BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 264

2009-02-01 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1939850

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL

MINDY -

Sadly, not the Browns, or the Patriots. Not the Chiefs. Not the 49ers (as one born in '49, I always liked them, even though their reference is to 1849 -- and, good gracious, I'm not THAT old!).

Beyond those four teams, it trickles down some to the next tier. I really liked the Redskins as a kid, as way back when (like, '38 is when they moved) they were in Boston, but all those years teaching on the rez made it politically incorrect to use the word "redskins" -- evn though many of the Mohawks embraced them BECAUSE of that name! Go figure?

Have fun at the obligatory party! This doesn't mean you were dragged there kicking and screaming, does it?

And moving on to MORE IMPORTANT TOPICS, today's swim sounds superb! The tired muscles are not at all surprising, given that you had two solid efforts on two consecutive days, and more importantly is that you felt good in the water AND when you were done. Can hardly wait until next weekend to find out how it goes!

2009-02-01 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1939415

User image

Yikes, that's a scary story about the tourniquet! She mentioned surgery to me also, within 2 mins of me being in the room (and I'd read the x-ray report before I went to see her, and it said "normal") so I was hesitant to say the least.

I ran 3.6 miles slowly yesterday, on some icy roads, and it was sore but not too bad.

On the breathing comments and swimming that some have mentioned, I've found it easier to exhale mostly with my nose while underwater, and then expel the last little bit with my mouth as I'm turning my head to take a breath in. It keeps the nose clear anyways. Not sure if this is the best way, but I've heard one coach mention it at least.

2009-02-01 7:40 PM
in reply to: #1896958

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ

Hi all! Sorry for disappearing for a few days! I had a good week, made all my workouts (and like Mindy, was finally starting to feel more comfortable in the water) until Friday. Friday I made it to the pool, but sadly didn't find time to put the bike on the trainer for 45 mins (I know - you'd think it would be the other way around since the trainer doesn't require leaving the house! But the pool is at school and I was already there...)

Yesterday was a great rest day, and today. Wow, today was the most gorgeous day we've had in a while - I'm sure Lisa enjoyed it too since we're in the same metro area. It was 60 and sunny! I got my bike 3 weeks ago in the middle of one of our worst cold snaps, so this was my first experience with 'warm weather' biking, and I had so much fun! At one point, I even hooked up with a group of women who were riding and I was able to keep up with them until I turned around to go home. They were really nice and we chatted, so that was good!

From my experiences riding today, I think it might be almost time to step up to 'big girl' (aka clipless) pedals and shoes. I'll probably end up going back to my LBS and having them help me pick out a set up, but do you guys have any suggestions? I know there are several different 'systems' (i.e. you guys were talking about Look and Speedplay before) but I don't know which one would be best for me (absolute beginner). Thoughts?

Oh, and on the topic of orthotics, I have a similar pair to Steve (hard, half length, with a hole cut out underneath one part of my foot), but they work for me. Two years ago I was diagnosed with a 'dropped metatarsal' by a podiatrist - basically you could feel one of the metatarsal heads dropping down and forming a callus on one of my feet - it looked like a wart actually. It wasn't really painful, but my foot would go totally numb after a few miles, which was really disconcerting. The orthotics were somehow, miraculously, covered by my insurance (ha! for once!), so I went ahead and got them. They have definitely helped, my foot doesn't go numb anymore, though that bone is still easily felt through the bottom of my foot... The only annoying thing was that I had to change shoes for them - I used to run in Asics 2XXX series, but they were too narrow to accommodate the orthotics so I spent most of the time squeaking down the road... Switched to Kayano's and haven't had problems since.

Anyway, time to hunker down and do some work, but I hope everyone is enjoying the SuperBowl. Even if you don't like either team, that 100 yard return was fun to watch

2009-02-01 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1940372

User image

Champion

ERIC and JESS -

I'll get back to you both tomorrow, I'm just too weary now to think and write sensibly. However, I AM capable of a few Super Bowl thoughts:

- "rumbled" - That's what James Harrison did when he returned that interception - he rumbled.

- That force-field thing Big Ben has working for him is pretty cool. I don't know exactly how it works, or even whether it is thermophysics or merely alchemy, but the way it repels blitzers and wannabe tacklers is just really nifty.

- No obviously concussed players during the game!

- Did I know Obama was a Steelers' fan? I knew he was a White Sox fan, but Rooney included him in his post-game thank-yous as if he is a hard-core Steelers' fan.

- The colors on the super bowl caps - the sea-foam green and the bucolic blue - must've been designed to be dissonant with either team's uniforms. I'm just sayin'.

- Not to worry, any of you. The Patriots WILL be back next year, and Super Bowl 44 WILL be theirs!

Good night, gang!
2009-02-01 10:55 PM

User image

Master

Hi Steve (or anyone else)

I got my bike fit today and I am anxious to start the training on the tri bike.  I do not want to do all my trng on the race wheels though so I will need to get a new cassette and possibly hub?? on some old Shimano whells I have had for about 10yrs on my road bike.  These wheels currently have an 8spd 11-21 cassette and I want a 10spd (prob Ultegra) 12-27...any advice?  Will I need a new hub.  

I would like to do this immedietly...and not spend hundreds of $ if I don't have to.

2009-02-02 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1940578

User image

Champion

SAX -

I'm no bike wiz, but I'll throw out a few thoughts here anyhow.
(1) Going from 8-speed to 10-speed will make a BIG difference for you. Wise idea!
(2) Going from 11-21 to 12-27 will make an ENORMOUS diffence for you!! You'll lose a small bit by way of "running out of gears" on fast, steep descents, maybe, but going from a 21 to a 27 will make climbing a relative breeze - and that might come in handy at your 70.3, which is sure to be hilly, yes? (more on gearing in 6, below)
(3) Yes, I think you'll need a new hub. I believe that some hubs can accommodate going from 8 to 9, but I'm guessing that 8 to 10 might require more "internal space". I suspect the easiest way to do this is with a new wjheel, but there are lots of good training wheels out there for not much money.
(4) It amazes me when I get new cassettes, that they are relatively inexpensive. It seems as if they should be pricey buggers, but for some reason they're not way out of line.
(5) Ultegra will work very well. I hear over and over that Dura-Ace is not comparably all that much better than Ultegra, given the jump in cost from U to D-A. I have a terrific LBS, and when I needed a new bike suddenly mid-season, they were pretty emphatic that my money could be better spent on something else, as opposed to going with Dura-Ace components. My understanding is the performance benefits are large going from 105 to Ultegra, but not as large going from Ultegra to Dura-Ace -- even though the two price jumps are comparable.
(6) Back to the gearing. Most people will tell you that a 27 will get you over practically anything; I think even the notoriously tough Auburn International Half-Iron (east of Sacramento?) says that a 27 will work just fine. The bike at Ironman Lake Placid is tough, and most people say a 25 or 27 is good there. In fact, I think most people would prefer a 25, just because they would rather have an extra smaller cog for the screaming descents that IMLP also offers. So.....If you consider yourself a mediocre climber at best, or if you have a VERY hilly bike course in one of your races, then the 27 would be suitable; otherwise, a 25 should work just fine. People who love hammering the flats will want an eleven, and there are times when I run out of gears and wish I had just one more. (I have two cassettes, 12-27 and 11-23. I think. I never can quite remember. For races, I use the former for really hilly stuff, the latter for flatter or rolling courses.) As I think more and more about this, definitely ask about how much you need a 27, and include your perception on the type of rider you are as well as details on the courses you will be racing this season.

Was the bike fit fun? How long did it take?

2009-02-02 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1940334

User image

Champion
ERIC -

What did your podiatrist recommend surgery for? Is your problem a neuroma? I'm trying to think what all can be wrong with a foot to warrant such a quick suggestion of surgery, and I'm not coming up with much. There are surgeries for bunions and surgeries for hammertoes, but these are usually not considered "first options". As for the neuroma thought, I'm sure that these don't show up well on x-rays.

I've had a litany of problems with my feet, and the end is not yet in sight. I'm sure that it will be my feet that are my ultimate undoing -- at least in terms of multisport stuff. (Yeah, I don't mean to say that my gravestone will read "Here lies Steve Bradley, removed from this mortal coil by a hammertoe on his left foot and a neuroma on his right foot.")

Your breathing technique sounds perfectly fine. The more that's expelled before turning for the breath, the better, but by your account it sounds as if there is just bit left to exhale, so that's probably good enough.

I think breathing is like trying to rub one's tummy while patting one's head, in that you can't exhale and inhale at the same time. I just messed around with trying to exhale out my nose while trying to inhale through my mouth, and all I succeeded in doing was making a stupid face - kind of like a mule grinning with a mouthful of briers.

When I try to breathe bilaterally, I find that for whatever reason I do not exhale as much underwater when I breathe to the left as when I breathe to my right, which is my "natural" side. It makes sense to me that my head doesn't roll as easily to the left as to the right, but I can't figure out why I exhale less underwater on my unnatural side. I'm heading to the pool in a while, and I think I'll work hard on this for much of my workout. ("Here lies Steve Bradley, perished at Brewer Pool from misbegotten bilateral breathing.")

Edited by stevebradley 2009-02-02 7:34 AM
2009-02-02 8:07 AM

User image

Champion

TGJESS -

Wow! It certainly sounds as if you are flying high these days, with all workouts going well and giving you pleasure. And that's as it should be!

It's great that some of you are already feeling comfortable in the water, as it's barely February and there are all those months ahead to continue becoming even MORE comfortable in swim mode. Swimming is sweet because it responds quite well to positive reinforcement, so I'm sure that your comfort and skill levels will continue to improve. Bravo!

Don't feel bad about not getting your bike on the trainer ---- although as I've said before I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. The long thing I wrote last week, something with GUILT in the title, was probably as much of an admonishment to myself as it was a thought-provoker and conscience-easer for all of you! And here's a guilt-trip back at you: I just couldn't be bothered putting my bike on th trainer last night, even though I had all those Super Bpwl hours in which to do so. It was in my plans since the middle of the week, as I figured that's what I would do after returning from Toronto and not having done ANY workouts since a couple of easy skis on Wednesday. But all I really wanted to do last night was watch the game and mess around with my guitar and mandolin, and that's how it all went down. Gulity today - oh yeah.

Oh, I envy you getting to do any outside ride yesterday! I also envy you hooking up with a group and just having that group-thing going for a while. We live way out in the country, and there is nobody for me to "play" with; all of my training for all of these years has been solitary. It does help me, however, during the long hours of longer races, but there are often times I wished I had some accessible training partners. Alas and woe.

I guess you've seen Neil and I go back and forth some about Speedplay pedals, but I think if you are just starting out with clipless, you might want to try Look. Why, you ask? Hmmmm.

Well, they are more "rigid", and the lack of "float" is better for beginners -- or for people who need more stability. Do you have hip or, especially, knee problems or concerns? If so, go with Look pedals, as the wider platform will give greater stabilty. Speedplay offers a range of pedals with different degrees of "float", but the platform itself is smaller than Look platforms. I've been in Look always, and my interest in Speedplay is simply through wondering what I might be missing. Yeah, I vote for Look for you!

Your dropped metatarsal head problem was different than mine. When mine dropped (unpredictable), it was as if they got locked into position and they would hurt a lot. I spent several seasons with felt pads self-cut and taped to my sockliner, and that worked -- to the point that I no longer need them. I'm not so naive that I believe the problem won't ever return, but for 2-3 years now my met heads have stayed put. I never had the callus thing, which is generally one of the key indicators that the met heads are felling frisky.

Santonio Holmes -- stretched out as far as his body will go, and still anaging to keep those toes in-bounds. Pretty fine level of bodily awareness, yes?

Congrats again on the swim successes, and just being able to bike outside!!
2009-02-02 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1940758

User image

Champion

DEMOCRACY IN ACTION --

How do you all feel about taking on a few more souls in this group? I'm asking because I see that Ron has listed the program as closed, but I don't know whether this is because there are no more mentors and all groups have become "full", or whether it's just closed for general purposes (maybe a Feb. 1 thing?).

If there are more people out there who want to get in a group, I'm ceratinly game. You currently number 13, although Patty, Isaiah, and Trevor have not been hurt from since their first post, I think. I cerytainly hope they are still part of us, and maybe it's as simple as Nathan said last week - that they've just forgotten.

At any rate, would you like more playmates in this group? Is the general thought that more people means more support and more opinions and more ideas? Or are we cozy enough with who we are as it is?

Let me know. I haven't done a "head count" of other groups, so I don't know what the going standard is. The initial instructions from Ron was a "ballpark" recommended figure of ten or so, and I settled on 13 just because it's my favorite number. (Using such scientific logic, it's probably good that my favorite number is not 41 or 57 or something up that way......)

Off to the pool with me, then!
2009-02-02 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Steve, as long as you don't mind, I certainly don't. Like you said, the more the merrier. I think it would be great to see some new faces.
2009-02-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1941403

User image

Regular

nhangen - 2009-02-02 1:26 PM Hey Steve, as long as you don't mind, I certainly don't. Like you said, the more the merrier. I think it would be great to see some new faces.

STEVE - sounds good to me. I get a kick out of reading everyone's posts and plan to stick around for a bit.

2009-02-02 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1941592

User image

Champion

GRACE -

Are you having sport with poor old me? Jeezum, I sure HOPE you stick around for a bit - and then some!
2009-02-02 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1941403

User image

Champion

NATHAN -

You fine with the Cards losing yesterday? I am. The Steelers may be deeply-entrenched enemies of the Browns......but there is a lot to admire about them, so overall I'm fine with it. However, I AM sorry that the season is over ------ although the actual baseball season begins in just about two months! Hooray! And, I still have the Bruins and Celtics to be giddy about, so it's all (mostly) good!
2009-02-02 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
More is great for me. I too enjoy reading the posts and everyone's stories.

.... I do REALLY hope we hear from the others, though!
2009-02-02 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
i am following a beginner HIM program. they give an estimated time for each work out. the workout today was as follows:
wu: 6x100
ms: 4x400
cd: 2x 150

here is my question: the program estimated this to be a 40 minute workout, yet it is taking me way more than 40 min. I don't fancy myself a speed demon, but I am no slouch either. should 2500 meters w/ breaks between sets really take 40 minutes?!? this was a "long swim" so I assume the pace isn't supposed to be race pace.

Just wondering....
lisa
2009-02-02 7:30 PM

User image

Master

the fit was great.  it took about 75 min total.  We took some pictures in the end and I resembled Dave Zabriskie so there is no excuse for being slow now. Riding aero is going to take some getting used to.  I often hit the downhills around Hollywood approaching 40mph...but I do that with finger on the trigger (brakes)...it seems crazy to have to come out of aero to get back to the breaks.  Hopefully the change will not take that long.

I havn't got the trng wheel built though and would rather not ride the race wheels around here...I just know I would thrash them.

yoga tonight...need more pigeon pose !

2009-02-02 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
ThatGirl - 2009-02-01 8:40 PM

I'm sure Lisa enjoyed it too since we're in the same metro area. It was 60 and sunny!

I sure did enjoy it!!! My husband and I had actually taken an exhausting trip to pa for the weekend, and got home later than I had hoped (3ish). We had switched the long run and the long bike in our program because I had seen the forecast earlier in the week and had visions of warm weather running. If I run on the treadmill one more time this year, I might kill someone. I had been doing well up until a few weeks ago when we were supposed to run 18 miles for marathon training and it was 9 degrees. I can't take the cold so I opted for the mill. I ran all 18 miles on the treadmill that day, and in one fell swoop eliminated my patience for the mill..... I am making it my personal mission to not step foot on one again until next winter (although, sadly the weather reports this week might force me on it again).

• ..anyway, i got home at 3pm on sunday, and the last thing i felt like doing was running 9 miles....so sleepy. BUT, i knew that if I didn't take advantage of that glorious day I would regret it. I had a great run too. the chiropractor and the foam roller might be doing their job!

• there is always a gorgeous warm day in february to give you a taste of spring, and there is always another few weeks of cold ready to sweep in and dash your hopes. blasted. ....and that damn groundhog didn't help things today either. bah!

i can't wait until we can all complain about the heat!!!

Edited by hooslisa 2009-02-02 7:35 PM
    2009-02-02 7:45 PM
    in reply to: #1942017

User image

Champion
    From Runner's World, March '09:

3 GOLDEN RULES OF INJURY-FREE RUNNING

-- 1. The longest run of the week should never be more than half of your weekly total.

-- 2. No limping.

-- 3. Increase mileage by no more than 10 percent weekly.

Added notes to these in RW say that for the first one, triathletes and marathoners tend to be ciulprits/victims, that form is gone by the end of the long run, and that it is a prime set-up for injury. For the second one, limping leads to compromised form, which often results in problems in other areas. This is qualified with a scale, wherein if the pain is minor (below 3 on a scale of 1 (no prob) to 10 (big prob), you can keep running. If above 3, back off.

These are good rules for all of us, and I, as a prime breaker of these throughout my "career", am trying to adhere to them more and more with each passing year. A "problem" that surfaced post-run 8 days ago has keep me from running since then -- and although I feel AWFUL about the time off, I'm feeling pretty cocky about my willpower and unusual display of intelligent restraint!

Stay healthy, gang!

Edited by stevebradley 2009-02-02 7:46 PM
    2009-02-02 8:07 PM
    in reply to: #1942255

User image

Champion

LISA -

Welcome home!

For that swim set.....yup, 40 minutes is pretty ambitious in my book! I would describe myself the same as you - not a speed demon, but no slouch, and unless I was at the ABSOLUTE peak of my swim game, on the best swim day of any given season, I couldn't do that in 40 minutes. Right now, I'd be at about 50 minutes, maybe a bit more, with breaks. It's possible that the setter of that program just made a mistake doing the math, by miscounting distance, but maybe she/he just has an elevated idea of how well a beginner HIM athlete could/should swim.

These sorts of things are always sort of deflating, aren't they? All too frequently I read the guidleines for swim sets and they are set "faster" than what I am capable of producing. When it's by a bit, that's okay, but by a lot, and I begin to psychologically creep into the "slouch" category!

That said, I know full well that the swim is my weakness. It used to be that my swim time for a race was at about the 30% range, meaning that 70% of the entire field of participants in a given race did the swim in a time better than mine. I have chopped into that nicely in the past few years, and now 50% is a bit more common, and at a couple towards the end of last season, I was at about the 65%ile; that is, slightly more than a third of all swimmers were better than I was. (In my age group, however, it is a MUCH rosier situation, with upper quartile not at all uncommon!! Hallelujah!)

Anyhow, I think that 40 minute "standard" for the workout you describe is slightly too ambitious. It is a good workout, to be sure, and if it keeps reappearing in youir schedule, just set your goal to do it a bit faster each time. And, I agree with your fianl statement - that it is a "long" swim, NOT to be done at race pace. (And race pace, for a beginner HIM athlete, is something that will not likely be established until many months into the swim program -- or, for that matter, into the bike and run portions of the schedule as well.)
    2009-02-02 8:13 PM
    in reply to: #1942273

User image

Champion

SAX and LISA -

I shall return, haven't forgotten about yours, Neil, or your other one, Lisa.

(Erp! Although reading about you and the 'mill, Lisa, I remember that I owe yukonjess a thought or two about 'mill workouts. My bad!)
    2009-02-02 9:20 PM
    in reply to: #1942262

User image

Champion

SAX -

Dave Zabriskie, eh? Yup, no excuses whatsoever!

I'm sure you will adjust quickly to being aero, with the brake levers OUT THERE. I amintain that, had time trial style bikes been available in the old wild west, gunfighters who also rode bikes would've been lightning fast on the trigger! You'll get proficient at moving quickly from bars to brakes, and the "twitchiness" of being aero in hairy situations will become second nature. And, for what it's worth, most riders stay on the hoods when bombing downhill, correctly figuring that in such matters discretion IS the better part of valor!

As for the training wheel matter, I raise my hand sheepishly as one who WAY too often uses his races wheels for everyday training. This is just pure, utter laziness, as switching out wheels is one of the bike maintenance skills that is well within my command. I'm not going to guesstimate how many hours my race wheels have spent in training mode, but it's way too many and has cut into their lifetimes significantly, I am sure. A ride here or there, however, won't hurt them much, and will serve to acquaint you, and then re-acquaint you, with how you and the bike feel with optimal equipment. So, go ahead and splurge a bit -- you have my blessing!

Happy pigeon-pose!

2009-02-02 9:24 PM

User image

Champion

MY RIDE THIS EVENING --

Overcast (uh, "low ceiling")
    Partially "sunny" (minimal lights)
    Warm (mid/high 60s) and quite muggy and calm (eschewed using the fan)

HA! Take THAT, all you outside riders!!!
    2009-02-02 9:35 PM

User image

Champion

LISA-

Sweet Mother of Mercy, Lisa, you deserve an award for fortitude above and beyond the call of duty (or sanity?)! 18 miles on the mill is at the extreme end of extreme, and you may not know it yet, but you just upped your Mental Toughness Quotient exponentially! (Actually, I say that only partially in jest - something along the lines of your mill epic DOES require mental toughness, and those lessons tend to stay ingrained; you WILL benefit from it in future races in which you have to dig deeper than you previously might've throught possible.) WELL DONE!

"I can't wait until we can all complain about the heat!!!" Truer words were never spoke!
    2009-02-03 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
    Nothing new from me.  I am OK with more people if they are out there!  No workout yesterday as I had other appointments during the day and I have 5th grade play duty every night this week.  I plan to get my run in today, I should be up to 5 miles.
    2009-02-03 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
    Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ

Hey Lisa - It doesn't help any since I'm a complete beginner, but the swim work outs have definitely been taking me longer that the schedule says they should.  For example, yesterday I was supposed to do 4x500. That's still a little much for me, so I cut it to 3x500, and with breaks and everything, it took me about 40 mins.  Maybe they mean 40 minutes of swimming not counting breaks? He never specifies the break time, which would help me, since I'm normally just making it up. For longer sets (i.e. the 500s) I take a minute or a minute and a half break, for shorter sets (i.e. the 100s or 50s) I make it 30 seconds? 

On another note, I too have pulled out an 18 miler on a treadmill and lived to tell the tale! I do very very poorly running in the heat - once in high school, I even had to be picked up by an ambulance after I collapsed in front of a gas station on a 7 mile run in 90 degree heat (ok, I was young, didn't realize the signs of heat stroke, and was just doing the workout the coach told me to do).  Anyway, I know that I personally do NOT do well in heat. Training for Chicago was more of a challenge for me since its in early October - a lot of the 20-milers had to be done in August and early September, when its still very hot and extremely humid in DC and NJ. Anyway, for this run I was up in NJ, and I just knew from the weather forecast that it was going to be too hot/humid for me, even if I got up at 4am. So I went to the gym and spent about 3 hours on the treadmill. The gym staff thought I was crazy! But I got the workout in...

Alright, I hope everyone has a great day!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 264