BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-04-21 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2100380

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
JJackson07 - 2009-04-21 11:43 AM

My first race of the year is next Saturday so I don't want to be missing any more training. I am getting pretty exciting as it involves some travel and camping and is an all around good time.

are you racing at lake tahoe??? it is beautiful up there year round. good luck on your race.

2009-04-21 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2100414

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
The race is the Wildflower in southern/central California at a lake pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It is a huge triathlon though, one of the biggest on the west coast. It is about a 7 hr drive for me so I will be heading down on next Thursday for the Saturday race. It is a really cool atmosphere with music and food and vendors that lasts from Fri to Sunday.

I am doing a tri in Tahoe in July. Should be really nice
2009-04-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2100741

JJackson07 - 2009-04-21 4:20 PM The race is the Wildflower in southern/central California at a lake pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It is a huge triathlon though, one of the biggest on the west coast. It is about a 7 hr drive for me so I will be heading down on next Thursday for the Saturday race. It is a really cool atmosphere with music and food and vendors that lasts from Fri to Sunday. I am doing a tri in Tahoe in July. Should be really nice

Cool! Sounds like a lot of fun! I've never gone to a really big race like that - at least not a triathlon. I've done running races with thousands and thousands of people, but that's a bit different.

2009-04-21 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Expert
Cambridge
well just back from the class.
IT WAS AMAZING
it felt soo good afterwards and i was keeping up with all the hardcore people in there until about 5 minutes from the end (45 min session)
so yeah i'm happy
2009-04-21 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2100797

SteveyD - 2009-04-21 4:35 PM well just back from the class.
IT WAS AMAZING
it felt soo good afterwards and i was keeping up with all the hardcore people in there until about 5 minutes from the end (45 min session)
so yeah i'm happy

Glad you had a good time!

2009-04-22 7:58 AM

Morning folks! It's kinda yucky here, once again. Supposed to rain on my track practice tonight. Hopefully the weekend will be better. Happy Hump Day all, and happy training!!

Kathleen, not sure if you saw my answer to your post about running form yesterday, but what do you feel as though you are doing wrong? As you may have seen from the threads in Tri Talk, there are no 100% "correct" ways to run. As a beginner, it's not necessary to overthink some of this stuff  Let me know - I'm not an expert, but I've gone through the "totally beginner runner" stage and have learned a lot, esp. in dealing with the leg length imbalance thing. 

2009-04-22 12:14 PM

User image

Good afternoon all!  I think it was Amy who was talking about the running form.  I was talking with you about the bike, and you echoed what my husband and his friend were thinking about the slicks... Sorry I've been sort of MIA, just was trying to rest and get over bronchitis; finally feeling a bit better, and the kids are sort of getting better although for the past 2 nights, our 3 yr old has been up for 2 hours in the middle of the night with fever... but he seems better today, so hopefully we will all be healthy and getting good sleep soon!!!

James, have a great time this weekend!!  Is your whole family going?  Good luck!!
2009-04-22 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2102827

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-22 1:14 PM Good afternoon all!  I think it was Amy who was talking about the running form.  I was talking with you about the bike, and you echoed what my husband and his friend were thinking about the slicks... Sorry I've been sort of MIA, just was trying to rest and get over bronchitis; finally feeling a bit better, and the kids are sort of getting better although for the past 2 nights, our 3 yr old has been up for 2 hours in the middle of the night with fever... but he seems better today, so hopefully we will all be healthy and getting good sleep soon!!!

James, have a great time this weekend!!  Is your whole family going?  Good luck!!

Ah, right! Sorry that I got you guys confused - Bad Mentor, Bad! Yes, I remember now - slick tires. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. I think as a group, folks don't spend a ton of time on BT during the day, which is understandable I just have a job that allows me to 'multi-task'

(So then let me ask AMY what she felt as though was wrong with her running?)

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-04-22 12:22 PM
2009-04-22 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2100015

User image

Regular
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-21 12:12 PM

All right - did a little bit of research on the Chi Running thing. Looks like it's just one of many books out there that advocate mid/forefoot strike and argue AGAINST heel striking. Remember the earlier posts that I wrote - heel striking is not inherently bad. What is bad is your foot strike landing outside your center of gravity, ie, too far forward - this is one of those universal "bad" things, not where the foot strikes in and of itself. Everyone's footstrike is different - adapting to better running technique (ie, not overstriding, bringing your knee up, getting a good push-off behind you) MAY change your footstrike, but it might not. Make sense?

Makes sense, I guess I need to get some opinions.  I think I don't run right because I feel every single step in my knees.  I don't have the greatest knees, but it just doesn't feel right.  It also takes a LOT of effort for me to even run at a 5 on the treadmill.  I can do 2 minutes but it is crazy hard and I cant seem to get past that 2 min mark.  When I compare the effort to anything else I do it just seems so hard to me.  I seem to run upright, and when I read about where your body should be in proportion to your hips and feet I guess I just feel like I am wrong.  I will try to get more input.  Maybe I am just discouraged! I feel like a giant lumbering idiot when I run.  Clump! Clump! Clump!

I ordered my pedals!

What kind of transition bag do you use Chrissy?  What did you use Steph?  James?

Edited by amkaz 2009-04-22 12:29 PM
2009-04-22 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2100797

User image

Regular
SteveyD - 2009-04-21 3:35 PM well just back from the class.
IT WAS AMAZING
so yeah i'm happy

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job!
2009-04-22 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2102852

amkaz - 2009-04-22 1:24 PM
Makes sense, I guess I need to get some opinions.  I think I don't run right because I feel every single step in my knees.  I don't have the greatest knees, but it just doesn't feel right.  It also takes a LOT of effort for me to even run at a 5 on the treadmill.  I can do 2 minutes but it is crazy hard and I cant seem to get past that 2 min mark.  When I compare the effort to anything else I do it just seems so hard to me.  I seem to run upright, and when I read about where your body should be in proportion to your hips and feet I guess I just feel like I am wrong.  I will try to get more input.  Maybe I am just discouraged! I feel like a giant lumbering idiot when I run.  Clump! Clump! Clump!

I ordered my pedals!

A couple thoughts:

1. Do you always run on the treadmill? I find that the treadmill messes with my running form, not to mention that it seems to be harder. And I can run for a long time on the regular road/trail, etc. Try running outside on asphalt or packed dirt, etc.

2. Have you been fitted for the proper running shoes - like gone to a real running store (not Sports Authority, Foot Locker, etc), and had someone watch you run and then suggest some shoes for you. The analysis at most running stores isn't super-thorough, but they usually know enough to get you into the right type of shoe (neutral, stability, etc), and then you can go from there. Secondly, if you HAVE been fitted for good shoes, have you had them a long time? If they are old, you should replace them - generally 300-500 miles depending on size and various other things.

3. You are doing run/walk intervals and that is good! But when you run, are you perhaps running too fast? Try slowing down a touch, and see what that does.

Congrats on the new pedals - what kind did you get?

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-04-22 12:33 PM

2009-04-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2102835

User image

wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-22 1:17 PM

Ah, right! Sorry that I got you guys confused - Bad Mentor, Bad! Yes, I remember now - slick tires. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. I think as a group, folks don't spend a ton of time on BT during the day, which is understandable I just have a job that allows me to 'multi-task'

(So then let me ask AMY what she felt as though was wrong with her running?)

I LOVE 'multi-tasking'!!!!

2009-04-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2103041

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-22 2:18 PM

I LOVE 'multi-tasking'!!!!

Hehe My job is all right - it's not my ideal position, but I can't really be picky in this economy with the weirdo background that I have. It's close to my house and the hours are good so I can make all of my tri training sessions with my team

2009-04-22 2:43 PM

User image

That's great that you're close to home!!  I know a lot of people in your area who have crazy commutes, which would completely take over training time!! Wink  I'm really lucky with my job, I have great flexible hours so I can not have to rush the boys in the morning, and I am home Fridays with them.  And i can fit in workouts in the morning!!!
2009-04-22 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2103316

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-22 3:43 PM That's great that you're close to home!!  I know a lot of people in your area who have crazy commutes, which would completely take over training time!! Wink  I'm really lucky with my job, I have great flexible hours so I can not have to rush the boys in the morning, and I am home Fridays with them.  And i can fit in workouts in the morning!!!
\

Yup - most of my friends have really long commutes, even though the distance isn't far, since traffic is SO bad here. I work in Tysons Corner (as you are familiar with the area a bit, I assume), and leaving at 5:30 makes a huge difference as opposed to my old job, where I left at 6:00. BIG difference.

2009-04-22 3:00 PM

User image

Tysons Corner is GREAT!!!  My Dad loves it so much, that he always finds an excuse to head down that way before Christmas!!!  Lucky for the rest of my family!!

2009-04-23 8:19 AM

Happy Thursday! My track practice was cancelled at the last minute last night because the school where we were going to practice hadn't updated their sports calendar, so there was a game going on. We normally don't run at this school, but it seemed to be the only one open. Can't wait until spring sports are over!

2009-04-23 8:32 AM

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
That sucks, so what do you do at a track practice? I imagine it is to increase speed, right?
2009-04-23 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2104816

steph94483 - 2009-04-23 9:32 AM That sucks, so what do you do at a track practice? I imagine it is to increase speed, right?

Yes, we do some interval/speed work - warm-up first, then do various intervals at a certain pace/heart rate zone (if you train that way), like 4 x 400s (a 400 is 2 laps of the track) with rest intervals, pick-ups, or short 20" sprints, etc.

So instead, I just ran 3 miles at tempo-ish pace (not quite race pace, and not quite all out, but pushing it).

2009-04-23 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Sorry to hear about your cancelled practice Chrissy.

I had another rough night with two sick kids and a sick wife. Lots of throwing up and fun stuff like that. Hopefully they get better soon. I am usually pretty lucky in that I don't get the junk that they do, but I am a little worried this time with a race next weekend. My wife teaches kindergarten, so gets all sorts of germs and fun stuff. So I really couldn't go off for an hour run after everyone was in bed because they weren't in bed. A little frustrating, but I know it wasn't because I was being lazy.
2009-04-23 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2104892

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
JJackson07 - 2009-04-23 8:52 AM Sorry to hear about your cancelled practice Chrissy. I had another rough night with two sick kids and a sick wife. Lots of throwing up and fun stuff like that. Hopefully they get better soon. I am usually pretty lucky in that I don't get the junk that they do, but I am a little worried this time with a race next weekend. My wife teaches kindergarten, so gets all sorts of germs and fun stuff. So I really couldn't go off for an hour run after everyone was in bed because they weren't in bed. A little frustrating, but I know it wasn't because I was being lazy.

Sorry about the family being sick. You should dip your wife in a sanitizer when she gets home from school, or have her wear hazmat gear when she's around those little germ factories.  Tongue out

James, your race this weekend sounds really cool. I'm to timid on the mountain bike to actually race. My husband actually races mountain bikes, and I'm trying to convince him to do an "off road" triathlon. We'll see. Good luck this weekend.

2009-04-23 9:05 AM

User image

Regular
Sorry they canceled your practice!

Last night I went to the recommended tri store by my folks house when I went to see them and found my tri suit.  It's a two piece not a one piece because the one pieces did NOT fit me right. Thank goodness I didn't buy anything on eBay!

I have Masters Swimming tonight, so I am trying to keep my neck and traps stretched out, I am still feeling them from last weeks practice.

James I hope your family is well soon!

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by amkaz 2009-04-23 9:05 AM
2009-04-23 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2104942

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
amkaz - 2009-04-23 9:05 AM Sorry they canceled your practice!

Last night I went to the recommended tri store by my folks house when I went to see them and found my tri suit.  It's a two piece not a one piece because the one pieces did NOT fit me right. Thank goodness I didn't buy anything on eBay!

Yeah for the new clothes. My husband bought the tri stuff I wore last weekend for my birthday. Everything fit great. I felt like a super hero when I first tried it on. I thought I was so cool. Cool
2009-04-23 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2104942

amkaz - 2009-04-23 10:05 AM Sorry they canceled your practice!

I have Masters Swimming tonight, so I am trying to keep my neck and traps stretched out, I am still feeling them from last weeks practice.

James I hope your family is well soon!

Have a great day everyone!

Congrats on buying fun new tri gear! Your neck should NOT be hurting a week later from swimming - in fact, it shouldn't be hurting at all. Sounds like your head position is a little off. Do the Masters coaches watch you and give you feedback? If not, perhaps ask them?

2009-04-23 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
Wow. Slow news day, huh?

Going to ride with a friend around Lake Hefner tonight (10 miles). Then going to try and ride my bike to work in the morning. Wish me luck.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29