BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-08-05 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2329823

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD
Mairtin - 2009-08-05 12:53 PM Marsha thanks for the advice,

trouble is im not even at the level of ability where i can swim laps...i pretty much went to the leisure pool and splashed back and forth on a 25yard or there abouts length of 3 feet deep water. im pretty broad across the shoulder and not very flexible so turning in the water is an issue and also my hips ride too low in the water and i just cant seem to keep them up

Go to www.youtube.com and search for Total Immersion.  They have several videos and I believe the latest 6 part lecture is on there.  It demonstrates proper technique, many drills and the concept of hydrodynamics (how to let you head drop so your hips will ride higher in the water).

Whatever you do, do not get discouraged.  When I began in Sept. 2008 I could not swim laps either, especially the breathing.  after a half dozen trips to the pool I developed "some" general idea of how to swim and then took swim lessons.  After four lessons, I felt much better in the water.  The great thing about not knowing how to swim properly is that you don't have any bad habits.  It is easier to learn to swim than to correct bad habits.

Good luck and stay focused.

2009-08-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Thats comforting to know. I would be lying if i said I hadnt left the pool feeling as though the completion of a Tri was out of reach. Thats the great thing abotu this site I guess, someone else has already been where you are and made it out alive and stronger. I will just have to go back and aggravate those old timers again tommorow.
2009-08-05 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Total Immersion is a GREAT idea.  I've read the book and looked at some of the video.
Probably the best technical explanation out there for adults learning how to swim.
Keep it up.

Just 7 months ago I couldn't run a mile without walking.  Now I can run 8 no sweat.  I used to say I wasn't a "runner".  Now I LOVE it!!  I even run when I"m on vacation.  TOO WEIRD!

Hopefully you will soon be able to say the same about swimming!!!
2009-08-05 2:40 PM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Thats the crazy thing,

i know I can knock out a three mile run, probably not the fastest but I can do it, and riding 14 miles again not an issue, but swimming is something I have always wished I could do and do as smoothly as the folks I see darting up and down the lanes at the pool. So my desire to do Tri is gonig to make that happen.
2009-08-05 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2330140

User image

Prattville
Mairtin - 2009-08-05 12:40 PM Thats the crazy thing,

i know I can knock out a three mile run, probably not the fastest but I can do it, and riding 14 miles again not an issue, but swimming is something I have always wished I could do and do as smoothly as the folks I see darting up and down the lanes at the pool. So my desire to do Tri is gonig to make that happen.

Mairtin -
  I was in the same boat about a year ago.  It does take some time, but you hit these points where you truly do breakthrough.  Just keep at it.  Focus on controlling your breathing just like in running.  Breathe out while your face is in the water and stroking, and then roll as far as you have to to get a breath.  If that's a problem, work on rolling.  The TI (Total Immersion) stuff is great.  Highly recommend joining a Master's group at the pool where you can get some instruction.  Start the lessons sooner rather than later.  And don't fear, you can do it!

Cheers,
Cory 
2009-08-05 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2330140

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Mairtin - 2009-08-05 2:40 PM Thats the crazy thing,

Total Immersion has swim camps all over the country.  Check out their website and find a camp near you.  I guarantee you will get more from a swim camp with TI than 2 months of private swim lessons.  If you have a local Tri team, ask some of the more experienced Tri people to let you train with them and then get them to give you pointers.  The most important thing to do is to learn to relax in the water.  The water is your friend...lol.  The great thing about swimming is you can actually get faster by simply learning to be more relaxed and streamline in the water, without putting out more effort.  It's the only one of the three disciplines where you can get that free speed.  Even cycling does not give you the same amount of free speed by simply going aero.  The more relaxed and technical you are, the faster you will be, without putting out extra effort.

That's my 2 cents.  The swim is actually my favorite of the three disciplines.

2009-08-06 8:25 AM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Thanks for weighing in all,

Yesterday I stumbled across swim.com and after running a quick search for private lessons in my area i found a guy who might just fit the bill. He is a swim coach at a nearby private highschool so he might jump start my swimming rebirth. I havent yet had an opportunity to check out TI yet but will get on that. IF they have a clinic in my area I might check it out. I have already been in touch with the closest Tri Team to me clevelandtri.com and they do have swim sessions regularly but they are all open water and at the moment im not ready for that. After a few weeks of lessons, and an increase in my confidence in the water I will defnitely get with those guys and gals. On a seperate note, have any of you completed a century ride? Since im recovering from some ligament damage to my right ankle running has been pretty much of the table. biking was something i was able to do despite the cast and so i started training for a century happening in september. What kind of training have you guys done for a century. Im getting a bunch of different advice from folks. Some say I should only concern myself with distance to biuld endurance, others say I should do interval training and mix it up with pace sessions and sprint sessions.
2009-08-06 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2331262

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mairtin - 2009-08-06 8:25 AM Thanks for weighing in all,

Yesterday I stumbled across swim.com and after running a quick search for private lessons in my area i found a guy who might just fit the bill. He is a swim coach at a nearby private highschool so he might jump start my swimming rebirth. I havent yet had an opportunity to check out TI yet but will get on that. IF they have a clinic in my area I might check it out. I have already been in touch with the closest Tri Team to me clevelandtri.com and they do have swim sessions regularly but they are all open water and at the moment im not ready for that. After a few weeks of lessons, and an increase in my confidence in the water I will defnitely get with those guys and gals. On a seperate note, have any of you completed a century ride? Since im recovering from some ligament damage to my right ankle running has been pretty much of the table. biking was something i was able to do despite the cast and so i started training for a century happening in september. What kind of training have you guys done for a century. Im getting a bunch of different advice from folks. Some say I should only concern myself with distance to biuld endurance, others say I should do interval training and mix it up with pace sessions and sprint sessions.

I will x4 on the TI swimming. And I think the coach you will start working with will help enormously. Swimming is really all about technique. For what it's worth, here are a couple of my tips:

• To make sure you're breathing out in the water, blow bubbles and blow out with some noise. You should hear yourself underwater exhaling before turning your head to inhale.
  • Bi-lateral breathing (breathing to each side on 3 or 5 strokes) is great, but if you find that you don't have enough breath to carry you through, then stick to breathing on one side. I breathe almost entirely to the left. I can bilateral breathe if needed, but find I have a better rhythm if I breathe each full stroke.
  • To help raise your hips, think about driving your chest down toward the bottom of the pool. Kind of swimming "downhill," if you will. Don't actually swim toward the bottom of the pool, it's more of a positioning drill. Also, make sure you head is all the way in the water and you are looking at the bottom of the pool (not at the wall across the pool...but do pull your eyes up before you run into the wall. )
  • Until you feel fairly comfortable with your stroke, don't worry about swimming laps. Do drills, drills, and more drills. (Your swim coach will certainly give you a lot of those).

As for the century ride: is it a race or a group/club/fun ride? Personally, since you are fairly new to the sport, I would not worry about speed at all. It's not useful unless you have a good endurance base, and without that endurance base, you're likely to get injured. So, I would concentrate on just going the distance. I've done a few half centuries and the MS 150 a couple of times, and they are relaxed and fun with plenty of stops along the way to break the ride up. It can be a really nice way to spend a day. When I was training for IMFL, I rode a couple of 100+ milers by myself and because the intent was different, the tenor of the ride was different with some focus on tempo riding. But, that was after I had been riding a few years and really worked my endurance up to that level.

Right now...I just say have fun with the whole thing. Work on being able to go longer (gradually), work on learning how to swim, and work on making sure you stay healthy and injury free.

2009-08-06 9:19 AM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Its not a race just a club ride. It is the Hancock Horizontal Hundred
2009-08-06 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2331424

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mairtin - 2009-08-06 9:19 AM Its not a race just a club ride. It is the Hancock Horizontal Hundred

Then, there's no reason to do any speed training. Just work on getting the distance and endurance you need.

2009-08-07 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Well, looks like somebody's racing this weekend...go, Cory, go!

As for me, it's just a longish run tomorrow (~ 9 miles), which I am really looking forward to with it's tempo intervals. Really. Then, another 4-hour ride on Sunday. I have mixed feelings about that. It's going to be hot, and I can't seem to get anyone to join me. I'll be talking to myself a lot.

What's up for everyone else?

2009-08-07 9:14 AM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Tonight i have an easy paced 15 mile ride with another milestone ride to follow tommorow. 50miles along the scenic tow path trail that runs from Akron to Cleveland for abotu 60 miles. Tommorow will be an out and back though. Although I may have to wait until sunday for the fifty since i was just informed it is meant ot rain tommorow.
2009-08-07 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2333784

User image

Veteran
Barrington
kvesey - 2009-08-07 8:35 AM

As for me, it's just a longish run tomorrow (~ 9 miles), which I am really looking forward to with it's tempo intervals. Really. Then, another 4-hour ride on Sunday. I have mixed feelings about that. It's going to be hot, and I can't seem to get anyone to join me. I'll be talking to myself a lot.

"Talking to yourself"....I thought I was the only one.

I would rather ride outside than spin, but it sure is ideal to have a companion.  )

Go early and beat the heat.

I'll be running with Alpine Runners on Saturday morning (8-10 miles), My knee feels a bit swollen, almost as if I've hyper-extended it.  So we'll see. 

I would like to squeeze in a ride after the run, but my weekend is filling up fast.  Going to "spectathelete" on Sunday morning.  Supposed to get into the 90's this weekend for the first time this year.  YUCK

My "A race" is next SUNDAY!!!  the kids will be doing their tri next Saturday.

I'm totally psyched and I just hope my knee gets better instead of worse.  Haven't felt this strong since the old college days.

Good luck this weekend Cory!!!!

Edited by Mars11 2009-08-07 12:14 PM
2009-08-07 1:37 PM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls

Yup good luck tommorow Cory, sounds like it will be a blast

2009-08-07 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2334373

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-08-07 12:08 PM
kvesey - 2009-08-07 8:35 AM

Go early and beat the heat.

Bwahahaha! You think early in Mississippi makes a difference? I will go early, but it will probably be close to 80 by the time I get started.

2009-08-07 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Have a great weekend everyone, and stay safe!

2009-08-07 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Thanks Karen and you have a great weekend.  If I could hang with you for 4 hours, I would certainly ride with you this weekend.  I was thinking I might attempt the Byram to Magee Century ride.  However, I have some concerns about the hills.  I have never stretched beyong 60 miles and certainly not at the pace some of those guys will be riding.  You going on that one?
2009-08-08 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2335031

User image

Veteran
Barrington

Bwahahaha! You think early in Mississippi makes a difference? I will go early, but it will probably be close to 80 by the time I get started.

Karin,
YOU ARE SO FUNNY!!  I've never read someone laughing.  I can hear it now.....bwahahaha!!!!!

Thanks for  the laugh.Laughing

2009-08-08 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2335652

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-08-08 9:45 AM

Karin,
YOU ARE SO FUNNY!!  I've never read someone laughing.  I can hear it now.....bwahahaha!!!!!

Thanks for  the laugh.Laughing

Happy to oblige. 

Now, go ride your bike!

2009-08-09 7:29 PM

User image

Prattville
Thanks for all the well wishes on the race. I was pleased with my performance, overall, but the bike leg was a little disappointing because of a preventable mechanical issue. Basically, my rear skewer (the one for my trainer) doesn't hold the wheel on the bracket very well and so the tire was rubbing against the frame ALOT for the entire ride. I should have replaced it, but I'd never had a problem with it before. It was so bad that when I jumped off the bike for T2, the rear wheel wouldn't spin and I had to carry the bike to the rack. Live and learn. Full race report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2009-08-10 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2337343

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-08-09 7:29 PM Thanks for all the well wishes on the race. I was pleased with my performance, overall, but the bike leg was a little disappointing because of a preventable mechanical issue. Basically, my rear skewer (the one for my trainer) doesn't hold the wheel on the bracket very well and so the tire was rubbing against the frame ALOT for the entire ride. I should have replaced it, but I'd never had a problem with it before. It was so bad that when I jumped off the bike for T2, the rear wheel wouldn't spin and I had to carry the bike to the rack. Live and learn. Full race report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=173983.Cheers,[/QUOTE]

Awesome, Cory! Congratulations on a good race and keeping it together in the face of some challenges.

2009-08-10 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2335129

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-08-07 6:26 PM Thanks Karen and you have a great weekend.  If I could hang with you for 4 hours, I would certainly ride with you this weekend.  I was thinking I might attempt the Byram to Magee Century ride.  However, I have some concerns about the hills.  I have never stretched beyong 60 miles and certainly not at the pace some of those guys will be riding.  You going on that one?

I am going to do that ride, but not sure I will go for the full century, maybe just the half. They are working on putting something together so folks who want to do just the half can get their bikes back to Byram. Also, don't worry about how other people are riding. There certainly will be the crew of people who hammer the ride, but then, there will also be the rest of the people (like me) who just think it's all good fun and simply enjoy the ride. For me, it will be a road bike ride (rather than the tri bike), which helps reinforce the more laid back approach.

2009-08-11 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

So, it appears that the spring mentor program is officially ending. I feel like we just got started, but it's actually been 4 months. My goodness, time flies.

Anyhoo, feel free to keep this thread going. I will definitely continue to pop in so long as you keep posting.

Congrats on all the successful training and racing and good luck with everything down the line!

2009-08-11 9:21 AM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Wow, no kidding. I really did just get started but even so I got some good tips. Thanks everyone for your input. I will keep popping in to see if you guys are keeping this thread going.
2009-08-13 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2340935

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-08-11 8:56 AM

So, it appears that the spring mentor program is officially ending. I feel like we just got started, but it's actually been 4 months. My goodness, time flies.

Anyhoo, feel free to keep this thread going. I will definitely continue to pop in so long as you keep posting.

Congrats on all the successful training and racing and good luck with everything down the line!

Will you being doing another group?  If so, can I beg for a spot?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11