BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-05-10 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2077527

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Jackjack's group - closed
Happy Mother's Day!  I sent my Mom some purple tulips - she loves tulips!  Hope everyone had a safe, relaxing day.

My five:
1.  1/2 c strawberries
2.  1 apple
3.  baby carrots (a bunch of them!)
4.  salad
5.  1/2 c zucchini with dinner

Long run today - the wind was a spectacular 25-25 mph.  And somehow, it always seems to blow in my face.  Otherwise, it was an absolutely gorgeous day and a good run.  I got farther up river than I've ever been before!!

2009-05-11 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2142026

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning ladies!

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  Another fresh week now and another week closer to a looming exciting triathlon season so, if you haven't already it's a good idea to plan your training for the week - even write it on your calendar and you may be more likely to do it!

I decided to give the 5k a miss but I did bike and swim over the weekend and did a 15min jog last night and my knee seems fine.  I'm so glad I rested it immediately as a few days off seems to have done the trick.  So, I am excited now about the duathlon this weekend.

What are you all up to?
2009-05-11 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!
I set my alarm for 5 this AM, and got my run in before anyone else was up!!
Today is my Dad's 70th birthday-so we're going to have dinner with him and my Mom this evening. He hasn't been feeling well for a few months, so this is definately a special night!

I spent a little time on my  new bike, and I'm worried that it's just too big for me. I hope to take it to my LBS and see what they say.

My goal this week is to follow my training plan as closely as I can. Life seems to have settled down around here, so I'm hopeful!

Jackie- I'm glad your knee is feeling better.

Rachel- Was the Tri you volunteered at put on by "Max Performance"? If so, what did you think of them?

Edited by slow turtle 2009-05-11 7:16 AM
2009-05-11 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
I love an honest LBS, even if I don't like what I hear from them.

I brought my new bike in today at lunch time to see about making some fit adjustments.  The guy in the shop essentially told me that the frame is just too big for me. He said he could do a few things to make the fit better, but it won't be great, and I'd still be at a high risk for injuries due to the fit.

So, now I have a road bike that is too big, and I'm back to square one. I'll talk to my husband tonight and see if he wants it, or should I put it on CL. GRRR.
2009-05-11 1:04 PM

User image

MA
the tri i volunteered for was run by max performance. Overall i thought they handled things very well. They were thrown some curve balls throughout the day due to the high winds. Most of the tents they had set up the day before had been blown down. Their buoys drifted. They instated a delay due to water conditions. They were able to overcome all of this and still put on a good race. They had lots of volunteers so racers always seemed to be well informed. I talked to some of the racers after they finished and they seemed to have a fun day. Are you considering running one of their races?

I hope your dad is feeling better. Have fun at dinner tonight!

So i finally went running again today. And it actually felt pretty good yay! When should you buy new running shoes? I always seem to wear away the insides of my shoes near the heal. I'm not getting any blisters yet and i haven't noticed any new pains that may result in a break down of my shoes, but i also don't want to get to that pt...

I also emailed a local masters coach today to find out what the rates were and if i could join their group. If i don't hear back from her today i may just drop by their next practice and try to talk to her.

On the fruits and veggies thing, so far I have had
1 serving - OJ
1 serving - banana
1 serving - veggies: eggplant, zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, spinach

the sandwich i made for lunch was super tasty. It was the first time i had made it. I've put the link for the food network recipe below.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/grilled-vege...

Hope everyone is having a great day!!!
2009-05-11 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Jackie-  glad your knee seems to have enjoyed the rest!  I cringe when I read about the tri races that become du's ... egads, running before AND after biking?  I guess to me, most of the time the pre-bike run distance measures aggressively long as a substitute for a swim.  IMHO    But I'll still cheer you on!

Heidi- Enjoy your Dad's dinner!  Sorry your bike is not the right fit.  dang.  Hopefully you can resell it easily to a slightly taller tri'r  

Rachel- Good for you to volunteer!  I've thought about it, but such eats into "family time" so haven't tried to volunteer at a race yet.  We have done some family volunteer activities, e.g., trash pickup can be done with kids - with a little supervision to ensure no really nasty trash :P

Dee - how was camping? 

Jenny - Where are you?!  AH, I peeked at your logs, fatiguing virus still got you.  I wish you easy recovery.  I'm better, but still sluggish.

Di - Are you familiar with Zachary's pizza?  That was my dinner last night   If you are not, hop over to Berkeley for a thick crust sometime - the spinach and mushroom is divine.

I'm "healthy" again -- had the energy to go clothes shopping yesterday and scored a new training swimsuit, skirt, shorts, pants, and 2 tops.  And 2 swim suits for my daughter.  I was tired after shopping, but more "normal" tired, not the fatigue of last week.  That said, I wasn't able to meet my running goal for this morning, but did not feel as wobbly as after my swim on Friday so hopefully a few more good meals and nights of sleep will have me back on track.  This morning I felt my body was just overheating when running and I couldn't keep cool enough to be comfortable to run.  Some of that is due to my rosacea, some likely lingering effects of being ill.

Happy Monday all!
-Cynthia

2009-05-11 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2143713

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Yeh
glad to see (nearly - get well soon Jenny) all of us are feeling better.  Speedy full recoveries everyone

That really sucks about the bike.  Did the bike shop tell you what size you needed so you can try and find another second hand?  Can they help you out with any second hands/ exchange?

Ha, my first ever Olympic tri (or what was supposed to be) was turned into a duathlon cos the waves on the lake were too big.  I truly HATED it and I would have much rather swam in double size waves.  So, I have never even considered one before.  I guess the memory fades though and this one is right on my door step so not much effort to get to.
2009-05-11 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2143701

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Rachel
With running shoes, the guidelines are 300-500 miles depending on the wear.  If you don't track your mileage (which I don't) you can estimate it from time.  For me it works out about every 6 months for and I buy new ones closer to 300 than 500.  I use inserts and change those too at the same time.

Look after those feet - if you can see obvious wear on your shoes it suggests time to change or let a running shop at least have a look.  We have a great one here (a tri shop actually) where he puts you on a treadmill to jog and videos your feet (oo er missus) so he can look at your gait and suggest the right type of shoes.
2009-05-11 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Hi everyone!

I am glad to hear that most of us are healthy again.
We had a fun weekend camping and I even squeezed in 2 workouts: one run partway up Mosca Pass (a mountain pass- pretty much all up), and a 1.5 mile hike up the biggest sand dune I've ever climbed. It was fun - great weather and lots of sun.

I host a couple women-only groups locally (a running group and a triathlon group- both online forums)- we post our workouts weekly to the group, so on Monday we post what we are planning for the week. I think it helps to actually think about and visualize how your week is going to play out. Should we do the same here?

I would love to do an abs challenge this week. Anyone game to see how many minutes we can spend working our abs this week? I have done this one before with friends and it is pretty motivating.

Here is what's on schedule for me this week:
Non-workout related:
1. Pick my fall marathon and combine training plans
2. Eat healthy- no sweets except for at my soon to be 3-year old's birthday parties (Wed. and Fri).

Workouts:
Monday- swim 1500 speed workout plus weights
Tuesday-bike 60 minutes easy ; run 40 minutes tempo
Wednesday- bike 45-60 minutes at race pace
Thursday- 7 mile run; swim 2000 endurance workout plus light weights
Friday- nada
Saturday- run 9 miles on trails at our campground
Sunday- bike 90 minutes mixed terrain

Have a great day! I am off to make 4 batches of baked ziti for cooking club.

Dee
2009-05-11 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2144015

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks for the well wishes- today I felt a bit better and was able to lift and get in a swim at least. Don't think I'm up for the bike tonight though- I have a ton of work to get done and I feel wiped out. Try again tomorrow I guess.

I think the ab challenge is great. How could we set it up? Total number of exercises, time spent, how many days, etc. Ideas?

My half marathon is on Sunday. I am starting to get nervous. I hope I'm ready! Tomorrow is an easy 2 mile run and soccer practice.

Well, back to the pile of work...
Jenny

2009-05-11 7:55 PM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone!

Heidi - hope you had a nice evening with your dad. 

Jenny - welcome back!  Take care of yourself - sounds like you have a big weekend coming up Smile

I'm glad everyone is more or less feeling better.  Today is the first day my head's mostly clear, so that was wonderful.  I'm definitely game for an ab challenge - it sounds like Dee is simply suggesting that we shoot for time? 

By the way, Dee, you're workouts are so intimidating!  But I think posting is a good idea.  Once things are written down, I find they have a higher chance of happening.  My plans for the week:

Monday:  45 mins bike, lifting
Tuesday:  5 mile run, strides
Wednesday:  35 mins bike, 1/2 mile swim
Thursday:  5 mile run (hills)
Friday:  45 mins bike, lifting
Saturday:  5 mile run
Sunday:  5 mile run
Next week:  final exams!!

2009-05-11 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2144651

User image

Expert

Okay- I'm in for an "Abs/core" challenge.

Dinner with my parents was fantastic. My Dad told stories about one of his grandfathers. It was cool, because I had no clue that he knew his grandparents. Then we spent the evening outside with my daughter riding an old bike we found in one of the barns, and my son playing on the tractors. And a game of catch rounded out the night. It's hard for me to believe my dad is 70!

Workouts this week:
Monday-35 minute run
Tues- 55 minute swim
Weds-45 minute run
Thurs- 90 minute bike
Friday-Rest/ make up day for any thing I missed.
Sat- Go to New PAltz to pick my daughter up for the end of her semester. 50 minute run.

I think I'm going to try to sell the bike (although I'm bummed because I really like it). It's just too big. I'll continue to scour CL for something better. I really can't afford a new bike, unless it was entry level. The guy at the shop recommended buying a used bike that's better quality, after we talked about what my goals and needs are. I thought it was cool that he didn't try to sell me something off his floor. It makes me even more committed to using them for tune-ups and buying accessories as I need them.

Rachel-The Tri I signed up for last fall was Buzzards Bay Sprint, which was organized by Max Performance. The race was cancelled due to a hurricane. But MP was incredibly ethical. They gave us a FULL refund of our entry fees, and convinced the wetsuit company that they had an agreement with, to do the same.

Based on that experience, I would definately sign up for one of their races again this year.

2009-05-11 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Bummer on the bike. I think that when you find a bike that fits you well, you will be very very happy

Jackie, sorry about the huge waves in your race. I had a race with massive waves where they actually let us start (it was a swim-run event). I got hit so hard with a wave 100 yards out that it knocked my goggles off and almost drowned me. That was the only time I ever put my hand up for kayak help, which sucked that day, because each kayak already had 4-5 swimmers hanging out. I had to get myself back into shore.

Speaking of biking, I have a question: how much of your biking workout do you spend in your aerobars? I generally try to drop into my aerobars anytime I can maintain a decent pace and more importantly, keep control of my bike, so mostly on the flatter sections. I am not brave enough to try them on any kind of noticeable downhill.

So we are on for the abs challenge? Yippee!

I better get to bed. It is 10:30 here and my alarm is set for 5:30 am so I can ride outside before the kiddos are awake. I am hoping for 45-60 minutes on my bike, then I am meeting a friend for a social run. I am pushing my 2 yr old in the jogger while her 5 yr old rides his bike. So I'm sure we'll stop to watch the trains and the ducks and pick up rocks.

Have a great evening!
Dee
2009-05-12 6:41 AM
in reply to: #2144926

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning everyone

Abs/ core stuff sounds like a great idea.  Something I really need to work on and rarely do.  Time I think is better than number cos then we can do various exercises.  I am going to pledge to do at least 5 mins today!  I know that sounds pathetic but it is small enough that I may actually do it and anything is better than nothing.

I think it is a good idea to post your workouts - even if not here.  I have mine posted on my fridge at all times.   Not sure it is a good idea for me to put them here unless you girls want to see them (happy to if you do) just cos, well cos I've been doing this for years and I don't want you to find it intimidating.  Having said that, at the moment they aren't much more than Dee's!

Dee, on the aerobars thing.  Now we are close to race season I spend as much time as I can on aerobars.  However, I am extremely comfortable in that position now and unlike many many other people, even experienced people I will whizz down hills on them (if it's a safe hill ie little traffic, no intersections etc).  After about 35mph I feel I should be nearer my brakes so I change position.  It really is a personal thing. 
On my tri bike, it just seems natural to be in that position and it is really only for up hills and slow bits around traffic  that I come up out of the position.  However, on my road bike it is a bit different.  My workouts would incorporate aerobar training.  For example in a 60min ride I would have to do a 20min stretch in aeroposition in the middle.  My road bike is on my indoor trainer at the moment and it is easier to not be in aeropostion so when I am doing something inside then I make a point of going into aero position for  certain times.
The more comfortable you can be in the aero position, the more likely and probably more efficiently you will be to be like that on race day to reap the most benefits.

2009-05-12 8:04 AM

User image

Regular
For the record, I meant "intimidating" in the best way possible.  Smile

Have a good one!
2009-05-12 2:42 PM

User image

MA
I'm in for an abs/core challenge. I already unpacked my fit ball earlier this week. There is actually a great 6 cycle workout on here, somewhere. I'll have to find it again and post the link. I already have all the workouts printed out so i don't remember the article its in any more.

I went for my first ride outside this season today!! (kinda late i know, but oh well) I took it out to the bike trail not too far from my house. I'm rather scared of cars and don't know which roads are good around here yet so i went to the trail, which is fine for me while i work on my balance and such still. the only problem is no hills. it was a shorter ride because when i got out there i realized i had forgotten my water bottle. It is still packed somewhere in the multitude of boxes in my parents garage. Can't wait to move into my place so i can actually unpack everything... 1 more month ish

i heard back from the masters coach today and will try to head out to the pool tomorrow to join and start classes next week.

i am also considering running a 5k tomorrow night. I found a local group that puts on a 5k every wednesday night for only a $4 entry fee. I thought it might be a good way to mark my progress if i do it every other week or so.

hope everyone's day is going well.

-rachel

2009-05-12 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I think the 5k sounds like fun !

I did my first sorta-brick (bike: run) workout this morning of the season. I rode for 45 minutes at 5:30 am (wow, that was early), then came home, fed everyone breakfast, got my older son out the door for school, then popped my younger son into the jogger stroller for a 40 minute run.
I am totally wiped out now.
I am glad the only other thing on my agenda today is to frost some cupcakes and wrap presents.
I am having 5 kids over for a birthday party tomorrow mornining- all 2 and 3 year olds.

I'm going to go take a 30 minute nap before the bus comes.
Dee
2009-05-12 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2146727

User image

Master
Dee Cooper - 2009-05-12 1:43 PM I'm going to go take a 30 minute nap before the bus comes. Dee

Wow...sounds nice!
2009-05-12 7:57 PM

User image

Regular
Rachel - where are the weekly 5ks you're referring to?  That sounds really cool!!

I did my abs today in a five minute block:
1 min crunches
1 min suitcases
1 min toe touches
1 min hip raisers
1 min V sit hold

It was challenging... but I almost think I could have done it one more time with a break in the middle. 

Hope everyone had a good day : )
2009-05-12 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2146727

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good job Dee on your sort of brick!  Holding a party for 2 & 3 year olds surely must count in the training plan.  Happy Birthday to your son (?).
I confess I am off to bed and I haven't done those abs. Sheesh, how difficult can 5mins be in the scheme of things - to be honest I completely forgot.  I WILL do better tomorrow.  Well done Rachel for doing them AND posting them.  What are suitcases???????

2009-05-12 10:05 PM

User image

Regular
Laughs - it's Diana, Jackie.  Smile

I call them suitcases, but there may be another word for them.  you sit on the ground, bringing your knees up to your chest, grabbing your shins and balancing so you're feet don't touch.  Quickly extend your whole body (but don't touch your feet or shoulders to the ground) and then tuck up again.  I love these, but they can be kindof rough on your back and neck.

2009-05-13 5:31 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!
Jenny-How are you feeling? Physically and about this Weekends race?
Dee-Birthday parties for preschoolers are fun, but incredibly draining. Enjoy!
Diana- I like those suitcase things too. I think there's another name for them in Pilates, but I don't remember it right now.

I didn't get any abs in yesterday. I opted to hop on the bike last night instead.

Every one have a great day. I have a 45 minute run on the schedule for aafter work.
-Heidi
2009-05-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2147497

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Hello
I did them!  I can't believe how hard it is just to lie down and do 5 mins abs when I am happy to sw/b/r for hours but there you go!  I did basic crunches and variations in sets.  May have to work up to those suitcases.

It's a beautiful day here and I have been out for my run.  It was good but a lot harder than I anticipated - I am not very good in the heat and although it's only 70 here (only! - that's wonderful for here in May) it is probably my first heat adaptation run.

Hope you are all having a good day
2009-05-13 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
There's a good question - what's the best way to get used to working out in the heat?  The day I raced my 5k, it jumped from the 50s to about 82, and it was miserable.  Where I come from in CA though, it's already hit the 90s... thoughts?
2009-05-13 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Working out / acclimating to the heat:

I also need to get used to working out in the heat, running especially. I am doing a repeat of the Boulder Peak olympic triathlon in July. I did this race last year and the heat destroyed me on the 10k run. It felt like I was entering a blast furnace with no wind when I left the transition area. I remember walking the whole 10k, which is not normal for me. It was so hot I could have fried an egg on my head

So my thought is that in order to get used to racing in the heat, you have to actually work out in the heat. Start slow- do 10 or 15 minutes the first time you head out in the middle of the day. Drink lots of fluid, and make sure it has some electrolytes in it (Hammer Heed, Gatorade, whatever your preference may be). After a few times out, that 10-15 minutes won't seem quite so hot.
I am going to have to force myself to do my weekend runs during the day starting in June. I love to run and bike at 5:30 in the morning when it's still 45-50 degrees outside, but I know that won't help me come July.

Anyone else have any ideas? I see people running in place in the sauna at the gym, but that really doesn't interest me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  

of 27