BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-01-07 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2600293

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
KSH - 2010-01-07 10:54 AM Hello everyone! How is the training coming along? I am working on weights for cycling... running and cycling! My butt is so sore from the cycling... gotta break my butt back in! OH and I might not have a job after all. Feel free to read my Log for details.

Picking up the training just a tad.  Mentally muscled out an extra mile for you on the treadmill today.  Legs are sore here too, but not painful or injured.  Eagerly awaiting my 3 new pairs of shoes which should be here on Monday (crossing fingers for Friday delivery).  Will be doing at least 5 miles on Saturday (if Tania invites me along), maybe I should open the plan up and see what it calls for this week, hehe. (don't pull out your hair, not a good look for interviews) And will be doing around 4 at Sunday's speed work at the track.

Will start peppering in some good swims since nobody showed up to Tuesday's swim.  Should I jump right back into 3000+? or ramp it up from 2000 over the next month?

Guess I will check out my butt situation in a few weeks when I ramp up the biking.

2010-01-07 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2600293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
KSH - 2010-01-07 10:54 AM Hello everyone! How is the training coming along? I am working on weights for cycling... running and cycling! My butt is so sore from the cycling... gotta break my butt back in! OH and I might not have a job after all. Feel free to read my Log for details.

Ugh, Karen....so sorry to hear about the job. That sucks, stupid shady company.

Training is going, just trying to get a consistent routine going again. I still dread my runs, but I've hit most of them except for Christmas week. Now, just trying to incorporate more swimming and reintroduce my butt to my bike as well. I want to keep up with strength training and yoga, we'll see if I can squeeze it all in. Also, eating a bit healthier to shed the 5 lbs I gained. Back to logging what I eat, but not depriving myself of anything either.

Derek, how you going to call me out.....twice to boot! Wink Yes, run on Saturday but it will probably be more of a walk for you because I'm so slow. It's going to be cold (for us weanies down south) so I'm probably going to do it on a treadmill. Sorry, I couldn't make it to swim on Tuesday, but work has been hellacious plus I did abs and weights, so I was too tired to swim that night. Thinking I might have to do a swim another night? I want to swim 3 x a week, so I want to start going to master's again and practices are sooooo early. Ugh.
2010-01-07 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2600403

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
crews - 2010-01-07 11:29 AM

Training is going pretty well.  I'm working on weightloss more consistently now also.  Lost 3 lb since the 1st

Running is ok.  Lots of little aches and pains here and there in the legs.   I got on my bike (on the trainer) for the first time in awhile the other day...definately have to break the butt in again.  It was unhappy for sure after only 25 minutes!

Good luck with the job hunting...it can be so frustrating! 

WOW 3 pounds? Awesome!

I am logging my food again. But have not weighed myself. It's not really the time of the month to get an accurate reading.

Yeah, my butt is still hurting. The groin area really. Sad stuff. I need more padding on the seat.
2010-01-07 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2600727

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2010-01-07 1:07 PM

Picking up the training just a tad.  Mentally muscled out an extra mile for you on the treadmill today.  Legs are sore here too, but not painful or injured.  Eagerly awaiting my 3 new pairs of shoes which should be here on Monday (crossing fingers for Friday delivery).  Will be doing at least 5 miles on Saturday (if Tania invites me along), maybe I should open the plan up and see what it calls for this week, hehe. (don't pull out your hair, not a good look for interviews) And will be doing around 4 at Sunday's speed work at the track.

Will start peppering in some good swims since nobody showed up to Tuesday's swim.  Should I jump right back into 3000+? or ramp it up from 2000 over the next month?

Guess I will check out my butt situation in a few weeks when I ramp up the biking.

I am planning on being at the track on Sunday. I can't pass up pizza! Ha!

I am running 6 miles on Sunday... probably run around the neighborhoods for 3 or so and finish up on the track.

Otherwise... Friday and Saturday I am in a workshop all day preparing for my personal training certification.
2010-01-07 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2600921

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-07 2:17 PM

Ugh, Karen....so sorry to hear about the job. That sucks, stupid shady company.

Training is going, just trying to get a consistent routine going again. I still dread my runs, but I've hit most of them except for Christmas week. Now, just trying to incorporate more swimming and reintroduce my butt to my bike as well. I want to keep up with strength training and yoga, we'll see if I can squeeze it all in. Also, eating a bit healthier to shed the 5 lbs I gained. Back to logging what I eat, but not depriving myself of anything either.

Derek, how you going to call me out.....twice to boot! Wink Yes, run on Saturday but it will probably be more of a walk for you because I'm so slow. It's going to be cold (for us weanies down south) so I'm probably going to do it on a treadmill. Sorry, I couldn't make it to swim on Tuesday, but work has been hellacious plus I did abs and weights, so I was too tired to swim that night. Thinking I might have to do a swim another night? I want to swim 3 x a week, so I want to start going to master's again and practices are sooooo early. Ugh.

Yeah, better to be warmer especially with the lungs (hey we could go to that mini indoor track that Karen went to, but I bet I might get dizzy).  If it warms up enough for you, Andrea and I will be doing a run in the afternoon.  Hey, when I said nobody showed up for the swim, that included me, haha.  I can swim any night, Friday night I could actually swim at a normal time if you want to squeeze one in before you head out.
2010-01-07 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2601034

User image

Veteran
KSH - 2010-01-07 2:52 PM

I am planning on being at the track on Sunday. I can't pass up pizza! Ha! I am running 6 miles on Sunday... probably run around the neighborhoods for 3 or so and finish up on the track. Otherwise... Friday and Saturday I am in a workshop all day preparing for my personal training certification.

Glad you will make it out on Sunday.  Track will be around 4 miles, so just do an extra mile warm up and cool down.  I will do it with you if you want.

2010-01-07 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi everyone! Training is going - have a 4.5 mile run planned for tonight and then I WILL get back in the pool tomorrow for the first time since November. It's been a nice break from swimming but it's actually my favorite of all three sports so I need to get back at it. I'm trying to get up the courage to join my Y's masters team because I know it will help me get faster but I'm super intimidated. We have some very fast people who swim here in SF and since I don't yet average under 2:00/100 meters I don't know if I can hack it.

I found out today that I'm going to be missing my tri club's Wildflower Training Weekend, where everyone goes down over a weekend in March and trains on the Wildflower course. I was totally looking forward to it so I am kinda bummed but my husband and I will be flying back from a two week vacation in Italy so I suppose I can't complain too much. Wink
2010-01-07 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Well... I had all the intentions of doing my first swim of the year, but my little one got a night-long cough... so it quickly turned into my rest day. Hopefully tomorrow.

Just in case some of you Texans are fellow Longhorns... HOOK'EM!! :-)
2010-01-07 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2601081

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2010-01-07 3:07 PM

KSH - 2010-01-07 2:52 PM

I am planning on being at the track on Sunday. I can't pass up pizza! Ha! I am running 6 miles on Sunday... probably run around the neighborhoods for 3 or so and finish up on the track. Otherwise... Friday and Saturday I am in a workshop all day preparing for my personal training certification.

Glad you will make it out on Sunday.  Track will be around 4 miles, so just do an extra mile warm up and cool down.  I will do it with you if you want.

Well it's my long slow run... and it's a recovery week... so I'll be doing 6 miles at a EASY pace. Probably going to aim for a 9:30-10:00 minute mile.

2010-01-07 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
This might make you giggle...

I gave a girl my shoes tonight at the gym. Yes, my shoes. I had two pairs and she had left hers at home. She is probably with the resolution crowd and I didn't want her to miss her workout. So I gave her the shoes off my feet.

Of course, they are old running shoes that I no longer run in. I just use them for weights- lunges and stuff.

I got her number so I can get my shoes back next week.

2010-01-07 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Starting the year with a good dead... nice!! :-)

2010-01-07 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Hey group! Just wanted to check in and say I'm still around, just busy! I started work again this week, and have discovered that work plus swim/bike/run equals one tired girl! I'll catch up on all the posts this weekend. I hope everyone is having a great week!
2010-01-07 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2601870

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
KSH - 2010-01-07 6:55 PM This might make you giggle... I gave a girl my shoes tonight at the gym. Yes, my shoes. I had two pairs and she had left hers at home. She is probably with the resolution crowd and I didn't want her to miss her workout. So I gave her the shoes off my feet. Of course, they are old running shoes that I no longer run in. I just use them for weights- lunges and stuff. I got her number so I can get my shoes back next week.

Ha, I love it! That was really nice of you.
2010-01-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2601291

User image

Master

gerrydiego - 2010-01-07 4:29 PM Well... I had all the intentions of doing my first swim of the year, but my little one got a night-long cough... so it quickly turned into my rest day. Hopefully tomorrow.

Just in case some of you Texans are fellow Longhorns... HOOK'EM!! :-)

Um, Roll Tide

I'm and SEC fan

2010-01-08 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2601870

User image

Master

KSH - 2010-01-07 8:55 PM This might make you giggle... I gave a girl my shoes tonight at the gym. Yes, my shoes. I had two pairs and she had left hers at home. She is probably with the resolution crowd and I didn't want her to miss her workout. So I gave her the shoes off my feet. Of course, they are old running shoes that I no longer run in. I just use them for weights- lunges and stuff. I got her number so I can get my shoes back next week.

That was so sweet of you.  It's such a pain to be all ready to work out and realize you forgot something.

I had an old pair of shoes that I wore when I was prego.  I was huge, and they were the only things that kept my feet from killing me.  I gave them to a friend of mine when she got to her bigger stages of prego, and they did the same for her. 

Shoes = great pay it forward gift

2010-01-08 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison

Awww....that's so nice of you. Major Karma points for you Karen!

Hope everyone is doing well and has a great weekend. I'm sooooo excited for the weekend to get here. Work has been such a beating, but on the positive....just checked my training hrs and I have a total of a little over 7 hrs with a run scheduled tomorrow. Woohoo! It hurts so good! Smile

2010-01-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2602681

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
crews - 2010-01-08 9:38 AM

Um, Roll Tide

I'm and SEC fan

I won´t take it personal ;-) Would have been a very exciting game if McCoy would have stayed in.

A question:

Finally got my first swim of 2010 in and it was an Open Water Swim. So how do you compare an OWS against a pool session? I swam 1450 meters this morning in 32´52". These were with out stopping.  When I do my normal pool workouts, its close to 1 hour swim and totaling close to 2000m or so, but obviously with drills, breaks, technique, etc... I will be mixing between open water and pool sessions. Are open water swims normally shorter because you don´t break?

Thanks,

Gerry

Edited by gerrydiego 2010-01-08 3:00 PM
2010-01-08 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2603704

User image

Master

gerrydiego - 2010-01-08 2:58 PM

Um, Roll Tide

I'm and SEC fan

I won´t take it personal ;-) Would have been a very exciting game if McCoy would have stayed in.

A question:

Finally got my first swim of 2010 in and it was an Open Water Swim. So how do you compare an OWS against a pool session? I swam 1450 meters this morning in 32´52". These were with out stopping.  When I do my normal pool workouts, its close to 1 hour swim and totaling close to 2000m or so, but obviously with drills, breaks, technique, etc... I will be mixing between open water and pool sessions. Are open water swims normally shorter because you don´t break?

Thanks,

Gerry

The pool I use is only 15 yards long, so my time is spent turning around.  My OWS are much shorter.

So, do you think McCoy eased out of the game to save himself for draft week (since I'm sure there is an offer waiting for him), or had an actual injury?? 

2010-01-08 5:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
gerrydiego - 2010-01-08 12:58 PM

Um, Roll Tide

I'm and SEC fan

A question:

Thanks,

Gerry

Were you using a wetsuit for your OWS? The wetsuit will make you faster, and that coupled with the lack of rest time could explain why you are faster for an OWS.
2010-01-08 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
So I went to the pool today for the first time in 2 months. Swimming is the strongest of the 3 sports for me and it is the one I like the best, but today sucked. I eeked out 1,000 meters and felt like I was going to die afterward. Nothing like feeling like a bit of a hotshot based on the gains I'm seeing in running and then having a reality check when getting back into the pool. Laughing

My plan is to swim 1x a week between now and the half mary on 2/7, then 2/3x a week after that to start prepping for my Oly and HIM. Question for the better swimmers than me - how long do you think till I'm back in the swing of swimming again after 2 months off? I'm hoping 3 weeks from now I won't feel like I want to pass out after a 25 minute swim.
2010-01-08 8:13 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Um, Roll Tide

I'm and SEC fan

A question:

Thanks,

Gerry

Eh well when I did my OWS I was usually limited by time. Meaning: The tri group only swam 30 minutes so I had to stop then. Sometimes I would get in 45 minutes.

I would time myself and I know how fast I swim (I have one speed it seems) so I would just guess on the distance.

When I am in the pool, I DO NOT count my time at the wall/during breaks in to my time. Again, I know my speed, so I take the distance and give it a time that averages it out to what I do per 100 meters.

I would say do your OWS's by time and go for the amount of time you need to do to get the distance in.

When you swim in your IM it won't be shorter because it's in OW instead of a pool.

2010-01-08 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2603891

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
crews - 2010-01-08 4:21 PM

Um, Roll Tide

I'm and SEC fan

A question:

Thanks,

Gerry

The pool I use is only 15 yards long, so my time is spent turning around.  My OWS are much shorter.

So, do you think McCoy eased out of the game to save himself for draft week (since I'm sure there is an offer waiting for him), or had an actual injury?? 

He had an actual injury. A pinched nerve in his arm. When he tried to throw the ball in the locker room it went about two feet and dropped to the floor.

2010-01-08 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

I was wearing a wetsuit, so that makes it a faster swim, but my question was more in terms of comparing training time, more than speed. Since it is continuous swimming with out turns, breaks etc... would 40 mins, equal 1 hour in the pool? Is it a little like the walk/run thing?

I am biased, but I definitively think McCoy was hurt. Texas were underdogs, so if they loose it would not have affected his draft chances and if they won, he would have gone way up. That hit got him right on the shoulder blade... ouch. Good thing about tris... you don´t have to worry about that until you get into the swim ;-)

2010-01-09 9:30 AM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hey everyone, sorry again for being MIA.  We still dont' have our computer hooked up (we are getting a wireless card so we can pick up our houses wireless signal) so it's been tough to get on and log workouts and chat with you all!   But, I've been training/working out pretty diligently!  I did a spinning class on Thursday which was great and yesterday I did a kickboxing class and also stepped on the treadmill for 15 minutes.  I'm not the best runner so I think I'm going to do the beginner training plan for running and bike portion and do something more intermediate for the swim portion.  

Thats about it for me, I plan on getting on the bike tomorrow at the gym but the inlaws are in town so hopefully I can squeeze that in. 

Logging my food on Daily Plate has been a good experience so far.  But, for the fitness log it doesn't recognize the spinning workout which I thought was weird.

Anyway, hope you are all having a nice weekend!
2010-01-09 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2604683

User image

Regular
erin.kelsey - 2010-01-09 9:30 AMHey everyone, sorry again for being MIA.  We still dont' have our computer hooked up (we are getting a wireless card so we can pick up our houses wireless signal) so it's been tough to get on and log workouts and chat with you all!   But, I've been training/working out pretty diligently!  I did a spinning class on Thursday which was great and yesterday I did a kickboxing class and also stepped on the treadmill for 15 minutes.  I'm not the best runner so I think I'm going to do the beginner training plan for running and bike portion and do something more intermediate for the swim portion.  

Thats about it for me, I plan on getting on the bike tomorrow at the gym but the inlaws are in town so hopefully I can squeeze that in. 

Logging my food on Daily Plate has been a good experience so far.  But, for the fitness log it doesn't recognize the spinning workout which I thought was weird.

Anyway, hope you are all having a nice weekend!
It seems like there are at least a few of us using Daily Plate. I LOVE it--i used to use fitday.com and thought it was amazing, but this is 100x easier to use. Do any of you know if there is a way to add friends there, too? Diet is definitely the most challenging area for me--any extra accountability would be great.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27