BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-01-25 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2632344

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water!
jenni4 - 2010-01-24 6:40 PM

Ok, I know I've been absent for awhile. Had a bit of a cold, got better, went for a ski lesson and hurt my knee. Meniscus tear of the right knee. For the next 3 weeks I'll be on crutches with a knee brace, in hopes that it'll heal itself. Then we'll reevaluate to see if I'll need surgery or not. So my training and season plans are on hold for awhile. Skiing done for the season, maybe I'll try snowboarding next season. Hopefully after 3 weeks I can start back in with some swimming or pool activities.

I hope the knee heals quick

Sounds like we are a group with a bunch of knee issues!
I had a great weekend - three days of skiing, including an unplanned, improptu 3.5 hr hike on saturday. . we decided to hike the top of the mtn and drop off where we figured 'we can probably cut over and make it back up on these runs'. . .not so much.  ended up getting totally lost, and ending up at the highway about 3-5 miles from the ski resort, and hitchhiked back up!  Hiking in ski boots, carrying skis and poles, through snow, followed by rocks, dirt, tons of branches and trees is very difficult!  we got lucky to miss all the cliffs though, and actually find our way out. 

2010-01-25 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Ok, I know I've been absent for awhile. Had a bit of a cold, got better, went for a ski lesson and hurt my knee. Meniscus tear of the right knee. For the next 3 weeks I'll be on crutches with a knee brace, in hopes that it'll heal itself. Then we'll reevaluate to see if I'll need surgery or not. So my training and season plans are on hold for awhile. Skiing done for the season, maybe I'll try snowboarding next season. Hopefully after 3 weeks I can start back in with some swimming or pool activities.

Bummer!  Sorry to hear about the knee.  I went through a similar injury a while back.  I fractured my tibia plateau and bruised the miniscus wakeboarding, definately not a fun injury.  I think it was about 6 weeks before I could walk without pain.  I hope you can recover quicker.
2010-01-25 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
jenni4 - 2010-01-24 7:40 PM

So sorry to hear about your knee!!  Hopefully you're able to have a quick recovery.

I'm coming off a jam-packed weekend.  Finished up my avalanche safety class on a local backcountry mountain here, which was pretty cool since our recent storm made for some dangerous layers in the snow (great for learning!). Got to do some mellow tree snowboarding at the end of the day with thigh deep snow in places. Did a half day of snowboarding on Sunday, and left early because of the extreme cold and lack of good snow in the resort.  But I was able to manage a 90min trainer ride last night.  1 week of training down, 19 to go!!
2010-01-26 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2559033

User image

Veteran
Denver
Two mile swim this AM, 3500 in the time that it took me to do 3000 2 weeks ago....so I felt pretty good about how my swim fitness is coming along.  Nice easy recovery run at lunch for 3 miles.  Tonight, I will get on the trainer and see what kind of damage I can do there.  Seems like an awful lot of people in this group are tearing up their knees....be careful and don't push it if their bothering you.
2010-01-27 5:48 AM
in reply to: #2633204

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
ultrahip_00 - 2010-01-26 2:47 AM

I hope the knee heals quick

Sounds like we are a group with a bunch of knee issues!
I had a great weekend - three days of skiing, including an unplanned, improptu 3.5 hr hike on saturday. . we decided to hike the top of the mtn and drop off where we figured 'we can probably cut over and make it back up on these runs'. . .not so much.  ended up getting totally lost, and ending up at the highway about 3-5 miles from the ski resort, and hitchhiked back up!  Hiking in ski boots, carrying skis and poles, through snow, followed by rocks, dirt, tons of branches and trees is very difficult!  we got lucky to miss all the cliffs though, and actually find our way out. 

That would scare the crap out of me not knowing where I am! Did you at least have a phone in case you got really lost?

While you are all suffering in the cold weather, I'm suffering in the heat. It's been around 35 C this week. Today I did a 1/2 hour run and lost 1L of sweat. And that was 4pm. Also, I've decided that I will do the marathon in July. My cousin has said that he will come up and do it too, so now I have some motivation. He'll probably flog me though, because he did New York marathon in 3:30.

Keep up the training everyone.
2010-01-27 8:45 AM

Lexington, KY

I finally got outa my funk and blew the dust off my googles....had a good swim but can tell I haven't done anything in a while. Felt good though. Tried to keep up with another guy in the pool for 350 and did pretty good. Yeahn I know I shouldn't do stuff like that but you have to sometimes......I'll do a treadmill run tomorrow. My first tri will be on march 28 so I'm pumped.

Zenn Jenn I'll send some good thoughts to your knee.

Baldbuyer that sounds like awesome progress on the swim!!!!

2010-01-27 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2636959

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
eatmyfannypac - 2010-01-27 6:45 AM

I finally got outa my funk and blew the dust off my googles....

goggles. . ? what are those?! I need to swim again too
2010-01-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2637329

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
ultrahip_00 - 2010-01-27 8:35 AM

Shoot, I'm feeling that way about the bike!  It's just too damn cold to ride outside, esp. since I don't have any winter weather gear!
2010-01-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2639579

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
ethilo - 2010-01-28 7:10 AM
ultrahip_00 - 2010-01-27 8:35 AM

Shoot, I'm feeling that way about the bike!  It's just too damn cold to ride outside, esp. since I don't have any winter weather gear!

you know how many people would kill for winter temperatures in the low-mid 40's +!!!  Seattle is definitely not 'too damn cold' .  I recommend getting some cold weather gear - you can get some stuff cheap at Performance Bikes (they have a few stores in the area). 
2010-01-28 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

At least you can ride outside.  Finding a stretch of road or path longer than 1/4 mile without ice is basically impossible.  I'll be lucky to be riding outside by mid March....

2010-01-28 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Finally feel like I'm making some progress on the swim.  I decreased my interval times and still was able to do the workout.  Crazy, but I felt like the 50s kicked my butt more than the 100s.  Hopefully, with a few more lessons and some more 30,000+ yard months, I can post some mediocre split times for the swim this year.

2010-01-29 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
I'm so excited... I got my replacement H2O audio case in the mail.  God!  I've missed not having music while I swim.  It sure alleviates the black line monotony for me.

By the way, the company has awesome customer service.  I bought my original case from an Ebay retailer, who apparently is not an authorized retailer.  When the case had issues, H2O audio still sent me a brand new replacement.  The only stipulation was no future warranty.  Whatever, still better than left holding a broken product.

2010-01-29 3:21 PM

User image

Las Vegas
Speed work running today. Good end to a slow week. Two days off being sick last weekend made me feel like I had lost all my training on my first few workouts of the week. Sorry for the cold weather members of the group, low 60s in the Vegas area for the rest of the weekend. Doing a bike maintenance class at REI on Saturday to learn a thing or two.
2010-01-29 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2642503

User image

Veteran
Denver
The H2O audio stuff definitely makes a difference when "banging out" lap after lap in the pool.  I deal directly with the owner of the company and their VP of sales and have always had positive experiences with both their product and their willingness to take care of any problems.  They are also very good at listening to customer suggestions and feedback to improve their product, so if you have any ideas, shoot them to me and I can relay them on.

I managed to get in a swim at lunch today, and I will be honest I don't know whether I was just tired or the water was too warm at the "alternate" recreation center I use at lunch for swims, but I always seem to swim slower at the one where the water temp is warmer.  Does anyone else in the group ever run into that issue....where they seem to swim slower in warmer water?

Tonight is my long run and tomorrow I will be snowboarding either at Keystone or Copper Mtn, so that should make for a fun weekend.
2010-01-29 4:43 PM

Lexington, KY
Alright... got to do some weight s today. Mainly back and core stuff...it's been a month since my last weight day so I tried to keep it light. Then I stretched, did a 5 minute walk, and ran the treadmill for 32 minutes at a 1 incline and 8:57 pace. Felt good!!!! I didn't want to push real hard. left knee ached a little at first but ok later. Right groin ached ever so slightly at the end but was much better than before I got sick!! Feels so good to be back in training!!!!! Hope everybody is training well and/or hesling quickly.
2010-01-29 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Yes!  I still can't believe it, but I finally broke my 1:30 per 100 barrier.  In my main set today, I did a 5 x 100 all out effort.  My times were 1:29, 1:29, 1:29, 1:30, 1:31.  I've been working at braking this time for more than six months now.  It feels so good to break this wall down.

Lance, I haven't really had a problem with the water temp issue.  I normally swim at an indoor pool.  However, I did do a few open water swims in the summer with my wetsuit (just for acclimation) when the water was warm and definately noticed an uncomfortable, sluggish feeling.

Cheers!

2010-01-30 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2643972

Lexington, KY
brick94513 - 2010-01-29 9:47 PM Yes!  I still can't believe it, but I finally broke my 1:30 per 100 barrier.  In my main set today, I did a 5 x 100 all out effort.  My times were 1:29, 1:29, 1:29, 1:30, 1:31.  I've been working at braking this time for more than six months now.  It feels so good to break this wall down.

Lance, I haven't really had a problem with the water temp issue.  I normally swim at an indoor pool.  However, I did do a few open water swims in the summer with my wetsuit (just for acclimation) when the water was warm and definately noticed an uncomfortable, sluggish feeling.

Cheers!

Great job!!! Keep it up.
2010-01-31 12:10 AM
in reply to: #2643355

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
baldbuyer - 2010-01-29 2:49 PM

I managed to get in a swim at lunch today, and I will be honest I don't know whether I was just tired or the water was too warm at the "alternate" recreation center I use at lunch for swims, but I always seem to swim slower at the one where the water temp is warmer.  Does anyone else in the group ever run into that issue....where they seem to swim slower in warmer water?

I definitely notice that. I think it's because we associate warm water with relaxing (hot tubs, hot springs). The swim in the local tri here is in the hot springs pool and it is the weirdest competitive swim I have ever done for that reason.
2010-02-01 12:01 AM

User image

Las Vegas

January is over. 20miles in the pool, 70 miles running, and 275 miles on the bike for the month. Hope to have a great Feb.

2010-02-01 12:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
i have a question for everyone about cycling.  What are your thoughts on long slower rides vs shorter fast rides.  i have trouble doing long rides because i dont get home from work until 6:30 or 7 pm and at that point i have not eaten for a while.  my rides tend to be about 20 miles but i keep what for me is a fast pace (on a pretty hilly route).  I was wondering if trying to work in some longer rides would be beneficial.  any thoughts?
2010-02-01 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2646608

User image

Veteran
Denver
It depends upon whether or not you're trying to accomplish longer distance tris, as to whether or not you add in some longer rides.  I like the idea of knowing that I can do well beyond what will be needed on the ride during a race.  That way I know that I am strong enough to do a good bike split without having cramping issues or blowing up on the run.

I managed 2 hours on the trainer Sunday afternoon, and I have to admit that I either need to get some cold weather gear or pray for warmer temps, because I am getting real tired of riding in front of the TV......

2010-02-01 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2646608

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
dmiller5 - 2010-01-31 10:06 PM i have a question for everyone about cycling.  What are your thoughts on long slower rides vs shorter fast rides.  i have trouble doing long rides because i dont get home from work until 6:30 or 7 pm and at that point i have not eaten for a while.  my rides tend to be about 20 miles but i keep what for me is a fast pace (on a pretty hilly route).  I was wondering if trying to work in some longer rides would be beneficial.  any thoughts?

From what I have seen, it is pretty typical to keep trainer workouts to an hour, and just make them intense.  The whole goal this time of year is to get that base fitness established.  Assuming your first race is something like May - June time frame, you will have plenty of time to get those longer rides in once the weather improves. 
2010-02-01 1:54 PM

Lexington, KY

Everything I've reaad says the long medium paced rides are the way to go to get a good aerobic base. but hey...sounds like you're doing pretty good with the time you got. Get in what you can.

I just did a swim and mill run. Both felt really good, though now I'm itching like a mofo. Maybe they shocked the pool or something!

Yeah two hours on the trainer woould be painful. I'm contemplating going to the spin class(sufferfest) in the morning, see if I can get the most sweat and loudest breather jersey.

2010-02-02 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Happy tuesday!  I finally got (somewhat) motivated and bought a ton of veggies at the store this weekend and prepared monster salads for lunches this week.  I am going to focus on eating healthy and get my working out back up. . got a doctors appt for next  week to check my knee out. . tis frustrating.
2010-02-03 9:56 AM

Lexington, KY
Did a weight room session. My usual lot of core and back. Did some hip add/abductions to ward off evil knee spirits... got in about ten minutes of stretching. I think the stretching did as much good as the weights. Back is feeling good. Am going to spin class in the morning. Will try to go about 15 minutes early to try and get a little more volume in.

Mike, sorry your knee isn't getting better. I hope the doc can help you out......I really need to eat more veggies too.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water! Rss Feed  

of 15