BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-20 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2769357

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
I'm finally catching up with all of the threads!  Congrats to everyone that raced this weekend...GREAT Job!!!  You all definitely set the bar really high!  

Brian - I'm glad to hear your little one is doing better!!!  Thankfully they are so resilient!   

Baseline - I haven't really done this, but I'll work on trying to determine it in the next couple of weeks.  As for the rest of my training...it's going well!! 

2010-04-21 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
What's going on team? 

I've started to use mydailyplate.com to keep my nutrition in check during these next two weeks where my training is unstructured an not putting in the hours I was before.  I really need to watch to keep my weight in check.  The website seems pretty cool, however I highly question the allowed calories it projected for me.  It says I am allowed 3300 cals per day to lose 1lb per week, that is absolutely INSANE! 

I am really nervous, I am going on vacation next week and I know my food options will be severly limited.  I will be spending a few days in Disney and there is not a whole grain, or eggwhite anywhere on the 4 billion acres they have down there.  I plan to pick up some quaker oats, Peanut Butter, bananas and maybe a loaf of whole grain bread before we check in, but grabbing something on the go is going to be rough!  It really is amazing when you look at the obesity epidemic in America then look at the nutrition choices the majority of establishments offer children, chicken nuggets and french fries!  It really angers me!  All I will want for breakfast is a few eggwhites on whole wheat bread and lunch, a piece of grilled chicken with a green veggie, or a salad constructed with something other than nutritionally void iceburg or romaine lettuce, and I know it will not be available to me. Broccoli, Stringbeans, Spinach, Black Beans are dirt cheap, yet they insist on frying potatoes and serving them with everything!

Sorry for the rant, I'm struggling with nutrition this week and freaking out about next week! 

Other than that, I put a 5 mile run in today at easy pace, RPE/Z 2.  I have my weekly masters swim tomorrow AM.  I am really struggling to fit in bike workouts and that is really starting to bother me.  I need to get on my bike more often. 

That's it, just checking in.  Anything on your mind?  Need to rant too? 
2010-04-21 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2808106

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
mchubri` - 2010-04-21 4:18 PM What's going on team? 

I've started to use mydailyplate.com to keep my nutrition in check during these next two weeks where my training is unstructured an not putting in the hours I was before.  I really need to watch to keep my weight in check.  The website seems pretty cool, however I highly question the allowed calories it projected for me.  It says I am allowed 3300 cals per day to lose 1lb per week, that is absolutely INSANE! 

I am really nervous, I am going on vacation next week and I know my food options will be severly limited.  I will be spending a few days in Disney and there is not a whole grain, or eggwhite anywhere on the 4 billion acres they have down there.  I plan to pick up some quaker oats, Peanut Butter, bananas and maybe a loaf of whole grain bread before we check in, but grabbing something on the go is going to be rough!  It really is amazing when you look at the obesity epidemic in America then look at the nutrition choices the majority of establishments offer children, chicken nuggets and french fries!  It really angers me!  All I will want for breakfast is a few eggwhites on whole wheat bread and lunch, a piece of grilled chicken with a green veggie, or a salad constructed with something other than nutritionally void iceburg or romaine lettuce, and I know it will not be available to me. Broccoli, Stringbeans, Spinach, Black Beans are dirt cheap, yet they insist on frying potatoes and serving them with everything!

Sorry for the rant, I'm struggling with nutrition this week and freaking out about next week! 

Other than that, I put a 5 mile run in today at easy pace, RPE/Z 2.  I have my weekly masters swim tomorrow AM.  I am really struggling to fit in bike workouts and that is really starting to bother me.  I need to get on my bike more often. 

That's it, just checking in.  Anything on your mind?  Need to rant too? 

I can feel your pain.  Not that I'm the healthiest eater, seeing that I eat fast food for lunch 3 times a week, I remember last year at Disney not having much of a choice for lunches and dinners.  If you like hamburgs and fries, you'll be in heaven down there.  I guess the only saving grace is the amount of walking you do down there.

Life is kind of getting in the way of training this week.  My son's baseball season starts this Saturday and they have an average of 3-4 games per week.  Between that and Tae Kwon Do, my evenings are shot.  I really need to get motivated to get up and work out in the early morning.  Anyone have any suggestions on accomplishing this?
2010-04-21 10:03 PM

Hey guys,

Hope everyone's week is going well, mine is well, slacker-iffic right now.  I swam Mon and today, but that's about it...been walking the dogs but not logging it.  I took the weekend off and had two blissful, non exercise days to recover my poor quads, and unfortunately, getting back into the routine hasn't quite happened.  Need to get moving because....MY FIRST 5K is Saturday!!!  And its in the MUD to boot!  With obstacles!

So, I better set some new goals and get moving on them, otherwise it'll be too hard to get back into the swing of things.

Have fun at Disney, Brian.  Food choices for kids do suck...I just order something healthier from the adult menu at restraunts for my kid and either split it with her or take the leftovers home. 

Ronda
2010-04-21 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2808846

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Cutlass454 - 2010-04-21 7:04 PM
I really need to get motivated to get up and work out in the early morning.  Anyone have any suggestions on accomplishing this?

I am a morning person, so view that through this lens.  But I do 95% of all my workouts in the morning.  I love the feeling of having everything done (workout-wise) before most people even wake up.  Plus, I find that I usually have zero distractions because my family, co-workers, etc. are still sleeping!

Here are some tips that I use that help me be in the routine of working out in the early morning:
  • Go to bed early.  I put my son down at around 7:30 and then hang with my wife for an hour.  By 8:30 we're moving towards bed.  Sometimes it'll be later (like last night when I went out to the bar to watch a ball game with a friend), but most of the time I'm asleep by 9pm.
  • Lay out all your workout clothes and equipment the night before.  Doing this means when the alarm goes off you just have to fall into you workout clothes.
  • Have breakfast pre-made.  Its one less thing you'll have to do in the morning.
  • Lay our your work clothes the night before too.  That way when you get back from your work out you just have to shower, brush your teeth, and quickly put on your work clothes.  Often times I get back from my workout 15 minutes before I have to leave for work and because my clothes are already out I can make it work.
  • Go to sleep thinking about your workout the next morning.  Set goals. Plan your route. Etc.  I find that when training is the last thing on my mind as I go to sleep, it'll likely be the first thing on my mind when I wake up.
  • Get in the routine.  After a few weeks of doing this, your body will totally adapt and it'll get easier.
Hope some of those ideas help. 
2010-04-22 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2808993

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-21 11:17 PM

Here are some tips that I use that help me be in the routine of working out in the early morning:
  • Go to bed early.  I put my son down at around 7:30 and then hang with my wife for an hour.  By 8:30 we're moving towards bed.  Sometimes it'll be later (like last night when I went out to the bar to watch a ball game with a friend), but most of the time I'm asleep by 9pm.
  • Lay out all your workout clothes and equipment the night before.  Doing this means when the alarm goes off you just have to fall into you workout clothes.
  • Have breakfast pre-made.  Its one less thing you'll have to do in the morning.
  • Lay our your work clothes the night before too.  That way when you get back from your work out you just have to shower, brush your teeth, and quickly put on your work clothes.  Often times I get back from my workout 15 minutes before I have to leave for work and because my clothes are already out I can make it work.
  • Go to sleep thinking about your workout the next morning.  Set goals. Plan your route. Etc.  I find that when training is the last thing on my mind as I go to sleep, it'll likely be the first thing on my mind when I wake up.
  • Get in the routine.  After a few weeks of doing this, your body will totally adapt and it'll get easier.

All tremendous advice Noel, thanks! 

2010-04-22 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Its nice to see that everyone here is human and has some issues with eating.  Working out makes it more intense also.  I am hungry all the time now.  I am adjusting though.

As far as morning workouts go.  If I get at least 6 - 7 hours of sleep the 5:30 wake up is not an issue but if I have a restless night I don't even try to get up as I know if I do and workout by lunch I am done for the day.  Not good.  I also lay everything out and think about my workout for the next morning.  I keep a little flex in it for small adjustments as needed.

Thanks for the note Brian.

Have A Great vacation
Tom

Edited by Tkimble01 2010-04-22 12:21 PM
2010-04-22 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2810289

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-22 1:20 PM Its nice to see that everyone here is human and has some issues with eating.  Working out makes it more intense also.  I am hungry all the time now.  I am adjusting though.

As far as morning workouts go.  If I get at least 6 - 7 hours of sleep the 5:30 wake up is not an issue but if I have a restless night I don't even try to get up as I know if I do and workout by lunch I am done for the day.  Not good.  I also lay everything out and think about my workout for the next morning.  I keep a little flex in it for small adjustments as needed.

Thanks for the note Brian.

Have A Great vacation
Tom

I WILL GET OUT ON MY BIKE TOMORROW MORNING BEFORE WORK!  If you don't see a bike in my logs by 10:30AM EST, I want you ALL to harrass me! 
2010-04-22 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
So, Brain, or anyone else, I could use some wight loss advise. I'm in my tenth week of training and  starting three weeks ago I finally started to see some weight loss.  That's when I started taking my nutrition serious and logging everything I eat.  In the first week I lost 5 lbs and in the second week I lost 7 lbs!  Which, obviously, I'm very pleased with. 

However, this week I haven't lost a pound yet and Friday's are my weighing in days.  This weekend I didn't eat great (I was at the in-laws all weekend) and this week is my 'recover' week where all my training times are down.  But I still feel like I should have lost a pound or two?!? 

What makes matters worse is that I am right at 233 lbs, which is the number I never seem to be able to get below.  Its been about 3 years since I've been under that weight and every time I start shedding lbs I can't bust through 233.

Any advise or suggestions would be great.  Feel free to take a look at my logs which have all my training and sports as well as every single thing I've eaten and drank.

Thanks.
2010-04-22 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2810979

User image

Veteran
n.k - 2010-04-22 5:20 PM So, Brain, or anyone else, I could use some wight loss advise. I'm in my tenth week of training and  starting three weeks ago I finally started to see some weight loss.  That's when I started taking my nutrition serious and logging everything I eat.  In the first week I lost 5 lbs and in the second week I lost 7 lbs!  Which, obviously, I'm very pleased with. 

However, this week I haven't lost a pound yet and Friday's are my weighing in days.  This weekend I didn't eat great (I was at the in-laws all weekend) and this week is my 'recover' week where all my training times are down.  But I still feel like I should have lost a pound or two?!? 

What makes matters worse is that I am right at 233 lbs, which is the number I never seem to be able to get below.  Its been about 3 years since I've been under that weight and every time I start shedding lbs I can't bust through 233.

Any advise or suggestions would be great.  Feel free to take a look at my logs which have all my training and sports as well as every single thing I've eaten and drank.

Thanks.

If you've ever watched The Biggest Loser, you know that the first week or so, you lose water weight REALLY quickly and then your body starts holding on and you have to start really paying attention to calories in/calories out.  Have you actually added up your calories?  At quick glance, it really doesn't look like you're getting enough (which could also be causing your fatigue).  The hardest thing to think about when trying to lose weight is that you need to eat to lose.  Here's a calculator that'll help you determine how much you should be eating (be honest on how much you exercise...it's easy to underestimate because you want to lose weight quickerhttp://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm    

Also, if you are hitting you calorie goals (perfectly!) and exercising the way you are and still don't lose the weight, you may be at your body's  optimal weight in which case you can concentrate on toning and throw away your scale!
2010-04-23 6:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Question - Socks or No Socks
I have a sprint tri this weekend. This morning I practiced my transition from the water to the bike.  It seemed like it took a while to get my socks on my feet which were still a bit wet even after drying them.  Has anyone done the sprint bike and run without socks?  If so what was your experience? I am thinking about ditching the socks. 

Also I actually used a shamwow that my wife had to dry off and it works great.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

2010-04-23 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2811671

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Question - Socks or No Socks
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-23 6:22 AM I have a sprint tri this weekend. This morning I practiced my transition from the water to the bike.  It seemed like it took a while to get my socks on my feet which were still a bit wet even after drying them.  Has anyone done the sprint bike and run without socks?  If so what was your experience? I am thinking about ditching the socks. 

Also I actually used a shamwow that my wife had to dry off and it works great.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Many people do the entire race with no socks. In fact, I'll bet the winner of your sprint doesn't wear them at all.  I ride without, then add socks in T2. Definitely takes extra time to put on socks. However, as you've read here a million times, "Nothing new on Race day". If you've been training in socks, wear socks!
2010-04-23 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2811808

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
titeloops - 2010-04-23 8:59 AMMany people do the entire race with no socks. In fact, I'll bet the winner of your sprint doesn't wear them at all.  I ride without, then add socks in T2. Definitely takes extra time to put on socks. However, as you've read here a million times, "Nothing new on Race day". If you've been training in socks, wear socks!

I agree with the above statement.  I also bike and run with socks as I have yet to try without them.  What I do while setting up my transition area is put the socks on my feet and then roll them down until about 2 inches of the sock on the toe area is not rolled up.  This way, after coming out of the swim, you just stick in your foot and then roll the sock up.  I didn't take the time to dry them off either.  I just wipe off the dirt, rocks, sand, etc. off on my transition towel, put on my socks, biking shoes, etc.  This is easily practiced at home.
2010-04-23 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2810979

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-22 5:20 PM So, Brain, or anyone else, I could use some wight loss advise. I'm in my tenth week of training and  starting three weeks ago I finally started to see some weight loss.  That's when I started taking my nutrition serious and logging everything I eat.  In the first week I lost 5 lbs and in the second week I lost 7 lbs!  Which, obviously, I'm very pleased with. 

Thanks.

Noel,

1st off, weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint and tracking your weight you must trust the law of averages.  5 & 7 lbs per week is not a normal pace for an active male like yourself to lose weight.  Like I mentioned earlier when we 1st met, a realistic weightloss goal should be about 1 - 1.5lbs per week.  If you take your total weightloss to date and average it out over the number of weeks you have been dieting, I bet you will see that average fall into place.  ALSO, (and I am a complete hypocrite by saying this, do as I say, not as I do), don't become a slave to the scale, it will F with your head.  You will have bad weigh-ins you will have overly generous weigh-ins and it seems like you have experienced both.  Stick with your plan, make adjustments as you go along...  You will hit plateaus and, beleive me I know from experience, it takes dedication, hard work and serious willpower to get through those! 

With that said, I took a look at your excercise and nutrition log over the past week and can offer some suggestions.  I offer this as advice only and hopefully motivation...

Beer, chips etc.  They may seem harmless in small doses but they add up over the course of the week. Alchol dehydrates you and salty food causes you to retain water, both are weightloss killers.  Cut these out M-F and allow yourself a "treat" on the weekend, in moderation!  I cut these out completely if I am stuck at a plateau. 

Whole Grains, I saw some brown rice in there but try to incorporate whole grains across your diet.  Make sure your wraps for your burritos are all whole grain, swap the sourdough for a whole grain roll, macaroni can now be found in a variety of whole grain varieties, my favorite is Ronzoni healthy harvest, loaded with protein and fiber.  Swap out the low fat tortilla for a whol grain one, don't sweat the fat content.  However, in my experience, watch out for wraps in general, they can be calorie bombs! Try to limit your wrap to 110 cals per serving, or 1 wrap. The reason for whole grains is this.  Whole grains break down much slower in your system than refined grains (white) the slower breakdown process allows your body to utilize that energy over time and burn more of it off.  Refined grains, or refined carbs in general convert to energy very quickly and whatever your body doesn't use, it stores as fat.  This brings me to...

Incorporate more Low Glycemic foods... Directly related to the above, normally sugary foods, refined carbs, foods generally lower in fiber are high on the glycemic scale.  Although they seem and are generally are harmless, apples, oranges, bananas, grapefruits are higher on the glycemic scale, convert to energy quickly and is stored if not burned.  Space these items out throught the day instead of eating together.  Do a quick google search for Glycemic index and you should be able to get a list of foods and where they rank.

Make sure you make your workouts count, I see you started in incorporate intervals into your training.  Interval training SLAYS FAT!  If you are going to do intervals, make sure the segments of high intensity are exactly that.  Really push yourself during the interval.  Not only will this torch fat, they will make you faster.  Vary your workouts between easy, moderate and hard sessions.  Unless your plan calls for it, don't coast through a workout, (I'm not saying that you do, just a generality) it is called a WORKout for a reason. 

It is also possible that you have gained lean muscle mass over the course of your training.  Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. The only real way to know this is to measure your body fat %, if you belong to a gym they may be able to help you calculate this and track it over time. You do lift weights and put a ton of time in on the bike, this is a real possibility.  Chrissy is absolutely right when she said to pay attention to how your clothes fit.  This is a great indicator of a change in your body composition.  

I highly recomend the "Abs Diet" by David Zinczenko.  It is a tremendous book that doesn't preach a "Diet" but teaches you how to eat, what happens to your food once you eat it and how to eat efficiently.  I re-read it every year and have circulated my copy around to dozens of friends, we all swear by it.

Losing weight is not easy and it is not quick.  You are doing a fantastic job, have seen results and have a plan.  Stick to it, make adjustments where they are needed and work hard!  No one is perfect, we all have our flaws.  It is a war not a battle.  Don't stress the setbacks, just try to do your best every day to keep on track. 

I hope this helps! 

-B

Edited by mchubri` 2010-04-23 9:36 AM
2010-04-23 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2811671

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-23 7:22 AM I have a sprint tri this weekend. This morning I practiced my transition from the water to the bike.  It seemed like it took a while to get my socks on my feet which were still a bit wet even after drying them.  Has anyone done the sprint bike and run without socks?  If so what was your experience? I am thinking about ditching the socks. 

Thanks
Tom

Tom, I would like to echo what Todd and Kevin said. NNORD... Nothing New on Race Day. 

Personally I do not race with socks on the bike, the run yes.  I train with and without socks on the bike, depending on the weather.   It really is a personal preferance.  If you are worried about your transition times, socks will eat up a few seconds.  If that is not a real concern, a few seconds is worth a lot for comfort. 

Good luck this weekend! 
2010-04-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2812063

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
mchubri` - 2010-04-23 7:31 AM

Noel,

1st off, weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint and tracking your weight you must trust the law of averages.  5 & 7 lbs per week is not a normal pace for an active male like yourself to lose weight.  Like I mentioned earlier when we 1st met, a realistic weightloss goal should be about 1 - 1.5lbs per week.  If you take your total weightloss to date and average it out over the number of weeks you have been dieting, I bet you will see that average fall into place.  ALSO, (and I am a complete hypocrite by saying this, do as I say, not as I do), don't become a slave to the scale, it will F with your head.  You will have bad weigh-ins you will have overly generous weigh-ins and it seems like you have experienced both.  Stick with your plan, make adjustments as you go along...  You will hit plateaus and, beleive me I know from experience, it takes dedication, hard work and serious willpower to get through those! 

With that said, I took a look at your excercise and nutrition log over the past week and can offer some suggestions.  I offer this as advice only and hopefully motivation...

Beer, chips etc.  They may seem harmless in small doses but they add up over the course of the week. Alchol dehydrates you and salty food causes you to retain water, both are weightloss killers.  Cut these out M-F and allow yourself a "treat" on the weekend, in moderation!  I cut these out completely if I am stuck at a plateau. 

Whole Grains, I saw some brown rice in there but try to incorporate whole grains across your diet.  Make sure your wraps for your burritos are all whole grain, swap the sourdough for a whole grain roll, macaroni can now be found in a variety of whole grain varieties, my favorite is Ronzoni healthy harvest, loaded with protein and fiber.  Swap out the low fat tortilla for a whol grain one, don't sweat the fat content.  However, in my experience, watch out for wraps in general, they can be calorie bombs! Try to limit your wrap to 110 cals per serving, or 1 wrap. The reason for whole grains is this.  Whole grains break down much slower in your system than refined grains (white) the slower breakdown process allows your body to utilize that energy over time and burn more of it off.  Refined grains, or refined carbs in general convert to energy very quickly and whatever your body doesn't use, it stores as fat.  This brings me to...

Incorporate more Low Glycemic foods... Directly related to the above, normally sugary foods, refined carbs, foods generally lower in fiber are high on the glycemic scale.  Although they seem and are generally are harmless, apples, oranges, bananas, grapefruits are higher on the glycemic scale, convert to energy quickly and is stored if not burned.  Space these items out throught the day instead of eating together.  Do a quick google search for Glycemic index and you should be able to get a list of foods and where they rank.

Make sure you make your workouts count, I see you started in incorporate intervals into your training.  Interval training SLAYS FAT!  If you are going to do intervals, make sure the segments of high intensity are exactly that.  Really push yourself during the interval.  Not only will this torch fat, they will make you faster.  Vary your workouts between easy, moderate and hard sessions.  Unless your plan calls for it, don't coast through a workout, (I'm not saying that you do, just a generality) it is called a WORKout for a reason. 

It is also possible that you have gained lean muscle mass over the course of your training.  Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. The only real way to know this is to measure your body fat %, if you belong to a gym they may be able to help you calculate this and track it over time. You do lift weights and put a ton of time in on the bike, this is a real possibility.  Chrissy is absolutely right when she said to pay attention to how your clothes fit.  This is a great indicator of a change in your body composition.  

I highly recomend the "Abs Diet" by David Zinczenko.  It is a tremendous book that doesn't preach a "Diet" but teaches you how to eat, what happens to your food once you eat it and how to eat efficiently.  I re-read it every year and have circulated my copy around to dozens of friends, we all swear by it.

Losing weight is not easy and it is not quick.  You are doing a fantastic job, have seen results and have a plan.  Stick to it, make adjustments where they are needed and work hard!  No one is perfect, we all have our flaws.  It is a war not a battle.  Don't stress the setbacks, just try to do your best every day to keep on track. 

I hope this helps! 

-B

Brain, first off, thanks for the detailed response. 

I have just finished my 10th week of training (and I have only been dieting for three of these weeks) and have lost a total of 13 lbs.  So that is an average of 1.3 lbs per week.  Which, as you've said, is probably right were I should be.  So I need to try to look at it that way.

A couple questions/comments about your response:

Intervals: I don't really know what I should be doing for these.  On my run, I was just going fast for a 1/2 mile and very slow for the other half and repeating.  Does that seem right?  Do I just do them on my run, or should I be incorporating them into my swim and bike as well?

Whole grains: How do I know if a tortilla (I eat a ton of these!) is whole grain?  Does buying whole wheat tortillas as opposed to flour or spinach ones mean that they are whole grain?

Glycemic index: Should I not be eating the bananas, apples, oranges, and grapefruits as I am?  Or just less of them?  Or eating them more spread out through the day?

Body Fat %: I have no idea what mine is.  I hope that all my biking has help build lean muscle, but I'm not really sure.  I do belong to a gym, but its the parks and rec gym near my house and I doubt they do this type of thing.  Any other suggestions on how I can figure out my body fat %?

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement.  I do really feel great and have a ton more energy.  All of my jeans are much looser (I can take my jeans off with unbuttoning them!) and I've had to tighten up my belt one notch.  So I know I'm on my way...

2010-04-23 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Tom, I personally would do your sprint as you have been training.  In your case, that means wearing socks.  You'll probably lose less than a minute in the transition, which shouldn't be a huge deal.

With that said, I have started to train without socks (when its warm enough!) and I found that biking and running without them is super easy. 
2010-04-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2808993

Veteran
I really need to get motivated to get up and work out in the early morning.  Anyone have any suggestions on accomplishing this?

I am a morning person, so view that through this lens.  But I do 95% of all my workouts in the morning.  I love the feeling of having everything done (workout-wise) before most people even wake up.  Plus, I find that I usually have zero distractions because my family, co-workers, etc. are still sleeping!

These are great, I have a lot of trouble getting up early but that is my biggest goal for next month!
2010-04-23 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
*Shriek with excitement*  My wetsuit came today (xterra)!!!!  I'll report back when I get a chance to try it out!
2010-04-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2812606

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-23 1:56 PM
mchubri` - 2010-04-23 7:31 AM

Brain, first off, thanks for the detailed response. 

I have just finished my 10th week of training (and I have only been dieting for three of these weeks) and have lost a total of 13 lbs.  So that is an average of 1.3 lbs per week.  Which, as you've said, is probably right were I should be.  So I need to try to look at it that way.

A couple questions/comments about your response:

Intervals: I don't really know what I should be doing for these.  On my run, I was just going fast for a 1/2 mile and very slow for the other half and repeating.  Does that seem right? Exactly!  Do I just do them on my run, or should I be incorporating them into my swim and bike as well? Incorporate into all.

Whole grains: How do I know if a tortilla (I eat a ton of these!) is whole grain?  Does buying whole wheat tortillas as opposed to flour or spinach ones mean that they are whole grain? Yes, look in the ingredients, the 1st ingredient should be WHOLE WHEAT.  Some manufactures call their stuff "wheat" or "multigrain" be weary of these lables as they are marketing terms that don't mean anything.  It must say WHOLE in the ingredients. I'm concerned about the calorie count of each tortilla, only because I was eating these tortillas for a while, never looked at the label and one day realized they were 330 cal EACH!  Do you know how much they are?

Glycemic index: Should I not be eating the bananas, apples, oranges, and grapefruits as I am?  Or just less of them?  Or eating them more spread out through the day?  These are all fine foods, nutritious and in my opinion, Bananas are worth their weight in gold. Eat them before or after a workout, and just not one on top of another.

Body Fat %: I have no idea what mine is.  I hope that all my biking has help build lean muscle, but I'm not really sure.  I do belong to a gym, but its the parks and rec gym near my house and I doubt they do this type of thing.  Any other suggestions on how I can figure out my body fat %?  I purchased a Tantia(sp?) body fat scale for <$40 at bed bath and beyond, it is not the greatest body fat scale but it gives me a number that went down over time.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement.  I do really feel great and have a ton more energy.  All of my jeans are much looser (I can take my jeans off with unbuttoning them!) and I've had to tighten up my belt one notch.  So I know I'm on my way...

2010-04-23 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2812634

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Chezz - 2010-04-23 2:04 PM

These are great, I have a lot of trouble getting up early but that is my biggest goal for next month!

Gerardo brings up a good point, May is around the corner, does anyone have a goal specifically for the month of May? 

In May, My goal is to increase my bike volume to 50+ miles per week. 

Something to think about over the weekend. 

2010-04-24 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Hey guys, been MIA.  Busy week and getting back into it after my race.  Posted my race report here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=204922&posts=1&start=1
2010-04-24 11:50 PM

Wow.  First 5k done.  In the mud.  Was way fun but let's just say I have a lot of training to do.  No more slacking off, time to get serious.  I think I'll find another 5k to sign up for in a few weeks so I can have a goal to work for because maybe having  a goal as far out as my tri is not enough to light the fire under me.

But I finished and hey, I wasn't even last! 

Ronda
2010-04-25 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Nice work!
2010-04-25 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Ugh.  Ate too much!  Had a going away party for a friend---pizza, veggies, and strawberry-yummy-goodness-stuff for dessert.  Loaded up on veggies early at least. 

Ran my final long training run yesterday with my best time yet for that distance- 1:10 for 8 miles.  I'll be thrilled when I can focus more on the triathlon aspect and not just running...

Not much to report today, but I hope you all had a relaxing weekend with some good training thrown in!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27