BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-04-25 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2814268

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
StrayDog - 2010-04-24 6:45 PM
jsnowash - 2010-04-25 2:24 PM
StrayDog - 2010-04-24 1:19 PM
tryin2tri - 2010-04-24 12:04 PM I was hoping to get some views on whether I should race or not:
My very first Tri (sprint distance) is June 20th.  Today is Apr 23 and as of right now I cannot run, I mean, I physically can but I actually cannot sustain a run for more than 800m or so, approx. 4 steps into a run my hr spikes to around 181 and will stay between 185-191 and NOT go down unless I'm walking very slowly for at least 5min.  A sprint is 5km and at this point it feels like it might as well be a full IM because either way I cannot run that.  My swim is ok and my bike is ok.  I stopped my run training for almost 3 weeks now (just getting back into it) due to serious shin splint issues - so bad that I had blue & purple bruising stripes from ankle bone to knee bone on the outside of each leg.   It will be at least another 2 weeks before I can use my orthotics 100% of the time in my shoes to alleviate the problem...

So do I just forget the race and pick one later or do I use it as a learning experience?  What would you do? 

I meant to say that after about 300m (not 4 steps) my heart rate gets to 185-191.  Believe me, this is at an extremely slllooooowww jog, gramas pass me at my "run" speed!!!

and your HR doesn't spike on the bike or the swim? Wierd, sounds like your pushing yourself past the shin spint pain on your run? Or your pace is too fast or something. Doesn't make sense to me. Jenny? Fernando? Caleb?
I was thinking the same thing, which is why I asked how she was feeling when she sees the HR spike. If she doesn't FEEL like her hearts about to pound out of her chest, it could be an issue with the HR monitor or maybe the strap slipping out of place.... pure speculation on my part, though.....

Definitly some missing info there. The HR may be a real problem but it does not make sense that it would only occur in one event. If the HR were really in the 190's sustained, one would be in major demand for oxygen. Yea, you would definitly "feel' that.

I agree with you guys. Even though HR is supposed to be exercise specific  (running involves the highest HR because it is the activity were you bear the entire body weight), once you start developing cardio-pulmonary reserve the differences should not be so dramatic. Sounds like something else is going on.

2010-04-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2814281

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
StrayDog - 2010-04-24 6:58 PM AMY: Good question on the strength training. That seems kinda controversial. Some train with resistance all year. But I hear that the more race specific athletes taper off as they get closer to more focused training or closer to their race. Any truth to this? Chime in folks.

Fernando: It came in the mail today....I had my hands on it for about  10min. I went to take my son to a soccer game and when I came back ....my daughter is reading it...That turkey.Hmmm...do I demand she give it right now..or do steal it back when she goes on a run? Hmmm...Kids...gotta love em..hey at least she is interested in the antidrug instead of the drugs. Gotta love it. I let her have the book for awhile....errrrrrrrrrrr.

You guys have a cool weekend. I am on call Cry and can't do too much a anythin'.

Sometimes I lack patience. I know I would have kidnapped it myself already....but I always encourage my little ones to read. I would probably grab it while they sleep.

Edited by guticur 2010-04-25 12:08 PM
2010-04-25 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
This is frustrating. I was trying to salvage a very inconsistent training week with a long run this pm....well, I should have stayed home.
Poor sleep from spending night in a tent @ 40F under big storm; bad diet; drizzling cold weather today, (I actually overdressed myself) all led to a poor outcome.I was planning on a 110 min run. Well, after about 2 miles I knew I was not going to break any speed records, and felt unmotivated. I figured then this would be a mind training run more than anything else.
Around mile 5 my left foot started hurting (same place my R foot hurt one month ago). Modified my gait and got another mile out of it, but then it felt worse. With the race coming up next weekend I decided to stop. Still 2 miles away from home and raining. 
I'm sore now, but I've iced it. Took some Advil and topical Voltaren, but since that takes about 45 mins to hit, I'm having a beer for more immediate relief. 
I'll take it easy this week with run, and just swim and bike...which is what I was going to do anyways. Hopefully just like the other foot, this heals fast! 
Will keep you posted. 
2010-04-25 3:46 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
The weather cooperated enough to run my half marathon this morning. We drove to the race in pretty steady rain, and were pretty sure we were going to end up bailing, but by the time the race started, the rain slowed to a slight drizzle, and it never rained much harder than that throughout the whole race. It was a little damp, but not bad at all. Official times aren't posted, but my unofficial time (according to my watch) was 2:08 and change. The course was a bit hillier than I expected. Not PR, but I wasn't really expecting one this time around. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the time.
2010-04-25 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2815259

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-04-25 4:46 PM The weather cooperated enough to run my half marathon this morning. We drove to the race in pretty steady rain, and were pretty sure we were going to end up bailing, but by the time the race started, the rain slowed to a slight drizzle, and it never rained much harder than that throughout the whole race. It was a little damp, but not bad at all. Official times aren't posted, but my unofficial time (according to my watch) was 2:08 and change. The course was a bit hillier than I expected. Not PR, but I wasn't really expecting one this time around. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the time.

Way to go Jenny. Hope you had a good time. It's happened to me a couple of times that I show up to races thinking for sure I wont do it due to weather, just to be pleasantly  surprised (or not?) and running it in the end cause things settled down.
PS: I feel much better after the 2 M Lite's, but I know it will hurt tomorrow. I should ask my wife to Bengay rub my foot (Heck...she just came back from a girls trip where she got her massage!!!
2010-04-25 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
did a little over 3 miles today. This was the first time I have ridden outside since Thanksgiving. I rode arounsd the campus loop while my kids were in swim lessons/practice.
Damn!! College campus loop felt hilly. Then I decided to turn down in the neighborhood and instantly regretted it. As soon as I turned down the street, it was a fast downhill like going into a valley and all I could think of what I am going to do to get back up it. That was a slow and tiring ordeal. After 3 miles of hills, I was tired.

My butt (piriformis muscle) didn't hurt while riding but it felt sore afterwards. I am stretching it and massaging it the rest of the day.

It still felt good to get out there though for those 3 miles of hills. Plus I had a good 8 mile run yesterday even though I felt tired for the first 2 or 3 miles.

Jenny, good job on your half in the marathon in the rain.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-04-25 7:02 PM

2010-04-25 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-04-26 1:46 PM The weather cooperated enough to run my half marathon this morning. We drove to the race in pretty steady rain, and were pretty sure we were going to end up bailing, but by the time the race started, the rain slowed to a slight drizzle, and it never rained much harder than that throughout the whole race. It was a little damp, but not bad at all. Official times aren't posted, but my unofficial time (according to my watch) was 2:08 and change. The course was a bit hillier than I expected. Not PR, but I wasn't really expecting one this time around. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the time.

Awsome time Jenny and in the rain on a course that you didn't know. Good job.
2010-04-26 3:47 AM

Katy
my sprint on sat was good for me; even though i had only gotten about 6 hours sleep total for the 3 days before the race.   they had to cancel the swim for the sprint and olympic due to 35-45 mph winds and major choppy water.  the wind was aweful.  it was a head/cross wind the whole time and then a brutal headwind for the last mile.  my speeds for the bike and run were better than my first tri last october.  i'm still slow, but getting better! 
next weekend i've got another sprint 500m swim, 15 ml bike and 3.1 ml run.  it won't be at the beach, so hopefully no winds. 
seeing all the pros race in the ironman lonestar 70.3 sunday morning was unbelievable!  wow do they fly on the bike! and they even acknowledge the people cheering for them!  they had some of the pros around on sat to hang out with the sprint and olympic athletes it was really neat to meet them; and they were all nice people! 
i went for a 30 min walk sunday morning to loosedn up some stiffness, but overall i feel great! tomorrow/today since it's 3am, i'll start to focus more on building my speed and endurance on the bike!
2010-04-26 4:56 AM
in reply to: #2816068

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Way to go, Cat! I have to admit, I really dislike biking in heavy wind. It's so disheartening somehow! You feel like you're working so hard, but not going anywhere! Nice job on your race, and good luck next weekend!

(invishighfive.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
invishighfive.jpg (44KB - 4 downloads)
2010-04-26 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Great job Cat. It must have been cool to see and hang out with those people!
2010-04-26 10:48 AM

I am having major problems with my seat.  I have a female specific seat. Can't remember the kind, will have to look when I get home.  My butt is getting so sore after I have been on the bike about two hours. 

What seats are y'all using?  I think I am going to buy a new one!

Thanks.

Laura

2010-04-26 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2816856

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Laura,

How long have you had your current saddle? How long have you been cycling, and how often have you done rides longer than 2 hours? It could be the saddle, it could be that your position on the bike is off (saddle to high or low, or to far forward or back), or it could be that you just need to get acclimated to spending a longer time in the saddle. Hard to say without a little more info. I know the first time I went out and did a 3+ hour ride, I was definitely sore. It's not a problem for me now, though.

That said, the stock saddle on my tri bike was definitely an issue.... I had to get something different. I ended up with a Blackwell Research Flow saddle. It's not a women's specific saddle, but I've been very happy with it. Saddle choice is highly personal, though.... what works for me might not work for you... You might see if any of your local bike shops will allow you to test drive some different saddles to see what works for you.

2010-04-26 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2816856

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
ljallen - 2010-04-26 11:48 AM I am having major problems with my seat.  I have a female specific seat. Can't remember the kind, will have to look when I get home.  My butt is getting so sore after I have been on the bike about two hours. 

What seats are y'all using?  I think I am going to buy a new one!

Thanks.

Laura

When I first started with my new bike I was having perineal pain after only 45 minutes. All it took was a very small adjustment (tip up slightly above horizontal). This shifted my weight back enough for my ischial tuberosities (the bones down there) to fall into the padded area of the seat. So far no pain during 2 hours plus rides. BTW I use the Kestrel seat that came with my bike; nothing fancy but very intimidating at first. I thought I would end up like Caupolican (Impaled!)
Fernando.
Fernando
2010-04-26 1:05 PM

Veteran
Hey Fernando-
Hope ya heal quickly! 

And don't sweat the crappy workouts.  They happen.  I figure that without them, you wouldn't get as much joy out of the great ones. =)
2010-04-26 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley

Just a quick update to my running, I carefully read all comments ppl left (a huge thank-you!!) about my ridiculous heart rate while running, so I replaced the battery in my hrm and instead of running intervals or hills or anything crazy I went on a really light jog in the field across from me and when I felt my hr spiking I just kept my steady slow pace and you know what!?  My heart rate settled down into about 168-170, which is just unheard of for me!  I pushed through that invisible wall and everything started to settle out, I went about 1km and had to quickly cut my run short as my shin was starting to go into it's racing stripe bruise and I didn't want to push that too hard but I felt as though I could have kept going for quite some time!  I may not have been giving my body enough of a chance to settle it's heartrate down.  This sure gave me a new found energy to go out running again, I might actually enjoy this part of triathlon lol.

2010-04-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2817344

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
tryin2tri - 2010-04-26 2:16 PM

Just a quick update to my running, I carefully read all comments ppl left (a huge thank-you!!) about my ridiculous heart rate while running, so I replaced the battery in my hrm and instead of running intervals or hills or anything crazy I went on a really light jog in the field across from me and when I felt my hr spiking I just kept my steady slow pace and you know what!?  My heart rate settled down into about 168-170, which is just unheard of for me!  I pushed through that invisible wall and everything started to settle out, I went about 1km and had to quickly cut my run short as my shin was starting to go into it's racing stripe bruise and I didn't want to push that too hard but I felt as though I could have kept going for quite some time!  I may not have been giving my body enough of a chance to settle it's heartrate down.  This sure gave me a new found energy to go out running again, I might actually enjoy this part of triathlon lol.

That sounds more like it.
I see you have a Polar HRM. I was curious to see your data when you biked, but I guess you are not updloading it on your training log. I am a big fan of HR Zone training. From what I have read, the recommendation is to start by building up an aerobic base for your endurance sports. This means the bulk of your training should be in zones 1 or 2 for a while (lower heart rates). If this means run/walk, or quick walk, or easy trot, then so be it. Soon you will notice progress. Many injuries occur when you are pushing yourself too prematurely. Interval, tempo and lactate threshold training come later. To achieve this you would need to figure out your max and resting HRs, and then use one of different formulas. This web site has calculators (right hand side of your training log).
Hope your shins get better soon!

Edited by guticur 2010-04-26 2:28 PM

2010-04-26 11:22 PM
in reply to: #2816068

User image

Veteran

catroberts - 2010-04-27 1:47 AM my sprint on sat was good for me; even though i had only gotten about 6 hours sleep total for the 3 days before the race.   they had to cancel the swim for the sprint and olympic due to 35-45 mph winds and major choppy water.  the wind was aweful.  it was a head/cross wind the whole time and then a brutal headwind for the last mile.  my speeds for the bike and run were better than my first tri last october.  i'm still slow, but getting better! 
next weekend i've got another sprint 500m swim, 15 ml bike and 3.1 ml run.  it won't be at the beach, so hopefully no winds. 
seeing all the pros race in the ironman lonestar 70.3 sunday morning was unbelievable!  wow do they fly on the bike! and they even acknowledge the people cheering for them!  they had some of the pros around on sat to hang out with the sprint and olympic athletes it was really neat to meet them; and they were all nice people! 
i went for a 30 min walk sunday morning to loosedn up some stiffness, but overall i feel great! tomorrow/today since it's 3am, i'll start to focus more on building my speed and endurance on the bike!

Cat, way to stick to it. Bummer about the wind, ehh, it happens. It must have been cool to see and meet some pros. Good point, we should all plan to see some pros race this year ...for inspiration. Good luck on your upcoming Tri.

2010-04-27 12:31 AM

Katy
one of the most revealing things one of the pros (don't remember which one) told me

... all triathletes no matter the level have one thing in common ....

we are all stubborn!!

we are out to prove to everyone, but more to ourselves that we can! 

i thought that was a very interesting insite and i know it applys to me!!

so i'm going to start to focus my stubbornness to my advantage!
2010-04-27 5:59 AM
in reply to: #2818671

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Focused stubbornness - - I like that!!

I hope everybody had a good weekend. What's everybody have on tap this week? I have another lighter week planned. I'm hoping maybe I can run a 10 mile PR this weekend. We'll see....

Your assignment this week, should you choose to accept it, is to visit the training logs of a few of your fellow mentor group members and inspire them with some words of encouragement!

Happy training!

2010-04-27 7:21 AM

User image

I have to get back into my training plan after Puerto Rico. Although I ran 3x it was very humid and thus difficult, so I did quick 20 min runs. Did 3x open water swims but didn't track distance or time. I am going to begin again today with a swim and run. Bike was being tuned up while I was away. It's hard to get back into swing of things but I'm ready. Good thing is I lost 1lb on vacation. Don't ask how as I downed many Medallas! Good luck everyone!
2010-04-27 7:34 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Welcome back, Keiren! Sounds like you had a great trip! Don't sweat missing workouts on your vacation.... it's more important for you to have a nice trip with your hubby than to worry about training! I'm sooooo jealous of your ocean swims! Sounds really nice!

2010-04-27 9:05 AM

Veteran

Welcome back Keiren!  And congrats Cat and Jenny on your weekend performances! 

I am all about the swim this week.  I am so "immersed" in Total Immersion, I am actually dreaming about it.  I am determined to transition from the drills to full stroke within the week.   Bike is still in the shop.  Friday I have a walkathon thing with our church.  That should keep me busy into the weekend. 

2010-04-27 11:53 AM

User image

jsnowash - 2010-04-25 4:46 PM The weather cooperated enough to run my half marathon this morning. We drove to the race in pretty steady rain, and were pretty sure we were going to end up bailing, but by the time the race started, the rain slowed to a slight drizzle, and it never rained much harder than that throughout the whole race. It was a little damp, but not bad at all. Official times aren't posted, but my unofficial time (according to my watch) was 2:08 and change. The course was a bit hillier than I expected. Not PR, but I wasn't really expecting one this time around. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the time.

Congrats Jenny! Great job on the half mary! Must have felt great!
2010-04-27 5:00 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Hey everyone!! I'm here! Apparently I've been reading the forums sporadically and haven't been commenting..probably because I've been at work and have been getting exceptionally busy!

Supposed to do a 44 mile bike ride Sunday but girls text me at 5am and said it was raining and foggy and too dangerous so not going. "OK" I said, I looked out my window but couldn't really tell the weather other than fog and I know one of my friends is very detail oriented about weather conditions, safety, etc so I trusted her judgment. Went back to bed, got up around 9am to find out it was still foggy but just a fine mist, no real rain so I was kind of bummed about missing the ride.

Last night had a pool workout with my trainer working on my stroke and breathing then after we were done I continued doing laps for another half hour. Felt pretty good by the end, just need to work on my stroke getting faster.

Have had a headache all day..I'm sure due to stress and a combination of rain in and out of my area so it's sinus/stress headache. Once I can find my Sudafed I should be in better shape. If it lightens up in the next hour I'll be running.

Tomorrow I'm doing spin class then swimming and running kind of light the rest of the week because I've got the Bassman International in Jersey Sunday.

Jenny - way to go on your half-mary!! I can only DREAM of a 2 hour half!! LOL
2010-04-27 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Keiren: Sounds like you had a great time. How you managed to loose weight is beyond me! Congrats.
Kiwi: I think you did the right thing with regards to the weather. You don't want to take any chances while on the bike. There is a bunch of dangerous and careless car drivers out there. Better safe than sorry. Good luck in your race.

I got my bike back today Laughing, like new....I'm loving it. Couldn't wait and went straight to the Mt Gretna bike race course. First time I've done it. Those 2 big hills killed me. I can go forever on rolling hills, but these were a little more than I anticipated. Used my granny gear a couple of times at a 7 mph pace (standing). Averaged about 15.5 mph. Was kinda frustrating. 
Jenny: Do you do any specific training or leg exercises for hills (other than riding hills)?....I hate them.
Fernando. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32