BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-05-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2849378

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Weekly update for Sarah:

Swimming:  Still following the Total Immersion swim program with drills, etc.  These are very slow so I don't get many yards in during my 30 to 40 minutes even though I swim continuously.  Even though the plan doesn't call for it, I end each workout with 50y using whatever technique was the focus of the day.  My swimming does seem to be getting faster and more efficient, although its tough to really know since I haven't gotten to any actual swimming with the program!

Biking:  Still tough.  I just don't have much endurance through the biking movements.  I am going to add an additional ride, perhaps on an indoor trainer, each week.  I'd like to work indoors just to get a feel for cadence and speed.

Running:  Going well.  I have a 10K scheduled for June 6 and I don't anticipate any problems since my long runs are already longer than that.  I'll also be adding an additional run with a friend who is just starting to run so it will be easy and fun. 

Overall:  I don't have any trips/shows/plans in the near future, so I'll be able to really focus on training, rather than just getting the workouts in.  I have solid plans for improving running and swimming, so I will be looking to create or find a plan for improving my biking.

Looking forward to any and all feedback!
Sarah

2010-05-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2853584

User image

Expert
MI
Well I did a ride around on the roads with my clipless- it wasn't bad at all!  I stayed mostly within the subdivisions though so I wouldn't have to deal with any stop and go's.  The only problem with this was that as a result I didn't really practice clipping in and out but oh well.  I did try to randomly clip in and out maybe like 3-4 times.  And ummm yeah, I didn't really realize until I read one of your (Colin) comments that the shoes are meant to TWIST in and out. (You had said something like "remember you're always just a twist away," and that's when I was like OH.) I was always just pulling straight back, which is why I always had so many problems clipping out!!!  Twisting makes it sooo much easier!   Also, I made a slight adjustment to my seat (made it higher) because I was starting to have some slight (bad) feelings in the knees, and I think it made a difference!
2010-05-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2852695

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
cquin534 - 2010-05-11 9:13 PM Thanks Colin, I just emailed Josef today so I'll let you know what he says.  As for my training, its tough for me to cut back on lifting, but getting fast is definitely more of a priority for me now.  Based on my actual and planned training, do you have any suggestions as to how I should alter my workouts?

Chad

Hey Chad,

The first change I recommend is we get some more riding in.  It looks like you only have gotten 1 ride in over the last week and it was for less than 30 minutes.  This could just have been an off week for you, but you need to put that new bike to use Smile.  I know I've said this before, but you typically spend about half of a triathlon on your bike.  As a result, you have a huge advantage if you can get yourself strong on your bike.  With that said, let's get some more rides in.  If possible, try to get a few hour+ rides in per week.  Do you think you could fit that in?
2010-05-12 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2852822

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Slowboy3094 - 2010-05-11 10:13 PM Today, I did boxing, biked for 30 min. 7.15, and 1 hour of yoga.

After I met with a nutrionalist and will begin my new plan tomorrow.  It shouldn't be too hard, considering my wife's plan is similar and I kinda follow hers anyways.  So we shall see.

Tomorrow, I am going to get proper swimming technique instruction.  That should be very benificial.

That's some great stuff for the logs Chris.  You're gonna keep shedding some serious lbs if you keep this up!Smile

How did everything with the nutritionist go?  Any little tidbits or pieces of advice for the rest of the group?

Pumped to hear you're getting some swim instruction.  Keep us posted on that as well!
2010-05-12 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2853584

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-05-12 10:40 AM Weekly update for Sarah:

Swimming:  Still following the Total Immersion swim program with drills, etc.  These are very slow so I don't get many yards in during my 30 to 40 minutes even though I swim continuously.  Even though the plan doesn't call for it, I end each workout with 50y using whatever technique was the focus of the day.  My swimming does seem to be getting faster and more efficient, although its tough to really know since I haven't gotten to any actual swimming with the program!

Biking:  Still tough.  I just don't have much endurance through the biking movements.  I am going to add an additional ride, perhaps on an indoor trainer, each week.  I'd like to work indoors just to get a feel for cadence and speed.

Running:  Going well.  I have a 10K scheduled for June 6 and I don't anticipate any problems since my long runs are already longer than that.  I'll also be adding an additional run with a friend who is just starting to run so it will be easy and fun. 

Overall:  I don't have any trips/shows/plans in the near future, so I'll be able to really focus on training, rather than just getting the workouts in.  I have solid plans for improving running and swimming, so I will be looking to create or find a plan for improving my biking.

Looking forward to any and all feedback!
Sarah

Thanks for the update Sarah!

Yes, I have heard that Total Immerson's style can be rather slow.  However, everyone's different.  However, you mentioned not knowing if you're getting faster or not.  With that said, it is very important to consistently check and see if you're getting faster/making improvements or not.  For swimming, if possible, I would recommend that you a timed 500 yd swim at least every month and record of your results.  If this is too long, you could do a 300 or even a shorter distance, but a 500 should be good for now.  This will be a great way to check your progress.

As I've mentioned before, it sounds you're just in need of some time in the saddle.  If you can add in another ride each week, great!  And if you don't get bored on the trainer, that would be awesome if you made it an indoor ride.  Indoor rides can be extremely beneficial as it eliminates a lot of variables you get outdoors.

Good stuff with your running.  That's great that you're adding in a run with a friend and actually a very slow "recovery" run could be very helpful for you.

That also great news about your schedule.  It makes things a lot easier to get the training in when you don't have potential conflicts.

Keep on rocking Sarah!
2010-05-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2854314

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-05-12 1:59 PM Well I did a ride around on the roads with my clipless- it wasn't bad at all!  I stayed mostly within the subdivisions though so I wouldn't have to deal with any stop and go's.  The only problem with this was that as a result I didn't really practice clipping in and out but oh well.  I did try to randomly clip in and out maybe like 3-4 times.  And ummm yeah, I didn't really realize until I read one of your (Colin) comments that the shoes are meant to TWIST in and out. (You had said something like "remember you're always just a twist away," and that's when I was like OH.) I was always just pulling straight back, which is why I always had so many problems clipping out!!!  Twisting makes it sooo much easier!   Also, I made a slight adjustment to my seat (made it higher) because I was starting to have some slight (bad) feelings in the knees, and I think it made a difference!

Haha, great stuff Samantha!  No wonder why you were having so much trouble with those clip in pedals Smile.  Twisting will definitely make things a lot easier.

Glad the adjustment with the seat helped.  Comfort on the bike is Extremely important.  I'm hoping that you'll be getting as much time as possible in the saddle as well.  I know you're focused on the run, but any extra time you can put in should really help you prepare for your HIM.

2010-05-12 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2854552

User image

Last week was a bit of an off week for me. I usually get at least one long ride in on Fridays and I just got crushed at work.  The cool/wet weather hasn't helped motivate me either. No excuse though, I just need to man up and make the time.  Hoping to get a good ride in this weekend with the weather improving. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks

2010-05-12 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2854566

Basically I found out that I was a protein metabolic person, which means I can eat meat.  However, the meat needs to be free range, grass fed.  Because, if the meat is being fed corn, wheat, etc, then you are essentially eating that.  So, for two weeks, no wheat, dairy, or processed foods.  It won't be that hard but, I have seen the results with my wife.  She is on a different food plan but it is similar.  I only paid 30 dollars for an hour because my wife is also on the plan so I got a discount, but I highly recommend this even if it is only one consultation. 

Everyone is different, therefore no one food plan will work for everyone.

Her only concern was me working out too much.  She stated that this could actually be counter productive and I will eventually stop seeing results. 
2010-05-13 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2855460

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Very interesting on the counter productive comment she said, I wonder now if that is why I have been at a weight stall for the past six months, no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to move. I might look at going to a consultation in my area. Thanks for giving feedback and continue the good work...

Tim 1

Slowboy3094 - 2010-05-13 12:25 AM Basically I found out that I was a protein metabolic person, which means I can eat meat.  However, the meat needs to be free range, grass fed.  Because, if the meat is being fed corn, wheat, etc, then you are essentially eating that.  So, for two weeks, no wheat, dairy, or processed foods.  It won't be that hard but, I have seen the results with my wife.  She is on a different food plan but it is similar.  I only paid 30 dollars for an hour because my wife is also on the plan so I got a discount, but I highly recommend this even if it is only one consultation. 

Her only concern was me working out too much.  She stated that this could actually be counter productive and I will eventually stop seeing results. 
2010-05-13 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin

I'm 30 days out from my first Oly. tri and I'm getting very excited... I feel my training has been going well, but the run is my weakness, recovery from the knee surgery is good and it is time to move forward... what could I do to train to be better and a little quicker in the run... Thanks for the help...

Tim 1
2010-05-13 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2855646

User image

Expert
MI
Hey everyone!  I went to a beginner's triathlon clinic last night which had tidbits of useful information.  I think what I found the most useful was their little transition tips that they gave out, because they mentioned things I probably wouldn't have thought about.  It was free and put on at REI, so if you have an REI store nearby, I recommend checking out rei.com to see if they have any upcoming tri clinics!  They also put on a bunch of other outdoorsy related clinics (including bike maintenance), which may or may not be free.

2010-05-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2855460

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Slowboy3094 - 2010-05-13 12:25 AM Basically I found out that I was a protein metabolic person, which means I can eat meat.  However, the meat needs to be free range, grass fed.  Because, if the meat is being fed corn, wheat, etc, then you are essentially eating that.  So, for two weeks, no wheat, dairy, or processed foods.  It won't be that hard but, I have seen the results with my wife.  She is on a different food plan but it is similar.  I only paid 30 dollars for an hour because my wife is also on the plan so I got a discount, but I highly recommend this even if it is only one consultation. 

Very interesting Chris!  That does make sense.  There is supposed to be a really neat nutrition guy at the course I'm talking this weekend so I'm hoping to get some better information about nutrition.  Nonetheless, $30 for a single consultation is a great deal!  I may look into that...

Thanks for sharing Chris!
2010-05-13 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2855646

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-05-13 8:22 AM Colin

I'm 30 days out from my first Oly. tri and I'm getting very excited... I feel my training has been going well, but the run is my weakness, recovery from the knee surgery is good and it is time to move forward... what could I do to train to be better and a little quicker in the run... Thanks for the help...

Tim 1

Hey Tim,

Sounds great!  I'd love to help you improve your run before the race.  From what I have learned so far, if you want to get faster, you need to run faster.  LOL, that may sound a little obvious, but let me elaborate.  It is very important to incorporate some type of speed work into at least one of your weekly runs if you want to get faster.  This could include tempo runs and/or track workouts.  However, I have one very important question before we move forward with this.  You said the recovery with the knee is good, but is it ready to be pushed?  That may have been what you were saying when you said the recovery from the knee surgery is good, but I want to double check.  Get back to me on that and we get a plan in place.  Also, how many days and how much time do you want to put towards the run each week?
2010-05-13 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2856048

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-05-13 10:46 AM Hey everyone!  I went to a beginner's triathlon clinic last night which had tidbits of useful information.  I think what I found the most useful was their little transition tips that they gave out, because they mentioned things I probably wouldn't have thought about.  It was free and put on at REI, so if you have an REI store nearby, I recommend checking out rei.com to see if they have any upcoming tri clinics!  They also put on a bunch of other outdoorsy related clinics (including bike maintenance), which may or may not be free.

Very cool Samantha!  That sounds really it was a great event and you can't beat the price.  It is very important to have a game plan for your transitions.  I don't I have linked to this before, but I have a few videos on my tri club's website that could be helpful to people.  If anyone is interested, take a look at this:

http://wp.northeastmultisport.com/training/transition/

Thanks for sharing Samantha!
2010-05-13 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2856917

User image

Expert
MI
Assuming it's not an abnormally hot day, how much fluid should be consumed during a sprint tri?  I have a 20 oz bottle of G2 I was thinking of taking along.  Do you think that would work?
2010-05-13 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2856895

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin
I think I'm ready to push it, I've been doing two runs per week, I do a short and a long run per week, time is based off what the program says that I've been following in my training log... Look forward to the plan...also if you find some nutrition tips in that class I would like to hear so i can trick this body and get some weight coming off.... Thanks Colin

Tim 1

hockeyhands - 2010-05-13 2:16 PM
shake-n-bake - 2010-05-13 8:22 AM Colin

Tim 1

Hey Tim,

Sounds great!  I'd love to help you improve your run before the race.  From what I have learned so far, if you want to get faster, you need to run faster.  LOL, that may sound a little obvious, but let me elaborate.  It is very important to incorporate some type of speed work into at least one of your weekly runs if you want to get faster.  This could include tempo runs and/or track workouts.  However, I have one very important question before we move forward with this.  You said the recovery with the knee is good, but is it ready to be pushed?  That may have been what you were saying when you said the recovery from the knee surgery is good, but I want to double check.  Get back to me on that and we get a plan in place.  Also, how many days and how much time do you want to put towards the run each week?

2010-05-13 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2852007

User image

hockeyhands - 2010-05-11 3:50 PM
LOL, yeah I couldn't image somewhere being all that account in wind like that!  I still get fascinated every time you talk about your shooting.  You're obviously one heck of a shot if you're talking about going to the World Champs Team tryouts.  It also sounds it could be a great time for you to get some good training in.  I'm also really happy that you've been keeping up with all your training with all the traveling you've been doing.  That's definitely not easy to do.

Keep up the great work and best of luck in your tryouts!

Ahhh, lovely Ft Benning.  Got a decent bike ride in yesterday (miles of vacant roads out here) and hit the base pool today.  It was quite entertaining and I hadn't really planned on sighting practice in a lap pool.  However, the 6 (yes, 6) other guys in the lane were more interested in the ladies running around than doing laps.  So, I spent a lot of time dodging legs at each end.  It got a bit more interesting when a solider jumped in with his uniform on, I guess to practice water survival.  Had to dodge him too, but it was all good.

Shooting training has been going well, but my haitus to Iraq certainly put a dent in my skills.  I've been working on it, but they're not all the way back yet.  Still have a few more days training and the fun begins.  You sound interested, so...  At the 2008 Olympic trials, Military Times sent some writers down and they interviewed several of the military shooters.  They wrote a really good article and used some random guy they found wandering around for an equipment model.  Here's a link to the article and check out the link to the equipment stuff at the bottom.  Still kind of weird seeing that.  So, yes I'm not bad; but I have a long way to go.  I think I was 14th at the trials.  The article (and Sandra's story) does a nice job capturing the unforgiving nature of the sport.    Everyone is so good that there is no room for error.  One or two bad shots (in a 3 or 4 hour match) and you're done.  Time to pack up, go home, and try again in 4 years.  A good friend of mine, Matt Emmons, was in the lead in the final at both the Athens and Beijing games and he made a bad shot on his last shot (both times).  In both cases he went from a gold medal to no medal (1st to 8th and 1st to 4th) in one shot.  He was the best in the World for 129 shots.  Unfortunately, the match is 130.  He just made the WC team and I expect he'll be in the mix for London in 2012.

Take Care,
Mark

Edited by mdgould 2010-05-13 11:55 PM
2010-05-14 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2854628

User image

Veteran
The past two times I've been swimming my calves and/or feet have been cramping up a little.  Anyone have any ideas why?  Oddly, they're fine when I run and bike. 
2010-05-14 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2859823

User image

My calves also cramp up, I think its from trying to point my toes which I guess I'm not used to.  The worst thing for me lately has been my hip flexors.  I know you are supposed to kick from your hips, but it's been bad enough to make running afterwards difficult.  Any suggestions there too would be great.
2010-05-14 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2860037

User image

Expert
MI
Sorry no suggestions, but there was one time that my hips were also bothering me during swimming and I thought it was weird.  Nice to know I'm not the only one lol.  I was hoping it was a sign that I was kicking the proper way.  Fortunately though it was a one time occurrence and hasn't happened since.  In regards to the calves/toes, I'm always worried that keeping the toes pointed for an extended period of time is going to mess with my achilles, so I always try to stretch my calves afterwards... but that's just me.  Maybe try stretching hip flexors/calves before swimming?
2010-05-15 2:42 AM

Hi everyone,

Uhhhh, we're in trouble (my daughter and I).  I was really slammed at work over the past couple of weeks and our training kind of went by the wayside--meaning nothing but a bike ride or two.

Anyway, we've been catching up on everyone's posts and we're really motivated now (also helps that our tri date has magically jumped a few weeks closer).

Hope everyone has a great weekend and promise to post again soon with an actual training update.

Joni (and Chloe)

2010-05-15 7:24 PM

Yesterday, I did yoga in the morning, a 30 minute 7.28 mile bike warm up before and hour of Muay Thai sparring/training. 

Today, the wife needed the car so I rode my bike to work.  14.5 miles in an hour and 5 minutes.  Not bad with a 30lb backpack with all my work stuff and with wind and traffic.  Then I did only 300 yards swimming because I was tired and hungry.  The legs felt fine in the water though. 
2010-05-15 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2861002

User image

So I took my new bike out (owned it for a month) today and meant to ride 24 miles (double my longest indoor ride).  Got a little bit lost and ended up riding 32 miles.   Averaged 13.5 mph, which is pretty slow but considering this was by far a new long for me i thought it worked out pretty well. 
Just thought I'd share, getting lost stinks!
2010-05-16 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

Sorry about not posting in a few days, but I've been super busy.  The USAT course has been absolutely amazing!  I've learned so much!  I was also able to meet up with Andrew last night for dinner and we had a few drinks after.  He's a really good kid and we had a great time.  I'm really glad we met up.  I've got one more day left of the course and I'll get home late tonight so I'll get to your questions sometime tomorrow hopefully.

I hope everyone's having a good weekend!
2010-05-16 11:46 AM

User image

Hey Colin,

I finally am starting to be able to breath while swimming.  My time has gone from 700m/36m to 700m/24m.  I have done 100m/2:09m   which brings to a question of training.  Is it better to do groups of shorter distances faster or just keep working on the distance.... or maybe both?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24