BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-05-21 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2780242

Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!
I am going to do my first tri event ever tomorrow.  It is a mini tri (300 yard swim, 9 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run).  I have never done anything like this before and I am excited/nervous.  Any advice besides have fun?  I am not competitive but I have a hard time having fun doing this stuff because I am so focused on what I am doing and how well I am doing.  I am hoping to finish in 2 hours. Laughing  

2010-05-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2873069

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kathy79 - 2010-05-21 9:23 AM I am going to do my first tri event ever tomorrow.  It is a mini tri (300 yard swim, 9 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run).  I have never done anything like this before and I am excited/nervous.  Any advice besides have fun?  I am not competitive but I have a hard time having fun doing this stuff because I am so focused on what I am doing and how well I am doing.  I am hoping to finish in 2 hours. Laughing  

Good luck! Glad someone is racing this weekend.

Try to stay as relaxed as you can. It's hard to do but really try to focus on it. You can waste a lot of energy from being too nervous. Sleep is important. Just do your normal stuff, you don't want to try new things or vary your routine prior to a race. Make sure you are hydrated well the day before and the morning of the race.

Layout your stuff for the transitions the night before and after you are satisfied you have everything you need pack up right then and there. Don’t walk away from it or say I’ll do it later.

Of course if you don't sleep do it anyway - I got 4 hours of sleep before my first sprint-tri last year and I crossed the finish line. Laughing

Edited by acv 2010-05-21 8:44 AM
2010-05-21 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2873069

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

kathy79 - 2010-05-21 6:23 AM I am going to do my first tri event ever tomorrow.  It is a mini tri (300 yard swim, 9 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run).  I have never done anything like this before and I am excited/nervous.  Any advice besides have fun?  I am not competitive but I have a hard time having fun doing this stuff because I am so focused on what I am doing and how well I am doing.  I am hoping to finish in 2 hours. Laughing  

Kathy - You have hit the nail on the head with the goal for your first race - HAVE FUN!  Have the goal to finish - upright and smiling.  Thank all of the volunteers and enjoy the experience.  There is nothing like crosssing the finish line for the first time.  To make the experience more enjoyable, try to take stress out of the equation as much as possible.  Think through your transitions to know everything you will need and have everything packed as early as possible today.  Try to relax some this evening, have a 'safe' dinner (one that you know won't upset your stomach or be too heavy) and try to get a good night's rest.  Get to the race site early, get set up, and get your mind settled.  You don't want to be scrambling and stressed out before you hit the water.  From there, just let your body take over and allow it to do what you have trained it to do.  If you think of anything today that you have questions about, post them and everyone will chip in to try to help you out.  Good luck!!! 

2010-05-21 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I am racing on Sunday, excited and nervous that i haven't done enough, guess i will find out Sunday huh? I have gone over my transitions twice so far, and will probably do it again tonight. Last i check the water was at a balmy 60ish degrees and murky. they are forecasting mid 80's with upwards of 50% humidity and winds sustained at 20 gusting to 30+, should be interesting (think i better skip the Zipps Laughing)  

In my past couple races and some simulations done with the multisport group i belong to, I have found that all nervousness leaves in seconds, and my competitiveness takes over, allowing me to shave time off my run pace, and increase my bike speed by 2 or 3 mph. I am hoping to get this one done in under 1:40.00, but will see what the elements throw at me. 

Best of luck on the races to others this weekend, and to those new graduates as well !!! Smile, have fun and remember all that you have done to get here!  
2010-05-21 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2873324

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

dmwill37 - 2010-05-21 7:17 AM I am racing on Sunday, excited and nervous that i haven't done enough, guess i will find out Sunday huh? I have gone over my transitions twice so far, and will probably do it again tonight. Last i check the water was at a balmy 60ish degrees and murky. they are forecasting mid 80's with upwards of 50% humidity and winds sustained at 20 gusting to 30+, should be interesting (think i better skip the Zipps Laughing)  

In my past couple races and some simulations done with the multisport group i belong to, I have found that all nervousness leaves in seconds, and my competitiveness takes over, allowing me to shave time off my run pace, and increase my bike speed by 2 or 3 mph. I am hoping to get this one done in under 1:40.00, but will see what the elements throw at me. 

Best of luck on the races to others this weekend, and to those new graduates as well !!! Smile, have fun and remember all that you have done to get here!  

Good luck this weekend, Dave!  Just remember that whatever tough conditions you run into, everyone else has to deal with them too!!

2010-05-21 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2873171

I hope I have trained enough but I guess I will find out. This is a total practice run for me to see where I stand.  My hubby is going to be there to cheer me on and I invited my brother and his little girl as well.  As I have used things this week I have left them by the front door so hopefully I won't forget anything tomorrow. 

I am debating on if I should use my HRM or not.  I bought it but really haven't played around with it much but I did bring the instructions with me to read today on lunch.  I am not one who will mess around with it if it isn't working while I am racing.  Any thoughts?  Also, any suggestions for counting laps in the pool. I am responsible for counting my own laps which seems easy but I am worried I am going to lose count (btw, I am an Accountant and I am worried about counting to 8). 

2010-05-21 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2873861

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
kathy79 - 2010-05-21 11:15 AM I hope I have trained enough but I guess I will find out. This is a total practice run for me to see where I stand.  My hubby is going to be there to cheer me on and I invited my brother and his little girl as well.  As I have used things this week I have left them by the front door so hopefully I won't forget anything tomorrow. 

I am debating on if I should use my HRM or not.  I bought it but really haven't played around with it much but I did bring the instructions with me to read today on lunch.  I am not one who will mess around with it if it isn't working while I am racing.  Any thoughts?  Also, any suggestions for counting laps in the pool. I am responsible for counting my own laps which seems easy but I am worried I am going to lose count (btw, I am an Accountant and I am worried about counting to 8). 

As far as I know i only ever swim 5 laps in the pool, since that is when i lose count in every session!  
2010-05-21 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

kathy79 - 2010-05-21 9:15 AM I hope I have trained enough but I guess I will find out. This is a total practice run for me to see where I stand.  My hubby is going to be there to cheer me on and I invited my brother and his little girl as well.  As I have used things this week I have left them by the front door so hopefully I won't forget anything tomorrow. 

No tips on the counting, but I think you'll be just fine. 

As far as the HRM, skip it for tomorrow and just wear whatever watch you used in training.  People always say 'nothing new on race day', and I think this is a good time to apply it.  It will only complicate things - start playing with  training with your HRM on Sunday or Monday. 

2010-05-21 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kathy79 - 2010-05-21 12:15 PM I hope I have trained enough but I guess I will find out. This is a total practice run for me to see where I stand.  My hubby is going to be there to cheer me on and I invited my brother and his little girl as well.  As I have used things this week I have left them by the front door so hopefully I won't forget anything tomorrow. 

I would skip the HRM as well.

As far as counting te laps goes are there any sporting goods stores near you? A tri-shop or something? They make waterproof counters some of them mount on your finger, too late to order one. But you might be able to buy one at a store. You could use a watch and just keep pressing the lap button (I’ve done this before) it may break your rhythm a little.

OR if your hubby is willing and is near enough to you (not sure of the setup) he could count for you Cool

2010-05-21 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2873324

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-05-21 10:17 AM I am racing on Sunday, excited and nervous that i haven't done enough, guess i will find out Sunday huh? I have gone over my transitions twice so far, and will probably do it again tonight. Last i check the water was at a balmy 60ish degrees and murky. they are forecasting mid 80's with upwards of 50% humidity and winds sustained at 20 gusting to 30+, should be interesting (think i better skip the Zipps Laughing)  

Good luck Dave!
2010-05-21 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Transition questions:

Since a few people have races this weekend I was curious about running with your bike. Do you hold onto the handle bars, stem or the saddle when you run with it in/out of transition?

I was surprised to find that when I held onto the saddle I have very good control of the bike.

Edited by acv 2010-05-21 3:37 PM

2010-05-21 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2874602

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-21 12:48 PM

Transition questions:

Since a few people have races this weekend I was curious about running with your bike. Do you hold onto the handle bars, stem or the saddle when you run with it in/out of transition?

I was surprised t to find that when I held onto the saddle I have very good control of the bike.

I generally hold it by the stem.  Like you, I have found that holding the saddle does keep it fairly stable, but usually my transiiton areas are on grass and I get nervous that the wheel will turn on its own, so I have just gotten used to the stem to be on the safe side....

2010-05-21 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2874760

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
BHannahs - 2010-05-21 3:37 PM

acv - 2010-05-21 12:48 PM

Transition questions:

I was surprised t to find that when I held onto the saddle I have very good control of the bike.

stem as well for me, but had to learn to keep the pedal on that side to the back, learned this the hard way! 

I generally hold it by the stem.  Like you, I have found that holding the saddle does keep it fairly stable, but usually my transiiton areas are on grass and I get nervous that the wheel will turn on its own, so I have just gotten used to the stem to be on the safe side....

2010-05-23 1:35 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
race complete, had a blast! full details in the my race logs, but 1:39.12, 7 out of 19 in my AG, and 125 out of 303 overall. Got a lot to work on, but a good start.
2010-05-23 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2876586

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

dmwill37 - 2010-05-23 11:35 AM race complete, had a blast! full details in the my race logs, but 1:39.12, 7 out of 19 in my AG, and 125 out of 303 overall. Got a lot to work on, but a good start.

That's fantastic, Dave - GREAT job!!!

2010-05-23 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2876586

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-05-23 2:35 PM race complete, had a blast! full details in the my race logs, but 1:39.12, 7 out of 19 in my AG, and 125 out of 303 overall. Got a lot to work on, but a good start.

Nice job! Glad you had a blast that's important too.

2010-05-24 7:57 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Thanks! here is a link to the entire field for both distances. http://onlineraceresults.com/event/view_event.php?event_id=4924
2010-05-24 9:29 AM

My Mini Tri went well this weekend. I finished at 1hr 23 minutes.  Not great but not bad.  Now that it is over there are a lot of things I wished I did differently but I am trying not to dwell on that too much.  I finished and I am very happy with myself.  The swim was rough.  I was in a lane with a girl who was comparable to me in size and speed but when she finished Michael Phelps got in the lane with me.  The first time he passed me, his wall of water pushed me into the side of the pool and I was using a lot of energy trying to get through his wake.  I stopped when I saw him coming and just stood there and waited for him to pass after that first incident.  I was pleased with myself for being able to laugh it off and continue to the bike ride.  I was happy with my bike ride.  There was a large hill that I rode that a lot of people walked.  I ended up walking the run with a few bursts of jogging.  I now know what I need to work on.  I had a lot of fun and really did enjoy myself.  Half way through the race I was thinking I am never going to do this again and then when I finished I was wondering when the next one was. 
2010-05-24 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Congratulations Kathy, great job! I am with you on wanting to do my next one, and am sitting here today trying not to be too upset with myslef for not going a little harder. I too know what i need to work on, so it sounds like we both took a lot of learning lessons away from our races. Congrats again, and very good race!
2010-05-24 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2877804

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kathy79 - 2010-05-24 10:29 AM My Mini Tri went well this weekend. I finished at 1hr 23 minutes.  Not great but not bad.  Now that it is over there are a lot of things I wished I did differently but I am trying not to dwell on that too much.  I finished and I am very happy with myself.  The swim was rough.  I was in a lane with a girl who was comparable to me in size and speed but when she finished Michael Phelps got in the lane with me.  The first time he passed me, his wall of water pushed me into the side of the pool and I was using a lot of energy trying to get through his wake.  I stopped when I saw him coming and just stood there and waited for him to pass after that first incident.  I was pleased with myself for being able to laugh it off and continue to the bike ride.  I was happy with my bike ride.  There was a large hill that I rode that a lot of people walked.  I ended up walking the run with a few bursts of jogging.  I now know what I need to work on.  I had a lot of fun and really did enjoy myself.  Half way through the race I was thinking I am never going to do this again and then when I finished I was wondering when the next one was. 

Good job! Just remember you did it and that’s more than most people can say.

During my swim last year I felt the same way as you I almost quit. I don't know how many times I said just pack it in and swim to the beach. At some point I decided to make mini-races during the swim. I kept on saying just get to the next buoy. When I made the turn something clicked – I decided that I was going to finish what I started. So I did.

2010-05-24 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2877861

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-05-24 10:47 AM Congratulations Kathy, great job! I am with you on wanting to do my next one, and am sitting here today trying not to be too upset with myslef for not going a little harder. I too know what i need to work on, so it sounds like we both took a lot of learning lessons away from our races. Congrats again, and very good race!

Set your sights on the next race - you finished and for most that’s the only goal. I second guessed my effort on the run after the race but I was spent. This year I'm training harder/more and I know what to expect during the race. It's hard to put it all together the first time.

Learn from it but don't dwell on it. Write down some notes on things to improve or gear you thought would be good to have for the next race and review them often.

2010-05-24 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

After I was done with my morning swim I noticed something rather odd. It was another swimmer in the water! It makes me feel good to think that I’m not totally insane.

On a side note whoever it was had a beautiful fluid stroke. It was a pleasure to watch.

2010-05-24 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2878577

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
acv - 2010-05-24 1:41 PM
dmwill37 - 2010-05-24 10:47 AM Congratulations Kathy, great job! I am with you on wanting to do my next one, and am sitting here today trying not to be too upset with myslef for not going a little harder. I too know what i need to work on, so it sounds like we both took a lot of learning lessons away from our races. Congrats again, and very good race!

Set your sights on the next race - you finished and for most that’s the only goal. I second guessed my effort on the run after the race but I was spent. This year I'm training harder/more and I know what to expect during the race. It's hard to put it all together the first time.

Learn from it but don't dwell on it. Write down some notes on things to improve or gear you thought would be good to have for the next race and review them often.

Excellent advice, and already editing my training plan so I can improve my weakness's. Just want to say I really love this group, everyone is very helpful and supportive, and picking up some great tips and tricks, it is really been a great help. As i look through my times my transition times are a minute to a minute and a half more than others, I guess that experience is really the key to getting better at transitions? or anyone have any advice? 
2010-05-24 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2877804

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

kathy79 - 2010-05-24 7:29 AM My Mini Tri went well this weekend. I finished at 1hr 23 minutes.  Not great but not bad.  Now that it is over there are a lot of things I wished I did differently but I am trying not to dwell on that too much.  I finished and I am very happy with myself.  The swim was rough.  I was in a lane with a girl who was comparable to me in size and speed but when she finished Michael Phelps got in the lane with me.  The first time he passed me, his wall of water pushed me into the side of the pool and I was using a lot of energy trying to get through his wake.  I stopped when I saw him coming and just stood there and waited for him to pass after that first incident.  I was pleased with myself for being able to laugh it off and continue to the bike ride.  I was happy with my bike ride.  There was a large hill that I rode that a lot of people walked.  I ended up walking the run with a few bursts of jogging.  I now know what I need to work on.  I had a lot of fun and really did enjoy myself.  Half way through the race I was thinking I am never going to do this again and then when I finished I was wondering when the next one was. 

I'm so glad it went well and you're looking forward to the next one, Kathy!  I think most of us can relate to what you went through.  I find that in both training and racing, when fatigue starts to set it I can go through huge ranges of emotions.  When I get down and question why I am doing it, I call it 'going to the dark place', and over time, I have learned how to think my way past it.  I always remember that brighter times are ahead and if I just keep going, things will look up.  Invariably, when I get to the finish line, and look back on the race, I remember the rewards more and the difficulty in getting there is minimized.  And that quest for the 'perfect race' - where everything goes right and you feel great from start to finish - is what keep many of us going back again and again and again!    

2010-05-24 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2878628

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

dmwill37 - 2010-05-24 11:57 AM
acv - 2010-05-24 1:41 PM

Excellent advice, and already editing my training plan so I can improve my weakness's. Just want to say I really love this group, everyone is very helpful and supportive, and picking up some great tips and tricks, it is really been a great help. As i look through my times my transition times are a minute to a minute and a half more than others, I guess that experience is really the key to getting better at transitions? or anyone have any advice? 

Even though I am not great at transitions, I have improved in them over time.  The keys for me are to be organized and efficient and to leave nothing to think about or decide on when I am there - just be on auto pilot.  With some experience, you'll find what works best for you.  For example, I have learned that my balance is terrible in T1 and I used to waste a lot of time trying to stand up and dance around trying to remove my wetsuit.  I'm a lot faster if I just drop to the ground and yank it right off.  Other people are much faster standing.  I also insist on wearing socks througout the race, which takes a little time (although for me, it is faster that putting my shoes directly on wet feet) - however, I try to minimize it by rolling them off my feet and putting them in my bike shoes before the race.  During transition, I can just roll them right on so it doesn't slow me down much.  Just a couple of ideas - keep practicing and find the things that make yours as efficient as possible. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21