General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-01-06 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3052877

Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Hi.
   After some advice about swimming techniques.
   I am 46 and am embarking on my first ever triathlon in June so am in training.
   I am relatively fit and have always considered myself a fairly strong swimmer but have never 
   swam with any technique.
   I have started swimming with my head in the water and am trying to learn the breathing      
   technique but find it difficult to keep any kind of rhythm. Any tips would be helpful.
   Thanks

2011-01-06 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3281291

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ducdiva - 2011-01-06 1:11 AM Hi all, I did Sara's Week 4 Workout #3 this morning and here is my brief bio and report.

Bio: only able to swim 25m 5 weeks ago, mix &match different programs, try to follow Sara's swim training when I can

report: warm up ok, still mix in a lap of breast stroke, still unable to kick a full 25m, only can kick about 2/3 of a lap, arms got tired after 200m of pull, mix in every other breath, bilateral, every 4th etc. to try to regulate my breath.

Overall, I achieved about 60-70% of the exact workout, probably will repeat week 4 next week, feel disappointed not being able to do the whole thing. I might even need to go back to week 3.

Thanks for giving that feedback. It's really, REALLY ok to repeat a week or two until you feel confident to move on. I have my clients do that all the time with their core work. I know it's frustrating, but you are doing SO GOOD with your consistency and it WILL all be worth it in the end. Keep it up!
2011-01-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3282332

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
themekon - 2011-01-06 11:53 AM Hi.
   After some advice about swimming techniques.
   I am 46 and am embarking on my first ever triathlon in June so am in training.
   I am relatively fit and have always considered myself a fairly strong swimmer but have never 
   swam with any technique.
   I have started swimming with my head in the water and am trying to learn the breathing      
   technique but find it difficult to keep any kind of rhythm. Any tips would be helpful.
   Thanks

Welcome to BT! Are you following the Learn How To Swim plan? What week are you on?
2011-01-06 4:00 PM

User image

New user
Got room for one more in your group?

I just started week one of the Learn how to swim program. I can keep from drowning as long as my head is out of the water.  Laughing I've been practicing some breathing techinques out of the water the last few days and can't wait to try them in the pool tomorrow morning!

My first sprint tri is in July so I should have plenty of time to practice.

Thanks
Rachel
2011-01-06 4:52 PM

User image

New user

I am stoked to start this program.
My first Tri is May 1st. It is a short 150 meter swim in a pool.
Second Tri is July 24th. It is a 400 meter open ocean swim.
I am little more worried about the open ocean swim.
Hopefully I will be more comfortable by then.
2011-01-08 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3283005

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rachel5576 - 2011-01-06 4:00 PM Got room for one more in your group?

I just started week one of the Learn how to swim program. I can keep from drowning as long as my head is out of the water.  Laughing I've been practicing some breathing techinques out of the water the last few days and can't wait to try them in the pool tomorrow morning!

My first sprint tri is in July so I should have plenty of time to practice.

Thanks
Rachel

Hi Rachel. Welcome to BT! We are happy to have you here in the forum. Congrats on taking charge of your swim training now so you have plenty of time to improve. I bet you will be AMAZED how far you have come by the day of your first race!

2011-01-23 3:07 AM

Hi all,  I did Sara's Week 4 Workout #2 and here is my brief bio and report.

Bio: only able to swim 25m 8 weeks ago, mix &match different programs at the beginning then jump start to Sara's program when I can do a 100m warm up (mix stokes). I repeated Sara's program week 3 and 4 to get more comfortable.

report: I swam the 200m set and 300m set, mixed in a lap or two of breast stroke. I felt pretty happy today because it's was a big leap from my last 100m set. Overall I was able to relax and swim the longer set. Instead of focusing on bilateral breathing, I was breathing every other stroke so I didn't have to worry about drinking water on my left side and got tense up. I am looking forward to week 5 and on.

2011-01-23 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Superior

Hi, I've entered my 1st tri in June, its a sprint. I'm 54 and needed motivation to get in shape, I started the couch to sprint in 12 weeks and am on week 2. I have found the swim portion beyond my ability so I searched the articles and found this. Thought I would join the forum, it seems to help motivate me, I also joined a mentor program too. I start in the pool tomorrow, I will let you know how week 1 goes.

I thought I was a good swimmer, I love the water and have been in it my whole life. But structured swim has never been a priority so obviously I will have to stop playing in the water and start working.

2011-01-24 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3315957

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ducdiva - 2011-01-23 3:07 AM Hi all,  I did Sara's Week 4 Workout #2 and here is my brief bio and report.

Bio: only able to swim 25m 8 weeks ago, mix &match different programs at the beginning then jump start to Sara's program when I can do a 100m warm up (mix stokes). I repeated Sara's program week 3 and 4 to get more comfortable.

report: I swam the 200m set and 300m set, mixed in a lap or two of breast stroke. I felt pretty happy today because it's was a big leap from my last 100m set. Overall I was able to relax and swim the longer set. Instead of focusing on bilateral breathing, I was breathing every other stroke so I didn't have to worry about drinking water on my left side and got tense up. I am looking forward to week 5 and on.

Thank you so much for sharing your success with us! Congrats on your hard work paying off!
2011-01-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3316582

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tkr2770 - 2011-01-23 3:34 PM

Hi, I've entered my 1st tri in June, its a sprint. I'm 54 and needed motivation to get in shape, I started the couch to sprint in 12 weeks and am on week 2. I have found the swim portion beyond my ability so I searched the articles and found this. Thought I would join the forum, it seems to help motivate me, I also joined a mentor program too. I start in the pool tomorrow, I will let you know how week 1 goes.

I thought I was a good swimmer, I love the water and have been in it my whole life. But structured swim has never been a priority so obviously I will have to stop playing in the water and start working.

Welcome! You are being really smart by adjusting your training. I bet this swim program will help you improve with more confidence. Let me know if you need any help as you get started!
2011-02-02 6:41 PM

I need help with swimming. I'm in pretty good shape but feel like I'm completely out of breath after 25m. I think I'm going too fast but can't figure out how to slow down. The few times I've tried to do 50m I nearly swallowed the pool and was completely winded after I hit the wall. Any suggestions for getting the breathing under control?

2011-02-02 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3336222

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
zeusmt - 2011-02-02 6:41 PM I need help with swimming. I'm in pretty good shape but feel like I'm completely out of breath after 25m. I think I'm going too fast but can't figure out how to slow down. The few times I've tried to do 50m I nearly swallowed the pool and was completely winded after I hit the wall. Any suggestions for getting the breathing under control?

Welcome to BT! You are not alone. A lot of new swimmers have issues with breathing. You need to learn how to balance in the water so that you can slow down. Your hips and legs are probably dropping and that creates a situation where you are struggling to just stay above water.
Red through this thread and search the Tri Talk forum for swimming threads. This comes up pretty frequently and there has been lots of great advice shared.
Here is one.
Another one.
Another.

Swimming is very technique-based. The very best thing you can do is to hire a swim coach for a couple of sessions. It will do you a ton of good.
2011-02-02 8:03 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Here is another thread on swim breathing.
2011-02-03 2:48 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to this group. I've lurked for awhile, and it's nice to read that I'm not the only one that struggles. I'm only on the Week 2 #2 workout. I've already gone from barely being able to hit 25 yards a few weeks ago (I'm doing to die) to hitting 200-300 continuous (Still might die but more relaxed about it) So I'm optimistic over the long haul.

I've researched a good bit, so I'm getting to be pretty self aware when I'm messing up and I focus on doing drills rather than pounding out laps. My biggest issue (seems to be anyway) right now is my extended arm while breathing. I've noticed that when I breath, my tendency is for the extended arm to drop to the bottom to help balance myself. But I'm not sure why I'm becoming so unbalanced while breathing in the first place. What are the usual suspects? Am I raising my head too much while breathing? not rotating enough? Put on more weight? Get a snorkeling tube and be done with it?

Edited by BC4UA 2011-02-03 2:49 PM
2011-02-03 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3337828

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
BC4UA - 2011-02-03 2:48 PM Just wanted to say thanks to this group. I've lurked for awhile, and it's nice to read that I'm not the only one that struggles. I'm only on the Week 2 #2 workout. I've already gone from barely being able to hit 25 yards a few weeks ago (I'm doing to die) to hitting 200-300 continuous (Still might die but more relaxed about it) So I'm optimistic over the long haul.

I've researched a good bit, so I'm getting to be pretty self aware when I'm messing up and I focus on doing drills rather than pounding out laps. My biggest issue (seems to be anyway) right now is my extended arm while breathing. I've noticed that when I breath, my tendency is for the extended arm to drop to the bottom to help balance myself. But I'm not sure why I'm becoming so unbalanced while breathing in the first place. What are the usual suspects? Am I raising my head too much while breathing? not rotating enough? Put on more weight? Get a snorkeling tube and be done with it?

Glad you are seeing some solid progress! Are you paying attention to your feet when you breath? Sometimes the feet come far apart when you breath and that causes all kinds of balance issues.
2011-02-04 2:53 AM

Hi all, it's been 10 days since I post last and I want to report my progress of following Sara's beginner swimming program.

About me: 41 yo, Start swimming 10 weeks ago, barely can swim 25m. Just like BC4UA member said, "I am going to die". Mix and match different starting program. Then follow Sara's program and repeat week 3 and 4 until I felt more comfortable to move on to month 2.

Today: Week 6 work out 3 (250 warm w/fins, 250 swim, 250 pull, 250 swim, 100 cool). I was nervous about today's workout.... but I did it. and better yet, I swam my 2nd 250m with all freestyle and very relaxed. ( the first 250m i mixed 2 laps of breast stroke). Today is the first time I felt like I got into the aerobic zone, like running with 130 bpm. Overall I am happy even though I still have problem breathing on my left. Mostly I just breath every other stroke on my right. I think that bilateral breathing will come in time.

Does anyone have recommendation on how to improve my left side breathing? I am still drinking water on my left, slapping my left arm and out of balance. Thank you.

Elaine

Edited by ducdiva 2011-02-04 2:55 AM

2011-02-04 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3338242

Tri Take Me Away - 2011-02-03 6:30 PM
BC4UA - 2011-02-03 2:48 PM Just wanted to say thanks to this group. I've lurked for awhile, and it's nice to read that I'm not the only one that struggles. I'm only on the Week 2 #2 workout. I've already gone from barely being able to hit 25 yards a few weeks ago (I'm doing to die) to hitting 200-300 continuous (Still might die but more relaxed about it) So I'm optimistic over the long haul.

Glad you are seeing some solid progress! Are you paying attention to your feet when you breath? Sometimes the feet come far apart when you breath and that causes all kinds of balance issues.

No, but I bet they do come apart now that I think about it. A co-worker who swims well noticed my head was still lifting too much when I breathe last night. Corrected that, and I had my longest swim ever last night. Swam a straight 400 (previously 200 was an ordeal) yards last night, and when I finished I could have kept going. Finally had that "a-ha" moment everyone else seems to have when stuff starts working.
2011-02-07 4:53 AM

I am still the same weight as I started to swim 10 weeks ago. I swim 3x a week following Sara's program. Does anyone has any success on loosing weight with swimming?

Elaine
2011-02-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3342451

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ducdiva - 2011-02-07 4:53 AM I am still the same weight as I started to swim 10 weeks ago. I swim 3x a week following Sara's program. Does anyone has any success on loosing weight with swimming?

Elaine

Hi Elaine. Plenty of triathletes struggle with weight loss. Part of the problem may be that your weight hasn't changed because you have lost fat but built muscle, which is good! Do your clothes fit the same?
Adding a lot of time to your workout schedule can also cause you to eat more, so it might be helpful to keep track of your calories for a few weeks to see how much of a calorie deficit you are creating.
Some people find that swimming makes them hungrier than running or cycling, too. If you are swimming mostly to lose weight, you might want to reconsider your approach. If you are following this program to get ready to a triathlon, then stick with it. You might find that once you add more biking and running that you lose some weight.
2011-02-08 1:41 PM

Regular
Hi there, I just found this forum and am really happy to have stumbled across it.

I'm 42 (as of yesterday, yikes), a stay at home mom of 2 boys. I did a danskin sprint tri in 2008?, I think. A friend talked me into it, even though I was on a running hiatus (after having my second baby), didn't really bike much, and didn't swim at all. Basically did it with no training and the results were what you'd expect. Panic on the swim portion big time - a danskin angel gave me a noodle and talked me into finishing the swim. Went on to complete the bike and run. If not for the angel helping me, I would never have even considered attempting another tri.

So, 3 years later, my youngest is in preschool which has freed up my time. I'm attempting to redeem myself the end of April - I'm doing an irongirl sprint tri in Vegas the end of April. I began taking swimming lesson in September. I meet with my instructor once a week. I love her. I've gone from not being able to put my face into the water to being able to swim front crawl and even completed 300 yds straight last week.

My frustration comes from the endurance. I keep hoping to experience this breakthrough I'm reading about with other people - couldn't do 100 yds, and then all of a sudden did 700 and 1000. I don't know if my block is mental or physical, but it's frustrating.

I'm going to try jumping into the learn to swim program, maybe around month 3? Right now I'm doing between 800 and 1250 yards at the pool so I don't want to start right at the beginning.

Also, a quick question about breathing - I breathe every right stroke. I don't want to do bilateral breathing right now, just focus on getting in the distance. However, I don't exhale continuously under the water, I inhale on the right, stroke with my left, and as my rt arm starts coming down exhale under water with a small exhalation as I first clear the water, then inhale again. I'm wondering if this is hindering my endurance, but trying to exhale continuously under water makes me panic.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

eta: I lied. I'm going to start at the first month now that I've looked a little closer at the program.

Edited by kwynnc 2011-02-08 2:51 PM
2011-02-13 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3345391

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kwynnc - 2011-02-08 1:41 PM Hi there, I just found this forum and am really happy to have stumbled across it. I'm 42 (as of yesterday, yikes), a stay at home mom of 2 boys. I did a danskin sprint tri in 2008?, I think. A friend talked me into it, even though I was on a running hiatus (after having my second baby), didn't really bike much, and didn't swim at all. Basically did it with no training and the results were what you'd expect. Panic on the swim portion big time - a danskin angel gave me a noodle and talked me into finishing the swim. Went on to complete the bike and run. If not for the angel helping me, I would never have even considered attempting another tri. So, 3 years later, my youngest is in preschool which has freed up my time. I'm attempting to redeem myself the end of April - I'm doing an irongirl sprint tri in Vegas the end of April. I began taking swimming lesson in September. I meet with my instructor once a week. I love her. I've gone from not being able to put my face into the water to being able to swim front crawl and even completed 300 yds straight last week. My frustration comes from the endurance. I keep hoping to experience this breakthrough I'm reading about with other people - couldn't do 100 yds, and then all of a sudden did 700 and 1000. I don't know if my block is mental or physical, but it's frustrating. I'm going to try jumping into the learn to swim program, maybe around month 3? Right now I'm doing between 800 and 1250 yards at the pool so I don't want to start right at the beginning. Also, a quick question about breathing - I breathe every right stroke. I don't want to do bilateral breathing right now, just focus on getting in the distance. However, I don't exhale continuously under the water, I inhale on the right, stroke with my left, and as my rt arm starts coming down exhale under water with a small exhalation as I first clear the water, then inhale again. I'm wondering if this is hindering my endurance, but trying to exhale continuously under water makes me panic. Any insights appreciated. Thanks. eta: I lied. I'm going to start at the first month now that I've looked a little closer at the program.

Thank you for joining us and for the great introduction. I hope you realize that the Irongirl triathlon is going to be 10x easier for you than Danskin. You are TRAINING this time and learning and gaining confidence. Doing a triathlon with no swim experience, getting through that swim, and finishing was a HUGE HUGE HUGE physical and MENTAL accomplishment.
I cannot say with any certainty what is going on with you in the pool, but I do sense that some of it is mental. You are doing everything right - swim instructor, dedicated practice, etc. I want you to feel more confident and have more faith in yourself. It's ok and totally normal to have issues with breathing. It happens to SO many of us. However, I think a lot of people are more capable than they think. The fear that comes from being in the water makes everything so much more difficult.
If you want to practice breathing and exhaling for longer, you could try using a kickboard or noodle and just kicking across the pool while focusing only on breathing.
I think it's good that you are starting from the beginning of the plan. It will help with your confidence, I think. Let us know how it is working out for you, please!

2011-02-20 2:01 AM

I just start working out again after not working out at all for a year due to a injury.

My gym happen to have a triathlon club, so I decided I'd join it.

Since I used to live in a very hilly area and would bike about 30 to 40 miles a day on my mountain bike, I am very confident with bike riding.

I used to do a couple activities that require me to run a lot or jogs a lot to stay in shape. However I really need to get back on track as I cannot even run a mile in 8 mins which was embarrassing! I used to be able to run a mile under 7 min.

As for swimming... I have never really had a formal swimming lesson until just four days ago. Before then I'd just swim breaststroke and mimic sidestroke as it was very similar to breast stroke or dog paddle.

However four days ago I got some help from a experienced swimmer. Now I can do front crawl. I've been doing about 10 laps in a 25 meter lap pool two times during weekday and once on Saturday. I've learned that I really enjoy swimming and cannot get enough of it. 
But I'm very concerned because I cannot even swim anything beyond 50 meter without stopping for rest.

This is quite embarrassing. Are there any way to improve my stamina for swimming? Will my time drop? Will I eventually be able to swim 1000 meters without stopping?

I really want to be able to compete in iron man sometime this year if possible.

Is it even possible or... Should I wait a couple years?

2011-02-21 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3363663

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
White Mongoose - 2011-02-20 2:01 AM

I just start working out again after not working out at all for a year due to a injury.

My gym happen to have a triathlon club, so I decided I'd join it.

Since I used to live in a very hilly area and would bike about 30 to 40 miles a day on my mountain bike, I am very confident with bike riding.

I used to do a couple activities that require me to run a lot or jogs a lot to stay in shape. However I really need to get back on track as I cannot even run a mile in 8 mins which was embarrassing! I used to be able to run a mile under 7 min.

As for swimming... I have never really had a formal swimming lesson until just four days ago. Before then I'd just swim breaststroke and mimic sidestroke as it was very similar to breast stroke or dog paddle.

However four days ago I got some help from a experienced swimmer. Now I can do front crawl. I've been doing about 10 laps in a 25 meter lap pool two times during weekday and once on Saturday. I've learned that I really enjoy swimming and cannot get enough of it. 
But I'm very concerned because I cannot even swim anything beyond 50 meter without stopping for rest.

This is quite embarrassing. Are there any way to improve my stamina for swimming? Will my time drop? Will I eventually be able to swim 1000 meters without stopping?

I really want to be able to compete in iron man sometime this year if possible.

Is it even possible or... Should I wait a couple years?

Welcome to BT! Most new triathletes are just like you in that they have some experience with biking and running but are new to swimming. Yes, you will get better! If you are very athletic, it can be very humbling and frustrating to try a sport that you aren't very good at and that you can't fake your way through with your existing fitness level. Being in great cycling or running shape won't make you have great swim endurance. Only time in the pool can do that. Are you following the Learn to Swim training plan? If so, the very best advice I can give you is to SLOW DOWN in the pool so that you can learn correct balance, form, and breathing before trying to go really fast. Most new swimmers can only stay afloat by kicking furiously and getting across the pool as fast as possible. I have posted a couple of links to great swimming threads here on BT further on on this thread. Go read them and work on your breathing in the pool, and take some lessons if you can.
Ironman races will always be available for you to try, but I really encourage you to enjoy triathlon as a hobby and take your time working up in distance over the course of a couple of years rather than trying to do an IM this year and then never doing another triathlon again.

2011-02-22 12:41 AM

THANKS!!! Today I managed to make it to 100 meter without stopping and was gonna try go for 150 or even 200! But the pool was closed by then But tomorrow I'm gonna try for 200! Last week I was really struggling to finish 50!

I was using buoy pull yesterday and today to practice my stroke. So that probably have helped me manage to swim 100 meter without stopping today.

I take some advices I've seen on here. I just focus on technique and try to not go fast and... it really helped!

Yes It is very frustrating to think about all possibilities, especially with swimming. But I am already really humbled by simply looking all others who have done triathlon. But I am really worried about what may be in the future for me.

I used to want to do half triathlon first, but now I am really thinking about doing sprint first two or three times then see how it go before I try for half.

2011-02-22 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3366281

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
White Mongoose - 2011-02-22 12:41 AM

THANKS!!! Today I managed to make it to 100 meter without stopping and was gonna try go for 150 or even 200! But the pool was closed by then But tomorrow I'm gonna try for 200! Last week I was really struggling to finish 50!

I was using buoy pull yesterday and today to practice my stroke. So that probably have helped me manage to swim 100 meter without stopping today.

I take some advices I've seen on here. I just focus on technique and try to not go fast and... it really helped!

Yes It is very frustrating to think about all possibilities, especially with swimming. But I am already really humbled by simply looking all others who have done triathlon. But I am really worried about what may be in the future for me.

I used to want to do half triathlon first, but now I am really thinking about doing sprint first two or three times then see how it go before I try for half.

I would love to see you do a few sprints first. Enjoy the journey and every step along the way!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16