BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-01-11 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3256537

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
Morning all - I have a 12 miler on tap as soon as I get the kids to school.

Sheila - That was a tough course!  You will be surprised how much faster you run when you are not going uphill

Mel - Good to hear from you.  Sounds like a good plan, consistency is the key.  

I have had discussions in the past about the use of "only" in front of a Sprint or 5k (though never in front of a 10k ).  Sprints are HARD.  You redline the entire time and can suffer running them.  5K's are absolutely miserable and are tough to maintain pace.  A race is a race and they ALL have there challenges.  Never take away from the effort you put forth to race - congrats on the 10k.  

Hope everyone has a great day. 

2011-01-11 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
For the long workouts, do you have a recovery routine?  Mine includes chocolate milk, stretching and an ice bath.  The ice bath is tough at first but I crave them now and I believe they really help in recovery.  
2011-01-11 3:52 PM

I don't have a worst leg for a tri having not done any yet! I am gonna guess at the swim being my worst as I have done a few duathlons and enjoyed both legs. I really need to work the swim technique but there are no clubs round here as far as I know. You think it would be worth getting a few private lessons?

Glad to hear you are all gettting signed up for races.

Great job on the half marathons!

PS David are you having any trouble with these crazy floods?

Edited by eejit 2011-01-11 3:54 PM
2011-01-11 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3292997

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
cbarnes1 - 2011-01-11 3:29 PM For the long workouts, do you have a recovery routine?  Mine includes chocolate milk, stretching and an ice bath.  The ice bath is tough at first but I crave them now and I believe they really help in recovery.  

Last season I tried several post workout routines. Chocolate milk and a Clif Bar is a favorite. Hammer Nutrition's Recoverite was also one that I had pretty good success with. I felt that the Recoverite allowed me to go hard on back to back days. I tried ice baths a few times, but have to admit I'm a wuss. (And, yes, I do make my athletes at the high school use ice baths on a regular basis.
2011-01-12 12:01 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
I love my chocolate milk after a long workout - or any workout!

I also like greek yoghurt with nuts and honey... yum

Eejit - we've been lucky with the floods so far, had to drive home through flood water yesterday but seems to have improved today. We've had a lots of rain, over 300mm in a day some days, so ocean swimming is a bit of a risk, water murky and brown. There's been warnings to avoid swimming near river mouths due to the Bull Sharks.
I did a rock jump on my surf board last weekend and a small shark popped up just in front of me! I didn't see it again so must have scared it off.

As for ice baths, I haven't been brave enough to try them yet! 
2011-01-12 1:14 AM

User image

New user

My recovery drink was introduced to me from an old running buddy. Costco's chocolate meal replacement shakes. Cheap and tasty. 3 to 1 - Carbs to Protein. 

Chet - I am in Vegas next week if you can run on Wed or Thurs let me know. You will have to be gentle on me. 

2011-01-12 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Ice do wonders after a good stretch.  What I do is dump a bag of ice in a cold bath and it puts it about right.  15-20 minute soak.  It isn't bad after the first 30 seconds or so.

Robert - I have a small window on Wednesday that should work.  I am leaving after my run for Utah for the week.  Where are you staying and what time would be good on Wednesday morning?  I will find us a route based on that.  I look forward to meeting and running with you!

I have a 5 mile dreadmill run today at work when I can fit it in. 
2011-01-12 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Too close to page 2!
2011-01-12 7:05 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
good save Chris!

So you may come across some humiliating moments as yo get more into triathlon training.  Some you can expect are: 1)always smelling like clorine 2) water coming out of your nose for no particular reason 3) Spandex, enough said. and 4)  falling over at an intersection unable to unclip from your pedals.  I have been there... but i will still laugh when it happens to you.

My most embarrassing moment involved swimming at the gym pool.  I wear jammers when I swim and was doing a regular 3 times a week 4000 m swim.  I apparently had been wearing these jammers way too long because when I was putting them in my bag I noticed I could clearly see my hand through the fabric.  No one ever bothered to tell me I was showing my to everyone.

Anyone top that one? 
2011-01-12 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi guys,
Sorry I have slipped off the radar.
I'm going to remove myself from the group - sorry!
I have been swallowed up by my martial arts training and it looks as though I am opening a full-time centre off the bat (as opposed to renting floor space) so any tri training will now take a back seat.
I wish you all well with your training and the goals you have set yourselves.
Thanks for having me up till now
Michelle 
2011-01-12 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Don't make it so formal Michelle! Stop by if you can, you are always welcome. Good luck with your martial arts.

2011-01-12 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3295962

User image

Expert
Noosa
mmh - 2011-01-13 10:30 AM Hi guys,
Sorry I have slipped off the radar.
I'm going to remove myself from the group - sorry!
I have been swallowed up by my martial arts training and it looks as though I am opening a full-time centre off the bat (as opposed to renting floor space) so any tri training will now take a back seat.
I wish you all well with your training and the goals you have set yourselves.
Thanks for having me up till now
Michelle 

Don't leave Michelle!
I'd be interested to hear what your up to and get advice on strength training, nutrition etc even if you only have time to post occasionally; are you going to do any mini/sprint tri's this year?
Cheers, DaveCry 
2011-01-12 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK guys I'll drop in but I just won't log my workouts.
I just went and viewed a premises and looks like it is mine when it comes up in a few weeks - scary but so exciting too! 
2011-01-13 1:06 AM

User image

Amsterdam
Hey everyone...   here's a short update:

It snowed last night in Vancouver -- so I went for a nice short (~35 mins) run through the wet slush.  I also registered today for two more 10 km races.   So my racing schedule now looks like:

Feb - Phanos Boscross (10km - Amsterdam)
Mar - Louis Vinkloop (10km - Amsterdam)
Apr - Sun Run (10km - Vancouver)

I also found a great book in the Vancouver Public Library, called 'The Grace to Race' -- it's about the 81 year old "Iron Nun", Sister Madonna Buder, who's done 340 triathlons including 36 Ironmans.   It's real inspirational stuff if you can find the book..   much recommended!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Buder

I also finally replaced my broken Forerunner 305 (doesn't pick up satellites anymore -- I was missing it sorely) with a new Forerunner 310XT.   I can't wait to take it for a spin!    :-)

Finally, just for fun, I've been volunteering at a local bicycle co-op (Our Community Bikes) this past week.  I stripped 2 bicycles down to their component parts -- it's been a really great introduction to how bikes work!   I'll be going again tomorrow, for more mechanical fun..

I hope that training is going well with all of you guys..

Mel
2011-01-13 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Mel - You will LOVE the 310xt!  It is the best one I have owned.  I have followed Sister Madonna for a few years.  She truly is an inspiration.  She has crashed and jacked herself up a couple times too and was still able to recover and race, talk about hard core.  I haven't read the book though, thanks for the heads up.

12 miles on tap today, missed my 5 mile yesterday because of a highrise drill.  I didn't even get to climb stairs, ugh.  Friday is available to make it up.  

Anybody racing this week?   
2011-01-13 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
So is everyone getting settled into a routine?  My best schedule for working out was when i was working 4 days a week, 10 hours a day.  It went like this:

morning swim Tuesday - Thursday

lunch run or quick spin Tuesday - Thursday

Long bike day Friday while kids were in school

Saturday and Sunday were bricks around kids schedule

Monday - Rest day

This was my Ironman Plan.  I had logistics worked out so it became just part of my day.  This helped with balancing family life because when I got home from work, my only focus was them.  On weekends I made it a point to do something together and sneak in my workout

My wife was very supportive but it was probably toughest on her.  We got it done though and we are closer because of it.  She is collecting now though on some of those long days for her marathon

2011-01-13 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Took an extra recovery day yesterday, I think my "easy" 2 hour run Monday was a little more than I was ready for.  Oh well, it felt good while I was running.  Tonight will be a Spinervals workout.  After sitting outside for 2+ hours at a girls soccer game, I'm don't think I'll want to go running, its 40 degrees and WINDY.  
2011-01-13 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Chris - I find a good spin helps loosen the legs after a hard run.  You could run up and down the field with your daughter  When did we lose that energy?

I meant to add that with my Ironman Plan I was at about 18 hours a week at the peak.  That will be significantly less on most plans but I wanted to show how it could be broken down into a schedule.  It is whatever works for you. 
2011-01-13 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3298434

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
cbarnes1 - 2011-01-13 8:31 PM   You could run up and down the field with your daughter   

I wish I was watching my kids play soccer. As the Athletic Trainer at a high school, I have to attend ALL home sporting events in case someone is injured.  I love my job, but it does keep me at school late. This week and last week were the worst so far, as of this Saturday, I will have had a home event on 13 of the last 14 days. 

On a positive note, I did get in a good workout tonight.  Converting our home office into a home gym was a great move.

2011-01-13 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
cbarnes1 - 2011-01-11 12:29 PM For the long workouts, do you have a recovery routine?  Mine includes chocolate milk, stretching and an ice bath.  The ice bath is tough at first but I crave them now and I believe they really help in recovery.  

I don't drink milk, any similar suggestions for recovery here. I don't really have a recovery routine. How important is this?

Ice bath. Heard of it. What's does it do? How does it benefit the athlete?
2011-01-13 11:40 PM
in reply to: #3298434

User image

Veteran
cbarnes1 - 2011-01-13 5:31 PM Chris - I find a good spin helps loosen the legs after a hard run.  You could run up and down the field with your daughter  When did we lose that energy?

I meant to add that with my Ironman Plan I was at about 18 hours a week at the peak.  That will be significantly less on most plans but I wanted to show how it could be broken down into a schedule.  It is whatever works for you. 

Chris what the HTFU is Spinervals? WHat is so great about it? I hear a lot of tri b's using this product, but what's the deal?

2011-01-14 12:53 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Did a steady 5k run last night but the HRM kept alarming due to my high rate; I felt ok and was not puffing but it was very humid and quite hot (28deg celsius) so I was sweating buckets.
To get my rate down to the desired level I'd have had to walk!

Any suggestions, should I accept a higher HR due to the heat/humidity or just run much more slowly/take walk breaks???

Read something about drinking 7Eleven slushies before running in the heat, might try that! 
2011-01-14 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Jeff- You should refuel within 30 minutes of a workout.  The amount depends on how hard the workout is but should include protein.  What it does is helps you on your next workout.  You will notice the difference when you are working out every day.  A sandwich will do the same thing but try different things to see what works for you.

David - We have 2 months here in Vegas where it doesn't get below 90 degrees.  The bottom line with the heat is that you have to hydrate more and slow down.  I have even seen formulas for every 5 degrees over 70 how your pace will fall.  I don't recommend the slushie though.  It has twice the sugar content as soda and way too many calories.  50/50 Gatorade and water would be much better. 

Chris- Maybe you could set up the trainier at the events?  Just pedal until someone needs your help.
2011-01-14 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3298762

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
StrayDog - 2011-01-14 12:40 AM
cbarnes1 - 2011-01-13 5:31 PM Chris - I find a good spin helps loosen the legs after a hard run.  You could run up and down the field with your daughter  When did we lose that energy?

Chris what the HTFU is Spinervals? WHat is so great about it? I hear a lot of tri b's using this product, but what's the deal?

Its a DVD series of bike workouts.  One came with the indoor trainer I got for Christmas and I liked it, so I picked up another.  I use it right now as a substitute for hill workouts in my Half Mary training program.  The intervals will tear you up, I hadn't felt my legs burn that much since the end of my first tri of the season.
2011-01-14 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3299205

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
cbarnes1 - 2011-01-14 10:17 AM Chris- Maybe you could set up the trainier at the events?  Just pedal until someone needs your help.

This is great, but I don't think the high schoolers would appreciate the spandex! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28