BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-01-18 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3305141

User image

New user

Portland, OR
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES
Yeah I'll have a wetsuit for any open water swims I do later in the summer, the first is in the pool so no wetsuit needed, and I'm not worried about drowning in 4 ft. of water

2011-01-19 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3257098

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Ok, I am alive still!  Not up to 100% yet, but hopefully will be over this crud by tomorrow.  Any of you in need of a wetsuit, Xterra is having their typical sale going on now.  50% off w/ free shipping.  This can get you a full suit for ~$150.  I bought a Vortex 3 last year and its decent for the money. Coupon code NEWYEAR.  Expires Jan 28.

www.xterrawetsuits.com
2011-01-19 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3305024

User image

New user
brick94513 - 2011-01-17 4:52 PM
rachel5576 - 2011-01-16 12:26 PM

My race yesterday went great! My goal was to get it done in under an hour. I came in 18th place overall with a time of 36:40!!!! 

WOW!  Awesome work girl!  What a great way to start off the season.

Do you have your own snow shoes or did you rent for the race?  What type of snow shoes were you using?  Just curious.  Like I said before, I would really like to give this a shot.  I was hoping to try some cross country skiing too this year.  Just what I need, more toys.  Surprised

Thanks! I actually bought a pair and the race was the first time i used them. I got a really inexpensive pair of yukon charlies 8x21. I think they were about 80 bucks compared to the pair i wanted to get initially northern lites elite racers are over $200.  I thought the pair i got worked great. when looking for a snowshoe for running you want to find something light and short, but long enough to support your weight. You should try it! Its a great great workout and fun too.
I've been wanting to go cross country sking too. one of these days I'll get around to it.

jay sorry you weren't feeling well hope you are on the mend now.

Ok i have a question for you all. How do you keep track of your laps in the pool?
2011-01-19 11:38 PM
in reply to: #3310214

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
rachel5576 - 2011-01-19 8:09 PM jay sorry you weren't feeling well hope you are on the mend now.

Ok i have a question for you all. How do you keep track of your laps in the pool?

I am, I actually ate today Laughing.  I still struggle w/ this and haven't found a real good solution yet.  I've seen a few threads where people have asked this and someone said to use coins and move them from one pile to another to count the laps.  That seemed like it might work if I was stopping after every 100, but I don't want to stop every lap if I'm just swimming 1k straight or something.  There are relatively inexpensive lap counters that you wear on your finger and just click the button at each lap, or you could blow a ton of cash on a swimovate pro that has a built in whizbang-something-or-other that will count laps, strokes and all kinds of crazy stuff. 

Few examples of the different options here: http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=lap+counter&checkRealSearchInput=Y

Edited by shmeeg 2011-01-19 11:40 PM
2011-01-20 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3308737

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2011-01-19 10:36 AM

Ok, I am alive still!  Not up to 100% yet, but hopefully will be over this crud by tomorrow.  Any of you in need of a wetsuit, Xterra is having their typical sale going on now.  50% off w/ free shipping.  This can get you a full suit for ~$150.  I bought a Vortex 3 last year and its decent for the money. Coupon code NEWYEAR.  Expires Jan 28.

www.xterrawetsuits.com

thanks Jay! I gotta get one for the wife. She's getting started for the year. She took an FTP test yesterday and started computrainer courses.

hope you feel better
2011-01-20 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3310301

User image

shmeeg - 2011-01-19 11:38 PM
rachel5576 - 2011-01-19 8:09 PM jay sorry you weren't feeling well hope you are on the mend now.

I am, I actually ate today Laughing.  I still struggle w/ this and haven't found a real good solution yet.  I've seen a few threads where people have asked this and someone said to use coins and move them from one pile to another to count the laps.  That seemed like it might work if I was stopping after every 100, but I don't want to stop every lap if I'm just swimming 1k straight or something.  There are relatively inexpensive lap counters that you wear on your finger and just click the button at each lap, or you could blow a ton of cash on a swimovate pro that has a built in whizbang-something-or-other that will count laps, strokes and all kinds of crazy stuff. 

Few examples of the different options here: http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=lap+counter&checkRealSearchInput=Y

Jay, Glad to hear you're up and about again. Thanks for the tip on the wetsuit sale. I hadn't thought much about what I'd need before looking over the specs of the different suits.  Now I have questions :-)  I'm likely to go sleeveless for freedom of movement.  I'm assuming my arms aren't going to get that cold with the balance of my body covered?  Also, do you have experience with both the medium and high buoyancy suits, e.g., how big a difference between them is there in 'float levels'?  Do you know if it's possible to try out these suits before purchasing? Thanks in advance for whatever info you can provide. 

Rachel, I find that counting in terms of 5,10,15,20,... (e.g., for 50,100,150,200,....) for down/back as one lap in a 25 yard/meter pool easier than counting 1,2,3,..... which is too much math when I'm concentrating on my swim.  Also, on longer intervals I break down the count into smaller increments.  For example, on an 800 I count 2x400 and on 1000 count 2x500, and so on.  Another option is to time yourself on a 100 at your 'cruise' speed, which is the speed at which you could 'go all day', then just get in and go for an hour and divide out your time to get approximate distance.  Seems to me that's just as effective when you're starting out and need to focus on the stroke and not worry about being super exact about how far you've gone.  Hope this helps and I hope you learn to love swimming!

2011-01-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3310214

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
rachel5576 - 2011-01-19 8:09 PM

Counting seems to get easier the more you swim.  I don't seem to struggle nearly as much anymore keeping track of laps in my head.  However, when swimming larger sets, it can still get confusing.  I've found that breaking these distances into blocks of 100 makes it easier to count and alleviates some of the monotony.  So, for example, if I want to swim a 1000, I still swim continuous, but Iwill sight breath on the last leg of each 100.  This allows me to count to 10 instead of 40 (if swimming short course).

Edited by brick94513 2011-01-20 8:25 AM
2011-01-20 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3310523

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
swomen1 - 2011-01-20 5:43 AM 

Also, do you have experience with both the medium and high buoyancy suits, e.g., how big a difference between them is there in 'float levels'?  Do you know if it's possible to try out these suits before purchasing? Thanks in advance for whatever info you can provide. 

I have both a Blueseventy sleveless suit and a 2X1 V:1 full suit.  While the sleveless is a basic suit without panels, the 2XU has a 5mm flotation panel and 1mm panels in the armpits and behind the knees.  In terms of bouyancy of speed, the 2XU is superior and much a faster suit for me.  On the down side, the thiner neoprene can be really delicate.  You need to be very diligent in donning and doffing the suit or you will put holes or tears in the suit.  In addition, there is a pretty big cost difference for these suits.

As for retnals, I'm not sure.  If you are unsure on size, I know you can try them on in the shop. 
2011-01-20 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3310669

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-20 6:42 AM

Also, do you have experience with both the medium and high buoyancy suits, e.g., how big a difference between them is there in 'float levels'?  Do you know if it's possible to try out these suits before purchasing? Thanks in advance for whatever info you can provide. 

I have both a Blueseventy sleveless suit and a 2X1 V:1 full suit.  While the sleveless is a basic suit without panels, the 2XU has a 5mm flotation panel and 1mm panels in the armpits and behind the knees.  In terms of bouyancy of speed, the 2XU is superior and much a faster suit for me.  On the down side, the thiner neoprene can be really delicate.  You need to be very diligent in donning and doffing the suit or you will put holes or tears in the suit.  In addition, there is a pretty big cost difference for these suits.

As for retnals, I'm not sure.  If you are unsure on size, I know you can try them on in the shop. 

x2 on trying some on if you have a tri shop anywhere close.  I used the Xterra fit calc and it worked well, then picked up a sleeveless ProMotion suit off the classifieds here after checking the size online, but it's always best to try before you buy if possible.  I was able to go to the DeSoto warehouse and try on my newest suit recently and I'm glad I did because I would have gotten the wrong size top if I had just ordered online using size charts.  AFA sleeveless/fullsuit, it's mostly a personal preference.  I have raced in both and really enjoyed the freedom of movement racing in the sleeveless suit, but the water was warm so that wasn't an issue.  I wear the full suit for anything below 70, but you may be acclimated to colder water and could go sleeveless.
2011-01-20 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Ok team, let's see who's done their homework Wink. I've been down hard for 2 days, lost 6 lbs and haven't done any sort of workout since my long ride Sunday.  Who knows how to get back into training after a short layoff like this due to sickness/injury?

QOTD:  How should you approach a return to training after a short layoff due to sickness?

How's everyone's training going? Any good workouts today?
2011-01-20 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3300270

User image

Woodbridge
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN AGAIN!
thats just wrong in refrence to the warm pic. and needing sunblock shmeeg...
sorry I've been gone guys- intresting reads! I've just started all of my spring classes at school, and now have my training schedule set! yaya got 5.3 mi today on my bike-first time in a few weeks outside of neighborhood due to freezing weather her in the dc area-and more on the way cali looks really good right now! also had my first fall today!! lol!! lady didn't completly stop at a light, i had the crossing, and she completly didn't see-luckily my bike wasn't messed up! I do have a few boo boos as my kiddos say- but more of, omg- can't believe I feel off my bike-in the middle of the road! not like I'm a small girl -my bike is eygpitan blue-not invisble-but love it! Def. getting new seat and have shorts on the way!!! With the weather though, I will be inside for the next few weeks....if I fall of there...well then we know its me Now that I'm all jelloy I"m off to make dinner for kiddos

congrats rachel-i know what kind of workout that was!!!!! so happy for you!!!!

hope you do beter shmeeg-weekends are my family and house time. I rest those days-weather permits-we check out new hiking/walking trails with dog and kiddos(shmeeg sounds like you guys just had a new kiddo )
I do cardio/running mon, bike tues, swim wed., run thur., bike/swim frid-depending on weather and which i'm struggling more in. this is what i've mapped out for the semester, and might switch it up as far as what days I do what. any pointers would be welcomed

Edited by LAH 2011-01-20 4:43 PM

2011-01-20 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3312008

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
LAH - 2011-01-20 2:17 PM thats just wrong in refrence to the warm pic. and needing sunblock shmeeg...
sorry I've been gone guys- intresting reads! I've just started all of my spring classes at school, and now have my training schedule set! yaya got 5.3 mi today on my bike-first time in a few weeks outside of neighborhood due to freezing weather her in the dc area-and more on the way cali looks really good right now! also had my first fall today!! lol!! lady didn't completly stop at a light, i had the crossing, and she completly didn't see-luckily my bike wasn't messed up! I do have a few boo boos as my kiddos say- but more of, omg- can't believe I feel off my bike-in the middle of the road! not like I'm a small girl -my bike is eygpitan blue-not invisble-but love it! Def. getting new seat and have shorts on the way!!! With the weather though, I will be inside for the next few weeks....if I fall of there...well then we know its me Now that I'm all jelloy I"m off to make dinner for kiddos

congrats rachel-i know what kind of workout that was!!!!! so happy for you!!!!

hope you do beter shmeeg-weekends are my family and house time. I rest those days-weather permits-we check out new hiking/walking trails with dog and kiddos(shmeeg sounds like you guys just had a new kiddo )
I do cardio/running mon, bike tues, swim wed., run thur., bike/swim frid-depending on weather and which i'm struggling more in. this is what i've mapped out for the semester, and might switch it up as far as what days I do what. any pointers would be welcomed

Hey at least you got it out of the way already.  It IS definitely embarrassing when you fall, usually more damaging to the ego than equipment luckily.  I'm unclear on what you wrote above, did you actually get hit by a car??? I hope everything is ok if you did.  I typically have a near-miss or two on my weekend rides at some busy intersections or when trying to get into the left turn lane (can be scary in traffic!), I've learned to always assume that drivers don't see me and be thinking about an 'exit strategy' if it looks like I'm going over somebody's hood.

I have another fitting Saturday so I definitely am going to ride Sunday, might do an easy swim/run tomorrow.  The correct answer is to reduce training volume when coming back off an injury/illness and not just jump right back where your training schedule left off.  This often leads to further injury.

Looks like you have R/B/S/R/BS.  Are you just winging the workouts or do you have a plan you're following for each day?  You have at least one day of separation in each discipline so you should be fully recovered before the next day in each sport.  The biggest tip I can give you is to just not sweat missing a workout every once in awhile.  Don't marry your training.  Setbacks happen, meetings run long, the kids get sick, etc.  Life gets in the way, don't let it ruin your day.
2011-01-20 7:00 PM

User image

New user
Thanks for all the tips on keeping track of laps! Glad to know i'm not the only one who struggles with this.

Leslie sorry to hear about your fall, that's one thing i never thought of ugh. Hope your boo boos are all better soon

Jay great tip on not marrying your training thanks!
2011-01-20 9:26 PM

User image

Woodbridge
Shmeeg,
Didn't actually get hit-I began crossing when car pulled out in front-turning right. I had light, they were to stop, but busy yacking on the phone. I was a little shaken, but laughed it off- seeing as I haadn't fallen off a bike since I was well, let's say awhile ago! I lost my balance trying not to stop on her hood-she just, close, but not actually hit. It was good workout though and felt like jello aftwards, but it was a good feeling. But who's to say I haven't done the same-just weird being on the recieving end mindless driving. Will def. be taking more steps to watch closer.
To training, I do have specific things I work on-I had a great trainer before I moved, so I try to stick with what was outlined, but focus now mainly on the tri sports when in the gy,- I have access to the spin bikes when there's no class- so that's really nice! Great thing about college is I can go during the day when alot of people are not there or the old people don't m ind sharing a lane with yah-but man they can whoop a**! I am glad to be back on a schedule! But yah I try to get a break inbetween and I've never jumped back into training after an injuy-had several sports related injuries in high school years ago. Being over weight, I listen to everything my body says and am careful, cannot afford set backs. Lost about 3.5 lbs so far, now that I'm on schedule, I'm really excited to see how my training goes! James(hubby) and I went over our schedules with a fine tooth comb today and we both worked workout schedules-so happy he is working out too! Yaya!
2011-01-20 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3312539

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
LAH - 2011-01-20 7:26 PM Shmeeg,
Didn't actually get hit-I began crossing when car pulled out in front-turning right. I had light, they were to stop, but busy yacking on the phone. I was a little shaken, but laughed it off- seeing as I haadn't fallen off a bike since I was well, let's say awhile ago! I lost my balance trying not to stop on her hood-she just, close, but not actually hit. It was good workout though and felt like jello aftwards, but it was a good feeling. But who's to say I haven't done the same-just weird being on the recieving end mindless driving. Will def. be taking more steps to watch closer.
To training, I do have specific things I work on-I had a great trainer before I moved, so I try to stick with what was outlined, but focus now mainly on the tri sports when in the gy,- I have access to the spin bikes when there's no class- so that's really nice! Great thing about college is I can go during the day when alot of people are not there or the old people don't m ind sharing a lane with yah-but man they can whoop a**! I am glad to be back on a schedule! But yah I try to get a break inbetween and I've never jumped back into training after an injuy-had several sports related injuries in high school years ago. Being over weight, I listen to everything my body says and am careful, cannot afford set backs. Lost about 3.5 lbs so far, now that I'm on schedule, I'm really excited to see how my training goes! James(hubby) and I went over our schedules with a fine tooth comb today and we both worked workout schedules-so happy he is working out too! Yaya!

Ok, that's good to hear you didn't get hit!  Very scary just the same though.  That's good that your husband trains too, a little friendly competetion always adds some extra motivation!
2011-01-20 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3312144

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2011-01-20 3:26 PM

The biggest tip I can give you is to just not sweat missing a workout every once in awhile.  Don't marry your training.  Setbacks happen, meetings run long, the kids get sick, etc.  Life gets in the way, don't let it ruin your day.

This is good pearl of wisdom!

Definately listen to your body and don't be afraid to shuffle your schedule to accomandate how you feel.  In the grand scheme, its not going to matter if you have to postpone a certain workout.  Actually, you will be doing yourself a great service.  One of my favorite substitutions is hiking.  Just this week, I ditched a short recovery run for a nice hike with my wife and dog.

2011-01-20 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3311749

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2011-01-20 12:31 PM
QOTD:  How should you approach a return to training after a short layoff due to sickness?

I find it easiest to work back into my routine with a low exertion (zone 2 to zone 3 HR) cycle of moderate distance.  I find this much easier than trying to run or swim after being sick.

But, yes, after an illness like you experienced, a fall back week is definately in order!  You better get healthy quick though.  You don't want my scruny butt dragging you through the desert next month! Surprised

Edited by brick94513 2011-01-20 10:30 PM
2011-01-20 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3310523

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Do you know if it's possible to try out these suits before purchasing? Thanks in advance for whatever info you can provide. 

Hmm... Your question got me thinking.  I ended up on Ebay and noticed some suits for sale that were previous demos.  So, I figured there must be companies out there demoing suits.  Quick search on the Internet and I found this from OneTri:

http://www.onetri.com/wetsuit-rentals-c-68.html

Good luck!
2011-01-21 8:37 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
It's not a bad idea to rent a suit for your first tri. Go to a big venue where they have an expo and you can go try on some stuff there. I was really impressed with the vendor booths at the chicago tri last year. It was really a good place to see and try things that you don't always get to see in stores.
2011-01-21 9:46 AM

User image

Thank you everyone for your suggestions re: wetsuits.  I found an online source whose physical location is right here in Bangor and they say I can come in and try suits -- yay!  If interested, their web link is: http://www.triathletesports.com/ .  Thanks again! 
2011-01-21 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3312607

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-20 8:24 PM
shmeeg - 2011-01-20 12:31 PM

I find it easiest to work back into my routine with a low exertion (zone 2 to zone 3 HR) cycle of moderate distance.  I find this much easier than trying to run or swim after being sick.

But, yes, after an illness like you experienced, a fall back week is definately in order!  You better get healthy quick though.  You don't want my scruny butt dragging you through the desert next month! Surprised

Tim, even in my best shape, you would still probably be dragging me along on the ride.  We need to talk logistics, coordination, etc.  My friend Tom, from 29P is going to meet up w/ us for the start, but I have no idea where we will meet him, how many people are going to be there before the century wave starts, etc.  I will probably leave at 4:00 Saturday and drive up, it's about a 2 hr drive for me.  Are you getting a hotel nearby?  Maybe it would be easier if I just met you there then we roll over to the ride start.

What's everyone got on tap for the day?  I ran ~3 miles w/ my platoon this morning, gonna take the new wetsuit for a spin in the pool at lunch.  Homemade pizzas and some hanging out at Barnes and Noble reading my favorite sporting periodicals and triathlon books tonight

2011-01-21 11:06 AM

Regular
Spruce Grove
On tap for today: a long-ish ride on the trainer. Hopefully some strength training too! Yesterday I slacked off Embarassed but I DID manage to change the leaky inner tube on my bike, which was the first time ever doing that for me!

Weekend plans include a long run and another trainer ride. Next week I hope to start getting into the pool, but as a mostly single parent (my husband is awesome but works out of town for weeks at a time) it's hard to get away. The pool has childcare, but my 3yo tends to always have a cold in the winter and is too sick to stay in the childcare.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2011-01-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3313406

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
^^ speaking of pool, just got back!  Man have I lost both speed AND endurance.  I had visions of doing an easy 1k, but after I had to stop at 300m I knew there was no chance.  Resigned myself to doing 100s after that Embarassed.  I think I may have gotten too small of a wetsuit top.  I knew it would feel tighter on dry land than in the water, but the sensation didn't really go away in the water and I felt myself gasping for breath when rotating to breathe.  Probably going to have to exchange it for the next size up.
2011-01-21 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3313378

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2011-01-21 8:58 AM

Are you getting a hotel nearby?  Maybe it would be easier if I just met you there then we roll over to the ride start.

My in-laws live in Beaumont.  So, I plan on just driving out in the morning.  It's about a 40 minute drive.  It might be easiest to meet at a remote location and pedal over to the start.
2011-01-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3314121

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-21 1:43 PM My in-laws live in Beaumont.  So, I plan on just driving out in the morning.  It's about a 40 minute drive.  It might be easiest to meet at a remote location and pedal over to the start.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  Ok, well you have to name the 'remote location' then! Laughing
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21