BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-01-23 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!
Yeah...what about the rest of ya???...you scared??? LOL!

2011-01-24 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I suppose I could go in for this.  I certainly can't get any worse than I am now!  Tongue out
2011-01-24 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3317602

I like the idea of this challenge too. 

I won't be swimming until May, though, because I don't have access to a pool until then.  But that's ok, I'll see what I can do in a month.

And I'm in NH too, so I doubt i'll be biking on the roads before the end of March like Marsha. But I can compare rides on the trainer.  Since that's what I'm using anyway. 

It'll be the first challenge I've ever tried, but I think it would be good incentive to try to get better, instead of just trying to finish. 

The only other thing I was thinking about the "bet" is that since we all come from different areas, maybe we should be betting something from where we live.  Obviously in NH it would be a quart of real mayple syrup (about $12 value).  Just an idea.
2011-01-24 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3317615

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
bunsy - 2011-01-24 9:17 AM I like the idea of this challenge too. 

I won't be swimming until May, though, because I don't have access to a pool until then.  But that's ok, I'll see what I can do in a month.

And I'm in NH too, so I doubt i'll be biking on the roads before the end of March like Marsha. But I can compare rides on the trainer.  Since that's what I'm using anyway. 

It'll be the first challenge I've ever tried, but I think it would be good incentive to try to get better, instead of just trying to finish. 

The only other thing I was thinking about the "bet" is that since we all come from different areas, maybe we should be betting something from where we live.  Obviously in NH it would be a quart of real mayple syrup (about $12 value).  Just an idea.

I don't think the politicians here in DC would be happy if I was using them as a bet.  Then again, I doubt any of you would want one shipped to you...if they would even fit in the box.... :D
2011-01-24 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm in, I'm in!! Just working too dang much to post... what could I send from AZ? I'd bottle up some warm, dry air if I could, but something like prickly pear syrup may have to do!
2011-01-24 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
I'm in for the challenge.  I admit that I don't really understand it.  As long as someone speaks s-l-o-w-ly and tells me what to do when I'm usually OK.  So I look to our fearless leader to tell us what to do when and for how long, OK Hilde?

2011-01-24 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I thought I might send a few private notes, but I think this topic may be good for some of us in the group. 

Swim.....So, I've started and I'm humbled by the swim fitness loss....But, I'm staying positive and I will get much much better.  That being said....you dolpins out there...what kind of drills should I be working on and how much???  I've been playing around with the finger tip dragging thingy and the catch-up - with bilateral breathing....So, I eventually want to see 1500-2000yds a workout but will do with 1000yds here soon...So any suggestions to help a "sunfish" like myself?  We'll talk about the Main Set later....I'm sure I'll need all kinds of help there too.
2011-01-24 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3318081

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Okay, let me get all the facts in MY head and make an official challenge... and I don't know about the rest of you, but I want cold, hard, CA$H!!!  That way we could buy ourselves something tri related (or not...).  I think we need to have proof of HR in each of our time trials.... well except for the pool, we'll just have to take our word that it was a hard, all-out effort.  Marsha, are you okay with someone doing 5 x 100 yd swims and tallying up the total if they can't swim one continuously now?  Maybe give a maximum of 1 or 2 minutes rest between?  If you have a Garmin, you can upload PROOF of your efforts, and HR should show an all-out effort.  And since some of us are dealing with cold weather issues, let's say that the frist time trial can be ANY time now, but final time trials must be done by June 1st?  My idea is the sooner you do the first time trial, the longer you have to improve!!  I will post a more detailed challenge when I get home this evening or maybe even tomorrow, so if you have any more ideas to throw out there, bring 'em!
2011-01-24 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3318082

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
wsilverthorne - 2011-01-24 10:58 AM I thought I might send a few private notes, but I think this topic may be good for some of us in the group. 

Swim.....So, I've started and I'm humbled by the swim fitness loss....But, I'm staying positive and I will get much much better.  That being said....you dolpins out there...what kind of drills should I be working on and how much???  I've been playing around with the finger tip dragging thingy and the catch-up - with bilateral breathing....So, I eventually want to see 1500-2000yds a workout but will do with 1000yds here soon...So any suggestions to help a "sunfish" like myself?  We'll talk about the Main Set later....I'm sure I'll need all kinds of help there too.

Wilson, you can look at any of my swim workouts to get an idea.  Have you checked out http://www.swimplan.com/  ?  For beginning swimmers it is really a nice tool to have.  You register for free (they have a paid plan, but honestly I don't think you need anything more than the free stuff).  You do have to do a couple of time trials because the workouts are customized for you.  You put in how long you want to swim, or total yardage, the strokes you want to use and any toys you might have for drills, ie kickboard, pull buoy, paddles, fins.  You can get 5 plans a day and you can ask to have one easier or more challenging.  The drills are spelled out for you so you know what to do.  I have a whole bunch, come I like more than others, I just recycle them depending what I want to do that swim session.

My basic swim workout is this:
WARM UP (I normally do 400, but you can do whatever, easy pace, just to loosen up the muscles, NOT for speed.  I always to a good upper body stretch after).
TIME TRIAL (I don't do this every workout, maybe once a week or so, just to see how my speed is doing.  I find that after my warm up is when I feel the freshest and speediest!)
DRILLS (kicking, strokes, pulls, etc.  This is where it helps to have someone look at your stroke, because drills are not for time either, it's time to concentrate on form and technique.  Muscle memory so that your form doesn't fall apart as you get faster and more tired).
MAIN SET (intervals baby!  Anything from repeated 25 yards/meters, 50's, 100's, 200's, ladders.  Or long swims, but I don't really do those very often.  Sometimes leading up to a tri, just to remember what it feels like to swim long, non-stop.  Don't worry about pushing off the wall or not, you're in a pool, might as well use it.  Flip turns are optional, fun once you can do them, but not a biggie if you don't)
COOL DOWN (I do 200 always, and swim 25's of free, back, breast, free and repeat.  Nice, slow, relaxed, my favorite part of the workout).

As far as drills, for kicking I like laying on your side, the hand that is below the water is stretched out over your head towards the end of the pool, the other one just rests on your hip or thigh and you kick.  I flip over to the other side in the middle of the 25 yards.  With and without fins... I like fins only because it goes by faster!

For strokes.... one armed swimming is good.  One arm stays over your head, the other strokes.  This works on body rotation AND you get to see where your hand is entering the water, is it going too low in the water, not gliding at all, crossing over the midline of your head?  I normall do 6 strokes right arm, 6 strokes left arm, 6 strokes regular swimming.

I also like pulling with paddles, it's like weight training for swimmers, BUT, you kind of have to build up to it, because you CAN hurt your shoulders...

Uh oh, 3rd graders at the door, gotta go!
2011-01-24 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3318236

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I agree with everything Hilde said about the competition...except the 500yd swim time trial......I think it should be 500 straight...It'd be too hard to compare later on..Since we'll all have to swim at least 500 straight we should end up there or better...So my vote is to wait until you can do the first 500 straight and time it!  Then near June 1st do it again...Last year I worked up to this in about 2 months....and to be honest I started out from scratch...so by june everyone ought to be able to time trial early and before June....sound reasonable....Right now I'd need 45 seconds or so before each 100....so that will be too much rest in june...then it'll be 5 balls to the walls sprints...which would be much faster than a 500 time...at least for me.  So time trail any of the three sports as soon as possible and write it in your blog header...that way we have it all easily documented for the grand finale!!!
2011-01-24 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3318275

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Hilde, thanks for all the good swim advice.  You know I have been watching your log....drooling over your superiority in the water - and thinking about jumping on your back to drown you during a 1:20 / 100yd swim..hahah...  I thought that would be good for the others to see too....so hopefully that'll help more than just me...but then again I am special.  I'm gunna check out that website and play around....I need to get a kick board and some paddles....but the paddles can wait...I don't want to get hurt early on - especially before i meet with a swim coach to figure out why I'm so slow.  I think I have potential I just gotta get some help...I love water and especially love open water...so I just need to find the secret formula.  Maybe it's cocaine and twinkies before the swim....zoom zoom!!!

2011-01-24 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson - looks like Hilde's got ya covered on the swim advice...keep at it man, it'll come!

I think I agree with Wilson on the swim 500 straight. It'll be too hard to compare the improvement from 100's with rest to a 500 straight.

I like the idea of something from your region but I agree with Hilde that the CA$H is probably better as I'm more likely to get something useful with the cash and more likely to see some of the random items go to waste - ya know!?

I think including your HR when you report your time trial time is a good idea...now, I always have my HRM set to show % of max HR instead of actual HR...will that be a problem? I have it that way as that is how "the dominatrix" writes her workout requirements. I have a hard time getting my HR up on the swimming though the way it goes up with the B and R...it's gonna look like I'm slacking there...hmmmmm?

Hope you all had a good Monday!
2011-01-24 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3319289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
If everyone gives it a hard effort and says they did, then that's good enough for me.  Most of us have history in our logs.....easy to tell if we were sandbagging...but come'on - it's $10 amongst cyberfriends...no biggie....Hey you've all seen Marsha beat the pants off me in the P90X vs. Body building contest.....so don't be scared.....I'm terrified enough for all or you..hahah....

So I'm in and will start the time trials soon.  I'll probably get the bike done sometime this week on the trainer.  I will push the swim so I can get one in soon...but it'll be a few weeks - I'm afraid....gunna enjoy the progression not hate it..haha

So it's on in my book...I'll post time trials as I finish them!! 

Count me in for $10 and a whole lot of whoop effort!!!!  Let the puke fest begin!!! 
2011-01-24 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Well, if Wilson's in the I'm in......mwwwwwaahahahahahaha...more butt kicking time! LOL!
2011-01-24 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Guys, I have something really exciting to tell you about....Tomorrow - Jan 25th is the first anniversary when I took my life back in my own hands...and decided not to die at 50 like my Dad due to being obese and out of shape.  I think I can officially say I have formed a new habit!!!  To recap my year!!!

Blood work Jan 2010 = all numbers bad - pre-diabetic - Dr was worried
Blood work Nov 2010 = all numbers great - no worries about anything....Dr very happy (and he's a triathlete!!)

Resting HR Jan 2010 - 84 bpm......on the verge of death
Resting HR Jan 2011 - 56 bpm......lovin' life

Family interaction 2010 - nil, sleeping all the time ignoring my kids and feeling guilty about it
Family interaction 2011 - awesome - spending all kinds of time with the kids doing all kinds of physical things....Makes me cry to think I was such a disappointment to my family in Jan 2010. 

Sleep in Jan 2010 = horrible...always tired
Sleep in Jan 2011 - like a baby, well rested!!!

Work in Jan 2010 = afraid someone would walk up two flight of stairs with me and I'd be out of breath
Work in Jan 2011 = wanna fu#$#$@!ing race me up the stairs....haha

Running in Jan 2010 = no way...walking 20 min at 4.0mph on the treadmill with elevated 150+ HR
Running in Jan 2011 = yep, I can do it....PR 8:39 / mile for 5k and have run 7 miles nonstop

Biking in Jan 2010 = level 5 of 20 on the stationary with heart rate of 150+ for 20 minutes
Biking in Jan 2011 = doing spinervals....getting stronger and average about 17ish on the road for 20+ miles

Swim in Jan 2010 = 25 yds I was exhausted!!!  20 minutes for 200yds
Swim in Jan 2011 = Swam nearly a mile in July.......and will get back there plus more with pool time.

Triathlon in Jan 2010 = just a pipe dream -- maybe I can do it
Triathlon in Jan 2011 = I did two last year......Not a dream anymore....at least 5 for this year planned.  Is an Oly in my future...what about a HIM in 2012???  Dunno, dreaming again.

Self confidence in Jan 2010 = pretty good
Self confidence in Jan 2011 = backed up by substance!!!

Weight Jan 2010 = right at 300lbs....afraid to look
Weight Jan 2011 = about 70+ pounds lighter!!!!!  Want to look....I will see 200 late this spring!!  Count on it!

Outlook on life in Jan 2010 = okay, gunna get by
Outlook on life in Jan 2011 = how can I elevate my game...personally, professionally, romantically, parentally...etc.....

People supporting me in Jan 2010 = my wife, family and close friends...
People supporting me in Jan 2011 = my wife, family, co-workers, close friends, friends and all my MMM friends here........

So, sorry to ramble...but I am really happy that I have made it this far in a year....I'm gunna kick the pants off of last year in my accomplishments this year!!!!  Thanks so much to the original MMM team, you guys are great and have really helped to keep me accountable and honest...love you guys for that...and my wife appreciates you taking all the Tri talk so she doesn't have to...And the new MMM peeps - please stay engaged, this journey has been great and I want to be inspired by you and maybe be inspiration to you all at some point.....

THANKS EVERYONE SO SO MUCH!!!!  Now time to kick some FU#$%@#$ING A$$ this year!!!!

2011-01-24 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
***CLAPPING, CHEERING, WHOOTING, HOLLERING***

Wilson that is AWESOME! Those are AMAZING accomplishments. You have SO much to be proud of! I'm honored to have been a small part of the journey!

2011-01-25 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3319401

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Wilson, what an inspiring post!!!  Health benefits are equal to personal improvements, just AWESOME!!  I'm especially impressed at the Daddy improvement, those kids are only little for so long, you'll be amazed at how fast the time flies by!  My daugher is 26 and I can remember vividly her being a newborn, doesn't seem so long ago... your kids will hopefully remember how Daddy got his $h!T together and what a great dad he was!  I have NO doubt that Jan. 2012 will have even MORE awesome improvements (due to your wonderful mentor, I'm sure... ha ha, NOT!  It's all YOU, baby!)
2011-01-25 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3319982

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I haven't forgotten about the official challenge, just haven't had time to sit down and really focus on it so that all the little quirks are on paper (or on this thread!).  I think we've finally got it nailed down though... I'll try to get this done this evening.
2011-01-25 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Just had a chance to look at the swimplan.com site....wowzers that is awesome....What a great tool - very simple and straightforward.....I will use this from here on out and see how it goes.  If any of you haven't taken a look - do so!!!  i would always go to the pool and mix it up, but never really had a plan that would help me get better....So, next swim I'll give it a try.  Great suggestion.Cool
2011-01-25 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
My Dolphin friends...

Swimming equipment wise....what do I need that will be effective....paddles, pull buoy, kick board....others....and what brand/style do you guys use??  I'm gunna get better at this swim stuff and want to get the stuff I need short and medium term.  I've read that the right paddles are very important so you don't get injured...So thoughts?
2011-01-25 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Wilson - CONGRATULATIONS on all of your life changes!!!!

2011-01-25 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
WOW Wilson...

you're my hero!
2011-01-25 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3320568

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Wilson, a lot of this is just personal preference, but this will give you an idea (I pulled these pics from this site:

http://www.kastawayswimwear.com

You may be able to find some of this stuff in the local sporting goods store too.

Pull buoy:
asd  OR this type:  sdf

Fins:  I like my Zoomers, but be sure to get the BLUE ones, they are more flexible and better for beginning swimmers.
sdf
Hand Paddles.... BIGGER IS NOT BETTER IN THIS SCENARIO!!  Pick one that is slightly bigger than your hand.  The bigger it is, the more chance for shoulder problems.  One trick, just use the band that goes over your middle finger, don't use the other straps, esp. if it has a wrist strap.  You will know IMMEDIATELY if you do something wrong if you just have it attached to one finger!  If you are swimming correctly you will have no problems keeping them on.
sdf

Any kind of kickboard will do, honestly I really don't use mine too much....

Marsha, may have more toy ideas, but these are the basics and all I use and I don't use them every workout.  It is very easy to become dependent on the fins!!!!  And I would build up use of the paddles, just in case.  Do maybe 200 yds (more like 4 x 50) with them the first time and see how you feel the next day.  I like the toys, because it does mix things up and makes the workouts more interesting, plus I look like such a bad @$$ carrying everything in my mesh bag!!
2011-01-25 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
Wilson, what a great motivational read. You've really come a long way in a short time!
Keep  it up...
2011-01-25 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wilson? You ARE an inspiration!! You prove that with the right attitude and determination, anything is possible. Your kids are all the better for seeing you go through this- it will show them that their destiny is in their own hands. No more sitting back and watching life go by- you're in the driver's seat now!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70