BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2012-02-09 2:41 AM
in reply to: #3943430

Rarotonga, The Cook Islands
Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED

LOL I am so behind on this group. So sorry. I was away from BT for about a month and started up again recently.

I have been extremely busy training. Since this group started I joined up with our local Triathlon training group here on our little tropical island. It has been a shock to the system and after 3 weeks or so my body is finally coming to grips with it.

Some of the huge milestones I have achieved in the last 3 weeks is swimming open water 1500m (what we call on our island - the Boiler Swim). Another was that I haven't been on a bike in over 10 yrs. So i got on the bike since then only 5 weeks ago and so it has been a MAJOR struggle the bike! 3 weeks ago I cycled round the island for the first time 32kms. I have done it 3 times since then and every time it KILLS me. I have up until today been using a hybrid bike. BUT good news!! Today, arrived from New Zealand, my new bike - Specialized Ruby Comp. I went for my first try out and it was soooo much harder on my legs! Wow! I find changing things very nerve wrecking and so I hope I can adjust to this bike without too many problems with saddle soreness and also getting used to bending so much lower.

Roadblocks:

1. Myself - I am extremely competitive. I am just a newbie and I expect myself to compete like the best of the best here on the island. I have to slow down and be used to being ok with slowing down.

2. The Bike - I read the notes and Robin I plan to try and get more and more time on the bike. I decided today that since my bike is new I will start again and build up a base. So 30 mins out and then build from there. I sooooooo wish I was faster. I haven't done our weekly sprint.duathlon with my new bike and I am really hoping it will make a difference. Well....tomorrow is the test - it is our weekly duathlon, I will slow down the pace and just see how I go.

3. Pains and niggles - being aware of not injuring myself and pushing myself too soon.

4. Getting used to getting up at 5:30am. I only swim early morning twice a week, but on those 2 days it KILLS me! I am wasted the whole day. Sometimes I have to have an afternoon catch up nap. Is the only way to get used to those early starts is my getting up everyday at that time? Is that right?

Enjoying the group!

PS My real name is Sherid

2012-02-09 10:35 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Sherid-

We're finally expecting our first "snowstorm" of the winter.  It's been extremely mild here in Ohio, but I think I may just have to come visit your little island to escape the cold...  but first I have to find it on the map! 

Welcome back to the group!  I'm glad you're already working hard and posting lots of questions in the forums.  That's what BT is about!  I hope you're finding that most posters are well-behaved. 

2012-02-09 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

I don't believe this.  Everything I just typed was erased.  It didn't get past the server.  ACK!!!!!!

Ok.  Try, try again...

What I was saying was, when exhaustion sets in and your legs get tired, and you just can't get your body going or feeling like it was, check out your workout weeks, not just days.

Your days should be varied throughout the week to enable rest for the muscles just used, meaning, don't do two long runs two days in a row (and the like).  Mix it up.

Longer term, though, as you build your endurance and as you maintain your fitness through racing, be sure to build in recovery weeks.  Huh????

Most plans use 3 weeks to build endurance followed by 1 recovery week.  In those 3 weeks, you may be building time or intensity.  You may work out 5 hours, 5.5 hours, and 6 hours in successive weeks.  Follow those up with 1 weeks where you take some off: back it down to 5 hours.  Then for the next three weeks, it may be 5.5, 6, and 6.5 hour weeks followed by a 5.5 hour week.  Recovery week is necessary to further rest your weary body.  You'll be amazed by how good you'll feel on the next hard week!

(And no.  Not every week can be a recovery week.  Nice try!    )

Katie- take a look at your weeks and see how your time is.  Do you have recovery weeks planned in there somewhere?

2012-02-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4037271

New user
tradershez - 2012-02-09 12:41 AM

4. Getting used to getting up at 5:30am. I only swim early morning twice a week, but on those 2 days it KILLS me! I am wasted the whole day. Sometimes I have to have an afternoon catch up nap. Is the only way to get used to those early starts is my getting up everyday at that time? Is that right?

Enjoying the group!

PS My real name is Sherid

Welcome Sherid!!

The only time I have in my day for working out is first thing in the morning. I get up at 5AM every morning. The only way I have gotten used to it, is doing it every singly morning. UGH! To be completely honest, I still don't enjoy it (after 4 months) and I still have days where it is a struggle to get up.

2012-02-10 10:02 AM

New user

I have a question about wetsuits, was this already asked?

I am looking into some triathlons in my area and it seems most recommend wearing a wetsuit. I think I am going to need a full sleeve wetsuit. They all seem so expensive. Is there any tips you can give me on saving some money. With the costs I am going to be spending on the tris themselves I am just haveing a hard time getting my head around spending $400+.

Would you ever buy a used wetsuit? Are there times when wetsuits go on sale? What about renting - Is this pricy? What about brands? Which one do you recommend?

Thanks!

2012-02-10 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4039971

User image

Expert
C-bus
exercisegirl6 - 2012-02-10 11:02 AM

I have a question about wetsuits, was this already asked?

I am looking into some triathlons in my area and it seems most recommend wearing a wetsuit. I think I am going to need a full sleeve wetsuit. They all seem so expensive. Is there any tips you can give me on saving some money. With the costs I am going to be spending on the tris themselves I am just haveing a hard time getting my head around spending $400+.

Would you ever buy a used wetsuit? Are there times when wetsuits go on sale? What about renting - Is this pricy? What about brands? Which one do you recommend?

Thanks!

First thing to consider is where and when you will be racing.  Are wetsuits necessary???  Most likely, no, unless you will be racing in cold water (72ish or below).  Will they make you faster?  Somewhat, but you'll be able to make up any time savings by focusing on improving speed on your run/bike.

I have never rented a wetsuit for a few reasons.  One, none of the races I was doing was ever cold enough.  Two, there is no shop nearby to rent one.  Three, Xterra wetsuits usually runs some good promotions.  They have the cheapest prices expecially when they have a special running.  I purchased a sleeveless through them 2 years ago in February for $100.  It's comfy and is holding up very well.  I have read some threads on BT about cost of renting vs. purchasing.  If you plan on continuing with tris, it's more economical to purchase. 

You may be able to find some good deals of ebay or craigslist.  Just be sure to research the heck out of the brand's size chart.  Each company is different.  Find the one that works for you.  Also, check to see if any repairs were done on the suit.  The neoprene is easily torn by fingernails, and those are common repairs. 

I would think that the wetsuit companies would be coming out with their new lines about now, just like bikes.  You may be able to find some really good deals if you start to look now!  Xterra is probably the brand you'll find most at races (they have the lowest cost), blueseventy, tyr, orca, promotion (I think they have ads on the sidebars as well).

Oh!  A good place to look for ideas is the gear review section here.  Just enter in what you're looking from from the dropdown menus and read to your heart's content!

Hope this helps!!!

2012-02-10 4:25 PM

New user

Thanks so much for the info.

I am pretty sure I am going to need a wetsuit. All of the pictures from the tris that I am considering have everyone in wetsuits. Also, I am considering joining an OWS group that starts swimming in May. I am quite sure the ocean is going to be freezing at that point.

I may call a couple of places around here to see how much wetsuit rentals are. I know of a couple companies that do it just to price it out and see what the best deal will be.

2012-02-11 12:19 AM
in reply to: #4039927

Subject: Training

Hi Exercisegirl

Thanks for that.

Wow everyday, even Sundays?  If I got up at 5:30am everyday I would be very, very tempted to train in the mornings as well as the evenings...on the days I don't have swimming training.

Thanks for the tip Robin!! The Cook Islands is sooo hot and humid at the moment. Totally dying at night with the heat. Not easy to sleep. Hubby has taken to sleeping on the floor next to the door in the lounge for better ventilation. We are lucky as since moving here 3 years ago we hardly ever get sick with colds/flu.

Re: Recovery weeks: I need to take that onboard. I have Friday as my rest day (today!!! Yipee...although I must admit I feel lost without training on Fridays). I had never thought of a slower week as a recovery week.

My weakest event is the bike and I am struggling to find more time in my week to fit in more bike. I see that everyone always says that to get better on the bike you need more time on the bike (but where can I fit in the time, as I have training on every other day LOL). Here on our island we have a lady who is coaching a Triathlon group. We are one large group of about 20 people from different abilities. So we have lots of group training sessions organised. So these are the things are taking up alot of time. Within the sessions we all have different/varying distances and strengths to do. But I seriously can't fit in another bike session. How could I do this?

I do bike - Sundays (32km - faster pace); Thursday (8 km part of duathlon/brick working up towards 16km) and Sat (16km part of Triathlon weekly race - aerobic or anerobic...up to me)

1. I have option of doing another cycle on Wednesday pm. My training group does a round island cycle (32kms), but up until this week I haven't really been fast enough to join them - this was based on my own times of going around the island on my own with my HYBRID bike....but now that I have a racing bike I am hoping my times are better - will find out this Sunday!). If I do a cycle what do you suggest I do for this session?

2. Is it ok to include another bike session in the morning of another day that won't affect the training of the other disicpline in the afternoon. I saw that other BT'ers on a thread I posted about over training said that it is important to not go too hard, but it is ok to go aerobic pace and do a few more training sessions? What sort ok bike distances/training would you suggest? I have a big event Tri race on March 24th (4/16/4) and then an Oly distance on May 12.

I had a look at the BT training on the forum but it is too difficult to incorporate now that I have committed to training with the group. If I did the training sessions/programs on the forum then I would have to opt out of my current group and do my own thing.

Sorry for long post and all the questions,  Smile

Thanks Sherid

2012-02-11 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Sherid- From your other threads, I know you're dedicated to your coach and tri group.  I'm not fully aware of the coach's structure to the individual workouts, so I'll tell you how I would structure the distances you provided.  Take note, though, that the bike is my weakest of the three and I am developing also.  (meaning--I am no professional, but I'll tell you what I've learned)

Sunday ride- Typically long rides are to increase endurance.  These shouldn't be all out fast the entire time.  Ride, push the pace a little, but focus on increasing the time in the saddle.  Especially if you're shooting for an OLY distance, you'll want to be able to ride beyond that distance comfortably.  Increase your distance with these rides little by little.  (I think you'll find that with your new bike, you'll WANT to be on it longer!!!)

Thursday -duathlon ride.  This is where you should be picking up the pace.  It's a shorter distance, so you want to push the pace and see what you can do during this time. 

Saturday -tri ride.  This is a medium distance, so make this a tempo ride.  Not quite as "easy" as an endurance ride, not fast like a sprint, but one where you know you're working.  (This is the hardest one to describe.)

Your distances are spread out pretty well (again, I know they're coupled with other workouts).  If I were to add one, I'd add on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Since Thursday's a pretty intense day, make it an easier ride, not too hard. 

I hope this helps!  And, I looked on the map to find out where on Earth (literally) you are.  Holy cow!!!!  How did you end up there?  It looks fantastic!!!!

2012-02-11 3:27 PM

User image

New user

Keller, TX

Hey Gang-

I ran in a 5k this morning with my husband. It was 27 degrees with a windchill of 14 degrees.  BRRRR!  I finished in 27:11 and 2nd in my age group. That's my PR so far! I was so very excited.  I guess all this training is paying off!!Smile

Holly

2012-02-11 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Congratulations, Holly!!!!!!!!  BBRRRRR!!!!  You earned that PR and podium spot!!!!

2012-02-11 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4042237

Hi Holly, CONGRATS!! 2nd that's amazing. I am racing in the complete opposite climate here today. I know I will wish I was riding in 20 degrees for the majority of the race (not the swimming though LOL).
2012-02-13 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

alright everyone- 

we've been at this for about 2.5 months now...  how do you stand with the goals you have made?  Are you actively persuing them?  a little behind?  a LOT behind?  Doing better than you thought?  Let's hear it!

I have successfully been going to be earlier--right around midnight.  It's been a long time since I stayed up until 2am.  Some nights I have trouble sleepind and am tempted to get back up, but I don't!  (win!)

I've been following my plan after I changed it from the 8 week biking to the 8 week running.  I still have to tweak the weekend days depending on the weather--I will not run on ice-- but I've been doing it!  I REALLY dreaded yesterday's hour-fifteen run, but I told that run who was boss!

Injury prevention is still my #1 goal.  I still have my achy butt/hamy after long runs, but I think it's "stable".  So far, so good.

It's almost time for my plans to change again.  In a week or two I mix it up again to focus on my half mary in May.

What's up with you???

2012-02-15 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4045767

New user

As I approach my HM this weekend I feel good about my running. I feel like I have been consistent and so far I have set a PR in my 10k run. I have also stuck to my plan of running easy 90% of the time and so far no nagging pains or injuries. YAY!

Other then that, I feel like I have let my cycling and weights slip up quite a bit. I am not consistent at all. I will do it for a couple weeks and then not.

After this week I am moving into my next phase - triathlon. I just finished making my plan which will take me to the beginning of my olympic plan.I hope I can bring consistency to all the sports especially as I add in more cycling and swimming to the routine.

2012-02-15 5:46 PM

New user

Ok, more questions as I set my schedule for this coming year.

I think I have moved away from the ocean swims where I will require a wetsuit for the majority of the season. My plan is to have a couple pool swims at the beginning of the season and 1 lake swim at the end of the season. I will consider the wetsuit as the season moves on and hopefully hold off on the purchase until next year (unless I find a killer deal).

So this leads into my next question. What do people wear for pool swims? Do I need tri specific shorts or will any bike shorts do? I want to save as much money as I can and spend it on races instead. With that being said, I see myself doing a couple non-competitive biking events next year and don't mind investing in some biking clothes.

Thanks! I am sure I will be back later with more questions.

2012-02-15 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4049721

New user
I wore my swimsuit for pool swims during the first triathlon season - slipped shorts and t-shirt on for the bike afterwards.  I HATED IT.  Schlepping around in a soaked swimsuit was motivation enough for me to purchase some tri shorts and tri top which I wore through the bike and run, too.

2012-02-15 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Katie's right.  Putting clothes on in transition will do more than just slow you down.  It'll get you frustrated.  You may be able to find some good deals now on tri gear.  The new lines are coming out, so the 2011 models will be going on clearance.  Try trisports.com, desotosport.com, all3sports.com and check out their sale/clearance section. 

The tri shorts are also better for swimming-biking.  Bike shorts are too bulky to swim and run in.  I find (now after several years) that I prefer to ride in tri shorts as opposed to bike shorts. 

Hints for buying tri shorts:  Try to find a pair that does NOT have the center seam running all the way through the crotch area.  De Soto brand (that I'm certain about) does not do this.  I don't know if other brands have models that eliminate that seam, but I know it can be rather uncomfortable. 

I've heard good things about zoot, 2xu, de soto, craft to name a few.  (The clothes are not cheap, but they will last if you care for them right.)

2012-02-16 9:03 AM

New user

Thanks guys! I am going to go check out a local shop on the weekend and see what my options are. I am a little worried about purchasing online when I have no idea what my size is. Especially when the items say final sale.

Ok, next question. The days are getting  a bit warmer and longer so I want to move my running outside in the AM. The problem is is that it is still dark at 5:30am. I am slightly worried about the dangers in the morning. I am wondering if anyone else runs when it is still dark and how you make yourself feel safe

By the way, I have a big black dog who will be coming with me each day. She is a great protector.

2012-02-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4050514

User image

Expert
C-bus
exercisegirl6 - 2012-02-16 10:03 AM

Thanks guys! I am going to go check out a local shop on the weekend and see what my options are. I am a little worried about purchasing online when I have no idea what my size is. Especially when the items say final sale.

Ok, next question. The days are getting  a bit warmer and longer so I want to move my running outside in the AM. The problem is is that it is still dark at 5:30am. I am slightly worried about the dangers in the morning. I am wondering if anyone else runs when it is still dark and how you make yourself feel safe

By the way, I have a big black dog who will be coming with me each day. She is a great protector.

^this

I know people who run with headlamps, reflective vests, pepper spray.  Dog is the best, IMHO.  Be careful especially when crossing streets.  Drivers are not on the lookout so early in the morning usually. 

It's nice that you have a shop so close to you.  I've done my fair share of purchase online then return.  The only odd sizing issue I have heard is that Zoot can run small...  good luck shopping!  Can't wait to hear what you have found!

2012-02-16 1:39 PM

New user

Edited by kknickrehm 2012-02-16 3:30 PM
2012-02-16 1:40 PM

New user

Robin

Thank you for the gentle reminder about rest weeks :-)  I have been so focused on burning fat and getting some pounds off before the season, that I totally forgot about that....and I am not following a set training plan right now.

I have Michael Fitch's book on Triathlons - can you share what plans you have used?  In the past, I used a beginner triathlon training plan, and it served it's purpose ok.    I have also seen several online coaches that charge for plans and I am wondering if these are superior to other training plans that are out there in books or for free online?   I'd love to hear if anyone has gone this route.

Gotta run

-Katie

2012-02-17 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4051189

User image

Expert
C-bus
kknickrehm - 2012-02-16 2:40 PM

Robin

Thank you for the gentle reminder about rest weeks :-)  I have been so focused on burning fat and getting some pounds off before the season, that I totally forgot about that....and I am not following a set training plan right now.

I have Michael Fitch's book on Triathlons - can you share what plans you have used?  In the past, I used a beginner triathlon training plan, and it served it's purpose ok.    I have also seen several online coaches that charge for plans and I am wondering if these are superior to other training plans that are out there in books or for free online?   I'd love to hear if anyone has gone this route.

Gotta run

-Katie

My first year (one indoor tri, two sprint distance tris, and one olympic) I used "Starting Out Triathlon" by Paul Huddle and Roch (not a typo)  Frey.  This book has very comfortable 8 week plans for sprints and olympic distances.  I still rely on this book a lot for their sprint work and swim sets.  I went to spinning class for bike workouts.  I rode outside for endurance only.  I love this book.  It's simple, small, and gets right to the point.

Last year I used "Be Iron Fit" by Don Fink as a basis for my Half-iron distance training.  Again, I like it because it has well thought-out plans and has a more info for the person who has done some triathlons.  It has 3 levels of ironman training (I just stopped after the half-iron race in the plan).  I did tweak these plans a bit, though, to fit in my schedule with the kids and summer.

I may be using BT plans this year.  I'm not sure.  For what my needs are (lots of childcare esp. in summer) and what I am physically able to do (no, I'm not getting up at 4am to workout), it's my opinion that some plans are pretty heavy and loaded with time.  I haven't made my tri plan yet, I'm still gearing up towards a half marathon in May.

Which brings me to this commercial:  If you feel this mentoring program isn't exactly what you needed or expected, please join a mentor group for the summer!  Since winter is usually "off-season", this is a difficult time to really get into the "thick of things".  It's hard to think of all the questions you need answered or in my case cover all the topics that need covering when it's 40 degress outside.  Please join a summer group!!!!! 

In other news, I do have some good news on this friday---  wait for it......

I received an email from USAT saying I qualified for the age group nationals in vermont in August!  Yippee!

Have a great weekend!

Edited by sungirl919 2012-02-17 6:44 PM
2012-02-19 3:12 PM

New user

Happy Sunday!

How is everyone doing?

Wow Robin, congratulations! Can I ask you what your background is? These past few weeks I have started thinking what it would take for me to see some major improvements in running.

I just completed my third half marathon today. I finished in 2:03:30, which is an 11 minute PR from the course last year. I feel extremely happy with this result but it is also leaving me feel a little disappointing that I didn't get a bit closer to the 2 hour mark. I know I am being hard on myself and I will use this as motivation to go under 2 hours. It is crazy that I am feeling disappointing since my goal was to finish in under 2:06.

Has anyone else ever felt this way?

Oh, and I got my first pair of tri shorts yesterday! I got a pair of Desoto shorts. I will try them out later this week

2012-02-19 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

That's awesome!  2:03 is a great pace!  And to beat your last time by 11 minutes, that's almost 1 minute per mile increase in pace!  Very respectable!  Keep doing what you're doing to get faster!  Intervals, long runs, running in general will help make you faster!  As your endurance increases, you speed will increase as well.

I was a gym rat/pool rat growing up.  LIfeguard (but never on swim team) and team sports: volleyball, basketball, soccer, softball (only 1/2 year of track).  I only came into triathlon because I wanted to do a hometown race.  Being a stay at home mom helped.  My husband and I ran a marathon together (2003) before our first was born , then nothing until a half marathon 4 years after that.  I didn't start triathlon until 2009. 

Woo hoo!!!!  Lot's of good news from last week! 

Which De Soto line did you get?

2012-02-21 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4053903

New user
Thanks for the book ideas - and also CONGRATS on qualifying for nationals!  Awesome! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12