Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2012-01-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3947465

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Subject: RE: Scott's Mentor Group-Closed
I'm also in Vermont and also run outside year round. My record is -15F without the wind chill. Unplowed snow will slow me down a bit.

I didn't have any cold weather biking gear, so I was on the trainer pretty early ...

I started swimming in October, so it was indoors from the start. I'm really looking forward to some OWS once it warms up. 

2012-01-12 4:07 PM

Hi

Does anybody know of any good websites that I can look at for a wetsuit? This is my first triathlon (sprint version to start with) so dont want to break the bank

Cheers

Gareth

2012-01-12 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3987094

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
gareth73 - 2012-01-12 5:07 PM

Hi

Does anybody know of any good websites that I can look at for a wetsuit? This is my first triathlon (sprint version to start with) so dont want to break the bank

Cheers

Gareth

The prices look pretty good here.  http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/WW/CTGY/mens-triathlon-wetsuits

2012-01-12 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3987094

User image

Lake Forest, CA
gareth73 - 2012-01-12 2:07 PM

Gareth,

If you think you like the Neosport http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_2652/Triathlon_Suits/2717.html is a great place to buy.

I have no experience withthe Neosport but will likely buy one when it gets a little closer to my first race. 

I've purchased a lot of scuba great from Leisurepro and I love the fact that most items have free shipping and I realy love their garuntee fit policy.  If you oder something and it doesn't fit, they pay the shipping both ways to return the item and get you a different size.

Hope this helps.

2012-01-12 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

Evening, newbies and legends!

Hope everyone had a good training day! My legs wore a little sore from running this week. Today was swim day. I went and swam for 20 minutes. I was able to go 600 yards which was 2 more laps over what I did Tuesday. I practiced kicking off the wall. I need to focus on my technique before I start worrying about distance. Again, a little improvement is exciting. 

Everything is shut down tomorrow b/c of the weather so the Y could be very busy. Going to try and manage a run tomorrow with maybe a little indoor biking. I'm not a big fan of riding a stationary bike but need to keep up with it. Biking is my strength so I'm not too worried about it.

Somebody give me something they are proud of this week!!

2012-01-13 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3986808

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
ahutson - 2012-01-12 3:02 PM

Who on this board runs while it is snowing??!!!! Lets talk temperatures.

Where do you draw the line on running, biking, and swimming outside?

I did a bike ride and run in the 40s this week. I am debating a run in the snow today!

I run when it's snowing but you have to choose your routes carefully. Anyplace that's plowed and doesn't have too much traffic. I like to actually run through the cematary because it's plowed and there's no traffic. I did kill my cell phone in a sleet storm last winter though so now if it's raining I wrap it in plastic.

I screwed up and didn't realize it until last night which is going to result in me missing a swim this week. I had decided to swim Saturday this week because the pool was so crowded Monday night (I think it was the New Year's resolution crowd) and it was so quiet when I went on Saturday but I just realized last night that I have to travel Saturday. No big deal, really, but I'm a little mad at myself...

So plans for the weekend: Yoga on Saturday (swim if get beck early enough, which is unlikely), Run 4-5 on Sunday.

2012-01-13 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3987649

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

Good morning everyone.  I had a good workout last night.  One hour on the trainer followed by an easy 10 minute transition run.  I hope everyone is getting over their ills.  I will check in later.  Train smart.

ahutson - 2012-01-12 10:54 PM

Somebody give me something they are proud of this week!!

I am always most proud of my daughter.  With regards to training though, anytime I get through a 20 min power test and a) don't stop and b) don't hurl, I am proud of myself.  

2012-01-13 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I'm proud if I DO hurl, Scott. 

Specifically ... this week ... I'm proud of my wife, Marianne. (I refer to her as TAATM ... The Amazing And Talented Marianne). In her spare time, she's a playwright and she received a grant from our local Arts league to pursue some sketch comedy she's been writing with a writing partner. She got a very nice write-up for her upcoming "work in progress" showing she'll deliver in Feb.

So yesterday evolved into my first full rest day of the month as I stayed home to let things work themselves out with some sort of intestinal bug I picked up. I didn't eat much, so I'm not feeling very fueled right now ... not sure what that means for tonight's workout. I doubt I'll head to the pool, but I may take the opportunity to get the bike all set up with the new trainer, the Cadence/Speed sensor, and PowerTrainer. I should be able to find at least 30 minutes of pretty casual riding in there as I sort that all out. 

2012-01-13 5:47 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa, New York

I had a really strong week on the bike after finally getting over my cold. This morning was especially good as I felt like I had good energy and hit the power numbers that I was trying to maintain. I also made it to the pool at least once and had a pretty decent swim. I know I have to get to the pool more frequent then once a week but my focus is on cycling right now with my most immediate goal of racing the Tour of Battenkill in April. It has a reputation of being an extremely challenging races. The course features 62 miles of unrelenting hills and 9 sections of dirt. What could be better way of spending a Saturday in April......right??

Here are a couple of links to some very cool videos that have been circulating the net. This will give you some winter training motivation. The first is the bike and the second is for the run. Enjoy! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8YhrAAvh7w&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZgK08YDaE&feature=related

2012-01-13 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

Good evening everyone.  We had a wonderful winter storm here today.  Got a 1/2 hour run in this evening outside.  It was nastiness, but invigorating. Keep this in mind; They say that triathlon is a winter sport.....it is only contested in the summer.  Get out there and train.  

Tim,  great to hear that you are getting it back.  Thanks for the videos.  I like this one too.  Hope y'all like eminem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqpYKx8Fvk&feature=related

2012-01-13 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Ok ... got the bike set up with the new cadence/speed sensor and linked with TrainerRoad. Took it for a test drive with 37 minutes of a Sufferfest workout ... my first workout with (virtual) power. I'm going to like this ... looking forward to the FTP test. Will probably do that on Sunday instead of a long run. That's the thing with new toys ... 

Scott ... you always get so much more snow than we do here in Burlington. Maybe a couple of inches tops. Still worthy of a few "shovel repeats" tomorrow morning. 

Gonna have a look at those videos now.

2012-01-13 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Okay ... that was not winter running.

This is winter running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKtykGDbZsE 

2012-01-13 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3989555

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
rsmoylan - 2012-01-13 8:18 PM

Tim,  great to hear that you are getting it back.  Thanks for the videos.  I like this one too.  Hope y'all like eminem.

I liked 2:36, Scott.

2012-01-13 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3989580

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
BernardDogs - 2012-01-13 8:46 PM
rsmoylan - 2012-01-13 8:18 PM

I liked 2:36, Scott.

Normann Stadler.  He even throws up to match his kit.

2012-01-13 8:45 PM

User image

Lake Forest, CA

Good evening all,

Yesterday I got on the trainer for 90 minutes.  This is the longest I've ever ridden inside.

Today was my long run day, 44 minutes.  I made 4 miles, my longest yet.  My pace came down a few seconds again today.  I'm soon to be in the tens.  I realy hope I can be in the 9's come race day in March.

Tomorrow is my off day but the body feels good so I'll likely do my short swim so Sunday I'll only have to bike.

Make it a great weekend.

2012-01-14 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3989642

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

Good morning, everyone!

I liked those videos. I can see you people in Vermont doing that! lol Hope everyone had a good day yesterday training for something! All you northern people inspired me yesterday so I went for a run in the snow! It was in the mid-teens and a light snow was falling. It was energizing! I went on a short run and then did 30 min on a stationary bike. The roads were in no condition to ride a bike on. It makes me cringe to think about hitting an ice patch on a bike. With the roads still icy and nasty, I think I'll do a swim today instead of biking. I could do another bike session. I need a trainer at home but that is not in the budget right now. 

Tomorrow is my day of rest. I won't lie, I'm looking forward to it.

71 days till race day!

2012-01-14 9:06 AM

Subject: How training going??

Hi all

How is everyones training going?

Just got in from doing a 750 metre swim and a 5k run (set a PB today), the temperature this morning in Cardiff (UK) was -4, so really happy with my run (28 minutes in case anyone interested), 43 seconds quicker than same route last week, and 13 seconds on my previous PB!!

Also thanks to those who posted sites to look at for wetsuits?

Keep up the good work

Gareth

2012-01-14 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3990026

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia
Subject: RE: How training going??

Looks like everyone but gareth73 and I took the day off!! j/k

I did a 2 mile run and 600 yard swim at the Y. I didn't time my T1 in the locker room.  Its not much but it feels good putting 2 legs together. I feel like I have made some good progress the last few weeks. I've dropped about 5 lbs. I am really excited about what lies ahead.

Tomorrow is my day off but I'll check in to see how everyone else is doing.

70 days to the starting gun! Do they have starting guns?

2012-01-14 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Hello everyone.   Had a great day today.  Worked hard in the pool this morning for 2500 yds.  Took my 5 min power test this evening and showed some great improvement from the last test.  Then I had 10 min. transition run after the bike.  Tired, and watching some football now.  Congratulations to you all.  It is hard to get out there sometimes.  Make it so it's hard to not workout.  We'll be talking about the bike this week.  Bring your questions.  
2012-01-15 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3990711

User image

good morning everyone

i did a long bike ride yesterday.  I did it on  a stationary bike in front of the tv while watching the US Olympic Trials Marathon for both men and women.  Two pretty exciting races!!!!  Very motivating too.

Today I am scheduled for a long run, maybe 60 minutes or so. 

Have a great day

Pete R

2012-01-15 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Good morning fitness freaks ...

Spent an hour on the trainer today with the TrainerRoad 20 minute power test (30 minute warm up, 20 minute max effort, 10 minute cool down). I was in the meat of the 20 minute test and TAATM came into the living room with something in her hand and some sort of conversation starter. I just shook my head and sort of whimpered. She can't remember what she wanted. Ahh, being the spouse of a triathlete ... must be an odd role.

TrainerRoad starts you off with an assumed FTP of 200 ... updated mine to 213 after the workout. I'll test again in a few weeks and see what kind of fitness gains I can make. I'll take it, having gone almost 3 weeks without a trainer.

Glad I substituted that for my long run today, as it is hovering in the 0F range here in VT. But I'll get back out there again tomorrow.

Go Pack Go!!! 

2012-01-15 4:42 PM

User image

Clayton NC
Hello all,

Pretty good week of training. 3 runs, 2 swims, 1 interval bike ride and 1 moderate pace bike ride.
This level is a step up for me so I am pleased.

BernardDog,

Your comment about fitness freaks is accurate.
This is how I feel. I was thinking about this the other day. I shy away from talking about any of my training or the fact that I am on a vegan diet with anyone. The reasons as all of you know is people that don't work out just don't know why we do what we do.

We are freaks to them.

I have been a runner for 6 years and just got into tri's in 2011.

I guess if we are freaks for the right reasons and we are able to keep a certain level of balance in our lives then being a freak is not so bad.

Maybe we could start some discussion on this and why we do what we do.

Everyone have a great week with Family at work and in your training.

Roger

2012-01-15 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran

Did a 10 mile trail run yesterday with my brother - conditions were dismal - it was around 16 degrees, the trail was alternating muddy, icy, or covered with horse crap.  To be honest none of that was all that bad compared to the wet leaves that covered ice.  Had a good brisk run and at the final mile my brother took off with his sprint, I waited a bit and then went as well and promptly tweaked my knee.  Finished up but was uncomfortable the rest of the evening.

Got a nice long sleep (9 hours - I average 5) but today was a bust - 2 birthday parties for my kids to attend and I ate like complete crap.  Did not want to take today off but it seems that is what will happen.

Have a gym workout plus P90x chest/back planned for tomorrow as it will be cold as hell again BUT with the kids home from school may throw me a curveball.  I'll start early and hope to get back on track with an early morning start.    

2012-01-15 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

Fitness freaks indeed!  2500 yds in the pool this morning, 2.5 hours on the trainer this evening.  

The question as to why I do what I do is a good one.  I love competition, and I love training.  I want to see how far and how fast I can go and for how long.  This started for me in high school with track and cross country.  I was a 1/2 miler and a decent one in our division.  I worked hard at it.  I ran the distance with the long distance guys, then got on the track to do speed drills with the sprinters.  

My dad was a collegiate swimmer, and so I guess his competitiveness carried over to me.  Not that he pushed me at all, the drive came from within.  Having just spent the last 2.5 hours on the trainer I was thinking that I'm up, and I'm going to watch a little tv, I might as well be moving while doing it.  Now I'm just rambling.  

Why do you all train?  Not that you need a "why".  Just curious if there is one; what is it?

2012-01-16 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3992164

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
rsmoylan - 2012-01-15 10:37 PM

Why do you all train?  Not that you need a "why".  Just curious if there is one; what is it?

Because Scott told me to... Just kidding. I train because I feel like crap when I don't. Also I get fat and then my back hurts and I'm uncomfortable all the time. I suppose there's a little type "A" in the mix at times. Sometimes I get obsessive and decide to train for something hard just to feel like I'm a badass but I haven't felt like that in a while. Right now I just want to feel good.

On the fitness freaks thing-I've actually had people try to convince me that excersizing and eating right isn't healthy or that I'm going to die young because I try to be healthy. Wtf? My boss makes fun of my "health food" and swears I'm going to get hit by a bus someday.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I got some yoga in and a 4 mile run. Today I'm going to swim. I hope the pool's not crowded. I feel a little bad about this but I'm hoping people will fail at their New Years resolutions because there's too many people in the pool. I know that's really selfish and wrong but I can't help myself... Crap, I just realized it's a holiday. I hope the pool is actually open because I didn't wash my running clothes yet.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 34