BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-02-28 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3950650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: RE: ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!!
Got in an hour run this morning and 3000yds in the pool.  All the people doing 75 mile rides and 15 miles runs over on the IMCDA thread has me spooked.  Overachievers

2012-02-28 9:39 PM

New user

Toronto
Got a short run in on Sat. and a 1-hour run on Sunday.  Managed to hit the pool today...still building my endurance but am started to see the benefits as my time was much faster than normal!
2012-03-01 8:57 AM

User image

This question is directed more to the guys.  So I have now done 3 - 1 hour rides on my new trainer and I have a lot of discomfort and numbness you know where.  I don't have this when riding outside. 

Does anyone else have this experience while riding on your trainer? 

Maybe I need a new saddle.  What do the guys recommend as a good comfortable saddle.

2012-03-01 9:49 AM

User image

Here are a few things that helped me...#1 was a fitting for a saddle. I found out I have very wide sit bones and need a 150mm wide saddle. #2 was simply getting off the saddle while riding to stretch the back, legs, and make adjustments in the contact spots.  #3, on any ride over  2hrs. use a lubricant like butt-butter. I wish I did #1 before just buying saddles because they looked comfortable.  I went through 3 popular saddles before the fitting , now I have one I can live with.  Good luck...
2012-03-01 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4074698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
If your bike is fit for you and you're comfortable on multi-hour rides outdoors, I wouldn't mess with the fit.  On a trainer you're in a much more rigid position in that the frame of your bike isn't absorbing any shock/you're not moving and leaning with the bike/you're not getting up out of the saddle.  I find that the trainer is just a different beast when it comes to saddle comfort.  3 hours outdoors I'm fine.  3 hours indoors and I'm very sore.  Try some lubricant and just log more time in the saddle.  It gets better the more you use it!
2012-03-01 2:19 PM

User image

Thanks Syrvelo and Japewag!  I was hoping that being in the trainer was the main issue.  I was fitted for the bike but I do think I need a new saddle also.

2012-03-01 4:17 PM

User image

Rubant, I agree, the saddle is the important thing for sure. I used to get numb on my road bike to the point that when I got off it was a sharp pain down my legs. I switched to the Adamo road seat and that went away. The Adamo DEFINITELY takes getting used to though, and if you have it on a road bike, it's TOTALLY different on a tri bike.

Speaking of soreness, I haven't ridden over 30 miles on my tri bike since I've been focusing on my running with the marathon I just completed. So with that race out of the way, this week I started to concentrate more on the bike with my HIM in April. I rode 20 miles yesterday, and then today I did a 40 mile ride. Like I said, I have an Adamo road seat, and HOLY COW, am I sore. I recently switched from road shorts to wearing only tri shorts while biking to get my whatever bones those are that you sit on a little more adjusted to less padding. Yes, I can tell I gotta do more biking and get that area more prepared cause I'm walking bow legged right now lol. We'll see how it feels tomorrow when I go out for another 40 miler.

Hope everyone is having a good week of training. Got the BeIronFit book in thanks to Japewang and possibly looking at Oct and the B2B for a full. We'll see first how this half goes in April.

2012-03-02 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4069714

User image

Extreme Veteran
aavella - 2012-02-27 9:22 PM

Having a devil of a time trying to find a masters swimming class in my area!

The only one I did find was Tues. & Thurs. from 6:30-7:45am.  Can't swing it with my work schedule!   I'm going to have to keep searching!

Boo.. that stinks that it can't work out. That would be a perfect time for me. I am in the same boat as you because I think my 1 day a week class is disbanding. Do you not live in an area with a lot of swimming?

2012-03-02 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So what's happening this weekend?

I am in Florida visiting my parents so just running today and tomorrow. Get back Saturday night and have a four hour plus ride on Sunday.

Got a call when I was on the plane that my new bike is in the store ... Speed Concept. SOOO excited!!

Can't believe I will have to wait till Sunday to see it !

2012-03-03 11:59 AM

User image

Weather in NC succccckkkks!  Got in a 20 mile bike/4 mile run brick yesterday. Trying to get in 8 mile run today and 40 mile bike tomorrow, but mother nature is not cooperating.
2012-03-03 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
I put 59.93 mi on the trainer today.  3.5 hours.  Really wanted to hit that 60 mile mark, oh well.  I think I'm getting nutrition dialed in.  I'm doing gu every half hour and accelerade.  I'm going to be in NYC next week, so my training will be a bit haphazard.  Oh well!

2012-03-04 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4078877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thats a long trainer ride!! How is your trainer coming up with a speed?
2012-03-04 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4079364

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Have a kk trainer with the kk computer that gives data feedback on spd, watts, rpms.
2012-03-04 7:59 AM

User image

Hey Bethany, 

Enjoy that new bike,  maybe you can post a pic.  When is the first ride?  Here in upstate N.Y  the snow has melted but still too cold for an outdoor ride.  Still putting in hrs on the indoor-drainer.  

2012-03-04 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Got a great relaxing 10 mile run in this afternoon.  A bit chilly and windy, but felt great.  I'm headed to NYC all next week for work.  Hope to connect with a friend and get a swim or two in and have him take me running in central park.  What a tourist.
2012-03-05 4:33 PM

User image

Well after the pathetic 2 hour ride I had yesterday in some fun winds, today I got my VO2 max done which was cool. Looked at the zones compared to the 220- formula and it is different.  So glad I got it done, and even better that it didn't cost anything.

Got in the pool and got a good 2900yd workout in. w/u then 5 sets of 200, 100, 100 w/ 10 seconds rest in between each.  It was brutal.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday and gonna get some great training in this week. I'm gonna start killing it again tomorrow on the bike and hopefully get a little stronger before race day.

2012-03-06 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4079393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks! Just rode it for the first time a little while ago....click on my signature link ...I just wrote a post about it with some (poor) pics. I already noticed a huge difference on my first ride...very exciting!
2012-03-06 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4081587

User image

Extreme Veteran
How was the v02 test...was it what you expected?
2012-03-07 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4083990

User image

It was pretty cool.  Definitely a little wierd wearing the mask thing. Numbers were different though from the 220-age formula.  For example via the formula 85% Max HR was 156, but now I know mine at 85% is 145. 95% went from 174 down to 162, so it showed me that this whole time I've thought my HR was running a little high, I was really on when it comes to me. My VO2 max was :60 ml/kg/min and the guy said that was really good, so cool.  I'm just glad it allows me to dial in my HR to my body now and can work more on some HR stuff.

Other than that, today got on the trainer for an hour before work, went to the pool today at open water wednesday and swam 3000yds, then came home and knocked out another 25 miles on the bike.  A good day of training.

Saw the pics of the bike, very nice. I'm a fan of black.

Hope everyone else is having a great week of training.

2012-03-08 7:17 PM

User image

So Saturday, I'm going to do somewhat of a simulated HIM race. Gonna start at the pool, do my 1.2, then jump off, ride 50 miles, then run 6 miles.  I'm doing this to check on my nutrition and see if it is somewhat dialed in. I'm still far enough out if it doesn't work that I can make changes, that is why I'm doing it now. 

Breakfast-oatmeal and banana
Before swim-gel
On my bike I'll have my aero bottle (24oz) w/ 2 sccops of accelerade 240 cal total. I'll have my other bottle with the same thing.
My plan is to drink one bottle each for the first hour. That will be 240 cal in each one, then take a gel every 30 min, so an additional 200 cal, so that totals 440 cal each for the first 2 hours.
The last hour (plan on biking 19 or so mph), I plan to switch to water at an "aid station" and continue the gel every 30. That will mean the last hour on the bike 2 gels, and to supplement for drinking just water, add in a bag of GU chomps.
Run-gel and fluid every 30 depending on how I feel

Now my question is that I'm trying to determine is that for the first 2 hours I will be drinking accelerade only, no just straight water. Has anyone else done this and has it affected you? The reason I'm doing this is because race day I plan on having just the same two bottles on the bike with accelerade, and then throw the empty one out the last stop (mile 45) of the bike. I have yet to chase gels with accelerade. Anyone else done that before?

Anyone got any comments, that would be great. Really want to try to get this right this weekend.

2012-03-09 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4085536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Joey Blankenship - 2012-03-07 5:46 PM

It was pretty cool.  Definitely a little wierd wearing the mask thing. Numbers were different though from the 220-age formula.  For example via the formula 85% Max HR was 156, but now I know mine at 85% is 145. 95% went from 174 down to 162, so it showed me that this whole time I've thought my HR was running a little high, I was really on when it comes to me. My VO2 max was :60 ml/kg/min and the guy said that was really good, so cool.  I'm just glad it allows me to dial in my HR to my body now and can work more on some HR stuff.

Other than that, today got on the trainer for an hour before work, went to the pool today at open water wednesday and swam 3000yds, then came home and knocked out another 25 miles on the bike.  A good day of training.

Saw the pics of the bike, very nice. I'm a fan of black.

Hope everyone else is having a great week of training.

Sounds like a good time. I'm confused about the HR data he gave you, though. For one, 220- age, if that's what you were using, isn't useful for anyone.

How did he arrive at the numbers he did, however?

Did he give you a printout with the max achieved during the test and your hypothetical max? Or were those numbers you gave a percentage of your LT heartrate?

2012-03-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4087691

User image

Extreme Veteran
Joey Blankenship - 2012-03-08 7:17 PM

So Saturday, I'm going to do somewhat of a simulated HIM race. Gonna start at the pool, do my 1.2, then jump off, ride 50 miles, then run 6 miles.  I'm doing this to check on my nutrition and see if it is somewhat dialed in. I'm still far enough out if it doesn't work that I can make changes, that is why I'm doing it now. 

Breakfast-oatmeal and banana
Before swim-gel
On my bike I'll have my aero bottle (24oz) w/ 2 sccops of accelerade 240 cal total. I'll have my other bottle with the same thing.
My plan is to drink one bottle each for the first hour. That will be 240 cal in each one, then take a gel every 30 min, so an additional 200 cal, so that totals 440 cal each for the first 2 hours.
The last hour (plan on biking 19 or so mph), I plan to switch to water at an "aid station" and continue the gel every 30. That will mean the last hour on the bike 2 gels, and to supplement for drinking just water, add in a bag of GU chomps.
Run-gel and fluid every 30 depending on how I feel

Now my question is that I'm trying to determine is that for the first 2 hours I will be drinking accelerade only, no just straight water. Has anyone else done this and has it affected you? The reason I'm doing this is because race day I plan on having just the same two bottles on the bike with accelerade, and then throw the empty one out the last stop (mile 45) of the bike. I have yet to chase gels with accelerade. Anyone else done that before?

Anyone got any comments, that would be great. Really want to try to get this right this weekend.

Everyone is different but IMO, you are getting too many cals and too little fluids. You definitely need more just straight fluid on the bike. I would recommend cutting your cals to approx 300 an hour.. maybe you can do one bottle with enough accelerade to make this happen. Then you could refill the aero bottle on the fly with water at aid stations to make sure you get enough fluid.

Also, I think you said you're doing Texas.. Accelerade tastes like when it gets hot. Insulated bottles for sure!

2012-03-09 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That is hilarious!! I posted the word 'azz' on the previous post and it removed it automatically!

Anyways, what does everyone else have on tap this weekend?

I am a bit under the weather, unfortunately, so the BIG weekend I had planned is likely not happening

I'm already aggravated that I'm going to miss two sessions today... hope everything resolves quickly!

Edited by ATLrunr 2012-03-09 12:50 PM
2012-03-09 1:17 PM

User image

Yeah he printed out a sheet with my calculating HR zones based on predicted VT HR. It broke also broke it down into 5 zones for me. It also gave me my ventilatory threshold heart rate all broken down.

Nah, I'm not doing TX, I'm doing Charleston HIM in April, so it will still be pretty cool.

Okay I'll drop down to 300 on calories, either not taking in gels or lessen the amount of accelerade. I'm just trying to figure it out since I plan on race day only carrying two bottles, one aero, one on the frame, so my plan was for both of those to be filled with accelerade then when I finish one off, grab a water at a water stop.  So I was figuring during the bike that would be 48 oz with accelerade and then 24 oz of water after I've downed one of the accelerade. So that sounds like not enough fluid?

2012-03-09 1:26 PM

User image

Expert

I use Infinit, but I can usually get through a HIM with drinking only the Infinit (and no straight water).  However, when I did IMFL, I did have water at some of the aid stations just because I got tired of the sweet taste of Infinite.  I am a smaller sized female, but I generally try to drink one bottle of Infinit per hour (which is a little over 200 calories).  Based on my weight, etc. this was the formula made for me and it seems to work very well for me.  

Doing your practice this weekend is a great idea and you will know if it will work for you or not.  

As for me, I'll be in yet another convention center this weekend watching my daughter play volleyball.  I think it may actually be ok this weekend and it is going to be cold and rainy all weekend anyway.  Hopefully I can hit the hotel gym a time or two.  What fun!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  

of 14