BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-02-08 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4613692

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed
kate2014 - 2013-02-07 9:07 PM

Great training everybody! Keep it up!

Also, question for anyone, I have more than that 1 run logged for the past week (thurs-wed), any idea why it didn't show up in the log?

Been a busy few days + out of town + sick, but I'm feeling better and back to training. Got my longest run (8 miles) on tap for this weekend, wish me luck!

Have a great friday everyone!

Do you mean on your log and it didn't show up as a pink day? If so, I sometimes forget to hit "save and return to blog". The workout isn't saved if you just jump to a different area.

2013-02-09 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran

Had a good brick this morning.  60 minutes on the trainer and then a fast 3.3 mile run.  Felt good.  Super frustrated with the bike experience though.  I worked hard on the bike....a good, strong effort, very appropriate for a brick workout.  The new bike computer I have only tracked me at 10.25 miles.  Maddening.  Makes me feel like I'm making no progress and I'm a wimpy little girl.  CH is going to check the callibration on it.  So, to you experts out there, how reliable is the mileage on those things?  How do I know where I stand and what kind of progress I'm making?  I do a spin class and the spin bike tracks 20 miles in 45 minutes.  I get on my trainer and it tracks me 10 miles in 60 minutes.  Is the reality somewhere in the middle?

Oh well...at least I don't run like a wimpy little girl and I don't need a stupid computer to tell me how far I've gone.  Bleh.  I'm grumpy about it.

2013-02-09 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4615715

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
DaDooRunRun - 2013-02-09 10:23 AM

So, to you experts out there, how reliable is the mileage on those things?  How do I know where I stand and what kind of progress I'm making?  I do a spin class and the spin bike tracks 20 miles in 45 minutes.  I get on my trainer and it tracks me 10 miles in 60 minutes.  Is the reality somewhere in the middle?

Oh well...at least I don't run like a wimpy little girl and I don't need a stupid computer to tell me how far I've gone.  Bleh.  I'm grumpy about it.

I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so here goes.  As far as I know the only way to tell how accurate your computer is is to compare it to something else that you know to be accurate.  Do you know someone you can go for a ride with that also has a bike computer (or does weather by you inhibit this)?  Or if you have a gps watch that would work to compare to as well.  Only you can judge but based on the information you provide I would assume/hope something is off on your computer.  That having been said, I don't think that spinning and cycling is quite a 1:1 comparison.  
2013-02-09 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4615715

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2013-02-09 12:23 PM

Had a good brick this morning.  60 minutes on the trainer and then a fast 3.3 mile run.  Felt good.  Super frustrated with the bike experience though.  I worked hard on the bike....a good, strong effort, very appropriate for a brick workout.  The new bike computer I have only tracked me at 10.25 miles.  Maddening.  Makes me feel like I'm making no progress and I'm a wimpy little girl.  CH is going to check the callibration on it.  So, to you experts out there, how reliable is the mileage on those things?  How do I know where I stand and what kind of progress I'm making?  I do a spin class and the spin bike tracks 20 miles in 45 minutes.  I get on my trainer and it tracks me 10 miles in 60 minutes.  Is the reality somewhere in the middle?

Neither are accurate. Spinning machines tend to read high, and trainers low. Once you get an equivalent ride outside, you will be able to compare and get an idea where you are at. I'm about 20% slower for the same level of effort on my trainer.

That said, make sure you set the bike computer for the proper tire size.
2013-02-09 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

And we're back in business.  Got my bike all not sure I noticed a difference in how aerodynamic I was, but I noticed a huge difference in how my legs were used while pedaling.  I only went 12 miles (it was my first ride in 2 weeks and today is long run day after all) but my legs didn't feel like jello afterwards and walking felt much more 'normal' than it used to after a bike ride.  Looking forward to doing a brick and seeing how much it affects my run afterwards.

Actually the ride went great, and it was faster than I've ever gone.  On flat land without wind I was averaging probably 21.5mph, maybe 22.  That's awesome for me.  My overall average including having to stop or slow done a bunch of times for traffic was 18.3 mph.  But the biggest difference was not the aero bars or the shoes, it was actually the tires.  How come none of you told me I was supposed to inflate my tires?  Just kidding.  But seriously, I had meant to before but never got around to it, I finally bought a tire pump with a gauge this morning and realized that I had been riding around with dramatically underinflated tires before.  Having the tires inflated properly made a huge and immediate impact.  Between that, the new bars, the shoes and pedals, it was a great first ride.

This Thursday I have an appointment to go to a shop to do a basic bike fit.  And I'm sure I haven't adjusted the gears properly, so when it gets closer to race time I'm going to ask a guy from work who used to own a bike shop to help me out with a tune up.

Attachments
----------------
image.jpeg (95KB - 19 downloads)
2013-02-10 3:50 AM
in reply to: #4615839

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
jmholzman - 2013-02-10 8:49 AM

And we're back in business.  Got my bike all not sure I noticed a difference in how aerodynamic I was, but I noticed a huge difference in how my legs were used while pedaling.  I only went 12 miles (it was my first ride in 2 weeks and today is long run day after all) but my legs didn't feel like jello afterwards and walking felt much more 'normal' than it used to after a bike ride.  Looking forward to doing a brick and seeing how much it affects my run afterwards.

Actually the ride went great, and it was faster than I've ever gone.  On flat land without wind I was averaging probably 21.5mph, maybe 22.  That's awesome for me.  My overall average including having to stop or slow done a bunch of times for traffic was 18.3 mph.  But the biggest difference was not the aero bars or the shoes, it was actually the tires.  How come none of you told me I was supposed to inflate my tires?  Just kidding.  But seriously, I had meant to before but never got around to it, I finally bought a tire pump with a gauge this morning and realized that I had been riding around with dramatically underinflated tires before.  Having the tires inflated properly made a huge and immediate impact.  Between that, the new bars, the shoes and pedals, it was a great first ride.

This Thursday I have an appointment to go to a shop to do a basic bike fit.  And I'm sure I haven't adjusted the gears properly, so when it gets closer to race time I'm going to ask a guy from work who used to own a bike shop to help me out with a tune up.

That sounds fantastic Joe. Anything that makes you go faster is good, but it sounds like you have a number of things going on all at the same time. I can't wait to find the cash to buy some aero bars. I know what I'm going to buy its just not a priority until after my upcoming holiday. Yep, I am heading to the USA for a couple of weeks. Anyway, I'm glad you can get riding again.

2013-02-10 3:55 AM
in reply to: #4615813

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
ransick - 2013-02-10 7:59 AM

Neither are accurate. Spinning machines tend to read high, and trainers low. Once you get an equivalent ride outside, you will be able to compare and get an idea where you are at. I'm about 20% slower for the same level of effort on my trainer.

I agree. Based on the numbers I thought the spin bike sounded to fast and the trainer too slow to be realistic. Mike, do you know if the same is true for treadmills? I always find it MUCH harder to run at my regular pace on a commercial treadmill.

2013-02-10 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4616113

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-02-10 3:55 AM

I agree. Based on the numbers I thought the spin bike sounded to fast and the trainer too slow to be realistic. Mike, do you know if the same is true for treadmills? I always find it MUCH harder to run at my regular pace on a commercial treadmill.

I don't know about treadmills. They may be more accurate and the difference might be your stride is shorter on the treadmill since yor space is constricted. The treadmill seems harder to me as well.
2013-02-10 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
cadnams - 2013-02-10 1:55 AM

Neither are accurate. Spinning machines tend to read high, and trainers low. Once you get an equivalent ride outside, you will be able to compare and get an idea where you are at. I'm about 20% slower for the same level of effort on my trainer.That said, make sure you set the bike computer for the proper tire size.
Not that it will provide a definitive answer for you but the person in this current thread has the same question: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-02-11 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Coach Hubby is surely trying to kill me.  The bike workout he assigned me today was a killer!  My legs are Fatigued!  Did you catch that?  Fatigued with a capital F! 

HOpe you are all well and training hard!

Jax

2013-02-11 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Second ride on the new bike today, 20 miles with a couple small hills.  Went great.  Seat bones hurt a little, need more practice and looking forward to the fit on Thursday.  Averaged about 18.5 mph.

2013-02-11 7:39 PM
in reply to: #4618178

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2013-02-11 6:55 PM

Coach Hubby is surely trying to kill me.  The bike workout he assigned me today was a killer!  My legs are Fatigued!  Did you catch that?  Fatigued with a capital F! 

HOpe you are all well and training hard!

Jax

Awesome! Sounds like great training.
2013-02-11 7:44 PM
in reply to: #4618222

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-02-11 7:36 PM

Second ride on the new bike today, 20 miles with a couple small hills.  Went great.  Seat bones hurt a little, need more practice and looking forward to the fit on Thursday.  Averaged about 18.5 mph.

Nice ride!
2013-02-11 11:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Hey hope everyone is doing well. I had a good week of training this past week. Mt sit bones are a bit sore as I increased my time in the saddle of the weekend. I need to get my tail use to sitting on a bike for longer than 45 minutes. My run on Sunday was much better than last week. Avg 12:20 for each mile and a bit longer than last weekend.

Went skiing with the family yesterday as well, so all the activities have added up to sore legs today. Still did a very short run to keep up with my plan as much as possible.

I found an interesting article on treadmill running vs road running. I do set my treadmill at a 1% incline, to even things out but....
http://www.livestrong.com/article/83376-treadmill-vs.-road/

Happy training all!!
2013-02-12 5:43 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Well, I have just signed up for my first half marathon in July. I figure it will be a good thing to aim for during the triathlon off season, and will force me to focus on my weakest link, running. And I've always just wanted to do one.

Unlike triathlons I don't think I will find the HM much fun, but will be good for me, physically and mentally.

Guess I'd better get used to running in the rain As I'll be training through winter (I dont much like gyms and treadmills)...!
2013-02-12 5:51 AM
in reply to: #4618436

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
chmoore2 - 2013-02-12 4:11 PM

Hey hope everyone is doing well. I had a good week of training this past week. Mt sit bones are a bit sore as I increased my time in the saddle of the weekend. I need to get my tail use to sitting on a bike for longer than 45 minutes. My run on Sunday was much better than last week. Avg 12:20 for each mile and a bit longer than last weekend.

Went skiing with the family yesterday as well, so all the activities have added up to sore legs today. Still did a very short run to keep up with my plan as much as possible.

I found an interesting article on treadmill running vs road running. I do set my treadmill at a 1% incline, to even things out but....

Happy training all!!

That's awesome. It will keep getting better every time...

Where did you ski? I'm heading to Tahoe shortly for the first time in years.

2013-02-12 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
cadnams - 2013-02-10 4:55 AM

Neither are accurate. Spinning machines tend to read high, and trainers low. Once you get an equivalent ride outside, you will be able to compare and get an idea where you are at. I'm about 20% slower for the same level of effort on my trainer. That said, make sure you set the bike computer for the proper tire size.

My DH and I talk about the treadmill vs. outside running all the time.  We both find it harder and that it takes longer on a treadmill.  SO...given the fancy Garmin 910XT he got me for my birthday, with the foot pod, I did a little test last week.  I found that on the treadmill, at 3.0 miles, my garmin/footpod registered 3.15 miles.  I calibrated it for my stride so it should be fairly accurate.  So it's a little off but not as much as I thought. 

But I still think the effort on the treadmill is definitely harder for me...I suspect because as Mike stated, I unconciously alter my stride because of the perception of the space on a treadmill.  I usually run on a treadmill with a 0.5% or 1% incline.

So I've actually come to prefer running outside....but still, it doesn't seem to be getting much easier for me the longer I train My half marathon is only 6 weeks away and my longest run so far has been 7 miles, yikes! I'm aiming to get to 10 and then just hoping the excitement of the event will carry me through the last 3, fingers crossed!

2013-02-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4618541

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

cadnams - 2013-02-12 3:43 AM

Well, I have just signed up for my first half marathon in July. I figure it will be a good thing to aim for during the triathlon off season, and will force me to focus on my weakest link, running. And I've always just wanted to do one. Unlike triathlons I don't think I will find the HM much fun, but will be good for me, physically and mentally. Guess I'd better get used to running in the rain As I'll be training through winter (I dont much like gyms and treadmills)...!

Call me a young northern hemispherean, but I love this.  I find this hard to believe, but I've not yet interacted enough with anyone from the southern hemisphere for the topic of seasons to come up, and I get endless enjoyment out of hearing July, off season, and winter in the same breath.

Also, have fun in Tahoe!  I love it up there.  I only live a couple hours away so I try to make it up there a couple times a year.

Edited by jmholzman 2013-02-12 11:36 AM
2013-02-12 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4619009

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Ybeal - 2013-02-12 9:00 AM

So I've actually come to prefer running outside....but still, it doesn't seem to be getting much easier for me the longer I train My half marathon is only 6 weeks away and my longest run so far has been 7 miles, yikes! I'm aiming to get to 10 and then just hoping the excitement of the event will carry me through the last 3, fingers crossed!

I did my HM last November and was not too far off of where you are at, distance-wise, at 6 weeks out.  I wasn't logging workouts at that time so I can't reference specifics, but I was trying to follow Runner's World's 10 week 1:50+ HM program (??www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-150-plus-half-marathon-schedules/99.html) so 6 weeks out I must have been at about 8 miles for my long run.  My longest run, per the schedule, was one 12 mile run two weeks out.  I ended up finishing at an 8:32 min/mile pace, which I was very happy with.

2013-02-12 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4618546

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-02-12 5:51 AM

chmoore2 - 2013-02-12 4:11 PM

Happy training all!!

That's awesome. It will keep getting better every time...

Where did you ski? I'm heading to Tahoe shortly for the first time in years.

I'm heading to Breckenridge in a month myself. Like skiing but love being outside in the mountains more.
2013-02-12 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4619009

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-02-12 11:00 AM

cadnams - 2013-02-10 4:55 AM

Neither are accurate. Spinning machines tend to read high, and trainers low. Once you get an equivalent ride outside, you will be able to compare and get an idea where you are at. I'm about 20% slower for the same level of effort on my trainer. That said, make sure you set the bike computer for the proper tire size.

My DH and I talk about the treadmill vs. outside running all the time.  We both find it harder and that it takes longer on a treadmill.  SO...given the fancy Garmin 910XT he got me for my birthday, with the foot pod, I did a little test last week.  I found that on the treadmill, at 3.0 miles, my garmin/footpod registered 3.15 miles.  I calibrated it for my stride so it should be fairly accurate.  So it's a little off but not as much as I thought. 

But I still think the effort on the treadmill is definitely harder for me...I suspect because as Mike stated, I unconciously alter my stride because of the perception of the space on a treadmill.  I usually run on a treadmill with a 0.5% or 1% incline.

You can definitely finish a half marathon if you can run 10 miles. The last 5k might be rough, but you can finish. Do you have a run/walk plan in mind or run the entire race.

2013-02-12 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4618222

User image

Veteran

jmholzman - 2013-02-11 8:36 PM Second ride on the new bike today, 20 miles with a couple small hills.  Went great.  Seat bones hurt a little, need more practice and looking forward to the fit on Thursday.  Averaged about 18.5 mph.

Nice job - May The Legs Be With You!

2013-02-12 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi All,

I set a new WORLD RECORD today, (ok, it's Tom's world, work with me here people LOL)  I did 6.3 miles outside today. Took me 1 hour, 38 minutes doing a run/walk.  Like Yvonne, I have my first ever HM just under 8 weeks.  I still can't run 3 miles non stop, but I happy.  "I'm not dead YET"  Legs don't feel to bad so maybe I will make it after all.

May The Legs Be With You!

Tom

2013-02-12 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Another episode of Tempo Run Tuesday! In today's episode, I did 4 miles with the double jogging stroller and 60 lbs worth of kids in 29:26. Woohoo!

Edited by jmholzman 2013-02-12 9:06 PM
2013-02-12 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4619896

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
TomsTri-ing - 2013-02-12 5:45 PM

Hi All,

I set a new WORLD RECORD today, (ok, it's Tom's world, work with me here people LOL)  I did 6.3 miles outside today. Took me 1 hour, 38 minutes doing a run/walk.  Like Yvonne, I have my first ever HM just under 8 weeks.  I still can't run 3 miles non stop, but I happy.  "I'm not dead YET"  Legs don't feel to bad so maybe I will make it after all.

May The Legs Be With You!

Tom

Great job, keep up the good work!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30