BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-06-24 12:49 PM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- OPEN
I did the Pleasant Prairie Oly this weekend. Sunny and HOT!. Water temps great.
Race day weight: 157#

Swim/T1/Bike/T2/Run 2:43:52 (1.5K, 40K, 10K)
39:09 / 2:57 / 1:12:11 / 2:07 / 47:31

I immediately got anxiety in the water. Unreal! I thought I was well prepped as both the across the lake swims went very well
Bike, I decided to make up time, and I sure did. I targeted 1:20 and got 1:12:ish.

Onto the run my legs were overworked. I had to really push to keep running. At mile 3 I got a second wind - I started to give out high fives to passing runners and as I was passing runners telling them "good job - keep it up". Did I say it was HOT?!
Vey pleased with the performance tho. goal was to do < 2:45:00.

2013-06-24 6:03 PM
in reply to: t-royboy

User image

Chicago
Great job on your tri!

How did you get over the anxiety? It must of been something that you were not expecting.

I immediately got anxiety in the water. Unreal! I thought I was well prepped as both the across the lake swims went very well
Bike, I decided to make up time, and I sure did. I targeted 1:20 and got 1:12:ish.

Onto the run my legs were overworked. I had to really push to keep running. At mile 3 I got a second wind - I started to give out high fives to passing runners and as I was passing runners telling them "good job - keep it up". Did I say it was HOT?!

2013-06-24 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job on your race! You came in under your goal and it was HOT so that had to make you feel even better. Congratulations!

Originally posted by t-royboy

2013-06-24 8:33 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Extreme Veteran
I believe I have a 11-28 rear cassette on my bike too as Louisville was very hilly also. My LBS only suggested I go with that as it will help save some legs for the run.

Originally posted by tmoran80

I would not get caught up in gearing "brands". What I would suggest is changing out your rear cassette to an 11-28. It is gonna give you one more climbing gear and also a little more on those downhill to take advantage and maximize your free speed.

Originally posted by kruzmeister

Okay I have a question for those in the know about bikes.

My roadie is an Orbea Aqua TSR with Shimano Sora gearing. I have a compact double crankset 34x50 and 12-27 9 speed rear cogs.

It is looking very certain that I wont have the money to buy a TT bike with ultegra gearing before IMOZ, so I'm wondering if I should change the front crankset to a standard double or triple? Bare in mind the bike course of IMOZ is VERY hilly, but there are also a lot of downhills and some flats once you are out of Port Macquarie. I obviously want to get every advantage I can on my bike as it is my weakest leg.

I'm heading into the LBS tomorrow to have a chat with the guys, but they will probably tell me I'm wasting my money, but if it helps me to make the cut off well then its money well spent in my book. Also would you have any idea what something like that would cost? I've even thought about getting all of the Sora components changed over to 105.

Here's the specs to my bike http://www.orbea.com/au-en/bicycles/aqua-tsr/

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Have a good week everyone, cheers!

2013-06-24 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I still wonder how you wife handles your crazy schedule.

That is so cool that you were able to assist your para-triathlete. There is nothing saying these guys/gals can't participate and that just shows that they can. I am going to see if there is a Dare2Tri group around here that I can help with.

I guided a para-triathlete for the first time at the race and it was awesome. The guy I was with has a spinal cord injury so he is paralyzed from the chest down (no core muscles). This guy swam 800 yards on his back just pushing himself through the water dragging his body behind him. I just swam with him and tried to keep him as straight as possible. I was in complete awe and of his determination. We were out there for 40 minutes. I told him after while on the bike that I would rather swim two back to back IM swims then do what he just did. I biked with him then another guide stayed with him on the run. The Dare2Tri group is just awesome and every time I work with them I realize two things 1) how much we all take for granted everyday. 2) How much I love this sport.

2013-06-24 9:57 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Troy - Nice job on the triathlon!

Tim - I think it is awesome how you give back like that, I wish they had something like that over here, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Tim & KTC - Also thanks for the advice re changing out the rear cassette, that will prob be the cheapest option anyway.

I have to put my bike in for a service and for new tyres anyway so I'll get them to do it then. I've found some awesome hills around near home, don't know what gradient they are, but I know my car struggles with them, haha, so I think I'll be doing a lot of bike work on them. Our triathlon club's bike course is also short but with two hideous climbs, one steep and short and the other long and drawn out, so I'll prob use it for hill repeats and practicing cornering. I don't think I'll be spending much time on my trainer, other than squeezing in a weekly spin. I'd prefer to ride outside and get stronger on the hills.

2013-06-25 9:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team. Guess what Todd - you are crazy - we are all crazy but I love it!!!!!

Originally posted by ettringite23

Thanks!

My neighbors think I am crazing. I practiced my transitions three times tonight. I put on my wetsuit, cap, and goggles and then run around the block and transition in my garage. Bike around the block, transition to run, and finish with run around the block

Edited by kcgolf 2013-06-25 9:54 AM
2013-06-25 10:00 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
TROYBOY - nice race my friend. Just keep working on the open water swims - you bike is incredible.

KC

2013-06-25 10:05 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team.

TIM - I don't know what to say other than - you are an amazing person and I am glad you are leading the group - you rock my friend and I want you to know I appreciate you being there for us.

If anyone can make your schedule work for both your A races it will be you and we will be here to help.

KC

Man did I have a crazy weekend. My daughters 6th birthday was on Friday so I took the day off and snuck in a 35 mile ride early morning. Then it was cleaing and yard work all morning for the party. Those parties just wipe me out. Saturday we played a wedding a north of Milwaukee so I jad to leave at 2:00pm. Setting up was a nightmare and we had issues with our PA system. I handle all of that for the band so I was stressing like crazy to make it work - all while ahving to MC the dinner portion of the event in another room. Got it going with 10 minutes to spare haha. We played until 12:15am then packed up and I was on the road at 1:30am. Drove to Pleasant Prairie, WI for the Pleasant Prairie Tri which started at 6:30am. Got there at 2:45am and pulled int o the parking lot to catch some sleep. Triathlon people are CRAZY and started showing up at 4:00am and woke me up so I basically got 1 hour of "sleep" in the back of my car.

I guided a para-triathlete for the first time at the race and it was awesome. The guy I was with has a spinal cord injury so he is paralyzed from the chest down (no core muscles). This guy swam 800 yards on his back just pushing himself through the water dragging his body behind him. I just swam with him and tried to keep him as straight as possible. I was in complete awe and of his determination. We were out there for 40 minutes. I told him after while on the bike that I would rather swim two back to back IM swims then do what he just did. I biked with him then another guide stayed with him on the run. The Dare2Tri group is just awesome and every time I work with them I realize two things 1) how much we all take for granted everyday. 2) How much I love this sport.

Todd also did the race and we tried to meet up but t was pretty crazy in the morning. It sounds like he had a great race though.

Chicago Marathon training starts today. I just keep piling them on haha. Not sure how I am gonna make this work with both 70.3 trainign until July 21 and Chicago Marathon. They are both my "A" races for the year and I am bound and determined to break 4 hours at Chicago so I wil ljust have to deal with it for few weeks.
2013-06-25 10:16 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team.

Have a few minutes to catch up with everyone and say hello this morning. I had a great race this weekend up here in Northern Ontario - the Muskoka 51.50 in Huntsville. Time 3:06:27. Swim 34:43 T1 2:46 (long run to the bikes and I always struggle with getting that wet suit off and ready for the ride) Bike 1:28:22 (relentlessly hilly), T2 1:16 ( I had to stop and pee , Run 59:22 (again very hilly but I was very happy with it.

So after a great day with new friends at a race I will definitely come do again in a great part of my home province I decided to just do a short 30 km bike to spin the legs a bit and spend a good part of the day relaxing on the dock by the lake. Late in the afternoon I was finished relaxing and on my way back up to the cottage I am renting I step off the dock and go down like I was shot, turned my ankle, heard the crunch and got the brutal pain. After rolling around on the ground for about 5 minutes I managed to limp back to the cottage and immediately started to ice and compress. I slept ok, kept the ankle elevated, have iced again this morning and it is sore, swollen and bruised. I am heading into Huntsville right now to find a physio to have a look at it.

I am not going to kid you team - this may be a major set back on my ramp up to IM Mont Tremblant - I will keep you all posted. I will try to remain positive but sitting and resting does not suit me and I have never twisted my ankle like this before - I am worried.

Will keep you posted.

KC
2013-06-25 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Well first off great job on your race - sounds like you had a great vacation with the cottage and renting. I saw some of your pics on Facebook and it looked really fun. Secondly - so sorry to hear about your ankle. Sprains do heal quickly with correct rest. I would definitely lay off the running for a while - maybe do some pool running. I wouldn't get too worried - you still have plenty of ways to keep up your fitness with biking and swimming. You will be fine - hopefully the doc just says it is a sprain and orders some rest. Keep us up to date with what is going on!

Originally posted by kcgolf

Hi Team.

Have a few minutes to catch up with everyone and say hello this morning. I had a great race this weekend up here in Northern Ontario - the Muskoka 51.50 in Huntsville. Time 3:06:27. Swim 34:43 T1 2:46 (long run to the bikes and I always struggle with getting that wet suit off and ready for the ride) Bike 1:28:22 (relentlessly hilly), T2 1:16 ( I had to stop and pee , Run 59:22 (again very hilly but I was very happy with it.

So after a great day with new friends at a race I will definitely come do again in a great part of my home province I decided to just do a short 30 km bike to spin the legs a bit and spend a good part of the day relaxing on the dock by the lake. Late in the afternoon I was finished relaxing and on my way back up to the cottage I am renting I step off the dock and go down like I was shot, turned my ankle, heard the crunch and got the brutal pain. After rolling around on the ground for about 5 minutes I managed to limp back to the cottage and immediately started to ice and compress. I slept ok, kept the ankle elevated, have iced again this morning and it is sore, swollen and bruised. I am heading into Huntsville right now to find a physio to have a look at it.

I am not going to kid you team - this may be a major set back on my ramp up to IM Mont Tremblant - I will keep you all posted. I will try to remain positive but sitting and resting does not suit me and I have never twisted my ankle like this before - I am worried.

Will keep you posted.

KC

2013-06-25 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Interesting article I found today on Time Vs. Distance. I used to be all distance but the last two years have switched to time and I think has helped me stay injury free. Interesting point of view on incorporating both during different phases of your training though:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/06/training/should-you-run-by-...

What are you guys currently training with - Time or Distance?
2013-06-25 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Not sure how handy you are Simone but I would highly recommend just using the money to buy the tool you need to change your cassette then it gives you the flexibility to swap them any time you want depending on what type of course you are riding. It is a fairly simple procedure:

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Rear-Cassette

I have to put my bike in for a service and for new tyres anyway so I'll get them to do it then. I've found some awesome hills around near home, don't know what gradient they are, but I know my car struggles with them, haha, so I think I'll be doing a lot of bike work on them.

2013-06-25 9:33 PM

User image

Chicago
Hello Team,

It is good to be back from vacation. My family and I had a great time.

I've had little time to catch up with everyone but it seems like everyone is doing great. I did almost all that I planned on doing as far as training is concerned during my vacation. Now it's time to bring it all together. I have about 3 weeks for my first tri of the year. I feel ready but I still need to test the brick workouts which I will do during the next two weeks.

I did some open water swimming and I believe it will help during the race. Now if I could only keep my anxiety down.

KC, Great job on your tri. It appears to of been a tough course.
2013-06-26 3:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Yep carrying the 'crazy gene' is a definite must to be a triathlete, haha!

Hi Team. Guess what Todd - you are crazy - we are all crazy but I love it!!!!!

Originally posted by ettringite23

Thanks!

My neighbors think I am crazing. I practiced my transitions three times tonight. I put on my wetsuit, cap, and goggles and then run around the block and transition in my garage. Bike around the block, transition to run, and finish with run around the block

2013-06-26 3:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Following the IronFink plan, as you know runs and bikes are time, but because I am very slow I am also weary of covering enough distance that I am not under trained also.. I mean a 6 hour ride for a guy whose average speed is 30kph is a LOT different in distance to a 6 hour ride for me at 22 kph.. So I am trying to find a 'somewhere in between' using the paces I would like to set at IMOZ so I can make the cutoffs.

Interesting article I found today on Time Vs. Distance. I used to be all distance but the last two years have switched to time and I think has helped me stay injury free. Interesting point of view on incorporating both during different phases of your training though:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/06/training/should-you-run-by-...

What are you guys currently training with - Time or Distance?

2013-06-26 3:29 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Welcome back Gil, glad you and the family had a good time on your holiday. Good luck with the lead up to your first race of the season. As far as anxiety goes, I really think the only thing that quashes it is experience and even then race nerves are race nerves. I have an anxiety disorder so I freak over everything, haha! But I have found with my local races I am not so anxious because I know the environment and what to expect, familiarity really helps me. If this is a race you have not done before and it is possible to do so, try doing a mini try, or at the very least, bike and run the course and know where the swim will take place. Little things like that have helped me deal with race days.

Originally posted by gdelamora

Hello Team,

I've had little time to catch up with everyone but it seems like everyone is doing great. I did almost all that I planned on doing as far as training is concerned during my vacation. Now it's time to bring it all together. I have about 3 weeks for my first tri of the year. I feel ready but I still need to test the brick workouts which I will do during the next two weeks.

I did some open water swimming and I believe it will help during the race. Now if I could only keep my anxiety down.

2013-06-26 3:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Thanks Tim, actually I'm not that handy, hahaha. I can teach everything to do with cameras and photography but I'm a total noob when it comes to bike maintenance. But I have a mate who is going to go over all that stuff with me, so I can get myself out of trouble come IM day.

Actually I visited my LBS today and spoke with Peter the owner, he reckons my current set up should be sufficent for IMOZ. He knows the course and also knows the local hills and has put me onto some really decent climbs and circuits. He told me the main thing was to figure out my gearing and learn to change smoothly going up hill and also when out of the saddle so I don't drop my chain or lose momentum. I'm going to head out this Saturday and check out a couple of them on my long ride. I'll let you know how I go.

Not sure how handy you are Simone but I would highly recommend just using the money to buy the tool you need to change your cassette then it gives you the flexibility to swap them any time you want depending on what type of course you are riding. It is a fairly simple procedure:

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Rear-Cassette

I have to put my bike in for a service and for new tyres anyway so I'll get them to do it then. I've found some awesome hills around near home, don't know what gradient they are, but I know my car struggles with them, haha, so I think I'll be doing a lot of bike work on them.

2013-06-26 3:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
I am so sorry for your injury KC, man you have THE worst luck when it comes to injuring your legs! As others have said, if it is a sprain, it will heal pretty quickly, so you will not lose too much fitness, if any. the rest may do the ITB good and you can still swim and bike. Hang in there my friend, you'll smoke IM Mont Tremblant of that I have no doubt!!

Hi Team.

Will keep you posted.

KC
2013-06-26 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Yes but remember this is endurance racing and the key is to not do so much that you get injured. If you can do 6 hours on the bike you can do 7 or 8 hours on race day. I would suggest doing at least one 100 mile ride just to get it over with and know from a confidence standpoint that you can do it. Other than that stick with the times. My longest run during my IM training was only like 16 miles in 3 hours. People always freak out about that when they are training with time and feel they are slower but at the end of the day it has the same effect BUT the key is to stay in your HR zone. If you effectively train in the suggested zones you are making yourself an aerobic machine and can handle any distance at Zone 2 as long as the calories and fluids keep coming in your body. If you starts going for distance and are out there longer than what the plan calls for your risking burning out and injury. You will be fine!

Following the IronFink plan, as you know runs and bikes are time, but because I am very slow I am also weary of covering enough distance that I am not under trained also.. I mean a 6 hour ride for a guy whose average speed is 30kph is a LOT different in distance to a 6 hour ride for me at 22 kph.. So I am trying to find a 'somewhere in between' using the paces I would like to set at IMOZ so I can make the cutoffs.

2013-06-26 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Is your guy at the LBS a "roadie" or "triathlete"? Trust me you want that extra gearing if you have a hilly course. I will check out the elevations for your race. Also you should avoid standing while climbing unless you have no more gears left and feel like if you go any slower you will tip over haha. Standing while riding will spike your HR and burn up those legs. You should be spinning up those hills to save your legs for the run. That is why I ask what type of rider he is because roadies will not spin up as much on climbs and will just grind it out because they don't have to run a marathon after the ride. Trust me on this one. IMWI is considered one of the toughest IM courses because of the hills and the bike course. i learned so much while training for it. If you don't have the right gearing you will blow your legs out. If you want to make sure then just make mental notes of when you are out on those hilly training rides and if you find that you are running out of gears on the hills before you reach the peak then you need to swap to the 11-28.

Thanks Tim, actually I'm not that handy, hahaha. I can teach everything to do with cameras and photography but I'm a total noob when it comes to bike maintenance. But I have a mate who is going to go over all that stuff with me, so I can get myself out of trouble come IM day.

Actually I visited my LBS today and spoke with Peter the owner, he reckons my current set up should be sufficent for IMOZ. He knows the course and also knows the local hills and has put me onto some really decent climbs and circuits. He told me the main thing was to figure out my gearing and learn to change smoothly going up hill and also when out of the saddle so I don't drop my chain or lose momentum. I'm going to head out this Saturday and check out a couple of them on my long ride. I'll let you know how I go.

2013-06-26 9:59 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Expert
Glad you had a nice vacation. What race did you end up deciding to do? Just remember the swim anxiety is mostly before you get in the water and only lasts for a few minutes after the start but once you start and get in the groove you should be fine.

Hello Team,

2013-06-26 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

Congrats on a good race. I had a panic in the water once and it took me 10 miles in the bike route to get over it. I am impressed with your ability to overcome and make up time. Sounds to me like not only are you physically strong, you are also mentally tough! Great job!!!
2013-06-26 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

Hi Team.

Will keep you posted.

KC

Horrible news on the ankle! I have heard that bruising and swelling is a good sign that nothing is broken. Saying a prayer for you. A triathlete that can't work out is a miserabley unhappy triathlete.
2013-06-26 9:33 PM

User image

Chicago
Thanks for the advice Simone.

I just have to believe that I can do it. I believe that it is also anxiety because it' will be my first Olympic Tri. Lucky for me I know the area and it's close to my .house so I can drive over there and so some practice runs.

Welcome back Gil, glad you and the family had a good time on your holiday. Good luck with the lead up to your first race of the season. As far as anxiety goes, I really think the only thing that quashes it is experience and even then race nerves are race nerves. I have an anxiety disorder so I freak over everything, haha! But I have found with my local races I am not so anxious because I know the environment and what to expect, familiarity really helps me. If this is a race you have not done before and it is possible to do so, try doing a mini try, or at the very least, bike and run the course and know where the swim will take place. Little things like that have helped me deal with race days.

Hello Team,

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28