BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marvarnett's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-03-02 8:41 AM
in reply to: #708607

User image

Subject: RE: Marvarnett's Group - Full

Marvarnett - 2007-03-02 6:37 AM You mentioned that you lived by a performance store right? So would you be able to try them on? And what is your price range.But right of the bat, I think the Women's Genius 5 is for you. :P Seriously, what is your price range?

Did someone say Genius 5?  Where?  I want some of those!!!

My group is still wanting a challenge... are you guys still game?  We can always switch it up a bit.  Thoughts?  Ideas?

2007-03-02 9:30 AM
in reply to: #625456

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan

And here I was looking forward to dogging it for a week or so. Sure, I'm game, must admit it kept me going when I really didn't want to.

Besides we will kick your a$$ Cool

Edited by starcorp 2007-03-02 9:31 AM
2007-03-02 10:44 AM
in reply to: #708809

User image

starcorp - 2007-03-02 9:30 AM

And here I was looking forward to dogging it for a week or so. Sure, I'm game, must admit it kept me going when I really didn't want to.

Besides we will kick your a$$ Cool

Pffft.  All talk and no game.  Bring it.

2007-03-02 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
I am up for the challenge again. Shame our group can only get 3 or 4 guys to participate. But those that do, usually make their numbers.
2007-03-02 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Performance has a Forte Triathlon shoe normally 89 dollars for $49. No cleats, but guess that is normal. Doubt the sole is carbon, box doesn't say.

I would probably go to 120 dollars, I have to think about buying a wet suit as well.

My current Shimano shoes are size 45 and fit like a glove. Size 45 in the Forte fit more like a running shoe, had the thickness of my thumb between the end of my toes and the end of the shoe. They had other sizes as well, but not sure how a bike shoe should fit. First bike store said fit like a glove. Sometimes in the current shoes I get blisters on the top of my 4th toe as it is a slight hammer toe.
2007-03-03 2:01 PM
in reply to: #709928

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Cash,

In my opinion, it should fit snug, but not tight.  You want some play but not necessarily excess sliding.  Now that I've made that clear as mud.  A thumb worth I think is too much. 

In regards to the sole, you want it really stiff.  I don't think I've come across many shoes that aren't carbon soled, but the key is stiffness.  Cleats will run you about $15, so don't worry about that.  I just got new look cleats and paid like $12.  Minor investment.

You don't want your foot sliding too much because you'll develop hot spots.

2007-03-03 9:02 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Dan,

Hey, thanks for posting to my thread on being overwhelmed. I have been reading a bit of this mentor group and I have two observations: 1) I might be the only female and 2) I am more of the BEGINNER part of Beginnertriathlete.com. But what I lack in experience, I am make up for in determination!

MY STORY:
I am 30 years old and a stay at home mom to three boys, 4.5, 3, and 9 months. I am 5'2", 163 lbs. I wasn't an athlete in HS, I was a cheerleader which means I had a great body with little work. I haven't swam or biked since I was 10, and little experience with running. But I want that hot body back and I want to set a godly example to my boys on being fit and healthy. THis is my first season of doing triathlons. My husband really started this fitness movement in the family, and since I hang on his every word, I immediately jumped on. He's the runner and the researcher. I ask him questions, he goes online, find the answers, and tells me what to do. I have done two indoor triahtlons this season so far. They were a blast. I have put them in my race log.

But now I am have signed up for my first offical outdoor triathlon in June. I need to get serious with training and take ownership of my health. I just bought the book "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel. I looked into the Bible book, but I need something VERY basic. I got a new bike with all the trimings, goggles and a cap, and great running shoes. I may not know what I am doing, but I am going to look good doing it!

MY GOALS:
To do two outdoor triathlons this season. I aim to complete, not compete.
May 2007: Swim 400 yds, Bike 18, Run 3 (need to sign up for)
June 2007: Swim 500 yds, Bike 21, Run 5
To lose 20 pounds

MY NEEDS:
a good detailed training program
accountablity
time management
knowledge of terminology, bike usage, swim technique

I am glad to be here and I look forward to learning a lot from you!

Edited by my3sons 2007-03-03 9:05 PM
2007-03-04 12:30 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome Carrie!

There are some knowledgeable people here who are glad to share what they know.

I, like you, am pretty much in the beginner category. I have already asked a bunch of dumb questions and plan on asking more. They all get answered though.
2007-03-04 12:47 AM

User image

Expert
Random thoughts,

They make bike saddles just for women. The Terry Butterfly saddle and one by Specialized are very popular with many women. Women's hip bones are wider than mens and sometimes a wider saddle is more comfortable for them. It does take a couple of weeks of riding any saddle just to get your backside used to riding though. Everyone is sore the first few weeks.

See if you can find a dvd called Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin. You can buy it off Amazon for about 35 dollars or maybe your library has it. Its great for teaching beginner swimmers how to do freestyle. He also has a book, but watching the dvd really helps.

Freestyle is the most efficient way to swim for triathlons, but if you have a hard time breathing you can sidestroke, back stroke or breast stroke too. They use more energy, and use some extra leg power that you could use for the bike and run. But its better to use extra energy, than freak out during the swim.

On the bike, the big ring in front and little ring in back = bike goes faster, but harder to go up hills. These are the rings closest to your right foot.

Little ring in front, big ring in back = easier to go up hills, but you go slower. These are the rings closest to the center of the bike.

Cash

Edited by Cashmason 2007-03-04 12:48 AM
2007-03-04 7:22 AM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
Hey Carrie, welcome to the Mentor Group. Cool, my daughter has the same name.
2007-03-04 1:03 PM

User image

Does anyone have any ideas for a new challenge?

Welcome, Carrie!  If you would like to join us in a challenge please jump in!  If you are still a little unsure, that is fine too.  We just finished up a 3 week actual time-to-planned time challenge with my mentor group and we are looking to continue since it has been such a great motivator for both groups.

Welcome to BT and remember that absolutely NO QUESTION is stupid and everyone here is dedicated to making you feel welcome in the BT community.

Happy Training

2007-03-04 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Hours planned this week 6. Actual training 9 hours 13 minutes.

Today was 2 and half hours on the bike. First time in pace line, which was fun. First time riding with OC Velo bike club.

43 miles. Man I suck at hills. They dropped me on the hills but waited at the top for me. Dropped me with 4 miles to go on Pacific Coast Highway, and I never saw them again.
2007-03-04 2:57 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Dan or anyone,

I need help finding a plan for me. I am trying to decide which memebership to get. I was thinking of the Bronze but when looking at their plans, I want to do more than run 12 minutes a workout. I want one that will really push me.

I have already done 2 indoor sprints. I can run up to 6 miles. Any guesses?
2007-03-04 4:27 PM
in reply to: #710850

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

my3sons - 2007-03-04 3:57 PM Dan or anyone, I need help finding a plan for me. I am trying to decide which memebership to get. I was thinking of the Bronze but when looking at their plans, I want to do more than run 12 minutes a workout. I want one that will really push me. I have already done 2 indoor sprints. I can run up to 6 miles. Any guesses?

I like the motivation!  Here is the question, how many hours do you want to devote?  They vary in how many hours you have to devote.  Also keep in mind that the programs start at an easy level and progressively get harder.  Basically, a base period, some build periods and then peak.  So just because the 1st week is "easy" look at it as a whole.

Another option for you would be to pick one of the Olympic distance programs if you want more of a challenge.  You don't have to race an olympic distance, just train for one. 

2007-03-04 4:37 PM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan

I had a bronze membership & upgraded to silver for the additional training plans. There is lots to choose from. If you load one and don't really like it, you can always delete it and go to something else that may be more suitable.

There is a lot you can do to customize the plans. It comes with some experimentation; ask questions. Personally I downloaded an IM and then front loaded it with a HIM. Because its still too cold here I can't get the long rides in. I go in the week before, move things around, customize a few things, etc so it works with other commitments (like a job to live on). From there I do everything I can to make sure I get the sessions in. Figure if I start missing one here, one there, next .... you know the story.

The challage has been great. It's an extra motivator. Besides it's fun to tease TriOK.

2007-03-04 5:12 PM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan

Planned training for next week 13 hours, 45 minutes, yikes Cry

Oh well, have a taper week after that.

2007-03-04 5:32 PM
in reply to: #710457

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

my3sons - 2007-03-03 10:02 PM Dan, Hey, thanks for posting to my thread on being overwhelmed. I have been reading a bit of this mentor group and I have two observations: 1) I might be the only female and 2) I am more of the BEGINNER part of Beginnertriathlete.com. But what I lack in experience, I am make up for in determination! MY STORY: I am 30 years old and a stay at home mom to three boys, 4.5, 3, and 9 months. I am 5'2", 163 lbs. I wasn't an athlete in HS, I was a cheerleader which means I had a great body with little work. I haven't swam or biked since I was 10, and little experience with running. But I want that hot body back and I want to set a godly example to my boys on being fit and healthy. THis is my first season of doing triathlons. My husband really started this fitness movement in the family, and since I hang on his every word, I immediately jumped on. He's the runner and the researcher. I ask him questions, he goes online, find the answers, and tells me what to do. I have done two indoor triahtlons this season so far. They were a blast. I have put them in my race log. But now I am have signed up for my first offical outdoor triathlon in June. I need to get serious with training and take ownership of my health. I just bought the book "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel. I looked into the Bible book, but I need something VERY basic. I got a new bike with all the trimings, goggles and a cap, and great running shoes. I may not know what I am doing, but I am going to look good doing it! MY GOALS: To do two outdoor triathlons this season. I aim to complete, not compete. May 2007: Swim 400 yds, Bike 18, Run 3 (need to sign up for) June 2007: Swim 500 yds, Bike 21, Run 5 To lose 20 pounds MY NEEDS: a good detailed training program accountablity time management knowledge of terminology, bike usage, swim technique I am glad to be here and I look forward to learning a lot from you!

Welcome to the group!  Wow, three boys and two of them 1.5 years apart!  I can relate, my wife and I have two little boys 3 and 21 months.  They are a blast and like you I really got into triathlon to set an example for them.  I'm hoping that they will follow in my footsteps once they see how much fun it is. 

You joined a great group.  Dan is an excellent mentor with a lot of experience.

2007-03-05 12:36 AM

User image

Expert
I have a sprint tri this week. Do the times I expect to achieve in it count toward my planned work out?

Schedule calls for 3 1/2 hours, and I expect the race to take 100 minutes plus transition times. One transition is a half mile run uphill from the transition area to the pool.

Edited by Cashmason 2007-03-05 12:39 AM
2007-03-05 6:23 AM
in reply to: #711243

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Cashmason - 2007-03-05 1:36 AMI have a sprint tri this week. Do the times I expect to achieve in it count toward my planned work out?Schedule calls for 3 1/2 hours, and I expect the race to take 100 minutes plus transition times. One transition is a half mile run uphill from the transition area to the pool.
Cash,Every minute that you are exercising counts. That's the point. To get our lazy butts out there and get on it. I look forward to reading your race report and how you crushed people and got hardware! It's required to stay in the group.
2007-03-05 6:26 AM
in reply to: #711243

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
You betcha it counts. Have a great race!!!!
2007-03-05 8:24 AM

User image

triOK's Team:

No Mercy:  91.8%

kbkav:  ??? <----update your logs and I will fill this in

firstriguy:  90.2%

poke4christ:  100%

erjellum:  71.5%

gator22:  100%

tyroneNYC:  100%

willie05:  100%

shultzboy:  ??? <---I couldn't find where you posted your goal

gc150:  100%

triOK:  100%

Marvarnett's Team:

starcorp:  100%

mcole158:  94.4%

Cashmason:  100%

Marvarnett:  100%

2007-03-05 5:21 PM
in reply to: #711287

User image

Expert
Well I guess my A$$ is going to be out of the group next week end. Looking at last years results I am looking to be a firm middle of the pack'er.

Hard to guesstimate my times as everything around here is pretty flat, and the race will be hilly.
2007-03-05 5:42 PM
in reply to: #712430

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan

Just go out there and do the best you can. After its all over you will have a smile on your face. Its the endorphins I think.

Have fun Cool

Gee, I kinda like that guy with the shades!!!

2007-03-05 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Think the race is now out for Sunday as is training for a while.

Just crashed on the bike and my right arm knee and ankle are banged up and bloody and brake and shifter on the bike are now at a 45 degree angle and the handle bar tape is torn up.

Washed the cuts and used hydrogen peroxide on the them. Is there anything else I should do.

Just was leaning into a corner on the aerobars and hit a puddle followed immediately by loose dirt on the street.
2007-03-05 7:48 PM
in reply to: #712531

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Cashmason - 2007-03-05 7:41 PM Think the race is now out for Sunday as is training for a while. Just crashed on the bike and my right arm knee and ankle are banged up and bloody and brake and shifter on the bike are now at a 45 degree angle and the handle bar tape is torn up. Washed the cuts and used hydrogen peroxide on the them. Is there anything else I should do. Just was leaning into a corner on the aerobars and hit a puddle followed immediately by loose dirt on the street.

Cash,

First and foremost, I'm glad that you're ok.  Now banged up and bloody as in minor cuts or as in major damage?  Minor cuts and random blood are expected.  I wouldn't worry about the brake and shifters.  That's an easy fix.  Just take it to your LBS and they will replace the tape and put the shifters back where they should be.  Cheap and easy fix.

NOW...the major question. Did you bang your head?  If you did, get a new helmet.  Most helmet makers have a replacement thing that you only have to pay a reduced amount for a new one. 

As long as you got the cuts cleaned and nothing is swollen, then you're fine.  If you're swollen, then ice it.  And lots of Neosporin!!!

Never give up on the race until race morning my friend.  You spent the money, nothing says you can't go out there and still do it.  As long as you're not injured.  Plus, you still owe us a race report either way!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marvarnett's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18