BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-02-05 11:04 PM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
real quick, cause it is passed my bedtime.
1. I am not pregnant yet, we will have to try again this cycle. I do however get to have a beer and blue cheese before we start agian.
3. This weekend I was on a retreat at an old nun center, it was great but really NO TECHNOLOGY! It was nice to be off the grid.
2. challange of last week, I think I met it- 4 core workouts.
3. This week's challenge- nutrition and 4 workouts in low med and high intensity. I can do that.
I am food addict, I track all my food the same way I track exersise. Today for fruits and veggies I had a banana, orange, cottage cheese with strawberries, califower, swet potatoes, hambuger with veggies, chilli with veggies (the rest of my food for good measure- salt/candy free trail mix, piece of lemon bread and sugar free icecream with sugar free cookies).
I have a 5k on Sunday, getting excited! I hope it get warmer, atleast zero, I wonder if we will run if it this cold...? we will see.
Also look at my training logs, you will see that I have been working it out. I also like looking at your logs and leaving notes, I should be able to get back to that this week. BGT
be well.

2007-02-06 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Well, no swimming yet for me. But have no fear, there are 4 days of the week left, and I only have to do 3 sessions. So technically, it is feasible that I will complete the challenge. Unlikely, but still feasible. I’ve got the bike going as a fail-safe.

More fruits and veggies have been easy to work into the diet. Raisin cookies count as partial fruits, right? Something like 8 cookies = 1 fruit serving? Works for me.

MALPHH, nice going with Death Mountain. Let those thumbs go, though, before you squeeze them off. Your biceps might be sore because you’re not used to holding your arms up. Play with your form a bit, and just see what feels good. And nice job on the weights.

PHOENIX, it all gets easier the stronger you get. Trust me. But give your body time. Don’t be trying to push it hard every day. Sometimes a nice leisurely effort serves the body better than racing to the finish line.

MARK, welcome back. Now get to work and make us all proud.

JOSE, your karma needs a tune-up. Illness, and injury, and now illness again. I don’t know what you did to whom, but you better resolve it and soon!

BGT, you just leave me speechless. It’s the pregnancy thing, and I’m an old-fashioned guy, and so I’m just going to say “okay” and “good luck” and “go you.” But my ears did perk up hearing about your beer and blue cheese combination, and I have to just say, I’m intrigued by the taste combination. I might have to head to the store this weekend!

WATERGIRL, it takes time to get used to, and actually masochistically enjoy, that special feeling of numbness from being in the saddle for long periods of time. Ahhh. No words can explain it. Well, they can, and initially, they are words like "what" and "hey" and "whoa" and then turn into "tingle" and "throb" and "fall off." The riding stamina will develop, just like your swimming did. But I'd be interested in hearing how you handle a long ride, so pick a mileage and go for it.

So much for things here. Have a great day!

Edited by prof40 2007-02-06 6:23 PM
2007-02-06 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
Hey guys, would it still be possible for me to join in? I don't know if you just haven't updated the title or if you are still accepting, but I would love to join. I've already started my training for an Olympic Distance Tri coming up in June. I think this is going to be my first all out week of training. Anyway, let me know.
2007-02-06 9:51 PM

User image

Minneapolis
BGT, you just leave me speechless. It’s the pregnancy thing, and I’m an old-fashioned guy, and so I’m just going to say “okay” and “good luck” and “go you.” But my ears did perk up hearing about your beer and blue cheese combination, and I have to just say, I’m intrigued by the taste combination. I might have to head to the store this weekend!

speechless- why? very confusing.
pregnant, what makes you say you are old fashion. is it a girl/guy thing- referer to my first post, I like to put it all out there and I have little or no gender boundries.
When you are pregnant you can not have beer, uncooked meat or moldy cheese hence the blue cheese. I know beer and cheese will always taste better then cheese and wine anyday. back to tri training.

Today I ran at the Metrodome, mpls sports center/ home of the TWINS baseball team. They have free parking and only charge one dollar to run on the upper deck. And they have distance charts so you know how far you have gone down to the Km which is nice. I did not get to run as far as I wanted ( was hoping to do 3.16 miles) but still covered 2.37 miles. My time sucked too cause my water bottle was too big for my belt and then I had to stop for water, blah, blah, blah. I ran it was nice.
food: did not look on that page to get details on what I suppose to have yet but here is my report:
bagel/ cream cheese- nuts, bannana, can of soup with extra veggies added, microwave popcorn, orange, fries and cheeseburger (lots of veggies) from Wendy's (I hate fast food but had to run and then go back to work for 2 hours, no microwave access). I will also be having sugan free frozen yorgot and 2 sugar free cookies. so by my count- 2 friuts, 2 veggies
I am working on drinking water too. Someone told me you should drink half you weight in oz. of water a day- I would have to drin 104 oz. a day!! that is crazy!
I hope you are well. BGT
2007-02-07 8:37 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
I was just now actually able to squeeze into another group, but thanks anyway guys.

Zach
2007-02-07 5:53 PM
in reply to: #682397

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
poke4christ - 2007-02-07 9:37 AM

I was just now actually able to squeeze into another group, but thanks anyway guys.

Zach

Well, that was quick. I was rejected before I even had time to respond.

In the spirit of BGT, I'm going to freely admit and brag about all the horrible calories I've had today: 2 poptarts, 2 donuts, a baguette (just for me), pasta, a bagel, a 3 Musketeers bar. Lots of butter. Hmmm, I do miss carbs. Which means if I dare look at the scale tomorrow, I have to do some serious exercise in the morning.

But it was worth it.

2007-02-07 7:47 PM

User image

Minneapolis
had four fruits and three veggies today.
going to try to do an interval run tommrow and my long run on Sunday. I think this will be the first group challenge I complete even thorught I will not get done until Sunday (my week goes Sunday to Monday). gonna try to read logs from the team tommrow, hope you left good stuff to read.
BGT
2007-02-07 8:24 PM

User image

Minneapolis
did my homework, went to the site to see how many friuts and veggies I am suppose to be eating. I have met that part of the challange, I have had my recommend allotment of f/v four day this week ( starting on Sunday). It is good to know that even I can not to the athletic challagnes on time, I can still eat right. Irony for a food addict. BGT
2007-02-08 1:49 PM

User image

Sounds like everyone has tryed to work on the diet part of the challenge- GOOD JOB! Its funny how much easier it is to eat than it is to excercise....I am very impressed wtih the allcarb diet that the Professor had that one day as well. Glad to see we all have our weak points. I have weird weak points- like Wheat Thins, I could eat a whole box! The funny thing is , I put forth the challenge and then didnt bother to count my veggies until a few days ago. I think I have done it though m,t, we, and I have today yet to go.

I picked cycling for my focus sport of the week and have done 2 workouts of it so far- I did the interval one this am on my trainer and last about 1/2 hr. I made myself schedule a ride this weekend with my friend the amazing cyclist so I will be pushed for a long ride. But, it might rain (surprise surprise) so we have to see if we still go. However, A true Seattlelite doesnt pay attention to rain so i really should have no excuse.

Is everyone else surviving the cold out there in rest of the country??? You get extra bonus points just for leaving the house to go to the gym!

2007-02-08 10:16 PM

User image

Minneapolis
This blog feels a little BGT heavy, but so be it.
I got to the gym late (I know I work there) but missed out on the cardio machines (treadmills, bikes and ellipticals). Had to go to plan B- stairmaster and interval training with weights. I also gave up on weekly mentor group challange and also on my personal goal of running 9 miles. Not feeling defeated but adjusting to demands of life. As a side note, I thought the challange was to do any three exersies in slow, interval and endurance- not pick one and do the three levels, I made a plan to do all three, then after few days I re read and I was wrong, no time to re do.

I want to get back to a plan, right now I am lucy goosey, don't like it.
Swimming tommrow 12 laps and teaching, Saturday is a rest day and then 5k Sunday! They say it is going to be 20F. have no clue what to wear? Kinda wanna rock layers and the winter coat to stay warm! I was trying to do it in 43:00, but have decided to give myself 10 mintues for cold and more clothes.
Food, did 2 fruits and 3 veggies today.
have good one. BGT
2007-02-09 4:45 AM
in reply to: #684240

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-02-08 2:49 PM

Sounds like everyone has tryed to work on the diet part of the challenge- GOOD JOB! Its funny how much easier it is to eat than it is to excercise....I am very impressed wtih the allcarb diet that the Professor had that one day as well. Glad to see we all have our weak points. I have weird weak points- like Wheat Thins, I could eat a whole box! The funny thing is , I put forth the challenge and then didnt bother to count my veggies until a few days ago. I think I have done it though m,t, we, and I have today yet to go.

I picked cycling for my focus sport of the week and have done 2 workouts of it so far- I did the interval one this am on my trainer and last about 1/2 hr. I made myself schedule a ride this weekend with my friend the amazing cyclist so I will be pushed for a long ride. But, it might rain (surprise surprise) so we have to see if we still go. However, A true Seattlelite doesnt pay attention to rain so i really should have no excuse.

Is everyone else surviving the cold out there in rest of the country??? You get extra bonus points just for leaving the house to go to the gym!

Yeah, well, sometimes you just have to be a pig and eat to excess. And then say, "ok, that wasn't good."

Nice job on the bike. How long are you pushing for this weekend? An extra few minutes, or miles, or hills? Or intensity? Looking forward to seeing your log.

2007-02-09 4:59 AM
in reply to: #684755

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-02-08 11:16 PM

This blog feels a little BGT heavy, but so be it.
I got to the gym late (I know I work there) but missed out on the cardio machines (treadmills, bikes and ellipticals). Had to go to plan B- stairmaster and interval training with weights. I also gave up on weekly mentor group challange and also on my personal goal of running 9 miles. Not feeling defeated but adjusting to demands of life. As a side note, I thought the challange was to do any three exersies in slow, interval and endurance- not pick one and do the three levels, I made a plan to do all three, then after few days I re read and I was wrong, no time to re do.

I want to get back to a plan, right now I am lucy goosey, don't like it.
Swimming tommrow 12 laps and teaching, Saturday is a rest day and then 5k Sunday! They say it is going to be 20F. have no clue what to wear? Kinda wanna rock layers and the winter coat to stay warm! I was trying to do it in 43:00, but have decided to give myself 10 mintues for cold and more clothes.
Food, did 2 fruits and 3 veggies today.
have good one. BGT

So what happened to your 9 mile goal? How many did you do before you chucked it, and what went wrong this week that you're going to correct next time so you can hit the goal?

For example, I meant to swim 3 times this week. And I just never got my professorial backside to the pool. And the cause of the failure? Laziness. I mean, let's be honest. If I have time to do a crossword, I have time to swim.

I'm impressed with your planned swim. Is that the farthest you've done at one time? How does it compare to the swim portion of your first planned race?

As for the run -- brrr. Good luck. Seems like you should finish it in your goal time. I'm thinking you should pace yourself, but maybe in the last 1/2 mile you just open it up and fire those engines. I'm curious what you could do if you ended on a sprint. But if the roads are icy, don't be reckless, just run the right pace for the street conditions and have a good race.

Keep us posted of your efforts!

Edited by prof40 2007-02-09 5:01 AM
2007-02-09 5:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hi

Firstly, Watergirl, I must say that I have enjoyed this challenge hugely. Barring one day, that I shall detail below, I have stuck rigidly to the challenge and have eaten well on every day. It is interesting to me to feel better simply because of what I have eaten.

Plantar fasciitis was a good diagnosis, since confirmed by my Doctor, who is going to inject my heel (how painful does that sound) if it doesn’t get any better with gentle stretching and not exercising. Back to the yoga for a week or so. No swimming or running so out of every cloud etc…

Now then, as this is a forum for sharing all sorts of trials and tribulations as well as our exercising regimen, I have to confess that I slipped from the challenge on one day. I took the family to London to see the Sound of Music which I must say was fabulous and whilst that, in itself, was not a significant breach of the challenge (I don’t think it said that we were not to attend any camp musicals) what followed breached the rules in a spectacular way.

After singing along to Edelweiss and recording for the whole of the West End that the hills are, indeed, alive with the sound of music, we met up with my brother who has just bought a bar in London and we celebrated. Naturally I was thinking of you all so to each of you I dedicate a dish or a glass from the culinary experience that ensued.

Prof: For you I chose the wine. A fine bottle of Château de Puligny-Montrachet was a wonderfully crisp accompaniment to my starter. I always find this wine to be firm but well rounded, crisp and, on occasions, slightly fruity!

Phoenix: You were in my thoughts as I tucked into a platter of Rossmore Rock oysters. Known for their, ahem, positive effects on the dating arena I thought of you venturing forth in an environment that I, for one, am happy to have left behind.

Malphh: As I was dining with my brother (a gourmand of no small appetite), the oysters were followed by barbecued prawns of a size that would only be natural in Australia. Three of them, butterflied and basted in chilli, garlic and rock salt were accompanied by a bottle of very fine Australian sparkling wine, a Freycinet Radenti 1998 (between the three of us I hasten to add).

Jeng615: I carried on the fish theme with a wonderfully delicate langoustine and pea mousse with a whisper of a hollandaise mousseline on the edge. I thought of you as, whilst I was a student, the only touch of civilisation I had was through living with a chap whose only culinary contribution was the most fabulous salmon en croute drizzled with hollandaise. Oddly, it was the only thing he could cook! The last of the Radenti washed this down and we had a brief pause before the next course.

Jimbo: To you I dedicate my main course. The Beef Wellington emerged perfectly baked with crispy but delicate puff pastry, a firm but succulent sirloin within done absolutely to perfection. I had the honour of carving and with each slice I thought of the skill that you wield in ER and the time you spend there. You would have been impressed with the gusto with which I consumed my, rather large, portion. Nestling amongst the debris of the table was a bottle of Châteauneuf du Pape, blood red and full of body: bliss to the palate.

Watergirl: Guilt consuming me as to the distance I had placed between me and the challenge, I thought of you as I tucked into an elderflower champagne and lime zest sorbet. This seemingly innocuous confection not only revitalised my taste buds but was, in itself, akin to angels waltzing on my tongue. A reflection of the effect that your challenge had on me during the week.

BGT: I dedicate my dessert to you. I ordered a melting chocolate pudding. This was the dish that my other half had as her craving when she was pregnant with our twins. I really hope that you have lady luck with you when next you try. Sometimes the things that are hardest are the things most worth waiting for. Of the melting chocolate pudding all I can say is that the outside was crisp while the inside was an oozing pool of melted chocolate. This luscious creation was served hot with a frothy white chocolate sauce and homemade vanilla ice cream. Accompanied by a glass of Grgich Hills 2000 Zinfandel which was an unusual, but perfect, pairing.

As a word of warning my sister craved coal when she was pregnant!

To Eciones and Jose I dedicate the cheese board; a serving of such complexity and diversity that I could not begin to describe it with justice. Amongst the choices were Trehill, Devon Sage, Sweet Charlotte Celeste, Bakesey Meadow, Withybrook, Little Stinky and Blue Hills. They varied from rich and creamy blue veined apparitions to punchy little offerings that were wrapped in muslin or nettles. I enjoyed morsels of all of them with oat biscuits made using my mother’s recipe and washed them down with some excellent 1973 Quinta de Terra Feita, from my own cellar no less.

And finally to coffee. With each petit four I thought of Megan, the newbie to our group, for no other reason than I used to live with a lovely lass called Megan who made the most beautiful chocolate delicacies. She, and her confection, rest well in my head together, as you all did during the course of our meal.

Wisely, I left my car at Richard’s bar and got a cab home.

Incidentally the reason for this meal was to celebrate the fact that both myself and my brother have got into the Michelob London Triathlon! Oh the irony!

Can anyone give me an idea of how many Hail Mary’s I need to say to cover these sins?

It’s now back to business as usual, unfortunately.

Toodle pip.

2007-02-09 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Well, here's my personal challenge for the week, which you can either join or reject outright. I'll take suggestions for other efforts.

I have no idea what I'm doing this summer. No realistic idea. I mean, I have some races planned, the first of which is on the first weekend in June, and another the first weekend of July, and then some in August and September. But I haven't even flipped through my calendar to see how "close" June actually is. And my training to date has been mostly along the lines of "what do I feel like doing today." I need to get some focus.

So here's my challenge for you to complete by Sunday evening:

Sit down with a calendar, and count the days from today to your first race.

Write out the distances of that first race, e.g., 1/4 mile swim, 13 mile bike, 3 mile run.

Write down the distances of the longest efforts you've done in each sport so far this year.

Look at the differences in what you've done, and what you're going to do.

Resolve that you're going to add 10-15 minutes onto each sport's long effort this next week.

Now the tough part: Share all the details, so we can hold each other accountable.

And finally, do your longer workouts. Post how you feel, the time/distance you did, and what was both good and bad about the effort.

Later this afternoon, I'm going to put on some coffee, flip through my logs, and fill in my personal answers for you all to see. And I might not do it for my first race, but my longest planned race for the summer. So if you want to adjust this challenge for your personal goals, that's fine. As the week goes, I'll add my long workouts and my thoughts. Your comments about anything I've written are always welcome.

And remember, this is not a competition. No bonus credits for whoever has the most macho challenge. We're a team here, and we're all triathletes, and we were all new at one point, so what seems long or short or easy or hard is irrelevant. The goal is to identify the challenges each of us face, and work together by offering advice, motivation and cheering so we can meet them.

Have a great day!

2007-02-09 5:53 AM
in reply to: #684846

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Mark Stanley - 2007-02-09 6:43 AM

Prof: For you I chose the wine. A fine bottle of Château de Puligny-Montrachet was a wonderfully crisp accompaniment to my starter. I always find this wine to be firm but well rounded, crisp and, on occasions, slightly fruity!

Hmmm. I'm thinking I would have preferred the terms "bright, enduring, markedly developed and very manly."

Thanks for thinking of us all. God, I'm hungry.

And congrats to the London acceptance. My wife and I are contemplating an August get-away to your area of the world, and while the closest we'd planned on being to London was Gatwick, the menu sounds like it would be worth the trip into the city. I'll keep you posted!
2007-02-09 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
I'm starting to think this is the zaniest crew ever put together in cyberspace. We all seem to sort of fit as the forum of misfits. Remember that christmas show about the Island of Misfit toys? Yep, that's where I'm from. Wouldn't change it for anything in the world now. I've embraced it.

I have a passport that just collects dust. Thinking I need to go pig out in London! Man, all we have here to pig out on is Doritos and Ho-ho's with the supersized McDonald's meal and a big grab mountain dew. How is it that you can so elegantly compare us to food and we feel truly honored? If I did that with the above snacks, you'd all think I wanted a fight!

I really think we freaked the Christian cross guy out Hoping we don't freak out Megan!

I was in a funk yesterday. Even the laundry seemed overwhelming. I'm not kidding. I had this college girl all set to come and clean my house, since I suck at it so much. Telling myself that I'm in training, so it's okay to have help. Well, the house was too filthy to have her come, so I canceled. With the intent that I would actually work on it----nah. So, I did go for my swim lesson, but I was not feeling very optimistic about anything and kept swallowing water at exactly the half lap junction. That's where I get tired and quit to catch a breath. Told you I'm really bad at the swim! She made me go through that point, as it was totally a psychological thing. I tried the flippers---wow! That makes it SO much easier. If I eat tuna and salmon, will I grow some of my own? Is there a surgery for that? I want it!!! Anyway, she pushed me and that was very good. My arms are better with form now. My kick still sucks. But my feet did better after they understood how they are supposed to feel--flipperlike, not rigid. Just have to gain strength and endurance now. Piece of cake, right? I am so screwed--only a month til the indoor tri. Yikes!

As for my diet---well, do yogurt covered peanuts count as a fruit or veggie? Hey, I bought some fruit yesterday. Does having it in your possession count? How about cheddar rice crisps? I really wanted greasy chips, but settled on those.

Haven't been biking or running. Been punching a lot, just because I feel rather frustrated with my laziness and funks as of late.

Hope you all are better mentally than me! Let's get the cross guy to pray for warmer weather--this ten below crap is getting to me!

2007-02-09 3:10 PM
in reply to: #684839

User image

Minneapolis
So what happened to your 9 mile goal? How many did you do before you chucked it, and what went wrong this week that you're going to correct next time so you can hit the goal?

For example, I meant to swim 3 times this week. And I just never got my professorial backside to the pool. And the cause of the failure? Laziness. I mean, let's be honest. If I have time to do a crossword, I have time to swim.

I'm impressed with your planned swim. Is that the farthest you've done at one time? How does it compare to the swim portion of your first planned race?

As for the run -- brrr. Good luck. Seems like you should finish it in your goal time. I'm thinking you should pace yourself, but maybe in the last 1/2 mile you just open it up and fire those engines. I'm curious what you could do if you ended on a sprint. But if the roads are icy, don't be reckless, just run the right pace for the street conditions and have a good race.

Keep us posted of your efforts!

When did give up- I did not give up. I looked at my life, listened to my body and heard slow down. I got 3.37 miles down, I was going to do 2.53 miles the other day and the 3.1 of the 5k was the rest but I could not get to a treadmill and outside was not an option. Then Friday I swim and you are right I could of run later today BUT weight training is harder on the body. I have some upper back/shoulder pain, I am scared I might be straining myself. Saturday, is my rest day after working out 5 straight days in a row. So you can call it giving up but I see it as adaptation.

What went wrong... well mostly I plan on doing a long run sunday- an interval bike and a longer swim than I normally do- but it was not until Wednsday that I went to post how it was going that I realized that I had the challange wrong, I can not go back in time, so next time I will slow down and read, the same way I need to slow down when I type.

I have not done a cross word puzzle and have worked out all week and worked hard! doing stuff I never do and hate for that matter- the evil stairmaster!
The swim ended up being only 6 laps. When I swam laps once a week back in the day- I would do anywhere from 16-33 laps which in my pool is a 1/2 mile to a mile. With breaks it takes me about 30 to 40 min. to swim a 1/2 mile and 1:10 to swim a mile. My longest bike ride is 35 miles and longest run is 3.1 miles which is why I am always trying to ramp up my running mileage.
As for the run, I always end with a sprint, I have wonederful kick! I can feel my body gear down and move into sprint mode it is not running at all it is like fighting your mind and the wind all in one move, it is great.
WOW what I am willing to write to avoid doing work. BGT.
2007-02-10 12:33 AM

User image

Hey team well guess what,,,, i bought a new bike today,, not a racing bike but a mountain bike with a few alterations i got them things out the front they call em tri bars here but its them things u rest on. slo tommorrow i will be riding to the gym doin weights and prob going for a big ride on my new toy. Yesterday my plan was to go for a swim but having to work a 12 hour day stopped that. so what did i do, i went for a run instead.. was the biggest run ive done in a while still short at 6.7km but getting longer each time previously this week ive done 3.7km runs. I have also found a good tri to enter i august its a different style its a off road tri where u swim in a dam 300 meters ride of road (hence the mountain bike choice) for 10 kms and run 4km so im really looking foward to it.

question.. does any1 elses friends think that you are obssed with weightloss.trainning/fittness??? mine do i was a heavy fella but now im not dropping the kgs but converting to muscle. i was at 32% body fat before xmas in nov now am 15% im so stoked at that

cheers
malphh
2007-02-10 5:18 AM
in reply to: #684901

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-02-09 8:31 AM

Misfit toys?

Hope you all are better mentally than me! Let's get the cross guy to pray for warmer weather--this ten below crap is getting to me!

Misfit Toys...there's an interesting and dysfunctional group name. I might have to use that one in class one day.

I'm funked up, too. I can't get up and moving, and since I have a problem accepting my faults, I'm blaming it on Cananda. Yes, that's right, Canada. It's bad enough they come down here looking and sounding like Americans with their cheap money and taking our jobs in the entertainment industry, and making us eat their bacon, but now they've subjected us to their frigid cold. Shame on them! Where's the UN when you need it?

Great work on your swim lesson! I see improvement there, and that should be good motivation to get you to practice. Keep it up. It takes time, but once the stroke/breathe/kick coordination clicks in, you'll be on easy street. I'm proud of your effort.

2007-02-10 5:38 AM
in reply to: #685637

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-02-09 4:10 PM

When did give up- I did not give up. I looked at my life, listened to my body and heard slow down. I got 3.37 miles down, I was going to do 2.53 miles the other day and the 3.1 of the 5k was the rest but I could not get to a treadmill and outside was not an option. Then Friday I swim and you are right I could of run later today BUT weight training is harder on the body. I have some upper back/shoulder pain, I am scared I might be straining myself. Saturday, is my rest day after working out 5 straight days in a row. So you can call it giving up but I see it as adaptation.

What went wrong... well mostly I plan on doing a long run sunday- an interval bike and a longer swim than I normally do- but it was not until Wednsday that I went to post how it was going that I realized that I had the challange wrong, I can not go back in time, so next time I will slow down and read, the same way I need to slow down when I type.

I have not done a cross word puzzle and have worked out all week and worked hard! doing stuff I never do and hate for that matter- the evil stairmaster!
The swim ended up being only 6 laps. When I swam laps once a week back in the day- I would do anywhere from 16-33 laps which in my pool is a 1/2 mile to a mile. With breaks it takes me about 30 to 40 min. to swim a 1/2 mile and 1:10 to swim a mile. My longest bike ride is 35 miles and longest run is 3.1 miles which is why I am always trying to ramp up my running mileage.
As for the run, I always end with a sprint, I have wonederful kick! I can feel my body gear down and move into sprint mode it is not running at all it is like fighting your mind and the wind all in one move, it is great.
WOW what I am willing to write to avoid doing work. BGT.

Indomitable spirit...that's what I think of when I read your posts. Good job. (Which reminds me of the time a student turned in a paper comparing something we'd been discussing to the never caught and rarely seen and mostly legendary abdominal snowman. I kept wondering what was this lonely creature with the amazing 6-pack doing in the high mountains when he should be modelling swimsuits.)

But I digress.

And I did not call it giving up! I think I used the verb chuck. Anyway, I always believe in listening to your body, and you made the right call there. Do not, do not, do not overtrain and get hurt in February. Good call.

And are you mocking my crossword puzzle work? At my age, you have to exercise your brain, too, you know!

Now let's get serious for a moment. Most of what I've written is with tongue in cheek and meant to mock myself. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you have inspired me to go out and run on days when I just didn't want to because I knew you were racing or training. So there you go. Highest form of flattery meant for you. I'm impressed with the work you've done so far, the goals you have set for this year, and the work I know you are going to do this summer to achieve them. So please, if you ever think I've teased you, re-read what I've written, and take it in the spirit in which it is meant.

Good luck on your 5k this weekend!

Edited by prof40 2007-02-10 5:39 AM
2007-02-10 5:53 AM
in reply to: #686099

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Malphh - 2007-02-10 1:33 AM

Hey team well guess what,,,, i bought a new bike today,, not a racing bike but a mountain bike with a few alterations i got them things out the front they call em tri bars here but its them things u rest on. slo tommorrow i will be riding to the gym doin weights and prob going for a big ride on my new toy. Yesterday my plan was to go for a swim but having to work a 12 hour day stopped that. so what did i do, i went for a run instead.. was the biggest run ive done in a while still short at 6.7km but getting longer each time previously this week ive done 3.7km runs. I have also found a good tri to enter i august its a different style its a off road tri where u swim in a dam 300 meters ride of road (hence the mountain bike choice) for 10 kms and run 4km so im really looking foward to it.

question.. does any1 elses friends think that you are obssed with weightloss.trainning/fittness??? mine do i was a heavy fella but now im not dropping the kgs but converting to muscle. i was at 32% body fat before xmas in nov now am 15% im so stoked at that

cheers
malphh

Enjoy the new ride. I can see you taking it down a hill, looking at the speedometer, and seeing how fast you can get that thing to go. Or am I the only one who does that? Stupid, I know, but there are few better feelings than the rush of speed while the only thing between you and the hard asphalt is an 18lb bike with little wobbly tires.

Nice run, too.

Your race sounds great! I'm thinking of something like that here. I just saw there's an Xterra tri in August about an hour from me, and I am seriously itching to give it a go. The only problem is the Mrs. and I watched the world championships last week, and the tv coverage focused on folks bleeding or scraping their skin off the mountainside, and she's not so eager. I think I might roadtrip her to the venue at some point to show her that our hills and fire trails are not anywhere as monumental as the race we saw in an effort to convince her that there's no danger.

So let me get this right? 15% body fat? If you weren't on my team, I'd hate you. But do me a favor, when we take the team photo, and you pull off your shirt to show off the bod, stand at the other end of the photo from me, ok? Yes, that's right, that's the voice of jealousy speaking. Wow! Your friends, serious others, and family must all be giving you compliments. Congratulations on the transformation.

And it's not obsession until you refuse to eat anything offered to you becaue of the calorie/fat content.

Edited by prof40 2007-02-10 5:54 AM

2007-02-10 6:39 PM

User image

Good job to everyone on the challenge this week- its sounds like almost everyone ate their fruits and veggies! And it sounds like Mark ate a little more than that....Thank you Mark for that culinary tour of your dinner. I am amazed were able to walk after that (were you? Oh, maybe THATS why you have plantar fascitis!) and I am honored to have been the toast of the sorbet course since I love anything frozen and sweet. Gelato usually wins my heart, but sorbet has known too as well. When I was in Italy with my siblings last year, our goal was to eat Gelato every day at least once. Sometimes twice. Traveling with a chef (my sister) brings a completely different experience to a vacation because our entire days would be planned around meals at certain specific restaurants that featured certain regional specialties. I have never thought about going to England for the food but now maybe I will!

Speaking of not being able to walk, I have been plagued this week with a sore hip; I have had a nagging hip injury for a long time but this was a new area of pain that had never been there before (my massage therapist says its the hip flexors) and it seems directly related to my cycling workout on Thursday. So, I decided not to run yesterday as planned because I had planned a longer bike ride this morning and I really wanted to go! I worked a long shift in the ER (where ironically, I helped reduced a woman's dislocated hip) and barely slept so I woke up telling myself I shouldnt go for the ride, its not good to aggravate it any more and I might end up really hurting myself, blah blah. Then I looked out the window, the sun was rising over the Cascade mountains and Mt.Rainier was gorgeous (see the picture for Feb 10th at 8:56am for an idea of what it looked like: http://www.pscleanair.org/airq/visibility/default.aspx) I just had to go for the ride! My husband helped me justify it by saying, "If it hurts, you can always turn back". So, I packed my bike on the car and set out to meet my friend Ray who is a true cyclist and always makes me go fast. It was great, I havent enjoyed a ride this much in a long time. We did 22 miles, a rollercoaster like route but I took the hills slow going up and as fast as possible going down (Yes professor, I love seeing my mph go up and up while screaming down a hill too) The weather was perfect and I rode well without too much pain. I was smart and did have a massage right afterwards so hopefully (cross my fingers) I wont wake up in pain tomorrow. In terms of my bike, I have an appointment with a physical therapist that specializes in bike fitting in 2 weeks so I might lay low on the bike until then.

So there was my highlight workout of the week and I did meet the goal, I went longer (about 6 miles more) than my previous workouts. I do have a race plan, I am going to start the 12 week training plan in Gail Bernhardts book on March 25th. I have a total of 18 weeks until the race I want to do first on June 17th, http://www.racecenter.com/cascadesedge/. Between now and Mar 25th, I plan to keep building a base so when I start the real plan, I wont fail miserably.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and at least one workout this week as rewarding as mine was! This is why I keep doing this- every once in awhile everything comes together and for a few brief moments, I am in a perfect world. Ok, maybe its the endorphin rush
2007-02-11 4:34 AM
in reply to: #686491

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-02-10 7:39 PM

I hope everyone has a good weekend and at least one workout this week as rewarding as mine was! This is why I keep doing this- every once in awhile everything comes together and for a few brief moments, I am in a perfect world. Ok, maybe its the endorphin rush

I am jealous of your amazing ride! It hasn't snowed the past few days, and I keep looking at the roads with longing, but I know it just isn't a good time to be riding outside. I am dreaming of spring.
2007-02-11 5:11 AM

User image

went for a big ride today prob 30kms all up or so second day on the bike and gee my legs are sore! and yes i too love the down hill
2007-02-11 5:20 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
FEBRUARY 10 REVIEW: (and yes, I know, its Feb 11):

This was a tough week for me. All I wanted to do was eat, and not the fruits and vegetables suggested by Watergirl in her challenge. Did anyone else OD on bad carbs this week?

And I went 0 for 3 on the swim attempt. No excuse, either. My first race was cancelled, so instead of April, I now have until June to get up to speed. Motivation doesn't click in as strong as it could compared to procrastination.

PHOENIXRISING has once again had an exhausting week, which kicked off with an indoor tri. Impressive. One of these Sundays, I need to do that, too.

MEGAN from Chicago joined us and has 2 races and an 8k run planned for her summer.

MALPHH has recovered from his Australia Day injuries and has logged some nice runs and bike rides on his new bike. He's also discovered the thrill of hurtling down mountains at top speed.

MARK STANLEY is back from India, working out, eating great meals, and humming "The Sound of Music" score.

JOSE is recovering from a snowboarding injury and illness. Hopefully, he'll be back soon.

BGT is on fire with her workouts, and is running a 5K this morning in the winter snow. She's also listed her food journal for us to see. I'm not that brave, so other than admitting my gorge day, I'm keeping the rest of mine a secret.

WATERGIRL set a great challenge, and while I thought I ate sufficient fruits and veggies, there were some days I went lacking. I wrote down all that I ate, and then reviewed the sheet as the week passed. She definitely made me more aware of what I stuffed into my mouth. She did a great bike ride this week, too.

Anyone seen our missing teammates?

And I set a "focus challenge" for this week. Here's the deal: I want you to identify your great summer challenge (which, I assume, is to complete your planned triathlon), plan on how you're going to meet it, and then take 1 step towards that goal. That's it. No competition here, and no comparing yourself to others. But you have to hold yourself accountable, so I want you to list it here for us all to see. You can use my post from the other day as a template.

I'm still working on mine, so nothing to post yet. Great hockey game last night, though.

Have a great day.

Edited by prof40 2007-02-11 5:22 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72