BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-02-12 2:30 AM
in reply to: #1205473

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- FULL!

Welcome to the group, Jules! 

Pollywog - 2008-02-10 7:33 PM Welcome Jules Weekend was really cold here in ND, Watched friend's kids play hockey 7 & 11 year olds. Parents got warned by ref for making unsportmanlike comments. Some of the parents are way to into the game. Wife & I were supposed to go to my Dad's for a Wii-Fest challenge but my dad ended up having to go to a funeral in Sturgis, SD so we watch Mr. Woodcock.

We had a fantastically warm weekend, but are back to sub zero temps and freezing fog, so back to the gym tonight. It always amazes me when parents can get that heated about children's games. Unsportsmanlike comments with 7 year olds? Just let 'em skate about, for the love of Pete LOL.

Swimming Discussion: The TI DVD has helped me a lot since December. I'm stuck on the fish drill mainly because I will have to have someone help me get in the correct position for the switching drills. The floating and kicking in a more streamlined position are making a big difference so far.

Hmmmm, I wonder if we can get that here... 

2008-02-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
I almost blew off my swim this morning. I had a hard time getting up and thought about not going, but I couldn't come up with any good reason not to go and I was feeling guilty. I went and I'm glad I did. I actually had a pretty good swim, nothing amazing, I just felt good in the water. Mentally I am starting to have a hard time putting in the laps. I am actually enjoying my runs on the treadmill more right now. I think this is because I am seeing more progress being made and there is more to distract me during my workout. I will keep swimming because I need to and I know at some point there will be a break through and it will become easier.

On a happier side, I started getting my bike ready for some riding. This great weather we are having has given me the need to ride. I want to get out this weekend and then continue with the weekend rides. My buddy and I have a 26 mile ride we do that has a fair amount of climbing. Lets just hope this weather holds out.

Scott R
2008-02-13 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Way to go, Scott! I, too, almost blew off this morning, but went for a nice pre-work bike ride from my apartment at Baker Beach, over the GGB and back, to Crissy Field, then home. I need to ride more! I also need a rest day, which I'm taking on Friday (then telemark skiing on Saturday).... 13 days in a row as of today.

Ab work and pool time tonight, run and swim tomorrow, then a full rest day... sounds delightful.
2008-02-13 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1209489

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

TysDad - 2008-02-13 12:09 PM  Mentally I am starting to have a hard time putting in the laps. I am actually enjoying my runs on the treadmill more right now. I think this is because I am seeing more progress being made and there is more to distract me during my workout. I will keep swimming because I need to and I know at some point there will be a break through and it will become easier.

Hey Scott,

I just checked out you logs, IMHO, you need to break up doing just 400x4, that would drive me crazy! I too have a mentally hard time putting in laps in a pool, even more so once I start OWS. I find that if I break things up and follow a plan or make some up myself I have a better swim.  During the summer I started swimming using the A or B sets in the Workouts in a Binder: Swim Workouts for Triathletes, and that helped me a lot.

2008-02-13 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1209558

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Donto - 2008-02-13 9:36 AM

TysDad - 2008-02-13 12:09 PM  Mentally I am starting to have a hard time putting in the laps. I am actually enjoying my runs on the treadmill more right now. I think this is because I am seeing more progress being made and there is more to distract me during my workout. I will keep swimming because I need to and I know at some point there will be a break through and it will become easier.

Hey Scott,

I just checked out you logs, IMHO, you need to break up doing just 400x4, that would drive me crazy! I too have a mentally hard time putting in laps in a pool, even more so once I start OWS. I find that if I break things up and follow a plan or make some up myself I have a better swim.  During the summer I started swimming using the A or B sets in the Workouts in a Binder: Swim Workouts for Triathletes, and that helped me a lot.

Don,
Thanks for the help! That looks like it might be the ticket. I read a few of the sample workouts and they look do-able. This would also boost my distance per workout which is also needed but hasn't been done due to mental fatigue. Breaking up the workout as you mentioned should help, I just didn't know how. I think this might be the time to order my Forerunner quick release so I can get the free shipping.

Thanks again,
Scott R
2008-02-14 1:46 PM

User image

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone,

A romantic night of Happy Hour buffalo wings, beer & watching HS Basketball because a friend's kid invited us to watch him be the ballboy.

2008-02-14 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

I worked with my Swim Coach, Lorine, at my athletic club pool today.  It was one of those Good News, Bad News days.  Good News is I'm a stronger and fitter swimmer than our last one-on-one (maybe 6 months ago).  Bad News, is I still suffer from the same maladies (though presumably not to the same extent) as before...missing "the Catch", dropping elbows, crossing the centerline.  Sheesh...sometimes I really hate swimming!

Anyway, the point of my post is, it reminds me of a great article by ST's Dan Empfield entitled "The High Cost of Good Form".  Mentees, this article is now mandatory reading.  You will be quizzed.

You see, for me (and I hope others...either that or I'm just a lost cause in water), holding "good form" requires a sustained, extra effort, both physically and mentally.  When concentrating hard on holding this "good form", I freely admit to being limited to about 50m-100m at a time--before faltering back to my...let's just call it "not-necessarily good form" (NNGFtm)!  What's frustrating is I can hold the NNGF for an long time.  But, I know in my heart of hearts, that to improve I need to pursure "good form".  Damn!

The article is good reminder that the pursuit of good form does not necessarily entail a "linear" progression.  There are ups-and-downs, and yes, even sideways progress. 

The important thing is to recognize the need to pursue both good form and volume in our training--all the while realizing often (though not always)--good form and volume--are mutually exclusive for us mere mortal AG'ers!  Here I quote Dan:

"...So, back to the question. Do you swim only what you can while holding good form? Or do you swim the proscribed yardage, even if your technique falters? Any triathlete, and any triathlon coach, and any single sport coach, has experienced these quandaries, and heard the accompanying questions from his or her disciples. The answer in practice is, you do everything. You swim with proper technique. And you swim the proscribed yardage, even if you can’t do it with proper technique. And you swim it as fast as you conceivably can. You do all this even if you can’t really do any of it perfectly. Eventually things work themselves out...."

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming... 

2008-02-14 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1212902

User image

Modesto, California
guncollector - 2008-02-14 1:34 PM

The important thing is to recognize the need to pursue both good form and volume in our training--all the while realizing often (though not always)--good form and volume--are mutually exclusive for us mere mortal AG'ers!  Here I quote Dan:

I believe that is the key to fast swimming, having good form and having the strength to maintain that good form up until the finish. At my masters swim I am a  mop swimmer and am blown away by the others that have paid their dues swimming in college. It is night and day difference between them and me. They make even practice interval sets look effortless.

I go for my 1 on 1 tune up next week, I have been seeking coaching an all four swim strokes.

Edited by nevergivin 2008-02-14 5:05 PM
2008-02-14 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1212902

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
guncollector - 2008-02-14 4:34 PM

I worked with my Swim Coach, Lorine, at my athletic club pool today. It was one of those Good News, Bad News days. Good News is I'm a stronger and fitter swimmer than our last one-on-one (maybe 6 months ago). Bad News, is I still suffer from the same maladies (though presumably not to the same extent) as before...missing "the Catch", dropping elbows, crossing the centerline. Sheesh...sometimes I really hate swimming!

Anyway, the point of my post is, it reminds me of a great article by ST's Dan Empfield entitled "The High Cost of Good Form". Mentees, this article is now mandatory reading. You will be quizzed.

You see, for me (and I hope others...either that or I'm just a lost cause in water), holding "good form" requires a sustained, extra effort, both physically and mentally. When concentrating hard on holding this "good form", I freely admit to being limited to about 50m-100m at a time--before faltering back to my...let's just call it "not-necessarily good form" (NNGFtm)! What's frustrating is I can hold the NNGF for an long time. But, I know in my heart of hearts, that to improve I need to pursure "good form". Damn!

The article is good reminder that the pursuit of good form does not necessarily entail a "linear" progression. There are ups-and-downs, and yes, even sideways progress.

The important thing is to recognize the need to pursue both good form and volume in our training--all the while realizing often (though not always)--good form and volume--are mutually exclusive for us mere mortal AG'ers! Here I quote Dan:

"...So, back to the question. Do you swim only what you can while holding good form? Or do you swim the proscribed yardage, even if your technique falters? Any triathlete, and any triathlon coach, and any single sport coach, has experienced these quandaries, and heard the accompanying questions from his or her disciples. The answer in practice is, you do everything. You swim with proper technique. And you swim the proscribed yardage, even if you can’t do it with proper technique. And you swim it as fast as you conceivably can. You do all this even if you can’t really do any of it perfectly. Eventually things work themselves out...."

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

I have found some bliss in my swim form lately I starting using Finis freestyle paddles last Sept for a bit then again this month. It has totally taught me proper stroke form from the catch, pull to follow-through, because if you don't it's hard to swim with them. Since I'm only getting back into swimming I've been doing sets of PB & Paddles then PB only then Free, repeat. By the end I'm still swimming good and am building great muscle memory.  IMHO, they are a great tool to build the proper technique.  A friend told me to start using them and lent them to me.  He became a faster swimmer than I and was wondering how!

2008-02-14 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1213231

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Donto - 2008-02-14 4:06 PM

I have found some bliss in my swim form lately I starting using Finis freestyle paddles last Sept for a bit then again this month. It has totally taught me proper stroke form from the catch, pull to follow-through, because if you don't it's hard to swim with them. Since I'm only getting back into swimming I've been doing sets of PB & Paddles then PB only then Free, repeat. By the end I'm still swimming good and am building great muscle memory. IMHO, they are a great tool to build the proper technique. A friend told me to start using them and lent them to me. He became a faster swimmer than I and was wondering how!

Good call, Don.  You know, originally I was kind of "anti" swim aid/toys--as a result of being too T/I indoctrinated, I think. 

But, last few months, I've revised my approach and have been using paddles as an aid to formulating proper entry & catch.  Our club paddles aren't quite that fancy, but I do believe they serve similar purpose.

2008-02-15 3:33 AM
in reply to: #1212556

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK

Pollywog - 2008-02-13 7:46 PM Happy Valentine's Day Everyone, A romantic night of Happy Hour buffalo wings, beer & watching HS Basketball because a friend's kid invited us to watch him be the ballboy.

Awww! How did he do?

Happy Friday, everyone  

2008-02-15 12:06 PM

User image

Jetlag. Awww! How did he do? He did Awww-some. He even had his pop bottle out on the court. He must be exempt from the no pop on the gym floor rule.

I made a fool of myself on make a 3point shot and win a pizza. My shot went straight up in the air landing on the free throw line much to the delight of my wife and friends.

I'm off to read the swimming article.

Happy Friday, everyone
2008-02-15 3:09 PM

Hi Guys,

I wondered if anyone has read Breakthrough Swimming by Cecil Colwin.

Is it any good?

Scott
2008-02-17 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I haven't read it, I am still trying to digest the triathletes training bible. Is it any good?
2008-02-17 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Hey All,

Today I ran my first 5k of the year. Finished 3rd in my age group with a time of 24m 46s. I probably could have ran faster but there was a lot of ice on the course. I thought I was prepared as I ran on MSU campus a few times this last week. My last run was 15 degrees F. So we've gotten a lot of rain yesterday and today which washed away the snow that I was using for footing, today it was just the slick ice. Today the temp was 35 d F. I wasn't prepared for the warm weather and I overdressed.

Either way, it was my 2nd fastest time for a 5k since I started running last year. This gives me hope that I will actually improve my running. It motivates me to buy a trainer for my bike (and hope for the snow and ice to melt so I can get the bike on the road). This race encourages me to get my butt into a pool. Lord knows I gotta figure out how I'll do in the water.

Edited by JHagerman 2008-02-17 7:13 PM
2008-02-18 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1217317

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK

Pollywog, glad you had a good time :lol:

Hagerman, rest assured that your 5k time is considerably better than mine! LOL 

2008-02-19 9:51 AM

User image

Hagerman, nice job on the 5k. I worked as paramedic for LifeLine & Midwest ambulance in Des Moines, IA back in 98 & 99. The 24 on 48 off has to make training difficult at times.
2008-02-19 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1217317

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

JHagerman - 2008-02-17 5:12 PM Hey All, Today I ran my first 5k of the year. Finished 3rd in my age group with a time of 24m 46s.

Right on, bro!

This gives me hope that I will actually improve my running. It motivates me to buy a trainer for my bike (and hope for the snow and ice to melt so I can get the bike on the road). This race encourages me to get my butt into a pool. Lord knows I gotta figure out how I'll do in the water.

Nothing like a little taste of the podium placement for motivation!  Keep up the great work!
2008-02-20 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Nice work! Keep it up.
2008-02-20 10:51 AM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Looks like last weekend was the weekend of personal best runs. I went out and ran my best 3.14 mile loop and was sub 8 min/mile for the first time. I ran a 24:40 which works out to a 7:52 min/mile average. I am happy to finally be sub 8. My run was in much better conditions, I belive it was in the low 60's. I don't think you could get me outside to run in those temps.

Now back to the treadmill runs. Last week I noticed that the treadmills at my gym shutdown at 1 hour. So this week I have had to do my warm-up, restart the treadmill, run for my hour, and restart it for my cool-down. I'm running at a 10 min/mile pace and was hoping to work up to an 8 mile run. I need to figure this out or I will need to restart it half way through.

Keep up the good work everybody,

Scott R
2008-02-20 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1223421

User image

Master
Small Town
TysDad - 2008-02-20 11:51 AM

I ran a 24:40 which works out to a 7:52 min/mile average.

Good Job Ty!

2008-02-20 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Anyone have any experience using these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HT-Ice-Cleats-One-size-fits-all-Boot-shoe-sizes...

(Sorry, I'm not sure how to setup the hyperlink)

I wonder if they would work well for slower runs or if they would stretch and slip off? Any suggestions?
2008-02-20 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1224083

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

JHagerman - 2008-02-20 12:19 PM Anyone have any experience using these? http://cgi.ebay.com/HT-Ice-Cleats-One-size-fits-all-Boot-shoe-sizes... (Sorry, I'm not sure how to setup the hyperlink) I wonder if they would work well for slower runs or if they would stretch and slip off? Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but along the same lines, my die-hard Tahoe buddies who train on ice/snow-covered roads swear by Yak Trax. HTH!

Edited by guncollector 2008-02-20 2:43 PM
2008-02-21 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
So the treads that I posted about earlier... I found a set at Meijers Store on clearance. Went for a run and they work great! They didn't slip/stretch at all. I'd highly recommend them to anyone who has to run over snow and ice!

And on that note, I ran my longest distance yesterday - EVER! 7 Miles!! I just headed out for my run and decided to go a bit farther, then I missed a street (I'm not saying I got lost) and decided to keep going just a little bit farther. It felt great. I was surprised that I felt good enough to not stop running at any point.

Anyway, I know I'm 'tooting my own horn' but I had to share.
2008-02-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1225446

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

JHagerman - 2008-02-21 5:43 AM So the treads that I posted about earlier... I found a set at Meijers Store on clearance. Went for a run and they work great! They didn't slip/stretch at all. I'd highly recommend them to anyone who has to run over snow and ice! And on that note, I ran my longest distance yesterday - EVER! 7 Miles!! I just headed out for my run and decided to go a bit farther, then I missed a street (I'm not saying I got lost) and decided to keep going just a little bit farther. It felt great. I was surprised that I felt good enough to not stop running at any point. Anyway, I know I'm 'tooting my own horn' but I had to share.

Great job!  I encourage you and everyone to share and celebrate those PR's!  It's important to do so.  Remember, all glory is fleeting.  So we need to celebrate not only crossing finish lines, but all notable achievements to keep ourselves motivated!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15