BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-11-11 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3207378

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
Nice.  Just curious if you chose the compact crank on purpose, or if that's just what it came with.  I was going to buy that used DA I posted a pic of recently, which had a compact crank also, but my fitter said I can't ride compact cranks.  I totally trust her and have faith that she wouldn't steer me wrong, but I wanted to try a compact just to compare the ride difference.

2010-11-12 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3204348

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
kickitinok - 2010-11-10 9:21 AM Hey guys...long time no talk. Though I'd stick my head in and see how everyone is doing. After my vacation in Montreal at the end of August, my back went out and stayed out for the better part of two months. I was just cleared to start back running two weeks ago. What tiny bit of run fitness I did have went out the window, and I'm starting from square one. Bleh.

On a positive note, the inability to run translated into more time in the saddle. Got in some distance and hill rides with hubby and really improved my bike fitness. I also dropped 20lbs. Looking forward to losing around 25 more and really training hard over the winter in order to be ready for an Oly next season.

Hope you're all having a wonderful autumn! Smile 

Great job on the weight drop.  Suspect the training on the run will go better than you think (hint, hint think positive!)
2010-11-12 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Two weeks back after my run felt absolutely terrible / muscles everywhere were hurting.  Frankly since I started training in April, I've continually been sore due to the runs.  Took a couple of days off and felt a little better.  Have now been "off" running for two weeks and feel really, really good.  Next 7 days I'll be in India.  Plan is to spend some time on the bike and in the pool.  I'll then start back in with the running.

Would welcome any thoughts on how to build the run pain free.  Know my cardio fitness has made huge strides just want to figure out how to get to the next level without hurting.
2010-11-12 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3207656

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
croixfan - 2010-11-12 7:07 AM

Two weeks back after my run felt absolutely terrible / muscles everywhere were hurting.  Frankly since I started training in April, I've continually been sore due to the runs.  Took a couple of days off and felt a little better.  Have now been "off" running for two weeks and feel really, really good.  Next 7 days I'll be in India.  Plan is to spend some time on the bike and in the pool.  I'll then start back in with the running.

Would welcome any thoughts on how to build the run pain free.  Know my cardio fitness has made huge strides just want to figure out how to get to the next level without hurting.

Are you running hard every time or something? It shouldn't hurt like that. There is a reason there are so many signatures on BT that say "Run often....and sometimes hard" Personally, I only run hard once a week. I usually do a long tempo run and sometimes work intervals into a long run. I'll run 3 more times during the week. All 3 of those runs are SLOW. I even use one run as a recovery run the day after tempo runs. They are that SLOW. I only get soar after a hard run. I don't run hard enough to get soar after the others.
2010-11-12 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3207844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Meulen - 2010-11-12 8:48 AM
croixfan - 2010-11-12 7:07 AM Two weeks back after my run felt absolutely terrible / muscles everywhere were hurting.  Frankly since I started training in April, I've continually been sore due to the runs.  Took a couple of days off and felt a little better.  Have now been "off" running for two weeks and feel really, really good.  Next 7 days I'll be in India.  Plan is to spend some time on the bike and in the pool.  I'll then start back in with the running.

Are you running hard every time or something? It shouldn't hurt like that. There is a reason there are so many signatures on BT that say "Run often....and sometimes hard" Personally, I only run hard once a week. I usually do a long tempo run and sometimes work intervals into a long run. I'll run 3 more times during the week. All 3 of those runs are SLOW. I even use one run as a recovery run the day after tempo runs. They are that SLOW. I only get soar after a hard run. I don't run hard enough to get soar after the others.

I'm running most of the time very close to the max that I can.  It doesn't feel "hard" as I feel very slow; however, it is pushing myself.  When I start back, will dial back the pace and see how that goes.  One other "factoid" is that after any of the swims my muscles feel great.
2010-11-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3208221

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
croixfan - 2010-11-12 11:20 AM

Meulen - 2010-11-12 8:48 AM
croixfan - 2010-11-12 7:07 AM Two weeks back after my run felt absolutely terrible / muscles everywhere were hurting.  Frankly since I started training in April, I've continually been sore due to the runs.  Took a couple of days off and felt a little better.  Have now been "off" running for two weeks and feel really, really good.  Next 7 days I'll be in India.  Plan is to spend some time on the bike and in the pool.  I'll then start back in with the running.

I'm running most of the time very close to the max that I can.  It doesn't feel "hard" as I feel very slow; however, it is pushing myself.  When I start back, will dial back the pace and see how that goes.  One other "factoid" is that after any of the swims my muscles feel great.

Swimming is technique though, and unless your on the paddles or swimming hard interval sets you shouldn't be soar from that. Another thing you could try, in addition to backing down most of those runs, is doing an easy high cadence bike the day after your hard run. That'll help get the lactic acid out. I know if I take a rest day after a hard day my recovery time is actually longer. The lactic acid seems to sit in my muscles. If I do some type of recovery run/bike/swim it gets that lactic acid out and I feel better faster. You also may want to experiment with a recovery drink. Some of the drinks with glutamine in them will help keep muscle soreness to a minimum.

2010-11-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3207651

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

On a positive note, the inability to run translated into more time in the saddle. Got in some distance and hill rides with hubby and really improved my bike fitness. I also dropped 20lbs. Looking forward to losing around 25 more and really training hard over the winter in order to be ready for an Oly next season.

Hope you're all having a wonderful autumn! Smile 

Great job on the weight drop.  Suspect the training on the run will go better than you think (hint, hint think positive!)

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I did a walk/run yesterday at the gym, and yes you all are right - could definitely tell a difference being 20lbs lighter (actually, 23.8lbs lighter). It took me about 6 months to wrap my head around the concept that I would not lose weight with just training....I had to diet, too! I go to Weight Watchers and it's very doable, although the loss is slow it's still the healthiest way to lose weight. 

I've also signed-up to participate in The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's "Team in Training." I'm self-coached and I'm sure I could benefit from the coaches expertise.

However, I am going to brag and report that I've got my swim stroke count down to 17/25 yards Tongue out I have long arms. 
2010-11-12 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3207548

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-11-11 8:36 PM Nice.  Just curious if you chose the compact crank on purpose, or if that's just what it came with.  I was going to buy that used DA I posted a pic of recently, which had a compact crank also, but my fitter said I can't ride compact cranks.  I totally trust her and have faith that she wouldn't steer me wrong, but I wanted to try a compact just to compare the ride difference.

Hmm... I guess the answer is two-fold:

1.  I found that on on 53 ring, I spent most of my time in the middle of the cassette and having to shift down to the 39 on steeper hills.  Going with a 50, I can tackle most hills without shifting down.

Also, I found an article in Road Bike Magazine that discussed how a compact crankset can benefit the majority of ameuter riders.  Not only by eliminating the shifting from big to small ring, but by staying in the big ring longer, there is less friction in the driveline and greater efficiency.  This pretty much sold me on the compact crank.

2.  The 52 frame comes with a compact crankset.  Laughing

Today, I did a 30 mile ride in the hills.  The ride just confirmed the data.  I love this configuration.  The compact crankset allowed me to tackle the inclines with a lot less shifting.  And, when I had to shift, the 34 ring allowed me to tackle the steeper ascents in the saddle with a very aerobic effort.

While I'm going to keep the 53/39 on my TT bike as the primary drivetrain, if the course calls for significant elevation gain, I'll be swapping for the compact crankset.
2010-11-13 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I know...shame on me for being MIA for a while. Work has been sucking the life force out of me the last few weeks. I haven't had hours each day to browse the web like usual.

Quick recap - my marathon went really well but I had a knee issue develop. The following weekend I ended up pacing the Morgan Hill half marathon (fantastic event for their first year btw). The knee held up fine during the run, but was hurting for a couple days after. This week I haven't done a thing, and my IMTX training plan is just around the corner. I can't go into that plan flat footed so I'll have to start back with the swimming, and spinning. I might give the running a longer break to make sure the knee is 100%.
2010-11-13 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3209675

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-11-13 2:36 PM I know...shame on me for being MIA for a while. Work has been sucking the life force out of me the last few weeks. I haven't had hours each day to browse the web like usual.

Quick recap - my marathon went really well but I had a knee issue develop. The following weekend I ended up pacing the Morgan Hill half marathon (fantastic event for their first year btw). The knee held up fine during the run, but was hurting for a couple days after. This week I haven't done a thing, and my IMTX training plan is just around the corner. I can't go into that plan flat footed so I'll have to start back with the swimming, and spinning. I might give the running a longer break to make sure the knee is 100%.

Didn't it rain on the half marathon?  I know we had a lot of rain in Capitola.
2010-11-14 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3209840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
brick94513 - 2010-11-13 6:57 PM
dhopman - 2010-11-13 2:36 PM I know...shame on me for being MIA for a while. Work has been sucking the life force out of me the last few weeks. I haven't had hours each day to browse the web like usual.

Didn't it rain on the half marathon?  I know we had a lot of rain in Capitola.

It was pouring on the drive down, somehow the rain passed over Morgan Hill. It did sprinkle a bit later on - nothing terrible. Some of the marathoners may have gotten a bit wet. Then it poured again on the drive back to the south bay. They really lucked out, it could have been really miserable out there.

2010-11-16 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I found some motivation last night to get on the trainer for an hour. My a$$ is sore today - I haven't been on my bike since July. WOW - that's a long break. I just did an easy spin while watching TV, nothing too crazy. It felt nice to sweat a little though.

I used my hot yellow Mavic shoes for the first time. I think the cleat needs adjusting on one of them. This was likely the first of many spin sessions to come over the next 6-7 months!
2010-11-18 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Finally all three course maps have been posted for IMTX! The swim looks more narrow than it probably is. The bike is one big loop - shouldn't have anything that I'd call a climb. The run is three loops (great for spectators) through The Woodlands - probably pancake flat also.
2010-11-19 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3213232

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-11-16 8:54 AM I found some motivation last night to get on the trainer for an hour. My a$$ is sore today - I haven't been on my bike since July. WOW - that's a long break. I just did an easy spin while watching TV, nothing too crazy. It felt nice to sweat a little though.

I used my hot yellow Mavic shoes for the first time. I think the cleat needs adjusting on one of them. This was likely the first of many spin sessions to come over the next 6-7 months!

When do you start up the IM training plan?  We need to meet up for some rides.
2010-11-19 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3218697

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
brick94513 - 2010-11-19 12:59 PM
dhopman - 2010-11-16 8:54 AM I found some motivation last night to get on the trainer for an hour. My a$$ is sore today - I haven't been on my bike since July. WOW - that's a long break. I just did an easy spin while watching TV, nothing too crazy. It felt nice to sweat a little though.

The structured 20 week plan starts January 3. I'm getting back into things now, trying to keep the running light which means I'll be on the trainer a fair amount. If there's a non-rainy weekend we can hook up on a ride I'd love that! Have you ever done Mines Rd. in Livermore? I've been wanting to check that route out for a while.
2010-11-19 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3218733

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Lucky, wish I knew some peeps to train with from here!  Hey so question for youze.  I have to opportunity to pick up an '09 Felt F1 team bike w/ a few hundred miles on it for a ridonkulously low price.  If I do, I won't be able to get a new TT bike.  I'd like a roadie to commute to work after I move down to Camp Pendleton, but honestly I have never ridden a road bike.  I'm assuming I can do the bulk of my traininig on it w/ no ill effects on racing yes?

2010-11-19 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3218697

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

Tim are you doing a full IM next year too?
2010-11-19 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3218821

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
shmeeg - 2010-11-19 2:03 PM Lucky, wish I knew some peeps to train with from here!  Hey so question for youze.  I have to opportunity to pick up an '09 Felt F1 team bike w/ a few hundred miles on it for a ridonkulously low price.  If I do, I won't be able to get a new TT bike.  I'd like a roadie to commute to work after I move down to Camp Pendleton, but honestly I have never ridden a road bike.  I'm assuming I can do the bulk of my traininig on it w/ no ill effects on racing yes?

Question 2, do you go with a set of Cosmic Carbone SLs, DA 7850 clinchers, Hed Jet 6s or Planet X 50/50s?
2010-11-19 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3218821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
shmeeg - 2010-11-19 2:03 PM Lucky, wish I knew some peeps to train with from here!  Hey so question for youze.  I have to opportunity to pick up an '09 Felt F1 team bike w/ a few hundred miles on it for a ridonkulously low price.  If I do, I won't be able to get a new TT bike.  I'd like a roadie to commute to work after I move down to Camp Pendleton, but honestly I have never ridden a road bike.  I'm assuming I can do the bulk of my traininig on it w/ no ill effects on racing yes?

I've never been on a tri bike so maybe I can't answer the second half of your question, but I assume it's a big fat "YES". I imagine commuting would be more comfortable on a roadie. Felts are fantastic - even my cheapo Felt is great.
2010-11-20 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Back home from a trip to India.  Interesting place.

Got in the gym this AM for a swim/run session.

Picked up a Cycleops 2 this afternoon / have it set up in the basement -- no more excuses for lack of time on the bike!!!!
2010-11-20 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3219680

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
croixfan - 2010-11-20 4:03 PMBack home from a trip to India.  Interesting place.

Picked up a Cycleops 2 this afternoon / have it set up in the basement -- no more excuses for lack of time on the bike!!!!
Nice, you should check out the cycling program in the challenge forum. Good structure for building power over the winter.

2010-11-20 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3219729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
shmeeg - 2010-11-20 7:25 PM
croixfan - 2010-11-20 4:03 PMBack home from a trip to India.  Interesting place.

Nice, you should check out the cycling program in the challenge forum. Good structure for building power over the winter.

Good idea Jay -- I spent most of this evening researching it / getting the first four weeks.
2010-11-21 12:00 AM
in reply to: #3219855

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Yeah, it's good to go.  I've been doin it since the prep weeks and I have already shaved a few mins off my weekly group ride times.  'Course I overdid it and went so hard last week that I had to get off the bike because I was starting to dry heave, but I'll definitely be faster on the bike next season.
2010-11-21 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
I doubt I'll take it that far, but I definitely need to turn up the intensity on the bike a bit.  To date, I've just been cruising along.  Feel like I have a good handle on the steps to take for the bike and run.  Now if I can just find something to help the swim click.
2010-11-21 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3218733

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-11-19 1:20 PM

The structured 20 week plan starts January 3. I'm getting back into things now, trying to keep the running light which means I'll be on the trainer a fair amount. If there's a non-rainy weekend we can hook up on a ride I'd love that! Have you ever done Mines Rd. in Livermore? I've been wanting to check that route out for a while.

Yes on Mines Rd.  I've done an out and back, but looking to do a century up mines rd, over Hamilton, to Fremont, and back on Calaverras rd.

Mines rd is nice.  Good scenery and minimal traffic.

Let me know if you plan on riding.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108