BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-31 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2761228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
latestarter - 2010-03-31 6:09 PM

Just got back home.   Been out since 7:00 this morning for early morning swim, volunteer work, errands and THEN a RUN!!!!  Ta da!!!!!    My walk/run warm out didn't start out too promising - some pulling in tendons in back/inside of right leg, but it worked itself out so I did 3.03km of walk/run and then ran the 3.03 back without walking and absolutely no issues - not even the neuroma.  Kept it slow, but I read Steve's post today about putting aside the ego, and even though it kills me to see that run pace in my log, I know I am being smart.  

I think I am starting to get optimistic.   Smile

Anne:

Glad to hear the neuroma has been behaving! I was just mentioning to Steve the other day that mine hasn't been bothering me lately either. Not sure why, but I'll take it!

Tracey

2010-03-31 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2761511

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-03-31 8:58 PM

TRACEY -

Ack! I was hoping that some gizmophile would chime in about running watches, as I am not the person to ask. Since '03 I have been using the same watch, which is a Timex Ironman Sleek 50-lap. I love it because it has a low profile and is lightwieght and well-ventilated. It does any of the timing things I want it to do, but does not give mileage or minutes per mile. For the former I either estimate (I have a good sense of the pace I'm running) or, more often, drive the route I run and figure it that way. For the latter, i just do the math.

The January 2010 issue of Runner's World has an article by Mathew Honan (the one "t" in Mathew is NOT a typo) titled "Time Machines", and thsat might be on-line at www.runnersworld.com; maybe in their archives by now? They discuss/review six models, and while some of them are GPSers or have heart rate capabilities, I will list them all anyhow and you check them out and discard them as you see fit.

New Balance N8 Trainer
Timex Ironman Sleek 150 Lap
Polar RS300
Gramin FR60
Suunto T1C
Nike+ Sportband

I'm not sure, but I think for mileage and minutes per mile you're going to have to use something that has a GPS component to it. Of the ones above, the Garmin FR60 is listed at $99, and to get speed, cadence, and distance, you need to also buy the footpod, which is another $99. (My knowledge of this stuff, while sketchy, says that <$200 is a pretty good deal.0 That unit will also measure heart rate and calories when used with the chest strap, which is included with the basic device.

In '03 and '04, I sometimes used a Timex speed-distance unit when I wanted to get fancier. This did the distance/pace/heartrate stuff, but it was not reliable in valleys and heavily treed areas. It was very much first-generation, and withoin a year or two was blown out of the water by Garmin. I think Timex still makes them -- much improved, of course! - but they can't compete with Garmin in that particular arena.

Mostly, I just didn't NEED all that information. It was useful and helpful, but definitely not necessary. And unlike a lot of people, I never ever used my heart rate monitor during a race. I have pretty strong feelings about that.....but that's for another time, i guess!

Happy shopping! (?)

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate this.

I actually ended up going ahead and getting a watch on Amazon.com. (I'm not patient; when I decide I want to buy something, I usually have it or at least have ordered it within 24 hours!) This is the one I chose:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J02DQU/ref=oss_product

So I don't think this one gives actual minutes per mile since as you mentioned that would require GPS technology (and I really didn't want to spend that much), but it does tell you your speed in MPH. And from all my use of the treadmill I pretty much have the MPH to minutes per mile equivalencies memorized!

My current pace of about 11:45 minutes/mile is about 5.1 MPH, and my "goal" pace of 10 minutes/mile is 6 MPH. So it will be good to now know where in that range I'm training when I'm on the outdoor runs.

Tracey

2010-03-31 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2758900

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Well, that's the thing, the fly in the ointment -- being content with Musselman (or any half-iron, actually) as a "B", even a "B+". Your mentioning of that was a wake-up call of sorts, a real cause for pause.

Adding to it is the fact that there are at least three guys in the half that are strong competitors. One of them I'm not sure I could beat even on a great day for me, but the other two I can "take" -- if I'm feeling strong. So, it would certainly bug me to get there, go all-out on the Saturday race......and then just don't have the whole package for the half, and not be able to finish ahead of those two. (The horror!!) At DoubleMussel '08 I really felt the lack of "snap" in my bike legs for the first 10-15 miles or so, and while I ended up doing well, it was still sort of frustrating....which led me to think I shouldn't try that again....a lesson I seem to have conveniently forgotten over the past couple of days.

Decisions, decisions!

2010-03-31 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2761602

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

Triple-T!

The N.C. one this year is new, and I tend to think of it as Triple-T "lite", as it's in a very flat area. The original Triple-T, however, is in Ohio and is a killer. The area is very hilly, and to add to the misery the water can be quite cold; it is held in the third week of May. I think a lot of peole will sign up for N.C. just to test themselves on a fairly easy course, in the hopes of seomeday tackling Triple-T Ohio.

The camaraderie at Triple-T is supposed to be legendary, aided by the fact that every partcipant has to wear the same top -- sort of a miltary uniform-based we're-in-this-together menality, i guess. Check out the descriptions for the Ohio one at www.americantripet.com!

A funny story is that for the short one on Friday, people are hyped and ready to fly. Come Saturday morning and the first oly, it's the same. The afternoon oly has people a bit slower on the mark, and the high-energy vibe just isn't there. And for the half on Sunday? People tend to show up at the sewim start mere minutes befoe it begins, and there are always a good handful who maye even start a bit late, just because it was easier to sleep in and postpone getting in the cold water and headoing off on 70.3 miles of HILLS!

But at the end, there's lots of tears of joy!

2010-04-01 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2761619

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
STEVE B-

WOW, I just checked out the link you posted for Triple T - wow, sounds like quite an event! And I bet the camaraderie is awesome...too funny about the same shirts for the 3 days...and I love how the excitement at the start dwindles by the time the 70.3 comes around...I bet that is an incredible event to finish.

Good luck with the decision - it is a tough one.  I think with your friends who you are competitive with doing your "training race" that makes it even harder. 

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-04-01 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2761262

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
SAquavia - 2010-03-31 6:23 PM

FYI, I don't think I've ever felt "good" on the first mile or so of ANY run - takes that long to work out the kinks, get the HR in order, get the stride right.  I think for some of us, that's just running.  :-)

Yeah, I would like to second that, and add that often I generally don't feel right until I am at about mile 3, and lately find running shorter distances harder (less comfortable) than longer distances....Which is weird because I think I am built like a sprinter (without much speed ha, or maybe a linebacker - short and stocky) not like a long distance runner (tall and lean). 

Anyway, great news that things are looking up in the running department.  I too, have had to slow (and stop interval training) for injury reasons and had to be talked off the edge of the injury cliff by Steve B...   Thanks for that BTW.

Cheers,
Mandy

2010-04-01 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2559115

New user
Hey folks. Hope everyone's having a good week (no talk of old injuries or new cropping up this week which is good!!). I've been volun-told I am working again this weekend (at least I have Sun off), so the training might take a slight hit. I do have my bike in the car and plan on doing my ride outside tonight at a park.

SteveA, congrats on doing so well at the Showdown!! Great recap! Great to read and think about and wonder what kind of needs one would have on a shorter race. Glad you took the time to 'vent' (not what you did at all) to get that all out in front of us. Some more questions we never thought we'd have!!

SteveB/Mandy/Denise/SteveA/etc, great discussion on the running and how/when/what to increase mileage. I've been doing a hybrid. I increase by 5-10% and then stay there for 2-3 weeks then increase again with no speedwork other than short runs are faste than long. Now that I'm on a Fitz plan though, my speedwork has increased and my overall distance has increased. (Part of this is my own inability to read his plans properly and went for a 60 min run when it was supposed to be 35. Knock on wood it went fairly well.).

Looking to register for my first 2 races this weekend.

SteveB, that's quite an interesting group of races you're looking to do!! I bet you could do'em all twice! Wink
2010-04-01 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2761404

User image

latestarter - 2010-03-31 5:02 PM
SAquavia - 2010-03-31 6:23 PM
latestarter - 2010-03-31 3:09 PM Just got back home.   Been out since 7:00 this morning for early morning swim, volunteer work, errands and THEN a RUN!!!!  Ta da!!!!!    My walk/run warm out didn't start out too promising - some pulling in tendons in back/inside of right leg, but it worked itself out so I did 3.03km of walk/run and then ran the 3.03 back without walking and absolutely no issues - not even the neuroma.  Kept it slow, but I read Steve's post today about putting aside the ego, and even though it kills me to see that run pace in my log, I know I am being smart.  

I think I am starting to get optimistic.   Smile

That's AWESOME!  Good to see the neuroma wasn't an issue - just run of the mill leg stuff.  Heh. 

FYI, I don't think I've ever felt "good" on the first mile or so of ANY run - takes that long to work out the kinks, get the HR in order, get the stride right.  I think for some of us, that's just running.  :-)

Thanks, Steve,    You know, I think you might have a point.  My husband often comments on what he thinks are my unrealistic expectations that I should have absolutely no aches or pains.   

You had mentioned in your race report having a special needs bag - and I was able to figure out that it is for special needs,   however, was wondering what kind of stuff you put in it.    Should we all have something like that? 

From what I understand, most races won't have a special needs bag option unless its an IM distance.  From what I understand from reading other forums is that somewhere around the mid-point of the bike and the run, you have an option of accessing a bag which you checked in prior to the race with whatever you wanted to put in it.  I read all sorts of stuff from creature comforts like a toothbrush and toothpaste to get the yucky taste of sports drink and gel out of your mouth, fresh socks, gum - to extra nutrition (sports drink powder of choice, gels, etc.) to gear like spare tubes, tires, air cartridges, body glide.  From what I understand it's a "use it or lose it" bag - they toss them after the race, so don't put anything in them that you don't mind seeing thrown away. 

Still formulating my plan for what I'll put in mine.  My friend and I were joking that we'd put some of those little airline bottles of alcohol into the run bag so that when we are sitting on someone's lawn half way through the marathon having a melt down and crying, we can have a drink.  LOL.
2010-04-01 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2761602

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-31 6:52 PM MANDY -At DoubleMussel '08 I really felt the lack of "snap" in my bike legs for the first 10-15 miles or so, and while I ended up doing well, it was still sort of frustrating....which led me to think I shouldn't try that again....a lesson I seem to have conveniently forgotten over the past couple of days. Decisions, decisions!

Isn't selective memory wonderful!!!  :-)
2010-04-01 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2761619

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-31 7:01 PM MANDY again -  The camaraderie at Triple-T is supposed to be legendary, aided by the fact that every partcipant has to wear the same top -- sort of a miltary uniform-based we're-in-this-together menality, i guess. 

I'm wondering how many people don't wash that top between races...
2010-04-01 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2762666

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
SAquavia - 2010-04-01 11:53 AM
Still formulating my plan for what I'll put in mine.  My friend and I were joking that we'd put some of those little airline bottles of alcohol into the run bag so that when we are sitting on someone's lawn half way through the marathon having a melt down and crying, we can have a drink.  LOL.

Ha ha ha this cracked me up.  Good one.  You should put a bunch of those airline bottles filled with full of water in your bag and just drink one of those now and then just to throw folks for a loop.  Hey I did a shot of beer at mile 25 of the Vermont City Marathon and got a PR....

2010-04-01 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Just got back from my first ride of the season, on my brand spankin' new bike! Woo hoo!

I set my sights a little too high though and was planning to ride for an hour. I knew about 15 minutes into it that I wouldn't make it that long. My butt was killing me (even with the padded knickers) and my upper back and shoulders were sore from riding in the low position. I suppose getting used to both of things is just a matter of time?

Anyway, I rode about 35 minutes, total of 8.2 miles, and averaged about 14 mph which I guess isn't bad for my first time on a bike in almost a year. Once I got used to the feel of the bike I was hitting 20 mph on some of the straightaways, which was really cool!

I hope to attempt clipless riding in the next month...

Tracey

2010-04-01 6:25 PM

Master
Kitchener

TRACEY,
Re: the types of speed training I do (Kind of long post, sorry

There are lots of books by many different authors and trainers out there, but one of my favorites is Endurance Athlete’s Edge by Marc Evans. I have several others, including the Training Bible, and both seemed overwhelming initially but after a few reads and a few years of training, it started to make sense.

Different authors will often use slightly different terminology to describe the same thing, which also helps to confuse us. But generally, training for s/b/r all comes down to a few simple concepts. It doesn’t need to be complicated.

The info below if from the Evan’s book. It worked for me, so I plan to stick with it.

You need to remember that if you have done no speed training to date, that you should start with only small amounts, and build up - maybe as SteveB has recently suggested - stick with a certain volume for 2-3 weeks and then increase it. However, for pacing, I would stick to the pace tables, referred to below.

The pace examples I have used are based on your goal time of 10 min per mile. (I hope I got that right).

If you are running say, 25 km (15mi) per week; you should be doing 19km at a moderate aerobic pace; about 4km race pace; 1.5 km V02 (slightly faster than race pace); and .75 LAC (all out speed)

TYPES OF SPEED TRAINING

Race Pace (LVT)

Anaerobic conditioning sets and interval training are workouts done at or near 10K race pace. Send off interval times are the same as for swimming and cycling, 5 to 60 seconds. That’s how much rest should be taken between intervals. LVT (race pace) training raises race pace stamina using the perceived exertion of somewhat hard to energetically hard.

EXAMPLE:

I. Warm up 1 to 1.5 miles at O2 pace (light jogging, break a sweat)

II. Do some training drills like high knees, skipping, kick butt (10-15 minutes)

III. MAIN SET

(A) 3 x 400 meters in 2:29 plus 1 minute walking/jogging

OR

(B) 1 x 3000 meters in 18:36 plus 1 minute walking/jogging, THEN 3 x 1000 meters in 6:12 plus 30 seconds between sets

FYI, your 1600 meter set would be done in 9:55.

Note: I would start with (A) rather than (B) at this point. As your body adapts to the speed, then increase to 1000 meter intervals, etc. etc.

IV. Warm-down 9 minutes - light jogging plus some more drills

Once you can do ALL three distances at these paces, then you can move up to the next pace level:

2:26 (400 meters) 6:06 (1000 meters) and 9:46 (1600 meters). Easy progression in pace to prevent injury.

VO2 (5% faster than race pace)

VO2 (aerobic capacity) sets are workout intervals above LVT (race pace) by approximately 5 percent. This training increases the aerobic capacity or maximum oxygen capacity (aerobic power). Efforts are slightly faster than race pace but NOT all out, and intervals are 2 to 8 minutes in duration. The total training of any one set is 21 minutes. VO2 workouts have a perceived exertion of energetically hard to very hard.

EXAMPLE:

I. Warm up: 2 miles at O2 (light jogging) pace, followed by running drills and then stretch lightly and then jog 3 minutes.

II. MAIN

(A) 5 x 600 meters in 3:32 plus 3:32 Resting/walking/jogging

OR

(B) 3 x 1000 in 5:53 plus 5:53 Resting/walking/jogging

FYI, your 800 meter pace would be 4:43 plus 4:43 RI

III. Warm down of 1 to 1.5 miles of light jogging, followed by a couple of running drills.

Once you can do all three distances at those paces, THEN and only then should you attempt the next level of pacing which would be: 3:29; 4:38 and 5:48 for each of the 600, 800, and 1000 meter intervals. This type of training and easy progression on pacing will help to keep you injury free - preventing you from going too hard/fast, too soon.

LAC (Fastest Speeds)

LAC (anaerobic capacity) training is the highest intensity training you will do. The perceived exertion is very hard to very, very hard. LAC intervals are from 10 to 120 seconds and are continued for a combined time of 4 to 10 minutes. The rest periods are TWICE the interval time for intervals of less than 1 minute of exercise time and three times the interval time for intervals of more than 1 minute.

For example, 100 meters in 20 seconds will have an additional rest time of 40 seconds; however, 800 meters in 2 minutes will have an additional rest time of 4 minutes. An important point to remember is that the final repetition of any LAC set should be equal to or faster than earlier repetitions. Always use your correct training pace for these intervals.

I. Warm up - 24 minutes of the following:

A. 8 minutes of light jogging

B. 6 minutes of Fartlek Accelerations (15 seconds on, then 45 seconds light jogging)

C. 4 minutes of stretching, more if needed

D. 4 minutes of High Knees; Kick Butt

E. 2 minutes of stretching

II. MAIN SET

A. 6 x 100 meters in 00:33 plus 2 x interval time

OR

B. 12 x 100 in 00:33 plus 2 x interval time.

As you get stronger, you can add 200 meter sets which would be done at a pace of 1:07 per 200 meters.

III. Warm down - 1 to 1.5 miles soft-surface jogging, working relaxed, tall posture and light feet.

--------------------------

For those people running longer distances, they can do some mixed sets of the 3 types of speed training, but for myself and probably you, I sometimes separate them; including it in the middle of one of my other weekly runs, especially, say the long run of the week.

Generally, I go to the track to do speed work because it is easy to figure out the distances. 

Hope you are able to get something out of this and not sorry you asked.    Wink

2010-04-01 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2762684

User image

Champion

GANG!

I've been in Ottawa ALL DAY, we just ate, and now we're off to do our annual owl survey. So, I will be back with great vigor tomorrow morning. Sorry to have been AWOL!

2010-04-01 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2764098

User image

Champion

Quickly, though....

STEVE -

I think the idea is that the top gets washed four times in total. But instead of minutes of wash/rinse, it is measured in distance. To wit: 200m, then 1500m, then 1500m again, and then 2000m all in the space of about 40 hours. That's a lot of distance in the water for that thing! Of course, it is always faintly redolent of neoprene, but that's better than nothing.

2010-04-01 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2763277

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
thall0672 - 2010-04-01 1:17 PM Just got back from my first ride of the season, on my brand spankin' new bike! Woo hoo! I set my sights a little too high though and was planning to ride for an hour. I knew about 15 minutes into it that I wouldn't make it that long. My butt was killing me (even with the padded knickers) and my upper back and shoulders were sore from riding in the low position. I suppose getting used to both of things is just a matter of time? Anyway, I rode about 35 minutes, total of 8.2 miles, and averaged about 14 mph which I guess isn't bad for my first time on a bike in almost a year. Once I got used to the feel of the bike I was hitting 20 mph on some of the straightaways, which was really cool! I hope to attempt clipless riding in the next month... Tracey

Hey Tracey
Good for you! And hitting 20mph - that's great!
I had the same problems as you when I started last year.  I also had the problem of my hands going numb because I was leaning too much on my hands and cutting off the circulation.  Things do improve the more you ride - I think the muscles adapt or something.  And I think I learned to ride keeping my upper body more relaxed.

I went for my 1st long clipless ride yesterday - wasn't bad - I tried to clip out and in quite a bit - clipping in took a few tries sometimes but never had a problem clipping out.  I think I worried about it more than I needed too.  So don't waste your time worrying about it.
Denise

2010-04-01 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2762725

User image

manfarr1974 - 2010-04-01 9:10 AM
SAquavia - 2010-04-01 11:53 AM

Ha ha ha this cracked me up.  Good one.  You should put a bunch of those airline bottles filled with full of water in your bag and just drink one of those now and then just to throw folks for a loop.  Hey I did a shot of beer at mile 25 of the Vermont City Marathon and got a PR....

That is BRILLIANT.  both the water thing and the beer.  I'm gonna do that for sure!
2010-04-01 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2764071

User image

latestarter - 2010-04-01 4:25 PM

TRACEY,

For those people running longer distances, they can do some mixed sets of the 3 types of speed training, but for myself and probably you, I sometimes separate them; including it in the middle of one of my other weekly runs, especially, say the long run of the week.

Generally, I go to the track to do speed work because it is easy to figure out the distances. 

Just keep in mind that typically, early on, lungs and muscles are much more capable of handling the pressures of speed work than joints, tendons and ligaments.  Make sure you have a good healthy base in place to toughen up all that connective tissue.

2010-04-01 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2764162

Master
Kitchener
SAquavia - 2010-04-01 8:15 PM

TRACEY,

Just keep in mind that typically, early on, lungs and muscles are much more capable of handling the pressures of speed work than joints, tendons and ligaments.  Make sure you have a good healthy base in place to toughen up all that connective tissue.

Yes, that is extremely important.   Thanks for pointing that out Steve.   I haven't been doing any speed work yet this season because I don't have a good healthy base right now.  
2010-04-02 8:16 AM

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for posting the gem from Marc Evans, and don't apologize for it being too long. You know, in my long-winded tendencies, NOTHING is too long!

I will try to make note of the fact your Evans post is on page 132, so that when this comes up again I will know where to steer people to it....and where to steer myself, for that matter.

That is another book that has gone missing; I think I've loaned/lost more books than I currently own. I'm hoping that there is a secret stash of them somewhere around the house. God knows there are enough piles of paper-based stuff here, so maybe I should dig my way through them. Sometimes I think that if I had just one or two more screws loose, I'd end up being like the Collyer brothers, those two ultra-eccentrics who lived (and died) amidst an unimaginable collection of junk (mostly paper) in their Manhattan mansion. E.L. Doctorow, I think it is, has written a novel based on their story, and I could probably have fun reading it. ANYHOW, I hope I don't end up like them!

But I digress!

2010-04-02 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2763277

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Halleloo! Your first ride on the new baby!

I can remember that same feeling -- planning on 60 minutes, bailing quite a bit short of that. But YES! It will get better, and that will happen quickly, I think.

My problems were several - back, shoulders, wrists, "sits bones". (I think I posted something about this to Diane a couple of months ago.) Of those, the first three improved quickly, and within just a few rides I was quite comfortable. And for me, the "sits bones" got with the program in short order, but that's not always the case. For some people, they need to work through a saddle or tow or more until they find one that works for them. The factors that matter are width and padding, of course, but beyond that there are gender-specific features that some people find useful. These range from "cut-outs" to sculpting to additional padding, I guess depending on where a person feels the need for something more or something less.

Hopefully for you, though, it'll be like it was for me -- just getting used to that new perch and figuring out how to msot comfortable on it.

14mph for a first ride is really good, and the fact that you hit 20mph at times, on the first ride, suggests that the fear gene is not a prominent part of your constitution. Mercy!

2010-04-02 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2764153

User image

Champion

DENISE -

And congrats to you, too, on a first long clipless ride! Unique feeling, isn't it?

Your point about being/staying relaxed is a good one, and that's one of the things that is really useful with aerobars. 90% of my riding is on my 'bars, and when I come up from them I can immediately feeling more tension as it courses up my arms, across my shoulders, and around my back. Straitjacketed! So when I do have to stay off my aerobars, I need to consciously make the effort to relax -- it's almost like reversing that flow of tension by starting the relaxing in my back and let it work down to my hands. Ommmmmmmmm........ Zen cycling!

2010-04-02 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Anne:

Thank you for the speed training information!

I took a look at what you wrote out, and also read the article that SteveB recommended from this month's Running Times ("Run Your Fastest 5k"), and came up with this plan for myself:

Week 1:

Monday: 20 minute tempo run (about 30 seconds per mile slower than my current "maintenance" or 5k pace)
Tuesday: 21 minute run at 5k pace
Wednesday: 21 minute run at 5k pace
Thursday: drills (skipping, high skipping, marching, high knee running, and bounding), followed by 20 minutes of hill work
Friday: 21 minute run at 5k pace
Saturday: 40 minute run at 5k pace
Sunday: rest

Week 2:

Monday: 20 x 400 meters (100m jog recoveries)
Tuesday: 21 minute run at 5k pace
Wednesday: fartlek: 10 x 60 second sprints at 11:15 min/mile (60 second recoveries)
Thursday: 14 minute run at 5k pace
Friday: 21 minute run at 5k pace
Saturday and Sunday: rest

Then I'll repeat those 2 weeks until race day. So if I start Monday I'll get 3 cycles of the above before my 5k on May 16th. Re-reading all of this, it now seems like a lot! I may have to back off it a bit either due to how my body responds, or time considerations (especially now that I've officially added riding into my training schedule).

By the way, do you always do your hill work outside? My treadmill has an incline function that goes up to 10. I'm just wondering if you (or anyone else) ever practice hills on the treadmill. I expect I may need to do it once or twice. But I'm not sure how much of an incline to use.

Thank you!

Tracey

2010-04-02 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2764162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-04-01 8:15 PM

TRACEY,

Very good point Steve.

Given the neuroma and knee issues I'm already having, I'll be very conscious of how my body responds to the speed work.

I'm also trying to incorporate the relaxation element of Chi Running into my training, which according to Danny Dreyer will result in less injury and strain.

Thanks!

Tracey

2010-04-02 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2764828

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-02 9:30 AM

TRACEY -

Halleloo! Your first ride on the new baby!

I can remember that same feeling -- planning on 60 minutes, bailing quite a bit short of that. But YES! It will get better, and that will happen quickly, I think.

My problems were several - back, shoulders, wrists, "sits bones". (I think I posted something about this to Diane a couple of months ago.) Of those, the first three improved quickly, and within just a few rides I was quite comfortable. And for me, the "sits bones" got with the program in short order, but that's not always the case. For some people, they need to work through a saddle or tow or more until they find one that works for them. The factors that matter are width and padding, of course, but beyond that there are gender-specific features that some people find useful. These range from "cut-outs" to sculpting to additional padding, I guess depending on where a person feels the need for something more or something less.

Hopefully for you, though, it'll be like it was for me -- just getting used to that new perch and figuring out how to msot comfortable on it.

14mph for a first ride is really good, and the fact that you hit 20mph at times, on the first ride, suggests that the fear gene is not a prominent part of your constitution. Mercy!

SteveB:

My husband just got a new seat for his mountain bike and he loves it. Says it's much more comfortable than the one he had before. (Although in mountain biking he's not sitting nearly as much as a road biker is). I'm hoping to get accustomed to it, but I'll keep the idea of a new seat in the back of my mind!

Thanks,

Tracey

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276