BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-02 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2765089

User image

Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
thall0672 - 2010-04-02 8:42 AM Anne: By the way, do you always do your hill work outside? My treadmill has an incline function that goes up to 10. I'm just wondering if you (or anyone else) ever practice hills on the treadmill. I expect I may need to do it once or twice. But I'm not sure how much of an incline to use. Thank you! Tracey

I prefer doing hill work on a treadmill if you can stand the boredom!  Treadmills are great as you can get a good uphill workout without having to deal with the pounding that happens coming back downhill after.  For me, that's where the real pain ensues.  Sure, you'll need to do some work on downhills to get proficient at the stride and dealing with the physical part of it, but I think it's a good idea to avoid too much downhill work if possible.  (As an aside, I think all the hamstring/knee issues I'm having right now are directly related to that long downhill run I did two weeks ago.)

2010-04-02 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2765232

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
SAquavia - 2010-04-02 12:46 PM
I prefer doing hill work on a treadmill if you can stand the boredom!  Treadmills are great as you can get a good uphill workout without having to deal with the pounding that happens coming back downhill after.  For me, that's where the real pain ensues.  Sure, you'll need to do some work on downhills to get proficient at the stride and dealing with the physical part of it, but I think it's a good idea to avoid too much downhill work if possible.  (As an aside, I think all the hamstring/knee issues I'm having right now are directly related to that long downhill run I did two weeks ago.)

Steve A - I am 100% with you on the pain of downhill in hill repeats.  I have a 3.2 mile hill 3-9% grade (I consider it one, long hill repeat.  My go-to 5k from hell.  I love it) I run from my house that I always drive up, drop my bike, drive down, run up, and ride down.  Sounds crazy, right?  But running down that kills my body.  I haven't done it lately because of my AT issue.

I do hill work outside because I have trouble staying on a treadmill - literally, I just can't stay on them.  I have flown off the back more than once because I get bored, see something shiny, get distracted and miss-step and WHAM. Off the back I go.  I am like Dory on Finding Nemo, I swear.  I once flew off a treadmill in a full hotel gym and landed in the foam rollers (luckily I wasn't in front of the free weights).  I sheepishly left, and had to come back in to get my iPod.  Embarassed  So now I just say I am allergic to them. 

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-04-02 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2765284

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-02 12:22 PM

SAquavia - 2010-04-02 12:46 PM

Steve A - I am 100% with you on the pain of downhill in hill repeats.  I have a 3.2 mile hill 3-9% grade (I consider it one, long hill repeat.  My go-to 5k from hell.  I love it) I run from my house that I always drive up, drop my bike, drive down, run up, and ride down.  Sounds crazy, right?  But running down that kills my body.  I haven't done it lately because of my AT issue.

I do hill work outside because I have trouble staying on a treadmill - literally, I just can't stay on them.  I have flown off the back more than once because I get bored, see something shiny, get distracted and miss-step and WHAM. Off the back I go.  I am like Dory on Finding Nemo, I swear.  I once flew off a treadmill in a full hotel gym and landed in the foam rollers (luckily I wasn't in front of the free weights).  I sheepishly left, and had to come back in to get my iPod.  Embarassed  So now I just say I am allergic to them. 

Cheers,
Mandy

Ditto. I really dislike downhill running, and also use the treadmill as much as I can for hill work.
Mark
2010-04-02 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Tracey,
Your schedule has you running 5-6 times a week- and that's in addition to swimming and biking?  I think that might be too much.  I'm interested in what SteveB thinks.
Denise
2010-04-02 4:10 PM

User image

Bringing out the Big Guns!
Well, maybe the "small guns?"  I went to the LBS to see about changing out my gearing.  I currently run:
Ultegra SL Crank: 53/39
Shimano 105 Cassette:  12-25

Wanted to shift to:
Crank:  53/36
Cassette: 11-28

The combo of the 36 in front and 28 in back would have given me the ability to climb the side of a skyscraper from a seated position while filling in sudoko puzzles and sipping lattes. 

Alas, my hope of getting that 36 on the front is dashed, as my big ring is a 53 - which means it would be too much of a drop from 53 to 36.  If my big ring had been a 52, I could have JUST done it.  My only option to get a 36 small ring is to get a new crank.  Which would cost several more hundred dollars.  And, even if I could afford it, I fear that I'd give up too much power in the higher gears on descents and end up free-wheeling. 

Anyway, no worries, I'm sure the 11/28 alone will suffice - getting it swapped out on Tuesday.

This weekend's 6,000 feet of climbing will be brought to us by the numbers 12, 25, and the letter "F" as in "F" YOU HILL!!!  :-)
2010-04-02 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2765645

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2010-04-02 4:54 PM Tracey,
Your schedule has you running 5-6 times a week- and that's in addition to swimming and biking?  I think that might be too much.  I'm interested in what SteveB thinks.
Denise

I tend to agree with Denise.   In week 2 with your 20 x 400 meters, I'm assuming that is a track, speed session.    I think 8km is too much to be doing so soon, and in one session, given your current base and the fact you are just starting speed work.   4km would be more than enough.   

2010-04-02 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2758539

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-30 4:22 PM ME AND MUSSELMAN Two years ago I did DoubleMussel88.7. This is the sprint (750meter, 16miles, 3.2miles) on the Saturday, the half-iron the next day. I had good races both days, but ultimately felt that going reallly hard on the sprint cost me maybe 10 minutes on the half. I could never prove that, but it's just a feeling based on where I felt my energy levels were at during the half. I told myself I wouldn't do that again, and were I to do the half, I would make that count. This year I have been contemplating doing the sprint and not really thinking about the half. But in considering American Triple-T North Carolina (see below), I started thinking that doing a "double", such as Mussel88.7, would be good prep. So, I'm now into the territory of considering both - the DoubleMussel88.7 - and leaning towards that as a serious plan. I would likely make the sprint my "A" race, with the half-iron weighing in at "B", maybe "B+". Another scheme of mine is Fronhofer Tool Triathlon Double, which is an oly at 7am and then a sprint at 1pm, same day. That is kind of equivalent to what I did for the Chicago Triathlon "Triple Challenge" in '08 -- super-sprint on Saturday, then the sprint at 6am on Sunday folloewed by the olympic at 9:30am. And when I talk about Triple-T N.C., which is Oct. 8-10, here's what it involves: Friday evening supersprint Saturday morning olympic in the standard order -- S,B,R Saturday afternoon olympic, in skewed order -- B,S,R Sunday morning half-iron So, doing the "Mini-Mussel" (sprint) Saturday and Musselman (half-iron) on Sunday makes some sense if I want it to begin to approximate what will happen to me if I do Triple-T. Any thoughts, gang??

STEVE,

Truthfully?    I think you are crazy MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.        
2010-04-02 7:10 PM

Master
Kitchener
  MANDY,

I tried a great new Quinoa recipe the other day.   Quinoa and cremini mushrooms served on a bed of sauteed swiss chard with garlic and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.   It was SO good warm and even better cold the next day.   Let me know if you are interested, and I will give you the recipe.  

Chef 2

2010-04-02 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2742651

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
stevebradley - 2010-03-23 9:32 AM You're right that you can do a brick and have some of the desired effect, but I sledom find bricks to be close to what I am really aiming for. But I bring a lot of competitiveness to my racing, and I guess I need the others around me to push me and "keep me honest". For you at this stage of things, you're not looking to be highly competitive, you're just hoping to get a feel for what it's like to ride hard and then go out on a fiarly fast run, as well as to test your fitness.

Steve,

I haven't figured out how to check who's registered for the May 23rd sprint we talked about. Have you been able to figure it out? I'm still debating it, but I also don't wanna miss out if the  The points you bring up are very convincing, especially the part about pushing yourself harder in a race rather than a brick.

And yeah, I'm pretty lucky to be able to pick and choose pretty much whichever race I want when I want it, usually within a 1-2 hour drive from home. In that respect, Colorado rocks!

Also, thanks for the pep-talk about intimidation. Definitely helped ease my nerves a bit. I figure I'll be so involved with myself and pushing myself hard enough that come race day, that'll be the last thing on my mind.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of doing the same thing over again, like loops in the bike leg, which is also why all my runs and bikes are loops (the only time they're ok is when I only do them once, of course ) instead of out-and-backs. I like seeing new things, but I figure for my first tri, it could actually be an advantage in figuring out the course.

Anywhos, I'm still slightly hesitant about signing up, partially because of finances but also with timing and all that, so yeah, still thinking about it.

Kasia
2010-04-02 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2765887

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
latestarter - 2010-04-02 8:10 PM   MANDY,

I tried a great new Quinoa recipe the other day.   Quinoa and cremini mushrooms served on a bed of sauteed swiss chard with garlic and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.   It was SO good warm and even better cold the next day.   Let me know if you are interested, and I will give you the recipe.  

OHHH Yes! Yummy! Definitely want the recipe!
2010-04-02 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2742751

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
latestarter - 2010-03-23 9:53 AM

I don't remember if it was KASIA who posted that they had a 31/32 stroke count.    That is exactly what I had when I first started swimming and it was in a 20 meter pool.    It DOES improve.  

Anne,

How did you improve it? Just by swimming more and getting more endurance? Or with the help of drills like the catch-up people have been talking about? I feel like there's something fundamentally wrong with my stroke, but then again, I'm not in the best swimming shape either, so that could be a problem as well.

Kasia

2010-04-02 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2765664

Master
Kitchener
SAquavia - 2010-04-02 5:10 PM Bringing out the Big Guns!
Well, maybe the "small guns?"  I went to the LBS to see about changing out my gearing.  I currently run:
Ultegra SL Crank: 53/39
Shimano 105 Cassette:  12-25

Wanted to shift to:
Crank:  53/36
Cassette: 11-28

The combo of the 36 in front and 28 in back would have given me the ability to climb the side of a skyscraper from a seated position while filling in sudoko puzzles and sipping lattes. 

Alas, my hope of getting that 36 on the front is dashed, as my big ring is a 53 - which means it would be too much of a drop from 53 to 36.  If my big ring had been a 52, I could have JUST done it.  My only option to get a 36 small ring is to get a new crank.  Which would cost several more hundred dollars.  And, even if I could afford it, I fear that I'd give up too much power in the higher gears on descents and end up free-wheeling. 

Anyway, no worries, I'm sure the 11/28 alone will suffice - getting it swapped out on Tuesday.

This weekend's 6,000 feet of climbing will be brought to us by the numbers 12, 25, and the letter "F" as in "F" YOU HILL!!!  :-)

STEVE,

I have and Ultegra SL Crank: 5/39 and Shimano Ultegra Cassette: 12-27.    Do you think I should have another cassette for different race conditions?   What would you recommend?   I think SteveB said the 12-27 is not the greatest for flat conditions?    Right now, most of my races are a mix of rolling to steep hills with flat sections - probably 50/50.    Although I think the Muskoka race in July might be more hilly. 

Have fun this weekend.  WOW - 6000 feet of climbing.    Enjoy the view.  
2010-04-02 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2765904

Master
Kitchener
augeremt - 2010-04-02 8:29 PM
latestarter - 2010-03-23 9:53 AM

I don't remember if it was KASIA who posted that they had a 31/32 stroke count.    That is exactly what I had when I first started swimming and it was in a 20 meter pool.    It DOES improve.  

Anne,

How did you improve it? Just by swimming more and getting more endurance? Or with the help of drills like the catch-up people have been talking about? I feel like there's something fundamentally wrong with my stroke, but then again, I'm not in the best swimming shape either, so that could be a problem as well.

Kasia

Hi Kasia,

For me, swimming more didn't help me with my stroke count.   I did get tremendous endurance, but the speed never improved, nor the count.    Not until I started to take some stroke correction classes based on total immerson.   Helped me get more comfortable in the water, more balanced/streamlined.   Lots of drills.   But the problem for me with the drills like catch up, and trying to get the long glide to reduce the stroke count was that it broke my swim stroke down so much that it was like all I could do was the drill and forgot how to 'swim'. 

The real eye opener for me was that my cadence was WAY to slow; I was putting NO power/effort into the stroke - it was beautiful they say - just not getting me anywhere.    Once I learned how to put the biceps and triceps into use and actually 'finish' my stroke - the count reduced.     Technique is really important, but I learned that you do have to put some effort into it.    I still have a hard time with that and I don't know why.   I can push like crazy on the bike and run but not the swim.  

It might help if you took 2 or 3 lessons with someone who could give you some concrete feedback on your stroke.    I still see someone every 3-4 weeks for that purpose.
2010-04-02 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2765284

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-02 1:22 PM
  I once flew off a treadmill in a full hotel gym and landed in the foam rollers (luckily I wasn't in front of the free weights).  I sheepishly left, and had to come back in to get my iPod.  Embarassed  So now I just say I am allergic to them. 

Cheers,
Mandy

That's hilarious!

2010-04-02 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2765876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-04-02 7:58 PM

LadyNorth - 2010-04-02 4:54 PM Tracey,
Denise

I tend to agree with Denise.   In week 2 with your 20 x 400 meters, I'm assuming that is a track, speed session.    I think 8km is too much to be doing so soon, and in one session, given your current base and the fact you are just starting speed work.   4km would be more than enough.   

Denise and Anne:

Thanks for your feedback on my training plan.

You know, I did the math for the 20 x 400 m workout, and realized how long it is! (That dang metric system gets me every time...) You're right Anne, half that would be plenty I think. And at my pace it would take forever.

I'm hoping 5 days a week of running won't become too much, only because many of the sessions are pretty short (21 minutes or less). If it does, I'll probably cut out one or two of the 21 minute runs, keeping the tempo run, the drills and the intervals.

2010-04-02 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2765990

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
thall0672 - 2010-04-02 9:45 PM
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-02 1:22 PM   I once flew off a treadmill in a full hotel gym and landed in the foam rollers (luckily I wasn't in front of the free weights).  I sheepishly left, and had to come back in to get my iPod.  Embarassed  So now I just say I am allergic to them. 

Cheers,
Mandy
That's hilarious!

Yeah it is pretty funny.  That is probably the 3rd most embarrassing thing I have done.  You guys will get to hear the other two sometime. 

2010-04-03 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2766002

User image

Champion

HEY GANG!

Sorry I was slightly slack again yesterday, as things - yard stuff, bird surveys, training, my on-going cold - keep derailing me. I departed the computer yesterday still owing SHAUN and STEVE some decent responses, and now even more have added to my to-do list. Yikes! There are some good discussions happening, though, and it seems as if you are all doing quite well, whirling into springspringSPRING! (It was 78 here yesterday, and I knocked off a 2-hour ride.)

Lovely morning here again, and I'm looking at a brisk brick later on. Any ambitious plans in the works, all?

2010-04-03 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2766234

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Some races list entrants, others don't. It is getting better, overall, but it's still only about 30% that have a link for "entrants" or "participants", while others have the info in the bowls of the actual registration page or as some link through the organization that conducts the registrations. The huge race series in the southeast - SetUp Events - is great about this, with lists for every single one of their dozens (literally) of races. Many of the upstate NY races are also good. Tri-Miane, Tri-Columbia, and Piranha-Sposrts have lists ---- of course, none of that is helping you right now, is it?

I will look for the list for yours, but no promises - some things are beyond my control!

2010-04-03 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2765664

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
SAquavia - 2010-04-02 4:10 PM

Love your posts Steve. I'm heading out for my first outdoor ride of the year. Minimal hills, but more than with the trainer . I'll adopt your attitude. Mark
2010-04-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2765887

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
latestarter - 2010-04-02 7:10 PM

MANDY,

Chef 2

Anne
Please post. I'm always looking for new recipes. This sounds great.
Mark
2010-04-03 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Well, I ran into my first "full" race, where registration is closed - it is the Oly I was most leaning toward, Trinona with the 'battle for the bluff' hill. I have singed up for the waiting list, but it also says "A Limited Number of Trinona Charity Slots will become available starting Wednesday, April 21 at Noon". Does anyone know how this works - how do I make myself (more of ) a charity case?

I have another option that weekend and guess I'd better get signed up for that race so I don't miss out on both. There are only a few races close enough to not make attend a HUGE process given family and stuff.

Mark

2010-04-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2766234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-03 8:04 AM

Any ambitious plans in the works, all?

No ambitious plans for me, except chasing my son around and trying to keep him occupied. This is my husband's weekend to work, so I call it my single parent weekend.

Tracey

2010-04-03 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2766390

User image

Champion

MARK -

Aww, that's too bad about Trinona -- I was looking forward to your account of attacking the bluff!

As for charity spots, I think that will require you to raise a certain minimum amount of money for a race-chosen charity. That's where you can make yourself more of a charity case -- go around, hat in hand, pleading for money!

I will ask my daughter about this, as I thibnk it's a charity spot she has for Covered Bridges Half-Marathon. She is raising money for Alzheimers, and her target is maybe $500. She gets the forms and all from the charitable oragnization itself, but the funds-finding is all up top her. And I think she still had to pay the registration fee, it's just now she has to hustle for it!

Another way this might work is that you pay more to race, but don't have to raise money. So, say the registration fee is normally $90, well, you might have to pay $250 to race, but at least you don't have to go around soliciting funds. As I re-read you post, my guess is that the charity slots will run that way, with yopu paying more. Otherwise, they'd get you started fund-raising now. Maybe?

And I really like your line: "....how do I make myself (more of ) a charity case?"
2010-04-03 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2766450

User image

Champion

MARK again -

And I think you should register for at least one race in Minnesoat, preferably near the Twin Cities. Afterall, if your family can drag you up there for shopping, you can drag yourself (and maybe even them) up there for a race. Am I right, or am I right?

All power to the sherpa!!

2010-04-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2766002

User image

Champion

MANDY -

How long do we have to wait for the other two? I'm giddy with anticipation right now!

You tease, you!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276