BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-05-14 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4739049

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open for Training
Got up this morning and used a guest pass at the YMCA and swam 500 yards. Felt pretty good about it but still have a long ways to go and a short time to get there. Haha

2013-05-18 6:43 PM
in reply to: sspicer

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training
Originally posted by sspicer

GaryRM - 2013-05-08 12:20 PM

sspicer - 2013-05-06 9:55 PM Race report up.  I think it's public so anyone can see but if I did it wrong, please let me know (and how to fix it).  Feedback would be appreciated (although I do believe I know what went "wrong" with this race).

FYI, Great RR.  I commented on your thread.  Nice job!

Thanks for taking the time to read and the comment on the thread.  I am taking this week "off" and have put together my training plan for the next race.  Plan to do another sprint the 1st weekend in August. Another local one for me.  Originally I had planned to go to my old stomping grounds but the swim is 200m in a pool.  Not interested.

Congrats triathlete! just read your race report. Nice report and good job!

Somehow I missed this post. Sorry!
2013-05-19 2:50 PM
in reply to: GaryRM

User image

Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group
Gary, I just finished my first Triathlon yesterday. It was the Memphis in May Sprint Triathlon. I wanted to thank you and all the members of "Gary's Mentor Group" for the questions and remarks that have been posted over the last 5 months. I have read quite a few of them and they have helped. It was an experience that I waited for and finally arrived whether I was ready or not. Once I passed the gate to hit the water quite a few things came very clear over the next 1hr and 49 minutes that I had not considered:
1) While swimming in the pool is good, it did not 100% prepare me for swimming in open water like a lake. I could not see the bottom (which can be a little strange). Suddenly I was overwhelmed with adrenaline and a burst of nerves that meets water that is cooler than I expect and I could not swim correctly.
2) Finally I reached T1 where I had laid out all of my gear. I washed my feet and dried them off 100%, not a problem, right. Got my socks and shoes on and mounted my borrowed mountain bike and off I went for my 12 mile cruise through the Delta. All went well, but slower than I wanted due to a nice head wind for 6 miles slowed that.
3) Once I got back to the T2 I realized that my training on a training bike had come back to haunt me. When I dismounted my bike I could not hardly walk because I was hunched over for 12 mile and my back was extremely stiff. Once I started the run I was lucky to get up to a fast walk. Stopping was not an option but I was really concerned whether I was going to be able to make it or not. After struggling for 2 miles my back loosed up to the point where I could run about to an 11 minute mile run.

After crossing the finish line I just about collapsed, my back and legs just about gave out. I finally made it back to the bike rack and changed my shoes. This is where I found I had tore up my toe nails and rubbed big patched of skin off on my toes. You remember I said I dried off my feet 100%, well that's what I thought, well they were still damp and my shoes multiplied that.

Would I do it gain, at first I said no but after thinking about it over the night I think that I would change that to a positively YES, but with knowledge of past mistakes.

Thanks Gary's Mentor Group.

David Guy
Saltillo, MS
2013-05-19 7:25 PM
in reply to: Kartracerguy

User image

Congratulations on the finish. I am glad you have decided to keep at it also. I hope that I make the same decision this August after my first tri.

Got a very long brick in today. Total of 30 miles. 18 on the bike in 1 hr 8 mins. And then 12 mile run in 2 hr 10 mins. Took everything I had to finish. I did learn that what I thought would work for a nutrition plan won't work at all. I ran out of water 8.5 miles into my run. I did finish but collapsed in my parents front yard. Still not a bad time for me though. Tomorrow is an off day and then a swim on Tuesday morning with a short run at lunch.
2013-05-19 7:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Edited by Brett's 2013-05-19 7:27 PM
2013-05-19 8:26 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Originally posted by Kartracerguy

Gary, I just finished my first Triathlon yesterday. It was the Memphis in May Sprint Triathlon. I wanted to thank you and all the members of "Gary's Mentor Group" for the questions and remarks that have been posted over the last 5 months. I have read quite a few of them and they have helped. It was an experience that I waited for and finally arrived whether I was ready or not. Once I passed the gate to hit the water quite a few things came very clear over the next 1hr and 49 minutes that I had not considered:
1) While swimming in the pool is good, it did not 100% prepare me for swimming in open water like a lake. I could not see the bottom (which can be a little strange). Suddenly I was overwhelmed with adrenaline and a burst of nerves that meets water that is cooler than I expect and I could not swim correctly.
2) Finally I reached T1 where I had laid out all of my gear. I washed my feet and dried them off 100%, not a problem, right. Got my socks and shoes on and mounted my borrowed mountain bike and off I went for my 12 mile cruise through the Delta. All went well, but slower than I wanted due to a nice head wind for 6 miles slowed that.
3) Once I got back to the T2 I realized that my training on a training bike had come back to haunt me. When I dismounted my bike I could not hardly walk because I was hunched over for 12 mile and my back was extremely stiff. Once I started the run I was lucky to get up to a fast walk. Stopping was not an option but I was really concerned whether I was going to be able to make it or not. After struggling for 2 miles my back loosed up to the point where I could run about to an 11 minute mile run.

After crossing the finish line I just about collapsed, my back and legs just about gave out. I finally made it back to the bike rack and changed my shoes. This is where I found I had tore up my toe nails and rubbed big patched of skin off on my toes. You remember I said I dried off my feet 100%, well that's what I thought, well they were still damp and my shoes multiplied that.

Would I do it gain, at first I said no but after thinking about it over the night I think that I would change that to a positively YES, but with knowledge of past mistakes.

David Guy
Saltillo, MS

David - Congrats!!!! That first one is the toughest to get thru but the most fun. One of the reasons we always try to set the goals for the first race is just finish. Now you have a baseline to compare future races to!

While most of the rest will be fixed by more training the shoes incident is a bit unique. I have done lots of races with my feet a little wet and never have had your issue. Something else is going on there IMHO. Are you using running socks or just cotton socks? How old are your shoes. If you put on socks even with a little dampness it should not have ripped up your feet like that. Something is wrong there.

2013-05-19 8:32 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
All,
Yesterday had a reminder that everyone needs to know how to properly use their CO2 dispenser. So yesterday I head out on my ride and having a good time. About mile 7 I am trying to fly along but I start to notice that it is getting harder and harder, by mile 9 I notice my front tire is pretty low. Oh carp, I left my good wheel on with the latex tube. Sure enough tire is low but I am only a couple of miles from home. Decide to chance just using the CO2 to top off and ride home. Screw cartridge in and attempt to use. Dang thing is stuck then suddenly releases. I do get some air in but tire doesn't hold.

Replace tube, put in 2nd cartridge and got it right this time. Looks like the rim tape on this wheel gave up the ghost. Ordered some rim protectors (easier than rim tape) and will put on before my next race.

Now off to see how I can get email notifications when folks post to this thread.
2013-05-19 8:49 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by GaryRM

Originally posted by Kartracerguy

David Guy
Saltillo, MS

David - Congrats!!!! That first one is the toughest to get thru but the most fun. One of the reasons we always try to set the goals for the first race is just finish. Now you have a baseline to compare future races to!

While most of the rest will be fixed by more training the shoes incident is a bit unique. I have done lots of races with my feet a little wet and never have had your issue. Something else is going on there IMHO. Are you using running socks or just cotton socks? How old are your shoes. If you put on socks even with a little dampness it should not have ripped up your feet like that. Something is wrong there.

X2, congrats triathlete David! Did doing the race make you feel alive?

I'm with Gary on the feet thing. Either your shoes are too loose or the socks were cotton and loose, or both. Should be fixable.
2013-05-19 9:35 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Thanks everyone for encouragement. During the race I did feel alive. Most of my training was in biking, running and weigh conditioning. I had done 5 or so 5K's prior to this, so the running and biking was most comfortable to me, other that the back issue, but my legs were up for the challenge. The shoe issue I cannot figure out. I have used these Asics 2170 shoes for several months and have run and walked in the many time before. I use cotton blend compression socks, so the only thing that I can think of is that I may not have gotten them tight enough in the hast to get out of T1. I know next time I will beg, borrow, or steal a better bike. One down and many to come.

Dave
2013-05-20 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Congrats David, another triathlete!
2013-05-22 9:23 AM

User image

Well got another swim in this morning. Managed 1000yds in 40 mins with a 1min rest between each 100yd set. I did get a couple of 200yrd sets in the mix. Planning on riding the bike to work in the morning so that will give me about 25 miles on the bike. So long as the rain holds out I will run 6 miles on my lunch today and Friday.

I am getting excited about training again and it shows with the work that I have done this last week. I am also only 2 pounds off of my first weight goal of 195lbs!

2013-05-24 11:16 PM
in reply to: dwpiggott

User image

Haven't seen any new posts lately. Hope everyone is doing ok. I haven't done much this week since I did such a long session last Sunday. I may try to get out and ride this weekend some though. Have a safe Memorial weekend everyone!
2013-05-25 9:05 AM
in reply to: Brett's

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
For some reason even though I have it set to notify me I am not getting notifications of new posts. Will have to investigate.

As for the shoes two items:
1. If you have been running and walking in them for several months they may be due for replacement. I am a bit heavier then some runners (175 lb) and around 200 miles I get another pair and alternate. I also run in the 2170's
2. Have you looked into the elastic shoe laces? Easy in and out, quick to tighten and if you are tying your shoelaces now it will save you a few seconds in transition.

Been riding with some swimming lately. Worried about shin splints and will take another couple of days off before resuming running. Flying out to NC tomorrow to see family but due to work I have to fly back Monday. DD will spend the week with her Grandmother there. Rode today and felt good to be on the road as opposed to the trainer but my legs were a bit weak.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2013-05-26 7:55 AM

User image

3rd House on the Left
Well gang, I finish my first post-knee surgery tri last Saturday (5/18). I finished 4th in my age group (1:47 off the podium) and 27th overall. In the process I set PR in every phase. Thank you everyone for all the advice I have seen posted. I have tried to implement some of into my training. My next sprint is set for Father's Day. Unfortunately my dad will still be in a walking boot and won't be racing(he injure it finishing 2nd in his 70+ age group in the same race), but it will be my 10 year old's first race and will be a blast. I'll keep everyone updated!

Pat
2013-05-26 11:33 PM
in reply to: Patman99

User image

Well gang, I finish my first post-knee surgery tri last Saturday (5/18). I finished 4th in my age group (1:47 off the podium) and 27th overall. In the process I set PR in every phase. Thank you everyone for all the advice I have seen posted. I have tried to implement some of into my training. My next sprint is set for Father's Day. Unfortunately my dad will still be in a walking boot and won't be racing(he injure it finishing 2nd in his 70+ age group in the same race), but it will be my 10 year old's first race and will be a blast. I'll keep everyone updated!

Great job Pat!! Sorry to hear about ur dads foot injury though. It sounds like he had a great day as well. I hope that my kids will be interested in tris when they get older. Good luck to you and your son.
2013-05-27 10:30 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Originally posted by Patman99

Pat

Congrats!!! Very nice job! Sorry to hear about your Dad but good luck to your son.

Flew out to N.C. yesterday and back today just in time to head out and load 40 bales of hay into the trailer to take home and load into the barn. Great upper body workout. Hope everyone had a great Memorial day!

2013-05-31 7:43 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Next race up tomorrow. A mini-sprint (400m/12/2 mi). Should be fun but swim training has been spotty at best.
2013-06-01 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Did okay, took 2nd in my AG. Had a okay swim, great ride, lousy run (just could not breath). But had a lot of fun! RR later.
2013-06-03 9:33 AM

User image

3rd House on the Left
David-

Be proud of your accomplishment! You did what 99% of people can't or won't do, and thats finish a triathlon. I'm sure you've had time to reflect back on the race and think about what you would have done differently. What I did after my first was write down what i could have done differently to prepapre and then I made sure I incorporated that into prep for my next one. I can tell you it made a HUGE difference in my 2nd race.

Pat
2013-06-03 9:37 AM

User image

3rd House on the Left
Awesome! I have a mini sprint(400m/10/2.5) this weekend AND next both with my 10 year old. Many of you may remember I was slated to race on Father's Day with my dad and son...well Dad is still in a walking boot for his Achilles tendonitis after his finsh in Escape from Fort Delaware, so my son ans I were going to move our race back a week to a closer venue. The race director offered me a deal if we did both weeks(since we had issues moving races) so I guess I'm going to find out how quick I can recover from one race to the next.....details to follow.

Pat
2013-06-05 12:38 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Good luck this weekend!

As for me I restarted working out yesterday with an easy swim and ride. Next training plan starts in a couple of weeks but for now I workout when I want.

2013-06-06 9:12 PM

User image

Regular
NW Houston
Originally posted by GaryRM

Good luck this weekend!

As for me I restarted working out yesterday with an easy swim and ride. Next training plan starts in a couple of weeks but for now I workout when I want.

"New" BT has me confused. I've seen no new posts in this thread since this one. Help?
2013-06-07 11:29 PM
in reply to: sspicer

User image

Is anyone still posting on this thread? Not much activity out there. I guess we are busy racing and spending time with families now that it is summer. Hope everyone is still doing ok.
2013-06-12 9:41 PM
in reply to: Brett's

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Actually I have been down with a chest cold and am finally getting back up to speed. No work outs for at least another a few days. Sorry I have been gone but not much sleep and have been feeling like crud.

2013-06-13 10:22 PM

User image

Hey gang I might reach a huge milestone this week! If everything goes as planned I will reach 106 miles of training in 7 days! I rode 32.5 Sunday ran 3 Monday rode 25.5 Tuesday swam .5 Wednesday and then am planing a long ride Saturday and a long run Sunday. I feel great and can tell that I am getting lean. Not losing much weight but am still losing inches off of my waste. I am down almost 4 pant sizes since I started this journey. Hope all of you are doing well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115