BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-12-02 4:35 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED

Originally posted by wbayek
.  ................. and I was watching Ohio State-Michigan thinking about Matt and Dirk. What a great finish and even though it didn't work, I really love the attitude to go for the win.

I'm having a really tough issue to deal with. Thanksgiving night, I had intense pain, in my ... um .. groin area. It was take your breath away, can't think type pain. For you boys out there, very similar to what it feels like just as the ball hits you in that sensitive area, but constant. Well, after a full day of poking, prodding, fluid analysis, etc., the best diagnosis is that i have an ilioinguinal nerve entrapment. If I sit completely still it's not **too** bad, but when I move around I am debilitated for 10-20 minutes while the pains subsides. NSAIDs would help, but I have a severe allergic reaction to them so i can't take them. I hate complaining, but I'm just letting you guys know since you're my support group, so say a prayer for me and I really hope it goes away soon so I can get back to training!!!!!

I agree Warren, Hoke making that call was something I haven seen in a Michigan coach anytime I remember since I've been a fan.  One of the reasons Lloyd Carr was fired, in my opinion, was because he would always play "not to lose" rather than playing to win. Never took any chances!  Never anymore risk than had to be taken.  I hate that about most Big Ten coaches in general.  And one of the reasons the B10 is abysmal when it comes to bowl games.  One example of my point is how many times this season a B10 team has tried to block a punt versus an SEC, ACC team.

About that pain.  I would occasionally get something similar as that for a while after having a vasectomy.  Happily for me it wouldn't last very long, nor would in be as severe as yours.  Keep as immobile as possible for a while and see if things relocate to where their supposed to be.

2013-12-02 4:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by jenbmosley

Okay Dirk -- I'm penciling in the 4th run for each week. We shall see what happens. I hate pressing my luck with my IT band, but as of now, I am in uncharted waters (pun intended). I am dropping a bike ride so that I can get an extra run in.

Mon: Run - 4 miles, Bike-35 miles

Tues: Run - 8 miles

Wed:  Run - 4 miles, Swim??

Thurs: Bike -25 miles

Fri: Run - 17 miles (if this gets cancelled, I will run this on Saturday). Swim??

That looks like a decent plan, with only one change.  I would start that 4th run at 2 miles rather than adding it at the prescribed distance above.  If you are adding the run at 4 miles for the sake of adding making up distance it could be hurtful over the long haul.  Take it slow and eventually it will get there.  Start with 2 miles over the next couple of weeks and then slowly ad miles to this shorter run and not the other short run.

I feel adding the 4th run will actually help condition you more appropriately than only running 3x a week, reducing the likelihood of injury.

You can add some high intensity bike work to both of your rides to maintain your fitness. 

Edited by DirkP 2013-12-02 4:52 AM
2013-12-02 6:45 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Bronze member

Jenn when I was having all the trouble with tight hips someone recommended PNF stretches to me and they have really helped. I found these on Youtube for your ITBand and thought they look pretty interesting. I swear I'm not trying to promote this guys books although I might have to check them out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQKV9bys5jc

2013-12-02 8:46 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jenn glad to see you checking in and yes finding balance with your job, family and training is probably the hardest thing to do. I hope you find the balance you need because it only gets more difficult once you embark on your training for Ironman. I also hope you can continue your marathon training without the ITB causing you any issues. I did my last standalone marathon in 2011 and I did it running 3 days a week for the most part for the same reasons I was trying to avoid injury. I do agree though it would be better if you could handle a 4th run a week.

JoAnne hope the extra sleep helped you and I hope you're feeling better and have more energy. My dog is feeling better, she slept through the night last night. I think she ate something she wasn't supposed to like cardboard and that made her sick on Saturday. You know labs, they will eat anything and I think that's what happened and that's what caused the issues over the weekend. She's like a little kid, we have to constantly watch what she does or she gets herself in trouble.

Karl hope you have a safe trip and can get back to getting some training in soon.
2013-12-02 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Dirk - I will keep the 4th run a short run.

JoAnne, Dina & Tony- Thanks for the support. I have noticed that yoga really helps with my IT band and hip tightness. Being consistent about doing yoga is the hard part. I think the hardest part over the past 3 months has been "jumping" the moment anyone around me says "jump." Reigning it all back in and allowing myself to prioritize my training is starting to come back.

Tony- I am glad to hear your dog is feeling better. It can be awful when our dogs are sick since they can't tell us what is going on.

2013-12-02 9:17 PM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Quick question regarding marathon training - I am using Hal Higdon's beginner marathon plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

The longest run I will do in training is 20 miles. I believe that Hal knows what he is doing, but I can't help but wonder if I will be prepared to run 26.2, when my longest run will only be 20 miles. Thoughts? Would you add a few miles to your long run to get closer to 26.2 during training?

2013-12-02 9:19 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by strikyr Jenn glad to see you checking in and yes finding balance with your job, family and training is probably the hardest thing to do. I hope you find the balance you need because it only gets more difficult once you embark on your training for Ironman. I also hope you can continue your marathon training without the ITB causing you any issues. I did my last standalone marathon in 2011 and I did it running 3 days a week for the most part for the same reasons I was trying to avoid injury. I do agree though it would be better if you could handle a 4th run a week. JoAnne hope the extra sleep helped you and I hope you're feeling better and have more energy. My dog is feeling better, she slept through the night last night. I think she ate something she wasn't supposed to like cardboard and that made her sick on Saturday. You know labs, they will eat anything and I think that's what happened and that's what caused the issues over the weekend. She's like a little kid, we have to constantly watch what she does or she gets herself in trouble. Karl hope you have a safe trip and can get back to getting some training in soon.

Tony our lab keeps getting into my husbands beer in the garage. He pierced a hole in one last week and drank the entire can. Today he found the end of the case and drug 6 of them all in the yard. I told hubby he has a new beer drinking buddy. Lucky for him Mickey got distracted by the cardboard and didn't open all those cans!

2013-12-03 4:48 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Quick question regarding marathon training - I am using Hal Higdon's beginner marathon plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

The longest run I will do in training is 20 miles. I believe that Hal knows what he is doing, but I can't help but wonder if I will be prepared to run 26.2, when my longest run will only be 20 miles. Thoughts? Would you add a few miles to your long run to get closer to 26.2 during training?

Higdons plans are supposed to be pretty good (commentary coming from a very amateur runner).  Your concern isn't something that every serious marathoner has never gone through.  I went through it for all of my marathons in some fashion. 

The short answer to your question is; No. You don't need to run past 20 miles to be able to complete a marathon and finish it very well.  The premise of limiting your long run to 20 miles centers around a cumulative training mileage rather than the long run.  As you build your runs to the 20 mile mark you will feel the fatigue of 30-50 MPW (depending on the plan) and those are the miles that make the difference.  As you approach the race and begin the taper you'll find your mileage is gradually decreasing and your legs will feel better.  You will have reached the optimum end of your training cycle and be ready to run all 26.2 miles. 

Consider:  3 weeks out, you will be running 40 miles for your training (also it's important to note other training as well).  Then on race week you'll run only 9 miles before the race and the cumulative total including the race will be 38 miles.  It's all about that build to an overall distance, NOT just the long run.  Rest easy knowing before hand that you will be trained and ready to rock that marathon.

2013-12-03 4:50 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by strikyr Jenn glad to see you checking in and yes finding balance with your job, family and training is probably the hardest thing to do. I hope you find the balance you need because it only gets more difficult once you embark on your training for Ironman. I also hope you can continue your marathon training without the ITB causing you any issues. I did my last standalone marathon in 2011 and I did it running 3 days a week for the most part for the same reasons I was trying to avoid injury. I do agree though it would be better if you could handle a 4th run a week. JoAnne hope the extra sleep helped you and I hope you're feeling better and have more energy. My dog is feeling better, she slept through the night last night. I think she ate something she wasn't supposed to like cardboard and that made her sick on Saturday. You know labs, they will eat anything and I think that's what happened and that's what caused the issues over the weekend. She's like a little kid, we have to constantly watch what she does or she gets herself in trouble. Karl hope you have a safe trip and can get back to getting some training in soon.

Tony our lab keeps getting into my husbands beer in the garage. He pierced a hole in one last week and drank the entire can. Today he found the end of the case and drug 6 of them all in the yard. I told hubby he has a new beer drinking buddy. Lucky for him Mickey got distracted by the cardboard and didn't open all those cans!

I would hate to see what might happen if our miniature dachshund got into a can of beer! 

That's hilarious though!!

2013-12-03 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by trigal38

I would hate to see what might happen if our miniature dachshund got into a can of beer! 

That's hilarious though!!

How come that doesn't surprise me at all and I though it was just my lab lol not. Dina I had to laugh reading your post. Luna gets into everything and I don't think she's found anything that she doesn't like to eat. Thankfully she's not gotten into any of my beer or other beverage contain alcohol lol.
2013-12-03 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Higdons plans are supposed to be pretty good (commentary coming from a very amateur runner).  Your concern isn't something that every serious marathoner has never gone through.  I went through it for all of my marathons in some fashion. 

The short answer to your question is; No. You don't need to run past 20 miles to be able to complete a marathon and finish it very well.  The premise of limiting your long run to 20 miles centers around a cumulative training mileage rather than the long run.  As you build your runs to the 20 mile mark you will feel the fatigue of 30-50 MPW (depending on the plan) and those are the miles that make the difference.  As you approach the race and begin the taper you'll find your mileage is gradually decreasing and your legs will feel better.  You will have reached the optimum end of your training cycle and be ready to run all 26.2 miles. 

Consider:  3 weeks out, you will be running 40 miles for your training (also it's important to note other training as well).  Then on race week you'll run only 9 miles before the race and the cumulative total including the race will be 38 miles.  It's all about that build to an overall distance, NOT just the long run.  Rest easy knowing before hand that you will be trained and ready to rock that marathon.

Jenn I totally agree with Dirk. If you can do 20 miles you'll be able to do 26.2 miles. The 20 miler will give you the confidence to do the rest and like Dirk said it is really about your cumulative mileage. I'd also have to agree and say Hal knows more about training for marathons then I ever will so I think it's safe to say you can trust his training plan and know you'll be ready come race day.

2013-12-03 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Originally posted by strikyr

Jenn I totally agree with Dirk. If you can do 20 miles you'll be able to do 26.2 miles. The 20 miler will give you the confidence to do the rest and like Dirk said it is really about your cumulative mileage. I'd also have to agree and say Hal knows more about training for marathons then I ever will so I think it's safe to say you can trust his training plan and know you'll be ready come race day.

Dirk & Tony-

When I initially looked at the plan over a year ago, I knew I would use it if I ever ran a marathon... now that I am in the middle of it and I am now of course wondering what the heck I am doing instead of trusting the plan.

Dirk- Your logic in breaking down the training is soooooooo helpful. I never would have deduced that information based on reading the training plan, even after reading the notes included with the training plan.

2013-12-03 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4726455

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Jenn I used Hals plan when I did my marathon and I finished and felt good just follow the plan and will do great!!!!

Tony good to hear you dog is feeling better
Dina too funny about your dog
It must be by osmosis all this bad dog behavior we came home tonight to find our wonderful lab got in the garbage and are all the bones from the turkey ....he will definitely be sleeping in the basement tonight
2013-12-04 2:18 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
My thought, night shift is for the birds! I am ready to go back to my banker hours!
2013-12-04 4:26 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos My thought, night shift is for the birds! I am ready to go back to my banker hours!

I have never worked night shift and I think you can have it!  Our dispatchers work a swing type shift, putting hours in on all 3 shifts in a month.  The way they work is really somewhat beyond what I can describe because there's never a set pattern to how the roll around.  They can have it!!

2013-12-04 5:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mambos

My thought, night shift is for the birds! I am ready to go back to my banker hours!

Oh man I agree i worked night shift for 1 summer and that was all I needed, how long will you be on this shift? I am hoping for you it won't be too long.

2013-12-04 5:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
With all the talk of eatting bad food and too much I thought this was interesting, it was posted on my FB page.
2013-12-04 5:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jo63

With all the talk of eatting bad food and too much I thought this was interesting, it was posted on my FB page.

Apparently the attachment button is not working on the ipad I will try to post the attachment from a computer later.
2013-12-04 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by mambos

Matt you have my sympathies I did evening shift 4-12 years ago and I got forced into covering the the overnights 12-8 for months. I absolutely hated doing that and as much as I dislike getting up early in the morning there is no way I'll ever do the overnight shift again. I don't know how people do that and live any type of normal life.
2013-12-05 1:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Luckily this night shift thing is only a week or 2. Just long enough to interrupt my schedule and put me into a foul mood! I did learn something today though, a 10 mile run followed by a 12 hr work day is not fun! I'm tired, sore and calling it a night!
2013-12-05 1:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Hey everyone, just checking in... I've been swamped with work and holidays... anyway, you guys are killing some WO's and I'm just sitting over here like "Pass me another coke and a honey bun"...

KARL! Seriously? 1,000 miles for the year is pretty nasty in my book.

2013-12-05 9:23 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Hey folks! Yes, I know, I'm a stranger and you don't know me....

But I just had to post this. I am about to pull the trigger and register a team for Ragnar Trail Atlanta.
http://www.ragnartrail.com/locations/atlanta-ga
It's April 4-5.

If I get about half the people to send me their entry fee by today, I will register today for the price break. It goes up somewhat tomorrow and if there aren't enough with their hats in the ring we will delay registration and just each have to pay a little more.

My daughter gave me permission to invite some of my friends since her friends haven't filled the roster yet.

If you can make a decision like this at the drop of the hat, then paypal me your share of the entry fee to [email protected]

I would have invited sooner, but my daughter hadn't given me permission to recruit my own people.

If you would like to, but just can't pull the trigger this quickly, there's still a good chance we won't have enough people for me to fill up the roster (8 total) for another week or two.

Thanks!
2013-12-05 12:39 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Jeff,I would love to be able to do that race but with my current knee condition I don't feel I can commit to anything just yet. Everything I do will be to make sure I make it to IMWI. The way I feel right now I shouldn't have any issues running 15 miles by that point but I'm unwilling to front that kind of money only to have to drop out if I experience another small knee issue. If this turns out to be something that gets done from year to year I might be interested in 2015, so don't forget me then. I sure wish I could sign up for it though!!!
2013-12-05 1:59 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by JeffYHey folks! Yes, I know, I'm a stranger and you don't know me....But I just had to post this. I am about to pull the trigger and register a team for Ragnar Trail Atlanta.http://www.ragnartrail.com/locations/atlanta-gaIt's April 4-5.If I get about half the people to send me their entry fee by today, I will register today for the price break. It goes up somewhat tomorrow and if there aren't enough with their hats in the ring we will delay registration and just each have to pay a little more.My daughter gave me permission to invite some of my friends since her friends haven't filled the roster yet.If you can make a decision like this at the drop of the hat, then paypal me your share of the entry fee to [email protected] would have invited sooner, but my daughter hadn't given me permission to recruit my own people. If you would like to, but just can't pull the trigger this quickly, there's still a good chance we won't have enough people for me to fill up the roster (8 total) for another week or two.Thanks!
Jeff, I want in! I do need to get approval from the wife 1st though to make sure I don't step out of line and get myself In trouble.

Also if I am able, I would not be able to send money until next week. If you still have openings at that time.....
2013-12-05 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jeff glad to see you checking in and that sounds like it would be very cool to do but I've already got 3 races which I'm signed up for in IMMT, Syracuse 70.3 and the NYC marathon which I will need to incur the travel expenses for. I think if I did anything else that isn't local my wife would probably kill me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114