BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-03 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2766456

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
stevebradley - 2010-04-03 1:24 PM MANDY - How long do we have to wait for the other two? I'm giddy with anticipation right now! You tease, you!

I will keep you guys in suspense for a few more days...or feed them to you one at a time....One of them involves a wrong turn in a marathon where people actually followed me.  Nope, not kidding.

Good 13 mile run today -  9:30 pace, much better than the past.  AT/calf felt great.  I love compression!  And ice! And stretching! AND Ibuprofin. 

Cheers!

Mandy

2010-04-03 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2766234

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-04-03 8:04 AM HEY GANG! Sorry I was slightly slack again yesterday, as things - yard stuff, bird surveys, training, my on-going cold - keep derailing me. I departed the computer yesterday still owing SHAUN and STEVE some decent responses, and now even more have added to my to-do list. Yikes! There are some good discussions happening, though, and it seems as if you are all doing quite well, whirling into springspringSPRING! (It was 78 here yesterday, and I knocked off a 2-hour ride.) Lovely morning here again, and I'm looking at a brisk brick later on. Any ambitious plans in the works, all?

I got my 3rd long, outdoor ride in today.   Rode 60km feeling like I wanted more, despite the stupid, crazy winds.   They couldn't pick just one direction!   Had to be SE AND SW, constantly swirling.   Yell  Did I say I liked the wind?????    We're getting some kind of storm brewing now - Ken said up to 85km/hr winds!  

Good job on being responsible and doing yard stuff.   I did pick up the rake for about 5 minutes.  
2010-04-03 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2766378

Master
Kitchener
TriD64 - 2010-04-03 11:50 AM
SAquavia - 2010-04-02 4:10 PM Anyway, no worries, I'm sure the 11/28 alone will suffice - getting it swapped out on Tuesday.

This weekend's 6,000 feet of climbing will be brought to us by the numbers 12, 25, and the letter "F" as in "F" YOU HILL!!!  :-)
Love your posts Steve. I'm heading out for my first outdoor ride of the year. Minimal hills, but more than with the trainer . I'll adopt your attitude. Mark

CRAP, your fast on the bike.  Your foundation ride was my average race speed last year.      
2010-04-03 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2764153

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
LadyNorth - 2010-04-01 8:05 PM

I went for my 1st long clipless ride yesterday - wasn't bad - I tried to clip out and in quite a bit - clipping in took a few tries sometimes but never had a problem clipping out.  I think I worried about it more than I needed too.  So don't waste your time worrying about it.
Denise

Thanks Denise!

I'll try not to worry too much. I think I'm going to head to the bike shop next weekend to check out some shoes.

2010-04-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2559115

Master
Kitchener
MANDY/MARK,

Hope you like.  

SWISS CHARD, MUSHROOM, AND QUINOA SALAD (Serves 4)

1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked in 2 cups water (don't put too much water or it won't be fluffy)
1 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound Swiss chard, stems and leaves cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 10.5 cups), rinsed well; water still clinging to leaves
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Pinch of red-pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced (I used 2 large)
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/8 inch thick
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved.

1.  Cook quinoa.   Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in skillet over medium heat.   Cook Swiss chard, stirring occasionally, until wilted and tender, about 8 minutes.   Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, and season with pepper.   Add red-pepper flakes, and toss.   Transfer to a platter.

2.  Add remaining 2 tsps oil and the garlic to skillet.  (I skipped this step and added my garlic last - like the taste better, cooking mushrooms first).   Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to release their juices, about 3 minutes.  Sprinkle with 3/4 tsp salt (didn't do). Season with pepper.   Cook until mushrooms are tender.  Stir in quinoa; cook to heat through, about 1 minute.   Add thyme.  Serve mushroom-quinoa mixture over Swiss chard, topped with Parmesan.

PER SERVING:
252 calories, 1 g saturated fat
6 g unsaturated fat, 3 mg cholesterol
38 g carbohydrate, 666 mg sodium
11 g protein, 5 g fiber.
2010-04-04 3:51 AM
in reply to: #2766470

User image

Champion

"ARCHIVED" WARNING #2

If history repeats itself, sometime in the next few weeks you will log on and find that we are nowhere to be found, that there is a list of new groups. Well, we haven't disappeared, we've just been put in the archives, WHERE WE WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION!

Some groups will jus disband at that point, figuring their work is done and that the members will other head off on their own or latch onto another group. Of course, anyone here can do that, but from my end of things I will be here, carrying on as usual. I mean, the full triathlon season hasn't even begun yet, so I think we are just a work-in-progress!

On page 109 I posted the first "archived warning".......and I'll see if one more can be squeezed in somewhere before the actual dreaded event happens.

(It's sort of like being superannuated. )

Edited by stevebradley 2010-04-04 4:00 AM

2010-04-04 4:03 AM
in reply to: #2767229

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Oh, you must've made a lot of friends at THAT race! But, don't feel bad, cuz it happens to the best of them. My former coach, who was great when he was great, did that exact same thing at a marathon, too. You've got very good company there, Mandy!

And let me guess -- you love compression?

2010-04-04 4:12 AM
in reply to: #2766774

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Jeezum, that bad weather always starts with you, doesn't it?

Our winds picked up late last night, but are predicted to gusts to "only" 60kmh today. So, I'm glad my bike work is done for the week. I got in 60km (Just like you -- great minds think alike, eh?) Friday, then 37km yesterday at the front end of a brick. Add to that 40km on Wednesday, and I'm not about to complain about "late winter" weather in our fair province!

So, it'll be just a run today, if that. My cold is still bothersome, and seeing as how I have worked myself hard this week, I guess I'm the architect of my own misery. Of course, there's no guarantee that even if I had rested I would be any further along in my recovery --- at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself so that I don't feel totally stupid!

2010-04-04 4:14 AM
in reply to: #2767232

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

Quinoa is great stuff, isn't it? Who'd a thunk that such wee morsels could be so packed with protein?!

2010-04-04 4:18 AM
in reply to: #2765922

User image

Champion

ANNE once more -

Wonderful swim post to Kasia, too! And as one who has had an almost identical experience with swimming, how easy do you find it to slip back into the leisurely, effortless, stroke patterns? I can do it in a heartbeat; it seems to be what is most prominently imprinted in my muscle memory.

2010-04-04 4:51 AM
in reply to: #2765089

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Denise and Anne have already given you some thoughts about the plan you posted a couple of days ago, and I agree with what they have said. And while I don't think what you propose there will affecet your neuroma, it might raise issues with whatever knee problems you've had.

My gentle suggestion would be to scrap the Wednesday run in week 1, and tentatively pencil in Thursday as a rest day in week 2. I see, though, that you have both Saturday and Sunday of week 2 as rest days -- is this because you have family commitments then, or will be travelling? If neither of those is the case, then I would have Th for rest, do the Th one on Fr and the Fr one on Sa, and then rest on Su. And while resting on Sunday, evaluate how you and your body have responded to the first two weeks of a run-focus program.

Remember, too, that some of our bodies' best advances happen when we are resting. This is certainly true in terms of adequate sleep, but also just in the mental and physiological benefits that come from rest days. And given that the level of intensity in your program is kind of new to you, your body may be a bit behind your brain as you work to implement it; another rest day during the first two weeks might help it (the bod) to adjust to the new stressors.

One more thing, if I may? For the week 1 Sa run, go for a 10km pace instead of 5km. The combination of double the distance at your fastest (which would be 5km) pace is going to be difficult to maintain, I think. Many recommendations for long runs (which at this point is what 40' would count as) have them as being at 1-2 minutes slower than race pace. I don't think that for 40' you have to back down to 2 minutes slower than your 5km pace, but a good, full minute would be a decent starting point. You might find this hard to do, but one thing that will help is if you focus on your form. And as you are essentially doubling your time running, you'll maybe find that your form will fall apart some towards the end -- so if you focus on it initially, that might help you to maintain it for the full 40'.

Let me know what you think of those suggestions, okay?

2010-04-04 5:00 AM
in reply to: #2762436

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Hey! Enjoy being off today! That's kinda cruel and unusual punishment that you had to work Friday and yesterday (Do I need to make a protest phone call to your boss? That's one of the things I do as a Full Service Mentor! ), but at least you will have earned a GREAT day today.

So, did you register for your first two races yet? Huh? Huh? Didja? Or will that happen today, when you're at your leisure and not at work?

Finally --- I can't tell you how many times I have mis-read training plans, so don't feel alone about that. The thing is, almost always the mistake happens so as to create MORE work; only once or twice have I underperformed on a mis-read workout. But for me, those are the ones that hardest to swallow, at leat for the brain. I guess it's the body that protests when the workouts are longer than intended, whereas it's the brain that complains when the opposite happens.

Have a good day today!

2010-04-04 5:01 AM
in reply to: #2767239

User image

Champion

Back to bed now.......

2010-04-04 5:42 AM
in reply to: #2767234

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-04-04 5:18 AM ANNE once more - Wonderful swim post to Kasia, too! And as one who has had an almost identical experience with swimming, how easy do you find it to slip back into the leisurely, effortless, stroke patterns? I can do it in a heartbeat; it seems to be what is most prominently imprinted in my muscle memory.

WAY to easy, annd I still love it.  

Off to the pool shortly, so I'll have to remember to stay strong.       The plan calls for a short brick today, 45min bike and 15 minute run.   Think I will give it a try.   Am not feeling any ill effects from my cycling.    I could have run after yesterday's bike, but it was extremely easy.   Last year I would have had my first outdoor ride averaging 26-27 and hit the hills right away and ended up with my right hip bugging me all season, so am paranoid about easing into it this year.   I have had some good speed segments in the rides and have worked the few hills that we have hit - so far so good.   

Have a great day.  
2010-04-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2767238

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-04 5:51 AM

TRACEY -

Denise and Anne have already given you some thoughts about the plan you posted a couple of days ago, and I agree with what they have said. And while I don't think what you propose there will affecet your neuroma, it might raise issues with whatever knee problems you've had.

My gentle suggestion would be to scrap the Wednesday run in week 1, and tentatively pencil in Thursday as a rest day in week 2. I see, though, that you have both Saturday and Sunday of week 2 as rest days -- is this because you have family commitments then, or will be travelling? If neither of those is the case, then I would have Th for rest, do the Th one on Fr and the Fr one on Sa, and then rest on Su. And while resting on Sunday, evaluate how you and your body have responded to the first two weeks of a run-focus program.

Remember, too, that some of our bodies' best advances happen when we are resting. This is certainly true in terms of adequate sleep, but also just in the mental and physiological benefits that come from rest days. And given that the level of intensity in your program is kind of new to you, your body may be a bit behind your brain as you work to implement it; another rest day during the first two weeks might help it (the bod) to adjust to the new stressors.

One more thing, if I may? For the week 1 Sa run, go for a 10km pace instead of 5km. The combination of double the distance at your fastest (which would be 5km) pace is going to be difficult to maintain, I think. Many recommendations for long runs (which at this point is what 40' would count as) have them as being at 1-2 minutes slower than race pace. I don't think that for 40' you have to back down to 2 minutes slower than your 5km pace, but a good, full minute would be a decent starting point. You might find this hard to do, but one thing that will help is if you focus on your form. And as you are essentially doubling your time running, you'll maybe find that your form will fall apart some towards the end -- so if you focus on it initially, that might help you to maintain it for the full 40'.

Let me know what you think of those suggestions, okay?

Hi Steve.

Thanks for these suggestions!

Your first guess about the weekends was right. Because of my husband's crazy work schedule, I generally can't fit in any long-ish workouts on the weekends. I can occasionally drop my son off at my in-law's house if I want to go to the Y for a quick swim, but I can't rely on that consistently. So I've made Saturdays and Sundays my off days. I scheduled in 40 minute runs every other Saturday, so the plan is to wake up early in the morning before my son is awake and get them done on the treadmill. (We'll see how 5 am wake ups on Saturday mornings go!)

So... does that mean that you're suggesting 3 rest days in week 2 (Sunday, Thurs and Saturday), or do you suggest keeping the Thursday run since I'll be resting Sunday and Saturday? Sorry to be confused...!

Good suggestion for the 40 minute run. I do admit that after a 5k of running my "race pace" (around 12:00), I'm pretty tired, and that's 36 minutes. So I'd definitely feel fresher and as you say be able to focus on my form if I try it around 12:45 or 13:00. I haven't run 13:00 in so long, it might actually be enjoyable!

Speaking of my training schedule, I think I'm going to start having to get up early and do some of my training first thing in the morning (maybe around 5 or 5:30?) Now that I've worked biking into my training schedule, there's just not enough time in the day for me to fit in all my workouts during the workday. So on the mornings that my husband's at work, I'll need to do the biking on a trainer in the basement. I know nothing about bike trainers. Any suggestions for one?

Thanks,

Tracey

2010-04-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2767230

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-04-04 5:03 AM MANDY - Oh, you must've made a lot of friends at THAT race! But, don't feel bad, cuz it happens to the best of them. My former coach, who was great when he was great, did that exact same thing at a marathon, too. You've got very good company there, Mandy! And let me guess -- you love compression?

Yup, didn't have many friends at that race...ha. 

Happy Easter all!

Cheers,

Mandy

2010-04-04 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Hey, all ... just checking in.  Tough couple of weeks ... my stepfather passed away Wednesday night (2 1/2 weeks after starting his chemo), so dealing with all of that stuff right.  Memorial service will be Tuesday, waiting for his family to get here.  Thankfully, there was not much suffering on his part and things went rather quickly ... was actually finishing up his daily word search puzzle within an hour of his death (it will be scanned and part of the tribute slideshow at the service).

My husband's job made a verbal offer last Tuesday in regards to his transfer to OKC (25% raise and all moving expenses) and was wanting to know if we are interested by Tuesday ... hoping to put them off a bit under the circumstances.  He will be jobless by June if we don't accept the offer. 

Too much to think about and too many stressors right now ... all I could garner up this week was a nice long walk on Friday morning.  May have to think about bowing out of Lone Star on the 24th, as that would be the best time to make a trip up to OKC since I've already requested the time off.

Hope everyone is doing well and will try to catch up next week.

Lisa
2010-04-04 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2767431

User image

Champion

LISA -

So sorry that so much has hit you so suddenly. I was worried that something along those lines had happened, and sadly it (they) did.

For what it's worth, I'll be thinking about you on Tuesday. However, that is a sweet touch to be able to include the word search as part of the tribute slideshow. I was very strongly moved by the slideshow for my father-in-law last month, and much of my emotions surfaced at the seemingly smaller stuff -- along the lines of a puzzle, that meant something to your stepfather.

If your husbands employers have any heart or sould, they should be willing to extend the deadline for his decison. As you described it before, it is all very complex, involving both of your careers. I can't imagine a more difficlut time to make a very difficult decision than in the wake of a family member's passing.

I hope your Friday walk was therapeutically calming, which may be the best you can hope for under your circumstances. And while it would be unfortunate to have to miss Lone Star, there is usually another triathlon just around the corner! Is there anything in OKC to draw you there, or as a natural-born Houstonian, is everything you personally need right there? I know there's work, and I think you've said your family is all still there, so in many ways that just about covers it.

Thank you for checking in, and I hope your life gets back some balance before too long.

2010-04-04 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2767250

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Agreed -- way too easy to do, yet still something to love!

Easing back into the bike stuff sounds smart to me, especially since hip woes last year seem to be implicated. I guess if you are doing a brick today, the winds must've died down some? Ours did not get to the 60kmh gusts that were predicted, which made a 10km run this morning more pleasurable. I did a tough 70'/18' brick yesterday and so felt quite flat on the run today. Aw, so it goes......

"So far so good" ---- May it continue!!

2010-04-04 4:35 PM

New user
LISA,

Very sorry to hear about your step father. My condolences go out to you and your family. I would hope that your husband's employer would allow some more time to make a decision in light of what has happened.  I hope this week goes much more smoothly for you!
2010-04-04 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2767239

New user
STEVEB,

Well, this is the 2nd day off since March 15th. Not all by choice and not directly my boss telling me I have to work...It's an interesting time as there are currently not enough people yet come the end of the year there will be too many people. So in the mean time those of us available to work more are sometimes being tasked with it. Generally it means more $$ in my pocket, which makes up for most of it (providing of course I don't go to 7 days, 12 hours a day as is a possibility.

Well today has been a day...Got a swim in first thing this morning. Was struggling at the end which I attribute to waking up and within 20 minutes being in the water. Then REI had a garage sale...So I've picked up a new sport for this winter (cross country skiing setup for $65) and new snowboard boots which I was in dire need of. From there I've been doing some yard work. So I'm canceling my run today as the last two have been longer than called for.

No... Embarassed I have not registered yet. Maybe later tonight once I put the rake and shovel away.

Hope everyone is having a good Easter!! Enjoy the all the fixings for me!!

2010-04-04 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Lisa-

Wow. It sounds like life is throwing a lot at you right now.

So sorry for the loss of your stepfather.  My thoughts are with you.  Good luck with everything and take care of yourself.

Best,

Mandy
2010-04-04 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
lufferly - 2010-04-04 11:25 AM

Hey, all ... just checking in.  Tough couple of weeks ... my stepfather passed away Wednesday night (2 1/2 weeks after starting his chemo), so dealing with all of that stuff right.  Memorial service will be Tuesday, waiting for his family to get here.  Thankfully, there was not much suffering on his part and things went rather quickly ... was actually finishing up his daily word search puzzle within an hour of his death (it will be scanned and part of the tribute slideshow at the service).

My husband's job made a verbal offer last Tuesday in regards to his transfer to OKC (25% raise and all moving expenses) and was wanting to know if we are interested by Tuesday ... hoping to put them off a bit under the circumstances.  He will be jobless by June if we don't accept the offer. 

Too much to think about and too many stressors right now ... all I could garner up this week was a nice long walk on Friday morning.  May have to think about bowing out of Lone Star on the 24th, as that would be the best time to make a trip up to OKC since I've already requested the time off.

Hope everyone is doing well and will try to catch up next week.

Lisa

Hi Lisa.

So sorry to hear about your stepfather, and so soon after hearing the news of his diagnosis. I would hope your husband's employer would extend the deadline given the circumstances. I hope you and your family are hanging in there.

Tracey

2010-04-04 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2767587

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-04-04 2:56 PM ANNE - Agreed -- way too easy to do, yet still something to love! Easing back into the bike stuff sounds smart to me, especially since hip woes last year seem to be implicated. I guess if you are doing a brick today, the winds must've died down some? Ours did not get to the 60kmh gusts that were predicted, which made a 10km run this morning more pleasurable. I did a tough 70'/18' brick yesterday and so felt quite flat on the run today. Aw, so it goes...... "So far so good" ---- May it continue!!

I AM pretty happy with my discipline in holding back on the bike but a bit antzy to get some faster rides in.   I am determined to keep avg speed below 25km/hr until bike tour is done.  However, that being said, I AM training with my HR; and if it stays below 122 and RPE coincides I will let the speed go where it may.    Yesterday, even with the wind and hills my avg HR was 100, and it felt like an easy ride, finishing up with 23km/hr avg.    Although I haven't been tested this past yeart, my LT is/was 144.

Next week is week 5 of plan and we should be able to stick to it pretty well.   Leaving Thursday for Windsor and then Friday morning for Florida; stopping over night in Chattanooga and then to Live Oak area on Saturday evening.   We don't actually start the tour until the 17th.   For weeks 6/7 won't get the swims in, but not too worried about that.   Plan to run a little every other day to keep the legs moving and of course, we will be biking way more than the plan in week 7.  

Am hoping the interruption won't cause too many problems and that we can get back on track for week 8.  

One advantage of cycling 6 days straight of fairly easy riding - probably will average 22-23km/hr is that they should be good fat burning rides.      And, good base building.   I am determined to get my average race pace to 32 km/hr this year.   I started to do some 10km TT's last year and was holding 33-34 km/hr, with HR staying under LT, so I believe it is possible.  

Any words of wisdom for me as we set out on this adventure?   

BTW, I just knew you would have done 60km or more in 2 hours.   
2010-04-04 7:36 PM

Master
Kitchener
LISA,

Sorry to hear about your stepfather.   You have alot to deal with right now, and as difficult as it is, you WILL get through it all.   It moments like this that make us able to truly appreciate the happier times.   Sounds like your husband's job offer may be a blessing in disguise.   

Take care, 

Anne

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276