BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-03-09 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4088948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: RE: ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!!

Joey - I think you'll just need to test it out and see what works.  I'm using Accelerade plus gel, but i wash the gel down with water.  So a 32 oz bottle of accelerade is lasting me 3+ hours because of using the gels.

I just got back from working in NYC all week.  I got 2 great runs in Central Park in.  Scratch that off the running bucket list!!! So I haven't done any swimming this week (I wouldn't have gotten any in anyways due to the University being closed for spring break) and missed one 1hr bike, but other than that, I was able to stick to my plan.  Not optimal, but not bad considering a hectic work schedule.

Looking forward to hitting it hard this weekend, getting back on my sleep schedule, and controlling my meals again .

2012-03-09 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3950650

User image

Thanks for all the responses. Geesh I'm such a newbie.  Trial by error. Hoping to be somewhat close so I don't have to make too many adjustments. I thought about just strapping a 12 pack of Miller Light to the bike and eliminate all these scenarios.  I'll let ya'll know tomorrow.

ALSO, like 10 minutes ago, ordered stuff off of Trisports.com  . They are running 50 percent off on 2011 2xu stuff if you like that brand and don't mind being a year behind on style. Personally, I don't care I just needed a few more pair of tri shorts.  Anyways, hope everyone has a good weekend of training. Bethany, hope you get to feeling better soon so you can take that new bike out.

2012-03-10 2:32 PM

User image

Well the simulated race went good in two parts, the swim and the run. The bike, bad. I'm pretty sure the fluid bug bit me on the tail end and didn't let go. Nothing like going from averaging 19.27mph on the first hour, to 18.3 the second hour, to 17.1 the last 43:33. I hit the 300 cal per hour, but not taking in any water just Accelerade for the first two hours (and after the swim) didn't work. Glad I did this now and can try to figure it out before the race, cause I didn't know you could bonk while riding a bike lol. With my plan of just carrying two bottles on race day, I gotta figure something different out for sure. 

Hope everyone has a better weekend of training than the one I just had. Well, it wasn't terrible, at least 2 of the sports I'm on target.

2012-03-10 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4088920

User image

Extreme Veteran
Joey Blankenship - 2012-03-09 1:17 PM

Yeah he printed out a sheet with my calculating HR zones based on predicted VT HR. It broke also broke it down into 5 zones for me. It also gave me my ventilatory threshold heart rate all broken down.

Nah, I'm not doing TX, I'm doing Charleston HIM in April, so it will still be pretty cool.

Okay I'll drop down to 300 on calories, either not taking in gels or lessen the amount of accelerade. I'm just trying to figure it out since I plan on race day only carrying two bottles, one aero, one on the frame, so my plan was for both of those to be filled with accelerade then when I finish one off, grab a water at a water stop.  So I was figuring during the bike that would be 48 oz with accelerade and then 24 oz of water after I've downed one of the accelerade. So that sounds like not enough fluid?

Hard to say, but if you want to put Accelerade in both you could always continue to top off your aero bottle with water at aid stations still. I have done that before and it works fine.. as long as you don't accidentally grab a different sports drink and mix it in there. Gross!

You might be okay with two bottles, but for me that likely wouldn't be enough, and I am a 125 lb chick who doesn't sweat very much. 

Anyways, good on you for trying things out. Let us know how the trial run goes!

2012-03-10 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4088948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Your daughter must be a great volleyball player and that is so nice that you go to all of her tournaments! Hopefully you get a nice hotel gym!
2012-03-10 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4090042

User image

Extreme Veteran
Joey Blankenship - 2012-03-10 2:32 PM

Well the simulated race went good in two parts, the swim and the run. The bike, bad. I'm pretty sure the fluid bug bit me on the tail end and didn't let go. Nothing like going from averaging 19.27mph on the first hour, to 18.3 the second hour, to 17.1 the last 43:33. I hit the 300 cal per hour, but not taking in any water just Accelerade for the first two hours (and after the swim) didn't work. Glad I did this now and can try to figure it out before the race, cause I didn't know you could bonk while riding a bike lol. With my plan of just carrying two bottles on race day, I gotta figure something different out for sure. 

Hope everyone has a better weekend of training than the one I just had. Well, it wasn't terrible, at least 2 of the sports I'm on target.

Whoops! I totally posted below before I read this.  Don't be too hard on yourself. It is really easy to get handups and squirt water into your aero bottle. This is the easier way to have enough liquids without weighing your bike down, IMO. You will be great!

2012-03-10 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Not a great one for me so far. I started feeling feverish Thurs night and ended up taking yesterday and today off. I don't feel bad enough to not totally be going crazy from my new sedentary lifestyle, lol. 

I did take the new bike out for a ten minute spin and it was quite taxing. Hoping resting pays off and I can do some sort of run or ride tomorrow! 

PS There is nothing like not being able to train that makes you really appreciate training!

2012-03-10 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4090042

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Joey Blankenship - 2012-03-10 2:32 PM

Joey:: these days are good days. You learn about yourself. Two items1. More calories? Try more accelerade or supplemen with gel. 2. Consider that you may not be able to sustain 19mph plus for the bike leg of a long course tri. Need to remember that what you can average stand alone will be more than what you will be able to do after a swim and prior to a run. My favorite quote about the bike leg of IM is "Hold back too much on the bike? You now have 26.2 mi to make up time. Go too hard on the bike? You now have 26.2 miles for that mistake to express itself."
2012-03-11 2:55 PM

User image

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday. Japewang- I hear ya. Just trying to figure the best way of getting calories with carrying just 2 bottles. I can definitely tell you that just Accelerade for 2 hours and no other fluids DOESN'T WORK. I'll get it figured out, I got time.

Well today for my recovery day since I was still PO'ed from yesterday, went out for a 90 minute bike ride to get out the soreness. What was hilarious is that I was only .2 mph slower than yesterday and I was just out spinning and keeping the HR way down. Made me realize how much nutrition does play a factor in riding.

Bethany, hope you were able to get out today, cause i know at least here, the weather is GREAT. Hope everyone was able to enjoy some sun.

2012-03-14 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4090886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks. Finally on the mend...got out Sunday for an easy spin then back to full speed ahead since Monday. Not much sleep this week so dragging a bit more than usual. Hoping to make it through the week with all training complete.How is everyone else's weeks going?
2012-03-16 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

What's everyone up to?  

I'm kind of having a meh week even though the weather has been GREAT.  Lots of work and other life things creeping into my training.  Also, while IMCDA seems so close (14 weeks) it still seems so FAR AWAY (14 weeks).  

Should get a nice long bike in early Saturday before a packed St. Patty's Day.  Just keep choppin' wood at this point...right?

2012-03-16 3:17 PM

User image

I got in my first ows in before I had to travel to Arkansas for my sister's wedding. Wearing the wetsuit was pretty nice. Very buoyant.  Not going to get in much training since I've had to drive 15 hours each way, but I'll manage a run or two in between the driving.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

2012-03-16 11:51 PM

New user

Toronto

I've got a 10-mile run scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Going to try and squeeze and 800-900m swim on Sunday morning between taking the family to breakfast and my golf tee time in the afternoon.

Weather up here in Toronto has really warmed up so looking forward to getting outside!

2012-03-18 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4099141

User image

Extreme Veteran
japewang - 2012-03-16 10:01 AM

What's everyone up to?  

I'm kind of having a meh week even though the weather has been GREAT.  Lots of work and other life things creeping into my training.  Also, while IMCDA seems so close (14 weeks) it still seems so FAR AWAY (14 weeks).  

Should get a nice long bike in early Saturday before a packed St. Patty's Day.  Just keep choppin' wood at this point...right?

Amen! I hear ya,,,just when I think I've got the work/ life thing nailed down then my plans get thwarted. 14 weeks is forever...but it will go really fast, too!
2012-03-19 7:55 AM

User image

While I have'nt posted often I check in and like to read the comments.  I am now a couple weeks into the build phase and overall the workouts are getting a bit more challenging . I have spent all my bike training time on the trainer since Christmas until this past week. Last week I did a 20 minute test spin around a parking lot to get the feel of the new tri bike and found the adjustment from roadie w/clip ons to tri bike would not take long. This bike handles awesome..  Yesterday called for a 30 minute ride followed by a 1 hr run, which went well except for my HR never settled down until the second half of the run.  The ride and run were both on hilly terrain and maybe the excitement of finally getting outside on the bike had my HR too high.   Not to mention temps in the high 70's and beautiful sunshine, not much training been done in these conditions. Hopefully it keeps up, but this weather is a little bizarre, especially for the N.E in March.      Train hard everone!

2012-03-19 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
I was able to get in a 3 hour bike ride Saturday and a 10 mile run Sunday.  Windy and humid all weekend, but at least I was able to get outside.  It's suppose to rain here all week, so we'll see what happens.  

2012-03-19 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Just posted this in the Ironman training forum, but would like any of you guys' feedback as well:

"YO. 

So...more talk of modifying Fink's training plan. 

I'd like to add a hill repeat workout for IMCDA since there are a couple of decent hills and I'm a poor poor hill climber.  Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrWyCVOwOY

I've managed to locate some "courses" that would work for me and am just curious as to what people think about incorporating it into Fink's plan.  I'm doing the intermediate.  You can look at my logs.  

Should I try to ADD it to whats going on, or replace a workout?  I'm thinking about replacing the brick workout on wednesdays, or replacing one of the swim workouts (swim would be my "strength")

Thanks for any feedback!"

2012-03-19 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4099843

User image

Extreme Veteran
Where is it possible to do an Ows? What was the temp? I need to be in there soon...
2012-03-19 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4100302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glad it's getting warm in Toronto, too! This past week was the first it really got hot in Georgia!
2012-03-19 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4102419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glad your training is going well and finally able to get outside! Inside all the time can get old. Heat will def make a difference with hr too!
2012-03-19 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4102516

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good for you!No volleyball tourney this weekend after all then?

2012-03-19 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4102872

User image

Extreme Veteran

I agree with @JohnnyKay. You say you have a brick already... maybe you could do a hilly route for the cycling portion of the workout. Whatever you decide I definitely wouldn't add it. 

I saw you had another thread about cutting out swimming/plus cutting out swimming for this so maybe you are just not liking the swimming so much right now?  

I'm messing with you.. I don't know if the Fink plans are swim heavy or not. What are typical weekly yards?

2012-03-19 7:13 PM

User image

Well I got back today from driving 1800 miles. Yes that drive sucked. Got in a little 4 mile run and a hour on a spinner while I was in Arkansas.  So right after we unpacked, jumped on the trainer for 1:30, then about 30 minutes after that, a buddy called and said he wanted to ride outside for an hour. So went with him and his "hour" turned into 1:40, so got in a little over 3 hours of biking today, which I really needed after missing out this weekend.

OWS- North Carolina last week. It was a little chilly at first, but once the blood starting pumping, I was good.  The water was manageable from the top to about 6 feet deep, then below that, it was way too cold (I dove down to see).  Hoping to get in some more OWS because April 21st is around the corner.

This week I plan on destroying myself on the bike. Mileage, mileage, mileage, but with that being said, good useful mileage.  Hope everyone else has a good week of training planned.

2012-03-23 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4103683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
ATLrunr - 2012-03-19 4:57 PM

I agree with @JohnnyKay. You say you have a brick already... maybe you could do a hilly route for the cycling portion of the workout. Whatever you decide I definitely wouldn't add it. 

I saw you had another thread about cutting out swimming/plus cutting out swimming for this so maybe you are just not liking the swimming so much right now?  

I'm messing with you.. I don't know if the Fink plans are swim heavy or not. What are typical weekly yards?

I just feel like I'm a decent swimmer.  I'm no speedster, but I go 1:45-1:50/100.  I just don't feel like I'm getting much faster/more endurance from the 3 swims a week at 3000-3500 a swim.  I guess I'm trying to prioritize and I have no worry about finishing the swim with a respectable split. The bike however....

2012-03-23 6:28 PM

User image

Hope everyone has a good weekend of training. I'm going to do another nutrition test tomorrow, weather dependent, doing a 50 mile bike and a 10k run. Gonna mix lemon lime gatorade with some Accelerade and see how things work. Also gonna add in a gel or chomps to keep me at 300 calories. We'll see how it goes.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  

of 14