BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-05-27 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1351583

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I volunteered at a tri not too far from Tucson yesterday (the Sahuarita Lake tri). I got to work swim exit to pull folks out of the "lake" (more like a large, gross swimming pool) and yell numbers because they do MANUAL recording of splits at this race. It was crazy! Then we headed over to T2 to record bike to run splits manually. I wish this race outfit would buy or rent a chip timing system.

Any new Goals of the Week? I swam on Sunday, so I squeeked in my goal of swimming 3X last week. Whew! This week my goal is for the Wed night aquathlon race. There's a little race series they do each summer with an 800 yd swim and 5K run, and this week is the first race. Goal for this week is to do the race in 45 min or under. We'll see how it goes!

2008-05-27 11:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-27 11:10 AM

Veteran
Thanks... no switching on Greece. That is where I plan to begin my build/base. I am going to the island of Tinos (right next to mykonos) and I just love running there because in a 3 mile run you see the sea, beautiful mountains, and a few donkeys here and there. I love it.

I just started reading the non-runners marathon book ...I realize that I bought it a few years back and never read it. You see, this half marathon thing has been on a my mind for a while. Yesterday there were several people over and I told a small group that I signed up for the half and was worried about the 16 mile pace limit... one guy got on the floor and did the army crawl and said "16 min is like this... you can walk the whole thing and be faster"... I tried not to let if bother me because right now I am at 15.5 when I walk/run.

I am a challenge type of gal... so having this in front of me will be a good thing.

Elizabeth
2008-05-27 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1424750

Master

azelizabeth - 2008-05-26 2:32 PM We are heading to Greece in July so once I get back hopefully in Sept I can begin a plan. Elizabeth

I'll be in Samos for a week in late July!
Dunno how my training will stay while on travel!

I'm thinking about signing up for a tri in the Netherlands - we pass through there to/from Greece.  Would be kinda cool to race internationally but despite the distances for the "fun" length tri -- Swim 300 m - Mountain bike 15 km - Run 5 km -- it's (I guess) known as a rough tri; here's the descriptions:

SWIM - SWIM - SWIM - SWIM
The first leg in this off road challenge is a swim in the North Sea, with a 'Le Mans' style start from the beach. In the race series, the athletes need to swim 1500 meters. The swim leg is divided into two parts, which are separated by a short running stretch on the beach. The participants in the fun series swim about 300 meters (once around a beach dam). The big opponents in this leg are the tidal currents, the surf and high waves.
MTB - MTB - MTB - MTB
Shaken up by the swim, the athletes continue with 30 hard kilometers of mountain biking on an off-road course leading them over the beach, through the dunes and over horse trails. During the bike leg, the contestants face ever present winds, sucking wet beach, tidal pools and loose sands. Drafting is allowed, but nontheless this leg still can be a killer.
RUN - RUN - RUN - RUN
And when this all is done, the challenge isn't over. To top the whole thing off, the athletes will have to complete a tough run of 10 kilometers, before reaching the redemption of the finish line. Besides the easy dune trails and the hard sands near the water line, the contestants have to deal with ploughing through lots of loose sand and climbs on and off the dunes.

Edited by movingsouth 2008-05-27 12:15 PM
2008-05-27 12:25 PM

Veteran
I think you should definately sign up for the tri in the Netherlands. You know the saying...location ... location... location. That is why i chose the half mary in Carlsbad... why run in downtown Phx when I can run along the coast? What a great experience to race over there. Plus it will keep you honest in your training. I love the descriptions... go for it.

Samos is nice... it will be hot but the evenings will be cool and perfect for runnning. Everyone eats dinner at 9:00pm or later... so you can sneak your workouts in after your nap (yes everyone naps) and before you dinner.

Elizabeth
2008-05-27 12:36 PM

2008-05-27 11:18 PM

Kansas
Greece, Netherlands....gosh, makes Kansas seem pretty boring! Well, I did get in some running and swimming over my weekend trip. Unfortunately when I got to Wichita, I found out that the shop that I was going to for a wetsuit was closed over Memorial Weekend! AAAHHH! So, I guess I'm gonna get to KC later this week to get one. So, Elizabeth, sorry I can't give you any help on that wetsuit information. But, I'll let you know what I find out by Friday! My plan was to swim today, but I didn't get there. I'm gonna swim and bike in the morning early instead. I'll run on Thursday, do a long bike on Friday, swim and run on Saturday and rest on Sunday.  My running is getting better. It seems weird to me, though, because if I based my running on my cardio or ability to breathe, I could run forever. It's just my legs that seem to just slow down and feel like they weigh a ton. Guess it's just gonna take more time. I know I can do more than the 5K I'm running in the tri, so that's making me feel better. Just keep after me guys to keep to my plan for the rest of this week! I know that next week is the last week to really put in a lot of training and then I need to taper down the next week before my event. Seems like I'm starving to death right now, too. Probably need to add some more carbs. 
2008-05-28 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1427704

Master

The Greece/NL trip is a business trip for my hubby, adding the spouse flight/food cost is a minimal way to get an exotic vacation!  No business connections in Kansas .

Looks like I'll need to rent a wetsuit in addition to a bike if I do the NL tri.   We do have friends in NL so I'll fire them an email and learn what options there are -- if they are willing to investigate for me.

Good job on getting some training in your weekend BigMama!  And everybody else... I had a light weekend but am back at it, though, unfortunately today I awoke with a sore throat.   I'm supposed to do a brick today, we'll see what I manage.  I'm thinking I'll wait to evening and do it without the kids, my body doesn't need the additional weight to pull/push today.  grump.

2008-05-28 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1427704

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Big Mama - 2008-05-27 8:18 PM

Greece, Netherlands....gosh, makes Kansas seem pretty boring!  

Ha ha...I was just thinking the same thing. I'm jealous of all the exotic race locations! I would LOVE to see Greece someday. Hopefully we can live vicariously through Cynthia and Elizabeth's pics!

I've got back-to-back XTERRA race weekends coming up. This weekend is Show Low, AZ and the next...oh wait you're gonna be SO JEALOUS...is in Farmington, NM. Woohoo! Yeah! I know, I know, contain the excitement. Farmington is one happenin' place baby!

The hubby and I are making a mini-vacation out of it. After Show Low we're going to drive around the Four Corners area and see Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, and Natural Bridges Monument. I've never been up that way, so we're planning for lots of hiking and biking. Then on to Farmington.

Anyways, my connection to BT may be off and on (if at all) next week, so you guys and gals keep the ship a sailin'!

2008-05-28 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1428680

2008-05-28 12:53 PM

2008-05-28 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1428700

Elite
Tucson, AZ
wgraves7582 - 2008-05-28 9:39 AM

I will drop a note down the airplane mail chute to you as I fly over on my way to Cali and Oregon.  Four Corners is cool - Hitting Moab at all?  That will make me extremely jealous!  I have to finish our kitchen so my next trip out west includes a weekend in the desert of Moab!

We won't have a chance to drive all the way up to Moab this trip, but if they keep the same schedule between these two XTERRA races next year, we may do it next time. I've never been to Moab, and the slickrock playgrounds look like a blast. Sedona has a little bit, but Moab is ALL slickrock. I'd also like to hit Frutia sometime and Durango.

I'm just gonna have to quit my job. This work thing really gets in the way of fun!

2008-05-28 6:00 PM

Master

OK, I sent my Dutch friend an email asking what he knows about renting bikes and wetsuits.  From what I can read on the english language pages, signup is offered day-of if all spaces aren't filled... so I'll mull it over a bit longer.

meanwhile I seem to have caught another cootie bug from my kids - my tickle throat of the AM is now quite achy.  I want soup for dinner

2008-05-28 6:31 PM

Modesto, California

I got to see a piece of trash steal a $4000.00 bike today! He was checking out a carbon mountain bike, out of the corner of my eye this guy slams into the front door of the store with the bike, jumps on and of he went. It happened very fast, I dropped the helmet I was shopping for, quickly glanced the store because at first I thought he was pissed or something. I chased him anyway although he had a good start, I yelled attemting to get him to turn around or hesitate so I could catch up, he got too far ahead. The employees in the store came out on bikes, he was about 100 yards away and I pointed him out, they could barely ride bikes, how sad this was becomming ! No security, no plan, no effort, its like they almost deserved it, Im sure the guy thanked them for having the pedals on too, ever wonder why pedals are not on bikes at the store? All the customers were amazed I even knew what had happened, I could care less because I did not catch him. They did however give me a 50% discount for my effort!

Edited by nevergivin 2008-05-29 7:26 AM
2008-05-28 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1429672

Master
Wisteria Lane
nevergivin - 2008-05-28 5:31 PM

I got to see a piece of trash steel a $4000.00 bike today! He was checking out a carbon mountain bike, out of the corner of my eye this guy slams into the front door of the store with the bike, jumps on and of he went. It happened very fast, I dropped the helmet I was shopping for, quickly glanced the store because at first I thought he was pissed or something. I chased him anyway although he had a good start, I yelled attemting to get him to turn around or hesitate so I could catch up, he got too far ahead. The employees in the store came out on bikes, he was about 100 yards away and I pointed him out, they could barely ride bikes, how sad this was becomming ! No security, no plan, no effort, its like they almost deserved it, Im sure the guy thanked them for having the pedals on too, ever wonder why pedals are not on bikes at the store? All the customers were amazed I even knew what had happened, I could care less because I did not catch him. They did however give me a 50% discount for my effort!

Oh my gosh are you kidding me!! WOW that is quite a day! That is really scary because there was just a thread over in the triathlon section about someone getting their bike stolen out of transition. What a sad thing that people do stuff like this! :<(
2008-05-28 11:57 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
nevergivin - 2008-05-28 3:31 PM

I got to see a piece of trash steel a $4000.00 bike today!

WHOA! That really sucks. I never noticed the pedal thing, but now that you mention it, it really makes sense. Thieves suck.

Cool that you got a 50% discount. What a crazy day!

2008-05-29 7:32 AM

2008-05-29 1:44 PM

Kansas
Not sure if I will be able to train at all today. I'm having a big of an MS exacerbation today with some vertigo. It's not too bad so I'm going to hold off and rest and see if it goes away. If it does I'll probably try swimming again and run. Don't want to get on a bike and get out on the roadways if I might fall over. That wouldn't be good! Sometimes this only lasts a little bit....sometimes it lasts for days. But, it's not too bad right now so I'm thinking it's going to be a short-lived thing this time. Hope so anyway....
2008-05-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1431416

2008-05-29 1:56 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Big Mama - 2008-05-29 10:44 AM
Not sure if I will be able to train at all today. I'm having a big of an MS exacerbation today with some vertigo. It's not too bad so I'm going to hold off and rest and see if it goes away. If it does I'll probably try swimming again and run. Don't want to get on a bike and get out on the roadways if I might fall over. That wouldn't be good! Sometimes this only lasts a little bit....sometimes it lasts for days. But, it's not too bad right now so I'm thinking it's going to be a short-lived thing this time. Hope so anyway....

Oh man that does not sound fun. I hope it goes away soon and that you feel better!

2008-05-29 4:15 PM

2008-05-30 10:07 PM

Modesto, California

Speaking of Captains, I was kidnapped by Carl Junior today, has anyone tried the new Captain Crunch shake? They should be illegal! I did !

Got my new BT tri top and BT tri bag, way cool, look for future race pics!

2008-05-30 10:43 PM

Master

I kicked my cootie bug and did a mini brick today.  So far feel OK, hopefully this virus is outta here.

I called my muddy-buddy buddy since we were going to workout together this weekend and she was down all week with the upchuck flu.  yech.   So we made a midweek appt with hopes we'll both be healthy... and healthy next weekend for the race!

Have fun travelers!   I hope for a healthy next few weeks months and we'll see where my training takes me.  I think I need to reconnect with the spouse to make sure there's a family commitment to my fun...  I get a vague feeling he's looking at june 21 as "light at end of tunnel" whereas I'm seeing the NL tri in late July and a 5K in late June and and and...  hmmmm.

2008-05-31 1:32 AM

Master
Wisteria Lane
Big Mama - 2008-05-29 12:44 PM

I hope you are already feeling better! Take care of yourself!
2008-05-31 1:33 AM
in reply to: #1431907

Master
Wisteria Lane
wgraves7582 - 2008-05-29 3:15 PM

Hey captain do you think these guys will bother with the both of us gone next week

You know what they say about the mouse playing while the cat is away.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  

of 15