Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-02-09 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1949773

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Amschrod's Group - FULL
kcovert1 - 2009-02-06 4:43 PM

Anthony, thanks again for the perspective on the HIM training.   Let's keep each other posted on any new insight!

Absolutely. I just ordered the new edition of "Triathletes Training Bible" from Amazon and it should be here Wednesday, so I should be able to read it by the weekend. 

BTW, I also finally ordered some Bach flute sonatas, so i am looking forward to those as well. Somehow I like having the CD's and not just downloading the MP3's.

I took yesterday off, and am hoping to get at least an hour in on the trainer this evening.  I just opened a HULU account, so I have lots of tv to keep me entertained (all free, btw.) It's supposed to get warmer here this weekend, so I'm hoping for a long run outside and maybe a swim at the Y.  I feel a little unfocused with my workouts lately--looking forward to March 1.

Well, you certainly did some nice training this weekend! I know what you mean about the focus. I am really following my run training plan right now, and it seems to be working well, so I intend to more strictly follow a tri training plan this season to help maintain my focus.

Anthony

2009-02-09 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1953052

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-02-09 3:35 PM

Hi all

Just thought I would check in and report my experiences with my new bike. All positive so far. Out of the box it took about an hour to build out of the box, with an experienced friend helping. Then I took another hour to fit it to me and add the computer and aero bars.

Fantastic! 

I took it out on the road for the first time on Saturday and was very pleased with everything, just 30 mins but I didn't fall off! Then a longer ride this Sunday, felt great. I still need to play with the aero bars, but I suspect there are many of us that will tweak the fit of differnt pieces from time to time.

Yes, the fit usually does take a little tweaking.

Riding on the aero bars was very strange and I have to get used to steering by leaning, but that is true for my riding in general too

Aero does take some getting used to. You mentioned in your log that you need to relax a little, and that is so true. When I first put aero bars on my road bike, I always had such a death grip on them. It took me a little while to relax, but I am a big chicken. I am sure you will quickly get the feel for it.

Anthony

2009-02-09 5:40 PM
in reply to: #1953117

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

Hi Gang,

I've been working on swimming a lot and I'm actually getting faster! I'm still comparatively slow, but for me, I've gotten speedy! Tomorrow I'm going to try a yoga class. Do any of you do yoga? It's billed as a gentle yoga for beginners, so I hope to not be twisted into knots. I'm going to get the bike tuned soon too. Our weather is still very cold and my main bike paths have 3 feet of snow on them, but spring is on the way...

Take care,

Joann

2009-02-09 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1856717

User image

Wilmington NC

Sounds like everyone is doing well with their training.  I had a good run saturday morning before driving to VA for a birthday party (aka forced family fun)  I ate way too much but was able to hold off the frosty beverages( not an easy feat around my family!).  Today I had a good swim and bike at the gym.  Tomorrow is 4x400 at the track.  Its taper time for the big race on saturday.

I signed up for some swim lessons today.  I think I get 5 private  30 min lessons for 120 bucks.  I think it will be worth it to have my stroke anylized, get pointers and even some work outs.  I start next week.

Kelly-  I think you are right about the abs- even though it would take a miracle or a hell of a lot of lipo for me to see mine- We need to do some kind of challenge to keep motivated.  I will try to think of something fun too- let me know if you come up with anything good!

Happy Monday everyone

Paula

2009-02-09 7:11 PM

User image

I would certainly be up for a "see your abs" challenge for a month or two

J

2009-02-09 8:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Anyone else for an abs challenge among friends?....anyone....anyone???  My thing is I just don't want to have to think of a routine.  I'm pretty good at sticking with it if it doesn't take too much thought.  Although, my attempt at the one hundred pushups challenge fell by the wayside, I do think that would be a great addition to any core routine.  Here's the link: http://www.hundredpushups.com/

Joanne, congrats on the swim speed. I'm with you on wishing spring was here.  I really want to get out on Buttercup, but I'm not going out there while snow is still on the ground.

Anthony, I hope I never have a flat tire adventure like yours!  That does make me think, though, that I really need make sure I can change one just in case.  The guy at our bike shop offered to have us come in and practice with him.  I think I'm going to do that before the season gets going.

Julian....I can't believe I left this until last...Congrats on the new bike.  Do you have any pics??

Have a great night, everyone!

2009-02-09 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1953610

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

I'm in for the abs challenge. Whatever it is. I haven't seen mine in a while, but I miss them.

2009-02-10 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1953391

User image

Expert
SpokaneJo - 2009-02-09 6:40 PM

Hi Gang,

I've been working on swimming a lot and I'm actually getting faster! I'm still comparatively slow, but for me, I've gotten speedy!

Yes, you have put in a lot of work, and shown excellent improvement. 

Tomorrow I'm going to try a yoga class. Do any of you do yoga? It's billed as a gentle yoga for beginners, so I hope to not be twisted into knots.

I have thought about trying some yoga using this Yoga For Triathletes DVD, because my flexibility is pretty bad. I really should give it a try since it's something I could do with my wife also. Let us know how it goes.

I'm going to get the bike tuned soon too. Our weather is still very cold and my main bike paths have 3 feet of snow on them, but spring is on the way...

Spring will get here someday....

It's great to hear from you

Anthony

2009-02-10 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1953479

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-02-09 7:52 PM

Sounds like everyone is doing well with their training.  I had a good run saturday morning before driving to VA for a birthday party (aka forced family fun)  I ate way too much but was able to hold off the frosty beverages( not an easy feat around my family!).  Today I had a good swim and bike at the gym.  Tomorrow is 4x400 at the track.  Its taper time for the big race on saturday.

Very big race for you on Saturday. You are definitely ready for it!

I signed up for some swim lessons today.  I think I get 5 private  30 min lessons for 120 bucks.  I think it will be worth it to have my stroke anylized, get pointers and even some work outs.  I start next week.

Sounds great. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Kelly-  I think you are right about the abs- even though it would take a miracle or a hell of a lot of lipo for me to see mine- We need to do some kind of challenge to keep motivated.  I will try to think of something fun too- let me know if you come up with anything good!

Good idea, but I have to admit I know very little about absEmbarassed I would like to hear all of your ideas.

Anthony

2009-02-10 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1953610

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-02-09 9:03 PM

Anyone else for an abs challenge among friends?....anyone....anyone???  My thing is I just don't want to have to think of a routine.  I'm pretty good at sticking with it if it doesn't take too much thought.

I'm up for a challenge, but like I said, I don't know how to make a routine. 

Anthony, I hope I never have a flat tire adventure like yours!  That does make me think, though, that I really need make sure I can change one just in case.  The guy at our bike shop offered to have us come in and practice with him.  I think I'm going to do that before the season gets going.

I still can't believe I went out without spare tubes. I've only flatted 3 times, but I like to be prepared. Definitely get some practice with the bike shop guy because, while it's not really hard, there are tricks to changing a flat.

Julian....I can't believe I left this until last...Congrats on the new bike.  Do you have any pics??

I was also wondering if you have some pics.

Anthony

2009-02-10 6:54 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

I will try to put together a little core work out for us. Does everyone have a stability ball?  They are a great, cheap way to work out just about every part of your body.  They are usually under 20 bucks- more like 10 at wal- mart. Most of you guys need a 65 cm ball, some packages give height suggestions- use that as a guideline.    I need to figure out how to get some pictures or I will find a website with different exercises that you can look up. 

The Amschrod ab challenge will begin soon!!!HOpefully early next week.

The Try Sports store was having ladies night tonight so I stopped by.  a Sugoi rep was there (ironically a male) giving the low down on the new gear etc...  Looks pretty nice but the pricetag was a little much for me.  $83 for a tri tank???It was nice, light and very supportive but 83 bucks???  I have figured out from the few times that I have done activities at the store that it is geared to the elite people- might not be the fastest times, but the people with all the gadgets and the money to drop on overpriced goods.  I am not one of them so I dont really fit in well there.  I am greatful for the training program that they are providing but dont know how much I will use it once I get further into the sport.  Has anyone else encountered this "elite"esque feeling?  My husband warned me about bike snobs.  I just want to find some normal people who want to go out for a training ride or run.  It might be  a harder challenge than I thought.  sorry for the rant- I was just hoping to get into a new sport, meet new people, have fun etc....  That hasnt really happened so far Frown

Paula

2009-02-11 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1955651

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-02-10 7:54 PM

I will try to put together a little core work out for us. Does everyone have a stability ball?  They are a great, cheap way to work out just about every part of your body.  They are usually under 20 bucks- more like 10 at wal- mart. Most of you guys need a 65 cm ball, some packages give height suggestions- use that as a guideline.    I need to figure out how to get some pictures or I will find a website with different exercises that you can look up.

I've never tried a stability ball. I've always neen afraid I would fall off

The Amschrod ab challenge will begin soon!!!HOpefully early next week.

Sounds great! I will also dig around the web to see what I can learn as well.

The Try Sports store was having ladies night tonight so I stopped by.  a Sugoi rep was there (ironically a male) giving the low down on the new gear etc...  Looks pretty nice but the pricetag was a little much for me.  $83 for a tri tank???It was nice, light and very supportive but 83 bucks???

It sure does get expensive. Seems like an awful lot to pay for what feels like just a couple of ounces of lycra. There are no tri stores near me, and even my LBS is not much of a shop, so I do most of my shopping online.  Sometimes you can find closeouts, and last years items for good prices. I'm also thinking of trying Hannulink, which is a brand that's not well known, but people seem to like and they have good prices.

I have figured out from the few times that I have done activities at the store that it is geared to the elite people- might not be the fastest times, but the people with all the gadgets and the money to drop on overpriced goods.  I am not one of them so I dont really fit in well there.  I am greatful for the training program that they are providing but dont know how much I will use it once I get further into the sport.  Has anyone else encountered this "elite"esque feeling?  My husband warned me about bike snobs.  I just want to find some normal people who want to go out for a training ride or run.  It might be  a harder challenge than I thought.  sorry for the rant- I was just hoping to get into a new sport, meet new people, have fun etc....  That hasnt really happened so far Frown

I have found the majority of triathletes to be not elitist at all but instead are very welcoming, helpful and encouraging. I remember at my first race setting up transition it was obvious I was a little lost, and the other people on my rack really helped me out. Of course, there are a few people who think they are "all that", but they are pretty few and far between.

So how's the taper going?  Are you getting psyched for the big day? I was telling the people at work today that you have a biiiiiiig race this weekend. I think you are going to do great!

Anthony

2009-02-12 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1957899

User image

Expert

Since Paula has a big race this weekend, I am really starting to get excited for race season!

So now that you have put in the training and you are prepared, your race really comes down to being mentally ready. So, my employees Judy, Jennifer, Jessica, Judi, and I all say to you from New York:

ROCK ON!!!!

Also, have fun and don't forget to smile for the cameras

Anthony

2009-02-12 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1959293

User image

Expert

So everyone, I had an intersting run today. 8 mile tempo run that went  well except for one little spot where I had some excitement. I was chased and actually bitten by a german shepherd around mile 2.  At the time I thought he just bumped me, but when I got home I found a bruise and 2 litttle scratches from his canines. Now it's a rigamarole because I had to go to the doctor, and I have to file a police report.

It was an 8 mile tempo run. Although I didn't hit the pace I wanted, I felt I pushed myself hard enough, and I felt great afterwards.

Anthony

2009-02-12 6:39 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Anthony,   Thanks to you and your employees for the well wishes.  I feel strong and ready for the race.  I know I have put in the time and gotten quality miles in every session.  I am not nervous or anything, just pressure on myself to achive my goal.  I am not too worried about the mental aspect, more the physical one.  I have been battling some hip and heel pain for a while.  Seems to be getting worse even with the taper.  I have increased my stretching, my boss gave me some MFR and TPR today (aka really painful massage) which helped for about 30 min.  I am going to ibuprofen load starting tonight and hope for the best.  I still feel confident that I can make my goal.  I am really looking forward to the frosty beverages for the rest of the weekend!  I have been on the wagon since September with only a short relapse when visiting family and after my last 1/2.  I did achive a milestone this morning though- I am under 160 pounds for the first time in over 3 years.  Only 159.8 but still!  Last time it lasted 1 day, and that was after a 2 week intense boot camp with no carbs and working out nearly 2 hours per day. And you wonder why the weight came back??I am on a great track now, down 20 pounds from a year ago and 20 to go. 

I will give a full race report when I get back on Sunday- Happy V-Day everyone!

Paula

Sorry to hear about the dog bite, that's scarry! Hope your weekend training goes well, keep away from the dogs and run fast!

2009-02-13 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Paula, congrats on the weight loss and have a great race!!  My thoughts will be with you, although I know you will go fast regardless!!

I'm looking forward to the abs challenge.  I do have a ball at home (although it is a little small for me.

Anthony, I think you have a few too many adventures while you are training!!  Here is my latest mishap: this morning I got all the way to the gym (about 20 min. from home) and realized that with the exception of my swimsuit, which I was wearing under my clothes, I had nothing else with me.  My bag was at home!  Fortunately, I had a pair of old goggles in the trunk, so I went in and had a good swim anyway.  I dried off with paper towels and came home commando, but I got my swim in!! I missed my swim cap the most!

I also went ahead and upgraded my membership to gold.  Seems pretty cool so far.  I have already gotten a couple of responses from one of the coaches.  I hope it pays off (literally.)

The weekend workouts are iffy this weekend.  I have to go to Ithaca tomorrow for a full day of flute auditions, and then Sunday I have a concert.  I'm going to try to get some time on the trainer and one longish run.  Have a great weekend!

2009-02-13 10:54 PM

User image

Hey everyone

Glad you are all doing well, despite neighborhood dogs! I'm on the sick list with a virus that seems to be doing the rounds, I'm always the last to get it too!

I'm off to bed with some warm juice and some single malt Scottish medicine so I should be OK later this weekend.

Tour of California to enjoy on the TV too

J

2009-02-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1959712

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-02-12 7:39 PM

That's weird. I thought I posted a reply to this post yesterday, but somehow I must have clicked incorrectly because it's not here. By now you have finished the race , so I hope it went well and I am very anxiously waitng to hear about it.

Anthony,   Thanks to you and your employees for the well wishes.  I feel strong and ready for the race.  I know I have put in the time and gotten quality miles in every session.  I am not nervous or anything, just pressure on myself to achive my goal.  I am not too worried about the mental aspect, more the physical one.  I have been battling some hip and heel pain for a while.  Seems to be getting worse even with the taper.  I have increased my stretching, my boss gave me some MFR and TPR today (aka really painful massage) which helped for about 30 min.  I am going to ibuprofen load starting tonight and hope for the best.  I still feel confident that I can make my goal.  I am really looking forward to the frosty beverages for the rest of the weekend!  I have been on the wagon since September with only a short relapse when visiting family and after my last 1/2.  I did achive a milestone this morning though- I am under 160 pounds for the first time in over 3 years.  Only 159.8 but still!  Last time it lasted 1 day, and that was after a 2 week intense boot camp with no carbs and working out nearly 2 hours per day. And you wonder why the weight came back??I am on a great track now, down 20 pounds from a year ago and 20 to go. 

Congratulations on the weight loss! I still have a "frosty beverage" a couple of times a week while I am training, but it's usually a Michelob Ultra. Anything any stronger, and I would be falling asleep on the couch 10 minites later

Sorry to hear about the dog bite, that's scarry! Hope your weekend training goes well, keep away from the dogs and run fast!

I think I can stay away from the dogs, but rinning fast? Ummmmm, not something I can really do.

2009-02-14 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1961427

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-02-13 4:59 PM

Anthony, I think you have a few too many adventures while you are training!!

Yes, a little too much excitement this week. I must say though, that after 8 years running, and about 5000 miles on the bike the last 3 years, these are my 2 biggest mishaps, so I think I'm doing pretty well. (Knock on wood!)

Here is my latest mishap: this morning I got all the way to the gym (about 20 min. from home) and realized that with the exception of my swimsuit, which I was wearing under my clothes, I had nothing else with me.  My bag was at home!  Fortunately, I had a pair of old goggles in the trunk, so I went in and had a good swim anyway.  I dried off with paper towels and came home commando, but I got my swim in!! I missed my swim cap the most!

Good job being flexible and getting your swim in anyway. Drying off with paper towels sounds kind of funny, but I can really see why you would miss your swim cap. When I swim wothout one my hair bugs me and I don't have really long hair.

I also went ahead and upgraded my membership to gold.  Seems pretty cool so far.  I have already gotten a couple of responses from one of the coaches.  I hope it pays off (literally.)

Sounds interesting. Now you really have me thinking... 

The weekend workouts are iffy this weekend.  I have to go to Ithaca tomorrow for a full day of flute auditions, and then Sunday I have a concert.  I'm going to try to get some time on the trainer and one longish run.  Have a great weekend!

Have fun at your concert!

Anthony

2009-02-14 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1961817

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-02-13 11:54 PM

Hey everyone

Glad you are all doing well, despite neighborhood dogs! I'm on the sick list with a virus that seems to be doing the rounds, I'm always the last to get it too!

I'm off to bed with some warm juice and some single malt Scottish medicine so I should be OK later this weekend.

Hope you are feeling better. My wife and son had some sort of virus that only lasted a day or so this week, so hopefully yours will pass quickly as well. I don't think my local pharmacy carries "single malt Scottish medicine".  Do you have a particular brand you recommend?

Tour of California to enjoy on the TV too 

Those guys are mighty impressive, aren't they?

Anthony

2009-02-15 3:43 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Hey y'all- back from the big race this weekend. 

We had a great time, 3 of my co workers completed their first 1/2's and I PR'ed it.  The rain held out for the first 3 1/2 hours so us 1/2'ers were done but some of the poor full marathoners got drenched and cold- the temp actually dropped 10 degrees from the start.  It was well organized as usual, people were very up beat,friendly and ready to race.

I felt good most of the way, I stayed under 9 min miles until mile 11- then I went downhill quickly with a 9:01, 9:17 and 9:18-  I always seem to run out of gas at 10 miles. But luckily I built myself a little window to allow for it.  My chip time was 1:58:35- I was actully hoping for a little better since the first 10 went so well, but I am still happy that I beat my 2 hour goal.  The key was carrying my little hand held water bottle.  If I had to stop for water I think I would have slowed down too much to make up.  Of course I ran out at mile 11 and for the first time ever, my calves started cramping up.  I choked down a few sips at mile 12 and tried to speed up but it didnt work too well. The expo at this years race was not as big as in the past but still picked up a new pair of sunglasses and a racing belt for my number and a pocket for gu etc..  This years swag was great.  Nice tech shirt with a cool design, beach towel and a cool little gear bag.  Last year's shirt was HORRIBLE so its good they stepped it up a notch.  Post race beverages were great- Nothing like a cold beer!! Cheese fries for dinner doesnt hurt either!  My husband was a great cheerleader- he hasnt come to a race in a while so it was nice to have him there.  He even agreed to do it with me next year- I wont hold it to him but would love to have a training partner again.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone- it means a lot. 

I have tons of ab exercise, I just need to figure out how to get them to you!

Thanks again,

Paula

2009-02-15 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1963282

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-02-15 4:43 PM

Hey y'all- back from the big race this weekend. 

We had a great time, 3 of my co workers completed their first 1/2's and I PR'ed it.  The rain held out for the first 3 1/2 hours so us 1/2'ers were done but some of the poor full marathoners got drenched and cold- the temp actually dropped 10 degrees from the start.  It was well organized as usual, people were very up beat,friendly and ready to race.

I felt good most of the way, I stayed under 9 min miles until mile 11- then I went downhill quickly with a 9:01, 9:17 and 9:18-  I always seem to run out of gas at 10 miles. But luckily I built myself a little window to allow for it.  My chip time was 1:58:35- I was actully hoping for a little better since the first 10 went so well, but I am still happy that I beat my 2 hour goal.

WOO-HOO!!! Congratulations on beating your 2 hour goal!! I knew you could do it!

The key was carrying my little hand held water bottle.  If I had to stop for water I think I would have slowed down too much to make up.  Of course I ran out at mile 11 and for the first time ever, my calves started cramping up.  I choked down a few sips at mile 12 and tried to speed up but it didnt work too well.

Great job pushing yourself at the end of the race. 

The expo at this years race was not as big as in the past but still picked up a new pair of sunglasses and a racing belt for my number and a pocket for gu etc..  This years swag was great.  Nice tech shirt with a cool design, beach towel and a cool little gear bag.  Last year's shirt was HORRIBLE so its good they stepped it up a notch.  Post race beverages were great- Nothing like a cold beer!! Cheese fries for dinner doesnt hurt either!  My husband was a great cheerleader- he hasnt come to a race in a while so it was nice to have him there.  He even agreed to do it with me next year- I wont hold it to him but would love to have a training partner again.

Nice swag, and that is really nice that hubby was there to cheer you on.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone- it means a lot.

You are very welcome. I am really happy you beat your goal. To tell you the truth, I have been checking the computer like every half hour today, anxiously waiting to hear how you did 

Anthony

2009-02-15 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Paula---YOU ROCK!!!!

No, really.  Great job!!  I hope that just by being in the same group as someone fast, it will rub off!

I had a sad week of workouts this week.  With sick kids, forgetting my gym bag, and my recital today, I think it is my smallest week total in a long time.  I'm really looking forward to getting back to business.

On another note, the recital went great today.  The audience was really great, and Ryan, my 5 yr-old, came to his first concert, and was very good.  He was even listening and told me which piece he liked the best.  I have another one next week, but this week shouldn't be quite as crazy.

Have a great night, you guys!!

2009-02-16 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

I found an abs workout that might work for us.  Here is the link:

http://www.d3multisport.com/blog/index.php/d3-multisport-core-strength-program-part

You start with Part I and then add the others parts (I think 4 more) until you can do them all in one day.  Part I seems hard enough to start. 

What do you think?

2009-02-16 4:55 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Kelly,  thanks for the support. The race was great- got me thinking of the mussleman 1/2 iron- I dont think I am ready to tackle that distance yet but I think there might be one in my future.  Glad your work is going well- My mom and stepfather go to many concerts in the Elmira area- do you ever play there?

Great ab work out!!  Planks are killer but really good for you.  Lets start with this work out for this week.  I will shoot for 3 times this week.  Go to walmart and get your stability balls peeps!!  Lets see those abs!!

Paula

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amschrod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22