BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-09 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1857670

Regular
Subject: RE: crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now
does anyone know of a good core routine about 20 minutes long?  also have i got everything open now or am i missing something? and  how do i get the pretty pink friends list that you all have? thanks for your help cath

2009-01-09 6:29 PM

Veteran

Hello gang!!- well- have stopped coughing long enough to update myself and read everyones posts! Sounds like everyone has been very busy- this is always a good thing. Well I think finally ( ie over 2 weeks!)- my cough/ upper respiratory infection is "calming" down- still cough- but so much better. I can't recall the last time I was so sick with this type of chest infection- hurray for modern medicine and a good drug plan!

I did my first bike ride this evening in the basment on the trainer- and it felt wonderful!! Going to try running in the morning- not suppose to be too cold ( ie - 4 C or so...)- will bundle up and see what happens. Not going to do anything dumb- as don't want to be over zealous and end up sicker!!  Take care gang! Thanks for all the well wishes!

-Helen

2009-01-09 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1898756

Regular
HelenR - 2009-01-09 6:29 PM

Hello gang!!- well- have stopped coughing long enough to update myself and read everyones posts! Sounds like everyone has been very busy- this is always a good thing. Well I think finally ( ie over 2 weeks!)- my cough/ upper respiratory infection is "calming" down- still cough- but so much better. I can't recall the last time I was so sick with this type of chest infection- hurray for modern medicine and a good drug plan!

I did my first bike ride this evening in the basment on the trainer- and it felt wonderful!! Going to try running in the morning- not suppose to be too cold ( ie - 4 C or so...)- will bundle up and see what happens. Not going to do anything dumb- as don't want to be over zealous and end up sicker!!  Take care gang! Thanks for all the well wishes!

-Helen

yay!! welcome back. cath
2009-01-09 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm typing this on Friday night because in the morning I will have to get up, go on long run, go meet Mom and Sister for breakfast and coffee, and then I will be back to check on everyone.
I hope you wake up rested and ready for a workout, I give you an order to have a wonderful weekend!!!

I will check in later and see how your day is going

Cath - your doing great with your blog on BT!

Emerson - lets get in the water this weekend

Cheri - I hope you enjoy the weekend off with friends and family.

Helen - be sure to take it easy on the run, I think you know that.

Lisa - you sound like you have your hands full this weekend with baseball, run, water stuff and cleaning... Are you really giving up the chips...wow I love those too. Good Girl! Weigh in is Monday....yikes!

Pam - Did you fall into a hole at work???? Do we need to through you a rope???

Karen - I hope you can check in and let us know how your nutrition, clipless pedals and swimming is coming along...we miss you.

Amy CA. - Hopefully you will have a chance to check in this weekend, we need all the help we can get here, and you add a lot of knowledge to the group...miss ya

Kathryn - hope all is well with you too.

If you stop by please let us know how your doing and if your having any training issues or need support in some area, or if you just need to vent.

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."

Amy IN

Edited by amy mutz 2009-01-09 9:42 PM
2009-01-09 10:28 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Well everyone, I'm back!!  Between work, training, work, training, finding a little time to sleep, just seeing how you guys would keep talking, life has been really crazy.  I'm going to need a little bit of time to catch up on the conversations.  I also want to post some more health things were could talk about.

I want a status update on how the training is going for everyone.  Are you sticking to plan?  Where are you having a hard time?  What are you doing well with?  Which workout did you do especially well with!?!

Well I am off to finish up at work.  If I can get back on tonight and catch up with everyone I will otherwise, look for me tomorrow!

2009-01-09 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Amy, thanks for being such a great "scribe" for all of us.  How are the plans going... well, mine have already changed.  I found out later today that I may be sold over the weekend.  Citi is selling off its Smith Barney division ( Global Wealth Management is about a 13 Billion dollar division in Citi) to Morgan Stanley.  Opens up some questions and as you might expect I spent a bit of time on the phone late today.  I have spent 27 years here and am a Sr. VP...  at least through today. 

I am swapping around the timing and will do an hour or hour and a half on the trainer early tomorrow... then finish up here and fly to Ohio.

Then I will run early Sunday morning in Ohio and hit the pool in the afternoon.  I will get in all three but will be checking the news this weekend to see what happens to my company.

The fun never stops...

2009-01-09 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1899113

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Need I say more...

2009-01-09 11:29 PM
in reply to: #1899113

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
etknowles - 2009-01-09 8:34 PM

Amy, thanks for being such a great "scribe" for all of us.  How are the plans going... well, mine have already changed.  I found out later today that I may be sold over the weekend.  Citi is selling off its Smith Barney division ( Global Wealth Management is about a 13 Billion dollar division in Citi) to Morgan Stanley.  Opens up some questions and as you might expect I spent a bit of time on the phone late today.  I have spent 27 years here and am a Sr. VP...  at least through today. 

I am swapping around the timing and will do an hour or hour and a half on the trainer early tomorrow... then finish up here and fly to Ohio.

Then I will run early Sunday morning in Ohio and hit the pool in the afternoon.  I will get in all three but will be checking the news this weekend to see what happens to my company.

The fun never stops...

Hey Emerson...was popping by to say hi to you and Pam and the crew....and just want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your company's well being. Hi to Peg! Hugs!

2009-01-10 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Good morning all, and happy Saturday!  Today we are thinking about:

I have the courage to trust myself.

How often do you question what is going on -- should I do this workout, should I cut this short, am I doing this right?  I think this means to believe that you are making the right decisions (at the time, at least), and that your body knows what it can and can not do.  It doesn't mean that it's an excuse to quit, but rather an opportunity to believe!

2009-01-10 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1899102

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
crea0029 - 2009-01-09 10:28 PM

Well everyone, I'm back!!  Between work, training, work, training, finding a little time to sleep, just seeing how you guys would keep talking, life has been really crazy.  I'm going to need a little bit of time to catch up on the conversations.  I also want to post some more health things were could talk about.

I want a status update on how the training is going for everyone.  Are you sticking to plan?  Where are you having a hard time?  What are you doing well with?  Which workout did you do especially well with!?!

Well I am off to finish up at work.  If I can get back on tonight and catch up with everyone I will otherwise, look for me tomorrow!

I can sympathize with the work and training demands you mentioned.  In fact, that's been my biggest obstacle -- having enough time to stick to the plan.  I've actually revised my plan to something more realistic, so don't pay attention to the training plan on my log.   Realistic for me means shorter workouts during the week and long activities on the weekend.  In fact, I'm heading out for a long run right now.

2009-01-10 1:41 PM

Regular

good after noon everyone.    today is my rest day. so house work,  errands, volunteering at a bingo late this aft for my daughters dance troupe, the usual.  Hey emerson  we are just starting the feel the economic down turn here in Alberta. (mainly oil and gas) we have been booming for 5 years.  Alberta lost 20,000 jobs in Dec.   for lack of nothing more intelligent to say..... hang in there, you are not alone.

As for Pams  requests  here goes:

sticking to plan:   the workouts went very well this week , i am right on target with my schedule. Nutrition.... massive struggle i do really well till about 4:00.  cheese is my weakness and late nite eating. my eating is directly realtaed to my stress levels and anxiety. i think i am wayyyyy to hard on myself where food is concerned because the main part of my nutrition day looking at it on paper is done well.

what gave me a hard time:    bar none  my anxiety levels( i have a massive cold sore on ,my lip to prove it) I break out in cold sores when i am anxietal.  this week was no exception so while the nutrition suffered, the workouts excelled. this is a breakthrough for me of sorts because i usually abandon everything and hide when it hits and i made sure the workouts were done(i need the endorphins) so i feel very good about that.

what is going well?:    my swimming!!!!!  my goal this week was 1250 meters in 30 minutes.... i was able to get it done in 32.   there were times this week in the pool   i felt like a shark just cruisin for my next snack(ok lame analogy given the struggle with nutriton this week). while i may not be the fastest in the pool right now the [point to me is I FEEL fast. i feel good about that.

stand out work out:    definately the day i had an anxiety atttack and ran 1 hour any way!!!!!! not only was i able to get through the rest of my day it set me up for what i could do for the rest of the week.  one small step.........

thanks for listening  cath

2009-01-10 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1899700

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
cathcan - 2009-01-10 12:41 PM

good after noon everyone.    today is my rest day. so house work,  errands, volunteering at a bingo late this aft for my daughters dance troupe, the usual.  Hey emerson  we are just starting the feel the economic down turn here in Alberta. (mainly oil and gas) we have been booming for 5 years.  Alberta lost 20,000 jobs in Dec.   for lack of nothing more intelligent to say..... hang in there, you are not alone.

As for Pams  requests  here goes:

sticking to plan:   the workouts went very well this week , i am right on target with my schedule. Nutrition.... massive struggle i do really well till about 4:00.  cheese is my weakness and late nite eating. my eating is directly realtaed to my stress levels and anxiety. i think i am wayyyyy to hard on myself where food is concerned because the main part of my nutrition day looking at it on paper is done well.

what gave me a hard time:    bar none  my anxiety levels( i have a massive cold sore on ,my lip to prove it) I break out in cold sores when i am anxietal.  this week was no exception so while the nutrition suffered, the workouts excelled. this is a breakthrough for me of sorts because i usually abandon everything and hide when it hits and i made sure the workouts were done(i need the endorphins) so i feel very good about that.

what is going well?:    my swimming!!!!!  my goal this week was 1250 meters in 30 minutes.... i was able to get it done in 32.   there were times this week in the pool   i felt like a shark just cruisin for my next snack(ok lame analogy given the struggle with nutriton this week). while i may not be the fastest in the pool right now the [point to me is I FEEL fast. i feel good about that.

stand out work out:    definately the day i had an anxiety atttack and ran 1 hour any way!!!!!! not only was i able to get through the rest of my day it set me up for what i could do for the rest of the week.  one small step.........

thanks for listening  cath

congrats on the great day and dedication to the plan!!!! And, thanks for the nice words on the economic thing... I am not at risk of job loss, but many of my friends are...  I am at the Tucson airport waiting for my flight to Dallas to go onto Cincinnati.  I got an upgrade -- yahoo -- so no bag charge, a big seat and a free drink.  Since my kids are picking me up, that free drink is looking pretty good....

I normally just fly with a briefcase but Peg had a few "things" for the baby and Courtney.  46 pounds later... well, that is what grandmothers are for...

Got in a little time on the bike early this morning, only an hour but it felt good.  Looking forward to a run tomorrow...

You guys are great at keeping up, this is fantastic and I look forward to being there for everyone when I get my head above water...   Emerson

2009-01-10 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Well it looks like everyone is hanging in as best as they can.  I need a good slap on the wrist today.  I had a scheduled workout and didn't get it done.   Well I am off to checkout everyone's logs and see how we are doing!
2009-01-11 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

The inspiration for today is:

I have the courage to make my own decisions and choices.

I think this is very appropriate.  Who knows you better than you?  Who can really tell you what is best for you?  This is very much tied with "trust yourself".  Don't beat yourself up if you skip a workout, especially if it's for a good reason.  Pick the right path for you.

2009-01-11 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
As far as answering the question-are you sticking to your plan.
Yes, I have thus far, but it has not been easy getting back in the swing this last week, like everyone else I'm back to work, back to getting family meals on a regular basis, back to trying to work in workouts before or after work, and trying to be nutrition conscious after pigging out on so many wonder treats through the holidays...so this week has been a tough one.
That being said, I'm hoping to big a biggest loser this week in weight????? And I hope this week my body doesn't feel as tired as last.
My husband is setting up a cruise for us in May to the Southern Caribbean, and we go to Florida in July.....soooooo.......can anyone say "swimsuit!" yikes, but that does give me great incentive.

I hope everyone has a great day and can get a workout in or just a nice long walk!!! I'm going for a 1 hour walk again.

Amy IN
2009-01-11 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1899102

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

I feel like I've done pretty well given the fact that my back was really bothering me the first part of the week. It's still a little tight, but nothing like it was. I think I was able to get most of my training in for the week. The hardest part is just getting back into the swing of things after the time off during the holidays. Nutrition wise, I've been doing well, until last night when I couldn't resist the temptation for a margarita. I logged everything in and didn't go overboard calorie wise for the day, so hopefully not much damage. All and all, a pretty good week!

Hope that everyone is having a great weekend! (Although I know, from working in the hospital previously, a weekend is probably like any other day for Pam!)

2009-01-11 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1900667

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

What a melt down of a day, I have spent the last six hours writing letters and e-mails to have them ready to go if we are sold tomorrow.  My clients need to hear something from me before the news reports...   The merger will be a great thing if it works.  But change always creates uncertainty and we have enough of that already.

There is a careful art to writing about things that legally you can't have an opinion about but you must have an opinion to settle your clients.  It takes a special kind of wording.  If anyone you know works for Smith Barney they will have an interesting day tomorrow...

We may end the day as Morgan Stanley Smith Barney... fine by me. 

I will be back tomorrow with help for Cath on posting the boxes in your goals section and updates on some of your other questions, etc.  I have to get back to work...

Be well all, Emerson

http://www.researchmag.com/cms/research/monthly%20issues/Issues/2007/05/ProfilesandInterviews/Profiles/05_d_p_knowles

2009-01-12 5:34 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Today's inspiration:  I have the courage to befriend myself. 

I wrote in my training log that these inspirations started out having a good tie to triathlons and training, but they are starting to become more "healing" in nature.  What do you think about me trying to find something more fitting?

2009-01-12 6:49 AM
in reply to: #1901719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Sledge - 2009-01-12 4:34 AM

I wrote in my training log that these inspirations started out having a good tie to triathlons and training, but they are starting to become more "healing" in nature.  What do you think about me trying to find something more fitting?

Your inspirations are fantastic!!!!  Liking yourself, keeping your promises to yourself and believing in yourself -- as a best friend -- is the way we should start every day!  Well done my friend!  Emerson

2009-01-12 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sledge - 2009-01-12 5:34 AM

Cheri - I appreciate you inspirations too! We always need to be reminded to be kind to ourselves, it is just to easy to beat ourselves up over things...

I hope eveyone has a great Monday! I will check back in to see what eveyone had a chance to get in for training today... I'm going to try and get a 30 min. run, spin class and Tai Chi in after work.

Take care!
Amy IN
2009-01-12 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1901762

User image

Extreme Veteran
etknowles - 2009-01-12 6:49 AM

Sledge - 2009-01-12 4:34 AM

Your inspirations are fantastic!!!!  Liking yourself, keeping your promises to yourself and believing in yourself -- as a best friend -- is the way we should start every day!  Well done my friend!  Emerson

Hope today goes smoothly for you, your right, it may be a good move but people don't usually like to change so quickly.

Amy IN

2009-01-12 9:39 AM

Regular

good morning.  the inspirations are very thought provoking. some have put a huge knot in my stomach. ( ie befriending your self etc.) but that is me.    that and giving your self permission to ask for help.  talk about hitting home!!!! but  look at the results of those  inspirations.    i am better off for having  gave my self permission to ask for help when at the the beginning of last week was feeling very helpless and if i may saY "STUPID "   I  tend to live my life thinking everyone else gets it but me..... not very condusive to self esteem.  I asked for help and not only recieved it but figured alot of stuff out from tips and simply from reading and listening.  so.... thank you for the inspires. i joined a mentor group seeking aid with sit ups and cardio in mind and am recieving so much more than that, simply by being willing ro receive in formation and friendship.  i am very grateful for that.  thanks.

have a challenge today where my swim is concerned. have an appt. an hr i may switch out tues for monday.    cath

2009-01-12 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1898624

User image

Extreme Veteran
cathcan - 2009-01-09 4:58 PM

does anyone know of a good core routine about 20 minutes long?  also have i got everything open now or am i missing something? and  how do i get the pretty pink friends list that you all have? thanks for your help cath

Cath - here is an awesome core workout that is not not daunting, but easy to learn and gets you in shape.
Didn't know if you found one yet.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Amy IN
2009-01-12 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1900667

User image

Extreme Veteran
lufferly - 2009-01-11 11:03 AM

I feel like I've done pretty well given the fact that my back was really bothering me the first part of the week. It's still a little tight, but nothing like it was. I think I was able to get most of my training in for the week. The hardest part is just getting back into the swing of things after the time off during the holidays. Nutrition wise, I've been doing well, until last night when I couldn't resist the temptation for a margarita. I logged everything in and didn't go overboard calorie wise for the day, so hopefully not much damage. All and all, a pretty good week!

Hope that everyone is having a great weekend! (Although I know, from working in the hospital previously, a weekend is probably like any other day for Pam!)

Lisa - hope you had some chips for me remember they don't count on the chart

Have a great week!
Amy IN
2009-01-12 6:42 PM

Veteran

Hi Cheri- and once again from me- I truly appreciate you daily inspirations- and yes find them very helpful in our "tri" life!!

Swim/Bike/Run is more than just a sport- but a lifestyle. Just like the daily inspirations- we learn a great deal about ourselves as we 'push' ourselves, max our bodies, both mentally and physically, as we work on achieving our goals.  So yup- I find the daiy reads wonderful!!

thanks

Helen  

PS cough/cold getting better- YEH!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  

of 18