BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-02-04 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1944729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners!
atostig - 2009-02-04 5:30 AM

That sounds like a good pre-marathon plan...anything to make it feel better!

I will get someone with more experience to check my bike...you may be on to something...thanks!  

Getting a bike fit can be huge in how comfortable you are. Some people have it done midseason too as your body changes as you train. You also might have your seat fit. Sounds funny but having a seat that is sized correctly to your anatomy can be very important as well. Something I found during my last fit is the "fitter" moved my aero bars apart. If you have them on your bike moving them out opens up your chest and allows you to breathe easier. You are less aero but for me the trade off was hugely in my favor. (At 5'10" and 190 how aero can I be anyway)

2009-02-04 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1857812

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Hi everyone! I survived the cold of Connecticut, we even had snow yesterday. But you know, I think it's colder here right now!

Nutrition - I actually just had a consultation with a highly recommended sports nutritionist and here are some of the changes "we" are making -

> rather than 3 meals a day, break everything up into 6 smaller meals
> never go more than 3 hours without food (2 to 2.5 hours is best)
> protein alone is ok, carbs and protein together is ok, carbs alone is BAD
> one of the meals will be a protein shake with milled flax seed added
> substitute carrots for chips at lunch (I have to have something crunchy)
> if I must have a dessert, have a skinny cow ice cream sandwich or a sugar free pudding
> do not eat anything within 2 hours of bed time

There's a whole lot more info but that's kind of the basics. I just started today, so we'll see how it goes. It seems easy enough.

2009-02-04 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Hi Scott,

I have a question for you. I have a CycleOps fluid trainer, I've had it for years so I'm not sure the model. I'm also not sure how other trainers work, but this is pretty easy to set up. Once you set it up, there's a resistance crank that moves the metal surface that your tire rolls on, away from or toward the tire. That's where my question comes in. It's just a turn type knob, but I never know how hard to tighten it. Just so it touches the tire? Are the newer trainers self adjusting? I know the tension changes are you pedal and the fluid heats up, as well as when shifting gears. But when setting up, how much do you turn that knob? Any ideas?
2009-02-04 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Breakfast - protein shake
Mid morning - Kashi cereal with soy milk
Lunch - turkey on whole wheat bread, carrots
Mid afternoon - protein bar
Early evening - was supposed to be yogurt and apple (skipped it because I was too busy at work)
Dinner - chicken and cauliflower
Dessert - skipping because I didn't eat so well while I was traveling
2009-02-05 12:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Belleville
Sorry I went awol for a whole week. No excuse finally got my lazy arse back into the gym today. I need a rededication and some motivation, or abuse so be it lol. At least I haven't gained and actually lost 1 lb with literally no exercise for nearly a week. My body was letting me know it wasn't happy with me today that's for sure.
2009-02-05 7:23 AM
in reply to: #1946213

Regular
karen26.2 - 2009-02-04 9:25 PM

Hi Scott,

I have a question for you. I have a CycleOps fluid trainer, I've had it for years so I'm not sure the model. I'm also not sure how other trainers work, but this is pretty easy to set up. Once you set it up, there's a resistance crank that moves the metal surface that your tire rolls on, away from or toward the tire. That's where my question comes in. It's just a turn type knob, but I never know how hard to tighten it. Just so it touches the tire? Are the newer trainers self adjusting? I know the tension changes are you pedal and the fluid heats up, as well as when shifting gears. But when setting up, how much do you turn that knob? Any ideas?

Karen,
I know you asked Scott, but I think I have the same or similar trainer. The manual says to turn the knob 1 1/2 times. I don't always turn the knob the same. Newer more expensive models have a way to vary the resistance during exercise, but I find that changing gears works just fine. When I am on the trainer, I am usually using my heart rate monitor. I figure out what the resistance needs to be to keep my heartrate where I want it. (If I need to change the resistance while on the bike, I get one of my kids to change it.) For the most part, I find that 1 1/2 turns of the resistance knob is higher than I need for an hour on the trainer, but is fine for shorter workouts.

2009-02-05 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Thanks Cole, that's about what I have been doing. And by all means anyone please answer, I should have posted question to all.
I find sometimes that when my spinerval DVD says to stand and we are on the highest gear there's not enough tension. Other times it's ok.
If I decide to get a new trainer in the hopes of getting my husband to train with me - does anyone have a recommendation?
2009-02-05 2:37 PM

Regular
I also have a question. Why do trainer dvds and spin classes have us stand up in the pedals under a heavy gear? I have never been in a situation like that out on the road. If you are in such a hard gear that you have to stand up, you need to shift. Racers stand up in the pedals for very short periods of time usually to let blood flow. Lance Armstrong trains in the Alps, and his coach makes him sit down because he gets more power that way. I am enjoying spin classes, but I am wondering how they help me train to be a better rider.
2009-02-05 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1947616

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
colewarren - 2009-02-05 3:37 PM

I also have a question. Why do trainer dvds and spin classes have us stand up in the pedals under a heavy gear? I have never been in a situation like that out on the road. If you are in such a hard gear that you have to stand up, you need to shift. Racers stand up in the pedals for very short periods of time usually to let blood flow. Lance Armstrong trains in the Alps, and his coach makes him sit down because he gets more power that way. I am enjoying spin classes, but I am wondering how they help me train to be a better rider.

I hear ya, but let me tell you - I did a very hilly ride this past summer. I was already in my granny gear - looking for another granny. I had to stand up so I wouldn't fall over. I think generally speaking you are correct, but if you have a long steep climb standing up does come in handy. In spin class I notice a huge increase in my heart rate when I stand, so I of course like that. For my DVD's, the only time they say to stand is to get the blood flowing because we've been sitting for so long.

There's a thread about spin classes and advantages/disadvantages to standing on here somewhere. People's opinions were mixed but it was interesting to hear the different thoughts. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.
2009-02-05 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1947711

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-02-05 1:14 PM

colewarren - 2009-02-05 3:37 PM

I hear ya, but let me tell you - I did a very hilly ride this past summer. I was already in my granny gear - looking for another granny. I had to stand up so I wouldn't fall over. I think generally speaking you are correct, but if you have a long steep climb standing up does come in handy. In spin class I notice a huge increase in my heart rate when I stand, so I of course like that. For my DVD's, the only time they say to stand is to get the blood flowing because we've been sitting for so long.

There's a thread about spin classes and advantages/disadvantages to standing on here somewhere. People's opinions were mixed but it was interesting to hear the different thoughts. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

I am not sure about trainers but I stand often when I am on my bike, especially in a race. Sometimes it is to pull a hill, sometimes it is just to kick up the pace a bit then I sit right back down, sometimes it is to use a little different group of muscles and keep from getting stiff and sore from sitting the whole time. As far as a trainer goes I am sure it is good to mix it up a bit. One of the things that is important in training is to make your body adjust. Vary the intensity, duration and conditions and your body will be more well rounded (I never thought I would want my body to be more rounded than it already is :-) ) and better able to adapt. This also prevents plateaus in training and keep you progressing along the training path. There's my two cents.
2009-02-05 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1946438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
moves327 - 2009-02-04 10:09 PM

Sorry I went awol for a whole week. No excuse finally got my lazy arse back into the gym today. I need a rededication and some motivation, or abuse so be it lol. At least I haven't gained and actually lost 1 lb with literally no exercise for nearly a week. My body was letting me know it wasn't happy with me today that's for sure.

No problem. Glad your back. I hope your being careful about burnout.

2009-02-06 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1946186

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC

Okay guys...forgive me for these types of questions, but I am VERY new to all of this...What are some examples of Protein Shakes that would be helpful to me?  I don't even know where to begin to look for stuff like that, and I want to make sure I am getting something that is useful. 

Thanks!

2009-02-06 11:43 AM

Regular
No need to apologize for questions. When I need a quick meal replacement or liquid protein, I mix Carnation Instant Breakfast (found on the cereal aisle) with skim milk. My husband likes to make fruit smoothies with yogurt (nonfat), fresh or frozen fruit, and skim milk. The smoothies have protein from the yogurt and milk.
2009-02-07 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
I just started having a protein shake a day. I throw the following into a blender and add ice until it's a nice thick consistency -

1 Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
1 Banana (or strawberries, whatever fresh fruit I have around)
1 Tbs. Milled Flax Seed
Water
Splenda

I want to try adding a little bit of peanut butter or almond butter to add a nutty taste. It's pretty good as is though.
2009-02-09 10:44 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Come fly with me!

Did 1400m full freestyle in 45 mins today. Never done this in my life. Last week, ran 5km  non-stop , have not done that since 1981. I really am enjoying all this exercise.

Justin

2009-02-09 4:41 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Great Job Justin

Keep up the good work!!!

2009-02-09 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1949044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
atostig - 2009-02-06 8:30 AM

Okay guys...forgive me for these types of questions, but I am VERY new to all of this...What are some examples of Protein Shakes that would be helpful to me?  I don't even know where to begin to look for stuff like that, and I want to make sure I am getting something that is useful. 

Thanks!

Ask away. Its no problem. If you are asking you aren't the only one that has the question. Personally I use a whey protein supplement (2 scoops) with ice, a banana if available, a little milk (non fat) and a tray of ice. There are a lot of formulas out there but with four kids at home a big jug of whey protein is one of the few things they will stay out of. 2 bunches of bananas last maybe three days around the house. I do like the idea of adding fresh fruit when possible. We can't get too much of that kind of food. The other reason I like the whey protein in that it comes usually with vitamins and minerals etc which can help also. Good question. Keep them coming.
2009-02-09 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1952514

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!
jtdintaipei - 2009-02-09 8:44 AM

Did 1400m full freestyle in 45 mins today. Never done this in my life. Last week, ran 5km  non-stop , have not done that since 1981. I really am enjoying all this exercise.

Justin

Good for you! Nice work. We are proud of you! Keep it up!
2009-02-09 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
It is fun to see you all having successes in a lot of different ways. You are doing really well at keeping up your logs too. Nice work. So what has been easy and what has been hard so far?
2009-02-09 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1953390

Regular
holt1997 - 2009-02-09 6:40 PM

It is fun to see you all having successes in a lot of different ways. You are doing really well at keeping up your logs too. Nice work. So what has been easy and what has been hard so far?

Nutrition became too hard for me to focus on in the short term. (I explained in my log.) I am hopeful that I will get to the point that I will work more on putting good fuel in my body. I am currently doing well at getting enough fuel in my body.

Riding outside is so much different than riding a trainer, but I love it. We got outside on the road this weekend and I realized that the only way to get faster is to ride more outside. I hope the weather cooperates. I will continue to try to build my aerobic capacity, but I also want to start working on speed. I made a comittment to never pass up a ride with friends or family. Sometimes that means I ride slower than I can. I don't think it hurts me in the long run.

My oldest son has started running with his girlfriend. They want me to train them for a 1/2 marathon. Could be fun.
2009-02-10 6:44 AM
in reply to: #1953594

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC
Okay everyone...I am starting to panic...I am doing the Myrtle Beach Marathon (my first full ever) this Saturday...and they are calling for thunderstorms with wind gusts up to 24 mph.  I feel like I have trained well for the run...but the weather conditions are freaking me out!!!!!!!!!

2009-02-10 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1954004

Regular
atostig - 2009-02-10 7:44 AM

Okay everyone...I am starting to panic...I am doing the Myrtle Beach Marathon (my first full ever) this Saturday...and they are calling for thunderstorms with wind gusts up to 24 mph.  I feel like I have trained well for the run...but the weather conditions are freaking me out!!!!!!!!!

Chuck,
My suggestion is to find a better weather report to believe. I did some searching and found a weather report for Myrtle to only be 10mph winds with a 40% chance of showers (this means it will only rain on you 40% of the time). Definitely keep searching for a more favorable weather report.

If all else fails and you do have 24mph winds, find the biggest person there to run behind. Drafting works for cycling, and in those winds it will work for running.

Freaking out is part of the marathon experience. My best advice for you other than what is stated above, is to trust your training. Your training will get you through.
Cole
2009-02-10 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1955286

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
colewarren - 2009-02-10 4:03 PM

atostig - 2009-02-10 7:44 AM

Chuck,
My suggestion is to find a better weather report to believe. I did some searching and found a weather report for Myrtle to only be 10mph winds with a 40% chance of showers (this means it will only rain on you 40% of the time). Definitely keep searching for a more favorable weather report.

If all else fails and you do have 24mph winds, find the biggest person there to run behind. Drafting works for cycling, and in those winds it will work for running.

Freaking out is part of the marathon experience. My best advice for you other than what is stated above, is to trust your training. Your training will get you through.
Cole

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Trust in yourself, you will do great.

And never believe the weather people - they are never right! No point in worrying about it now, so much can change between now and then. And, if it does rain, and there's a little wind, you still can run and have a great time out there. Smile and make us proud!
2009-02-10 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
atostig - 2009-02-10 4:44 AM

You are going to be great. You will finish strong. One step at a time that is all you can control. The rest is just details. Besides the people who predict the weather are seldom right. Least it seems that way. Good luck in your race.
2009-02-11 4:04 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Come fly with me!-

atostig - 2009-02-10 8:44 PM Okay everyone...I am starting to panic...I am doing the Myrtle Beach Marathon (my first full ever) this Saturday...and they are calling for thunderstorms with wind gusts up to 24 mph.  I feel like I have trained well for the run...but the weather conditions are freaking me out!!!!!!!!!

Go for it, you will amaze yourself, and encourage all of us. You have all of us cheering you on. Look forward to reading your race report.

Justin

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19