BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-05-14 1:32 AM
in reply to: #2071361

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL
Hey All!  It seems like forever since I've checked in.  My family is still in town so I haven't been on the computer much.  However, I have been doing great getting my training in although this week is slow since I have my first tri on Sunday (could use some prayers that the jellys don't totally invade and it doesn't turn into a duathlon as we won't find out for sure until Friday afternoon.)

Scott ~ I'm glad your biz partner is ok.  What are the chances, huh?!

2009-05-14 12:30 PM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Hi gang
I'm still here, the last few weeks have been rough with working 10 hours a day 7 days a week and being injured I'm glad I did'nt injure myself more. I told my boss on tuesday that I was done and would see him on monday he was pissed because he wanted me to work another weekend. I told if I did'nt take some time off now it could be alot more later.

Friday I'm going in for my bike fit and then this weekend were going to WallaWalla and check out the Onionman course and maybe jump in the lake. Hopfully the water will be warmer then 50 by race day. And for my birthday DW got me new red bike tires and bike bottle plus a bunch of other stuff from TRI-sport wooohooo.

Still have not figured out what injury caused what injury calf to hip or hip to calf but its coming around slowly i'm able to sit for longer periods of time now without my whole leg going numb. I also got a compression calf sleeve to wear while running I will try that today to see if that helps. I hope not having a bike fit is the cause of my injury.

Happy training everyone.
2009-05-14 11:45 PM
in reply to: #2150877

User image

Veteran
gslye - 2009-05-14 12:30 PM Hi gang
I'm still here, the last few weeks have been rough with working 10 hours a day 7 days a week and being injured I'm glad I did'nt injure myself more. I told my boss on tuesday that I was done and would see him on monday he was pissed because he wanted me to work another weekend. I told if I did'nt take some time off now it could be alot more later.

Friday I'm going in for my bike fit and then this weekend were going to WallaWalla and check out the Onionman course and maybe jump in the lake. Hopfully the water will be warmer then 50 by race day. And for my birthday DW got me new red bike tires and bike bottle plus a bunch of other stuff from TRI-sport wooohooo.

Still have not figured out what injury caused what injury calf to hip or hip to calf but its coming around slowly i'm able to sit for longer periods of time now without my whole leg going numb. I also got a compression calf sleeve to wear while running I will try that today to see if that helps. I hope not having a bike fit is the cause of my injury.

Happy training everyone.

Nice job taking your weekend back.  You need to get away from work, hopefully he will understand the overall performance will go up.

Injuries suck!!  Hope you come back around quickly.  I ran the other night and noticed that because of my knee injury, my hip was compensating and started straining a bit, so I stopped.

Sounds like a good weekend, enjoy it. 
2009-05-15 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Good luck and kick some rump to all our peeps who are racing this weekend. Happychick, elheffe, JTchiefs, Mericson and our Mentor JeepFleep.

Tonight I plan on getting in a long trainer ride tonight so I can ride long on Sunday. Looking foward for warmer weather to get some OWS in. Have a good weekend all.   
2009-05-16 2:38 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Thanks Todd!  They've officially changed my tri to a due because of the dang jellys ~ errrrg!  Oh well...I figure it will be good practice for my next scheduled tri!!
2009-05-18 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2154571

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Happychick - 2009-05-16 2:38 AM

Thanks Todd!  They've officially changed my tri to a due because of the dang jellys ~ errrrg!  Oh well...I figure it will be good practice for my next scheduled tri!!

Bummer they cancelled the swim! I hope you had a great time out there anyway

I had some great workouts this weekend but am planning a volume decrease this week and next. One June starts I'll be hitting it hard again.

I do have a question. I had an incredible ride this weekend. I've never averaged over 18 for any length of time on the bike. It's been a huge goal of mine and I was so bummed last week when I averaged 17.9. I was at 18.0 until we ended on an uphill! This weekend I went out with a group and I felt great. I got dropped twice but averaged 19.2 overall! I am so beyond excited about this breakthrough. However, it brings up a concern. I kept with the group great on the flats and even the first few uphills. It's the downhills I have trouble with. I get dropped hard on them unless I get into my heaviest gear and hammer my legs off. Then I am able to keep with the group, but I'm burned out on the next uphill because the rest of the group is recovering. After 3-4 hills, I'm cooked and get dropped. It's been the story of my riding life. First I was told it was because I am small. I pointed out other small women on the ride who can keep up. I was told it was because they have nicer bikes (true at the time). This ride my bike was much nicer then 2 girls who are smaller then me. They had no problem coasting down with the guys, but here I am, unable to keep up even on my nice tri bike as aero as I can get. I'm just at a loss as to why this is so hard for me. To give an example, the fastest I've ever been is maybe 32 mph. That's hammering down a hill that others are coasting at 35-40. Normally downhill I'm going 22-25 while the group's at 30.

2009-05-19 6:28 AM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Hi guys.  Sorry I missed check in yesterday.  Busy Monday as usual.  Going to be a full week this week.  Training plan bumps up another level this week. Work should be slightly lighter with my partner coming back to help out on Wednesday. (yay!) Also going to a local "training camp" this weekend to work on some OWS and transition set up.  Should be fun despite the cold water temps.  Right now water temps in the area are still hovering around 55. BRRR!  Thanks goodness for wetsuits.  Have a great week everyone.
2009-05-19 7:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-19 7:30 AM

2009-05-19 8:57 AM

Sorry I also missed monday recap, But recovery beer and BBQ got in the way Laughing

Last week turned out better then I had hoped left calf is calming down allowing me to run a little faster,the bike fit was excellent I learnded a lot from the LBS.Went for a 50 miler the next day and for the first time I had no knee pain through the whole ride threw in the 2 mile run afterwards and all was good.

Went down to WallaWalla and did the first OWS in Beninngton lake rode the bike course for sundays OLY and now I'm ready for the season to get started.

Me and DW jumped into the Columbia last tuesday 47 deg water just a bit to cold for me but Roni was just swimming away I think she's damaged.

2009-05-19 9:29 AM

Expert
Pittsburgh

Last week was a good week for me, mainly because I finally broke out the tri-bike. Smile  Got in a couple of decent rides, and I also found a fairly deserted road with just rolling hills and slopes, so I'm very happy with this development!  Rode it for over an hour one day, and only saw 3 cars.  I felt awkward on the first ride, but humming along nicely for the 2nd ride.

Looking to increase the swim this week and maintain the bike and run.  Not starting out great since it won't be until Wednesday before I run or bike.

2009-05-19 12:35 PM

Expert

Hola to the group! It's been a while since I've checked in so here goes...

Last week was kind of strange. I've had some outside stuff happening that has been causing me some stress and it kind of culminated last week. I don't know why I haven't been dealing well with these situations lately. On top of that a week ago last Saturday I hyper-extended my knee. I talked with a trainer about it and he said I should stay off of it for 2-3 days and that I would be good to go in my race. I did that, used plenty of ice and heat and it definitely felt better as the week progressed.

I raced on Sunday for the first time since last September. It felt like a lot longer. I was nervous before the race, as I usually am before OWS but things turned out well and I had a really great swim for me. The rest of the race went well although I definitely know I need to put in a lot more work to improve.

Yesterday and today I've been feeling pretty run down so I'm just relaxing and plan on getting back on plan tomorrow. I'm starting an Oly plan so that I peak for a race in September. I'll race 1 or 2 more times before then.

Congrats to everyone who raced last weekend!

2009-05-19 7:44 PM

Master
Almost Canada, WA
I see I'm not the only one trying to play catch up here!  My family went home yesterday so things are returning to "normal."  I raced on Sunday and took 1st in my age group.  I'm pretty stoked about it as I NEVER expected that.  Now I'm just praying that some freakish thing doesn't happen again and I'm able to actually do the North Shore Tri I have scheduled for 7 June!!
2009-05-19 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2162037

Expert
Awesome!! Way to earn that hardware.  The first of many more I hope.  =)
2009-05-20 12:30 PM

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Congrats on the win way to go!!
2009-05-20 1:22 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Yay!!!! Congrats on the AG win!

2009-05-20 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2160059

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
JeepFleeb - 2009-05-19 7:30 AM

Erin: it's kind of hard to say without seeing you, your bike, your position, etc.  For now I'd just say that your riding with a pack that's just too fast for you.  Find a slightly slower group so you don't have to kill yourself to makeup for those downhills as much.

Hmmm, that makes sense. With my normal group I'm one of the strongest climbers. So, I drop off on the dowhills and catch them on the uphills and it's not really a problem. This group was much stronger on the uphills so I couldn't drop off the back on the downs and expect to catch them later. I still want to get faster on the downhills though. My bike is a women's specific QR tri bike, but it's not set very aggressively due to my hip inflexibility. Hopefully as the hips get more flexible, I'll be able to get it refit and get more aero.
2009-05-21 2:32 PM

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Its 85 and sunny and I am ready to get out of the office and train. Sunday I will finally get in my first OWS. I still have about 6 weeks before 1st OWS race and plan to get about 4 session in before then. Water is finally warm enough and I have the spare time.
2009-05-22 2:27 PM

Expert
Pittsburgh
Hope everyone has an excellent weekend - and you get some great training in! Cool
2009-05-22 7:44 PM

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Does everyone have a long weekend?  My hubby has a 4 day so all I can say is "Yeeeeeaaaa!!!"

Got a question...what do you do to recover after a race?  Anything?  Take a day or two off then get right back into it or take it slow for a few more days?  I saw someone mention to take it slow with bricks and hard workouts after someone did a race so I'm just curious.
2009-05-22 9:31 PM

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

And yes I get a 4 day weekend yaaaaaaa!!!

2009-05-22 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2169076

2009-05-24 3:03 PM

Expert
Met up with a bunch of BT'ers today for a practice run of the course that a lot of members are running next weekend.  We had to run it in reverse do to some lifeguards trying hard to enforce some silly rule about no swimming while they aren't on duty, but  we had a great time anyway. Surprisingly, the water was almost too warn for the wetsuits. I really could have done the swim without it.   Was good practice though. Happy Holiday everybody.
2009-05-25 2:04 AM
in reply to: #2170785

Master
Almost Canada, WA
gobluedds - 2009-05-24 10:03 AM Met up with a bunch of BT'ers today for a practice run of the course that a lot of members are running next weekend.  We had to run it in reverse do to some lifeguards trying hard to enforce some silly rule about no swimming while they aren't on duty, but  we had a great time anyway. Surprisingly, the water was almost too warn for the wetsuits. I really could have done the swim without it.   Was good practice though. Happy Holiday everybody.

Does that mean summer is finally reaching you?!   It's hot as hell here so if the offer still stands for those swim lessons...
I, too, hope everyone has a good holiday!!
2009-05-26 10:04 AM

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Everyone happy to be back at work today? Unless you lucked out and took another day.

First OWS was a successful. Water temp was perfect. I thought my sighting went well. I didnt peak up and have to stop and figure out where I was. Keep on course the whole time. Swam a little slower than normal to just being cautious since I have never swam that distance straight. Sunday will be a better swim workout since I know a little more of what to expect.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17