Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-05-13 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2148925

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Jackjack's group - closed
Yes - you've both got it!  You need to run in the heat. 
Swimming isn't a problem and biking with the wind you're making cooling you down doesn't seem so bad either so it is running that seems to need most work.
My early June Oly last year, it was so cold people were worrying about swimming in the lake and then the day off it hit 90s which was very unusual for up here at that time.  I died (or felt like it and ended up walking a few mins towards the end)

Anyway, yes, run in the heat, up your distance slowly and hydrate - just as Dee said.
If like here you can't get the temps you need then I tend to overdress a bit to practice.  So, I'll wear trackies and a light long sleeved top instead of just shorts and t shirt sometimes just to make myself feel hot.

2009-05-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2149394

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Morning everyone
I have done my abs - another whole 5 mins (sarcastic wow!) but better than nothing.  I even did some suitcases - what are you supposed to do with your arms?  They kind of naturally went out to the side and if I tried overhead I started to lose balance

So, did everyone do as they planned yesterday?  I'm debating with myself what to do tomorrow. Theoretically this race on Sat is a training race, but, having not done one before and being so darn competitive with myself I want to do well so I have set myself some optimistic targets.  Which means I will probably make it a very light day tomorrow - a kind of mini taper as I did a few pick ups on bike and run today.

It's raining here   - good for the grass seed that has just been put down though

Is anyone racing this weekend apart from me and Jenny?

Rachel - did you do the 5k last night?  If so, how did it go?

Have a great day

Jackie
2009-05-14 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2077527

User image

Expert
Good morning,
I didn't get the run in that was planned for yesterday before it got dark out. So, I switched gears and swam instead. I'm trying to be flexible in what I do each day, as long as I do something. So, today is scheduled for a 2 hour bike, but if it continues to rain, I might switch that to yesterdays run.
2009-05-14 1:03 PM

User image

Master
here it is Thursday and I have yet to do anything close to looking like a core exercise.  I did prep awesome grassfed beef burgers for DH to grill last night... Topped with bacon and bluecheese wrapped in wheat buns.  mixed greens salad and grilled broc and cauliflower.  yum.   That was a completely yummy meal to eat - do I get any core points for it?

I still have a dang lingering cough but did run my 3 miles this morning and held my pace.  I think mostly I need to get my mental game back built up.  And work on temperature regulation.  Cooling myself with a towel soaked in icy water in the gym will not be so easy to replicate outdoors.

I'm now off with the  kids to meet DH for lunch during his midday jury-duty break.  Hopefully we'll time it right!

-Cynthia
2009-05-14 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Good luck with races this weekend!
My little sister flies in tonight and will be here through Sunday late-afternoon.
We are taking her camping up in the mountains for one night, possibly two.
I am shooting for 1 night so we can hang out and do girl stuff the second night.

Yes, I did my bike ride yestersday morning. Today I woke up at 5:00 am and did a 6-mile
run. Tonight I am hitting the pool for this crazy-looking workout - 2200 yards before my
sister flies in.
She and I will run 3-4 miles together up at the lake and I'll make sure to sneak out early one morning for my long ride on Friday or Sunday morning.

I may not check back in until Sunday night/ Monday morning since we'll be busy with company.
What's up for everyone else this weekend?
Have fun and I hope you all have nice weather!
2009-05-14 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2151218

User image

Expert
Have fun with your sister!

2009-05-14 5:25 PM

User image

Regular
Dee - enjoy camping with your sister.  Sounds fun : )

Jackie - usually I keep my arms by my sides when I'm extended, and grab my shins when I tuck up.  You can put them over your head, but then you usually have to straighten your legs as well to keep your balance.  I call those 'V ups', and they're hard!

My first final was this morning, and did not go so well.  I'm buckling down for the next three.  I am not doing my planned workout today - I'm concerned about a bit of shin and knee pain that's been troubling me since sunday.  I do, however, plan on doing abs, and stretching at the very least. 

Hope everyone has a nice rest of their evening : )
2009-05-14 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2151218

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Dee, have fun with your sister. It's nice that you can do active stuff with your family.

Di, look after yourself and good luck with the rest of your finals.

We have some friends visiting this weekend (they're from UK but living in Ottawa for a year).  They arrive Sat lunch til Monday so after my race that'll probably be it exercise wise for me this weekend

I had an unplanned miss of swimming tonight due to a late running kids baseball game.  Oh well, perhaps I'll go to the Y tomorrow
2009-05-15 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning ladies,

Diana- good luck with the rest of your finals.
Jackie-enjoy your company this weekend.

I missed my workout last night. I opted tospend the time catching up with my husband. It's amazing how hard it is to find time to spend with some one who I actually live with!

After work Today, I'm driving down to pick my daughter up from school and bring her home for the summer.
Every one have a great day!
2009-05-15 12:40 PM

User image

Master
I was supposed to swim and bike this AM but after being awake 2 hours last night coughing from 1-3ish I decided to only swim.  But I made it a worthwhile swim - added 2 50s to the workout (making it a 12x50 instead of 10x50) and decided to "cool down" with a 400 to see what my current pace is at the length - my race length.  I hit it at 8:10 -- which for me is great, probably not attainable in the OWS chaos, but I've a month before the tri so who know what vast improvements I'll see .

I'm still coughing... trying to decide if I want to brave the dr's office for the hope of an inhaler or other suggestion to ease the coughs. 

I'm trying to think if I can wedge a bike ride into the weekend to make up for today's skipped one.  I'm thinking to maybe bring my bike to the family gathering on Sunday and get dropped off x miles from home for a workout.  I'm wary of this plan as I think it's supposed to be in the 90s his weekend so a midafternoon ride is not ideal timing.  I'll have to review the weather predictions and rest of weekend plans.  There's always the trainer in the garage/driveway after the sun sets and it cools... presuming my coughing hasn't worn me out of energy like yesterday.

Sounds like I'm not the only one with family visits this weekend - enjoy your sister and daughter Dee and Heidi!  Di - are you done this week?  flying back to CA soon?

-Cynthia
2009-05-15 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Cynthia-I hope you start to feel better soon!

I snuck out of work early today to get a ride in before picking up my daughter. It's really beautiful out today! I decided to try an energy gel on this ride, since I haven't done much experimenting with them yet. I had a Kiwi-strawberry CarBoom in the house so I brought it with me and used it at the half way mark (30 minutes) . Now I have questions:

Can I mix it in water? It was way too sweet for me, undiluted.
At what point in the work out should I do a supplement?
Any other suggestions for things to try?

I should say, I have a "texture thing" so I'm doubting any gel will really be ideal for me. I tried the sports beans last year, and they were way too sweet too.

What does every one else do?

I'm on my way to college town now!

2009-05-15 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2153670

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Cynthia - hope you feel better soon.

Heidi,  as to gels, there are quite a few manufacturers out there (gu, powergel, hammer etc) not to mention loads of different flavors so it may just be a case of finding one you like.  My favorite is gu and I like the chocolate and the expresso love but I have a REALLY REALLY sweet tooth, not to mention being a chocoholic!  Always make sure you wash a gel down with 4-6oz of water or it may cause stomach issues.  There is absolutely no reason you cannot dilute them - just make sure in total you are taking enough water with them.  I know gu does a plain variety which may be less sweet for you so I'm sure other brands must do too.

Alternatives are solid foods which many people can eat on bike - but hard to on run.  If you are going for a long bike ride then you can experiment with sports bars, bananas, sandwiches whatever you like really.
Another alternative is just to go with sports drinks which have electrolytes to replace sweat and calories for nutrition.  For shorter races (I say up to OLY but theoretically you can do this on an Ironman too!) they can supply you with all you need.  Again finding one is a matter of taste.   I have been using Gatorade Endurance and I dilute it a bit when getting calories in isn't such an issue. I have just got some Gu2O to try which is marketed as having a more subtle taste so I will let you know once I've tried that.

For workouts shorter up to an hour you shouldn't need anything other than water, unless of course you are experimenting to see how your body handles things.  If going for an hour or so, I tend to take my first gel about 40mins in and then every 30mins.  But I also sometimes just go with Gatorade and water and just alternate which bottle I sip right from the start.

Have fun at the weekend everyone, whatever you're doing

Jackie
2009-05-15 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2153812

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Hello!
Sorry I have been MIA this week, we had final exams at school so between giving my finals, grading, and final meetings, etc., I have been VERY busy.
I haven't gotten to do much outside of soccer this week (I did get in a couple short 1-2 mile runs though) and I felt great. No knee pain, no foot pain, felt awesome. So I am really excited about the race on Sunday. Hopefully I'll stay painfree there. My goal is to finish, and to be able to run the entire thing (except the aid stations). The course is pretty cool- the last mile is through Lambeau Field (where the Packers play) and we get to actually run around the field. If I have the energy, maybe I'll try a Lambeau Leap!
I'll keep everyone updated about my first attempt at a half marathon!
Anyone else have any races this weekend or exciting plans?
Jenny
2009-05-16 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2154252

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
So here I am in Green Bay, ready for tomorrow morning! I went to pick up my packet and enjoy the yummy pasta dinner tonight, and now I am just relaxing here at the hotel before getting some sleep before tomorrow morning. I am a little nervous but mostly excited. I have everything planned out, so I feel pretty confident that I should be able to do this. I have my nutrition planned out and clothing options ready (it's either going to be 55-60 and sunny or 45 and super windy).
On the question about the gels- I am pretty picky about gels too, and for me, I have found I like the Accel-gel by Accelerade. The strawberry kiwi is good (to me it tastes like a fruit roll-up) but you do have to drink water with it. Another one that I have tried and I like is the Endurance Max Energy electrolyte gel. It comes in a flask and it is a watered down gel. It's not as thick and all you need is one sip every 15-20 minutes during a race. I've only had the strawberry one.
I'll be sure to let everyone know how the race goes!
Jenny
2009-05-16 8:33 PM

User image

Regular
Good luck tomorrow, Jenny!
2009-05-17 5:53 AM

User image

Expert
Good luck today Jenny!
Jackie-how was your race yesterday?

Edited by slow turtle 2009-05-17 5:54 AM

2009-05-18 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning ladies! I hope every one had a great weekend. Dee-How was your visit with your sister?

Jackie and Jenny- give us full race reports, please.

We are in the transition period of having my oldest back home for the summer. It usually takes a week or two to work out the kinks.

As far as a challenge for this week, I propose we repeat the core challenge from last week. It seems like several of us didn't really get settled into it. What does every one else think?

I'm home today with a sick K-gartener. I think it's allergies. They kept her up all night, and now she's exhausted.

-Heidi
2009-05-18 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2157097

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning everyone
Hope you all had a great weekend.   I had a complete day off from training yesterday whilst our friends were here although we did walk up a gorge with them so were pretty active.

My race on Saturday was fun.  Duathlons aren't as bad as I remembered from my bailed out triathlon experience.  I did OK (2nd in AG but not a huge field so probably sounds better than the reality).  The trail runs were hard.  The 1mile in the middle felt like it would never end.  I just was looking forward to getting back on my bike. I love the bike, it is my comfort zone (not literally though).

Jenny I hope everything went well for you and I can't wait to hear all about it.  Hopefully you are now relaxing for a couple of days with your feet up!

Heidi, yes I am in for some more core stuff.  Even if I only do my 5mins/day it is more than I usually do so it is all good.
2009-05-18 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2157533

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Jackie-
Awesome job at your race! That is great! I would love to try a duathlon someday.
Well, I did it! I ran the entire 13.1 miles (except the aid stations- THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for that advice!) and ended up finishing in 2:09, so around 9:53 min miles. It helped to think about the race as aid station to aid station instead of 13 miles. The race was a blast, and running around Lambeau Field was AMAZING! I would love to find out what my final mile time was, b/c I definetely picked it up on the way into the stadium and out the players' tunnel onto the field!
Everything held up on the race, my IT bands were ok (a little tight at the hip, but no pain at the knee) and my toes on my right foot cramped up bad but not enough to make me walk. But yesterday and today- WOW I AM SORE!!! Any suggestions on a recovery workout? I feel like if I do something light and easy it would make a HUGE difference. I am also going to do an ice bath at work. And I have been chugging water like a camel!

Jenny
2009-05-18 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2157850

User image

Expert
Jennifers - 2009-05-18 11:42 AM Jackie- Awesome job at your race! That is great! I would love to try a duathlon someday. Well, I did it! I ran the entire 13.1 miles (except the aid stations- THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for that advice!) and ended up finishing in 2:09, so around 9:53 min miles. It helped to think about the race as aid station to aid station instead of 13 miles. The race was a blast, and running around Lambeau Field was AMAZING! I would love to find out what my final mile time was, b/c I definetely picked it up on the way into the stadium and out the players' tunnel onto the field! Everything held up on the race, my IT bands were ok (a little tight at the hip, but no pain at the knee) and my toes on my right foot cramped up bad but not enough to make me walk. But yesterday and today- WOW I AM SORE!!! Any suggestions on a recovery workout? I feel like if I do something light and easy it would make a HUGE difference. I am also going to do an ice bath at work. And I have been chugging water like a camel! Jenny

Congratulations!!!
2009-05-18 1:06 PM

User image

Master
WTG Jenny and Jackie!!  Great racing!

Sorry you've got a ill one at home Heidi.

I had an awesome brick workout this AM -- I didn't have reservation for "playcare" for my son today and drop in only had 45 minutes for him.  So I hopped on the spinner and cranked out 20 mins followed by a quick 10mins on the treadie.  All felt great!  Quick shower and we were back out the door!

I'm still coughing but now on an inhaler and antibiotic.  Hopefully my time of incessant coughing is soon over!  I did sleep straight through last night - delightful!  and the temps are supposed to drop back to the 70s tomorrow, it was close to 100 both days this weekend - was still 87 last night at 9:30PM.  ugh!

now to get organized on the rest of the week...
-Cynthia

2009-05-18 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Jackie-I just saw your log entry from the race this weekend. That is a lot of transitions! Great job!
2009-05-18 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2157850

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Jenny, congratulations!  What a fantastic achievement and it sounds like a great day.

For recovery, try and keep the weight off your feet for a few days at least.   You could try a swim or easy spinning on bike to keep things moving and some stretching too.

My advice would be to complete your race report while it is all fresh.  It is really nice to be able to look back and read how you feel and did at future dates - and can be very useful for motivation and self-confidence if ever they waiver.

Enjoy a few relaxing days.  What's next?
2009-05-18 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Great racing this weekend! Enjoy the well-earned recovery time!
I like to do something easy to help recover- either an easy bike ride or a swim.
I usually chug alot of water after a race also, and I tend to eat more for a few days depending
on the distance.

It was SO GREAT to see my little sister. We camped for one night- had a huge campfire, ate burgers, then woke up to 30 degrees and fog/snow. So we decided to come back to town. We took my 8 yr old to see Star Trek, which was great!!!! She is pretty active also (we are planning a Grand Canyon trip for next spring) so we did a 30 minute trail run on Saturday, then on Sunday hiked 8-miles round trip to this massive waterfall in one of the canyons. I forgot to sunblock my shoulders so when I rolled up my sleeves all the way I wound up getting fried. Should be fun to put on a sports bra tomorrow - ouch!

On the gels, I think you need to experiment with different brands and flavors. I personally like Hammer Gels - any flavor except banana. Chug at least 6 ounces of water with each one so it doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth.

What's up for today and tomorrow?
I did a 40 minute walk/run with the jogger stroller today.
Tomorrow is a true brick workout: 45 minute bike plus 30 minute run.

Have a great day!
Dee
2009-05-18 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2158961

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
I decided to take it easy today. I hopped in the ice bath at work, and that seemed to help with the soreness. I got home from work and helped my husband clean out the storage space and start getting organized for this weekend. We are going camping Friday-Monday at Rock Island State Park. It is awesome- the whole island is the state park, and you can't bring vehicles or bikes on the island. We go there every year, and this is the second year we are headed up with a group of friends. Lots of trails for running and hiking, no bikes and definetely too cold to swim yet!
Here is my plan for the week:
Tuesday- Tri-Stroke swim class followed by an easy hour bike; soccer practice PM
Wednesday- 2 mile run AM; soccer game PM
Thursday- swim and bike AM
Friday- lift & bike or swim AM; leave PM for camping
Saturday-Monday- run/hike/small-sided soccer
I don't have any races planned until July 18. I wanted to take June off from racing to focus on training and preparing for my next two races, which are my "A" races for the summer. The July 18th race is the Door County Triathlon (sprint distance) and the other one is Chicago Triathlon on August 30th (also a sprint distance, at least for now).
I am planning on going to a open water swim clinic next month- which will help me out A LOT! I am also planning on training more with my Tri teams and with a couple friends (training for an Ironman, but I can hang with them for at least some of the workouts).
What does everyone else have planned for this week?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  

of 27