BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-02-03 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2652157

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water!
Got a long swim in this morning (3500 yards) and finally got a chance to run outside today at lunch.  The temperature was just perfect, not too cold and fairly sunny, so the time went pretty fast.  Tonight, I get on the trainer again.....

2010-02-03 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2559033

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Well... my knee is feeling better.  I'm pretty perplexed about the situation though.  My ITBS pain has always been in my hip.  This is the first time that I experienced pain in the lateral side of my knee and to such degree.  Then, after just four days, I have full range of motion back in my knee and without pain.  I'm confused at how I could have such severe pain that dissipated so rapidly.  I even went on a ride today and was pain free except for a little tightness in the hip.

I have a race on Saturday, but not going to make the decision until after I see the DC on Friday morning.  If it rains, I might cancel as well.

Sorry for the babbling post, I was kind of thinking out loud Undecided  Things have been kind of quiet around here; I hope everyone is getting in some quality, fun training!

2010-02-04 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2653300

Lexington, KY
Tim good to hear your knee is feeling better!! ahhh the the mystifying knee!! new pain then better in 4 days. That is weird, new pain on the lateral?? It seems like most have it in the front or inside??? Oh well, if it's feeling better. And, Tim, feel free to babble. Especially about stuff like this.
I did a spin class this AM. Was pretty good. Tough, and a little gaspy. It is what it is.
2010-02-04 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Tim - That is weird that it's feeling better so quickly. I had some bad ITBS pain last fall on the lateral side of my right knee (it's never bothered me in my hip), I actually went to the doctor because I thought I torn something. That stuff is no fun at all.

I got in a full hour run this morning, and for the first time since the beginning of the year my heel didn't pain me! I think it's getting better. Finally I'll have a week without any shortened run workouts!

Did a swim over lunch yesterday, followed by a yoga class full of arm balances after work. I basically didn't do any that put weight on my right shoulder (my bad shoulder from swimming) which made it a bit boring, but still some wonderful stretching.
2010-02-04 11:09 AM

User image

Las Vegas

Out on the road this week for the first time in a few weeks. Workouts have been tough to sneak in the first few days. Got spoiled with almost two months of not traveling. Not a single swim yet this week.Going to have to work hard next week when I am home. Good to see everyone is having some good workouts.

Mike, Lake Stevens may have been taken over by a family event the same weekend in another part of the country. So I am a bit bummed. Looking for my new "A" race around the same time frame. May revisit doing Calgary.Hope everyone has a great week.

2010-02-04 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
looks like everyone is hanging in there pretty well.  Tim - glad to see your leg is feeling better so quickly!  i will run another 5k tonight and see how this knee feels. . I am SO glad it only bugs me when I run. 

2010-02-05 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Good to see everyone's training is going well and everyone is more or less injury free. I haven't done too much this week. Its been extremely hot a I've been working a bit in the mornings and nights when it is cool enough to do stuff. Long bike (2hrs) tomorrow and a 60min run in the arvo with some intervals. Might turn it into a brick, maybe. Sunday is short ride/long run brick.

Just going back to the long slow distance vs short intense thing. I agree with what the others said - it depends on the distance/what period you are in. In base, I built up to 3 hours, intending on doing an Oly tri. However, I didn't register in time, and now its full, so I've cut my longest rides back to 2 hours now. Even then, I'll try to push the pace a bit.

Keep up the good work everyone!
2010-02-05 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Good to see you back Stuart!  it can be tough to workout when it gets hot, this summer it was deathly hot (for Seattle) here - a few miles from my work, one day it was 107F!  usually the summers here are 80-85F and anything above that, everybody freaks out. 

On a side note, do you ever eat Kangaroo?  I had it one time, and i thought it was quite delicious! 
2010-02-05 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Hi all.  Knee/hip is feeling better this week.  Almost a week without running though.  I was planning on an off-road duathlon tomorrow, but the DC squashed those plans.  I had another ART session today.  Damn, this one hurt more than the others.  Even after two weeks of religously rolling and stretching, she said my hip flexors and ITB are still extremely tightFrown  Pretty frustrating, when you think you are making progress.

At least I got the OK to continue cycling and swimming....
2010-02-05 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

Got in a bike this morning and then a swim over lunch.  I learned an important lesson about packing enough food for my lunch at work after the lunch time swim.  Since I was still starving after my pbj, fresh mango and veggie wheat thins, I wandered into the kitchen and, after some foraging, found an unclaimed single serving size popcorn. I then managed to burn said popcorn in the ghetto microwave, causing the entire office to smell like popcorn.  Not only was I still hungry, but had to spend the entire afternoon tormented by the smell of delicious buttery popcorn.

2010-02-05 10:01 PM

User image

Las Vegas
Well lucked out and got home early from my work trip. So I got off the plane and headed to the pool and got in a 3100 workout. Rainy weekend here in Vegas for my long days though.

Edited by bjb92550 2010-02-06 10:10 AM

2010-02-06 10:26 AM

Lexington, KY
Mechechick...good job on the workouts. The popcorn thing was funny!!

bjb way to take advantage of time opportunities

I went on a 7 mile run this morning. The longest I've done in a while. Felt good and tried to keep it at a moderate non huffing and puffing pace.......Hhhhmmm.......there's a half marathon the same day as the first tri I was going to do. This wil be the first half marathon that Lexington has ever had. I might do it.  It's on march 28. I'll make my decision by march 1, so I can see how the running is actually going.  We'll see. No commitments yet.
2010-02-07 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
As I sit here watching the superbowl, I am wondering if I can handle yet another 2 hours on the trainer this evening.  I intended to ride outside today, but the snowfall here in Denver had other ideas for me.  I know that I need to build up the time on the trainer for IM distances, but it is so flipping boring......
2010-02-08 1:57 AM

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
Oh man, my own personal knee update:  I had some MCL pain that has persisted since the beginning of january, and I think I'm starting to see the tail-end of it now.  My secret: 2 days of upper body strength training/pull-only in the pool, followed by a day of rest, having ibuprofen on-board 24hrs daily, following up with a day of snowboarding.  I think the evil knee spirits are whisping away!

BTW, just for the fun of useless information: I work at the ER in Bellevue, WA, and it was dead slow today before/during the superbowl.  Just afterward, it instantly got busy. I bet all of you can come up with a logical reason why that is :D
2010-02-08 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2660576

User image

Veteran
Denver

Just couldn't make myself get back on the trainer yesterday, but I did get a nice 1.5 mile swim in today at lunch and I actually got the distance done in the time that my training plan listed that I should get it done by......tonight I will be back on the trainer for 90 minutes....man I can't wait for nicer weather and longer days so I can get outside to do this.

2010-02-09 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

Lance -  I know what you mean, things have been pretty dry this winter and I keep getting my hopes up that I'll be able to ride outside over the weekend and then a storm hits!

I had pretty worthless workouts yesterday, I definitely over did it this weekend.  And now I think I might be coming down with an upper respiratory/sinus thing that's been making it's way through my office.  Hopefully I can fight it off quickly!!

2010-02-09 3:49 PM

Lexington, KY
Okay...I ran the longest Ive run in years on saturday.....now I'm the most sore I've been in years!!!! wow. Just starting to get back to normal. Maybe I'll do 5 miles next time. Might try to hit the pool after work. I almost never workout after work, but feel guilty about not getting much in this week. We'll see. Hope everyone is doing good.

Oh yeah.. tried out the old ice bath after my run...again wow. I think I'll just fill the tub with cold water and not add ANY ice next time. I only added three glasses full. I lasted about 7 minutes.
Thoughts on Ice baths?
2010-02-09 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Nice job on the long run!  I think ice baths seem to work. . i haven't really done enough, or enough 'long runs' to tell.  I took one after my 18 miler and 20 miler while marathon training. . I didn't take one after the actual marathon though, but i can't really compare soreness after a race to soreness after training.  they sure are painful at first though!
2010-02-09 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2664420

User image

Veteran
Denver
I did an ice bath after my HIM last year, and I will say this.....it was hard to tolerate at first, but the next day I was not nearly as sore as I expected to be, and considering how much I was cramping during the race, that is a small miracle.  You don't need to do ice, a simple tub full of cold water works pretty well too. 

I managed about 6.7 miles today (indoor track) in just under an hour...I was shocked when I logged it and came in under a 9 minute pace.  My fitness on all 3 sports is starting to take shape, which will be nice later this season......
2010-02-11 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
went to a sports medicine doctor yesterday - he checked out my knee, and it looks like the only real soreness I have is in my Tibia - he thought maybe stress fracture, but x-rays didn't show anything.  Seems weird, my  knee just happened to NOT hurt yesterday, but it's on and off.  For example, it started hurting while I was driving last night (pushing in the clutch) ??  Anyways, I am just going to try and take it easy and minimize impacts. . I guess I shouldn't jump so much stuff when i go skiing
2010-02-11 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: Time v. Distance in training programs

But where’s the fun in not jumping off things??

Got in a long swim over lunch yesterday, probably the longest continuous swim I’ve ever done and I was able to stay focused enough to count through the whole thing, a big deal for someone who regularly screws up counting a 200! Anyway, I’ve never been worried about the distance for my HIM, but yesterday made me realize I could actually make my swim time goal, pretty exciting!

Quick question for everybody.  If a training program gives both a time and a distance for a workout and you consistently finish the distance in less time, would you adjust the distance up to hit the workout times?  Granted the distances are still far under the race distance.

2010-02-11 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2667969

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: Time v. Distance in training programs
MechEChick - 2010-02-11 9:31 AM

But where’s the fun in not jumping off things??

Got in a long swim over lunch yesterday, probably the longest continuous swim I’ve ever done and I was able to stay focused enough to count through the whole thing, a big deal for someone who regularly screws up counting a 200! Anyway, I’ve never been worried about the distance for my HIM, but yesterday made me realize I could actually make my swim time goal, pretty exciting!

Quick question for everybody.  If a training program gives both a time and a distance for a workout and you consistently finish the distance in less time, would you adjust the distance up to hit the workout times?  Granted the distances are still far under the race distance.

Exactly, I love to jump off stuff

For Bike, I usually go with time (when I was using a plan)
For Swim, I go with distance
For Run. . I think I went by time when I had a plan, now I do distance. 
2010-02-11 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2667715

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
ultrahip_00 - 2010-02-11 7:49 AM went to a sports medicine doctor yesterday - he checked out my knee, and it looks like the only real soreness I have is in my Tibia - he thought maybe stress fracture, but x-rays didn't show anything.  Seems weird, my  knee just happened to NOT hurt yesterday, but it's on and off.  For example, it started hurting while I was driving last night (pushing in the clutch) ??  Anyways, I am just going to try and take it easy and minimize impacts. . I guess I shouldn't jump so much stuff when i go skiing

Mike, not sure where your pain is located, but I would get sore after driving my motorhome.  I think my problem is/was IT band related.  Is the pain on the outside of the knee and lateral side of the tibia?
2010-02-11 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
So damn frustrated!  DC gives me the OK to start getting back into my running yesterday.   So, I decide to hold off a little longer on the run, to be cautious, and go for a bike ride instead.  Ride feels good, then I get into a serious climb and my IT band starts to cause me pain at the knee.  I frickin' give up.  This is driving me crazy!  As of right now, I feel my whole 2010 season is in jeopardy!  ... End of rant....
2010-02-12 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Hang in there Tim, I hear your frustration. . seems that everyone goes through the aches/pains and injuries at some point. .

my pain is on the inside of my knee, my knee hurts from time to time, but the location where the doc pressed that hurted is aboout and inch below my knee cap, and towards the inside a little bit.  I don't think its ITB related. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water! Rss Feed  

of 15