BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-02-01 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2647040

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
sesh - 2010-02-01 10:01 AM

And in other news... I'm gonna be the race director for a mini-sprint/beginner triathlon that our tri club hosts each May.  I'm not entirely sure I know what I just got myself into.

That sounds exciting.  When is the race?  Do you have notes from last years race to help plan?  Do you have to get approvals for road closures, lake permits, and such?  That seems like it would be the hardest to coordinate, but how fun to see something like that come to fruition.

So, is it just the 3 of us now?  Where's YouYou?

2010-02-02 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2648690

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

karen26.2 - 2010-02-01 7:12 PM
sesh - 2010-02-01 10:01 AM

And in other news... I'm gonna be the race director for a mini-sprint/beginner triathlon that our tri club hosts each May.  I'm not entirely sure I know what I just got myself into.

That sounds exciting.  When is the race?  Do you have notes from last years race to help plan?  Do you have to get approvals for road closures, lake permits, and such?  That seems like it would be the hardest to coordinate, but how fun to see something like that come to fruition.

So, is it just the 3 of us now?  Where's YouYou?

It's either May 15th or May 22nd.  We have to go through the home owners association of the place where we host it, and we won't get approval until Feb. 15th.  They guy who did it last year is moving to Colorado and I'm having a hard time getting in touch with him to get all his stuff.  That'll be what I need as far as Sheriffs departments, water safety, etc.  I've got timing companies and transition set up companies contacted and tentatively scheduled for each date.  T-shirt and a sock company contacted for the schwag.  The owner of All3Sports now is actually from Starkville, MS (90 miles north of Jackson), and she's said she wants to help our club out.  I've tried to contact her, but no dice so far.  I was hoping to have something like the "All3Sports First Time Finishers Tent" and give out race belts to all the rookies.  One of our members is a contractor and because we've had such a cool fall, he's got something like 2,000 gallons of left over Gatorade that he's donating.  Fleet Feet is hosting our packet pick-up and doing a 12 week beginner training program.

Sheesh... good news is I've already had a lot of people volunteer to help out.

And to top it all off, if it's on the 15th then I won't even be in town for the race, but I do have a guy who has volunteered to be the race day go to guy.

Edited by sesh 2010-02-02 8:37 AM
2010-02-03 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
This is getting sad - we're dropping like flies.  Maybe we should all pitch in for a new computer for Rochelle so she can get back on here.

Hope everyone has a great day today!!!
2010-02-03 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2651659

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-02-03 6:54 AM This is getting sad - we're dropping like flies.  Maybe we should all pitch in for a new computer for Rochelle so she can get back on here.

Haha, I know.  This is the only outlet I have to talk about this stuff.  None of my friends or family have ever really cared much for running and they certainly don't want to talk about biking and swimming.  The most common response to anything is "why the **** would you want to do something like that?"  Even if its just two of you, I need somebody, because I admittedly know nothing.
2010-02-03 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

So what's on tap for today?  I flipped my brick and ran before riding today.  Only did a two miler as I'm geeking out every time the slightest heel pain shows up.  Last thing I want is for the PF to come back strong, so I'm easing back into it.  Did a spin on the trainer, watched some Weeds, and now I'm sitting at work, downing the coffee, and finding excuses to not be productive.

2010-02-03 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2651880

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-02-03 8:36 AM

So what's on tap for today?  I flipped my brick and ran before riding today.  Only did a two miler as I'm geeking out every time the slightest heel pain shows up.  Last thing I want is for the PF to come back strong, so I'm easing back into it.  Did a spin on the trainer, watched some Weeds, and now I'm sitting at work, downing the coffee, and finding excuses to not be productive.

I cycled last night, got 2 whole hours of sleep, swam 1500 this morning - no swim coach, so the beginner lane was nothing less than mass chaos.  I finally just got out as I was not getting anything from the workout.  Will head to the gym tonight for a lifting session and core work.

As for not being productive, I'm with you.  I just got a write-up back from one of my 6 bosses (not quite the "Office Space" 8, but you get the picture), and on one of the pages I had a rather large chart at the end of one section.  I skipped two lines and started the next section.  In the space between the two lines was the comment "ELIMINATE THE SPACE !!!!"  4 exclamation points? really?  I understand the gravity of what I do and where this report is going, but c'mon. 

2010-02-03 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I'm lucky in that I only have one boss, and he's pretty cool.  He also acts as a good buffer between the bank head honchos and our department (which is all of four people). 

What's weird for us is that we're the bad news guys.  We point out all the problems, show all the asset quality ratios, stuff like that.  Two years ago, they'd pretty much just take our reports, glance at them, and throw them away.  Now, as things in the economy pretty much went up s*** creek, all of sudden everything we put out there is questioned down to the last detail.

2010-02-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2652060

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-02-03 9:36 AM

I'm lucky in that I only have one boss, and he's pretty cool.  He also acts as a good buffer between the bank head honchos and our department (which is all of four people). 

What's weird for us is that we're the bad news guys.  We point out all the problems, show all the asset quality ratios, stuff like that.  Two years ago, they'd pretty much just take our reports, glance at them, and throw them away.  Now, as things in the economy pretty much went up s*** creek, all of sudden everything we put out there is questioned down to the last detail.

All too true.  I'm officially looking, I don't care where, just not here.  I think the only way for me to move up is for me to move out.  I'm no longer learning much here outside of what I do on my own, so I kindof think thats a signal for me to "explore other options"  Crappy job market though, I'm still going to look.  Thank God for training!
2010-02-03 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2651809

New user

Houston
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-03 8:10 AM
karen26.2 - 2010-02-03 6:54 AM This is getting sad - we're dropping like flies.  Maybe we should all pitch in for a new computer for Rochelle so she can get back on here.

Haha, I know.  This is the only outlet I have to talk about this stuff.  None of my friends or family have ever really cared much for running and they certainly don't want to talk about biking and swimming.  The most common response to anything is "why the **** would you want to do something like that?"  Even if its just two of you, I need somebody, because I admittedly know nothing.

I'm here too.  Sorry to just be lurking and not contributing.  Love the swim talk, Karen.  Will post more soon.
2010-02-03 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2652103

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-03 9:44 AM
sesh - 2010-02-03 9:36 AM

All too true.  I'm officially looking, I don't care where, just not here.  I think the only way for me to move up is for me to move out.  I'm no longer learning much here outside of what I do on my own, so I kindof think thats a signal for me to "explore other options"  Crappy job market though, I'm still going to look.  Thank God for training!

Every year I seem to flirt with the idea of going back and getting a Phd in Economics.  Not quite in a spot where that is an option, but not so far gone that it'll never happen.

2010-02-03 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Office Space - did someone mention Office Space?  I love that movie, it gets better and better the more you watch it.

"Ah yah, I'm going to need you to come in Saturday and Sunday..."

"Did you get the memo on the TPX Reports?"

So today before work I did weights for 30 minutes, went to spin class for an hour, and then ran for 15 minutes.  Tomorrow morning is master's swimming, then either spin or run after work.

2010-02-03 9:36 PM

On the road again this week so not training today. Hoping to get a good swim in tomorrow after work. I'm starting to get comfortable in the water again and hate lose momentum. Looking forward to some good weather to get the bike off the trainer and outside!
2010-02-04 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Two hours on the trainer this morning .

While riding, I watched Interview with the Vampire for the first time in a long, long time.  I had forgotten how much I liked that movie.  Made the time go by pretty quickly.

Edited by sesh 2010-02-04 1:23 PM
2010-02-05 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2653331

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-02-03 4:47 PM Office Space - did someone mention Office Space?  I love that movie, it gets better and better the more you watch it.

"Ah yah, I'm going to need you to come in Saturday and Sunday..."

"Did you get the memo on the TPX Reports?"

So today before work I did weights for 30 minutes, went to spin class for an hour, and then ran for 15 minutes.  Tomorrow morning is master's swimming, then either spin or run after work.

Karen, that movie got me through some tough times in college.  I could go quote for quote with you all day   Easily my most watched movie! I'm well into the triple digits.

Edited by GorgeousGeorge 2010-02-05 8:35 AM
2010-02-05 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2655262

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-02-04 1:22 PM

While riding, I watched Interview with the Vampire for the first time in a long, long time.  I had forgotten how much I liked that movie.  Made the time go by pretty quickly.

Awesome movie!  I had the same revelation you did a couple of months ago.  How could I have forgotten such a classic?!  

Good to see we Scott and Vic still lurking around. 

I swam 1800 with with the masters class this morning.  Coach had me working on longer intervals trying to build some endurance.  Also worked on pulling with my lats.  I really think my stroke is not that bad.  Nothing is good, but the worst is definitely my legs.  They are worthless.  I swear the things sink even with a pull bouy.  The coach said that my ankles have NO flexibility and that my lower body won't get better until I get my feet flexed out.  Ugghhhhh!!!  Such a humbling, frustrating, addictive sport!
2010-02-05 9:00 AM

New user

Houston
Killer workout last night.  It was one of those where at the end you think, "Did I just do that?"

15min WU on bike
12min Zone 4
run 2 miles
10min Zone 4
run 1 mile
8 min HIGH Zone 4
run 1 mile
15 min WD

I know it may not sound tough to some but for me...well, it was at test of my fitness and a very challenging workout.  I love it when you leave a workout with that satisfaction that you accomplished something.  That you really did something you didn't think you could do.  It was fun.

Low Fat Choc milk for recovery and then early to bed.

Oh, btw, I broke through the 100 pounds lost mark this week.  It felt good.

2010-02-05 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2656674

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
vickaiser - 2010-02-05 9:00 AM Killer workout last night.  It was one of those where at the end you think, "Did I just do that?"

15min WU on bike
12min Zone 4
run 2 miles
10min Zone 4
run 1 mile
8 min HIGH Zone 4
run 1 mile
15 min WD

I know it may not sound tough to some but for me...well, it was at test of my fitness and a very challenging workout.  I love it when you leave a workout with that satisfaction that you accomplished something.  That you really did something you didn't think you could do.  It was fun.

Wow!  Impressive Vic!  Mmmmm, Chocolate Milk.....
2010-02-05 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

vickaiser - 2010-02-05 9:00 AM Killer workout last night.  It was one of those where at the end you think, "Did I just do that?"

15min WU on bike
12min Zone 4
run 2 miles
10min Zone 4
run 1 mile
8 min HIGH Zone 4
run 1 mile
15 min WD

Nice!  That's some pretty awesome weight loss...

which sort of makes me feel guilty about what's coming up this weekend...

I gotta get something good in tomorrow morning, and maybe finally do a decent run on Sunday morning.  Because Sunday afternoon I'm gonna do about a month's worth of damage to my fitness level with beer and Superbowl food.  I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that the Saints are actually there.  Seems kinda surreal.  All I know is I'm gonna enjoy it.  I'm gonna enjoy it way, way too much.

2010-02-05 6:44 PM

User image

Mammoth Lakes
I'M BACK!!!
Hey check out my brand new sparkling computer....pretty nifty huh?  that took a bitt longer than I thought it would.  I was expecting it to come in on Monday...and it came in on Thursday.  -not quite the same thing huh.

lots of things happening with you guys... plantar fasciitis, race directing, swim lessons by Sesh, I will spend a bit of time tonight catching up and posting the back log on the HR stuff.

Until then.. Sesh, do you have a recomened warmup routine including swimming and drills for about 400yds?

2010-02-05 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Cool, you're back.  Once you get settled, let me know so we can get down to business!  =)

I have some questions on the HR test and the formula used to get zones vs. a LT HR test and those zones.  I'm soooooo confused.

Yes, Sesh has done an excellent job on swimming advice.  And we have tried to keep this thread rolling and done a pretty good I think.

Glad you have a computer and are back.  How's the new coach and training going?
2010-02-05 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2656646

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-05 9:51 AM

Awesome movie!  I had the same revelation you did a couple of months ago.  How could I have forgotten such a classic?!  

I swam 1800 with with the masters class this morning.  Coach had me working on longer intervals trying to build some endurance.  Also worked on pulling with my lats.  I really think my stroke is not that bad.  Nothing is good, but the worst is definitely my legs.  They are worthless.  I swear the things sink even with a pull bouy.  The coach said that my ankles have NO flexibility and that my lower body won't get better until I get my feet flexed out.  Ugghhhhh!!!  Such a humbling, frustrating, addictive sport!

1800 yards - good for you!  Keep at it, you're doing great.

Now how do you know if you're pulling with your lats vs. shoulders?  I can't tell what muscles I'm using, but I wish I could.  I have read that ankle flexibility does play a huge role, but in what way?  I'm not flexible at all, is that why my kick is so horrible?

2010-02-05 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
vickaiser - 2010-02-05 10:00 AM Killer workout last night.  It was one of those where at the end you think, "Did I just do that?"

15min WU on bike
12min Zone 4
run 2 miles
10min Zone 4
run 1 mile
8 min HIGH Zone 4
run 1 mile
15 min WD

That sounds like a pretty tough workout to me.  I'd be done mid way through I think.  And congrats on the weight loss, that's incredible.
2010-02-05 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2657994

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

wyldhair - 2010-02-05 6:44 PM I'M BACK!!!
Hey check out my brand new sparkling computer....pretty nifty huh?  that took a bitt longer than I thought it would.  I was expecting it to come in on Monday...and it came in on Thursday.  -not quite the same thing huh.

lots of things happening with you guys... plantar fasciitis, race directing, swim lessons by Sesh, I will spend a bit of time tonight catching up and posting the back log on the HR stuff.

Until then.. Sesh, do you have a recomened warmup routine including swimming and drills for about 400yds?

Hmm... a typical warmup for me would have been about 500 yds of ez free, a little back stroke, maybe some ez dolphin kicks, really just anything to wake me up, get accustomed to the water temp, and get the blood flowing.  Then I'd do my drills.  Maybe something like 100 single arm, 100 catch up, 100 finger tip, 100 pull and glide.  I think that would be pretty good for a little pull work.  Some days I'd do 100 free kick, 100 side kicks, 100 dolphin kicks, 100 back kicks.  Some days you do both

The catch up and finger tip drills I really like a lot.  I guess you could say they are sort of like my swimming chiropractor or something.  They usually get me straightened out.

2010-02-05 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2658032

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

karen26.2 - 2010-02-05 7:07 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-05 9:51 AM

1800 yards - good for you!  Keep at it, you're doing great.

Now how do you know if you're pulling with your lats vs. shoulders?  I can't tell what muscles I'm using, but I wish I could.  I have read that ankle flexibility does play a huge role, but in what way?  I'm not flexible at all, is that why my kick is so horrible?

Ooh! Ankle flexibility and why it's important!

You ever done super mans?  Where you lay on the ground on your stomach and lift your legs and upper body up.  Good lower back core exercise.  Anyway do basically the same thing but move only one leg.  First do it with a pointed toe, then with your toes pulled in.  See which way is easier to do with out bending the knee (it should be a lot easier with pointed toes).  And there you have it!  Bad flexibility in the ankles makes it much, much more difficult to keep straight legs... and bent legs make your back end sink, which makes you have to kick harder, which burns more oxygen, which wears you the heck out.

2010-02-05 7:36 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well, I just finished making the holy trinity.  That would be onions, celery, and green pepper as it pertains to creole cooking in case you were wondering.  The beans are soaking and I'll be ready to make a big pot of red beans and rice tomorrow.  It's actually to eat during the Superbowl, but here's a tip if you ever make homemade red beans and rice... make the "goop" a day early and refrigerate it.  Add just a little water and reheat it the next day before you serve it.  Something about the flavors soaking in for that extra day just makes it so much better.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17