BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-25 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2769357

Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
Decided to try out fitday for logging food.  OMG...what an eye opener...I can't believe how many calories I took in today!  I would have rated today as not too bad, not great but not horrible but guess what?  It was horrible.  I had no idea how revealing this would be and its only the 1ST DAY!  I'm like ashamed to look at it but its a good visual for me no matter how much it hurts.  Besides, it can't hurt worse than not being able to find a single, cute race picture to put with my bib number as a memento of the first 5k!

May goal food wise....CUT OUT THE COKE!  I love it but damn, its not doing anything for me. 

Revising my other goals and putting nutrition at the top of the list...I need to think fuel, not taste.

Ronda

2010-04-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2814170

Veteran

Great job Justin. 

2010-04-26 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2815836

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Swimfreak17 - 2010-04-25 7:06
May goal food wise....CUT OUT THE COKE!  I love it but damn, its not doing anything for me. 

Ronda,

I really hope you are refering to Coca-Cola, not the other coke.  Because if its the white, powdery stuff I think you are on the wrong message boards. Laughing
2010-04-26 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Swimfreak17 - 2010-04-25 10:06 PM Decided to try out fitday for logging food.  OMG...what an eye opener...I can't believe how many calories I took in today!  I would have rated today as not too bad, not great but not horrible but guess what?  It was horrible.  I had no idea how revealing this would be and its only the 1ST DAY!  I'm like ashamed to look at it but its a good visual for me no matter how much it hurts.  Besides, it can't hurt worse than not being able to find a single, cute race picture to put with my bib number as a memento of the first 5k!

Revising my other goals and putting nutrition at the top of the list...I need to think fuel, not taste.

Ronda

Ronda, Nutrition logs can be a pretty serious reality check, that's why I love them, they keep you honest!  Keep it up for at least 2 weeks, then you can get a grasp on everything you are consuming and can go by feel.  Congrats on the Race this weekend!
2010-04-26 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2816668

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-26 10:59 AM

Ronda,

I really hope you are refering to Coca-Cola, not the other coke.  Because if its the white, powdery stuff I think you are on the wrong message boards. Laughing

I initally thought the same thing!  HA!  I hear it is a tremendous catalyst for weight loss though! 
2010-04-26 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2816668

n.k - 2010-04-26 9:59 AM

Ronda,

I guess there're both bad but is it wrong to think that at least if it was the white powdery kind, at least I'd be skinny and have lots of energy?Laughing

2010-04-26 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2812719

Veteran

mchubri` - 2010-04-23 2:49 PM
n.k - 2010-04-23 1:56 PM
mchubri` - 2010-04-23 7:31 AM

Intervals: I don't really know what I should be doing for these.  On my run, I was just going fast for a 1/2 mile and very slow for the other half and repeating.  Does that seem right? Exactly!  Do I just do them on my run, or should I be incorporating them into my swim and bike as well? Incorporate into all.

Noel, take this with a grain of salt as I am new to tri.
what helped me a lot last year when I was only running was mixing up the training.  After running for several months slow and steady, I began to run 3 times a week, one interval/hill session (alternating every week), one tempo run and one long run.  I rarely managed to get a 4th short recovery run.   Not only did it help me with my pace, it took the boredom out of long run sessions and was also the time where I lost the most weight.  I went on McMillan running calculator to figure out my paces for my training.  You are already doing 1/2 mile intervals and you can extend that to different distances/effort combination.  Just type in a

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm  Just type in a recent race time

I unfortunately slacked completely over winter and it's been tough getting back to my normal running pace.  I was finally able to do a 6 mile run on Z2 last week so that shows my base finally improved.

This does bring up 2 questions for all of you.  I am finishing a 12 week beginner sprint training which I did 65-70%.  I am looking into another sprint training that aims to improve my time (I am assuming harder sessions).  I feel like I can do it, what is the criteria to jump into a different training program?  I was once told that I should focus on my base since I was new.

The other question is regarding interval training.  I think I understand the logic for running but when it comes to tri, do you also do interval/tempo/long session for all swim/bike/run = 9 sessions per week?  How do you make sure you balance that?

2010-04-26 10:16 AM

Ha Ha Brian, I hadn't read your response yet, I had the same thought!  It would be ackward tho if it was the white powder coke with the dh being a cop and all...prolly a conflict of interest.

Ok the nutrition log was a definite wake up call.  I was off by almost a 1000 calories in my guess about how much I had consumed.  That just shows how skewed my outlook is.  Today I measured my breakfast cereal out and another wow moment.  Special K is not so bad for you in the proper portions but looking at the measured out amount, before when I just poured, I was prolly eating 3-4 servings.  I was just filling the bowl with cereal and adding milk. 

The mud run was fun in so many ways...the obstacles weren't as bad as I thought and the mud wasn't the icky, thick stuff I was afraid it was going to be.  The fastest guy did it in 18 minutes!!!  There was some waiting at some obstacles but it was a nice break to me.  I jogged and walked it, the parts through a field were kinda hard as I have not jogged off road before so I spent a lot of time looking at the ground, the uneveness made me a little wary.  By the 2nd mile, I was a little more comfortable and not so worried about tripping over the variances in the ground.  I jogged the last 1/2 mile in to the finish and passed a lot of people who were walking in.  My husband actually missed the finish picture because he didn't expect me to come in running.  The obstacles were low walls that you could just put one leg over and then hop over, the pits you had to crawl on your hands and knees thru the mud under flags to the other side, tire obstacles you had to run in, and more mud!!!  My kid did the 1/2 mile and whipped thru it, I was proud, she's only 4 and it didn't even faze her!  She wants to do it again next year!

Thanks for the inspires guys!

Have a good Monday.

Ronda

2010-04-26 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Check-in
Hello everyone-
Just thought I'd check in.  Did the Akron U Sprint yesterday.  Did OK Versus my expectations.  For my first two tris the bike have been stationary.  I cannot waite to get back on my roadbike.  the stationaries are not for me.  i almost have my road bike ready.  Adding aeros this week and starting to train on it when the rain lets up here in Ohio.

Here are my results. 

Swim 500 yd - 10:38
T1                     1:01
Bike 12 miles - 32:15
T2                       :14
Run 3.1 miles   32:27

Next tri - May 16th - Youngstown YMCA Sprint

Has anyone used one of the BT coaches?
I want to start taking my fitness and training to the next level and need help.  Any comment on the use of a coach would be helpful.
Thanks
Tom

Edited by Tkimble01 2010-04-26 1:07 PM
2010-04-26 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2816698

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Chezz - 2010-04-26 11:08 AM

what helped me a lot last year when I was only running was mixing up the training.  After running for several months slow and steady, I began to run 3 times a week, one interval/hill session (alternating every week), one tempo run and one long run.  I rarely managed to get a 4th short recovery run.   Not only did it help me with my pace, it took the boredom out of long run sessions and was also the time where I lost the most weight. 

This is EXACTLY what I did to train for my 1/2 marathon this winter.  Took 1:30 off my anticipated pace, 20 min off my anticipated finish time and 25lbs of fat off my gut!    I am a HUGE proponent/Beleiver of 1 interval, 1 tempo, 1 long. 
I also can now put in long runs at Z2-3 where before If I was running I was in Z4-5, I'd have to walk to be in Z2-3. 
2010-04-26 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2816698

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Chezz - 2010-04-26 11:08 AM

This does bring up 2 questions for all of you.  I am finishing a 12 week beginner sprint training which I did 65-70%.  I am looking into another sprint training that aims to improve my time (I am assuming harder sessions).  I feel like I can do it, what is the criteria to jump into a different training program?  I was once told that I should focus on my base since I was new. I say if you can do it, go for it!

The other question is regarding interval training.  I think I understand the logic for running but when it comes to tri, do you also do interval/tempo/long session for all swim/bike/run = 9 sessions per week?  How do you make sure you balance that? Not really sure, that's why I try to pick a plan that has these workouts incorporated in them and then trust the plan and follow it as closely as possible.  

2010-04-26 11:55 PM

Day 2 of food logging....so much better...I hopefully figured out my bmr from a webstite and then figured out how many calories I could eat and lose a lb a week...I'm right on target for today.  Now, hopefully, I have the correct bmr and I'll lose some weight!

Ronda
2010-04-27 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran

Quick Update:

I've been having a lot of problems with food...I'd been trying to eat healthier,but was getting hungrier and hungrier. This of course led to LOTS of overeating!  I realized that I was definitely NOT eating enough for the amount of working out I've been doing.  This past weekend, I sat down and figured out how much I should be eating and planned out my menu's.  After grocery shopping, I divided out all of my food for the week! 

My goals are to hit my calorie target daily.  I'm also going to listen to my body better...If after hitting my calorie target, I'm still starving like I have been, I'll eat healthy snacks (which I've also pre-portioned and have on standby) so that I won't pig out!  I've also got GU's stored all over the place so that I have a quick pick me up if I forget to eat before I go to the gym.  I also want to make sure I'm logging the calories and how I'm feeling!

As for swimming, I'm slowly but surely getting better.  I have decided that I like swimming with a nose clip and plan to continue using it.  For some reason, I can't figure out how to NOT breath through my nose and I'm tired of snorting the whole pool every time I go for a swim!

I've had two issue with my swimming...any advice would be great!!  First, I'm having issues with water in my ears.  I have Swim-Ear, but it's not really working.  Anyone have any ideas on how to keep this from happening???  Secondly, my ankles are really stiff and a little sore.  Any ideas on how to strengthen or stretch?  Thanks!

I'm also going to log all of my food and monitor how I'm feeling.  I really want to lose weight, but I don't want my training suffer because I'm so hungry. 

2010-04-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2819699

User image

Expert
C-bus
crisi13 - 2010-04-27 12:09 PM

I've had two issue with my swimming...any advice would be great!!  First, I'm having issues with water in my ears.  I have Swim-Ear, but it's not really working.  Anyone have any ideas on how to keep this from happening???  Secondly, my ankles are really stiff and a little sore.  Any ideas on how to strengthen or stretch?  Thanks!

I have had a perforated eardrum since I was about 8.  I'm finally got fed up with water in my ears for days after my swim, so I purchased some real earplugs (not the silicone putty).  Here's what I found...

Mack's Aqua Block -little silicone plugs... soft, comfy, quiet!!!  So far, so good. Can be found at certain Wal-Marts.  Do a quick search before you go to your local store-only certain stores carry it.

Speedo also has a silicone plug.  Have not used it yet.  Does not seem as flexible as Mack's.  Found these at Sports Authority.

Each were about $5.  I have not had any water issues since I purchased these.  I'm in heaven!

As for your ankles, I wish I could help!

2010-04-27 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Training Program

Does anyone here use the BT training programs?  if so what level (bronze, silver, gold or nutrition).  If so how have you like it?
Thanks
Tom

2010-04-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2820081

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Training Program

Edited by crisi13 2010-04-27 1:31 PM

2010-04-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2820081

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Training Program
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-27 1:55 PM

Does anyone here use the BT training programs?  if so what level (bronze, silver, gold or nutrition).  If so how have you like it?
Thanks
Tom

I use the silver plans.  I like it because it's so simple and it allows me to mix and match.  I use a sprint swim plan, an Ironman bike plan and a HIM run plan.  (I'm doing a Sprint Triathlon, Century Bike Ride, and a half Marathon this year)!

Edited by crisi13 2010-04-27 1:30 PM
2010-04-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2819898

User image

Veteran
sungirl919 - 2010-04-27 12:59 PM
crisi13 - 2010-04-27 12:09 PM

I have had a perforated eardrum since I was about 8.  I'm finally got fed up with water in my ears for days after my swim, so I purchased some real earplugs (not the silicone putty).  Here's what I found...

Mack's Aqua Block -little silicone plugs... soft, comfy, quiet!!!  So far, so good. Can be found at certain Wal-Marts.  Do a quick search before you go to your local store-only certain stores carry it.

Speedo also has a silicone plug.  Have not used it yet.  Does not seem as flexible as Mack's.  Found these at Sports Authority.

Each were about $5.  I have not had any water issues since I purchased these.  I'm in heaven!

As for your ankles, I wish I could help!

Thanks, I'll try that!!!  I have to  do something...it's driving me nuts!
2010-04-27 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

Chrissy,   Keep at the nutrition, it may take a few weeks but you will hone it in.  It is good to listen to your body and make healthy decisions when feeling hungry.  Make sure to include foods high in fiber into your diet.  They will keep you satiated longer.  I've also read in a few different places that people who start the day with a Protein rich breakfast feel fuller and eat less throught the day.  I'm an egg-white guy so I can attest to that! 

I've gotten leg cramps during swimming, but never ankle soreness.  Are you still working with that coach, have you asked them about stretching pre-post workouts? 

Tom, I am a Silver member, or will be for at least the next 12 days.  I plan on renewing after that point.  I am about to start a HIM plan I got from here.  I've completely reorganized the workouts to fit my schedule, however haven't started it yet.  It seems to be a well thought out plan that employs the concept of periodization which I am happy about.  Ask me again in a few weeks and I will have a better opinion for you. 

Our group has been together for just about 1 month now.  I hope you are benefiting from this and feel like you have learned something within that time period.  If you have any suggestions on how I or we can better help you I encourage to share your thoughts.  You can always shoot me a PM if you want to share something on a one on one basis.  Feedback for me is always good as this is my 1st group and I’d like to be the best Mentor I possibly can. Personally, I am really enjoying this group and love communication with all of you on a regular basis. 

With that said, I'm off on Vacation.  I will try to check in when I can on my Blackberry, but sometimes that process is tedious.  Please keep the discussions and training up and remember to inspire each other.  Keep your Nutrition in check and pray that the French Fry Demons stay away from my gut!  I will be back next Wednesday!  Have a great week! 

-Brian

2010-04-27 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2819699

Crisi,

Good job on the swimming lessons.  For water in my ears, if I absolutely can't get it out by tilting my head or lying on the side that has water ( creepy fact about me, I think the feeling of water finally coming out of your ears is the best! ) I use a couple of drops of plain alcohol.  Try not to stick your finger in your ear to form a vacuum because that never seems to work and just makes your ear hurt.  The alcohol will dry up any water you have in your ears. 

As for the sore ankles, two things: are you swimming with your toes pointed and are you using fins?  If your toes are pointed, it may be that you are just not used to that position and if you are a biker you may have stiff ankles that will make swimming with your toes pointed uncomfortable as your ankles are not used to that stretch.  If you are using fins in your workouts, that may be whats causing the soreness as fins help to flex your ankles.  To get a good strong whip like kick from your hips, your ankles have to be able to flex as much as possible.  If you sit down with your legs in front of you, you can point your toes and try withour lifting your heels up, to touch your toes to the floor.  This will help you to stretch your ankles.

Ronda
2010-04-28 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Got my last run in before the half marathon on Saturday.  Felt great!  Even a new PR -23:39 forf a 3 mile run!  ( I know I shouldn't push it before a race, but it was a short run and I have 2 rest days coming up.

I'll let you know how Saturday turns out!!!  Have a great rest of the week everybody!

2010-04-28 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2814605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Swimfreak17

First 5k done.

Congrats!  It sounds like it was fun.

a goal as far out as my tri is not enough to light the fire under me

Ditto.  My next tri isn't until June 27th and I have been slackin'.
2010-04-28 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2816618

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Chezz - 2010-04-26 7:44 AM

Great job Justin. 

Thanks!  Missed my goal but had a great time.
2010-04-28 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Swimfreak17

Decided to try out fitday for logging food

I like their web site.  I had the same experience of shock when I actually saw what I was consuming.
2010-04-28 5:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Have any of you upgraded your saddle?  What are you using, why?  I have a Specialized Allez Compact, all stock parts.  I want to get a new saddle, have a leg issue that I think is aggravated by the support bar running from the front to the back of the saddle just under the seat.  Hoping a different saddle may help, ready to upgrade something on this thing anyway.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27