BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-05-03 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2834750

CO
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
juneapple - 2010-05-03 7:16 PM...
One question for the group... I've pretty much decided to hold off on going clipless until after the race, heeding the old adage not to introduce anything new for a race (shoes, equipment, etc.).  What do you all think?

-Stu

Stu, you know, during the Tri, you'll only need to clip and unclip once...no stop lights. 

2010-05-03 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2775149

CO
Michael,

With those LT tests you described a few pages ago, can those be used to do Heart Rate Zones at the same time?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a nice flat course to run (let alone bike) so grade won't affect the test too much.  Should that matter that much?  I just found a .6 mile spot that isn't too bad, or should I just go to a track?
2010-05-03 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Went for swim today. Didn't know what kind of workout to perform since I my laptop crashed on me, so I just winged it and did 5 x 200. Felt weak today, most likely because of poor nutrition this weekend.

As for the wife, she's not the solo exercising type. She's plays women's slo-pitch in summer and darts in winter. Once my little girls get older I'm hoping will be going for family rides.

Michael, I've only known you for a couple of months via the mentor group but I know you'll be itching to get out fast. Remember to take it slow, don't rush. You've got many years to go. Something I always say to myself is "What you do today can affect you in the future", in other words I'm telling you to make sure you are healed, otherwise you may have a short TRI career.

2010-05-03 8:57 PM

CO
Training for an HIM, with an Oly and Sprints before it.

I've got 2 sprints back to back in June, then 3 weeks later an Oly, then 4 weeks later my HIM.

I'm not worried about the Sprints or Oly, as my standard runs are >1hour and I can get a 2 hour bike ride in fairly easily.  My concern is building up to a 3.5 hour bike ride before the HIM.  It seems like most plans have the greatest volume about 4-6 weeks before the HIM.  For me, that's right at the time of my Oly.  So should I try to get the peek long rides done about 2 weeks before the Oly, or a week after the Oly.
2010-05-03 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2834813

CO
bartimaeus - 2010-05-03 7:46 PM
One question for the group... I've pretty much decided to hold off on going clipless until after the race, heeding the old adage not to introduce anything new for a race (shoes, equipment, etc.).  What do you all think?

-Stu

Stu, you know, during the Tri, you'll only need to clip and unclip once...no stop lights. 

But seriously, you probably should hold off on them.  Though I'm just quoting what I've heard on this site over and over.
2010-05-03 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Whoo Hoo!
I just did my first "run" in 6 weeks!
I did 22 minutes on the treadmill. It was actually alternating walk/run, whichis what the Doc recommended. Right now, my foot is feelin pretty good!

2010-05-03 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2834863

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
slow turtle - 2010-05-03 10:12 PM Whoo Hoo!
I did 22 minutes on the treadmill. It was actually alternating walk/run, whichis what the Doc recommended. Right now, my foot is feelin pretty good!

Whoo hoo is right!  Let's get this group off the injured reserve list!

Edited by juneapple 2010-05-03 9:52 PM
2010-05-04 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2834813

User image

Expert
bartimaeus - 2010-05-03 9:46 PM

-Stu

LOL Mike.  Point taken.  I was actually thinking more about having a different shoe on the foot, using some muscles which maybe I've been avoiding, and potentially a different foot/leg position and the impact of all of that on the run (and maybe the bike too).  If I don't go clipless for this race, then I've got a month to get used to it (with lots of practice at stop signs) before the next potential race.
2010-05-04 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2834825

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
bartimaeus - 2010-05-03 9:50 PM Michael,

With those LT tests you described a few pages ago, can those be used to do Heart Rate Zones at the same time?

Although they could perhaps be finagled to do the job, I wouldn't use those tests to find LTHR.

There are a number of protocols out there for doing LTHR tests.  This is a controversial subject.  Here's my take on it, for what it's worth, distilled into a few points.

1.  If you've done a race that takes about an hour to complete and you were spent at the end and you maintained a fairly even pace throughout, then use average HR over the last 30 minutes as your LTHR.  Otherwise, the protocols on this site (here) are pretty standard and as reliable as anything.  In any case, read that article.  It has some useful info.

2.  The tests are HARD.  They are hard to get the pacing right, and they just hurt like the dickens.  For both of these reasons, this is a long-term project.  You want to compare the numbers you get with the results that you have in races, with HR during training at various intensities, with how you feel during training, etc.  In other words, the numbers are just one piece of the puzzle, and greater accuracy will be achieved by trying to put the whole puzzle together.  (Example:  If you are breathing so hard that you cannot speak a complete sentence during a run that is 'zone 2' according to your HR, then the LTHR that you used to determine your zone 2 is probably too high.)

3.  Learn how conditions (temperature, stress, hydration, during of exercise, etc.) affect your HR.  This is a long-term project that requires observation.  It is important so that you can interpret your HR during training or a race.  (Example:  If you know that your HR drifts up around 5bpm after more than 90 minutes of running, then you'll better understand what your HR monitor is telling you during a race or training run.)

4.  The numbers (ALL of the numbers mentioned above!) change over time.  So you can't stop being observant!

I think that training by HR can be a great tool, especially for longer stuff, but it does take some mental energy.  For those who don't want to bother with all of the above, I honestly think it is better to train by pace and RPE.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a nice flat course to run (let alone bike) so grade won't affect the test too much.  Should that matter that much?  I just found a .6 mile spot that isn't too bad, or should I just go to a track?

For HR, it doesn't matter all that much, as long as there are not gigantic hills involved.  For the tests that I posted earlier (which were for finding PACE at LT, not HR at LT) it's best if the run is done on flat terrain or terrain that is similar to where you'll be training (rolling hills are fine it that's where you'll be training).  For the bike, it only really works on a trainer or a dead flat and long stretch of road with no stops.

Edited by Experior 2010-05-04 2:05 PM
2010-05-04 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2834863

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-05-03 10:12 PM Whoo Hoo!

Heidi, you're my inspiration now...  Keep it up!
2010-05-04 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2835216

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-05-04 7:49 AM
bartimaeus - 2010-05-03 9:46 PM

-Stu

LOL Mike.  Point taken.  I was actually thinking more about having a different shoe on the foot, using some muscles which maybe I've been avoiding, and potentially a different foot/leg position and the impact of all of that on the run (and maybe the bike too).  If I don't go clipless for this race, then I've got a month to get used to it (with lots of practice at stop signs) before the next potential race.

I would definitely be concerned about this (the part I bolded).  I have noticed that if I don't ride my tri shoes (I have different shoes that I use on my road vs. tri bike) for a while, then the first couple of times using them (especially on longer rides) I get an ache or cramp in a certain spot on my foot.  It goes away after a few rides, but is somewhat uncomfortable the first couple of rides.  Of course, YMMV, but you won't know until you try, and then it'll be too late!

You don't want to start the run with a nagging discomfort if you can help it.  Don't ask me how I know this...

2010-05-05 8:42 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all-there is an article in this week's Sports Illustrated that discusses the students in the cross country program at the McCallie School in Chattanooga where my son is a sophmore.  His name is Gil Walton and he is mentioned and quoted.  It's an interesting situation and a well written article-thought you might find it interesting.  Of course, I am a proud Dad!  Wish I had his 5k time :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1169181/index.htm

Randy

Edited by slornow 2010-05-05 8:43 AM
2010-05-05 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Hi All,

Michael, how's that hip today?  Still on bed rest? I still can't believe you completed a HIM in 5+ hours with a fractured pelvis.  I'm going to nominate you for triathlete of the month.

Heidi, glad to hear that you are getting back into running.

Mike II -   If you aren't looking to crush your Oly, couldn't you do some long rides the same week as the race?  Obviously you wouldn't want to go out and ride 60 miles the day before the event, but if you aren't tapering for the race couldn't you keep your mileage relatively high? Perhaps one of the more experienced members can answer that.

Stu, t-minus 3 days!  What's the course like?

2010-05-05 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
How is everybody today?  I'm 'enjoying' my second full day of bed rest, about to rip my hair out from the excitement of it.

I know that Stu is gearing up for his HIM this weekend, and I think Mark has a Duathlon (?).  Anybody else racing?

2010-05-05 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2838008

User image

Veteran
DC
slornow - 2010-05-05 8:42 AM

Good morning all-there is an article in this week's Sports Illustrated that discusses the students in the cross country program at the McCallie School in Chattanooga where my son is a sophmore.  His name is Gil Walton and he is mentioned and quoted.  It's an interesting situation and a well written article-thought you might find it interesting.  Of course, I am a proud Dad!  Wish I had his 5k time

Randy

A great piece, and how neat that your son is not only featured, but quoted as well.  You've got good reason to be a proud dad.

I too wish had his 5K time!

2010-05-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2838110

User image

Regular
Experior - 2010-05-05 10:05 AM How is everybody today?  I'm 'enjoying' my second full day of bed rest, about to rip my hair out from the excitement of it.

I know that Stu is gearing up for his HIM this weekend, and I think Mark has a Duathlon (?).  Anybody else racing?

Yes, I have my first-ever tri this weekend - It's a Sprint with some very cold water (~60).  I guess that will be some motivation to have a quick swim!  As long as the weather holds, it should be a great race.

I am tapering this week and have a OWS clinic tonight run by the sponsors of this weekend's race.  It's hard to believe that it is almost here - I've had a countdown on my whiteboard at work and remember when it had 3 digits. 

- Mark

2010-05-05 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2838008

User image

Expert
slornow - 2010-05-05 9:42 AM

Good morning all-there is an article in this week's Sports Illustrated that discusses the students in the cross country program at the McCallie School in Chattanooga where my son is a sophmore.  His name is Gil Walton and he is mentioned and quoted.  It's an interesting situation and a well written article-thought you might find it interesting.  Of course, I am a proud Dad!  Wish I had his 5k time

Randy

Hey Randy,

Thanks for sharing and congrats... it sounds like you've raised an awesome son.  Darn right to be proud!  It's another of those unfortunate situations where well-intentioned rules screw up common sense.  Pretty cool about the merit scholarship though, and certainly the senior who is going to Harvard has a good perspective on it.  So does Gil get to run in the meets but his time/place doesn't count or is he barred from competing?

And, I'll third the "wish I had his 5K time" too!
2010-05-05 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2838138

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stone Cutter - 2010-05-05 10:12 AM
slornow - 2010-05-05 8:42 AM

Randy

A great piece, and how neat that your son is not only featured, but quoted as well.  You've got good reason to be a proud dad.

I too wish had his 5K time!

x2 on both points.

It's pretty sad when bureaucracy gets so bad that people cannot (or will not bring themselves to) do what is obviously the right thing.
2010-05-05 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2838525

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
OneFastMule - 2010-05-05 12:04 PM
Experior - 2010-05-05 10:05 AM How is everybody today?  I'm 'enjoying' my second full day of bed rest, about to rip my hair out from the excitement of it.

Yes, I have my first-ever tri this weekend - It's a Sprint with some very cold water (~60).  I guess that will be some motivation to have a quick swim!  As long as the weather holds, it should be a great race.

I am tapering this week and have a OWS clinic tonight run by the sponsors of this weekend's race.  It's hard to believe that it is almost here - I've had a countdown on my whiteboard at work and remember when it had 3 digits. 

- Mark

Alright!  Now I'm excited.  Don't freeze!
2010-05-05 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2838525

User image

Expert
OneFastMule - 2010-05-05 12:04 PM Yes, I have my first-ever tri this weekend - It's a Sprint with some very cold water (~60).  I guess that will be some motivation to have a quick swim!  As long as the weather holds, it should be a great race.

- Mark

Let's rock and roll, Mark!  First one EVER?  Woohooo... good luck!  And now I remember one of the reasons came south from New England... cold water - our swim team practiced and had meets in a spring fed pool.  In the height of the summer it would get to 70 degrees... I still remember a meet when the temps were in the 50s.  It was, however, a great home pool advantage!
2010-05-05 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2838110

User image

Expert

Ummm... you'll want that hair later, Michael :-)  Thanks for the advice on the clipless... I'll integrate the new equipment post-HIM.

After talking about it for months, I finally managed to do my first commute to work on the bike (actually, rode home last night and rode in this morning).  A nice 16 mile route with 3 killer hills on the way home (almost started too late at 7:30 - was dark when I pulled in).  One of the cool things (literally) about last night's ride was that every time I rode down to a stream crossing, the temp would drop by about 10 degrees.  The ride to work this morning was one of the most pleasant rides I've ever had... the route is just beautiful... going by orchards, stone walls, views of the Blue Ridge across meadows, riding along next to a stream, etc.  Very little traffic and this morning at least, no dogs (my big challenge in the country).  It's funny, you'd never drive this way, so I don't think I had ever done the entire route before, just little parts... but taken as a whole, just an incredibly wonderful bike ride on a picture-perfect morning!   I'll have to take along a camera sometime... I really felt spoiled this morning living out here.

Tomorrow a light run / swim and I'll take Friday off.  I've never been to the course Mike (and probably won't before the race - about 2 hours away), but I hear it is a relatively flat bike and one hill in the run.  Definitely anxious about the race.  It will be a fast field (HalfMax Championship and Team USA Qualifier), so I will likely be spending a fair amount of time out on my own... hope I hook up with someone to pace with along the way.  Hope there's still some pasta left at the end for me... lol!

Have a great day everyone!

2010-05-05 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2838584

User image

Master
South Alabama

juneapple -So does Gil get to run in the meets but his time/place doesn't count or is he barred from competing?

Stu, during cross country season most meets will have a separate JV race and he, along with the other merit scholarship recipients, will run in that race.  During track he is able to run in some meets but he cannot score for the team.  Fortunately, Gil has been able to attend some competitive events like Footlocker in cross country and Nike Outdoor Nationals in track to compete against some really exceptional runners.  Of course, in those events he is competing as an individual. The big thing the boys miss is the chance to compete for their school and contribute to the team. Something that was a big part of my HS experience and I suspect that is true for most folks that played sports in HS. Gil hopes to run in college so he sees the big picture and as a sophmore has plenty of time to knock some more time off that 16:19

Best of luck on your race this weekend. Enjoyed the description of your ride into work.  I went to school at JMU not to far from Charlottesville and miss the area-especially in the Spring and Fall.

Randy 

2010-05-05 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Michael hope you get well soon so as to not lose all your hair.

Stu and Mark, good luck this weekend.

Well, I've been busy working out last three days. Swim on Monday, Bike (stationary) and Run on Tuesday, Swim this morning and also did a 1 hour bike outside this afternoon. First long ride on the bike which was fun and scary. Wind was crazy on the open roads today but had some nice warm weather. Also found that I could easily strap my Garmin to handle bars which makes it alot easier to view my stats.

2010-05-05 11:12 PM

CO
I'll be in the middle of Iowa this weekend, so probably won't be checking in.  Just running for me for a few days.

Good luck with the races Mark and Stu!

2010-05-06 9:24 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-How you getting along with the injury?

Randy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40