General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-02-28 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3367575

Calgary
Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Hi all,
I think it's been about 2 months since my last update. I've been dutifully sticking with the program, except for swimming 4 days a week, rather than 3. I decided to try and test myself last week, and managed 1200m straight without any breaststroke or rests. Given that I could barely swim 25 m 4 months ago I'm considering this a huge success.
I've been struggling to reduce my strokes per 25m to less than 18. I average 21-23 when swimming normally, with about 2min 30 sec for 100m. I can improve this to 2min if I work hard but wouldn't be able to swim this for long...
Should I just keep with the program, and hope that my stroke technique improves with time or would you recommend I spend a day each week just practising drills, such as the TI drills?

2011-03-01 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3376348

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
bilkovet - 2011-02-28 6:29 PM Hi all,
I think it's been about 2 months since my last update. I've been dutifully sticking with the program, except for swimming 4 days a week, rather than 3. I decided to try and test myself last week, and managed 1200m straight without any breaststroke or rests. Given that I could barely swim 25 m 4 months ago I'm considering this a huge success.
I've been struggling to reduce my strokes per 25m to less than 18. I average 21-23 when swimming normally, with about 2min 30 sec for 100m. I can improve this to 2min if I work hard but wouldn't be able to swim this for long...
Should I just keep with the program, and hope that my stroke technique improves with time or would you recommend I spend a day each week just practising drills, such as the TI drills?

That is so great!!! I think you should stick to the plan. There is no reason to be below 18 strokes. Many great swimmers are at about 20-21.
2011-03-01 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3377836

Calgary
Thanks for the input. I'm really enjoying my swimming, which I never thought I would say, and splitting each session into sections definitely makes it easier to build up without even realising it.
2011-03-02 12:10 AM
in reply to: #3052877

Hi all,

Was looking online for a beginner swimmer program and this looks ideal.

Hope to keep u posted on progress

2011-03-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3378504

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
colstab - 2011-03-02 12:10 AM Hi all,

Was looking online for a beginner swimmer program and this looks ideal.

Hope to keep u posted on progress

Welcome!! So glad you like the plan. I look forward to hearing from you as you get better and better!
2011-03-08 10:54 AM

User image

Camden Wyoming, Delaware

I'm back (from page 10).

I made it to week 6 before the holidays began to take over too much of my time to stick with the plan.  Then I started prepping for my 1st 1/2 marathon in January, so running was my priority and swimming took a backseat to the occasional "swim for fun".  Now, with my 1/2 marathon only 2.5 weeks away (and training tapering off) and my first tri of the season scheduled for May 15th, it's time to get back in the pool with some fury.  Gonna back up 2 weeks and start over from week 5 today and start working my way through the next 16 weeks from there.

Will report back with progress/issues as needed.

2011-03-08 1:10 PM

Regular
Started the first workout of the program today. Went well, was nervous going to the pool as I've had some serious anxiety issues in the last several weeks. Bribed myself by promising a new purse if I got through the workout and it worked! I've done 100s before but isolated and just trying to get through them. The workout had 3 100s and I was able to get through without panicking. Nice to have a definitive plan for the pool as well. Otherwise I find that I have an idea of what I want to get accomplished (seems easy enough when I'm not in the water, right?) but once I start, I'll modify based on anxiety. This way I can't modify, I HAVE to do it.
2011-03-10 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3388279

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
btlovin - 2011-03-08 10:54 AM

I'm back (from page 10).

I made it to week 6 before the holidays began to take over too much of my time to stick with the plan.  Then I started prepping for my 1st 1/2 marathon in January, so running was my priority and swimming took a backseat to the occasional "swim for fun".  Now, with my 1/2 marathon only 2.5 weeks away (and training tapering off) and my first tri of the season scheduled for May 15th, it's time to get back in the pool with some fury.  Gonna back up 2 weeks and start over from week 5 today and start working my way through the next 16 weeks from there.

Will report back with progress/issues as needed.

Excellent! Welcome back, and good luck in your half-marathon!

2011-03-10 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3388626

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

kwynnc - 2011-03-08 1:10 PM Started the first workout of the program today. Went well, was nervous going to the pool as I've had some serious anxiety issues in the last several weeks. Bribed myself by promising a new purse if I got through the workout and it worked! I've done 100s before but isolated and just trying to get through them. The workout had 3 100s and I was able to get through without panicking. Nice to have a definitive plan for the pool as well. Otherwise I find that I have an idea of what I want to get accomplished (seems easy enough when I'm not in the water, right?) but once I start, I'll modify based on anxiety. This way I can't modify, I HAVE to do it.

Congrats! Looks like you are tackling your fear! Pretty soon the pool will no longer have that control over your emotions and you can pick a new battle to fight....YOU ROCK!

2011-03-12 6:47 AM

N. Phoneix

Hi all,

I'm Jayson, a 34 yr old newbie at triathalon's. My swimming use to be decent I thought...turns out not so much. I just started the Learn to swim workouts and am getting better. The drills are helping alot and I just picked up the book "Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin" which is already seeming to help. I do swim with a nose clip just ddue to the water...maybe just the chlorine in my nose.

I know I have heavy legs as a former runner and weightlifter. Any tips on getting them up. I try arching my back and focusing on "swimming downhill" but they just don't seem to want to come up.

Jayson

2011-03-13 2:19 PM

N. Phoneix

TI (book) and a NEW nose clip really helped...Splash and Dash...here I come!

Drill, Drill, Drill

100m Warm Up, 100m catchup, 100m pull, 100m kick (w fins, arms to the side), 100m cooldown. Focusing on hip rotation and body roll.

FINALLY,  a nose clip that actually works...able to focus on form rather than not drowning/choking/gagging.

New goal...continue to use for form but work towards proper form and not use clip....eventually. For now, pat self on back, no timing. I will time during full swims.

Jayson...the non-swimming scuba diver =)

Edited by jazhardy 2011-03-13 2:20 PM

2011-03-13 2:41 PM

N. Phoneix

As I need to get some OW exp. in... Anybody got some info. on if, say I bought a bodyglove (or similar) wetsuit [keep in mind I'm just starting] would work OK until later in my training...funds are limited, and the TRI specific stuff is just WAAAY out of my range.

Thanks,

Jayson

2011-03-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3395732

User image

Camden Wyoming, Delaware
jazhardy - 2011-03-13 3:41 PM

As I need to get some OW exp. in... Anybody got some info. on if, say I bought a bodyglove (or similar) wetsuit [keep in mind I'm just starting] would work OK until later in my training...funds are limited, and the TRI specific stuff is just WAAAY out of my range.

Thanks,

Jayson

If by BodyGlove wetsuit, you're referring to a "surfing" style wetsuit, DON'T DO IT.  They are not the same, and serve different purposes all together when compared to a tri-specific wetsuit.  They will both keep you warm in cooler waters, but the tri suit is equipped to help with buoyancy, the surfing wetsuit is not.  It will just get waterlogged and add additional weight that you’ll have to drag through the water.

2011-03-14 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3395732

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jazhardy - 2011-03-13 2:41 PM

Thanks,

Jayson

If at all possible, buy a triathlon wetsuit. Xterra usually has great deals, and ProMotion is also very affordable. Give those a look first before settling for a Body Glove.

2011-03-15 2:16 AM

N. Phoneix

Ok, Thanks guys...I had just found something about PROmotion as an ad and was going to ask that, but you beat me to it. Thanks for your help.

Jayson

2011-03-15 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3398073

N. Phoneix

Hey cool,

I checked out XTERRA and found one that I think will work...probably order this weekend. Any advice on the "volt" I know it sleeveless but it fits my budget much better.

I'm doing the splash and dash in april and need to get some OW time in soon. Thinking coves in Lake Pleasant, with maiden voyage of my ski/bass boat...=).

Jayson

2011-03-15 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3398195

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jazhardy - 2011-03-15 7:37 AM

Hey cool,

I checked out XTERRA and found one that I think will work...probably order this weekend. Any advice on the "volt" I know it sleeveless but it fits my budget much better.

I'm doing the splash and dash in april and need to get some OW time in soon. Thinking coves in Lake Pleasant, with maiden voyage of my ski/bass boat...=).

Jayson

Xterra and Promotion suits will be great for you. Get whatever you can afford. Even the least expensive ones will do what a wetsuit needs to do: keep you warm and preserve your swim stroke!

2011-03-16 7:47 AM

N. Phoneix

Thanks Jessica,

I checked out ProMotion, too. Found a comparable suit for the same price. I guess I'll check into the specifics and make a decision from there. Thanks again.

Jayson

2011-03-20 5:19 PM

Hi, I have decided to compete in my first sprint triathlon this coming August.  I have not been swimming much since high school 30 years ago!  I just printed off the Learn to Swim- month 1 article and plan.  I am looking for information on how to breathe on alternating sides. And, what is  a pull-buoy?  Do I just ask for one the next time I go to the pool?
2011-03-21 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3405769

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

colossians_33 - 2011-03-20 5:19 PM Hi, I have decided to compete in my first sprint triathlon this coming August.  I have not been swimming much since high school 30 years ago!  I just printed off the Learn to Swim- month 1 article and plan.  I am looking for information on how to breathe on alternating sides. And, what is  a pull-buoy?  Do I just ask for one the next time I go to the pool?

Welcome! If you read through this thread, you will find some links to other reading material here on BT that is helpful to new swimmers learning how to breath in a more relaxed way in the pool.

A pull buoy looks almost like a giant jelly bean. They should have some on the pool deck near the kickboards. You put it between your legs to help learn what it feels like to swim with high hips. You won't need to keep when you use a pull buoy, so you can focus on the pull more.

2011-03-24 11:37 AM

Regular
Cross posted from my journal today:

"Nailed my swim workout today!! Texted Brian and told him to cancel the order for the Swedish nanny, I may not die in Vegas after all!!

Nervous starting - hadn't looked at the workout until I got to the pool and pulled it out of my bag.

200 warm up
200 swim
200 pull
200 swim
50 cool down

30 minutes, 850 total

I have not done more than 1 200 at the start of the workout!!! Went really well, continuous exhale, was relaxed the whole time. Full disclosure: there is no appreciable speed difference in my w/u, swim, or cool down. But I don't care!!!"

I am so so so happy with the progression of this swim program. This workout was week 2, workout 3. I really like the increase in distance and the variety of workouts. I can't say enough good things about this. Prior to this, I had only been able to hit the distance of 200 and 300 once in a workout and I hated every fricking second of it. Today was actually enjoyable.

Edited by kwynnc 2011-03-24 11:37 AM

2011-03-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3412401

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

kwynnc - 2011-03-24 11:37 AM Cross posted from my journal today: "Nailed my swim workout today!! Texted Brian and told him to cancel the order for the Swedish nanny, I may not die in Vegas after all!! Nervous starting - hadn't looked at the workout until I got to the pool and pulled it out of my bag. 200 warm up 200 swim 200 pull 200 swim 50 cool down 30 minutes, 850 total I have not done more than 1 200 at the start of the workout!!! Went really well, continuous exhale, was relaxed the whole time. Full disclosure: there is no appreciable speed difference in my w/u, swim, or cool down. But I don't care!!!" I am so so so happy with the progression of this swim program. This workout was week 2, workout 3. I really like the increase in distance and the variety of workouts. I can't say enough good things about this. Prior to this, I had only been able to hit the distance of 200 and 300 once in a workout and I hated every fricking second of it. Today was actually enjoyable.

You have no idea how much I love reading stuff like this! I am so excited that other people here on BT will read this and feel encouraged to try this program. Thank you so much for sharing! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2011-03-29 1:42 PM

Howdy,

I decided to do a Triathlon over Thanksgiving becuz just trail running with the dogs was getting too boring.   I ran my first (and last) marathon at age 47, and figured having a "goal" would be something to help me focus.     I'm 52 now, and signed up for Chicago in August.  Completely by coincidence, by best friend also decided to do Chicago, so now we train together, sort of....  he's a natural swimmer, while I swim like a rock.   But I can run his arse off, and out-pedal him (we rode our bikes across Wisconsin 500 miles a few years back).  We're both tri-rookies.

Anyway, I printed off the Learning to Swim Month #1 Primer, have joined a pool, and will be starting on Sunday....

2011-03-29 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3420084

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
goettjp - 2011-03-29 1:42 PM

Howdy,

I decided to do a Triathlon over Thanksgiving becuz just trail running with the dogs was getting too boring.   I ran my first (and last) marathon at age 47, and figured having a "goal" would be something to help me focus.     I'm 52 now, and signed up for Chicago in August.  Completely by coincidence, by best friend also decided to do Chicago, so now we train together, sort of....  he's a natural swimmer, while I swim like a rock.   But I can run his arse off, and out-pedal him (we rode our bikes across Wisconsin 500 miles a few years back).  We're both tri-rookies.

Anyway, I printed off the Learning to Swim Month #1 Primer, have joined a pool, and will be starting on Sunday....

Welcome! We are glad to have you here. Lots of people have used this swim plan with great success. If you have any questions, let me know!

2011-03-31 9:59 AM

Well, I did Workout #1 of Week 1 last night, and it was amazing.

I had been in the pool 3-4 times already, just trying to get some laps in, but it was awful.  I would freestyle for as far as possible, then cling to side gasping like a fish on the bank.  My form suffered, my breathing was atrocious, I could barely climb out when done.

I had never used a kickboard or pull buoy before.  Other than getting a major calf cramp when kicking, I can see that these are valuable tools in training.  I also like having a set routine going in, with goals and times and whatnot.   I'm an engineer, so that figures....

Still working on my breathing. I started with one inhale per 4 strokes, but was soon inhaling every other stroke.

Any advice on avoiding legs cramps?  Is that from dehydration or lack of previous training?  Also, my partner suggested an "S" stroke.  Is there a video that shows that?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16