General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2010-10-22 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3166058

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
mrfranks_84 - 2010-10-21 9:50 PM Calming down my routine the past 2 days cause I have my Military PFA tomorrow morning.  I also found out there is an Oly being held in DC next Sept!  I'm going to sign up for it so that I have an actual race on the horizon to look forward to.  So far I've just been training knowing that i wanted to register in races.  I'm still going to be training for the HIM though.

Maybe if I still lived in the DC area... good luck Hope the PFA went well! 

2010-10-22 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
So I just got off the phone with a potential swim coach and I don't know if I have more answers or questions.  My biggest question was whether it was better to work on my stamina first or my form in the water?  They had classes I could join to build up stamina and make small improvments on form or one-on-one instruction for $60/hr.  What do you all think?  My experience in water is pretty limited but I can swim.  I can get get from point A to point B...eventually.  And as long as point B isn't tooo far away.
2010-10-22 3:22 PM

New user

Hi -  I just registered for my first half IM: the Mooseman 70.3 in Jun 2011!  I've completed a handful of Olympics last season and a Sprint in 2009.   My times are usually in the bottom 15%, but I've finished strong every time.   This is fine for me as finishing (without fainting) is my overall goal.  I started training w a local tri-club last month, and I've already seen my performance improve -- especially in the water. 

My question to this group is mostly about race-day nutrition and how to "practice" w food during the normal course of training.  Our club swims for 90 mins (includes w/u, main-set & c/d) about 3 days per week, but no bricks that include the the water.  Also for the most part, our two work-out days are usually composed of an AM and PM work-outs (not back to back sessions). 

This was my nutrition plan for the Olympic: 
t = - 2hrs: breakfast
t = -1hr: banana
t = 0 (start time): gel
T1 = Cliff Bloc (conveniently placed on bike frame)
45 min into bike: gel
While on bike: 1 bottle of gatorade + 1 bottle of water
T2 = gel
Water periodically on the run mostly to rinse mouth and face

I have read on the Mooseman website that there'll be chicken broth (is this hot or cold?!), salt tabs and other interesting snacks available along the route.  

Does anybody have any suggestions / resources / rules of thumb for a 70.3 nutrition plan?  And how do you practice w chicken broth and salt?!?!

Thank you!
2010-10-22 11:20 PM

User image

Ok, so I might be completely crazy...doing my first HIM in Oceanside, CA in April...and I signed up for another one later in the season! I "officially" start training next week...hope you all can help me
2010-10-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3162912

Expert
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-10-20 1:23 PM
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-10-19 1:18 PM
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-10-18 11:45 AM
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-10-16 8:21 PM Hey Everyone!

I'm new to BT and am really excited to get in to the loop and chat with some other present and future triathletes!  I'm 21 years old, grew up in NYC and DC and am in my final year of undergrad in new orleans. Have always been an athlete but have made a ton of lifestyle changes and promises to myself in terms of fitness that i have honored over the last year, and this is a big step and is very very important to me.

I'm 6'2", 195lbs, and have played collegiate squash for 4 years (tennis in high school).  I have been trying to make steps in the right direction towards tri-training for about a month.  2 days a week of strength training, a mid and a long dist swim, 2 spinning classes or 2 long bike rides, and 2 runs each week.  The swimming and biking have been great but the running has been a bit of a problem as I get pretty bad shin splints that haven't subsided despite doctors appts/stretches/shoes and what have you.  I got a comprehensive gait analysis and had a sports medicine appointment and got some custom tailored soles and shoes and running instructions, and i have run two days and about 10 mi shin splint free!!! I'm so excited to finally start in the right direction.

I am running the lonestar 70.3 in Galveston Island, TX in April and am solo as of now.  I'm also, for my dads 60th bday, running the Midnight Sun Marathon in June in norway, so I've got a lot of training to do.  My girlfriend said she would come cheer me on but i'd love someone to run with, or at least train with.  Anyhoo, I think my distances are almost there on swimming and biking, but need to get running much much much better.    Looking forward to being part of the community!! 

Welcome!! We are happy to have you here on BT. Make sure to check your state forum here (LA). You may find others to train with there.
When will you be starting to use the BT Half Ironman Training Plan? Sounds like you are on the right track with building up your volume.

Thank you! I don't see the state forum there, just a huffingtonpost article.  I  want to start on the BT half ironman ASAP.  Where can I find a copy of it?
\

HAHA! I am laughing at myself! I was writing a newsletter for my boot camp at the same time as I was typing here and I accidentally inserted the wrong link! How embarrassing! HERE is the link for the LA forum. I checked it this time.
You can find the training plan here. The link is also available on the the first post in this thread.

I love it! I will keep posting here!
2010-10-24 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
I have finally tweaked the plan to fit my needs and officially begin tomorrow!   My husband however is not sure he wants to go to Puerto Rico so I may switch.   But until I find another I want to do, I will plan for PR in March

2010-10-25 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3167597

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mrfranks_84 - 2010-10-22 2:50 PM So I just got off the phone with a potential swim coach and I don't know if I have more answers or questions.  My biggest question was whether it was better to work on my stamina first or my form in the water?  They had classes I could join to build up stamina and make small improvments on form or one-on-one instruction for $60/hr.  What do you all think?  My experience in water is pretty limited but I can swim.  I can get get from point A to point B...eventually.  And as long as point B isn't tooo far away.

Hmmm....I would say swim lessons first. Just a few may be enough to make a big difference. Then you can switch to classes.
2010-10-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3167672

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jramirez - 2010-10-22 3:22 PM Hi -  I just registered for my first half IM: the Mooseman 70.3 in Jun 2011!  I've completed a handful of Olympics last season and a Sprint in 2009.   My times are usually in the bottom 15%, but I've finished strong every time.   This is fine for me as finishing (without fainting) is my overall goal.  I started training w a local tri-club last month, and I've already seen my performance improve -- especially in the water. 

My question to this group is mostly about race-day nutrition and how to "practice" w food during the normal course of training.  Our club swims for 90 mins (includes w/u, main-set & c/d) about 3 days per week, but no bricks that include the the water.  Also for the most part, our two work-out days are usually composed of an AM and PM work-outs (not back to back sessions). 

This was my nutrition plan for the Olympic: 
t = - 2hrs: breakfast
t = -1hr: banana
t = 0 (start time): gel
T1 = Cliff Bloc (conveniently placed on bike frame)
45 min into bike: gel
While on bike: 1 bottle of gatorade + 1 bottle of water
T2 = gel
Water periodically on the run mostly to rinse mouth and face

I have read on the Mooseman website that there'll be chicken broth (is this hot or cold?!), salt tabs and other interesting snacks available along the route.  

Does anybody have any suggestions / resources / rules of thumb for a 70.3 nutrition plan?  And how do you practice w chicken broth and salt?!?!

Thank you!

Welcome to BT! Congrats on signing up for your first HIM. It seems like the gels and cliff blocs work for you, so keep using those if you like. I used chicken broth for the first time in a race. I don't think people practice with it much because you only really need it after very long efforts. It's usually hot, and it can be very helpful on the run after many hours of racing. In an Oronman, it's usually not available until about half way through the run, but I'm not sure about HIM distance. Depending on how fast you are on race day, you may not need or want it.
My biggest suggestion is to just continue with what has worked for you in the past. Don't pay much attention to what is available on course unless you want to live off the course nutrition and not your own. I always used Gatorade, as that was available on course and made things easier.
2010-10-25 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3168200

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mellissa - 2010-10-22 11:20 PM Ok, so I might be completely crazy...doing my first HIM in Oceanside, CA in April...and I signed up for another one later in the season! I "officially" start training next week...hope you all can help me

Yay! We will do our best to help you, and I am sure your experience will help others, too!
2010-10-25 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3169323

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Seren - 2010-10-24 3:44 PM I have finally tweaked the plan to fit my needs and officially begin tomorrow!   My husband however is not sure he wants to go to Puerto Rico so I may switch.   But until I find another I want to do, I will plan for PR in March

Sounds great! Let us know how your first week goes.
2010-10-25 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3170123

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-10-25 10:13 AM
mrfranks_84 - 2010-10-22 2:50 PM So I just got off the phone with a potential swim coach and I don't know if I have more answers or questions.  My biggest question was whether it was better to work on my stamina first or my form in the water?  They had classes I could join to build up stamina and make small improvments on form or one-on-one instruction for $60/hr.  What do you all think?  My experience in water is pretty limited but I can swim.  I can get get from point A to point B...eventually.  And as long as point B isn't tooo far away.

Hmmm....I would say swim lessons first. Just a few may be enough to make a big difference. Then you can switch to classes.

So I did some surfing through the many forums we have here on BT and found some GREAT swimming pointers to begin my training in a thread appropriately named "Swimmer Beginner - Advice" and figured I'd share the knowledge with this group.  I'm going to be starting this plan today so I'll keep you all updated.

glenndenning06 - 2010-10-18 4:22 PM

While I maybe 20 years your junior, I did just start swiming in June. I have always had solid cardio, but swimming has always been tough for me. Before dedicating myself to improving on the swim, I would be very short of breath after a 50. My previous swim experience would entail swimming 1 lap breaststroke 1 lap freestyle and so on for about an hour. My advice would be: don't do this!

In June I signed up for a HIM and realized that my swim would have to improve leaps and bounds in order to be able to be able to finish. I went from barely being able to swim a 100, to being able to swim the 1.2 miles very comfortabley.

I did so by swimming freestyle exclusively, and swimming 3+ times a week. The first few sessions were very frustrating, it was embarassing having to stop and take a break every lap or so, knowing the lifeguards were wondering if they were going to have to pull me out. After about two weeks of forcing myself to swim freestyle exclusively, I had improved so much that I could swim (slowly) for about 45 minutes to an hour. I firmly believe that if you dedicate yourself to improving on the technique and swiming one stroke exclusively your body will home in on efficiency. As your stroke gets more and more efficient distance/time becomes exponentially easier. To clarify, I swam as much freestyle as I could, when I could go no further I rested until I could go again then repeated ad nauseum.

I would highly recommend talking to someone who knows how to swim, as watching some youtube videos on technique (that is if you can't spring for a coach). Technique has come for me in bursts. At first it was figuring out how to breathe on both sides, next it was where my arms should be in relation to each other at any given time, after that came kicking. Now I'm working on my upper body rotation and how that works with kicking--if I ever figure this out I'm sure I'll find something else that needs work.

It takes a lot of hard work to ingrain a movement into muscle memory. My college coach said 10,000 repetitions before a motion becomes natural/subconcious. If you put in the hours you will improve; focus on tackling one thing at a time and don't deviate from it until it's correct (i.e. feels easy/natural/smooth). One thing that has taken literally years for me to grasp is that when training, you should constantly be thinking about form and technique--this sounds obvious but for me it was not. Learning to recognize how you are moving and what you are doing right/wrong is a huge component of improvement and takes a collosal amount of self awareness.

Best of luck to you! I hope this helps, I'm not an expert by any means but was in your shoes just a few months ago.

2010-10-25 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
Alrighty, back from the pool and I think I can sum up my experience with a short quote from the lifeguard.

"I didn't know if I should save you or laugh at you.  Here's a kick board." -Lifeguard-

Gotta start somewhere though and I'm not giving up.  Besides swallowing so much water just kept me hydrated.
2010-10-25 10:50 PM
in reply to: #3171861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
That's funny chief!  No need for water bottle then.  You have a good start because you already have perseverance.  A few lessons should help you like what the others suggested and before you know it you'd be breaking 2:00min/200meters in no time.

mrfranks_84 - 2010-10-25 9:43 PM Alrighty, back from the pool and I think I can sum up my experience with a short quote from the lifeguard.

"I didn't know if I should save you or laugh at you.  Here's a kick board." -Lifeguard-

Gotta start somewhere though and I'm not giving up.  Besides swallowing so much water just kept me hydrated.
2010-10-26 1:52 PM

Expert
What are people's opinions on starting the 20 Week program more than 20 weeks before race day.   My race is 4/17/11 and my training has been cycling/spinning, swimming, and running just building up distances doing each twice a week.  Ready to get more organized and strict, but what are the factors to consider here?
2010-10-26 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3173260

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-10-26 2:52 PM What are people's opinions on starting the 20 Week program more than 20 weeks before race day.   My race is 4/17/11 and my training has been cycling/spinning, swimming, and running just building up distances doing each twice a week.  Ready to get more organized and strict, but what are the factors to consider here?

I'm curious about this as well. I've been training pretty hard even before starting the plan and made up my mind the other day that come Nov 1st I was going to start the 20 week plan even though my pinnacle HIM isn't until June.
2010-10-26 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3173337

Expert
Though I'm far from an expert, I'd definitely assume there isnt anything wrong with this.  Perhaps you can do the 20-week then start up again in the middle of the program to still build up to race day.  If you're young I'd assume there's not too many implications of this

2010-10-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3173260

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-10-26 1:52 PM What are people's opinions on starting the 20 Week program more than 20 weeks before race day.   My race is 4/17/11 and my training has been cycling/spinning, swimming, and running just building up distances doing each twice a week.  Ready to get more organized and strict, but what are the factors to consider here?

The biggest concern, IMO, is burnout. It can get tiresome and boring following a training plan for too long, and sometimes people start structured training too early and end up suffering from burnout right when they should be doing the most critical parts of the training plan.
I think what you are doing now is totally fine...building up distance and being consistent. But if you really want to start following a plan, go ahead and start. Maybe you could just do the first month of the plan and then repeat. You have to trust yourself to know what's going to work best for your life and your personality NOW, but also what is in your best interest for the duration of your upcoming season.
2010-10-28 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3177951

Expert
I would definitely agree with you TTMA and would say that it is definitely better to start then start again at the beginning when the 20 weeks comes then to start, finish, then start mid way through again.  For sure.
2010-10-31 10:01 AM

User image

Ok, I "officially" start my plan today! Surprised
2010-10-31 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3187143

User image

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN
Mellissa - 2010-10-31 11:01 AM Ok, I "officially" start my plan today! Surprised

AHH! The welcome feeling of anxiety mixed with equal parts "Let's do this"
2010-11-01 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3187669

User image

MB550 - 2010-10-31 6:28 PM
Mellissa - 2010-10-31 11:01 AM Ok, I "officially" start my plan today! Surprised

AHH! The welcome feeling of anxiety mixed with equal parts "Let's do this"

thanks...indeed...and don't forget that brief "what was I thinking" moment before realizing I actually LIKE training

2010-11-01 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Hi, is this available in any format besides the weekly .pdf?

Thanks
2010-11-01 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3189002

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Av8rTx - 2010-11-01 1:13 PM Hi, is this available in any format besides the weekly .pdf?

Thanks

The only other option would be to import it into your training log.
2010-11-01 8:05 PM

Expert
I have a few questions:

First, Is the swimming distance in feet?  
Second, Is kick/pull just focusing on a different part of the stroke?
Third,  what are some benefits to incorporating backstroke?
Last,  are these exercises meant to be performed consecutively, or close to consecutively, or does it not matter when in the day you are doing these?

Thanks! 
2010-11-01 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3187143

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Mellissa - 2010-10-31 8:01 AM Ok, I "officially" start my plan today! Surprised

Me too!  Although I still haven't picked the plan I am going to use yet.  Are you doing the beginner 1/2 plan on here?  What did you do today? 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150