BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-02 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3273070

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
If you do a HIM better be prepared to blow your mind -hahaWink  Training rides get up to 4 hours and depending on your riding ability could take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours for the race.  It seems long but once you are out there the time flies by. 

kdevarenne - 2011-01-02 7:22 PM 3 hours on the bike just blows my mind! I don't think I'll ever be able to commit to an ironman. Might try to do a half in 2012. 

2011-01-02 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3273070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kdevarenne - 2011-01-02 7:22 PM 3 hours on the bike just blows my mind! I don't think I'll ever be able to commit to an ironman. Might try to do a half in 2012. No goals for January. Familly is visiting from far away for the week, so probably no good workouts. If I had a goal though it would be to stay consistent with the two swim, bike runs a week and do core work and strength training twice a week also.

I love the bike.  Outdoors preferred but here in the Midwest the Computrainer is a lifesaver, so are fluid trainers.  I've pretty much decided to hang on the CT during the week even with good weather...I can cut down on the time needed for afterwork workouts.  Takes 20 mins one way just to get out of town.  Adds a lot to a 90-min workout. 

You don't have to spend that much time on the bike to do races 3 hours or less.  Check out Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist.  Be prepared to sweat but his point and the point of most coaches these days is that focused intense training can get the job done for shorter races.   Longer races you still need the longer base and the ability to ride a while....but shorter races not so much.  Don't let the times scare you.   I am 59, I work two jobs, I have a wife and a house and all that entails but I can get it done.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-01-02 10:32 PM
2011-01-03 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3272933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
IceManScott - 2011-01-02 6:04 PM Looked it up online.  I'll check it out at the gym.  Don't think mine here has one.

I don't know if those are standard fare at gyms these days, but my community isn't what one would call "up on the times" so for our gym to have one is kind of remarkable.  Good luck!

As of this post I was not able to break out of the hoiday sleep schedule and get my lazy azz out of bed, so other plans will be made to do my swim.
2011-01-03 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3273329

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-02 10:31 PM
kdevarenne - 2011-01-02 7:22 PM 3 hours on the bike just blows my mind! I don't think I'll ever be able to commit to an ironman. Might try to do a half in 2012. No goals for January. Familly is visiting from far away for the week, so probably no good workouts. If I had a goal though it would be to stay consistent with the two swim, bike runs a week and do core work and strength training twice a week also.

I love the bike.  Outdoors preferred but here in the Midwest the Computrainer is a lifesaver, so are fluid trainers.  I've pretty much decided to hang on the CT during the week even with good weather...I can cut down on the time needed for afterwork workouts.  Takes 20 mins one way just to get out of town.  Adds a lot to a 90-min workout. 

You don't have to spend that much time on the bike to do races 3 hours or less.  Check out Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist.  Be prepared to sweat but his point and the point of most coaches these days is that focused intense training can get the job done for shorter races.   Longer races you still need the longer base and the ability to ride a while....but shorter races not so much.  Don't let the times scare you.   I am 59, I work two jobs, I have a wife and a house and all that entails but I can get it done.

i will do 75% of my bike training on a trainer (i looked into CT and cant justify cost at this time).  i hope that will give me enough training to get me through a HIM.
2011-01-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Veteran
i think it would be helpful to hear about the mental part of IM training and racing.  there are many different training plans to get you physically ready but i dont see much talk about the mental part. my friend just did his first IM and he said someone told him before his that the hardest part is dealing with the unexpected during the race (flat tire, cramping, googles getting knocked off, etc). 

i would like the hear about how you prepare mentally for that "bad luck stuff" to happen and how you dealt with it. 
2011-01-03 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Run/Swim brick for me today. Felt good. My goal on the swim was to not run out of breath and just keep going and that is exactly what happened. I can swim a lor longer when I'm not pushing quite so hard - and it doesn't really take me that much longer which is cool. 

Goals for January: Make my workouts count. I've won the Gold medal several times in coming up with excuses why I can't work out. So stick with the plan. Don't necessarily worry about intensity but get through the volume. This is the foundation for everything that will come before. So I'm going to give it my all. And six months from now I'll cross the finish line strong - in under 6:30!  

2011-01-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3273712

User image

Expert
I know this is going to sound cliche - but the only way to prepare yourself mentally is to actually prepare yourself by practicing those situations.   People can tell you what will happen and that is useful but the best way is to actually experience it yourself.  That is what your long rides/runs are for.  Practice your nutrition.  Last year it took me 3 to 4 long bricks (50+ mile bike w/ 45min run) to get my nutrition/hydration to where I felt comfortable and wouldn't cramp or bonk.  I read books, took advice and planned it out on paper but the only way to really get it was to practice it. 

Same goes for changing a flat.  Practice it.  Practice your transitions.  I set up a T1 on my drive way and lay out my shoes, helmet, glasses, etc.  I learned last year that the little things can make or break your raceday.

So I guess my point is - take in as much information as you can, process it but but then practice it and see how it applies to you.  When is your HIM?  My opinion is that 75% of your bike training on the trainer would be too much.  Nothing beats the experience of actually riding on the road.  Unless there is bad weather, too cold or maybe unsafe roads by you I would recommend getting out on the road. 

As far as getting your goggles knocked off I highly recommend this training video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM  Let me know how it works for you.

gabrelsj - 2011-01-03 8:27 AM i think it would be helpful to hear about the mental part of IM training and racing.  there are many different training plans to get you physically ready but i dont see much talk about the mental part. my friend just did his first IM and he said someone told him before his that the hardest part is dealing with the unexpected during the race (flat tire, cramping, googles getting knocked off, etc). 

i would like the hear about how you prepare mentally for that "bad luck stuff" to happen and how you dealt with it. 
2011-01-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3273934

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2011-01-03 9:49 AMI know this is going to sound cliche - but the only way to prepare yourself mentally is to actually prepare yourself by practicing those situations.   People can tell you what will happen and that is useful but the best way is to actually experience it yourself.  That is what your long rides/runs are for.  Practice your nutrition.  Last year it took me 3 to 4 long bricks (50+ mile bike w/ 45min run) to get my nutrition/hydration to where I felt comfortable and wouldn't cramp or bonk.  I read books, took advice and planned it out on paper but the only way to really get it was to practice it. 

Same goes for changing a flat.  Practice it.  Practice your transitions.  I set up a T1 on my drive way and lay out my shoes, helmet, glasses, etc.  I learned last year that the little things can make or break your raceday.

So I guess my point is - take in as much information as you can, process it but but then practice it and see how it applies to you.  When is your HIM?  My opinion is that 75% of your bike training on the trainer would be too much.  Nothing beats the experience of actually riding on the road.  Unless there is bad weather, too cold or maybe unsafe roads by you I would recommend getting out on the road. 

As far as getting your goggles knocked off I highly recommend this training video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM  Let me know how it works for you.

gabrelsj - 2011-01-03 8:27 AM i think it would be helpful to hear about the mental part of IM training and racing.  there are many different training plans to get you physically ready but i dont see much talk about the mental part. my friend just did his first IM and he said someone told him before his that the hardest part is dealing with the unexpected during the race (flat tire, cramping, googles getting knocked off, etc). 

2011-01-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3272848

User image

Expert
Since my training this month will be focused on running - my goal for January is do ALL my long runs at the correct pace of 10:45/mile.  I have a tendency to push myself on long runs and run race pace and I think it is why I get hurt marathon training.  You can't run a race every weekend Surprised.  I also need to do active recovery 2-3 times week with foam roller and tennis ball.

razorxp - 2011-01-02 5:12 PM I say we do a challenge for everyone. Post Jan goal and we can encourage each other. ill post when not on cell phone.
2011-01-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3274002

User image

Veteran
gabrelsj - 2011-01-03 10:06 AM
tmoran80 - 2011-01-03 9:49 AMI know this is going to sound cliche - but the only way to prepare yourself mentally is to actually prepare yourself by practicing those situations.   People can tell you what will happen and that is useful but the best way is to actually experience it yourself.  That is what your long rides/runs are for.  Practice your nutrition.  Last year it took me 3 to 4 long bricks (50+ mile bike w/ 45min run) to get my nutrition/hydration to where I felt comfortable and wouldn't cramp or bonk.  I read books, took advice and planned it out on paper but the only way to really get it was to practice it. 

sorry i posted before writing anything.  my HIM is may 7.  i will do all i can to be physically ready but i like to hear other peoples thoughts on being mentally ready.  i like your ideas of practicing everything before. 

i did my first half marathon in nov.  i trained hard and felt prepared.  i got a blister on the bottom of my foot about 5 miles in.  i did not have any issues at all training.  i could not believe i got a blister during the race.  i finished the race but it was very frustrating.   to me that was mental.  like to hear how other people prepare so maybe i wont overlook something.

thanks for the link on googles.
2011-01-03 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I like what was said.  Practice, practice.  Let the air out of your tire at home...change it several times.  Chrissie Wellington even had problems on this score, remember?   lance too at the Ride in the Sky 100 last year, I think it's called.  He finished the last 7 miles on a flat cause he couldn't fix it on the road.

Swim open water.   I can't imagine how to prepare for blisters without getting one, which I did recently. 

Mental toughness is really a matter of preparation and an unwillingness to let things fluster you.  I did have an Oly bike on a seat that wanted to come off.  Hit 90 plus on a run...hard on an old guy...  I've trained to give myself positive messages...over the top of the negative sometimes.   Triathlon Revolution by Terri Schneider talks about the mental game.   Key stuff. 

2011-01-03 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3274007

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Can you share with me what active recovery is/

Thanks.

KC
2011-01-03 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3274348

User image

Expert
Check out this article with the tennis ball http://www.triathlete-digital.com/triathlete/201011?pg=42#pg42

Here is another good article - http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/activerecovery.htm

I believe it help your muscles recover faster and helps prevent injury.  I have used the foam roller ever since I had IT Band issues 2 years ago and swear by it now.  I haven't had to use it much lately because I haven't really been running many miles but as they increase I need to use it.

Some of the things I plan to do are: Foam Roller, tennis ball, yoga, walking, light stretching and a massage (If it fits budget $$$)

kcgolf - 2011-01-03 11:49 AM Can you share with me what active recovery is/

Thanks.

KC
2011-01-03 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3274087

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-03 10:26 AM I like what was said.  Practice, practice.  Let the air out of your tire at home...change it several times.  Chrissie Wellington even had problems on this score, remember?   lance too at the Ride in the Sky 100 last year, I think it's called.  He finished the last 7 miles on a flat cause he couldn't fix it on the road.

Swim open water.   I can't imagine how to prepare for blisters without getting one, which I did recently. 

Mental toughness is really a matter of preparation and an unwillingness to let things fluster you.  I did have an Oly bike on a seat that wanted to come off.  Hit 90 plus on a run...hard on an old guy...  I've trained to give myself positive messages...over the top of the negative sometimes.   Triathlon Revolution by Terri Schneider talks about the mental game.   Key stuff. 

good stuff.  thanks
2011-01-03 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3274773

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Newbie Question.....

Did 1.7 on a treadmill today according to my pedometer (pro form) watch.  The treadmill said I did 1.2. Any clue why the difference?  Also the pro form has a heart rate monitor on it.  It says my high rate should be about 154, but at the end it said I was at about 178.  I feel fine, but is this something to worry about?  Thanks for the help.

Court
2011-01-03 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3274467

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Thanks for the words of encouragemnt.

KC

2011-01-03 4:03 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hope everyone is having a great start to the week.

I am off to my curling league - looking forward to it.

KC
2011-01-03 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3274860

User image

Expert
I would go by the treadmill.  I never used a pedometer but did you have to calibrate it to your stride length? Maybe that is off? 

As far as the heart rate there is a basic formula that takes your age subtracted by 220.  This gives you your max heart rate.  You then take percentages to gauge your workout.  Depending on the person this formula works and sometimes it is way off.  There are more accurate fitness time trials to use.

For example according to the basic formula my max HR is 184 but according to the test I have done from this site my Zone 5 Max is 190.

ltcsh1 - 2011-01-03 3:07 PM Newbie Question.....

Did 1.7 on a treadmill today according to my pedometer (pro form) watch.  The treadmill said I did 1.2. Any clue why the difference?  Also the pro form has a heart rate monitor on it.  It says my high rate should be about 154, but at the end it said I was at about 178.  I feel fine, but is this something to worry about?  Thanks for the help.

Court
2011-01-03 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Goals for January...

1 x computrainer class per week.

Swim 2 x week -  Including 1 coached session.

2hrs on the trainer per week.

Run 4 x week - including 1 temp & 1 long run.

1 x Strength training class per week.

Register for HIM  Surprised

Sound reasonable?

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2011-01-03 10:12 PM
2011-01-03 11:57 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Hey everyone great job helping each other with issues.  Sounds like the new year is off to a great start for everyone. 

I have never had good luck with HR being accurate per the treadmill sensors.

Racing is very mental not just things going smooth but keeping in your race, when you get passed by someone not trying to pass them because of your ego gets in the way.  Since most are doing sprints or oly races you can save minutes in T1/T2, my father in law is a perfect example as he works his butt of training then spends 5 mins in each transition and is upset about his overall time.  Its nearly impossible to pick 10 mins up on the run but with alittle practice you can save most of that time.

Day 1 in Fl was great , eat wayyy to much but had a good workout today. Hope to swim/bike tomorrow

Edited by razorxp 2011-01-03 11:58 PM
2011-01-04 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3275802

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Enjoy your time in FLA Coach - are you on vacation?

2011-01-04 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3275004

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
CURLING!!!! I remember curling. I used to live in North Bay Ontario and that was one of my favorite activities. Just about the most fun one can have on  ice if I remember! 

Thanks for the memory!

Erin

kcgolf - 2011-01-03 3:03 PM Hope everyone is having a great start to the week.

I am off to my curling league - looking forward to it.

KC
2011-01-04 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Got both the swim and bike in yesterday!  Did the swim, came home and ate something and about an hour later my fiance and I hit spin class.  Feeling it today.

Have 1750 yds in the pool on tap today.  Looking for a laminated sheet of paper that I can use to write my workouts on for poolside reference.

2011-01-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3276165

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
robburkett - 2011-01-04 9:30 AM

Got both the swim and bike in yesterday!  Did the swim, came home and ate something and about an hour later my fiance and I hit spin class.  Feeling it today.

Have 1750 yds in the pool on tap today.  Looking for a laminated sheet of paper that I can use to write my workouts on for poolside reference.

Rob,For my pool workouts I use a ziplock bag. I just slide the paper in, zip it up and I'm good to go. Plus, it sticks to the mounts on the side of the pool.
2011-01-04 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
i have a question.

my HIM is in may.  my training plan says to ride two days per week for 1 hr and one long ride per week of 30-50 miles.  does that seem like enough bike training?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76