BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-02-05 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3340646

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED
kerux - 2011-02-05 2:17 PM
Tim.amo - 2011-02-04 4:06 PM So this was my first week of focused training.  I downloaded program and started it on monday.  I swam twice, did a BRICK on tuesday (thinking I wouldn't make it Wed due to snow), ran on Wednesday (set a personal best for 3 miles on the tradmill), swam on thursday and rode the stationary bike today.  Whew... 
I'm hoping to run again this weekend, weather provided. 
I signed up for a 10K in March.  This will be my first race EVER -- woohoo!!!  My first TRi will take place at my LifeTime gym in April. 
I'm planning on doing a sprint in May or June in preparation for the NJ State Olympic in July -- my "goal" race.  If I survive that one (and can still smile), I'll look forward to at least one to end up the season.  I'm quite excited and motivated -- I hope it lastsUndecided

Nice job!  Keep up the good work and there will be plenty of smiles.

x2!

2011-02-05 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3271854

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Corey? How is the pulled muscle?
2011-02-05 9:08 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I saw my surgeon last week and got the all clear to start some real strength work in preparation for a return to an active me!   Yay!!!!!!!!

My PT has me doing much stuff, which could conceivably chew up two hours every day.
This thrills me.....you have no idea.

Maybe eventually you will actually have a mentor that can DO something?? 
2011-02-05 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3341084

aquagirl - 2011-02-05 10:06 PM Corey? How is the pulled muscle?

It still hurts, probably because I still go to work on me feet all day, moving in ways that make me want to cry, and so it isn't getting as rested as it should.  The ice pack and ibuproffen are my friends right now.  And I'm getting cranky from missed workouts Frown
2011-02-06 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3341108

User image

On your right
As far as bricks, it's really up to you if you think you should do some.  I agree with Helen that the runs should be fairly short, and not done with much intensity or frequency.

The goal of a brick should be to figure out how your legs will feel after a bike.  You know that you can't go all out on the bike because you have to run, but it is nice to have an idea on how hard to push your bike and still be able to run.  A very good saying in triathlon is "there is no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run."

This really points to the fact that if you have a bad run, you went too hard on the bike, didn't fuel right on the bike, etc.  So even if you have a great bike time, if it hurts your run, you've then had a bad bike in terms of pacing.  So getting the feeling of the rubbery leg run is nice just so you know what to expect, but it's even better to figure out bike pacing. 

Corey, you can still work out, just take it easy on the leg.  You can do pull sets in the pool along with plenty of fist drill. 

Fist drill is when you swim with your hands in a fist.  This really reduces your ability to "catch" water with your open hand, and it helps you get a feel for the pull with your arm and can also help reinforce the high elbow, and early vertical forearm (EVF, if you read lots of swimming info).  Once you get comfortable with the fist drill swimming, you'll find that when you go back to opening your hands, that it feels like you've got paddles on your hands and you just fly through the water.

Also, speaking of opening your hands.  I read an article a number of months back that talks about the best way to hold your hand/fingers in the water to get the most pull.  The main point was that if you keep your fingers slightly apart, you'll actually pull more water than with your fingers together and a cupped hand.  I would be happy to share the article if people would like to see it.
2011-02-06 2:51 PM

User image

Ohio
First 2 days of business trip to Naples Florida not that bad.   Starbucks perfect oatmeal Dayton airport - Moes veggie soft taco - atlanta airport.    Was able to stop at a target and get some snacks.  Got in a 30 minute run last night 70 degrees wide sidewalk - flat and went on forever.  ran faster than normal, but it felt great.  

Day 2 - Instant oatmeal and raisens - banana, V8 - Bison meatloaf at Teds Montana Grill for lunch.   Got in a swim today & the hotel had FREE beach comber bikes.   Rode to the mall for lunch and back about 30 minutes each.  

I start a 20 hour day at 2:00 am tonight.   so i'm off to get some sleep. 

2011-02-07 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3341736

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
asuit - 2011-02-06 3:51 PM First 2 days of business trip to Naples Florida not that bad.   Starbucks perfect oatmeal Dayton airport - Moes veggie soft taco - atlanta airport.    Was able to stop at a target and get some snacks.  Got in a 30 minute run last night 70 degrees wide sidewalk - flat and went on forever.  ran faster than normal, but it felt great.  

Day 2 - Instant oatmeal and raisens - banana, V8 - Bison meatloaf at Teds Montana Grill for lunch.   Got in a swim today & the hotel had FREE beach comber bikes.   Rode to the mall for lunch and back about 30 minutes each.  

I start a 20 hour day at 2:00 am tonight.   so i'm off to get some sleep. 

Ugh. I thought I worked crappy hours....... 
2011-02-07 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3341085

User image

New user
aquagirl - 2011-02-05 8:08 PM I saw my surgeon last week and got the all clear to start some real strength work in preparation for a return to an active me!   Yay!!!!!!!!

My PT has me doing much stuff, which could conceivably chew up two hours every day.
This thrills me.....you have no idea.

Maybe eventually you will actually have a mentor that can DO something?? 

Yay!!  Laughing
2011-02-07 8:56 AM

User image

New user
Thanks so much for all the info on bricks.  I may do just a couple towards the end.  I joined a short term group for triathlon training with a mini-tri at the end, just meets a couple of times.  I'm pretty excited!
2011-02-08 3:57 PM

User image

On your right
How's the training going for everyone?

Corey, how's the leg?

Helen, how's work?
2011-02-08 4:17 PM

User image

Cincinnati
I had a great swim/run yesterday.
Going for a run after work, which is right about now!!

Doug

2011-02-08 7:47 PM

The leg feels great today...because it was my day off and I did NOTHING.  I needed to catch up on sleep from a bad overnight shift followed by the weekly early morning meeting.  But when I am up and walking around all day, there is still pain.  It's getting better, but not 100% yet.  Planning on getting back in the pool tomorrow and maybe a short cycle, definitely need to get on some weight training.  And since I have had a terrible work schedule the last few days, the eating well has gone out the window, so back on that tomorrow, too.
I feel like crud from no workout, bad sleep, and too much junk food.  At least it's a cruddy feeling that I know how to get rid of.
2011-02-08 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3345750

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
dughogue - 2011-02-08 5:17 PM I had a great swim/run yesterday.
Going for a run after work, which is right about now!!

Doug

Go for it!
Nice to see your smiling face.........nice avatar! 
2011-02-08 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3346034

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
cbredderman - 2011-02-08 8:47 PM The leg feels great today...because it was my day off and I did NOTHING.  I needed to catch up on sleep from a bad overnight shift followed by the weekly early morning meeting.  But when I am up and walking around all day, there is still pain.  It's getting better, but not 100% yet.  Planning on getting back in the pool tomorrow and maybe a short cycle, definitely need to get on some weight training.  And since I have had a terrible work schedule the last few days, the eating well has gone out the window, so back on that tomorrow, too.
I feel like crud from no workout, bad sleep, and too much junk food.  At least it's a cruddy feeling that I know how to get rid of.

Dont be too hard on yourself.......a few days of crap eating is not gonna break you!

Glad your leg is on the mend. 
2011-02-08 8:31 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
My hips are sore.
My quads are sore.

I guess this is a good thing?
Been a long time since I had any muscle soreness..........I had forgotten how it felt. 
2011-02-09 12:52 AM

Got a couple of tri's picked out finally!  Doing two small local ones with a pool swim.  June 11th and July 23rd.  Then planning on doing an open water swim one on July 2nd.  Only thing is, the swim is in a river so I'm not too thrilled about swimming in the yucky Rock River here.  If all goes well I may sign up for a bigger tri.  But the best part that I am really excited about is I got my friend doing the tri's with me.  Funny thing is, she's the one who inspired me to get into tri's and now I'm inspiring her to get back into them.  Amazing how these sort of things are contagious!

2011-02-09 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3346298

User image

On your right
srja - 2011-02-09 1:52 AM Got a couple of tri's picked out finally!  Doing two small local ones with a pool swim.  June 11th and July 23rd.  Then planning on doing an open water swim one on July 2nd.  Only thing is, the swim is in a river so I'm not too thrilled about swimming in the yucky Rock River here.  If all goes well I may sign up for a bigger tri.  But the best part that I am really excited about is I got my friend doing the tri's with me.  Funny thing is, she's the one who inspired me to get into tri's and now I'm inspiring her to get back into them.  Amazing how these sort of things are contagious!

Having someone to race with is great motivation to train.  Don't worry too much about the river swim, think instead that unless the RD (race director) is a real jerk, you'll have a current to help you along.
2011-02-09 8:35 PM

Made it to the pool this morning for a swim, felt much better today.  The leg is feeling better after some real resting (I don't think that running around a bookstore in heels pushing carts loaded with books, or mopping  for an hour then carrying 40-50 pound boxes of books for another 2 hours really quaified as resting the leg).
Still holding off on running or spinning for a couple more days.
I found an article with a begginer swim workout schedule, so I'm going to try that out and see how it goes, probably starting tomorrow morning.
Weigh in tomorrow, too (the weightloss group that I joined weighs in on Wednesday, but I forgot to do it this morning).  Then something new on Friday because I got a coupon for Dick's that I need to use...new clothes, or goggles that don't suck?  It'll be a tough decision.
2011-02-09 8:52 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Rough day here.  I have an infection in my right knee.  Bunch of antibiotics and hopefully it will clear quickly.  If not needles and knives are on deck.
2011-02-10 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3348028

kerux - 2011-02-09 9:52 PM Rough day here.  I have an infection in my right knee.  Bunch of antibiotics and hopefully it will clear quickly.  If not needles and knives are on deck.

My pulled muscle suddenly seems like nothing.
Hope the antibiotics work and you get feeling better!
2011-02-10 7:58 AM

User image

On your right
kerux - 2011-02-09 9:52 PM Rough day here.  I have an infection in my right knee.  Bunch of antibiotics and hopefully it will clear quickly.  If not needles and knives are on deck.

If you want to come by, I'll cut some holes in you and pour some bleach in.  That should clear you right up.

Corey, (and all) if you're goggle shopping, be sure to put the goggles on your face to check for a good fit.  Without putting the strap around your head, just open your eyes wide, put the goggles to your eyes, relax your face/eyes, and if it's a good fit, the goggles should stick to your face for a couple seconds.  If not, they aren't a good fit and you should keep checking different models.  That being said, some do come with a nose bridge that you can change, so you might want to check that out too.  Swimming is difficult enough without poor fitting goggles screwing you up as well.

2011-02-10 8:18 AM

Made it to the pool this morning and did some drills.  Not a big fan of any of them, so I guess that means I need to work on them until they don't feel so awakward.  I did the fist drills that Chad explained, 'catch up', and kicks.  By the last lenth of fist, I had gotten into a rhythm and was moving pretty well, so I'm hoping that I can get to that point a little quicker next time.  Then I wandered around the weight room and tried out some machines that I had never used before, all upper body stuff.  I like the assisted pull up and dip machine...someday maybe I won't need the assist of more than half my body weight...someday maybe I won't need the assist at all!

Chad-the goggle issue isn't leaking, it's that the goggles that the coating on the outside is coming off, which makes it harder to see, and they fog up insanely fast, especially considering that they are supposed to be anti-fog.  I won't be buying this kind again.
2011-02-10 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3348367

User image

On your right
An easy fix for goggle fogging is baby shampoo.  Just a little drop in each lens, then smear it all around and rinse WELL. 

My goggle type that I wear is Speedo Vanquisher.  I've used the regular and the pro or performance...something like that.  Both work great for me.

And the joy of dips!  They used to be one of my favourite exercises back in college.  I used to wear a weight belt with an additional 85 pounds of weight hanging from it to get a good workout in, plus my playing weight of 295.  I miss being able to lift huge weights, but I don't miss how smelly an old football weightroom gets to be.
2011-02-10 2:55 PM

User image

New user
kerux - 2011-02-09 7:52 PM Rough day here.  I have an infection in my right knee.  Bunch of antibiotics and hopefully it will clear quickly.  If not needles and knives are on deck.

Aw man, that sucks!  Take care of that, I hope the meds work!
2011-02-10 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3348968

User image

New user
Chaderbox - 2011-02-10 11:44 AM An easy fix for goggle fogging is baby shampoo.  Just a little drop in each lens, then smear it all around and rinse WELL. 

My goggle type that I wear is Speedo Vanquisher.  I've used the regular and the pro or performance...something like that.  Both work great for me.

And the joy of dips!  They used to be one of my favourite exercises back in college.  I used to wear a weight belt with an additional 85 pounds of weight hanging from it to get a good workout in, plus my playing weight of 295.  I miss being able to lift huge weights, but I don't miss how smelly an old football weightroom gets to be.

Good to know!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19