Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2011-04-23 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED
Good luck on your marathon this weekend, Tim ?(WeberTP)!!

2011-04-23 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3461829

User image

NH

chopadog83 - 2011-04-22 10:48 PM I went on the longest run of my life tonight, 1:12 I was a little disappointed I didn't get to 8 miles but oh well. I kept my HR around 131 most of the run and it jumped to 141 the last 10 minutes. Good stuff. Now I'm going to try and not over do it tomorrow. I'm snowshoeing and snowboarding the majority of the morning and then I have to go on my long bike ride tomorrow. Followed by another day of snowboarding at a resort and another run that evening. We'll see if I have to adjust my plan.
That's a great run, and without water!  Sounds like a busy day today as well. 

2011-04-23 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3461024

User image

NH

DirkP - 2011-04-22 1:27 PM.Jeff, What are your thoughts for a HM taper?  How long? And how much should I back down for the bike and swim during those 2 weeks that I have planned?
I'm curious about this as well.  I have my HM next Sunday, and I cut my long run down to 8 this week.  I don't really know what to do in terms of biking this weekend/next week.

I'm planning some shortish runs with a few strides mixed in during the week, but nothing over 4 miles.  I really missed the month of February with the new job, so with only 8 weeks of real prep I'm not at my best run fitness but I do feel ready.  Hoping to hold 8:35 for the race, and also hoping to negative split.

2011-04-23 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Its been a minute ince my last check-in so I thought I would leave an update.  After the earlier discussion about not doing enough I decided to switch from a sprint plan to an olympic plan.  This would still put me on target for an olympic in late August and still be prepared for sprint in June.  My complaint of not feeling tired or the fact I did not work out enough is gone!  After the 1st week of the olympic 3X plan I was looking forward to the rest day instead of thinking I wasn't doing enough.   I did miss some of the bike because of weather and time but still not bad.  Here are my results

S:  
1810.85 Yd 1h 18m ,, B: 13.8Mi, 1h 02m  ,,  R: 3.4 Mi 36m 36s, Strenght: Completed speed lift (1500lb in 20m)

I'm most impressed with the swim.  I just started swimming in early march and could only go 1 "Length" of the pool without sucking air (Or water).  2 months later I am finishing multiple "Laps" and only taking short breaks before starting again.

As for the recent discussion on heart rate, I'm not sure how you can worry about heart rate.  I'm happy if I finish the time and there is still a heart beat period!  Cool

Thanks for the advice it gave me the push needed to go to the next step.

2011-04-23 8:44 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Nice job Matt.  I was exactly in your shoes two years ago.  I also wanted to train hard.  I also hurt myself pretty bad over and over again.  I know you're just joking...but consider a heart rate monitor for the run.  It really did help me stay in check so I wasn't going too hard for my experience level.  It still keeps me in check on my longer runs.

Again, nice job and keep up the good work!

2011-04-24 12:12 PM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk
My youth is reclaimed and not only in my mind.  I surpassed my goal of 4h38 by 6 min I came in at 4h 32min, 10:22 average.  Great first 18+ then I drifted about 1-1.5 min per mile.  No huge HR change, ave 157bpm which is my norm at distance.  After a few days rest it back to training.

2011-04-24 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on leg/arm shaving.
2011-04-24 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3463219

User image

NH

webertp - 2011-04-24 1:12 PM My youth is reclaimed and not only in my mind.  I surpassed my goal of 4h38 by 6 min I came in at 4h 32min, 10:22 average.  Great first 18+ then I drifted about 1-1.5 min per mile.  No huge HR change, ave 157bpm which is my norm at distance.  After a few days rest it back to training.

Awesome job.  Now the bar is set to surpass the goals we set!

2011-04-24 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3463513

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
wbayek - 2011-04-24 7:40 PM

webertp - 2011-04-24 1:12 PM My youth is reclaimed and not only in my mind.  I surpassed my goal of 4h38 by 6 min I came in at 4h 32min, 10:22 average.  Great first 18+ then I drifted about 1-1.5 min per mile.  No huge HR change, ave 157bpm which is my norm at distance.  After a few days rest it back to training.

Awesome job.  Now the bar is set to surpass the goals we set!

X2  Way top snap an 24 year old record.

2011-04-24 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3463261

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

bdj6020 - 2011-04-24 2:04 PM I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on leg/arm shaving.

I haven't done any shaving yet but I have considered it.  I never thought I would do in until I started wearing running tights and riding in them too. Now, when wearing said tights, my legs itch a lot more.  I am not sure if I would ever actually do the shaving thing because I am not sure I could take the verbal abuse from some the people I work and hang with.

Besides, from my perspective I doubt I will be doing any placement on the podium for any decent sized races, so the "cutting time" benefit wouldn't be real practical.

2011-04-25 9:47 AM

User image

NH

bdj6020 - 2011-04-24 2:04 PM I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on leg/arm shaving.

I can't ever fathom shaving.  But then again, 18 months ago I wouldn't have ever thought I'd wear spandex as frequently as I do or run 35 miles in one week.

2011-04-25 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3463549

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
I'm pretty much in the same boat Dirk.  Interestingly enough when I wear tights in the winter the hair on my knees gets rubbed off.
2011-04-25 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3463219

User image

webertp - 2011-04-24 10:12 AM My youth is reclaimed and not only in my mind.  I surpassed my goal of 4h38 by 6 min I came in at 4h 32min, 10:22 average.  Great first 18+ then I drifted about 1-1.5 min per mile.  No huge HR change, ave 157bpm which is my norm at distance.  After a few days rest it back to training.

That's awesome!! Great job!!

2011-04-25 12:40 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

First of all....congrats Tim!  That's a fantastic race.  Did it snow at all?

The shaving thing:  I always find this sort of a funny topic to discuss.  Two years ago I started using rocktape (kineseo tape) on my right shin and left knee to help rehab annoying injuries that I had from running too much, too soon, like an idiot.  After about five times of using the tape and tearing my hair out, I clippered the areas on my right shin and around my left knee.  Now if you think about what it looks like to have one bare shin and one bare knee...not too attractive in shorts.  So that's about when my GF decided it was smarter to just buzz both legs.  After buzzing both legs, it was very annoying to sleep with leg hair that was a mil. long, so I shaved them.  I don't do it in the winter.  My GF says it makes my legs look "strong and hot" and trust me, I'm all about it.  Yeah...it's mostly a vanity thing.

If you want excuses to tell your coworkers, 1.  Yes, it is easier to bandage/clean a leg with no hair in the wound.  2.  The wetsuit comes off your legs like a hot knife through butter.  3.  kinesio tape over hair is just the wrong thing to do.

2011-04-25 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3464298

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

bdj6020 - 2011-04-25 11:02 AM I'm pretty much in the same boat Dirk.  Interestingly enough when I wear tights in the winter the hair on my knees gets rubbed off.

To quote my fiance..."that's hot".

Just shave 'em.  If you/your SO doesn't like it, let it grow back...only takes a month or so.

2011-04-25 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3460176

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-22 5:51 AM .....and then yesterday I go run almost five miles at 9:40 pace in a wind storm at only 149 bpm.  Going by heart rate isn't always consistent.  If your pace chages, it doesn't mean your effort changes also.

Sorry for my spotty attention folks.  I moved this weekend (but usually don't spend much time online over the weekend anyway).  I just had another 3 days in a row of no workouts.  Yuck.  Felt great this morning though.

Ok...on to your comment...Yes, heart rate is notoriously inconsistent.  But then again, so is our body's ability to perform from day to day with varying levels of training stress (other types of stress too), diet, sleep, temperature, humidity...

Some would suggest that heart rate is the best way to gauge all of this.  But I prefer perceived exertion.  It sounds super subjective.  But it may be more consistent than heart rate.  Case in point: I find that my perceived exertion is relatively high sometimes while running at a measley 6.5mph.  I will be slightly uncomfortable, winded feeling.  Then I will check my heart rate and see 129bpm.  Other days at the same speed I will feel light and effortless with no sense of needing air and my heart rate will say 140.  It has got to be a situation where my perceived exertion is lower when the heart is supplying more oxygenated blood.  There is something either inconsistent or wrong with my sympathetic nervous system.  Perhaps it's just me, or perhaps we are all like that.

I think being a slave to heart rate can have the same down side that being a slave to a power meter can.  On those good days that could be a really valuable hard workout (or fast race) we hold ourselves back with a false sense of what our capability really is that day. 

Dirk hit the nail on the head a little further back when describing his typical easy training pace.  He could comfortably hold a conversation and felt like he could go that speed all day long up until the point that the leg muscles themselves gave out.  IMO, that subjective measurement of 'easy' trumps anything his heart rate is saying.

2011-04-25 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3461024

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
DirkP - 2011-04-22 12:27 PM

Long run complete for the week.  Now I have a 3-a-day workout for tomorrow and on Sunday a brick on the agenda. 

The run was planned 12 but I went for 13 instead because I would like to get a couple weeks of 30 mpw before I begin my race taper for the HM.  If I can put off another recovery week for an additional 2 weeks, than I would have a solid 2 weeks for a taper. 

Jeff, What are your thoughts for a HM taper?  How long? And how much should I back down for the bike and swim during those 2 weeks that I have planned?

I know that in principle, triathlon training decreases your performance as a single sport athlete...once you are on the cutting edge of fitness.

During your build, when you were reaching for your highest mileage runs, if there was any sense at all of the run volume being limited because you had other bike/swim workouts to do then you could have, at that time, dropped some of the other training in favor of running.   During your 'taper', the only concern is that you not do enough of bike/swim training to have any unfinished workout recovery left to accomplish on race morning.  In fact, that's the entire goal of a 'taper'.  Most people over taper.  The idea is that for an athlete that is on the path to a new higher level of fitness, this is accomplished by what we term 'progressive overload'.  The body is challenged to do more than it's already adapted to do.  By definition, this leaves you in a weakened state. 

Your rate of recovery is more or less constant.  Meaning that a couch potato 'recovers' at the same rate as an elite athlete.  however, every individual has variability in this area and often the elite athletes are those who rise to the top specifically due to a superhuman recovery ability.  So the couch potato that does a .5 mile jog--aside from being sore--will have fully replenished glycogen stores and be recovered the next day.  The cardiovascular system is fully ready to go...because their fitness level was so low the total amount of work done was small.

An elite athlete who does a 20 mile run in 2 hours may not be fully recovered for 5 days.  And even though he/she still trains during those days, the training intensity is so low (for them) that they still continue their recovery process.

What that boils down to this this:  Elite athletes doing 100mpw of running need a notable taper to be at their peak on race morning.  The fitness jogger doing a race may just take it easy for 1 day prior to the race.  The only goal is to be fully recovered from all prior training.

So your prescription for a taper depends on how much your recent training has been stressing your body.  Or put another way, how deep a hole have you dug that needs to be climbed out of?  Odds are that you would be fine for a Saturday HM if you didn't ride your bike after Wednesday that week and did an easy 5 mile run on Thursday then on Friday (day before the race) you can swim and/or do a full warm-up run...1 - 1.5 miles with perhaps 3 strides.  Then eat BIG!

2011-04-25 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

bdj6020 - 2011-04-24 1:04 PM I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on leg/arm shaving.

Now you did it! 

First, I want to say that there is no sport-specific reason that you SHOULD shave.

Now....that said, I prefer it.  I was a competitive cyclist for a few years back in the late 80s.  If you had hairy legs you were ridiculed.  If you can win the race and wanted to do that with hairy legs then you could probably have been forgiven.

Since then, I just don't feel right showing up on a bike with hairy legs.  I will say that in the mtn bike community it's acceptable to have hairy legs.  Perhaps 50/50 around here.

As a triathlete, I tend to think of myself more as a cyclist, a runner and a swimmer than just a triathlete.  So as a 'cyclist', I shave my legs.  As a swimmer, I shave my legs (swimming is a lot like mtn biking...50/50 at swim meets except at big championship races).

I have come to think that hairy legs look bad.  At this point I feel free to choose hairy legs but just don't think they look good. 

I've shaved my arms, but tend to just trim that as necessary to keep from having arm hair be the first thing I notice when I look in the mirror.

What probably matters most is what the woman in your life thinks.  (I'm assuming the women here shave!)

2011-04-25 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Question regarding level of effort during workouts.  I am not training with a heart rate monitor now (don't feel at my current level I would benefit that much from using one - just one more thing to confuse me and worry about). I am currently following the BT Oly Tri training program 2 workouts of S/B/R each week, 1 'short' and 1 'long' workout.  What level of effort (on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the easiest effort, 10 being the most/hardest effort) would your short and long workout be?  I find myself having a hard time taking it easier on the long workouts especially on the bike - probably because I feel that is my weakest link. 
2011-04-25 5:50 PM

User image

NH

In my (limited) opinion, with 2 workouts per week all my running would be at an easy pace.  There's too much chance to injure if you up intensity on such light frequency. 

As far as the bike, there's a lot more leeway.  I think you can push the bike pretty hard and not only stay healthy but recover pretty quickly.  And intervals on the bike work wonders. 

Swimming can always be done as intervals, just work on form above all else.  With proper form there's little chance of injury, though some people do have shoulder issues which can be exacerbated while swimming.

2011-04-25 6:27 PM

User image

Expert

If you're contemplating shaving just to avoid itchiness, you might want to consider the itch-factor of stubble! The first several times you shave, it itches like mad when it regrows - unless you're going to shave every day to reduce that little side effect.

I had 3 days in a row without workouts this weekend too! It's difficult around the holidays to balance travelling and family time - especially when it's raining non-stop. It's supposed to be another wet week around here too. This is not been very nice for training, to put it mildly.

2011-04-25 6:29 PM

User image

Expert

I have someone who wants to take a look at my tubular carbon wheelset tomorrow. I told him I want $350 for it, including tires. Is that reasonable? There isn't anything like them on eBay for me to really compare it to. I don't really care about getting top dollar, but I don't want to give them away and have him turn around and sell them to someone else for double either.

2011-04-25 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3464914

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2011-04-25 3:16 PM
DirkP - 2011-04-22 12:27 PM

Long run complete for the week.  Now I have a 3-a-day workout for tomorrow and on Sunday a brick on the agenda. 

The run was planned 12 but I went for 13 instead because I would like to get a couple weeks of 30 mpw before I begin my race taper for the HM.  If I can put off another recovery week for an additional 2 weeks, than I would have a solid 2 weeks for a taper. 

Jeff, What are your thoughts for a HM taper?  How long? And how much should I back down for the bike and swim during those 2 weeks that I have planned?

So your prescription for a taper depends on how much your recent training has been stressing your body.  Or put another way, how deep a hole have you dug that needs to be climbed out of?  Odds are that you would be fine for a Saturday HM if you didn't ride your bike after Wednesday that week and did an easy 5 mile run on Thursday then on Friday (day before the race) you can swim and/or do a full warm-up run...1 - 1.5 miles with perhaps 3 strides.  Then eat BIG!

I have actually been thinking about this very thing recently.  (Probably because my legs have been shot from last weekends long ride.)  After my long runs and rides it does seem like my legs come back "fairly" quickly given some rest.  The way tings are going recently though, my legs get little recovery time from the bike.  Usually I have to ride 3 days straight because the lap times at my pool can get really STUPID and getting time there is dictated to me rather being flexible.  I also want to stay focused on the run a little bit more than the bike because that is my primary focus until after my next marathon.

Given all of those things above, I would probably be fine to taper for 2 weeks on the run and a smaller reduction on the swim and bike.

Edited by DirkP 2011-04-25 9:01 PM
2011-04-25 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3465342

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

gti123 - 2011-04-25 6:20 PM Question regarding level of effort during workouts.  I am not training with a heart rate monitor now (don't feel at my current level I would benefit that much from using one - just one more thing to confuse me and worry about). I am currently following the BT Oly Tri training program 2 workouts of S/B/R each week, 1 'short' and 1 'long' workout.  What level of effort (on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the easiest effort, 10 being the most/hardest effort) would your short and long workout be?  I find myself having a hard time taking it easier on the long workouts especially on the bike - probably because I feel that is my weakest link. 

As Warren said, I wouldn't do much intensity on the run.  The best thing to do there, if you can, try to get a third run in during the week.  I would try to get your weekly mileage up to 10-13 miles or so, consistently.  Looking at your logs, if you add intensity you may very well cause injury in the medium to long term.

The bike will have much more latitude for intensity since the shock to the body will be greatly decreased.  Again you have to do it smartly.  Make your longer rides a little lower key than the short rides but the intensity can still be there.  Just plan on doing a lot of other lower intensity immediately before and after the shorter hard work.  Your shorter rides can have more intensity but the workouts need to be pretty focused, i.e. time or distance at a certain HR or PE for the workout.

Swim can be a little tough in my opinion.  If you do too much intensity with bad form you are going to have injury issues sneak up on you.  Always have a good solid WU before doing any hardcore sets in the water.   Keep the intense sets at a short distance too, then work up to 100's if you are not used to swimming much.

2011-04-25 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3465463

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trysprintolympic - 2011-04-25 6:29 PM

I have someone who wants to take a look at my tubular carbon wheelset tomorrow. I told him I want $350 for it, including tires. Is that reasonable? There isn't anything like them on eBay for me to really compare it to. I don't really care about getting top dollar, but I don't want to give them away and have him turn around and sell them to someone else for double either.

What brand and model? And how old?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64