BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-05-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3475565

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

DENISE -

Very fine run paces! And in the wind and rain, sometimes a lot of time is pent working on the basics -- staying upright and at least moving forward. That DNS/DNF number speaks volumes, accounting for what -- about 35% or so?

Jeff's right -- take the 9/9 and go with it. And if you're still not convinced, look at your overall placement --- mighty impressive for someone in Ben Ewers' age group!

On that note, I had forgotten he was aging-up. I guess I should genuflect in his general direction, as he sure done good last season. FWIW, he was the 6th best 64-year old in the USAT rankings.

2011-05-01 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3475580

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

Your comment makes me think of the adage that goes something like "Character is what is done when no one is looking" . So, maybe getting around the idea of not pushing ourselves because it matters to no one else might be accomplished by viewing it as a kind of quiet "character statement". Hmmm.

I can't claim to be brimming with character, but my approach to pushing hard is alopng the lines of having to look myself in the mirror afterwards. That sort of thinking usually gets my attention, and helps me keep my pushing pretty hard at all times. I think.

I also have to be able to look Lynn in the eyes and be able to tell her that the cost involved in the race I just finished was well worth it because I took it seriously and worked hard throughout it. Come to think of it, that might carry more weight than "character" or "lookng at myself in the mirror"! Ack!

2011-05-01 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3461537

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - WIDE OPEN ("huddled masses" welcome!)

stevebradley - 2011-04-21 6:04 PM TRINA - Focus is a HUGE personal strength. Embrace it! Honor it!! Cherish it!!! Now, on to the foot stuff. For arch type, the best test is the "wet test". If you google this you will probably find a concise description at either Runners World or maybe Road Runner Sports....but I will give you my best non-concise one. Get you feet wet, but not saoking; after a shower, or a few minutes after a swim is best. If you have a dark floor, especially laminate, that will show it well. Short of that, a paper grocery bag will do the trick. The "it" two sentences before this one is your foot image, which will come up nicley if your foot is damp. You can either stand naturally on the paper bag, or pad around a bit on the floor -- and then look to see the image of your foot. Hereit is baest to try to find a drawing of foot images on line, but essentially there are three broad types: 1.) A high arch will appear as almost two discrete parts of the foot, the forefoot and the heel, connected by a narrowish band, which is your outer arch. 2.) A low arch will appear as one "blocky" foot, with essentially no space shown between the forefoot and the heel. 3.) A medium arch will be...you guessed it! Somewhere between the two above. This works best for people at the extremes -- the one with very high arches in which there is a gap between heel and forefoot, and the one with very flat feet, in which the blockiness is complete. The middel ground can get confusing, which is why an illustration might help you sort it out. For me, I am somewhere between high and medium, with most illustartions I have seen amking it more obviousl a high arch than a medium one. Onwards! As for degree of pronation, there are a couple of clues. One is from the shoes you have been running in, especially if you got them at a palce that took the time to figure out your running shoe needs. So, if you were put in a Saucony Grid Stabil, and have run without mostly injury-free, then that would tell me that you over-pronate quiet a bit. If you have been in an Asics Cumulus or Nimbus and have been injury-free, that would say that you under-pronate. Another clue is arch type, with a couple general but not infallible correlations in effect. To wit: -- people with high arces are more inclined to under-pronate (supinate) -- people with low arches tend to over-pronate So, if you told me that the wet test showed you having a low arch, but that you love the look of Asics Cumulus, I would tell you to be every careful with that purchase! Now, it IS true that some people with high arches over-pronate (my massage person being one of them), and some people woith low arches don't have a pronation problem at all....but those are some pretty good guidelines to follow. A third clue is injury history, although this is far from perfect. And I won't do a big long list here, but just as examples say thsat illiotibial band problems are more commonly found in people with high arches, while kneecap instability issues are more common in people with low arches. Hip woes, such as what I'm working through now, are alos more common in under-pronators -- and that would be me! And just for the record, pronation is GOOD -- at least to some degree. It is the foot's way of absorbing impact, and so for high-arched folks with feet that don't absorb inpact, they are susceptible to a ange of impact-related injuries; stress fractures are one of them. Too much pronation, however, is not good, as it involves torquing to occur, and this affects the major joints such as ankles and especially knees. Over-pronators also are more prone to "shin splints" as that torquing often causes the perineum (doesn't look right....) to pull away from the shin bone some. Torquing can also lead to Achilles problems. Blah, blah, blah! Too much information?? (Dodn't I warn you not to get me started? .... ?) Onwards! Wear pattern! Turn your trusty running shoes upside down and study where wear is obvious and where wear doesn't seem to have happened at all. Most running shoes have intricate patterning on the bottoms, so you can see where the pattern is still visible, and where it has instead been worn to a smooth surface. This is your crash course in SWI (Shoe Wear Investigation), and when you have all the clinical and forensic evidence, try to describe it to me. I won't get into what kind of wear suggests what type of runner one is; I have to hold onto some secrets, don't I? However, if you can tell me where your wear is happening, I can probably make a decent interpretation. I will, say, though, to focus on the heel and around the ball of the big toe, and that lateral and medial matter some. Whew! I hope this has helped.....and that you managed to stay awake through all of it!

Hey Steve - I FINALLY am getting back to you on my running shoes analysis. It's been crazy busy with my work, and then my banker gave me a vicious case of stomach flu from which I'm still recovering.

Anyway enough with the excuses. I did the wet test. My arch is medium. This was surprising to me, as I had to get fit for orthodics and special shoes 5 months into my triathlon career. (My left arch fell when I was hiking Hadrian's Wall about 10 years ago so that would explain why I had/have problems with my post tibial tendon in my left leg, and thus the orthodics/stability shoe). I was thinking I probably had flat feet. Ultimately the running store, which my orthopedist recommended, put me in a Brooks Ariel running shoe, aka "Frankenstein's Running Shoe." They are huge and it feels like they weigh 3lbs a piece. Worst of all, I don't get to wear all the cool funky florescent colors a lot of runners are sporting these days. I'm stuck with silver and drab gray.

I also did the sole inspection. Given that I mostly run on the treadmill and short distances at that, it was difficult for me to find a lot of wear on the soles, but I did find some. Notably on the ball of the foot - mostly on the outside, but some on the inside. Nothing really on the heel - maybe a tiny, tiny bit but I almost missed it so it can't be that bad. 

The pain I experience during/after running is in my left tib tendon, left ilicus tendon in hip?, and mid to lower back (left side), and almost always when I'm running on asphalt/concrete. I ran on the beach in Galveston with no pain during or post run. I've been sticking to the treadmill (boring!) and haven't ran on pavement for two months except in races, the last of which was today and have no pain post run. 

I wondered if the orthodic in my left shoe may be too much for my foot now that I've lost 40lbs. I asked my orthopedist and orthodics maker and both said no. I also asked my physical therapist and he said probably not, but that he wasn't sure. I just took it for granted that I would need new orthodic inserts when I lost weight....Doesn't it stand to reason that with less mass to correct that the orthodics may be too high? When I'm running I feel like I've got an extra inch under my left shoe that I'm running "over." Like I'm almost hobbling, or have a large rock stuck to the bottom of my left shoe. Strange. Doesn't seem as bad when I'm on a soft surface.

This is all so confusing. Running is something I tolerate, and to have it hurt just takes away any fun I may get out of it. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and concentrating on the fact that I'm building my run base and strengthening my heart and lungs, but it's disheartening when I come away from an already snail's pace run hurting, AND after I've lost 40lbs. /pity party.

On a positive note, I'm able to do hills that I wasn't able to last year, I've increased speed on the bike, and shaved a few seconds off my swims. I'm progressing in everything, and even with all the pain while running I've even managed some improvement on my run times. So...I'm just going to keep on and see what I can do in terms of frequent icing, stretching, core strength building, and running on soft surfaces as much as possible. It could be that I still need to drop more weight in order for the pain to go away, and that wouldn't be surprising as I am still 15lbs overweight according to the "charts." Maybe after I drop another 20lbs I won't be asking these questions.

Finally, I ran a 5K today in the OKC Memorial Marathon with 25,000 people participating. It was super crowded and the weather sucked, but it was a very, very cool feeling to be running in that mass of humanity. I was going to to a 10K with a relay team, but we were one person short. So I was stuck with a 5k. If all goes well I'm going to tackle the half mary next year.

Edited by kickitinok 2011-05-01 3:03 PM
2011-05-01 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3435045

New user

Louisville

Denise,  Great job on your 9/9 record.

Steve,  While I didn't ask the question, I really liked reading your explanaiton about your coaching experiences and how you have been going it solo lately.  It seems like everyone asks me who my coach is and makes me second guess my approach to my first IM but...with a plan created in Beginner Triathlete and lots of input from verterans,  I will press on to finish IMKY with a smile in the daylight. 

Yesterday I ran in the Kentucky Derby Marathon.  Excellent conditions, huge crowd of runners (13,000 mini marathoners + 1557 marathoners).   I ran 4:09;  46/123   for 45-49Men and 548/1557 overall.  This is the first marathon i have trained for since beginning to train for triathlons.  I normally would have run 5-6 days a week but with Tri training, i am only running twice a week and a long run on the weekends. 

I had a good gameplan of running 8:30's but after sticking with the plan through 18, i struggled.  I had a neuroma on my foot after about 12 and stopped at an aid station to grab some gauze and rolled it up and stuck it under the ball of my foot.  I had to adjust it again around 23 but really it was more of a mental challenge.  I just didn't seem to have it.  My intent in running this marathon was to get my endurance up so I can bike more now that the weather is breaking. 

Next on the schedule is a century ride in early June.  I am getting my street bike fitted for areobars on Tuesday and then getting a complete bike fitting.  The goal is to get used to riding areo over the next couple of weeks so I can ride as areo as long as possible during the century. 

Can't wait to get in the pool since my hamstrings aren't being terrible cooperative right now.

2011-05-01 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Congrat's to Michael and Trina on your races this weekend.  Sounds like you both had conditions that were not ideal but you got it done.

All this racing by the "Big Skies Team" is getting me envious.  Despite the "pain" I know I will experience I'm chomping at the bit.

Edited by junthank 2011-05-01 8:16 PM
2011-05-02 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3476473

User image

Champion

MICHAEL -

Hey! Glad you're with us! I wasn't sure if you were going to return....but here you are!

Fine job with KDM, especially with reduced training. Or at least training that is reduced from previous pre-tri marathons -- of which you have done how many? Just curious.

I'll be interested to know if KDM suffered some due to lesser training. The older I get the more I value reduced run training, although I'm still working on striking a happy balance. Overall, though, I cannot susatin big run mileage, so a large part of that happy balance is accepting things mentaly. Not surprisingly, it is always easier when the decision is of one's own free will ------ as opposed to being lower-body-induced.

We can talk more about neuromas, with which I have had problems at times. In fact, I had one removed in Jan. '06, and that was a great thing to do. (! can field questions on that at any time!) Also, Veronica here has had neuroma problems as well. Neuromatics of the World, unite? Rah?

You did well to hold at 8:30s through 18 miles, which as you know is often the point in a marathon at which things begin to fall apart. My brain doesn't want to tackle the math right now, but my instincts tell me that to finish at 4:09 you didn't tumble too far from the 8:30s. Is that right? I will try to accept the math challenge later!

Finally, great plan to get adjusted to the aerobars before the century ride. Unless the weather is deplorable between now and then, you should have lots of time to get comfy in that sweet position. And getting the fitting done correctly is also wise.

Finally-finally, don't get anxious about not having a coach leading into IMLOO. In point of fact, most people who do IM don't have a coach and get by just fine of creating a patchwork from all the information that is so readily available these days. Not surprisingly, that info has increased about 3000-fold in the past seven years since I did IMLP, and I think you'll be fine doubling as your own coach (with a little help from your friends! )

2011-05-02 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3476540

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Me too! Despite having a body that is playing hard-to-get recently, I am probably going to do a local duathlon on Saturday. Stay tuned!

Also on the stay-tuned front, I will continue with the coaching comments......soon? I apologize for leaving it hanging.

2011-05-02 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3476058

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - WIDE OPEN ("huddled masses" welcome!)

TRINA -

Nice to know you're still with us; I had gotten worried!

More details on the 5km, pretty-please? What numbers! It must've taken you about half the time of your actual running time just to get to the start line. Mercy!

There's some stuff to think about vis-a-vis your feet and shoes. For soem reason I'm thinking that a list might be better, so here goes:
1.) Medium arches can flatten, and a stability shoe is a good choice for you.
2.) The orthotics, depending on how they are constructed and "posted" are maybe designed to keep you in a stabilty shoe, as opposed to a heavier motion-control shoe.
3.) The wear pattern as you describe it suggests that the orthotics are doing their job. Without them, I think the odds are decent that you would show more wear on the medial side, which is a cross that over-pronators have to bear.
4.) As it is, it seems that you are hitting lateral, hitting medial, and then going through the ball of the foot to toe-off where you should. Now, I'm trying to picture it all through the lens of your description, but if that's mostly correct, you're doing okay with the foot mechanics!
5.) I probably agree with the other pros who have told you the orthotics are okay. I think most orthotics could accommodate a huge weight-range, and it is likely (?) that the ones you use could serve equally well for someone who is 320 pounds and someone who is 105 pounds.
6.) Orthotics are created according to foot anatomy, and until you age a bunch more years that shouldn't change much. Weight loss, even significant as it has been for you, won't affect your arch structure, how your metatarsals align, if you are prone to bunions....all that good stuff. Our feet have so little "stuff" to them other trhan those 26 (?) bones that it's tough to imagine their bulk decreasing with weight loss. I might be wrong, but that's my guess.

I will also think about those sorenesses you feel. I have had posterior tibial tendonistis before, and here's an intriguing thought -- it has come at times I have gone to a more supportive shoe. The reason why that is intriguing is that if you want to get away from the Ariel due to its bulk and drabness......you might have a reason in an attempt to rid yourself of the p.t.t.

I say this also because it might be -- might be! -- that your orthotics are doing enough correcting to allow you to go with a shoe that is less stable/supportive/bulky. And, actaully, FLASH! I just looked up the Ariel and it's a full motion control shoe, a step beyond stability shoes. For women in Brooks, stability models are Adrenaline, Ravenna, and Trance. The weight of those is, respectively, 9.4oz, 9.0oz, and 10.0oz; the Ariel is 12.3oz. That's a heavy shoe!

ANYHOW, don't do anything radical yet as far as running out and re-shoeing yourself, but let's keep this conversation open and flowing!

There's more to address from your post, but Lynn needs the computer NOW!!!!!!!.............so I'd better vamoose. Bye for now!

2011-05-03 5:29 AM

User image

New user

Hi- I'm looking for some advice on swim workouts. I am comfortable swimming for 1200 or 1500 yds but that is all I do. I was never a swimmer and am looking for ideas on how improve my form and get faster. I would appreciate any tips/workout ideas you might have. Thanks!

Kerri

2011-05-03 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3479062

User image

Champion

KERRI _

Um, ur, uh.....you asked about this way bnack when, yes? Sorry I forgot!

I have just made a conspicuous note to self to address this asap, which will be this evening I hope.

As for doing 1200-1500 straight -- pretty darn good!!!

2011-05-03 9:02 AM

New user

Kerri:  I had asked the same question about swim workouts but forgot all about it until I read your post!  I'm curious to see what soem of the suggestions are.

Congrats to all on their great races!!  Denise:  9/9 1st place age group finishes is fantastic!! 

I've been trying to find some local, less expensive races (most of the one's I find are $100+) so hopefully I can add a couple more to my schedule this season and have more results to post LOL!  I have my first race on 5/14.  I've been picking up the biking and doing hill repeats by my office on my lunch breaks.  Hopefully that will help improve the bike portion of the race.  I'm actually quite nervous about my upcoming race.  I can't quite put my finger on it but the nerves are there. 

Steve:  I had never heard of Newton shoes until you mentioned them in one of your posts to me.  Then I saw on Facebook yesterday that my local running store is doing a runnign clinic tomorrow night and a Newton representative is going to be there with shoes to try.  I've already signed up adn might give them a whirl if there aren't too many people there just to see what they are like.

2011-05-03 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

"Orthotics are created according to foot anatomy, and until you age a bunch more years that shouldn't change much. Weight loss, even significant as it has been for you, won't affect your arch structure, how your metatarsals align, if you are prone to bunions....all that good stuff. Our feet have so little "stuff" to them other trhan those 26 (?) bones that it's tough to imagine their bulk decreasing with weight loss. I might be wrong, but that's my guess."

Steve - Thanks for explaining this to me. All my "pros" have yet to do so, and that's why I've been ruminating on the weight-loss -necessitating-a-change-in-orthodics issue. I DO know that my foot has shrunk in terms of mass, and I now wear a half size smaller shoe in street shoes. Maaayyybe I can go back and get a smaller size in my running shoe....but I'm sure they'd just put me in the same make/model. I will heed your advice and not mess with my running shoes for now, though.

Off the topic, but I need some feedback: I have hired a coach...two months ago, to be precise. He still hasn't met with me in person even though I keep suggesting we get together to work on my swim technique. He's only called once, and that was right before my sprint tri last month. It's kind of like I'm bugging him to coach me. Is this normal? I pay him $160 a month for a workout schedule and that's about it. He charges more for one-on-one coaching, and I'm willing and eager to pay....but he's just......not there. What should I do?

Anyhoo....the weather's beautiful here so I'm off for a 65 minute run on the pavement outside. We will see if I hurt afterwards. Hope not

2011-05-03 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3479062

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Kerri,

Regarding your question about improving your swim form.  On my best days I'm a MOPer swimmer (so I certainly don't claim to be an expert in the water!!).  However, I have found the following 2 websites to be extremely helpful:

1:  http://badig.com/

TJ Fry regularly comments here on BT.  I really enjoy reading his website.  One of the great things that he does is analyze the swim strokes of various novice swimmers (like me) and explain the flaws in their stroke and then give corrective suggestions.  It is worth checking out.

2: http://www.swimsmooth.com/

I just recently came across this website.  Really good articles and videos that are sectioned off by ability (beginner, intermediate, advanced).

Not sure where you can get swim workouts - perhaps other people in this thread can point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

kbullock - 2011-05-03 6:29 AM

Hi- I'm looking for some advice on swim workouts. I am comfortable swimming for 1200 or 1500 yds but that is all I do. I was never a swimmer and am looking for ideas on how improve my form and get faster. I would appreciate any tips/workout ideas you might have. Thanks!

Kerri

2011-05-03 2:02 PM

User image

Alaska

Trina - I just had to respond to your question regarding coaching. I would fire your coach! For $160/month he should be providing a lot of feedback. There are free training plans with detailed workouts on Beginner Triathlete.

It is likely Anchorage has different dynamics than Oklahoma City, but I would imagine you can find similar coaching in both places. I havent hired a coach but have friends that do and they get quite a bit of personalized service for almost half that. I would expect at the very least for that money, he should be consulting with you weekly and modifying your plan accordingly.

And providing direction toward goals, how the races you want to do will complement each other or not. For example one of my friends primary goal is a marathon but shortly after the marathon date she has signed up for a mountain running race, her coach has advised against the mountain running while training for the marathon. (Otherwise, I would be dragging her up a mountain with me!)  Unfortunately this will mean less than optimal training for the mountain run but the marathon is her "A" race this year.

Another friend has a coach that does periodic threshold tests with her. That one lacks a little on providing the swim training but does give her workouts to complete. As well, as advising her weekly, like she had a flu/cold and was "told" not to exercise for several days. Sometimes we do have to be told this otherwise that guilt of missing the workout prevents us from resting to get better.

So what I am saying is for $160/month you should be getting more than a workout. I would recommend shopping around.

2011-05-03 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Veronica - Thanks for the coach input. I've been complaining to my husband that I didn't think this coach was even coming close to meeting my needs, but I didn't know what to expect for $160 a month. I can't believe you brought up your friend having the flu...I just had a horrible stomach flu that lasted three days. On the fourth day I ran a 5K. Not a biggie in terms of physical exertion, but my coach was nowhere to be found to ask. I will call and there's no answer. I will text four or five sentences and I get "OK" as an answer. To make matters worse, this guy is a friend of my brother! Grrrr! I'm so firing him after I do my Oly at the end of this month. Or maybe I could find a different coach to pick up where this one has left off. I think I'll do that - I'm ticked.

2011-05-03 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Also, before I forget, I have a sweat test question: How do I calculate my sweat rate? Nevermind. I just found a formula on the internets. My sweat rate is 20oz per hour. I'm sure this'll change once it heats-up outside. I wonder how frequently I should recalculate my sweat rate? Every 10 degree difference in temperature? I wonder what about humidity? I gets super humid here, and will be in Austin during my first Oly.

I weighed before my 10K run today. I lost 2.6lbs in roughly 1 hr 30 minutes. AND it's not hot outside. Nice crisp air, low humidity with a nice breeze. I can only imagine how much I sweat when it gets hot. I sweat way more than anyone I know.

Edited by kickitinok 2011-05-03 4:07 PM

2011-05-03 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3479872

User image

Concord

In re swim workouts (I think it was Kerri's question and one others):

In addition to the above websites (which look perfectly fine) check out the following:

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swimming.asp

In addition to articles, there are some workouts listed on the lower right side of the page.  I'm going try some of their workouts this evening.

Canon

Edited by CTYoung 2011-05-03 5:40 PM
2011-05-03 7:31 PM

User image

New user

Thank you for the swim websites. I will take a look...
2011-05-03 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3480699

User image

Champion

I've just got time for a quick hit-and-run here, so......

I especially like the swimsmooth site. I once did a oone-on-one with Paul, and it was far and away the best swim coaching i ever received. And his webiste is very true to his in-preson teaching style.

KERRI and SARAH!!!

What are your priorities -- technique or speed? It's probably both, but for each of you, which is the top priority?

Also, do either of you have a good idea of what might be a "time trial" effort for 500 or 1000? If not that, what about for 200 or even 100? That'll help determine the intensity of whatever specialized swim workouts you choose to undertake.

2011-05-04 5:24 AM

User image

New user

I would say that my priority is technique. Although I would like to get faster, I do not want to get into any bad habits with my technique. I do not know a "time trial" time but can get back to you with that information. Thanks!
2011-05-04 5:35 AM
in reply to: #3479436

User image

New user

Sarah,

In response to your search for local triathlons...

We have a Broome County Triathlon in the Binghamton area that is scheduled for July 2nd. I know that you are not that close to Binghamton but with your parents living in Apalachin I thought you might be interested. It is only a sprint tri and is $40.

Kerri

2011-05-04 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3481061

User image

Champion

KERRI -

Don't go out of your way to do a time trial; knowing that you are most interested in technique is a good enough starting point.

You are very smart to try to focus on this now, as soon as possible in your tri "career". Bad swim habits are very difficult to remove or even appreciably alter, so the sooner you get on the path of decent technique, the better. I have several bad habits, with the two worst ones being my kick (I don't generate enough of it from the hips) and my catch (which is too deep). Right behind those two is my pull, wherein I don't fully utilize my optimal pulling surfaces (hand/wrist/forearm continuum). I could go on with some other flawa that are more minor....but you get the idea!

I don't golf, but I've heard more than once that swimming is like golf in that it is so technique-oriented, and that every stroke/shot a person can run through a long checklist of dos and don'ts. So true for swimming, anyhow!

For me, here's the list:
-- hand entry: how far in or out; how deep
-- extention: how far out (avoid a "dead spot"!); do my hands angle up, like a cop stopping traffic, thus providing resistance
-- catch: dropping down at elbow, with hand/forearm forming a "paddle" (good!); arm dropping staright from shoulder (bad!)
-- pull (front): are my elbows high (yay!!) or low and dropped (boo!!); is my pull straight back, or undulating (MUCH discussion about the old-scholl "S-stroke"!!!)
-- pull (back): how far back -- hip or thigh; am I accelerating the pull as I finish
-- recovery: high elbows or low (much discussion here, too)
-- breathing: how often; which sides; full exhale underwater; head position during inhale
-- body roll: even to both sides, regardless of breathing pattern; amount of roll, affecting balance
-- body position: waterline, relative to your forehead; eye focus (down, or 8 feet forward, or 20 feet forward?); hips high
-- kick: where is it generated (hips which is good, knees which is bad); how many beats per stroke cycle (I still can't figure this out); feet close together, or (god forbid) splaying widely and wildly (this is VERY tough to determine for oneslef, as perception is often way off the truth)

What a lot of detail, eh? I put that there to make a point about how complicated swimming can be for mere mortals, but more so to raise a larger point: WHEN WORKING ON TECHNIQUE, FOCUS ON ONLY ONE THING AT A TIME! It may seem boorish of me to put that in upper-case, but I think it is critically important. A big mistake many people make is going into a swim with a four-part Improvement Plan, and trying to do it all at the same time, each length, and ending up screwing up everything.

Quick story to this effect:
Before NYC Tri in '05 I had a one-hour one-on-one with a swim guru named Doug Stern. He was great, pointing out about seven things for me to work on. That was Friday, the race was Sunday, and I fugured I would have a great swim because I had all those new tricks to employ. And I literally tried to do that -- make all those corrections all at once along those 1500m in the mighty Hudson. The story can be much longer here, but the short form is that I had a terrible swim -- much worse than it would've been had I just stuck to my "regular" swim style.

In a way, that experience goes under the category of "NEVER TRY SOMETHING NEW ON RACE DAY!!!!!", but it alos equally reflects the problems that can happen when you try to mix your meds, swim-wise. It's okay to go to the pool for 45 minutes, say, and devote 15 minutes each to three different technique points, but the mistake will come when you try to do all three of them at the same time -- all suffer to some degree.

ANYHOW ---- As you patrol those sites and look for technique-based drills or perceptual hints (you'll discover "arm over a barrel", for one), don't go overboard with trying to be the first kid on your block to collect all of 'em. And DEFINITELY don't get overwhelmed! For sure it's a smorgaboard, the buffet to end all buffets, but just aim for a couple of items for now; when they're good and digested, head back for more!

Finally, as a triathlete you do not need a super-kick! Now, if you have a naturally good kick, or at least have feet that can assume great plantar-flexion, then go for it; otherwise, don't make the kick your first focus for technique. Breathing efficiently is high on a list; effective catch and pull are VERY high on a list!!

How does all this sound to you?

2011-05-04 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3481193

User image

Champion

SARAH -

The one above went to Kerri because of her comments about time trials and not having bad habits, but the rest of it can apply just the same to you -- if technique is your top priority. However, if your form is good and you're after more speed.....then that's a whole other post, just waiting to be birthed!

Let me know, okay?

2011-05-04 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3480462

User image

Champion

TRINA -

I have never done a sweat test, and just go under the assumption that I am moderate to slightly-less-than. What this means to me is that I don't have to pay too much attention to electrolyte retention, which can be a bigger problem for people who sweat lots.

At this point, this can become a very detailed conversation, and a scientific one at that. The main electrolytes we tri-types need to worry about are sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium, with sodium being the biggie. Sodium can be released in sweat (as well as urine), and so during exercise in heat a heavy sweater can lose a fair bit of sodium. (Potassium is less of a problem because it is more effectively stored in cells; same for Mg and Ca, I think.)

I imagine you're aware of ways to keep your sodium levels adequate, ranging from what's in gels and drinks, to things such as salt sticks. It really is pretty easy to keep sodium levels where you wnat them be, even if you sweat more than most people.

It always amazes me to look at gels and see how different the differently companies approach the matter of electrolytes. Two gels in front of me come in 41g size. One has 50mg sodium and 50mg potassium, the other has 100mg sodium and 40mg potassium. A third gel is 38.6g and has 60mg of Na and 15mg of K (is it Na for sodium and K or potassium?). The final gel is 32.9g, and has 40mg of Na....and no potatssium. And I don't have a Powergel right here, but it's amounts are whoppers; I'm think about 41g also, and amyeb 240mg of sodium and 120mg of potassium. So, who's right.....and what exactly IS needed by the average endurance person? Where is the hard-core unrefutable science when you need it??

I'm digressing like a hyena on a feeding frenzy here, but if you go to www.hammernutrition.com and search for info on sodium, you will see that they say that the role of replenishing sodium is vastly overrated -- and not surprisingly, the lowest value for sodium above, the 40mg one, is from a Hammer Gel.

Blah, blah, blah!

I'll stop now before this gets more ridiculous, but let me know where your own thinking is at on this topic. And then we should also address hydration needs for you at some point -- with a quick "teaser" saying that way too many overhydrate before a race, and that too much hydrating during a race can dilute all the desired electrolytes! Ack!

2011-05-04 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3481062

New user

Kerri:

Thanks!  I actually have plans to go to the beach that weekend but I will look for other races in Tioga and Broome county area.  It would be a lot easier on my parents for me, and my son, to go up there then have them drive down to MD anytime I want to do a race.

Thanks again!

Sarah

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57