BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2012-02-22 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3943430

New user
Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED

So far, I have just been increasing my mileage at a very easy pace. At this time last year I had killed my glutes and I could barely run. It was painful. I managed to run my HM but it was not pretty. I allowed my body to heal for a 1-2 months and then I started training for another HM. I guess I increased to quickly again and got shin splints. This time I did not run the HM and decided to take some time off running. This year my main goal was to increase distance slowly and keep every run easy. I stuck to this and have seen some great improvements. With my history I am slightly afraid to add any intensity to my runs but since it has been going well I think that I may add some pick-ups to one of my shorter runs and see how it goes. Overall my goal is to continue running 5 days a week since this has been working really well.

Now, it is time for tri training. I am very excited to jump back in the pool and pick up more biking mileage. Unfortunately it all got pushed back a bit because I got the stomach flu Hopefully tomorrow I can jump on the bike.

The name is not written on my shorts but I think they are Desoto Carrera. Hopefully I can try them out tomorrow

2012-02-23 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

came across a short but decent bare-bones article.  Active.com articles don't cover much, but they do get your brain to comtemplate things...

Here.

2012-02-23 3:37 PM

New user
Subject: Nutrition and weight loss

Robin and others

There is so much info out there about triathlons and nutrition....since I am in weight loss mode, I am particularly focused on calories in recovery drinks, etc, ( accelerade, Endurox, etc.)

Maybe you have come across a resource that address these things with weight management in mind?

Katie

2012-02-23 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Katie-

The items you listed are meant for nutrition during long races.  They keep your energy stores up without having to eat solid foods (or gu -- yuck!) during your race. 

I am no dietician, but my husband lost about 30 pounds last year by triathlon training and watching his portions.  He found that a supplemental smoothie concoction helped him.  He used fastfuel from Lifetime Fitness mixed with his milk in the morning.  I have found that I can get to race weight by eating good meals (high protein, medium carb) and snacks (almonds, cereal) and also having a green smoothie (banana, strawberries, any random fruit will do, oj, spinach and protein powder) after my workouts.  You do want to make sure you have some good carbs and protein POST workout.  That way, your metabolism won't eat up your muscles, but the food you just put in your body. 

Oh, and we usually just buy whatever whey protein is on sale.

I'll keep my eyes out for more articles!

2012-02-26 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Phew.  Life doesn't slow down, does it?  February is almost over already.  I can't believe it.  How are you doing meeting your goals?  I have almost completed my 8 week run focused training and will begin to focus on my half marathon plan next week or so.  (race date is 5/5).  One goal I am proud to say I continue to meet regularly is my midnight cerfew.  I am also able to meet a personal goal of mine to attend the United Cerebral Palsy 2012 kick off meeting for the Cleveland Triathlon.  I'm excited about having a different goal perspective besides just racing my heart out. 

What have you all been up to? 

2012-02-26 10:57 PM

New user

Other goals other then racing?? HAHA!! This is my first year doing triathlons so my goals are pretty race driven at this point.

I just figured out which races I am going to do this year. I am pretty excited. In May I will do a sprint and then in September I will do an Olympic. I finally decided upon doing my olympic as an ocean swim. It is recommended to use a wetsuit.

While at a local tri shop I inquired about renting my wetsuit and the cost is $40 and you get it for 4 days. That seems like a great deal to me. I am thinking that the ocean swim will give me good practice for if I decide to do the HIM next year  

I finally got a chance to jump back in the pool this week. It has been a few months so I was very rusty and sore but it felt really good. I have a big week planned this week and am going to try out my first early morning run outside tomorrow morning and my first brick. Wish me luck!

2012-02-27 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4067751

User image

Expert
C-bus
exercisegirl6 - 2012-02-26 11:57 PM

Other goals other then racing?? HAHA!! This is my first year doing triathlons so my goals are pretty race driven at this point.

I just figured out which races I am going to do this year. I am pretty excited. In May I will do a sprint and then in September I will do an Olympic. I finally decided upon doing my olympic as an ocean swim. It is recommended to use a wetsuit.

While at a local tri shop I inquired about renting my wetsuit and the cost is $40 and you get it for 4 days. That seems like a great deal to me. I am thinking that the ocean swim will give me good practice for if I decide to do the HIM next year  

I finally got a chance to jump back in the pool this week. It has been a few months so I was very rusty and sore but it felt really good. I have a big week planned this week and am going to try out my first early morning run outside tomorrow morning and my first brick. Wish me luck!

There's nothing like figuring out your schedule to give you the butterflies!  Wow!  Olympic in the ocean!  $40 is a GREAT deal.  Take it!

All you early morning people are really showing off!  Someday I'll be like you guys!

2012-03-05 11:58 AM

User image

New user

Keller, TX

4 Weeks until the big race.  The time has really flown by, but I feel that I have worked my butt off to be ready for this.  This week is our last long run, 12 miles.  Then we will begin to taper.

There are 12 of us going down together to run the Zooma half.  I think now is when the rubber meets the road.  Lots of them are throwing in the towel or downgrading to the 5k.  I'm trying to encourage them to press on without being pushy, but it is a fine line!  No matter what happens, we will all have a great time!

2012-03-05 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4080942

User image

Expert
C-bus
Trainerh - 2012-03-05 12:58 PM

4 Weeks until the big race.  The time has really flown by, but I feel that I have worked my butt off to be ready for this.  This week is our last long run, 12 miles.  Then we will begin to taper.

There are 12 of us going down together to run the Zooma half.  I think now is when the rubber meets the road.  Lots of them are throwing in the towel or downgrading to the 5k.  I'm trying to encourage them to press on without being pushy, but it is a fine line!  No matter what happens, we will all have a great time!

exciting!  I don't have a race until the beginning of May.  I'll have to live vicariously through you!  Good on you for sticking to the plan and working towards your race.  I understand your struggle with the delicate balance of "helpful pushing" and being pushy.  A lot of times it boils down to understanding the individual you're talking to. 

Tapering is relaxing and stressful all at the same time.  Enjoy the taper.  Have confidence in your hard work!  Can't wait to hear about your results and race report!

2012-03-07 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Ugh.

It's just one of those weeks.  I have yet another cold, I thought I lost my dog today (I had the entire neighborhood looking for her), and my 1 yr. old bike is making terrible noises AFTER coming back from the bike shop for routine maintennance. 

CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY!

I'm going to bed.  Hope your week is much better than mine is!!!!!

2012-03-08 2:19 PM

New user

UGH! That sucks Robin. I feel like I keep getting sick as well. Just after Christmas I had the flu for a week plus, then I got the stomach flu which knocked me out for 3 days and now it is a cold.

Hope everything starts getting better soon

2012-03-10 10:19 AM

New user

Robin --

Congrats on nationals and feel better soon!!

2012-03-11 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Good morning everybody!  Did you remember the time change (if you have one where you live)?????

Just got back from volunteering at my gym's indoor triathlon.  It was nice to be on the opposite side of race today--helping instead of racing.  Now that the weather is improving, is your motivation picking up?  What's your next race???  Where are you in your training?

I'm still working on a half marathon (May 5), but am finally starting my official Olympic distance training (beginning of June).  This is probably the best base I have ever had.  Now I just have to focus on not burning out.  It's going to be a LLLOOOONNNNGGGG season this year!  I've just picked up another race again--a sprint in July...  yipes!

Hope you're doing well!  Don't forget to track your workouts!  It's the single best motivator there is!

2012-03-11 8:17 PM

New user

The weather is getting warmer but we are also getting more rain. UGH! I find the rain so un-motivating. 

Right now I am working on finding a nice balance of school, family and workouts. It was a lot easier with just running. I find it hardest to fit in swimming. I need to book at least 1.5 hours and I have to travel to the pool. BUT, only 4 more weeks of school and then I will have a ton of time.

Question: How important is strength training to you? I always find that my whole body feels better after doing strength at minimum 2 days per week. The only problem is I have no idea how to fit this in. I am going to keep trying to fit it in, it is just hard.

Question #2: Do you ever feel dizzy after getting out of the pool? I find that after my swim workouts I have to sit on the side of the pool for 5 minutes before standing up. Just wondering if this is normal.

2012-03-11 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4090674

New user

Indoor triathlon?  Never heard of that, but it sure sounds fun....especially something to look forward to in the funk of the winter!  Things are going well here in sunny NC!  I have been plugging along on my 10K training plan (which is this coming Saturday) and also participating in the Ultimate Loser program.  Tomorrow is the last weigh in - 8 weeks has past.  To date, I have lost 21.6 pounds.  Last week we were required to pick up weights totalling the amount of weight we had lost and run around the track and run up and down the stairs.  WHOA!!!  No wonder my times aren't what I want them to be!!!  Speaking of time, I was so wanting to hit a 60 minute time for the 10K, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Two 6.2 mile training runs and my pace is right at 11:00.  So I guess I will be thankful that the good Lord has gotten me this far - besides, it's not like I would even place 3rd in my age group with a 60 minute time!! LOL   Just a personal goal - someday. 

Time has flown so fast that I need to remind myself over and over that there is no better time to start improving on any small thing NOW - because before we know it, tri season will be over again and we'll be chatting about maintenance!

2012-03-11 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4091192

User image

Expert
C-bus
exercisegirl6 - 2012-03-11 9:17 PM

The weather is getting warmer but we are also getting more rain. UGH! I find the rain so un-motivating. 

Right now I am working on finding a nice balance of school, family and workouts. It was a lot easier with just running. I find it hardest to fit in swimming. I need to book at least 1.5 hours and I have to travel to the pool. BUT, only 4 more weeks of school and then I will have a ton of time.

Question: How important is strength training to you? I always find that my whole body feels better after doing strength at minimum 2 days per week. The only problem is I have no idea how to fit this in. I am going to keep trying to fit it in, it is just hard.

Question #2: Do you ever feel dizzy after getting out of the pool? I find that after my swim workouts I have to sit on the side of the pool for 5 minutes before standing up. Just wondering if this is normal.

Ah.  Strength training.  My nemesis.  It is important.  I used to do one strength class per week when I started, but fell off the wagon last year.  I became consumed by the SBR.  Definitely do it if you can.  Last year I didn't and I was injured.  I don't know if there is a correlation or not, but it will keep all of your muscles strong, including those that support the SBR.  There is  a link to strength and core suggestions here.  I'll post it when I find it.  I have one day where I run at the gym and have some extra time to squeeze it in.  Definitely make time for it if you can!

With swimming, I don't get dizzy, however my husband does terribly.  I don't understand why (neither does he).  However, he also doesn't like roller coasters or things that make him feel as if he's going upside down.  He's perfectly fine with airplanes trips, turbulence, and the terrible banking to avoid storms--go figure.  I wear earplugs when I swim.  I have to because of a perforated eardrum.  I have heard earplugs can help you avoid some dizziness in a pool, but that may be urban myth.  It's a cheap suggestion, though, to see if it helps. 

And please keep the rain by you.  We don't need any more, thanks. 

2012-03-11 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4091382

User image

Expert
C-bus
kknickrehm - 2012-03-11 11:21 PM

Indoor triathlon?  Never heard of that, but it sure sounds fun....especially something to look forward to in the funk of the winter!  Things are going well here in sunny NC!  I have been plugging along on my 10K training plan (which is this coming Saturday) and also participating in the Ultimate Loser program.  Tomorrow is the last weigh in - 8 weeks has past.  To date, I have lost 21.6 pounds.  Last week we were required to pick up weights totalling the amount of weight we had lost and run around the track and run up and down the stairs.  WHOA!!!  No wonder my times aren't what I want them to be!!!  Speaking of time, I was so wanting to hit a 60 minute time for the 10K, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Two 6.2 mile training runs and my pace is right at 11:00.  So I guess I will be thankful that the good Lord has gotten me this far - besides, it's not like I would even place 3rd in my age group with a 60 minute time!! LOL   Just a personal goal - someday. 

Time has flown so fast that I need to remind myself over and over that there is no better time to start improving on any small thing NOW - because before we know it, tri season will be over again and we'll be chatting about maintenance! I love this statement!  Improvement isn't easy.  It isn't fast.  It's like a drop of water in a bucket.  Little by little, improvements happen even when you don't notice them.  Then all of a sudden, you realize the change that has happened!!!!

WOW!  21 pounds!  You rock!  Please let us know your final tally so we can celebrate with you!  This is turning into a big week for you with a 10k on Saturday, too!  I think you'll amaze yourself. 

I want you to make yourself 3 goals for your race:  1.  a realistic goal that you will meet (such as finish--always my #1 goal).  2.  a reachable goal (11:00/mile pace) 3.  a super secret goal (your ultimate-everything-goes-righter-than-right goal-- 10:00/mile?). 

There are factors that come into play on race day that you don't have on training days: other participants, weather, adrenaline, equipment mishaps...  And your goals will help you cover every situation.  If your shoe comes untied then you step in a puddle or you were up all night because a child was sick--goal 1 is there to help in the worst case scenario.  Goal 2 is for an everyday, things are going right type of day.  Your super secret goal is when you feel better than normal, you're excited and raring to go and you just can't believe you feel so good.  I usually make my super secret goal slightly beyond than what I can actually attain-- therefore I can come back the next year and use that goal to help me improve!

2012-03-12 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4091419

New user

Robin, thank you for that great piece of goal-setting advice!  2 more questions:

1.  DO I really have to taper this week (I am still in weight loss mode) - i.e.  I am wondering if it will really change my performance that much....

2.  Should I leave my Garmin at home for the race and go by feel, or wear it in your opinion?

Again, I know I am not winning anything here, except, what I consider my personal war on weight loss!

Katie

2012-03-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4092589

User image

Expert
C-bus
kknickrehm - 2012-03-12 3:39 PM

Robin, thank you for that great piece of goal-setting advice!  2 more questions:

1.  DO I really have to taper this week (I am still in weight loss mode) - i.e.  I am wondering if it will really change my performance that much....While it may not change your performance, it will change your attitude on race day.  Taper week is hard.  You get so familiar with challenging yourself that, when you take a rest before your race, you get ansy.  I don't think you have to make the entire week light and easy, but I would at least take it easier Wednesday, and have easy light workouts Thursday and Friday.  Your legs will feel fantastic on Saturday.  You want to feel rested and well prepared for your race, not exhausted.  THat will leave a bad tast in your mouth if you race and feel tired from the beginning.  And we don't want that!

2.  Should I leave my Garmin at home for the race and go by feel, or wear it in your opinion? I'm not avoiding the question, but my opinion means diddly-squat.  It's completely up to you!  Have confidence in your training and go with the flow.  You can always wear the Garmin, but not look at it, right?  Maybe?  I dunno.

Again, I know I am not winning anything here, except, what I consider my personal war on weight loss!Yes!  It's no one's race but yours!  Make your goals and claim every piece of it as your own.  No one can quantify it but you!  I can't wait to hear your race report!!!!!

Katie

2012-03-17 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4092660

New user

Hi Robin!  Thanks for your words of encouragement.  This week was a big week for me.

Monday was the final weigh in, and in 8 weeks, my grand total was -22 pounds.  I am really happy with that.  I expect that I will hit another milestone next week  - I'll keep you posted.  I have never been below 200 pounds in my adult life.  Next week is the week!  This was also the first time in a looooooooong time that I have been able to purchase clothes in regular sizes (not plus).  God is good, and my prayers are being answered.  Triathlon has been a huge catalyst in these lifestyle changes.

10K today:  68:59 is the official time.  'Realistic' Goal was 70 minutes.  So there you have it - I'll take it an run!

Next race is a sprint on May 20 - I am looking forward to the increased focus on cross training.

2012-03-17 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4100977

User image

Expert
C-bus

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You made your goal!!!  And fantastic weight loss!  You must have the biggest smile on your face!  (I do!)

Perfect timing for your tri.  About 8 weeks to train--perfect!  Your running should be strong, so just maintain what you're doing, and throw in a couple swim days and bike days.  Do you have a plan for your triathlon training?

Congratulations, again!!!!

2012-03-17 9:03 PM

New user
I picked up the book you recommended STARTING OUT TRIATHLON and REALLY like it - not to the plans yet, and I should be throught the book in a couple of days.  Thanks so much!
2012-03-21 9:33 AM

New user

Ok, I am having a problem. Late yesterday I started having pain in my (glutes). I have dealt with this pain for a lot of my life off and on but it became too much around this time last year and I had to take a couple months off of running. My physio said it had to do with tight muscles so she showed me different stretches to do and how to use a foam roller.

Yesterday my pain was felt in my glutes and I had a stiffness in the top of my knees as well which leads me to believe it is a tight IT band. I used my roller which offered temporary relief. I decided to take today off, I was going to do an hour bike. My goal is to take it easy over the next couple of days but the problem is I have been taking it easy for quite some time now. I am running 4-5 days a week of easy running which is similar to what I was doing during my HM training but I am running WAY less.

So my question is: Could this be from riding my bike? Or just doing too much? My logs are all up to date. The only thing I am doing different is riding my bike more and I am doing high intensity (lots of intervals) on the bike. Maybe this is too much? I keep hearing that it is ok to go hard on the bike but maybe I need to ease into it a bit more?

This is really frustrating. Maybe I should also add that in the past strength training has helped (lunges, squats). The problem with this is that I am afraid to incorporate more lower body exercises when my legs are already wiped from my bike.

Maybe I could decrease my biking and do weights twice a week?

2012-03-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4106375

User image

Expert
C-bus

Ayi-yi-yi!  Not you too?!?!  Tradershez and I have been dealing with something like this (mine for 9 months), her for a few weeks (5-6?)  I wish I had the answer for you.  I talked about my issue with my chiropractor (I don't really have a regular doc).  She gave me some stretches to do.  It helps afterwards, kinda, but I think mine will only go away when I become a couch potato. 

Regarding your bike, have you had a professional fitting?  I'm sure you've been asked this before, but it's the best first-step to rule out your bike from the equation. 

you mentioned you also have above-the-knee pain.  How many miles are on your shoes?  I have found that once my shoes hit 300 miles, I start to get aches and pains that I normally don't have. 

I wish I had the magic bullet cure-all.  The glute pain is one of the most annoying things I have had to deal with.  I hope your "pain in the butt" goes away quickly!

2012-03-25 8:31 AM

User image

New user

Keller, TX

My half marathon is next Saturday!  I'm very excited and feel that I am prepared!  My question is this what should I eat or not eat the week leading up to the race?

Thanks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12