BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-02-10 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4039232

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - CLOSED
ball6135 - 2012-02-09 10:16 PM

2 days out for me... fighting the worst cold I've had in years!!!    

Can't wait for this one to run it's course!

I hope you are feeling better soon! That's a drag. I lost a couple of weeks after Thanksgiving last year with a cold which turned into a sinus and then ear infection. So take it easy on yourself and heal up!

2012-02-10 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4036851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

JKreuzig - 2012-02-08 6:58 PM Good bike last night, my longest since it got cold outside. 1800 yd swim today. So far, I'm keeping up relatively well.

Nice...

2012-02-10 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3943815

Issaquah, WA

I feel a bit out of the loop. My shoulder with the Bursitis was still sore so I took most of last week of from exercising except for walking. Saturday I went xc skiing, this actually made my shoulder feel better, and did a few easy runs and cycled this week. The shoulder feels better but not quite 100%. Next week I'll try swimming again. If the shoulder is still to sore to swim my doctor may send me to PT.

It looks like we're adding the group to our friends list and the latest topic is swimming drills. I've found the following drills helpful: chest press, catch ups, count strokes, fist, fingertip drag, thigh scrape, and sighting.

Have a good weekend.

2012-02-10 6:57 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Great week for me.  Sprints Monday, Sufferfest on the bike Tuesday for an hour, 8 miles Wednesday, and 20 miles this morning.  Trying hot yoga for the first time tomorrow.....that should be interesting!
2012-02-10 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4041355

User image

Veteran

NeverEnough - 2012-02-10 7:57 PM Great week for me.  Sprints Monday, Sufferfest on the bike Tuesday for an hour, 8 miles Wednesday, and 20 miles this morning.  Trying hot yoga for the first time tomorrow.....that should be interesting!

Get ready to sweat... a LOT!!

2012-02-10 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4039232

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
ball6135 - 2012-02-09 7:16 PM

2 days out for me... fighting the worst cold I've had in years!!!    

Can't wait for this one to run it's course!

So sorry, rest, rest, rest

2012-02-10 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

I did 2 miles on the treadmill today and my foot felt pretty good.  Gonna try an easy run tomorrow and if all is good I'm back to running again!  I was coming off a great running season so I think a few weeks of building and I'll be back

I have a lot of work to do on the bike.  IM California has some serious hills.  Gonna do a 50 miler Sunday, then I start my hill training for a few weeks.  It's just going to be about surviving the bike so my legs are ready for the run.

2012-02-10 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4041452

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Mitchparadise - 2012-02-10 8:39 PM

I did 2 miles on the treadmill today and my foot felt pretty good.  Gonna try an easy run tomorrow and if all is good I'm back to running again!  I was coming off a great running season so I think a few weeks of building and I'll be back

I have a lot of work to do on the bike.  IM California has some serious hills.  Gonna do a 50 miler Sunday, then I start my hill training for a few weeks.  It's just going to be about surviving the bike so my legs are ready for the run.

Sounds like solid progress to me. Keep up the good work and don't push it too hard if that foot starts bothering you. Don't want any big setbacks before California!
2012-02-12 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Knocked out a 57 miler today on the bike.  I'm just not fast on that thing.  I've only been riding under a year but I just feel like I should be faster.  I averaged 16.5 today with some nice hills there in the middle.  If I do that for IM Cali I'll be happy.  I guess it just takes time in the saddle.
2012-02-12 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4043391

User image

West Bend, WI

Mitchparadise - 2012-02-12 4:54 PM Knocked out a 57 miler today on the bike.  I'm just not fast on that thing.  I've only been riding under a year but I just feel like I should be faster.  I averaged 16.5 today with some nice hills there in the middle.  If I do that for IM Cali I'll be happy.  I guess it just takes time in the saddle.

57 miles on a trainer?? Oh yeah, no snow in L.A.!!!  I'm looking forward to not having to ride my bike in the basement anymore, maybe a few more months.

2012-02-12 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4043418

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
JKreuzig - 2012-02-12 3:24 PM

Mitchparadise - 2012-02-12 4:54 PM Knocked out a 57 miler today on the bike.  I'm just not fast on that thing.  I've only been riding under a year but I just feel like I should be faster.  I averaged 16.5 today with some nice hills there in the middle.  If I do that for IM Cali I'll be happy.  I guess it just takes time in the saddle.

57 miles on a trainer?? Oh yeah, no snow in L.A.!!!  I'm looking forward to not having to ride my bike in the basement anymore, maybe a few more months.

No snow, but lots of people and cars around. I feel a lot safer in my office on my trainer.  It was just such a beautiful day (68 and sunny) and seeing where everyone is from and I didn't want to rub it in.  I have much, much respect for those of you in the cold.  It's a lot easier to get out when you get to ride along the beach!

2012-02-13 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4041452

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I'm registered for Cali 70.3 but I'm going to eat the registration fee.  Sickness has ravaged my training this winter and I don't want to fly out to Cali if I'm not ready to race hard.   I'll save some money by staying local. 

I got in some good skiing this weekend.  I'm at a meeting in St. Louis next week so I have to get in as much skiing as I can this week as prep for the Birkie a week from this Saturday.  Luckily I was cutting a lot of firewood this fall so my upper body is in reasonable shape for x-c skiing. 

What topics would folks like to discuss in this thread?  Don't be afraid to make suggestions or ask questions fearing that "everyone should know that already".  The only stupid questions are those that don't get asked!  Hope everyone has a great week!

2012-02-13 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4044069

User image

Veteran

I have to forfeit my race fee for a half marathon this weekend. Turns out I had signed up without checking our school calendar, missing the fact that it's a 4 day weekend. So, it's a short family ski trip instead. Thank goodness there was a bit of snow last weekend, and now I hope it sticks around! At least it will be cold enough to make snow at night.

Finally made it to the pool! Still no biking, though.

Bike-related question:

What do you guys watch on the trainer to keep you motivated? And how do you manage the complicated workouts if you don't have a bike computer? I usually just get on and ride, but I was hoping that there would be a dvd out there that would tell me when to go fast, climb, etc. kind of like in spin class. Anything like that?

2012-02-13 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4044267

User image

Pro
melanfi - 2012-02-13 9:26 AM

I have to forfeit my race fee for a half marathon this weekend. Turns out I had signed up without checking our school calendar, missing the fact that it's a 4 day weekend. So, it's a short family ski trip instead. Thank goodness there was a bit of snow last weekend, and now I hope it sticks around! At least it will be cold enough to make snow at night.

Bike-related question:

What do you guys watch on the trainer to keep you motivated? And how do you manage the complicated workouts if you don't have a bike computer? I usually just get on and ride, but I was hoping that there would be a dvd out there that would tell me when to go fast, climb, etc. kind of like in spin class. Anything like that?

Sorry to hear about having to eat the entry fee....I've eaten quite a few in my time.

Great bike related question.  Fighting monotony on the trainer is always a challenge, especially if your trainer is set up in a dungeon basement or garage.  I've got mine set up in the basement but it gets natural light from windows and walkout doorway which helps.  Also, make sure you have fans blowing on you to keep you cool.  I have my Computrainer set up in front of an old TV that has a dvd/vcr player hooked up so I can watch a variety of things.  If its just an easy spin/recovery type of workout I will simply put in a good movie to pass the time and may alter the resistance once in a while or get out of the saddle for a few seconds just to mix things up.

For more serious trainer workouts I have 2 strategies.  If I'm doing a specific interval type workouts I use the ERG mode on my Computrainer and use software programs that I have written myself to specify interval period/watts/recovery time etc.  This is a great feature because once the program starts you just spin away and don't have to worry about messing with buttons to alter resistance.  I have my CT connected to my laptop and my workout is displayed on the laptop screen and you can see when the next interval is coming up, then how far you are into an interval, and then know how soon a recovery is coming up.  I will usually have a movie playing on the TV to watch instead of just staring at the wall or computer.

My second strategy is to use the Spinervals series of workouts.  Some folks don't like them but I think they're great.  They not only have tapes/dvd on specific types of workouts but they also have tapes on a variety of Ironman courses that help you get a visual feel for the course.  The link above will take you to the selection of workouts.  I tend to only use a few over and over again for specific purposes.  I like the Time Trialapalooza tape because it is a good workout for improving your threshold power.  Coach Troy will talk throughout the tape and tell you the length of the interval coming up, the resistance setting you should have your trainer on, give encouragement during the interval, etc.  I also use the Big Gear Strength tape for strength workouts.  I think the website has previews of each tape so you can get a feel for what they are like.  I tend to use the Spinerval tapes that are short and sweet to make effective use of my time and cut down on the boredom factor.  He actually has a 100 miler tape but I can only spin through about 3 hours of that before I get stir crazy on the trainer.  If folks have a computrainer, you can also check out the ERGVIDEO website.  I haven't bought any of these yet but I plan to this spring. 

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-02-13 9:55 AM
2012-02-13 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4044267

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
melanfi - 2012-02-13 9:26 AM

Bike-related question:

Usually I find myself turning on ESPN or Golf Channel.  Also frequently try doing my rides during a sporting event to watch.  I usually have the TV on mute so that I can listen to by ipod.  As far as intervals I have my bike computer along with a stopwatch on the table next to me.  Usually I just watch my computer for the length of the interval, but if I am doing a whole much I will use the split feature on the stopwatch.  Doing that also helps me move around on the bike and get out of aero occasionally to stretch out body parts. 

I don't have have any DVD's, but I've heard good things about the Spinervals that Birkie mentioned.  Some day I am thinking I might give those a try for fun.

2012-02-13 9:12 PM

User image

West Bend, WI

Funny...I just did my first Spinervals DVD today.  It was good, I'll be feeling that one tomorrow afternoon.  I also have a Race Day DVD, it is a criterion race.  I'm not a fast biker, so this is a tough one for me.  I prefer to turn on a movie or DVR'd show.  These are my favorite cause although I still do intervals, I can zone out.  My kids often ride their bikes in the basement when I'm on my trainer, so I'm often refereeing arguments and directing traffic.

One question... What does it mean when Troy Jacobson says 15 or 21 or 23 on the back ring?

2012-02-14 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Birkierunner - 2012-02-13 7:59 AM

I'm registered for Cali 70.3 but I'm going to eat the registration fee.  Sickness has ravaged my training this winter and I don't want to fly out to Cali if I'm not ready to race hard.   I'll save some money by staying local. 

I got in some good skiing this weekend.  I'm at a meeting in St. Louis next week so I have to get in as much skiing as I can this week as prep for the Birkie a week from this Saturday.  Luckily I was cutting a lot of firewood this fall so my upper body is in reasonable shape for x-c skiing. 

What topics would folks like to discuss in this thread?  Don't be afraid to make suggestions or ask questions fearing that "everyone should know that already".  The only stupid questions are those that don't get asked!  Hope everyone has a great week!

On topics...road bike or tri bike....

let me start off by saying that if i bike 3 times a week that would be a lot for me....and i mainly do sprint tri stuff here locally...(freakin' water fear!!!)

Usually enjoy the bike riding....when i am able to get out..but have been thinking about upgrading..I have an older trek 2300 with ok comp...do i upgrade it, if so, where do i start...or do i leave it as is, and bite into a tri bike???    Just thinking....

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Birkierunner - 2012-02-13 7:59 AM

let me start off by saying that if i bike 3 times a week that would be a lot for me....and i mainly do sprint tri stuff here locally...(freakin' water fear!!!)

Usually enjoy the bike riding....when i am able to get out..but have been thinking about upgrading..I have an older trek 2300 with ok comp...do i upgrade it, if so, where do i start...or do i leave it as is, and bite into a tri bike???    Just thinking....

in reply to: #4046271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
oops...double post...have a good day folks!!!!
2012-02-14 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran

I checked out the website for Spinervals and would have ordered a dvd or 2, but there were so dang many that I didn't know which one to choose! Help! Never having done one, do I start at #1 or should I just pick something from their women's series?

Did a short swim yesterday and another one, a bit longer, today. Then I ran 3 miles yesterday with a good friend and running partner. Boy did I ever need that!

2012-02-14 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4046396

User image

Expert

No rhyme or reason to the numbering, surf through a few titles/descriptoins.  Some focus on fast 30 second sprints, others are more long style hill climbs.  

I find it useful to DVR bike racing or tris and play them back when on the trainer as well.  

I forget the numbers, but they have filmed a few of them in Minneapolis!  I went to the last set, man I thought I was going to drop dead after doing all of the workouts/taping.  

2012-02-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4046396

User image

Pro
melanfi - 2012-02-14 8:29 AM

I checked out the website for Spinervals and would have ordered a dvd or 2, but there were so dang many that I didn't know which one to choose! Help! Never having done one, do I start at #1 or should I just pick something from their women's series?

Troy really has added quite a few DVDs over the past few years.  I would keep it simple.  If it were me I would order the following:

Comp 11.0 Big Gear strength

Comp 22.0 Time Trialapalooza - my favorite of the Spinervals that I do almost every week; helps improve your functional threshold power which basically means over time this workout will improve the power output at which you can maintain for a given time period (can get complicated but basically maintain for 20 min or 60 min).  Filmed in Minneapolis using many of the athletes I race against each year.

Any of the Aero Base Builder series Comp 16-18, 21, 25, 28, etc.   These are your usual interval type training workouts

I didn't know he had a threshold test dvd but it may be worth checking out Comp 27.0 Threshold test.  If you don't have power measurement on your trainer you can use a heart rate monitor to measure your heart rate at your threshold and re-measure every 4-6 weeks to monitor progress and improved fitness

I don't know anything about his introductory Spinerval 101 dvd but it might be worth checking out if you are totally new to using a trainer for interval workouts

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-02-14 11:34 AM
2012-02-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4045966

User image

Pro
JKreuzig - 2012-02-13 9:12 PM

One question... What does it mean when Troy Jacobson says 15 or 21 or 23 on the back ring?

When he prompts you to do the above simply shift your rear derailleur so that the chain is engaged on the appropriate cog.  So, before going any further look at your rear cassette on your rear wheel and start at the smallest cog and count how many teeth are on each cog.  Might be good to draw up a diagram you can tape on the wall near where your trainer is set up.  If you have a 9-speed (9 cogs on rear cassette) count how many teeth are on each cog and put that number on your diagram for the smallest all the way up to your largest cog.  So, when he says put it on your 15 in the back ring look at your diagram, determine which cog that corresponds to, then shift until the chain is on that cog.  He will frequently tell you which combination of front (big ring or small ring) and rear rings you should be in.  Let me know if my explanation isn't clear.

2012-02-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4046272

User image

Pro
CoachH - 2012-02-14 7:25 AM

You will be glad to hear that my road bike is a Trek 2300 as well!! (red and black).  I have put many miles on the bike over the past 7 years and the Ultegra components are perfectly fine.  I raced my first 2 Ironman races on that bike as well, so don't let anyone tell you that you HAVE to have a tri bike to compete.  Your schedule seems so busy and you race mostly sprints so I would be the last person to tell you to go out and buy a dedicated triathlon bike....unless you have a lot of spare disposable income and just "want one".  I ended up getting a Felt DA time trial bike after my second year in triathlon.

Frankly, I would simply recommend sticking with your Trek 2300 and do some basic adjustments to it to make it a little more tri-friendly.  The first thing I would do is put on some clip-on aerobars on it.  I put on some Vision carbon clip-ons that are very comfortable.  Hopefully you have a local bike shop that has staff with triathlon experience.  I would ask them to help you make the bike more tri specific.  For me, they recommended that I put a shorter handlebar stem and they also rotated the seat post mount so that my seat was more forward.  Both of those changes put me in a posture that was more tri oriented, which should help your legs make the transition to the run as well as being more aero with the use of aerobars.  Even though I've made these adjustments I still use my Trek for a lot of just plain road riding even without using the clip on aerobars...I keep them on all the time.  The clip-ons take up a little more space on your handlebars so you tend to ride the brake hoods a little more (especially climbing) but you get used to it.  Hope this helps with your decision.

2012-02-14 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
I have a topic I always love to discuss.  I like the topic of long-course nutrition and hearing some of the things that work (and don't work) for these longer events.  For the 70.3 distance, I didn't have any problems using mostly gels with one powerbar on the bike.  I also had an alarm every 10 minutes reminding me to drink.  All of that worked well for my HIM, but I think nutrition-wise I will want something different than just gels during the longer distance of Ironman.

One of the things I want to experiment with this summer are the nutritonal supplement drinks such as HEED or INFINIT.  At this time I don't know a lot about them, but I kind of like the idea of getting my nutrition out of a bottle easily and quickly.  I'd like to hear from anyone who is familiar with any of these products and how they work.  I've also heard there are some challenges in when and how you mix the product (ie it can't sit around too long before being consumed), which I am also interested in hearing about.

Those are some of my questions, but feel free to talk about anything related to race nutrition because I'm sure everyone has some good & bad experiences.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14