BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-01-27 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4595783

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train!
ConnieVisc - 2013-01-26 3:09 PM

I am training in the rain this weekend. I swam in an outdoor pool last night. It was such a nice swim.  The rain was light, steam was rising from the pool and my swim felt smooth.

I did a brick with my tri group this morning. My first time biking in the rain and second time clipping so I was nervous. We decided to bike, run, bike, run so we were never too far from our starting point. It went well.  Actually better than expected. My new Chi running is going well too.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

That swim sounds heavenly!!

2013-01-27 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4595699

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
CaptainStripey - 2013-01-26 1:43 PM

Mfechter67 - 2013-01-26 7:23 AM No workout planned for today. I'm figuring I'll burn enough calories trying to stay warm. Camping with the Boy Scouts. It was 9 last night, now it's up to about 18.

That sounds so fun! 

Thanks for the advice on recovery weeks, Steph. I mostly train "by feel" and also "by default" - which means that some weeks (like this last week) I didn't do any real training for 4 straight days. So I'm very well-recovered! Maybe too well-recovered... I had a string of long and stressful working days and some late nights finishing projects -- which meant I wasn't getting enough sleep. And I've found I just shouldn't train without enough sleep. This kind of sounds like I'm not making my workouts a priority but I am trying! 

And also thanks for the nutrition advice - I always drink cow's milk so maybe I'll try almond instead but what exactly is the advantage over regular milk?  

Anyway, I'm so excited to finally go for a run again today (and so's my dog, I think) - I'm off.

Julia 

Some people are sensitive to cow's milk and don't know it. IF you think you are ok, don't worry. I was surprised to find out I feel better without. There are certain milk proteins and sugars (lactose) that bother people sometimes.

SLEEP IS #1

You cannot recover without sleep. You produce human growth hormone when you sleep deeply. SO, sleep comes even before workouts!
2013-01-27 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4596830

Veteran
stephsprint - 2013-01-27 2:34 PM
CaptainStripey - 2013-01-26 1:43 PM

Mfechter67 - 2013-01-26 7:23 AM No workout planned for today. I'm figuring I'll burn enough calories trying to stay warm. Camping with the Boy Scouts. It was 9 last night, now it's up to about 18.

That sounds so fun! 

Thanks for the advice on recovery weeks, Steph. I mostly train "by feel" and also "by default" - which means that some weeks (like this last week) I didn't do any real training for 4 straight days. So I'm very well-recovered! Maybe too well-recovered... I had a string of long and stressful working days and some late nights finishing projects -- which meant I wasn't getting enough sleep. And I've found I just shouldn't train without enough sleep. This kind of sounds like I'm not making my workouts a priority but I am trying! 

And also thanks for the nutrition advice - I always drink cow's milk so maybe I'll try almond instead but what exactly is the advantage over regular milk?  

Anyway, I'm so excited to finally go for a run again today (and so's my dog, I think) - I'm off.

Julia 

Some people are sensitive to cow's milk and don't know it. IF you think you are ok, don't worry. I was surprised to find out I feel better without. There are certain milk proteins and sugars (lactose) that bother people sometimes. SLEEP IS #1 You cannot recover without sleep. You produce human growth hormone when you sleep deeply. SO, sleep comes even before workouts!

And this is the reasoning that  my son uses to sleep until noon every weekend....

2013-01-28 5:57 AM
in reply to: #4545748

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I missed a whole week of training!
I had family in town for the inauguration and staying up late meant I couldn't wake up.
I have also been struggling with migraines all week. I am suppose to see the doc this week.

Today, I got up for BodyPump (weights class) class at 5:15am! Best part was my 14 year old went with me! He normally gets up at 6:30 so he was ok with the early morning. Of course there is a 2 hour delay so he gets to go back to sleep.

Spinning tomorrow morning as long as there is no school delay otherwise they cancel morning classes.
My son said he will get up to go to the gym in the mornings with me. I know it will be tiring for him but we are trying to see if it will work.

Bring him will motivate me to stay on track. For him, he's a big kid with high risk of diabetes so it will get him healthy and in shape.
2013-01-29 4:43 AM
in reply to: #4597315

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2013-01-28 6:57 AM

I missed a whole week of training!
I had family in town for the inauguration and staying up late meant I couldn't wake up.
I have also been struggling with migraines all week. I am suppose to see the doc this week.

Today, I got up for BodyPump (weights class) class at 5:15am! Best part was my 14 year old went with me! He normally gets up at 6:30 so he was ok with the early morning. Of course there is a 2 hour delay so he gets to go back to sleep.

Spinning tomorrow morning as long as there is no school delay otherwise they cancel morning classes.
My son said he will get up to go to the gym in the mornings with me. I know it will be tiring for him but we are trying to see if it will work.

Bring him will motivate me to stay on track. For him, he's a big kid with high risk of diabetes so it will get him healthy and in shape.

How great was that inaugerations!?! I watched the whole thing on TV. I'm proud to be an American.
2013-01-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4597315

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Lovey - 2013-01-28 5:57 AM I missed a whole week of training! I had family in town for the inauguration and staying up late meant I couldn't wake up. I have also been struggling with migraines all week. I am suppose to see the doc this week. Today, I got up for BodyPump (weights class) class at 5:15am! Best part was my 14 year old went with me! He normally gets up at 6:30 so he was ok with the early morning. Of course there is a 2 hour delay so he gets to go back to sleep. Spinning tomorrow morning as long as there is no school delay otherwise they cancel morning classes. My son said he will get up to go to the gym in the mornings with me. I know it will be tiring for him but we are trying to see if it will work. Bring him will motivate me to stay on track. For him, he's a big kid with high risk of diabetes so it will get him healthy and in shape.

It can really help to have a training buddy to keep you going and that it's your son is nice bonus. You can motivate each other to stay on track.  

I hope you can get some kind of answer about your migraines.  If you eat dairy products you might consider cutting them out to see if that makes a difference. 

Hope you and your family weren't too cold at the inauguration. How great to be there. My son was there 4 years ago and said it was such a fantastic experience.

Susie

2013-01-30 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Greetings from Gainesville... all packed and stored and now I have 6 of the 10 hour drive done. Bike will be shipped and built by Monday!!

Course Atlanta is having tornadoes!!! EEEEEKKKK!

Suz I hear you are having just AWFUL weather, be careful!
2013-01-30 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4602027

Veteran
stephsprint - 2013-01-30 4:56 PMGreetings from Gainesville... all packed and stored and now I have 6 of the 10 hour drive done. Bike will be shipped and built by Monday!!Course Atlanta is having tornadoes!!! EEEEEKKKK!Suz I hear you are having just AWFUL weather, be careful!
Safe travels!
2013-01-31 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4602027

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
stephsprint - 2013-01-30 6:56 PMGreetings from Gainesville... all packed and stored and now I have 6 of the 10 hour drive done. Bike will be shipped and built by Monday!!Course Atlanta is having tornadoes!!! EEEEEKKKK!Suz I hear you are having just AWFUL weather, be careful!
Hope all went well with your move and the weather wasn't to terrible. Here in Chi town, well the old saying goes, if you don't like the weather in Chicago just wait 24 hours. Never more true than this week. 64 degrees Tuesday evening....today 13. In between we had thunderstorms, freezing rain and snow. Wacky weather indeed.In Atlanta you will have more hills training, right?
2013-02-02 5:04 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

How's everyone's weekend training going?

2013-02-04 1:04 PM

My weekend training was great. I rode for 14 miles.  The route was hilly and I managed to shift gears and clip in and out fine.  I was worried at the start. We practiced the transition to the run and that went well.

I did the Surf City half marathon yesterday. I practiced my new Chi running skills and felt great. I did go a little slower as I was trying to do it right. My breathing felt great. I never had to use my inhaler. I ran back a few miles after I finished to finish with some friends.  I wan't tired or sore.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and has a good week!

2013-02-04 1:04 PM

My weekend training was great. I rode for 14 miles.  The route was hilly and I managed to shift gears and clip in and out fine.  I was worried at the start. We practiced the transition to the run and that went well.

I did the Surf City half marathon yesterday. I practiced my new Chi running skills and felt great. I did go a little slower as I was trying to do it right. My breathing felt great. I never had to use my inhaler. I ran back a few miles after I finished to finish with some friends.  I wan't tired or sore.

2013-02-04 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4607965

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ConnieVisc - 2013-02-04 2:04 PM

Oh my goodness I'm so thrilled for you!! The Half Marathon sounds like it was easier, that's great.
2013-02-04 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Got here, got settled, got my bike... doing lots of errands etc. I hope I can swim soon and find a gym. Still coughing a little from being sick, I'm guessing when the weather is over 59 degrees tomorrow I may have a little run. Shake off these cobwebs!

Happy Monday!
2013-02-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4607965

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
ConnieVisc - 2013-02-04 2:04 PM

WTG Connie!

2013-02-05 5:22 PM

I am looking for suggestions on swimming in cold water. I am training for my first Olympic distance event - the Desert Tri on March 2. I did the sprint last year and the water was so cold it took my breath away. Any ideas for training for cold water?  I have a full wet suit and I am going to swim in the ocean on Saturday.  Thanks and have a great day!

2013-02-05 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4610163

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
ConnieVisc - 2013-02-05 5:22 PMI am looking for suggestions on swimming in cold water. I am training for my first Olympic distance event - the Desert Tri on March 2. I did the sprint last year and the water was so cold it took my breath away. Any ideas for training for cold water?  I have a full wet suit and I am going to swim in the ocean on Saturday.  Thanks and have a great day!
I hate cold water!!! Good for you going back in. Some things you can do to help are: neoprene swim cap, booties (which are legal in races and you can wear a neoprene cap in a race as long as you put the race issued cap over it) Ear plugs, not letting the cold water get in your ears does help. On race day try to get in the water before you start to get that initial shock over with and when you get in the water, even though this might seem counterintuitive, stretch out the neck and get some water down your suit. Your body heat warms the water so when you get back in for your wave you have a small barrier. Also, make an effort to start out a bit slower. The cold water raises your heart rate. That combined with the adrenalin from the race can make you start to hyperventilate and not be able to catch your breath. Once you get over the shock and establish a rhythm you can go faster. Let us know how the ocean swim goes.
2013-02-05 6:42 PM

Thanks so much. I have a neoprene cap. I will get booties and ear plugs. I will practice putting water in my wet suit and starting slowly. I'll let you know how it goes.

2013-02-06 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wow, first run here in hilly Georgia. WHEW! This place will make me stronger and faster! It's a beautiful day here 64 and sunny! Much nicer than the drizzly 30s and 40s in the past week.

I only ran 2 miles but it took me forever. My husband turned in my app sheet for a gym membership at his company! it's a mile from here and has a beautiful, heated, indoor, 25 meter pool. Aaahhhhh!

There is also a meeting tonight of the Roswell Bicycle Club. Can't wait to meet some fellow cyclists.
2013-02-06 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4610232

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ConnieVisc - 2013-02-05 7:42 PM

Thanks so much. I have a neoprene cap. I will get booties and ear plugs. I will practice putting water in my wet suit and starting slowly. I'll let you know how it goes.

I second that. My friend Gladys is a competitive swimmer and she does 2 caps plus ear plugs in the cold water. Works like a charm. Good luck!
2013-02-10 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Quiet group, everyone must be out shoveling snow!

I am now a member of my husbands gym at work. It has a beautiful indoor pool. I did my first swim in many weeks yesterday and it felt GREAT! This membership costs 50 bucks a year! AND I am trying my first masters swim class there tomorrow! i hope it's great...even if it's not, a swim class 2x a week sounds like a great way to get in some real yards.

So Today...run before the rain starts, Monday Masters Swim, Tues Strength, Weds Masters Swim, Thursday if the rain stops RUN

2013-02-10 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4616135

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
$50 a YEAR!!!! and a POOL!!! Wow, how nice. And if the pool is warm, I am officially very jealous. (I pay $79 a month and the pool is cold)Looks like a great schedule. I think you wll enjoy the masters swims. I am part of the masters group in the summer. I can't do it during the school year because they meet from 8 -9 PM. Too late for me. The regular swims and the hilly runs... you will see some big improvements over time.I hope anyone out east is doing ok. That you have power and have been able to dig out. Crazy snow totals! Everyone else, hope the weekend training went (is going) well. I ran yesterday and this morning volunteered at a local race (Cupid's Love Dash) run by a friend of mine. Froze my @$$ off standing at the aid station holding a bucket of chocolate hearts. Then went out to breakfast with the hubby who was also volunteering. Now trying to muster the will to get on the trainer since I missed spin class this morning.
2013-02-11 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Suz, you are so right... the Masters Swim ROCKS!!!! I worked my butt off, and swam more than I ever have and I love every minute of it. What a concept!

I feel faster already... of course I probably won't be able to walk or lift my arms tomorrow.

Yes the pool is heated. Heaven.
2013-02-11 2:59 PM

Has any one tried habituation?  It is supposed to help with cold water.
2013-02-11 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4617874

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
ConnieVisc - 2013-02-11 2:59 PMHas any one tried habituation?  It is supposed to help with cold water.
How'd the ocean swim go?What is habituation?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  

of 16