BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4725832

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

I posed this as a PM to Todd but I would like as much feedback as possible. 

I am looking at this bike... http://albany.craigslist.org/bik/3805101230.html

I talked the buyer down to $525.

He said hes used the bike in two IMs and that it has been well maintained. He's upgrading to a CF Tri bike . I can get it tuned and trued here locally for about $50 (with a Groupon) and they charge $75 for a basic bike fitting (says it takes about an hour).

I anticipate maybe having to replace the break pads and maybe wheels (could use some suggestions here as well as both of these seems like DIYable).

Feedback?

2013-05-15 11:50 AM

User image

That is a really nice bike! Id be all over it pending its the right size. The wheels should be fine. They may need trued but the lbs can do that easily. Brake pads are cheap and easy if neceaary. The lbs would probably install them for free-$10 with the tune up if you bought pads from them.
2013-05-15 11:53 AM

User image

Btw many people call me the "craigslist master" becauae of all the wheeling and dealing i do on there. If you have allready talked them down that much with out seeing the bike id try to find somthing that could cost you more like pedals saddle etc and talk them down another $50-100. Whats the worst that can happen?
2013-05-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4743699

User image

Rensselaer, New York

corbetjackson50 - 2013-05-15 12:50 PM That is a really nice bike! Id be all over it pending its the right size. The wheels should be fine. They may need trued but the lbs can do that easily. Brake pads are cheap and easy if neceaary. The lbs would probably install them for free-$10 with the tune up if you bought pads from them.

Regarding the size. When I was test riding the Specialized Aleez Elite the LBS lady put me on a 54cm frame and said it was my size, and they could fit me for it. Looking at the geometry of the Caad9 and the Aleez this, the Caad, would be a 53cm Aleez. The standover and the Aleez was right against my man-bits but she said going down to a 52cm would be too small. I am hoping that this bike (the Cannondale) is a good fit so I can get on the road, finally!

Edited by MJSolt 2013-05-15 11:55 AM
2013-05-15 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mike, I responded some things by Pm (the last may surprise you) I will cover some things about the topic tonight when I get home.
2013-05-15 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Good afternoon everyone!

To those who are beginning swimming I'm sure by now you have figured out that land fitness and water fitness are to totally different things. Remember to take it easy when you are first starting. That's what I did. I had to let my body adjust to the demands of the water. But don't fret, you'll get it!

Congrats on the possible new to you bike! That's really exciting. I'm sure you'll have many miles of open road to enjoy.

On the home front here I did some of my own bike maintence. I sprayed degreaser over the front and rear derailure, chain, and rear gear sprockets. Took the trainer tire off and replaced the front are rear tubes. Then I put on my road/racing tires and readjusted the front and rear braking assembly. Finally I gave the bike a good wipe down till she shines.

2013-05-15 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4743670

MJSolt - 2013-05-15 11:36 AM

He said hes used the bike in two IMs and that it has been well maintained. He's upgrading to a CF Tri bike . I can get it tuned and trued here locally for about $50 (with a Groupon) and they charge $75 for a basic bike fitting (says it takes about an hour).

I anticipate maybe having to replace the break pads and maybe wheels (could use some suggestions here as well as both of these seems like DIYable).

Feedback?

I have to be honest with you, I think if you hold off a tiny bit more you can own a nice brand new bike for the right price ( IE Specialized Allez )  like this for example :

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bid/3755264306.html

Brand new for $675. 

I'm and avid craigslist user but when it comes to paying $400 + cash for anything, I really need to make sure I'm not jumping the gun.

2013-05-15 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4744100

Hubbie - 2013-05-15 2:26 PM Good afternoon everyone!

To those who are beginning swimming I'm sure by now you have figured out that land fitness and water fitness are to totally different things. Remember to take it easy when you are first starting. That's what I did. I had to let my body adjust to the demands of the water. But don't fret, you'll get it!

Congrats on the possible new to you bike! That's really exciting. I'm sure you'll have many miles of open road to enjoy.

On the home front here I did some of my own bike maintence. I sprayed degreaser over the front and rear derailure, chain, and rear gear sprockets. Took the trainer tire off and replaced the front are rear tubes. Then I put on my road/racing tires and readjusted the front and rear braking assembly. Finally I gave the bike a good wipe down till she shines.

Boy did I !!  I was just starting to feel like I was getting in good land shape will I jumped in the pool and felt like the first day at the gym. I cant wait to get into swimming shape then I will actually feel like a triathlete.

2013-05-15 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4743105

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-15 7:42 AM
ibr80 - 2013-05-14 10:53 PM

MY FIRST SWIM DAY = KO !

So after at least a couple years since swimming I decided to go the local aquatic center in Flushing Meadow Park. I stopped at Sports Authority and purchased a bathing suit ( Regular Nike type board shorts ) Speedo goggles and swim cap.  Headed out and started some lap swimming and it felt great, but it was kicking my but. I did all in all about maybe 3 laps freestyle and the rest breaststroke and I left feeling fantastic after about 10 laps. BUT as the day went on I started to feel my shoulder bother me ( Rotator Cuff type pain ) and sure enough by the time I was leaving work tonight it was killing me. Im now sitting in bed typing this with an Icy Hot Patch on and praying this doesn't knock me out for a while because Im looking to Run tomorrow, Bike on thursday and back in the pool on Friday. Honestly I have no idea how mad its going to be but it feels pretty bad right now. Anybody know why this would be ? Over did it on the first day ? Poor technique ?

Hopefully you just tweaked something.  Have you had problems in the past with your Rotator Cuff?  If you have or you now know that it is going to cause you problems or pain then just stick to freesytle.  Then again, depending on your time off maybe anything you did in the pool was going to cause some sort of issue to arise.  Don't jump out of the pool just yet, hopefully in a day or two you will feel fine. Congrats on getting back in and taking the laps you did.

Never suffered any time of pain like that before and it sort of creeped up on me during the afternoon, its not like I pulled something or anything of that nature. I put some Icy Hot patches last night and it felt horrible this mourning. I still managed to go to the gym this mourning and run 3 miles ( Foward Motion does not hurt ) and also did the stationary bike for another sweet 5.7 miles in 15 min at 105-110 RPM. I will be going for a nice Road bike ride tomorrow and then I will see how the arm feels Friday mourning and perhaps jump back in the pool. Even though it hurts quite bad when I raise my arm sideways like a bird flapping its wings per say, I have to admit it looks like its better than this mourning. I also noticed that its only on my left shoulder and my right shoulder feel fantastic, so maybe there is something wrong with my technique that is over compensating or something. Either way no excuses for me.. just results. Of course Im gonna take everybodys advise and not be stupid about it, if it hurts the minute I jump in the pool and will have to take it easy and change it up.

2013-05-15 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Bike/ Spin question:
When I was biking outdoors, I used my garmin or my bike computer for speed, mileage and calories burned.
Since I am not biking outdoors yet, I have to do spin class. How do estimate calories and miles on a spin bike? In previous groups, we used 1 hour = 12 miles. Does your gym bike have mileage or calories somewhere to plug in a garmin or something?

sorry, I am just full of questions.
2013-05-15 7:56 PM

User image

New user
MJ and Lovey - I got nothing to offer unfortunately. I'm so new to the bike thing... And that's why I'm über impressed with Hubbie's bike maintenance skills!

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I've hit my first "what the hell am I doing and why" mood. I've been pretty focused and excited but that got a bit squashed today. I know it's just work/school/life stressors getting in the way. But in addition, I got my bike from my LBS today post discounted (yay!) tune-up and tricked out with a shiny new water bottle holder & bike kit (see Todd, we do listen ) I was all excited and since today was picture perfect here (gentle breeze, clear skies, and almost 90 degrees) I decided to take the bike for a quick spin. I don't like it. I've had this bike for years for recreation. It's a hybrid. I got on it today and it felt weird. Maybe I've been spinning to long and have acclimated to that position/positioning. The upright way my bike is just felt ugh. My feet felt like the would come off the pedals, shifting was okay just not use to it, blah, blah, blah.

I have a history of collecting the gadgets for any new found interest. That's an expensive habit that I can no longer afford. I've read plenty that that is easy to do in triathlon. I had/have every intention of using what I have to compete in my Tri in August putting my money only where necessary. There is no way I can get a new bike. Are other newbies riding something other than a road bike? Is it just that I haven't been on my bike in about 1 year and just need to get use to it? Should I just go and eat this almond butter/choc brownie, go to bed & try again tomorrow? (I'm leaning HARD toward that last one

Sorry for the feelings dump.

2013-05-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4744541

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-15 8:56 PM

MJ and Lovey - I got nothing to offer unfortunately. I'm so new to the bike thing... And that's why I'm über impressed with Hubbie's bike maintenance skills!

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I've hit my first "what the hell am I doing and why" mood. I've been pretty focused and excited but that got a bit squashed today. I know it's just work/school/life stressors getting in the way. But in addition, I got my bike from my LBS today post discounted (yay!) tune-up and tricked out with a shiny new water bottle holder & bike kit (see Todd, we do listen ) I was all excited and since today was picture perfect here (gentle breeze, clear skies, and almost 90 degrees) I decided to take the bike for a quick spin. I don't like it. I've had this bike for years for recreation. It's a hybrid. I got on it today and it felt weird. Maybe I've been spinning to long and have acclimated to that position/positioning. The upright way my bike is just felt ugh. My feet felt like the would come off the pedals, shifting was okay just not use to it, blah, blah, blah.

I have a history of collecting the gadgets for any new found interest. That's an expensive habit that I can no longer afford. I've read plenty that that is easy to do in triathlon. I had/have every intention of using what I have to compete in my Tri in August putting my money only where necessary. There is no way I can get a new bike. Are other newbies riding something other than a road bike? Is it just that I haven't been on my bike in about 1 year and just need to get use to it? Should I just go and eat this almond butter/choc brownie, go to bed & try again tomorrow? (I'm leaning HARD toward that last one

I have what they call a performance hybrid or flat bar road bike. Traditional hybrids have shocks and ride like a mountain bike. Performance hybrids have no shocks and ride more like a road bike.
My LBS recommended a hybrid over a road bike based on my personal goals of doing 1 maybe 2 sprints a year, riding for general fitness and with my family. Plus I wad terrified, mind you I JUST learned to ride 4years ago as an adult. I have done 3 triathlon s and a duathlon on my bike and have no urge to get a road bike so far.
Maintenance takes practice but a lot of LBS and REI stores do free classes on maintenance and changing your tire.

For better ride and handling, I did add end bars and thinner tires to my bike. I also switched to combo pedals. Clip in on oon one side, regular pedals on the other side.

2013-05-15 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Dawn- it's ok to have a few days if doubts. It happens to me too. As far as your bike what changed that you don't like it now? Is the seat position different? You may have to go back and get refit. It took me four tries with two different fitters to get me comfortable on my bike. Oh, a stocked bike kit is a must have, I'm glad you got one.

Hang in there, you won't regret fitness.

In other news I tried this weeks challenge and tried a sport other than my usual. It was tennis tonight. I made the mistake of challenging my co worker to a game even after she told me that she used to be a high school tennis champ.

After 30 minutes she had me hanging off the net gasping for air and dripping sweat. It must have looked so comical! Going to sleep good tonight.

Beth
2013-05-16 6:32 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Dawn, hang in there! Maybe with a few more rides you'll grow to love your bike again. My only bike is a cheap-and-cheerful mountain bike, it's slow, heavy, and it doesn't really flow along the road the way I'd like but it's the only bike I've got and it's fine for my level of competetiveness. One voice in my head tells me I'll go much faster and be much better on a road or tri bike but the rest of me just says, why worry?....(I am saving up for a road bike though...got a long time to go yetEmbarassed)

Add- The almond butter brownie sounds fab. Mmmmm...

2013-05-16 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4744361

User image

Rensselaer, New York
ibr80 - 2013-05-15 6:07 PM
MJSolt - 2013-05-15 11:36 AM

Feedback?

I have to be honest with you, I think if you hold off a tiny bit more you can own a nice brand new bike for the right price ( IE Specialized Allez )  like this for example :

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bid/3755264306.html

Brand new for $675. 

I'm and avid craigslist user but when it comes to paying $400 + cash for anything, I really need to make sure I'm not jumping the gun.

Thanks for the feedback. I can probably get that same bike at a LBS for about the same price. Yet, for $150 cheaper (coincidentally just about the cost I would be paying to tune, fit and accessorize) I can get a bike that's a few years old with better components. That's my dilemma.

2013-05-16 8:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-16 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4744806

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Taringa - 2013-05-16 7:32 AM

Dawn, hang in there! Maybe with a few more rides you'll grow to love your bike again. My only bike is a cheap-and-cheerful mountain bike, it's slow, heavy, and it doesn't really flow along the road the way I'd like but it's the only bike I've got and it's fine for my level of competetiveness. One voice in my head tells me I'll go much faster and be much better on a road or tri bike but the rest of me just says, why worry?....(I am saving up for a road bike though...got a long time to go yetEmbarassed)

Add- The almond butter brownie sounds fab. Mmmmm...

When I switch the tires on my hybrid to slicker, slimmer road bike tires, my hubby did the same on his mountain bike. He didn’t go as skinny tires as I did since his bike is a heavier bike but he went a lot less knobbier and slimmer than the original tires. His tires now look like the ones on the hybrid bikes. My hubby says it definitely made a difference.

If you want a better, smoother flow along the road without buying a new road bike just yet, consider the option of switching out your tires.

2013-05-16 1:26 PM

Veteran
I did my first year if tris on a Walmart special road bike, GMC Danali. You may want to also explore the option if getting a cheep road bike. But I do like the suggestion of thinner tires in your current bike.

Speaking of bikes I put in 25 miles on mine this morning. Could have gone without fighting the head wind but loved the tail wind coming back.

I'm happy to report that my pool time went better than last weeks failure. My lap times where slower than my norm but I felt better mentally and physically.

Had to cut the swim short by 900 yards. Had to get laundry and other stuff done. Some times there just isn't enough hours in the day.

Beth
2013-05-16 2:06 PM

Gold Coast, Australia
Yep, I changed the tyres ( same width but smoother profile) and it helped a lot. Think I might change the seat, too, it's pretty sharp

Re : not enough hours in the day, I'm hearing you! My constant problem.
2013-05-16 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4744434

Extreme Veteran

Lovey - 2013-05-15 6:10 PM Bike/ Spin question: When I was biking outdoors, I used my garmin or my bike computer for speed, mileage and calories burned. Since I am not biking outdoors yet, I have to do spin class. How do estimate calories and miles on a spin bike? In previous groups, we used 1 hour = 12 miles. Does your gym bike have mileage or calories somewhere to plug in a garmin or something? sorry, I am just full of questions.

I know there is stuff out there but the main thing I can think of is just a plan old heart rate monitor to track HR and then convert that into calories burn.  I really don't put much stock into speed on a spin bike or exercise bike for that matter.  I think the main thing you are getting out of it is saddle time, muscle memory, and on heck of a cardio workout and that is great all by it's self regardless of speed or mileage.  I have seen where people bike 20+ at the Gym and then get out on the road and are just devastated when they average 17, which is not bad but they struggle to understand why.  You need street time that's for sure but you are doing what you can right now that will only aid you when you hit the street.

2013-05-16 9:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-15 7:56 PM MJ and Lovey - I got nothing to offer unfortunately. I'm so new to the bike thing... And that's why I'm über impressed with Hubbie's bike maintenance skills!

Dawn, you are no different then any of us, we have good days / weeks, we have bad days.  I can tell you that as I do this more, I now use it to deal with those stresses of life and work.  I now know that my run or ride or swim, is my time to myself to clear my mind, take out aggressions, reflect, just do something that requires little deep thought.  Dawn the bike feelings and thoughts could just be that you are having feelings of wanting something more to use on your journey.  What I mean is that you are willing to put in the work and want the gear to go along with it,  almost like a stock car driver not wanting to drive a Cobalt.  You know your bike Can and Will get the job done but you might just want that little extra.  If you do decide to go that way, you can sell the other and tell them about all the service that was just done to it.  Hang in there.

2013-05-16 9:44 PM
in reply to: #4744610

Extreme Veteran

In other news I tried this weeks challenge and tried a sport other than my usual. It was tennis tonight. I made the mistake of challenging my co worker to a game even after she told me that she used to be a high school tennis champ.

After 30 minutes she had me hanging off the net gasping for air and dripping sweat. It must have looked so comical! Going to sleep good tonight.

Beth

Nice job Beth, I play tennis very seldom, but it can be a great workout.  I also find that doing something different for some workouts is good for me.

2013-05-16 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4745547

Extreme Veteran

Hubbie - 2013-05-16 1:26 PM I did my first year if tris on a Walmart special road bike, GMC Danali. You may want to also explore the option if getting a cheep road bike. But I do like the suggestion of thinner tires in your current bike.

Speaking of bikes I put in 25 miles on mine this morning. Could have gone without fighting the head wind but loved the tail wind coming back.

I'm happy to report that my pool time went better than last weeks failure. My lap times where slower than my norm but I felt better mentally and physically.

Had to cut the swim short by 900 yards. Had to get laundry and other stuff done. Some times there just isn't enough hours in the day.

Beth

First off, nice rideCool, but let's talk about this swim thing.  You cut your swim short by 900 Yards to do laundry, that is just unacceptable.  Put the clothes on, jump in, and kill two birds with one stone.Wink

2013-05-16 10:21 PM

Extreme Veteran

Now that I'm caught up, I just want to say sorry for being away and not getting to post last night.  I got hung up working a case last night and did not get home till late. 

O.k. now the bike thing and I'm sure Beth and others can add to this but here is my readers digest version and thoughts.

Number 1 Rule is FIT, FIT, FIT.

Now that I said that a couple of times lets get to some other things.  First decide on a budget.  This part will usually let you know what you can get bike wise, Mountain, Hybrid, Road, Triathlon.  Now you have to decide, which one to get of the ones you can afford.  Let me say this becuase I was told it when I bought my road bike and noticed that Mike was told it as well. It is Not True that you can not use a TT - Time Trial (triathlon bike) for group rides.  When people say this they are referring to cycling groups more than anything and even some of them allow it but do not allow you to get into the areo position (safety issue becuase you have to come up and out of your position to grab the brakes).  If you ride upright it is basically a road bike that is a little tougher to shift.  I can tell you that I have yet to sign up for a Paid Group Ride / Tour and not been allowed to use a TT bike, once again you have to be safe at the start when in the group.  The one other thing about this is who / how many you are going to ride with on a regular bases.  I basically do everything on my own and when I do have someone they are on a TT bike as well.  Now to the difference between them the biggest differences are areodynamics and the way you feel getting off the bike.  A TT bike's position is such as to not affect the running muscles as much as the design of a road bike, which in theory, leaves you fresher off the bike.  Alot of people tell you that it is a mile or two per hour fastest, I think that depends on the person.  I was the same for quit a while until my bike fitness improved, but then again I'm sure I'd be faster on the road bike now as well.  New or Used is up to the indiviual.  I have bought both ways, once again FIT is the key thing.  Don't buy soley for price and / or looks.  The plus to buying from LBS is usually free fit, free maintanece for a while, and the relationship of people to ask questions and get bike help from.  Used - well I think the key thing for most with used is a much nicer bike / gruppo that is a few years old for the same price as an entry level bike.  You just have to be careful used especially with a Carbon bike that it's not worn in the area of the tires or that the frame has a crack (a bike shop can check this for you)  The other issue is to test ride it.  If buying used you really need to know your size and know that a 54 in one bike may be a 56 in another.  Just because a few measurements are the same does not means that it will work becuase another my be way off and throw everything else off.  But if you've ridden that brand and know your size then easy you can get a great deal used. 

Just a quick history of me and bikes since starting, 1st was a scratch and dent from LBS that had a large dent in top tube (said no structural damage), but I had other shops say it was and took it back. They allowed for an exchange and I added money and purchased a Giant Defy 2 Compact Crank Road bike, which I still have now (good fit and nice ride).  Ok so I regretted not getting a Tri Bike (after going to first group ride and seeing people on them) and sold the Defy to a friend getting into the sport and used that money to purchase a TT bike from a subject here on BT.  The bike was a great deal and all the numbers seemed to match up.  I got the bike had everything put together and was told at fitting that I was at the edge of being to big for it.  I tried to make it work for 3 months but no go, and started to have pain while riding.  Well I got lucky and the same friend was way more into the sport now and he basically took the TT bike and gave me back mine and a few bucks.  I knew I still wanted a TT bike and started saving knowing that I would only purchase from an LBS, until my Mentor in another group (thanks Josh - Disciplineguide) told me not to take used off the table.  Well I checked Craiglist in my area and found a Kuota TT bike for a great price that seemed like it should fit.  I had saved my money and was $200 short of what he was asking.  I sent him a message asking if he would take that much less if I came that day with the rest of the money and paid for it if the test ride was good and it fit.  He told me he would and I went to test ride it, now knowing more of what I had to have feel / fit wise.  I really liked the bike and the fit (had some room to work with).  I checked all the carbon and was told that he had hip damage and never really got to ride it.  He had a computer on it (CatEye) that he did not know how to use, which the LBS probably put on it that showed 165 miles.  I have had the bike since, love it, no longer think about buying another bike, and look forward to riding it.  I still have the road bike, but I don't know how much longer I will keep it for.  I now do everything on my Tri Bike. 

Ok that might not have helped but I just wanted those struggling, to know that I and just about everyone else has had the same issues as you. 

2013-05-17 9:40 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45