BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-02-09 7:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Originally posted by allan_c

Suzy,
I am right there with you on the swim. My first race this year isn't until mid-June, so I am using this time to work as much as possible on the swim. The really rotten weather in the Northeast the last couple of weeks has been really cramping my work-out style for biking and running, but the pool is easier to manage. I did my first sprint tri last year and swam all breast stroke. It was unbelievably slow - people who started in the wave behind me were passing me left and right. BUT, I finished, and it was enough to motivate me to get better for next season! Last season in my training sessions I did almost all breast stroke. This year I am forcing myself to do almost all freestyle. I took a few lessons last year and am focusing on the drills and corrections the teacher taught me at those lessons. When my stamina improves I will go back to lessons for some more pointers.

Good luck with your swimming! We can cheer each other on!

Catherine

Catherine,
I definitely need a Cheerleader!! I am trying to learn the freestyle but it is SLOW! I thought it was suppose to be a fast stroke but I am finding that my breaststroke is faster, lol. I know exactly how you felt, I was not in the last wave but had 2 waves behind me and they all past me and I was the last one out of the water. The crowd support is great, but I do wish that I could just be a few seconds behind rather then several minutes I need to find someone to help me with my swim.

Edited by Suzie471 2015-02-09 8:29 PM

2015-02-09 7:38 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Subject: RE: New packages
Originally posted by Smiley9188

Originally posted by nekomidori

Good Morning Everyone,
I am so excited. My husband surprised and got me my own Garmin. It is like Christmas.
I also got a rice steamer. I don't know if anyone has heard of the book The Feed Zone Portables? It is a great book and you can check it on on Youtube there are videos or on Pinterest. Basically it is 2 guys that cook for cyclist. But one has a Doctorate in Physiology. They both Cycle and they were cooking for teams different years at the Tour de France along with other races. What is cool is I have their cookbook as well.
It gives great yummy recipes that work for what we are trying to do. Without giving us that "gut rot"that comes from eating too much gels, bars, and other special foods. You might have seen their Skatch drinks for sale. Anyways, I wasn't trying to be a commerical but after cooking for 17 years I can wrap my head around real food to feed me through my training. Check it out if your interested.

For all you that are on Myfitnesspal I just downloaded the app as well. I was using a few different apps. I think it would be great to be friends on that app and cheer each other along. I am Nbuckwalter if you want to add me.

Hi Nicole and Liz! I'm on myfitnesspal too. My email is [email protected] feel free to friend me. I can't find you by your name, I need an email or a facebook name. I also got a rice cooker (also a slowcooker and steamer) for christmas. i don't love it so if you make anything delicious, please pass the recipe along to me!

WOW, Todd my stomach is nervous reading your post about the race and what to pack/bring. YIKES! This is such a mental challenge in addition to a physical challenge. There are so many macro and micro things to consider. So exciting. I had someone suggest bringing a bucket to fill with water to rinse your feet off of pebbles. Have you seen people do this? Also, how much space is there? Do people sit down to put on shoes? Or just lean over? After my indoor tri I was surprised how unsteady/disoriented I was after the swim.

Welcome Liz and Laura! Laura, wow, a 3 week old? Bad mama! You are fierce! I have an almost 5 and almost 2 year old!

Allan C, good for you for finding yourself making progress! There is time, my friend. You can do it! Hang in there! And keep practicing! The snow will melt someday! maybe in june?

Suzie, I think you will find that freestyle is easier once you can get your cadence right. Few things to remember, keep your arms low when they are outside the water (so imagine your elbow staying high, not your hand). Also remember to try to keep your arms in constant opposite motion. So when your right hand is at the top of your stroke, your left hand should be at the bottom of your stroke, by your hip at the surface of the water. Also consider pulling your hand in an S movement under your body and then continuing the stroke all the way to your hip. (does that make sense?) And when you are swimming, get comfortable being LOW in the water. Your forehead is out of the water, not your whole face, head or shoulders. Try to think about those things when swimming. You want to sit low, don't use your energy to sit up high, use your energy to move across the water. Keep up the great work!

Nicole- ooh, a garmin! I'm jealous! Lucky you!

Thanks Colleen!! I will try what you have suggested. I am willing to try anything at this point. I even got a video from the library in hopes that I can figure it out
2015-02-09 7:58 PM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

, Connecticut
Subject: RE: training

Today I am getting in some New England triathlon cross training! With our third major snowfall in as many weeks, outdoor running and biking are not an option. I did pull my 6 year old a mile through the snow on her sled though! Tonight I'll be heading out for more of the same as I pull her back from her friend's house. That counts, right?

Catherine

TOTALLY counts Catherine! Where are you in MA? I'm in CT near Hartford. I'm considering doing the Cohasset Sprint Tri on June 28. Are you anywhere close to there?
~Colleen
2015-02-09 8:01 PM
in reply to: Lizfuze

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by Lizfuze

Lizfuse- you have to go to the website to "quote" someone's post. You cAn do that thru the app by going to the full site and accessing forums that way. This site is actually is more user friendly on the full site or on the computer than the app. The app seems great for logging in workouts. I hope that helps! Colleen

Ok I am trying to see if this works.

whoo hoo!
2015-02-09 8:06 PM
in reply to: lauraworz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by lauraworz

I'm so excited to be a turtle!

NAME: Laura

STORY: I've played sports my entire life (soccer & basketball mostly), including tennis in college. Since graduating, I always do one new athletic event each year. I've done a couple marathons, halfs, duathlon, cycling events, open water swims but never a triathlon. This is the year!

FAMILY STATUS: married for 5 years to Jon, who I've known since high school. We have two kids: Noah, 2 1/2 and Grace, 3 weeks (pass the coffee!)

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting Monday, February 9, my goal is to start the 20 week sprint tri 2x balanced program.

2014 RACES: Helvetia Half Marathon

2015 RACES: Lake Oswego Lake Run, Black Butte Tri

WEIGHTLOSS: I have 50 pounds of baby weight that need to get the heck out of here. I can't wait to look like myself again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Growing up playing team sports was my life so I'm a big cheerleader and love to celebrate others' accomplishments. I also respond really well to being yelled at or friendly encouragement.

Welcome to the group Laura!!!
2015-02-09 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This crazy New England weather is killing my trip training! Over the past week the vast majority of my work-outs have been walking to work (2 miles each way) in the crazy snow. Between the school cancellations and craziness at work, I have only managed to get in 1 swim per week the last 3 weeks. Despite this I seem to be making slow progress. When I started I was huffing and puffing at the end of 25 yards freestyle and had to pause for 30 - 40 seconds between lengths of the pool. I've been trying to focus on a different aspect of my stroke with each lap - first lots of attention to breathing, then arms. I will admit that the legs haven't seen much attention...but I once read that traithletes should conserve their legs during the swim to save them for the run and bike. I seem to kick just enough to keep my back end from sinking But, now I can do 50 yards pretty easily without getting too winded. Hopefully if I can get in two swims per week I can make more progress. BUT...another big storm coming tonight, leading to pool and school closures. I can't wait for spring!

You're getting in what you can when you can, which sometimes is a bigger accomplishment.

2015-02-09 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So, here I go! I'm starting the 20 week sprint training tomorrow. I'm doing the one on this site that is focusing on running because I feel like that's where I could use the most improvement- speed and stamina. I can run 3 miles but it's slow and slightly ugly. And a hard. I bought my bike on Friday and she's all set up for a morning workout tomorrow. This will help me tremendously to get all my workouts in.

So Todd, I've decided to name my bike Mary. Ages ago I volunteered for a year working with seniors (mainly the Foster Grandparents Program). I met and befriended this wonderful spunky old woman named Mary who, during that year, bought herself a new purple car (custom color). She chose the color purple so that it would match her lipstick. It still brings a huge smile to my face thinking of her and that crazy car. The color of my bike reminds me of her car, thus reminds me of her. And I can imagine me talking to my bike, begging her to help me finish, etc. So Mary is her name. And I do love her.

So one more thing, I think I've decided on adding a salt water race this summer too. Is there anything different I should know about swimming in salt water versus fresh (except for the obvious: sharks and waves and well, salt). Do I need different gear? Should I plan to rinse off my face in T1 (I probably will anyway). ~Colleen

Great name and even better story. As far as the saltwater, it's all the same, just cleaning up and off after the race is a limitless more difficult. I did splash water in my face when I got out to minimize salt water from getting in my eyes.
2015-02-09 8:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

WET SUIT ADVICE NEEDED - My sprint last year was in super warm water (78 degrees), so I didn't wear a wetsuit, but my first race this year is in June in New England, so I am sure I will need one. I rented one last year and practiced a few times with it, but really felt like a couldn't breathe because it was so tight around my neck as well as in the arms and shoulders. Is this just how they feel and I need to get used to it, or was it just not a good fit for me? Any thoughts about full length versus sleeveless? The swim is my weak point....
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Catherine

A wetsuit is supposed to be tight but not so tight that it doesn't allow your chest to full expand when you breath in. I had a similar problem my first time but later realized I just didn't work the suit up all the way so it felt like it was pulling downward. Tips, body glide all friction area especially the back of your neck, also get the inside of the suit wet before putting it on (goes on earlier). I also found for me that pulling out the neck area and letting water in makes the suit less restrictive. The other question is preference and how cold of area you swim. I have a sleeveless but here in Texas only have one of two races it's legal and those are in the low 70's. If I was up North I'd have a full suit.a lot of the comfort just comes from swim in a wetsuit. Forgot to add that the Xterra wetsuits with BT codes are great suit and customer service will help you with your order.
2015-02-09 8:25 PM
in reply to: Lizfuze

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

Originally posted by Suzie471

How do you reply to a specific post, or people? Suzie I am always looking for friends on fitbit for challenges if you want to be friends

Liz I would love to be your friend on Fitbit. I have had mine now for over a year and you would be my first friend..but you have to tell me how? Lol. I just got my Garmin for Christmas and its my understanding that I can have friends on that too? Been having some issues with the garmin site, but I'm learning.

For reply you have to go to the full site and hit the quote button. Unfortunately you do not have this option with the app.

Susie I just found your email and sent you a friend request. You are from my area. I live in columbia city and work in Fort Wayne

Liz Really?!? You live in Columbia City? That's awesome!! Where do you work at in Fort Wayne? I work at PRMC (Parkview Regional Medical Center) on Dupont. (actually there right now) I will check my Fitbit and see about the friend request
2015-02-09 8:27 PM
in reply to: libbyfhenderson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by libbyfhenderson

Thanks for the helpful ideas on the swimming!

I swam farther today at lunch than I have since I started this, but it was still really hard. I'm working on my breathing, and I told myself I could continue to rest at the end of each 25 yd length, but mostly rested between laps. I keep telling myself it will get better, but darn, I remember this being so much easier when I was a kid!

I'm looking forward to the stroke training that starts next week -- if I keep plugging away, it will get better, right? Surely it must . . . I need a nap now!

It does get easier and you will improve. One day at a time and don't get frustrated!
2015-02-09 8:48 PM

User image

Today I am getting in some New England triathlon cross training! With our third major snowfall in as many weeks, outdoor running and biking are not an option. I did pull my 6 year old a mile through the snow on her sled though! Tonight I'll be heading out for more of the same as I pull her back from her friend's house. That counts, right?

Catherine

TOTALLY counts Catherine! Where are you in MA? I'm in CT near Hartford. I'm considering doing the Cohasset Sprint Tri on June 28. Are you anywhere close to there?
~Colleen

Thanks Colleen! I ended up with about 5 miles of trudging through the snow today, so not so bad even though it doesn't fit neatly into the "swim/bike/run" categories. I was definitely working up a sweat pulling my daughter through the snow!

I live in Cambridge, MA, home to an obscene amount of snow in the last 3 weeks, I've just given up even trying to dig my car out at this point and walk everywhere.

I am doing the "Escape the Cape" Sprint Tri on June 13. The Cohassett Sprint looks nice, but I will be away on business that week. I'm also doing the Title 9 Women's Only Sprint Tri in Hopkinson, MA in Septmeber. I did that one last year - it was a fantastic race. I highly recommend it, and it's only a couple hours from you. It has a very supportive atmosphere.

Good luck with your snow training too!

Catherine

2015-02-09 8:54 PM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Suzy,
I am right there with you on the swim. My first race this year isn't until mid-June, so I am using this time to work as much as possible on the swim. The really rotten weather in the Northeast the last couple of weeks has been really cramping my work-out style for biking and running, but the pool is easier to manage. I did my first sprint tri last year and swam all breast stroke. It was unbelievably slow - people who started in the wave behind me were passing me left and right. BUT, I finished, and it was enough to motivate me to get better for next season! Last season in my training sessions I did almost all breast stroke. This year I am forcing myself to do almost all freestyle. I took a few lessons last year and am focusing on the drills and corrections the teacher taught me at those lessons. When my stamina improves I will go back to lessons for some more pointers.

Catherine

Catherine,
I definitely need a Cheerleader!! I am trying to learn the freestyle but it is SLOW! I thought it was suppose to be a fast stroke but I am finding that my breaststroke is faster, lol. I know exactly how you felt, I was not in the last wave but had 2 waves behind me and they all past me and I was the last one out of the water. The crowd support is great, but I do wish that I could just be a few seconds behind rather then several minutes I need to find someone to help me with my swim.

Suzie,
I will definitely cheer you on. When is your first race? Mine is mid-June, so I still have a decent amount of time to make progress. We can do this!

Catherine
2015-02-09 8:57 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

WET SUIT ADVICE NEEDED - My sprint last year was in super warm water (78 degrees), so I didn't wear a wetsuit, but my first race this year is in June in New England, so I am sure I will need one. I rented one last year and practiced a few times with it, but really felt like a couldn't breathe because it was so tight around my neck as well as in the arms and shoulders. Is this just how they feel and I need to get used to it, or was it just not a good fit for me? Any thoughts about full length versus sleeveless? The swim is my weak point....
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Catherine

A wetsuit is supposed to be tight but not so tight that it doesn't allow your chest to full expand when you breath in. I had a similar problem my first time but later realized I just didn't work the suit up all the way so it felt like it was pulling downward. Tips, body glide all friction area especially the back of your neck, also get the inside of the suit wet before putting it on (goes on earlier). I also found for me that pulling out the neck area and letting water in makes the suit less restrictive. The other question is preference and how cold of area you swim. I have a sleeveless but here in Texas only have one of two races it's legal and those are in the low 70's. If I was up North I'd have a full suit.a lot of the comfort just comes from swim in a wetsuit. Forgot to add that the Xterra wetsuits with BT codes are great suit and customer service will help you with your order.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I am wimpy about cold water, so I better go with the full suit! When the outdoor swimming venues thaw around here I will head to our local trip shop to try on a few different brands. I can't imagine I will swim outdoors before late May, so I will only have a couple weeks to practice with the wetsuit. I'll just have to focus on building as much stamina and confidence as I can in the pool for now.
2015-02-09 9:49 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

Suzy,

Catherine

Catherine,

Suzie,
I will definitely cheer you on. When is your first race? Mine is mid-June, so I still have a decent amount of time to make progress. We can do this!

Catherine

Catherine,
My first one is April 18th YIKES!! That doesn't seem so far away!

Edited by Suzie471 2015-02-09 9:50 PM
2015-02-10 7:00 AM

User image

, Tennessee
Welcome Liz and Laura. Liz, I am celebrating the big 50 later this year myself and have decided to embrace it and hit it head on. What better way than to complete a triathlon.

Colleen, love the story behind your bike name. What a motivator!

Suzue, are you a nurse? You mentioned working at a hospital. I am a RN, work second shift as the nursing supervisor.

Nicole - a Garmin! Congratulations, what a great gift.

Sounds like everyone is doing a great job tackling the demons of the swim.. The swim must be the challenge for most of us. Heading to the pool myself this morning. Just trying to build up a little endurance and then will start the zero to 1650 program. My Y is talking of starting a pre-masters swim program - will definitely join that group if it gets up and going.

Hope everyone accomplishes their training goals this week.

Make it a great day!

Michelle
2015-02-10 9:53 AM

NAME: Ryan Smith

STORY: I've always tried to stay pretty healthy. I've been working out in a local gym for a few years now but started running again about a year ago. Now wanting to try a sprint and see if I like it.

FAMILY STATUS: 33, married with a 4 year old little girl

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now i'm running 5 days a week(3,5,3,5,10) and swimming twice a week. Biking off and on since November on a trainer. Going to start biking 5 days a week starting next week.

2014 RACES: Last year did a 5k, 2 10ks and a half marathon.

2015 RACES: Wanting to do 2 10ks, maybe one or two 5ks and a half to finish the year. Planning on trying my first sprint at the end of May and maybe try another sprint or olympic in August or September.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really looking to lose weight. I'm 5'9 and 160 right now. I know I could probably drop 10lbs if I wanted but I'm afraid I would lose some muscle mass which might hurt my goals.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've always been a reader mostly on forums. I try to soak up as much info as possible before I start asking questions. I like to help answer questions but that will be hard to do when I'm pretty new myself.

2015-02-10 10:32 AM
in reply to: gnat1000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by gnat1000

NAME: Ryan Smith

STORY: I've always tried to stay pretty healthy. I've been working out in a local gym for a few years now but started running again about a year ago. Now wanting to try a sprint and see if I like it.

FAMILY STATUS: 33, married with a 4 year old little girl

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now i'm running 5 days a week(3,5,3,5,10) and swimming twice a week. Biking off and on since November on a trainer. Going to start biking 5 days a week starting next week.

2014 RACES: Last year did a 5k, 2 10ks and a half marathon.

2015 RACES: Wanting to do 2 10ks, maybe one or two 5ks and a half to finish the year. Planning on trying my first sprint at the end of May and maybe try another sprint or olympic in August or September.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really looking to lose weight. I'm 5'9 and 160 right now. I know I could probably drop 10lbs if I wanted but I'm afraid I would lose some muscle mass which might hurt my goals.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've always been a reader mostly on forums. I try to soak up as much info as possible before I start asking questions. I like to help answer questions but that will be hard to do when I'm pretty new myself.

Welcome Ryan,

You have a really strong run base which can carry you a long way in Tri. You'd be surprised just how much you can already help others.

Again welcome
2015-02-10 12:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I do have a question though. It is about training. My current weekly running schedule is as follows...

Mon: 3 miles(8:30 pace)
Tuesday 5 miles(9:00 pace)
Wednesday: 3 miles(8:30 pace)
Thursday: 5 miles(9:00 pace)
Saturday: 10 miles(9:30 pace)

My overall plan is as follows...

Stay at this total for 3 weeks
1 week taper (-25% volume)
2 weeks 3,5,3,5,12
1 week 3,6,3,6,12
1 week 3,6,3,6,12
2 weeks 4,6,4,6,12

My plan after that is to stay at the same miles per week (4,6,4,6,12) but work on increasing pace like this...
2 weeks 4,6,4,6,12 (now 9:15 pace for 12 mile)
1 week 4,6,4,6,12 (now 8:45 pace for 6 mile)
1 week 4,6,4,6,12
2 weeks 4,6,4,6,12 (now 8:15 pace for 4 mile)
2 weeks 4,6,4,6,12 (now 9:00 pace for 12 mile) etc...

Do you think this is a good plan or should I just keep increasing my weekly mileage? The longest race I plan on doing this year is a half marathon.

Edited by gnat1000 2015-02-10 12:06 PM
2015-02-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: Gabby'smom

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by Gabby'smom

Welcome Liz and Laura. Liz, I am celebrating the big 50 later this year myself and have decided to embrace it and hit it head on. What better way than to complete a triathlon.

Suzue, are you a nurse? You mentioned working at a hospital. I am a RN, work second shift as the nursing supervisor.

Sounds like everyone is doing a great job tackling the demons of the swim.. The swim must be the challenge for most of us. Heading to the pool myself this morning. Just trying to build up a little endurance and then will start the zero to 1650 program. My Y is talking of starting a pre-masters swim program - will definitely join that group if it gets up and going.

Make it a great day!

Michelle

Michelle,
Yes I am a nurse I work split shifts. I go in at 3pm and usually get off @ 5am. I am the nursing supervisor for evenings and night shift in surgery. My hours are sometimes difficult for me to find swim time. Right now the pool I go to has high school swim practice in the mornings. So no open swim times until afternoon which is making it hard for me to get there before work
2015-02-10 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
can anyone join? I am thinking about doing a sprint and maybe an oly this year. trying to get some balance and consistency back in 2015, I think I have done 2 tri's since december 2007
2015-02-10 6:58 PM

Originally posted by Gabby'smom

Make it a great day!

Michelle

Michelle,
Yes I am a nurse I work split shifts. I go in at 3pm and usually get off @ 5am. I am the nursing supervisor for evenings and night shift in surgery. My hours are sometimes difficult for me to find swim time. Right now the pool I go to has high school swim practice in the mornings. So no open swim times until afternoon which is making it hard for me to get there before work

Suzie and Michelle I too work in a hospital the dreaded five days a week makes it hard to get to the gym but I try to go after work before I get home to deal with kids and dinner
What is the zero to 1650 program
What Y are you going to that is thinking of starting a masters swim and what does that really mean?

2015-02-10 7:05 PM

How do you reply to a specific post, or people? Suzie I am always looking for friends on fitbit for challenges if you want to be friends

Liz I would love to be your friend on Fitbit. I have had mine now for over a year and you would be my first friend..but you have to tell me how? Lol. I just got my Garmin for Christmas and its my understanding that I can have friends on that too? Been having some issues with the garmin site, but I'm learning.

For reply you have to go to the full site and hit the quote button. Unfortunately you do not have this option with the app.

Susie I just found your email and sent you a friend request. You are from my area. I live in columbia city and work in Fort Wayne

Liz Really?!? You live in Columbia City? That's awesome!! Where do you work at in Fort Wayne? I work at PRMC (Parkview Regional Medical Center) on Dupont. (actually there right now) I will check my Fitbit and see about the friend request

Susie I work at PRMC too. Have you done a sprint before? I think the hardest for me will be the biking. I don't even have a bike yet. Yikes
I am really excited to be part of this group. I need cheerleaders to keep me motivated
2015-02-10 8:27 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by peto_primo

can anyone join? I am thinking about doing a sprint and maybe an oly this year. trying to get some balance and consistency back in 2015, I think I have done 2 tri's since december 2007

DANG TROLL.

To those in the group let me explain. Peto has been around for a long time and has done it all and then some. I first meet Peto during the Tour de France challenge here on BT and he became like my Mentor. Peto was the one on the team that I didn't want to let down and still don't. You are more than welcome and your advice and guidance are appreciated. In all honesty I also learned how to be a positive cheerleader from Peto as he was our captain every year and always encouraged and inspired.

Thank you Sir!
2015-02-10 8:31 PM
in reply to: gnat1000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by gnat1000

Thanks for the welcome! I do have a question though. It is about training. My current weekly running schedule is as follows...

Mon: 3 miles(8:30 pace)
Tuesday 5 miles(9:00 pace)
Wednesday: 3 miles(8:30 pace)
Thursday: 5 miles(9:00 pace)
Saturday: 10 miles(9:30 pace)

My overall plan is as follows...

Stay at this total for 3 weeks
2 weeks 3,5,3,5,12
1 week 3,6,3,6,12
1 week 3,6,3,6,12
2 weeks 4,6,4,6,12

My plan after that is to stay at the same miles per week (4,6,4,6,12) but work on increasing pace like this...
2 weeks 4,6,4,6,12 (now 9:15 pace for 12 mile)
1 week 4,6,4,6,12 (now 8:45 pace for 6 mile)
1 week 4,6,4,6,12
2 weeks 4,6,4,6,12 (now 8:15 pace for 4 mile)
2 weeks 4,6,4,6,12 (now 9:00 pace for 12 mile) etc...

Do you think this is a good plan or should I just keep increasing my weekly mileage? The longest race I plan on doing this year is a half marathon.

I don't see a problem but in all honesty I've never had that kind of volume even before my Half Ironman's and my Marathon. I finally started an actual half marathon plan last week and hope that at the completion I will have grown to enjoy running. I just love riding and swimming so running has always taken a back seat. I'm using All of Higdon's plan this time instead of pieces of it.
2015-02-10 9:03 PM

Hi,

Before I post my bio I just wanted to know if this group is still open. I actually just found this website recently and just registered now. I know I'm coming in late to the game.

Thanks.

Ching
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1133 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.